• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Have you been watching the new fights from Tier 14? A lot of them seem a lot more complicated than tier 13. I was telling a friend one mine that that tier is going to be extremely hard to pug on our crappy server. A lot of those fights have a lot of mechanics that can be easily fucked up by a pug that sucks at not standing on fire and whatnot.

Westlo

Just managed to snag Hyperion Chest for 500g and Legs for 200g, if I transmog them for my Warrior that makes them soulbound yeah?

Entropia

No One Remembers
The largest games convention on Earth is happening in Cologne, Germany from August 15 to 19 this year. Blizzard Entertainment is excited to announce our presence at gamescom 2012, where visitors will have the chance to witness the world premiere of the World of Warcraft®: Mists of Pandaria™ opening cinematic. The latest creation from Blizzard’s cinematics team will be shown on giant screens at our booth on Thursday, August 16, the first fully public day of the event.

We’re also pleased to announce that this year we’ll be showcasing World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria, Diablo® III, and StarCraft® II: Heart of the Swarm™! Don’t miss your chance to experience the games first-hand and to meet members of the development teams. In addition, be sure to get creative and join in our famous dance and costume competitions.

Visit the Blizzard Entertainment booth in Halle 6.1 (B21) at the Koelnmesse in Cologne and prepare to be epically entertained. For more information on gamescom, check out the official site.

Woooo!

Yanger: Are you considering a main swap? I haven't tested the new raid content yet (or even level 90) but how are Monks doing right now in all of their specs? I know the guilds you run with typically want whatever is best lol

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The largest games convention on Earth is happening in Cologne, Germany from August 15 to 19 this year. Blizzard Entertainment is excited to announce our presence at gamescom 2012, where visitors will have the chance to witness the world premiere of the World of Warcraft®: Mists of Pandaria™ opening cinematic. The latest creation from Blizzard’s cinematics team will be shown on giant screens at our booth on Thursday, August 16, the first fully public day of the event.
Source: http://eu.battle.net//wow/en/blog/5337387

If I'm not mistaken, the cinematic for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm debuted on the 17th of October 2010, a few days prior to BlizzCon that year. Now, as there will be no BlizzCon this year, I assume Blizzard simply wanted a suitable event for this cinematic to be shown, but could it speak for release date as well? Cataclysm launched less than two months after its cinematic premiered.

Edit: Darn, Entropia beat me to it.

Opening Cinematic --> Release Impending.

Definitely. 3 months out at most unless there is a major delay.

Which interestingly enough doesn't say much, as 3 months out from August is November.

If it's that late, I'll be even more disappointed with the release schedule than I already am, having nothing new at all for 11 months. I guess they figured they could sit on their laurels a bit though between annual pass (guaranteed income) and Diablo III taking some of the sting away (crossover appeal).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I dont really mind if its only releasing in something like October. With GW2 coming in late august, i definitely do not want to have MoP coming only a few weeks later.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Opening Cinematic --> Release Impending.

Definitely. 3 months out at most unless there is a major delay.

Which interestingly enough doesn't say much, as 3 months out from August is November.

If it's that late, I'll be even more disappointed with the release schedule than I already am, having nothing new at all for 11 months. I guess they figured they could sit on their laurels a bit though between annual pass (guaranteed income) and Diablo III taking some of the sting away (crossover appeal).

Yeah. Blizzard can't do this anymore. If MoP -> next expansion does this again, I'm out.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah. Blizzard can't do this anymore. If MoP -> next expansion does this again, I'm out.

I'm the same, no annual pass for a free Diablo III expansion during 1 year of no new WoW content will grab me this time. Fool me once...

I'll just cancel and resub months later when it actually release.

qwerty2k

Right, quick question (i hope), i had authenticator on my battle.net account....however i deleted the app off my iPhone (and the backup on my laptop) so now i can't get into my account, do i have to request authenticator be removed from my account so i can get back in or is there another way?

Touch

Gaf, do I reroll monk or not? Waffling.

(Was a rogue in vanilla/BC. Was a DK in Wrath/Cata [tank primarily until Firelands])
Rogue since the beginning. The changes have a lot of us thinking about rerolling Monk but I'm going to stick with my shit. Mutilate is looking pretty sick. Right now I only play Combat and Sub. Thinking about respec to Mutilate to get use to it before MoP release. #moardots

Arsin

I have a Scroll of Resurrection up for grabs, if anyone in NA wants it. My server is on the west cost and I play on the Horde side if that matters.

If I can put my two cents in about Mists, after playing the beta and watching some of the dungeon vids I must say I am pretty excited for it. I was very quickly reminded why WoW can always bring me back in: fun to play content, good quest design, and super interesting (at least to me) lore for the Pandas. Now all this to say I am still very disappointed by how Bilzz is handling the release of this expansion. The just total lack of content in the game now is just bad business. I am not sure about most of you, but I have not logged on in at least 4 months, mostly just for lack of things to do. If they don't push out this expansion by September time frame, I think they are going to lose a large amount of their annual subscriber base. Unless of course they offer Heart of the Swarm for free next year...

(Was a rogue in vanilla/BC. Was a DK in Wrath/Cata [tank primarily until Firelands])

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the monk archetype, though the one have for WoW seems alright. I probably wouldn't main one as they're almost certainly in for a lollercoaster of buffs/nerfs, and putting up with that can be stressful (as I'm sure you also experienced with DKs during Wrath.)

I haven't tried one myself though, so I couldn't say for sure how good/fun they are. Definitely plan on rolling one at least to 40 or so.

As for myself and switching mains:

It depends on how well they handle account-wide achievements/mounts. If they do it well enough that I'm comfortable with leaving my DK, I'll probably (at least temporarily) retire him as my main. He's had too much put into him until this point for me to really feel good about leaving him with all the achievements, reps grinded (etc.), and just general history.

I'm thinking about going Resto Druid as my main spec/class, probably switching around between the other specs as a secondary. If not that, I may go ranged DPS of some sort to do something I haven't really done competitively. If I don't stick with the DK and do decide to tank, then it's between Prot Warrior or Prot Pally, but probably the Warrior. Just straight melee DPS is almost certainly out though (again, unless I choose to stay with the DK.)

Rokal

Wait for addons to be added to the beta (next patch) and try out a pre-made 85 monk. I found playing without addons to be pretty obnoxious, so I'm looking forward to giving monk another shot when I can use them.

Probably switching from my rogue to a monk or priest for MoP.

I'm curious to see what their roll up to the new event is though. They know we're getting itchy. There's obviously something major that happens but I'm not sure any of us know how that's gonna happen.

I'd love to go through something like the storming of Undercity again but like a raid related to all the shit that's about to go down.

Man, I still remember how fucking giddy I was for that...

We know Jaina is gonna go batshit crazy - I wanna be there for it, dammit!

scoobs

I already bought all my monk gear in preparation for the level grind. Cant wait, but it will have to wait until i get my DK to 90. DK continues to be my favorite class and i have 5 85s

ampere

Have you played rogue recently? If so, how do feel about them? Do you care about being able to heal? DK dps/tanking looks like it will still be pretty great in MoP.

I main a rogue right now and monk on beta feels like a better version of rogue, sans stealth (but plus tank/heals :p). Played a shaman for years prior. I'm pretty set on rerolling, I love the option of being able to tank, and my guild might need me to in MoP.

When addons get enabled later today in beta, I'm gonna get a 'needtoknow' config going for my monk as dps and see how things feel. I like it so far, but there are some thing that a tracker would make more enjoyable.

Right, quick question (i hope), i had authenticator on my battle.net account....however i deleted the app off my iPhone (and the backup on my laptop) so now i can't get into my account, do i have to request authenticator be removed from my account so i can get back in or is there another way?
There should be a 'backup' code that you got when you added the authenticator. Hopefully you wrote that down or took a screencap? You can use that code to remove the authenticator.
If you don't have the code, you're probably going to have to call Blizzard and they'll confirm it's really you, etc

Hold on, I'm sure this is probably beaten to death here, but there's no Blizzcon this year? What's up with that? :0

I think they wanted to focus on just getting stuff done. BlizzCon is a huge planning and staffing event. With D3 and Mist out in the same year, that's a lot of resources to be taking away.

PatzCU

I said the same thing about WotLK -> Cata, and behold, Blizz did it again. Months to a year with no new content. Consequently, I canceled my sub for the first time since WoW launch and don't plan on resubbing. Blizzard is on their 4th expansion and they still haven't figured this shit out which is completely ridiculous.

idlewild_

I think they wanted to focus on just getting stuff done. BlizzCon is a huge planning and staffing event. With D3 and Mist out in the same year, that's a lot of resources to be taking away.

I'm not sure they would have much to show this year. D3 and MoP will be out and the next content patch for MoP would not be ready; the entire show would have to be about HotS.

I'm not sure they would have much to show this year. D3 and MoP will be out and the next content patch for MoP would not be ready; the entire show would have to be about HotS.

Maybe... they could still host panels and workshops and have other just misc things to do. You can have a fan event without having anything to announce. But since the trend has been that they DO have something new to show off... yeah. :\

Fjordson

So...I'm installing the free trial version, where you can play up to level 20. Had my cousin in town that I played vanilla with, hadn't seen him in years, and we started talking about the game. Been heavy with WoW nostalgia all week now :lol

Haven't played since since Wrath, but I really feel like getting back into it. Hoping I don't get too consumed (busy with work right now) but it sounds like things are slow right now anyways while Blizz gears up for MoP.

So...I'm installing the free trial version, where you can play up to level 20. Had my cousin in town that I played vanilla with, hadn't seem in years, and we started talking about the game. Been heavy with WoW nostalgia all week now :lol

Haven't played since since Wrath, but I really feel like getting back into it. Hoping I don't get too consumed (busy with work right now) but it sounds like things are slow right now anyways while Blizz gears up for MoP.

It's always a fgod time to level an alt IMO. It is one of WoW's great strengths. My wife and I duo quest while waiting for instance ques to pop. It works perfectly. You get great exp and loot in instances and move through quest areas at a nice pace. All the classes work really well together while leveling, but a healer or tank+ other will get you both into instances rather quick. Play 2 dps if you don't mind the additional wait time. My wife and I often prefer it that way and spec accordingly.

Fjordson

It's always a fgod time to level an alt IMO. It is one of WoW's great strengths. My wife and I duo quest while waiting for instance ques to pop. It works perfectly. You get great exp and loot in instances and move through quest areas at a nice pace. All the classes work really well together while leveling, but a healer or tank+ other will get you both into instances rather quick. Play 2 dps if you don't mind the additional wait time. My wife and I often prefer it that way and spec accordingly.
Yeah, that is true. I really enjoyed what little I did of leveling in Cata.

I could probably start working on a new main actually. I played a holy priest through most of vanilla, and a hunter after that through BC and Wrath, but I don't feel like sticking with him going forward. Thinking of rolling a rogue or a tank for MoP.

Pollux

I'm sitting here on a Friday evening and I didn't go out since I'm still feeling it from last night....the urge to resub is growing...

Fjordson

I'm sitting here on a Friday evening and I didn't go out since I'm still feeling it from last night....the urge to resub is growing...
Same. Logged onto my starter account mage for a few minutes earlier...definitely thinking about it.

The only thing that sucks is this will be the first time since WoW came out in '04 that I won't have a core group of friends and family to play with. They've pretty much all stopped playing for good (or so they say). I guess it's not really a deal breaker with things like raid finder, groups finder, and everything else Blizz has implemented to make things more convenient, but the social element was a big part of the fun for me.

Same. Logged onto my starter account mage for a few minutes earlier...definitely thinking about it.

The only thing that sucks is this will be the first time since WoW came out in '04 that I won't have a core group of friends and family to play with. They've pretty much all stopped playing for good (or so they say). I guess it's not really a deal breaker with things like raid finder, groups finder, and everything else Blizz has implemented to make things more convenient, but the social element was a big part of the fun for me.

But the opportunities for new people are great. You might not even meet them in the first guild you join. But when you do find the right people... it just fits and it's awesome. And you make new friends and it's rad. I honestly don't play with anyone I met or knew back in Dec 04 but I like my "new" people and I wouldn't trade the experiences I had with them for anything.

Fjordson

But the opportunities for new people are great. You might not even meet them in the first guild you join. But when you do find the right people... it just fits and it's awesome. And you make new friends and it's rad. I honestly don't play with anyone I met or knew back in Dec 04 but I like my "new" people and I wouldn't trade the experiences I had with them for anything.
That's a good point. I had a group like that way back when I started playing BC and some of my friends took a break. Like 5 guys from Montreal randomly on my server :lol been friends with them on and off the game ever since.

Touch

Anyone on Emerald Dream? I have been level 1ing some other realms lately and this one seems like it would be fun. Most of the other realms I have visited are just "lesser opposites" of Illidan.

Westlo

I started up a second account so I could cross faction trade... but when I made a level 1 on it to check out things... I was amazed at the state of Blackrock Alliance... completely dead. Ended up transferring my 60 priest to that account but going to Frostmourne instead... (now that's more like it...) and than I had to transfer my main to Froustmourne Horde too... should've done the research I guess.. but I never would have expected Blackrock to fall to such a sad state... heck when I quit the game it was the gladiator hotspot back in the bg9 craze, even before that it was such a active server.... Horde side seemed much less than usual but I put that down to pre-MOP blues... but alliance... less than 50 characters doing a who 1-80....

Has this become common place or something? Some servers just utterly dominated by one faction? I heard about Illidan... are Blizzard trying to do something about this? I hope they smartly pick their "x-server zone realms" smartly but even that doesn't stop a dead economy from being dead. Is there really a need for so many servers that they have? I hope they consider mergers after the initial wave of MOP hype dies down.

Fjordson

Damn, I always remember Blackrock being one of the most active servers around. Never had a regular toon on there, but had a good friend that was there for years because of the good PvP.

That's something I'll have to look into if I start playing again regularly. Need at least a decently populated server. For some reason it creeps me out when everything (even major cities) is a ghost town :lol

My server from vanilla and BC was Laughing Skull. Logged on there for an hour or so on my starter account, seems to still be doing okay. Remember it was real busy back in the day when the Leroy Jenkins video came out because he and his guild were on Laughing Skull.

ch0mp

I started up a second account so I could cross faction trade... but when I made a level 1 on it to check out things... I was amazed at the state of Blackrock Alliance... completely dead. Ended up transferring my 60 priest to that account but going to Frostmourne instead... (now that's more like it...) and than I had to transfer my main to Froustmourne Horde too... should've done the research I guess.. but I never would have expected Blackrock to fall to such a sad state... heck when I quit the game it was the gladiator hotspot back in the bg9 craze, even before that it was such a active server.... Horde side seemed much less than usual but I put that down to pre-MOP blues... but alliance... less than 50 characters doing a who 1-80....

Has this become common place or something? Some servers just utterly dominated by one faction? I heard about Illidan... are Blizzard trying to do something about this? I hope they smartly pick their "x-server zone realms" smartly but even that doesn't stop a dead economy from being dead. Is there really a need for so many servers that they have? I hope they consider mergers after the initial wave of MOP hype dies down.
Pretty much. People flock to higher pop sides on high pop servers... ends up with everyone on either horde or alliance.

mackaveli

What's the best way to get into this game? Any free trials that you can actually play the game and not be hampered with like a lvl 20 restriction etc.?

Cheap deals? How much is it for subscribing?

I want to play a MMORPG and SWTOR didn't do it for me.

I played WoW on a friends account for 10 days and it was fun and im itching to play it again.

Are the servers packed with population? SWTOR was dead, WoW I forget how it was when I played.

I was thinking of FFXIV but there seems to be some downtime when 2.0 beta comes out so I think maybe I'll try that next year when it's actually out.

Pollux

Pm me your email if you want a scroll!
I'll keep the offer in mind, thanks. I just know that if I do end up re-subscribing I'll get into it again and it will consume all my free time. I think I'll wait until Mists comes out.

Why are you making this harder for me to resist...stop it lol

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
What's the best way to get into this game? Any free trials that you can actually play the game and not be hampered with like a lvl 20 restriction etc.?

I played WoW on a friends account for 10 days and it was fun and im itching to play it again.

Are the servers packed with population? SWTOR was dead, WoW I forget how it was when I played.

I was thinking of FFXIV but there seems to be some downtime when 2.0 beta comes out so I think maybe I'll try that next year when it's actually out.

http://www.wowprogress.com/realms/rank/us

This is semi-accurate, except it's rated by progression on the list, instead of population, but you can see that right there anyway...

Frostmourne and Barthilas are Australian Servers, Illidan is the most populated horde server, and Tichondrius and Sargeras are the two most populated Alliance servers.

I recently moved from Bronzebeard to Sargeras, I chose Sargeras since it has the best continental US Alliance population, and so far it's been great compared to what I'm used to. You can pretty much do whatever you want to do, whenever you want. Trade Chat is actually useful instead of being Troll Chat.

GLopez12

Neo Member
Anyone on Emerald Dream? I have been level 1ing some other realms lately and this one seems like it would be fun. Most of the other realms I have visited are just "lesser opposites" of Illidan.

I am. Factions are close to balanced, and there's tons of world PvP. It's awesome.

Dresden

Probably gonna make my SoR 80 on emerald dream.

Dunno if I'm going to keep playing until MOP once I hit 85, though. The thought of gearing up again is a pain.

Draxal

I'll be honest it with you, now's not the time to start upwow, wait till pandaria hits, and you get the cross server leveling zones.

Top Bottom