• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Rokam

Not to mention if you level now, zones are empty... which means rare mobs and chests are all yours even on populated realms which equals faster leveling! And once you hit Northrend, chests = $$$ as most of them have Book of Glyph Mastery which sell for quite a bit.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Unless you REALLY REALLY want to group with monks!

Jesus it's gonna be bad.

Getting the hang of the game now will get you on relatively equal footing when the expansion comes out. I started playing about a year before WotLK came out and it made it a lot better for me.

What's the best way to get into this game? Any free trials that you can actually play the game and not be hampered with like a lvl 20 restriction etc.?

Cheap deals? How much is it for subscribing?

I want to play a MMORPG and SWTOR didn't do it for me.

I played WoW on a friends account for 10 days and it was fun and im itching to play it again.

Are the servers packed with population? SWTOR was dead, WoW I forget how it was when I played.

I was thinking of FFXIV but there seems to be some downtime when 2.0 beta comes out so I think maybe I'll try that next year when it's actually out.
I'm in the exact same position as you.

I picked up WoW Battle Chest (Vanilla+Burning Crusade) for ~10 quid a while back. Also got WoTLK for 9 quid and most recently, Cataclysm for 8 quid (nice progression: 10->9->8, hehe).
For now, it's just sitting on my shelf and waiting...

I downloaded the client, patched the game to it's fullest and all I need is a 60 day subscription (for start) and I'm good to go.
BUT
that will wait a while since I have a huge backlog right now and I'm not ready to start WoW until I commit myself fully to it.

Dresden

Wow, people are like

pvping and shit

this is a decent server. The shock of actually seeing people outside of an auction house may be affecting my judgment.

Pre

Wow, people are like

pvping and shit

this is a decent server. The shock of actually seeing people outside of an auction house may be affecting my judgment.

I only wish people did something on my server besides sit around in Stormwind and Orgrimmar. Questing is the main thing I do in the game, and it's depressing to often be the only person in the zone I'm at. I do plenty of dungeons, but I like hanging out in the world.

qwerty2k

Looks like I've been suckered back into WoW, you know what though? i actually enjoy being in the world and messing about than i do actually questing and 'playing' the game. Had a blast at the festival and just messing around.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I only wish people did something on my server besides sit around in Stormwind and Orgrimmar. Questing is the main thing I do in the game, and it's depressing to often be the only person in the zone I'm at. I do plenty of dungeons, but I like hanging out in the world.

Huh?

You can run out of quests real fast now.

Hanging out in the world. What does that even mean? The world is so tiny. I can get from anywhere in WoW in 5 minutes or less. Why hang around accomplishing nothing?

Touch

Wow, people are like

pvping and shit

ED right?

I might be coming there soon enough. Good to hear you are enjoying it. It's going to be strange actually playing this game with people again.

mackaveli

Hey, does anyone have a Scroll of Resurrection that I could use to get back into the game? My buddies account only had Wraith of Lich King and I guess if you use a scroll you get a free upgrade to Cataclysm.

That would be great :)

Cipherr

Huh?

Hanging out in the world. What does that even mean? The world is so tiny. I can get from anywhere in WoW in 5 minutes or less. Why hang around accomplishing nothing?

In comparison to WHAT exactly in the genre? I really cannot think of an MMO with more quests than WoW, and I certainly cannot think of one with more area thats actually used. Large swathes of unused land doesnt count. He can do quests from all level ranges, not just Cata. I know I did considering they redid the entire low level areas. And the areas in game are indeed massive. Being able to get from point A to point B without an hour of travel time doesnt change the fact that there is a ton of used land in the game.

Wow, people are like

pvping and shit

Im probably about to move to Stormrage with a few people I know that are there already soon. Its supposedly a ridiculously active PvE server, with pugs literally going 24/7. I made a level 1 ther before work a few mornings ago around 4AM and when I got to SW the trade channel had PUG raid spam and folks recruiting for "AM Raid guilds". I mean holy shit.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Huh?

The world of WoW is definitely not tiny with Kalimdor, EK, Outlands, Northend and soon Pandaria. Unless you only count being a 85 that use the high lvl portals to get to high lvl zones while ignoring that the rest of the world exist... =/

Run out of quests? I always have enough quests while lvling, hell, i even leave zones before i've done all their quests since i lvl so fast, are we playing the same game?

Draxal

Are the servers packed with population? SWTOR was dead, WoW I forget how it was when I played.

Nope. Now is the time to start, you don't want to start at 1 when everyone else is at 85.

If he wants to play on a busier server with players actually leveling alts (especially with monks and cross server)/not playing diablo etc, and excited about end game. Now's not the time to start. Year long kill content voids kills alot of interest.

If he wants to have an 85 prepped for end game now's the time to start.

Cipherr

If he wants to play on a busier server with players actually leveling alts/not playing diablo etc, and excited about end game. Now's not the time to start. Year long kill content voids kills alot of interest.

If he wants to have an 85 prepped for end game now's the time to start.

Yeah, plus in the expansion arent they started that combines zones stuff? Where like when you go to a zone without many people, you share that zone with a bunch of other servers, so the areas are all packed with people again?

Or was that just a rumor.

Draxal

Yeah, plus in the expansion arent they started that combines zones stuff? Where like when you go to a zone without many people, you share that zone with a bunch of other servers, so the areas are all packed with people again?

Or was that just a rumor.

It's definitely in (I posted my previous post a bit too fast and since have edited it). It's a nice way to combat to the fact that leveling zones are pretty devoid of people.

mackaveli

I got a scroll of resurrection but it didn't work?

The email I got the invite sent to was not my battle.net login. Could that be the problem?

Pre

Yeah, I'm stoked for what they're doing with cross-realm zones in MoP. I'm hoping it will add a lot of delicious world PvP.

mackaveli

Hey, Jupiter was nice enough to send me an invite but I ****'ed up by giving the wrong email address and can only send one scroll per day.

We will try again tomorrow but in the mean time if anyone has a spare scroll that could send me today so i can try playing the game today would be excellent :).

Please let me know.

Jupiter

Hey, Jupiter was nice enough to send me an invite but I ****'ed up by giving the wrong email address and can only send one scroll per day.

We will try again tomorrow but in the mean time if anyone has a spare scroll that could send me today so i can try playing the game today would be excellent :).

Please let me know.

Just sent you one in game, so it 2 per day, that way.

yeah, checking my email, and account, hopefully i get it :)

Got it.

Thanks a lot.

Does Catalycsm auto install or I already have it?

As the account only had Lich King on it.

If you have the current client (you've played since Cataclysm released), you shouldn't have to install anything new except maybe patches. The upgrade will just give you access to stuff you weren't able to before.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The world of WoW is definitely not tiny with Kalimdor, EK, Outlands, Northend and soon Pandaria. Unless you only count being a 85 that use the high lvl portals to get to high lvl zones while ignoring that the rest of the world exist... =/

Run out of quests? I always have enough quests while lvling, hell, i even leave zones before i've done all their quests since i lvl so fast, are we playing the same game?

What..what..wat?

What are you talking about? If you or him meant questing as "leveling up" then it's a completely different conversation.

The game isn't the game until you're level 85, it takes 2-3 days to do that now. "Questing" as an 85 will take about a week or so to get loremaster and then you're done with every "quest" except dailies which are pretty much mostly a waste of time except for a few here and there for mounts/flavor items, again super easy to do.

Fjordson

Yeah, I'm stoked for what they're doing with cross-realm zones in MoP. I'm hoping it will add a lot of delicious world PvP.
Agreed.

I've been totally out of the WoW loop since basically right after Cata launched, but the more I read about what they're doing with MoP the more interested I am. Which is weird since I've seen some people really upset about it (mostly on GameFAQs and the official forums). All sounds pretty cool to me.

Pre

I think most of the complaints come from the hardcore raiding crowd. I actually agree with them about a lot of things -- particularly how easy it is to get gear -- but I think there should be a nice middle ground between everything being geared towards hard-as-fuck raids and casual-friendly content.

All in all though I think Mists has the potential to be a great expansion.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Lost the Alyz mount and Shannox didn't drop the Pally legs for my transmog. I've killed Shannox 21 times on Heroic and 18 on normal, never seen them once.

Today was a sad day. >:

lordmrw

Im probably about to move to Stormrage with a few people I know that are there already soon. Its supposedly a ridiculously active PvE server, with pugs literally going 24/7. I made a level 1 ther before work a few mornings ago around 4AM and when I got to SW the trade channel had PUG raid spam and folks recruiting for "AM Raid guilds". I mean holy shit.

I've been playing on Stormrage as my main server is less active until the expansion hits and its amazing. You would never know Dragon Soul has been the last active raid with how much activity is going on at all times. if there's an old raid or dungeon you want to run there are probably multiple PUGs going on at all times. Plus with this many people its ridiculously easy to make gold; almost everything I put on the AH sells by the next day.

Cipherr

I've been playing on Stormrage as my main server is less active until the expansion hits and its amazing. You would never know Dragon Soul has been the last active raid with how much activity is going on at all times. if there's an old raid or dungeon you want to run there are probably multiple PUGs going on at all times. Plus with this many people its ridiculously easy to make gold; almost everything I put on the AH sells by the next day.

Craaaazy. Im probably going to xfer over in the next few days. I need to sit back and get all my addons going again as Im fresh off a brand new install T_T

I hate having to redo everything.

Two Scythes on one character and I haven't gotten the pet on either of the 2 characters I have running the boss every day. Meanwhile, every other group I run with, someone gets the pet. So frustrating.

The little ice elemental? Got that guy on my first try on my main. Cant get that awesome xmog staff yet though. Although I probably shouldnt bother since my hunter wont be able to have it in MoP anyway.

Two Scythes on one character and I haven't gotten the pet on either of the 2 characters I have running the boss every day. Meanwhile, every other group I run with, someone gets the pet. So frustrating.

I was certain I was going to miss out this year, for the third year in a row (or fourth? lose track of time), and amazingly it dropped five days into the festival. At that point people were asking me if I wanted to run the boss and I pulled out "fuck that guy".

Still need the toxic oozling from "Valentine's Day" bosses and both Father Winter pets (the bot and Lumpy). They're the worst pets for me to try and get.

Ultratech

Same here. I've gotten the Scythe twice now, but no pet. But I got all my achievements done for the festival, so that was cool. Was kinda funny blasting our way into Stormwind, taking the tram to Ironforge, killing a bunch of guards, and getting their flame.

What add ons do everyone recommend? Im mainly going to be PvE and just generally questing/levelling profession.

I use mostly:
-Atlasloot: Shows you all loot for dungeons, PVP, Professions, and all sorts of neat stuff.
-Glance: Puts a status bar at the top of your screen showing stuff like Gold, various points (Honor, VP, JP, etc), Wintergrasp/Tol Borad timers, and other info.
-NPCscan: Alerts you to rare mobs. Very handy.
-Deadly Boss Mods: Used for bosses and whatnot. Alerts you to various attacks and whatnot.
-Xperl: Changes user interface windows. Useful if you don't care for the default UI.
-Bartender: Used for setting up bars and stuff the way you want. I like using it since it since I think it helps create less clutter.

I'd recommend the first four items out of sheer usefulness. Anything else is totally up to you.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
What add ons do everyone recommend? Im mainly going to be PvE and just generally questing/levelling profession.

Bartender and Pitbull as soon as you can, start fiddling with them and get used to them now so when the time comes you'll have less to learn at 85.

People still use xperl?

strafer

Collectors Edition Mount and Pet.

yVeto.jpg

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Hmmm, I might have saved myself 40 dollars. Unless that model is only for the CE, I might just pass on it.

Top Bottom