• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I might be making that same post very soon.

My guild fell apart when I was about 2 weeks from finishing Dragonwrath. That was so much fun that I haven't played that character since.

Touch

I really want the Pureblood Firehawk mount. :( But there are no pugs. And if there were the reqs are super duper DPS and know all the fights like a god. To those of us just getting into this raiding stuff makes it very hard.

Rokam

Up to 3k gold at level 45 now, I'm going to miss you Darkmoon Isle :(. Twilight Jasmine stacks are currently going for 200g, ridiculous.

ampere

I really want the Pureblood Firehawk mount. :( But there are no pugs. And if there were the reqs are super duper DPS and know all the fights like a god. To those of us just getting into this raiding stuff makes it very hard.

Since Dragon Soul is the current raid people are doing, try to join a group for that. You def will need to know the fights more to do Heroic Firelands than you will for normal Dragon Soul

Touch

Since Dragon Soul is the current raid people are doing, try to join a group for that. You def will need to know the fights more to do Heroic Firelands than you will for normal Dragon Soul
TI's hard to actually learn the fights when you can't get in a PUG because you don't know the fights. :/ Youtube and Streams can only show you so much. It's mainly why I wish LFM was at least the mechanics of normal.

neoemonk

I will say it's safe insofar as nothing bad has happened to me yet, and they have recently started to give away cool things, like beta keys and discounts and stuff.

I came here to see if and where people were playing MoP beta, because I just got a key from Raptr actually.

Eh, I jumped through their hoops and snagged a beta key. Suppose I can play some WoW now if I want to even though I don't have a regular active account.

It's not tracking the achievements for WoW properly though - I have over 9000 points on one character, and some on others that he couldn't get (class related mostly). So my rank for that should be higher than it lists.

I wouldn't feel comfortable running the desktop client though. I wish it had better hooks into stuff. EVE for example, though it doesn't have achievements, does have out of game data stuff for characters that you could track.

I have a good amount of hours sunk into D3, for example, but it won't know that unless I had been tracking it already, with the API not yet released.

Fuck! Can you retroactively gain experience or whatever by linking up a WoW character? Didn't even know I could put it on Raptr =[
Yes you can. Once you start linking all of your WoW characters you'll gain experience really quick. I did it two months ago to get a free copy of RIFT.
What's the deal with Raptr anyway? Never used it before. Is it safe?
It works pretty much like XFire does except you can get rewards for the games you play. I don't use it much other than to log in once in a while and get rewards.

neoemonk

Eh, I jumped through their hoops and snagged a beta key. Suppose I can play some WoW now if I want to even though I don't have a regular active account.

It's not tracking the achievements for WoW properly though - I have over 9000 points on one character, and some on others that he couldn't get (class related mostly). So my rank for that should be higher than it lists.

I wouldn't feel comfortable running the desktop client though. I wish it had better hooks into stuff. EVE for example, though it doesn't have achievements, does have out of game data stuff for characters that you could track.

I have a good amount of hours sunk into D3, for example, but it won't know that unless I had been tracking it already, with the API not yet released.

I think, and I could be wrong on this, that it only tracks achievements for characters that you tell it about.

FWIW I learned about Raptr from the CAGcast. Not to say that makes it trustworthy, but I would think those guys would be vocal if anything untoward happened. I've heard them take other companies to task before.

I think, and I could be wrong on this, that it only tracks achievements for characters that you tell it about.

FWIW I learned about Raptr from the CAGcast. Not to say that makes it trustworthy, but I would think those guys would be vocal if anything untoward happened. I've heard them take other companies to task before.

I had heard about Raptr before, but never in much detail and so I didn't bother to sign up. Anyway, I told it about half a dozen characters including my main with the 9000+ achievement points though. Still isn't tracking properly. Maybe it'll fix itself later, or would be sorted out if I logged in (which I won't be doing on my primary account anytime soon since it's unsubbed.)

I feel like I have to make the most of this beta now that I'm in though. Haven't gotten into a WoW beta before even though I was in the SC2 and D3 ones. It's sort of a double-edged sword though as with WoW I'd probably rather not spoil the content for myself as it'd make it last not as long on live realms. As long as I don't play too much into quest stuff it shouldn't be bad. Dungeons/raids and more repeatable things are probably fine to try though. Though knowing the content beforehand could provide many economic benefits when it comes to live realms which might help me make more gold.

I do plan on providing people here tips/a guide for moneymaking when this expansion does roll around. At minimum, I'll be back on live realms one month before the expansion goes live, or when the pre-expansion event(s) start - whichever comes first.

Fjordson

I've never had a problem with Raptr. I don't actively "use" it much in any meaningful way, but it's neat to track time played with certain games and whatnot.

Also, I can't stop playing. Oh man...and I think my brother and his friend are re-upping their accounts and rolling new toons on my server. I could be in trouble here.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Also, I can't stop playing. Oh man...and I think my brother and his friend are re-upping their accounts and rolling new toons on my server. I could be in trouble here.

Blizzard :
mr-burns-evil-laugh.jpg

Dresden

i know dat feel man... I was like, okay, I just want a free 80! But after playing nothing but healers and their red-headed stepchildren of dps specs playing a mage is absolutely liberating. So much freedom, so much mobility. Blink alone is GODLIKE. Especially after playing shadow and ele for so long.

strafer

Are they finally making legendaries similar to heirloom scaling? I thought they said they would never do that, in fact they said it again very recently.

Unless its just for beta fun testing.

Yeah it's just for beta testing.

but..

The upward scaling is a convenience measure solely enabled during beta testing, so that all interested players with level 90 beta characters can participate.

In the live game, any items that are over item level 463 will be scaled down to 463. Items that are lower than item level 463 will be unchanged.

The system that will be used for challenge modes upon release actually preserves your hit and expertise bonuses, compensating by deducting extra rating from your other secondary stats (crit, haste, mastery, Spirit) in proportion to how much of each you had to begin with.

This sounds complicated, but it should be relatively seamless and handled behind the scenes, with the intent being to minimize the need to reforge/regem for challenge modes.

To use some decidedly fake numbers, let's say I have an average ilvl of 500 and I have the following stats:

Outdoors (Item Level 500)
3400 Hit Rating (+10%)
3400 Expertise (+10%)
6000 Crit (+10%)
0 Mastery (+0%)
8500 Haste (+20%)

When I enter a challenge dungeon, my ilvl scales down to 463, reducing my stats by roughly 30% (rounding for the sake of simplicity). However, the system keeps my Hit and Expertise values unchanged, overcompensating by reducing the other ratings more heavily.

So my challenge mode stats would be:

In Challenge Mode (Item Level 463)
3400 Hit Rating (+10%)
3400 Expertise (+10%)
3356 Crit (+5.6%)
0 Mastery (+0%)
4754 Haste (+11.2%)

(Now yes, if your normal gearset is designed to hit-cap you against raid bosses, you'll effectively be slightly over the hit cap against dungeon targets, so people looking to min/max completely may still have some tinkering to do, but unless you're aiming to beat the realm-best time, the cost of being a couple percent over the hit cap is going to pale in comparison to the benefit of precise and coordinated play.)

Tl;dr version: If you are hit-capped before you enter a challenge mode, you'll still be hit-capped inside. It's magic.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/229030-challenge-mode-gear-scaling/

i know dat feel man... I was like, okay, I just want a free 80! But after playing nothing but healers and their red-headed stepchildren of dps specs playing a mage is absolutely liberating. So much freedom, so much mobility. Blink alone is GODLIKE. Especially after playing shadow and ele for so long.
Haha yep, I mained a hunter for years and finally made an arcane mage alt...now the mage is by far my favorite class.

Dat slow fall/blink/teleport/evocation.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Haha yep, I mained a hunter for years and finally made an arcane mage alt...now the mage is by far my favorite class.

Dat slow fall/blink/teleport/evocation.

When Darkmoon Faire comes, i always put Slow fall on my mage just before using my mount to jump down rather than following the road. Faster, and i land just in the entrance. :p I'm sure there's going to be good uses for it while lvling in the lvl 85-90 zones.

When Darkmoon Faire comes, i always put Slow fall on my mage just before using my mount to jump down rather than following the road. Faster, and i land just in the entrance. :p I'm sure there's going to be good uses for it while lvling in the lvl 85-90 zones.
Same! I also do that with levitate on my priest.

It's like a mini game trying not to land in the gaming area and getting warped out.

I have a Mage, but with a main without a slow fall ability built in - Noggenfogger :(

I kinda wish that damage reduction abilities like Icebound Fortitude and Shield Wall worked on falling damage though. Pally bubbles work FFS.

So my video card is slowly failing me (GTX 470). Was thinking of switching back to Radeon and getting the 7850 . Was wondering if any of you fine folk have it and what's your feedback. I play other PC games but Warcraft is my main go-to.

Well for US, unless there's a sale (like a Buy 2, Get 1 Free, or B1G1 Free), which occurs fairly often at Target, the cheapest thing will always be getting a sub for 3+ months at a time.

Cards never go on sale individually. EU may be different though, with different retailers.

Meier

I got into the Panda beta thanks to the Raptr rewards.. anyone know if I need to have a paying sub to beta test? That seems like an obvious answer but figured I'd ask..

If I have to pay $15 to try it early, I'll probably just pass.

I got into the Panda beta thanks to the Raptr rewards.. anyone know if I need to have a paying sub to beta test? That seems like an obvious answer but figured I'd ask..

If I have to pay $15 to try it early, I'll probably just pass.
Attach the key to your account and see what happens. I remember being able to log into the Cataclysm beta when my account was unsubbed since I got my key from EuroGamer.

Meier

Attach the key to your account and see what happens. I remember being able to log into the Cataclysm beta when my account was unsubbed since I got my key from EuroGamer.

Cool, I'll give it a shot. I was able to register the key last night and copy my main to the test server but didn't get a chance to try and download it yet so I was curious if anyone knew one way or the other.

I'm a lvl 505 tailor...just finding out about Dreamcloth. Is it really worth it to craft some? I saw the recipes...what exactly should I do with it? Arcane mage btw.

I'm a lvl 505 tailor...just finding out about Dreamcloth. Is it really worth it to craft some? I saw the recipes...what exactly should I do with it? Arcane mage btw.

Well it would have been worth more at almost any other time due to the crafted gear and the restrictions on Dreamcloth are higher I think than any other (typical) crafted material used for crafted gear.

Bags are still a worthwhile investment though, even if they're just for yourself and not to sell. Everyone can use bigger bags.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I think so, you can craft for example Illusionary Bag with Dreamcloth. That requires a skill of 525, and you also need to buy the tailoring pattern for one Dreamcloth. The bag costs eight Dreamcloths to make, that's easy done if you create Dream of Destruction. Just need 8 x Bolt of Embersilk Cloth and 4 x Chaos Orb (buy from auction house or run some heroic dungeons). Dream of Destruction has no cooldown.

And as CarbonatedFalcon wrote, everyone can use bigger bags, so there's some money to be made here.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Mounts are one of my favorite things in WoW. I've had pretty bad luck with raid mounts, though.

Lost Invincible, DW mount, Firehawk twice and the Fireland's Ravenlord.

I would've gave my left nut to have won that Invincible roll.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Not knowing when patch 5.0.1 will be deployed on the PTR servers is a bit irritating. Blizzard has said "Soon" like always, but that can mean anything.

Hopefully we will be able to test the new talent system etc. the coming Tuesday or Thursday (I don't know what day the PTR servers are updated). My game time has expired, so I'm waiting for this testing period to begin. I can't afford game time right now.

If anyone happens to speak to a GM during the weekend, ask about this, would be most appreciated.

Ultratech

Mounts are one of my favorite things in WoW. I've had pretty bad luck with raid mounts, though.

Lost Invincible, DW mount, Firehawk twice and the Fireland's Ravenlord.

I would've gave my left nut to have won that Invincible roll.

Damn, Invincible would've been nice.

Been trying to run Malygos for his mounts (+ Black Ice) and need to run some more TK for Ashes of A'lar.
I've only seen one person on my server with that spiffy phoenix mount.

Speaking of mounts though, guess what I ran into at the Faire?

One of the Black AQ mounts, apparently held by a Human Mage.
I had a screenshot, but it apparently was corrupted/damaged since my laptop shut down immediately after. :(

Rambaldi

I got my "Light of Dawn" title last night with a full 25 man run. It was a lot of fun. Getting the drakes next week, I think.

I like doing old content but I am still pretty bored with the game right now. I don't want to level another alt through. Especially when it ends with dungeons that I've done 4853453 times already. :( Come on, Mists. Please hurry. :(

scoobs

I got my "Light of Dawn" title last night with a full 25 man run. It was a lot of fun. Getting the drakes next week, I think.

I like doing old content but I am still pretty bored with the game right now. I don't want to level another alt through. Especially when it ends with dungeons that I've done 4853453 times already. :( Come on, Mists. Please hurry. :(

roll a blood dk, kill old bosses. Its challenging and super fun

Manus

Downed heroic Ultraxion last night. Surprisingly the fight was rather easy, pretty much the same as normal.

The best things for me would be some of the TCG stuff that's neat, and mainly some of the rare mounts. Ashes, Rag's Firehawk (I missed Firelands), and Onyxia (which was always absurdly rare.)

If Invincible ever got put up there I would pay a shitton for it, especially since it would work on all your characters. That's probably one of my most coveted mounts. Ashes is in that tier too. Mimiron's Head would be fun, but I was never a huge fan besides how exotic it is compared to the typical fare.

Top Bottom