• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Lol no. Archaeology was completely gimped from what Path of the Titans was supposed to be, and boring as shit.

Only reason people bothered was that the rewards were pretty good, even if the rate you got the best stuff was absolute crap. The really crap thing about it was that for it to even be viable doing at all, you had to have epic flying.

Besides the absurd travel times involved, as implemented, surveying is tedious as fuck and boring. Only way I survived doing it was by having plenty of podcasts/music to listen to. I don't think it's completely unredeemable if the profession was completely revamped, but as it stands, it still sucks.

---

Transmog, I'll admit, is a pretty good feature that I haven't really seen in other games that would benefit from it. Though it's a pure tech feature, not content, besides just being appreciated/nice rather than absolutely necessary.

---

Raid Finder is alright, though again, a tech feature, not a content one. I think people liked it more than they would have had Blizzard not forcibly changed the raiding metagame at the start of Cataclysm by essentially killing off the large majority of 25 man raids/guilds. While "nice" any other time, it really was a band-aid on the gaping wound left by destroying 25-mans - both guilds and pugs.

Compared to what BC and Wrath added (in addition to the content just being better), Cataclysm was pretty much indisputably an abject failure.

Rokam

Agreed, although Archaeology is getting an overhaul in MoP so we'll see if it's any better. The only reason I like Cataclysm at all is because of the 1-60 changes. And that's only because I'm constantly leveling new characters.

Enosh

Transmog, I'll admit, is a pretty good feature that I haven't really seen in other games that would benefit from it. Though it's a pure tech feature, not content, besides just being appreciated/nice rather than absolutely necessary.
well in a sense you could argue it is a content feature since it made a lot more people want to do the old raids and dungeons thus opening up content that they otherwise wouldn't have bothered with ^^

well in a sense you could argue it is a content feature since it made a lot more people want to do the old raids and dungeons thus opening up content that they otherwise wouldn't have bothered with ^^

I thought that might come up, but it's a secondary effect, not a primary one. I always like(d) doing old stuff for shits and giggles anyway. In addition to sometimes being profitable.

The other thing about Archaeology I think, is that it sucked because it was implemented all at once. If you just had the BC or Wrath zones to cover, it wouldn't be so bad with them being more compact. The 1-300 and Cata level stuff being in the gigantic old world made it bad. So it should be improved at least slightly in MoP for that fact alone, assuming you have it at 525 already.

I may have to test it some on the Beta (which I'll get around to messing with whenever I switch back to OS X - been playing a bunch of stuff on Windows lately, and I don't have the room to install a WoW client on this partition right now). But then again, I may pass, since it's still fucking Archaeology.

Touch

Black Market items that have popped up so far.

The bidding prices will be crazy at first I'm sure as people have been stockpiling gold. :\
This is actually pretty cool for the folks that would never be able to get some of these mounts. But I'm afraid that the more wealthier realms will run the prices to close to a million gold on some items like for example Illidan. I would rather pay a guild 100k than try to win an auction for half a million.

Black Market items that have popped up so far.

The bidding prices will be crazy at first I'm sure as people have been stockpiling gold. :\

Don't know why, but I have ALWAYS wanted the Onyxia mount, always. It's so dang classy.
Lol no. Archaeology was completely gimped from what Path of the Titans was supposed to be, and boring as shit.

Only reason people bothered was that the rewards were pretty good, even if the rate you got the best stuff was absolute crap. The really crap thing about it was that for it to even be viable doing at all, you had to have epic flying.

Besides the absurd travel times involved, as implemented, surveying is tedious as fuck and boring. Only way I survived doing it was by having plenty of podcasts/music to listen to. I don't think it's completely unredeemable if the profession was completely revamped, but as it stands, it still sucks.

---

---

Raid Finder is alright, though again, a tech feature, not a content one. I think people liked it more than they would have had Blizzard not forcibly changed the raiding metagame at the start of Cataclysm by essentially killing off the large majority of 25 man raids/guilds. While "nice" any other time, it really was a band-aid on the gaping wound left by destroying 25-mans - both guilds and pugs.

Compared to what BC and Wrath added (in addition to the content just being better), Cataclysm was pretty much indisputably an abject failure.
Dude, I totally agree. Spot on for me.

TomServo

So the $10 sale on Cata has me interested.

I raided pretty hardcore through HToC (WotLK) before I burned out. I have no interest in raiding again, but it would it be worth it to reactivate for a month and play one of my 80's through to 85?

Was there solid leveling content? How were the dungeons?

So the $10 sale on Cata has me interested.

I raided pretty hardcore through HToC (WotLK) before I burned out. I have no interest in raiding again, but it would it be worth it to reactivate for a month and play one of my 80's through to 85?

Was there solid leveling content? How were the dungeons?

Scroll of Resurrection will get you Cata for free.

The $10 summer deal got me excited to try out CATA but my account was banned for gold farming back in January I guess?? WTF

I am on the phone with blizzard right now trying to get my account back.

anyways is the $10 dollar deal on battlenet the best way to get cata??

thanks everyone!

edit: just so you guys know I am not planning on playing any old characters its been to long but I would like to start over.

scoobs

Ive been doing argent tourny dailies and the champions seals ive been getting are not showing up in my currency tab. Is this cuz im a worgen or something?

Mairu

The $10 summer deal got me excited to try out CATA but my account was banned for gold farming back in January I guess?? WTF

I am on the phone with blizzard right now trying to get my account back.

anyways is the $10 dollar deal on battlenet the best way to get cata??

thanks everyone!

edit: just so you guys know I am not planning on playing any old characters its been to long but I would like to start over.

The best deal for someone who previously played the game is to get a Scroll of Resurrection from someone who currently plays, assuming you're eligible. You get Cataclysm for free and can even boost a character to level 80 if you wish. The ban from your account getting hacked in January might cause issues with eligibility though, I would bring this up when you talk to Blizzard CS.

The best deal for someone who previously played the game is to get a Scroll of Resurrection from someone who currently plays, assuming you're eligible. You get Cataclysm for free and can even boost a character to level 80 if you wish. The ban from your account getting hacked in January might cause issues with eligibility though, I would bring this up when you talk to Blizzard CS.

thanks I have a few friends that should be able to send me one.

quick update:

Blizzard CS was fucking amazing, they restored my account and even merged it with my diablo III account.

she was super nice and helpfull.

I have the download going right now anyway, but does anyone know if there's a way to get the MoP beta installer to install over other WoW files so that it doesn't have to download as much?

I still have current (or at least mostly current) Cataclysm files that I could copy and use as a base if this is somehow possible.

Otherwise it has 21+ GBs to go...

By the way...

Do we want to start planning a server to congregate our members around for MoP? Yeah, we had GAF guild on Area 52 and that was okay, but it came at a bad time in the game lifecycle and being filled with mostly alts doesn't do much. Even if we don't have a GAF guild, it would be nice if most of us were on the same server. Probably 2 different ones though for Horde and Alliance.

For Horde at least, the highest concentration of unique GAF players seems to be on Mal'Ganis. I'm probably moving there with at least 2, though possibly 3 characters (at least initially) for various reasons either shortly before, or shortly after the expansion launch.

XenodudeX

I've watching some MoP beta videos, and I'm starting to feel that tug again. I'll most likely resub for a month when the expansion hits, or if I get my hands on a beta key from some of those beta giveaways floating around. I can't find anything going on right now, but hopefully there will be more in the future.

Tamanon

Banned
By the way...

Do we want to start planning a server to congregate our members around for MoP? Yeah, we had GAF guild on Area 52 and that was okay, but it came at a bad time in the game lifecycle and being filled with mostly alts doesn't do much. Even if we don't have a GAF guild, it would be nice if most of us were on the same server. Probably 2 different ones though for Horde and Alliance.

For Horde at least, the highest concentration of unique GAF players seems to be on Mal'Ganis. I'm probably moving there with at least 2, though possibly 3 characters (at least initially) for various reasons either shortly before, or shortly after the expansion launch.

I'd be down for starting another monk fresh on a new server.

Easy to make money on the new server by making him do Inscription.

wow guys I am back and my priest went from level 42 to 80 (rez scroll) its been probably 12 months since I played wow.

can anyone point me in the direction of a guide to help me with my 80 shadow priest.

I am completely lost.

By the way...

I am starting again anyways and would love to play with you guys wherever you land.

scoobs

got my blue dragonhawk, good god that took forever. Ugly mount for being such an incredibly tedious achievement!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
got my blue dragonhawk, good god that took forever. Ugly mount for being such an incredibly tedious achievement!

Grats!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
gracias! lol... idk what to do with my free time in this game now. I refuse to collect companions

You're still missing like 60 mounts =V

wow guys I am back and my priest went from level 42 to 80 (rez scroll) its been probably 12 months since I played wow.

can anyone point me in the direction of a guide to help me with my 80 shadow priest.

I am completely lost.

I am starting again anyways and would love to play with you guys wherever you land.
For questing, all you really need to do is spam Mind Spike and Mind Blast. Granted, you need an extra level to get Mind Spike, but 80---> 81 is really fast and you will probably end up just spamming Mind Blast ---> Mind Flay otherwise. The actual rotation takes way too long to bother with on quest mobs.

For questing, all you really need to do is spam Mind Spike and Mind Blast. Granted, you need an extra level to get Mind Spike, but 80---> 81 is really fast and you will probably end up just spamming Mind Blast ---> Mind Flay otherwise. The actual rotation takes way too long to bother with on quest mobs.

Thanks for the tips!

scoobs

Ya i know, but when there's no carrot to chase its harder to convince myself that its worth the time

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
My Razer Naga's mouse wheel is starting to die out and was hoping to get it replaced. I'm having a hard time finding out how long the warranty on it lasts and other info that seems like it would be easy to find.

Have you guys gotten one replaced? Was the process easy? Been Googling all kinds of things about it and I'm seeing a lot of people complaining about it taking weeks.

idlewild_

Me and a few friends are getting WoW again, i'm thinking of making a Rogue does anyone know the best leveling spec?

You should use the spec that you enjoy most, however Combat is the most effective for leveling. You can spec yourself to be a bit tankier, get a cleave just for specializing, have no positional requirements on your abilities + get a "free" 6% hit in the first tier of the tree, your attacks have no weapon type requirement (though you should be using slow/fast mh/oh combo,) and your finishing moves lowers the cd of sprint (if the mob lives long enough for you to do one.)

The issue that you will have with Assassination is that you will be required to have 2 daggers, cannot use your execute move, cannot cleave, the mobs will probably die too fast for deadly poison to really stack up and so your finisher will not hit super hard, rupture is not very effective vs mobs that die that fast, etc.; basically you will do less damage, won't be able to use all your abilities and will probably take a little more damage and be a little less mobile. There is no real point in playing Sub while leveling, you will not get a taste of what real sub gameplay is like unless you are in a party AND have most/all of the 31 points filled.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
My PTR client (patch 4.3.4, build 15595) currently reads:

World of Warcraft is up to date.
Downloading data for the next update.
Does this mean that data for patch 5.0.1 is available, or is this something completely different? I can't see any files that indicate any new data for 5.0.1 has been added. Anyone else wanna check?

Question about RAF granting levels:

My recruited friend is lvl 81 Alliance. If we both make Horde alts and meet up before our RAF link ends, can she still grant me a bunch of levels or does that only work with the same toon that earned those levels?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Ya i know, but when there's no carrot to chase its harder to convince myself that its worth the time

Try to get 150 companions, its almost as hard to get as the 100 mounts if you dont have many pets from collectors, pet store or whatever that card game is.

I'm currently at 132 i think, and the only companions left to get are either very rare, like 0.1% chance to drop, or over 5000 gold in the AH.

Not sure i wanna waste that much gold for one companion, and killing low lvl mobs for hours is not my idea of fun, so i'll probably wait and see for the expansion for new easy ones to get.

Huh. So Raptr apparently went through data today and updated WoW on that. It's more accurate now, but it still doesn't have everything correct. Missing some achievements that I know I have still. Interface still kinda sucks. Says there are 100-some achievements not unlocked by the community yet, but it won't allow you to see what those are (at least that I can tell.) Other various problems. When it updated this morning, it spammed me like 6 emails.

Anyway, MoP Beta finished downloading overnight, so I'm, gonna give that a whirl today - I'll report back with anything interesting.

theta11

My recruited friend is lvl 81 Alliance. If we both make Horde alts and meet up before our RAF link ends, can she still grant me a bunch of levels or does that only work with the same toon that earned those levels?

For her to grant you levels she would need to level a Horde character.

Sarcasm

If it works like previous RAF that won't work. For like every level gained you get a lvl to give.

Well, guess I won't be doing much beta testing, at least for the moment. It either hangs or crashes as soon as it hits 100% loading into the world with pretty much any character. Best luck I had was getting a level 1 Undead through, but that also crashed pretty quickly after being up for only a minute or two.

Can't really do anything until it's fixed. Must've tried over a dozen times.

At least the login screen and music are nice.

Today I had log-in message on Battle.net because I registered the D3 CE for four free months of Warcraft (and I had the annual pass). I thought it auto-applied when I registered but I guess not. All you have to do is click to redeem but it's worth noting that it was a manual deal.

Pre

Do we have any idea when the pre-expansion patch is going to hit? I'm hoping since the Brewfest stuff has already been updated for level 90 that I'll at least be on the PTR before long. I'm getting anxious for some new content.

I hope for your sake that MoP is out by then, or else it will pretty much have been a waste.
Not necessarily. Still lots of things to occupy time. I've decided (foolishly) to farm for the Tiny Emerald and Azure whelplings. We'll see how that goes. Still farming the Raven Lord mount with no luck and started doing Heroic Magister's Terrace again for the Swift White Hawkstrider mount. I'd like to eventually get up to 150 companions. Currently I have 126. Someone was selling Peddlefoot for 1500g today on the AH and I snatched that up pretty fast. Finally got Pebbles, too lol.

Fjordson

I hope for your sake that MoP is out by then, or else it will pretty much have been a waste.
I was thinking about this as I was deciding on how much time to buy :lol just said fuck it and went with 6 months. I'm banking on MoP coming out in October-November. In the mean time I'll just be getting my priest leveled up and ready. I'm really, really enjoying it at the moment.

Top Bottom