• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Westlo

Came back with a scroll like 16 days ago, subbed for 3 months, haven't enjoyed WoW as much since TBC days. Just dinged 85 2 days ago, currently working my way up to Item level 372 so I can LFR... 6 points to go and I haven't done a single heroic yet. Playing the AH is fun and I'm liking transmog. MOP looks really nice too and I'm liking some changes that should make world pvp more of a thing.. the grappling vine to dismount people as well as forcing people out in the world because of motes/spirits of harmony. No flying until 90 as well as the BMAH being a hotspot.

I was thinking about this as I was deciding on how much time to buy :lol just said fuck it and went with 6 months. I'm banking on MoP coming out in October-November. In the mean time I'll just be getting my priest leveled up and ready. I'm really, really enjoying it at the moment.
Once Blizzard made a few more classes available for different races, I started a gnome priest. I was really enjoying the dungeon finder and healing, but then I stopped at 55. Not sure what happened, but I fizzled out. Probably should do some more leveling.

Came back with a scroll like 16 days ago, subbed for 3 months, haven't enjoyed WoW as much since TBC days. Just dinged 85 2 days ago, currently working my way up to Item level 372 so I can LFR... 6 points to go and I haven't done a single heroic yet. Playing the AH is fun and I'm liking transmog. MOP looks really nice too and I'm liking some changes that should make world pvp more of a thing.. the grappling vine to dismount people as well as forcing people out in the world because of motes/spirits of harmony. No flying until 90 as well as the BMAH being a hotspot.
I think MoP is going to be pretty good. Definitely more excited about it than I was for Cata. Although, I hope Blizzard does a better job with raid content this time around and I'm still sad that horde and alliance won't be able to hang out with each other in a big hub city :(

I've been doing LFR and finally started winning some loot. Got two pieces of tier, a dagger (Rathrak, the Poisonous Mind), and some cloth hands.

Not necessarily. Still lots of things to occupy time. I've decided (foolishly) to farm for the Tiny Emerald and Azure whelplings. We'll see how that goes. Still farming the Raven Lord mount with no luck and started doing Heroic Magister's Terrace again for the Swift White Hawkstrider mount. I'd like to eventually get up to 150 companions. Currently I have 126. Someone was selling Peddlefoot for 1500g today on the AH and I snatched that up pretty fast. Finally got Pebbles, too lol.

Not saying there aren't things to do, especially if you haven't played as much/long and/or go into obsessive collector mode.

Personally though, I kinda ran out of stuff, at least for the moment. I'm not a huge mount collector, though I have 50+ and quite a few rare ones at that. I'm not really a pet collector at all, though I could see that changing somewhat with Pet Battles if they prove to be entertaining/addicting.

I am an achievement whore, but I already accomplished some major milestones during Cataclysm. Exalted, The Seeker, Over 9000 - to name a few. The things I have left are much more grindy or require more coordinated efforts, and while they could occupy me awhile, I'd rather have them as options to go back to during downtime, rather than as primary content, when I have other reasons to be playing.

Loremaster is there as another milestone, but with what I have left, just doing that would only take a week or two tops.

Speaking of long, grindy things to do - I really wish they introduced something new to replace the epic scope of the Scepter of the Shifting Sands quest(s). I only finished part of it, though I still have the now near priceless Chimaerok Chops recipe in my bank. Never decided whether to learn it or save the recipe to sell for ludicrous amounts of gold.

Did help a friend/guildmate finish the Scepter questline during Wrath and it was quite an adventure. That guy is pretty insane though as he has/had nearly every pet in the game (Tyrael, Original CE, etc.) and I think every TCG item, including the Spectral Tiger. He was always a bit jealous of my Zulian Tiger though as he never acquired one of those.

Not saying there aren't things to do, especially if you haven't played as much/long and/or go into obsessive collector mode.

Personally though, I kinda ran out of stuff, at least for the moment. I'm not a huge mount collector, though I have 50+ and quite a few rare ones at that. I'm not really a pet collector at all, though I could see that changing somewhat with Pet Battles if they prove to be entertaining/addicting.

I am an achievement whore, but I already accomplished some major milestones during Cataclysm. Exalted, The Seeker, Over 9000 - to name a few. The things I have left are much more grindy or require more coordinated efforts, and while they could occupy me awhile, I'd rather have them as options to go back to during downtime, rather than as primary content, when I have other reasons to be playing.

Loremaster is there as another milestone, but with what I have left, just doing that would only take a week or two tops.

Speaking of long, grindy things to do - I really wish they introduced something new to replace the epic scope of the Scepter of the Shifting Sands quest(s). I only finished part of it, though I still have the now near priceless Chimaerok Chops recipe in my bank. Never decided whether to learn it or save the recipe to sell for ludicrous amounts of gold.

Did help a friend/guildmate finish the Scepter questline during Wrath and it was quite an adventure. That guy is pretty insane though as he has/had nearly every pet in the game (Tyrael, Original CE, etc.) and I think every TCG item, including the Spectral Tiger. He was always a bit jealous of my Zulian Tiger though as he never acquired one of those.
I want them to bring old ZG back. I started trying to farm for the raptor and tiger mounts way too late and never got them. I can't solo the new content and I'm not willing to run stuff now just to have to roll against other people if the mount did drop.

Inversive

You should use the spec that you enjoy most, however Combat is the most effective for leveling. You can spec yourself to be a bit tankier, get a cleave just for specializing, have no positional requirements on your abilities + get a "free" 6% hit in the first tier of the tree, your attacks have no weapon type requirement (though you should be using slow/fast mh/oh combo,) and your finishing moves lowers the cd of sprint (if the mob lives long enough for you to do one.)

The issue that you will have with Assassination is that you will be required to have 2 daggers, cannot use your execute move, cannot cleave, the mobs will probably die too fast for deadly poison to really stack up and so your finisher will not hit super hard, rupture is not very effective vs mobs that die that fast, etc.; basically you will do less damage, won't be able to use all your abilities and will probably take a little more damage and be a little less mobile. There is no real point in playing Sub while leveling, you will not get a taste of what real sub gameplay is like unless you are in a party AND have most/all of the 31 points filled.

I went with Sub in the end haha, shadowstep+ambush one shots any normal mob. We're mostly doing dungeons though since my two friends are tank+healer, wait times are non existant and we are getting i think triple exp :p
Do you think i should go Ass for dungeon leveling?

idlewild_

Do you think i should go Ass for dungeon leveling?

I tried all 3 while leveling, and combat was by far the fastest, easiest, and the most boring (though, if you are one-shotting everything with a single ambush, you're probably too low level for it to matter what spec you are.) Combat does more damage in dungeons since you can cleave everything down, if you're only interested in efficiency I would go with that. You're honestly not going to be able to learn the playstyle of any of the specs until 80+ when the dungeon bosses take longer than 20 seconds to die, (barely).

Anyone here play on Korgath? I've been thinking about snagging a scroll of resurrection from a friend, but I don't know how much of a good idea that is... :p

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Do we have any idea when the pre-expansion patch is going to hit? I'm hoping since the Brewfest stuff has already been updated for level 90 that I'll at least be on the PTR before long. I'm getting anxious for some new content.
Some people have suggested that patch 5.0.1 will be deployed on the PTR servers this week, as early as tomorrow. And it's true that there has been a great amount of data to download lately. Poster dabrybry on the MMO-Champion forums reported today that his/her PTR client issued a 6GB download. I had something similar some day ago, but I don't think it was as big as 6GB. The next patch should arrive soon though, I wish Blizzard could give a specific date. For a patch on public test realms, you'd think they wouldn't be as tight lipped.

If I were able to post on the official forums, I'd ask more there. But my game time has expired, so I'm limited to the support forums, and I assume questions about this aren't appropriate there. I'm eager to do something new in the game, even if it's "only" playing around with the new talent system, and testing glitches of course.

Westlo

Any aussies lurking this thread thinking of giving the game another shot, if you want a transfer to Frostmourne hit me up for a scroll.

I doubt it, since MoP is apparently mostly about Horde vs Alliance. This isn't Northrend "Let's all work together to defeat the Lich King!" anymore.

Shit, good point.

So I'm on Stormscale-US right now. That realm census site is blocked at my work but I'm pretty sure it's very low pop, especially on the Alliance side. However, I'm hesitant to realm transfer because I'm afraid of queue times when MoP hits. Can you guys shed any light on my predicament? Maybe look up the pop on that server and let me know if it is in fact super low and whether it's worth the $25 to transfer?

My stuff usually eventually sells on the AH but the prices are kind of shit. I never see any "LFG" stuff on trade chat either.

So the guild mentoring program is cute. Making official what some people did anyway. The limited number of realms part is interesting though. I don't know if that means it's intended to be a beta, and that they'll expand later, or if they're limiting it to try and herd new players into some specific realms.

After a quick check of the realms - some seem kinda dead, others seem okay. But there definitely aren't any huge high pop servers there. It's not like they're all perfectly balanced Horde/Alliance either.

The duration of the program is intriguing as well, given that you have to commit for 3 months.

Does that guarantee an expansion release within that time? It would be kind of odd to start this and have it continue and end during a complete doldrum period.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/6646217

Shit, good point.

So I'm on Stormscale-US right now. That realm census site is blocked at my work but I'm pretty sure it's very low pop, especially on the Alliance side. However, I'm hesitant to realm transfer because I'm afraid of queue times when MoP hits. Can you guys shed any light on my predicament? Maybe look up the pop on that server and let me know if it is in fact super low and whether it's worth the $25 to transfer?

My stuff usually eventually sells on the AH but the prices are kind of shit. I never see any "LFG" stuff on trade chat either.

Well the census site doesn't have enough data, which isn't a good sign. On WoWProgress it lists Stormscale as being 1.0/0.6 favoring Horde to Alliance. Which isn't completely awful, but certainly not good if you're on the low pop side on a low pop realm. It lists the population as 13,478 for level 85 characters that have either killed something in T13, or are in a guild that has. So probably a significantly lower real population accounting for alts.

You'd be better off on one of the other "Storm" servers, like Stormrage or Stormreaver (though not Altar of Storms - situation is worse there.)

So you're not on the absolute worst server that you could be - there's a tier below that's truly dead. However it is low/middling compared to the high pop servers.

Thanks CF...I might just make a Horde alt and see what the pop is like on the other side :)

side note: I wish the mobile Armory app included showing currency on your characters.

mr.rager

Anyone have a scroll of resurrection? I've been getting the itch lately haha. Haven't played for a good year and a half and I want to see how the game is now.

Anyone have a scroll of resurrection? I've been getting the itch lately haha. Haven't played for a good year and a half and I want to see how the game is now.
I think you can do multiple scrolls. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I can send you one, but if there someone else who hasn't had the chance I'll let them. PM me your email address.

Cipherr

Does anyone know if its still possible to dial up draw distance way out like you could previously? Id kill to play the game like this:

F1NWg.jpg

Well I killed about 700 noxious whelps in Feralas and got the Tiny Emerald Whelpling today. Then I killed over 1000 ebon whelps to try and get the Dark Whelpling to drop, and nada. Will go back tomorrow and see if I have a little more luck. Then I've decided that I'm just going to buy the Azure and Crimson Whelplings. Not even going to waste my time farming zone drops. Yuck.
Does anyone know if its still possible to dial up draw distance way out like you could previously? Id kill to play the game like this:
I wish I could help, but I have no idea.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I used to use a custom macro for maximum settings and such and the draw distance never looked even close to that. That's gotta be either some kind of developer console or a composite.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
You can use the console variable farclip to manually configure draw distance. 1250 is as far as I know the maximum you can input in-game, via writing /console farclip setting in a chat window, but I think it's possible to override this value by adding the following line to Config.wtf:

SET farclip setting
Depending on your hardware and other graphical settings within the game, the client may crash if you use a value beyond the maximum.

A few patches ago on the PTR servers, it was possible to input a negative value for draw distance. This made it appear as if your character was more or less blind, but if you moved the camera around you could see perhaps a meter ahead of you. It was really interesting to play around with, shame they removed that function.

Enosh

well apparently T14 for DKs was changed into a dress version, ala some pala tiers and the DK starting gear
not sure if I like it or not, would have to see it without the helmet...

Sethos

Banned
Dammit I hate when you return after a break, want to deck out a new character in 'Looms but you've been kicked from any old guilds to get the helmet. Then you have to quest for all that rep up to honored and you can't even get it in a single week -.- Fuck caps.

Dammit I hate when you return after a break, want to deck out a new character in 'Looms but you've been kicked from any old guilds to get the helmet. Then you have to quest for all that rep up to honored and you can't even get it in a single week -.- Fuck caps.

That's actually my biggest problem with the game in the entire 5 years I've been playing it. Guild rep is so fucking ridiculous. I've been in the same guild since Cata and not even to friendly yet. I just want the back and head piece to complete my heirloom set. So retarded.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
That's actually my biggest problem with the game in the entire 5 years I've been playing it. Guild rep is so fucking ridiculous. I've been in the same guild since Cata and not even to friendly yet. I just want the back and head piece to complete my heirloom set. So retarded.

How?

Alchemy

Do some dailies? I recently spent a night going from half way to Honored to Honored so I could get the heirlooms, all I did was the Firelands/Batol dailies and finished questing in Twilight Highlands with the +50% rep tabard. I think doing BGs is the fastest way to get rep though.

AND I FINALLY GOT MY DRAGONSTALKER HELM. Took 31 Nef kills but I did it, I'm a sexy purple dragon orc now. Took less time to make myself a Thunderfury.

EDIT: Whoops, I meant ARENAS with a guildie are the fastest way.

Took the character from 80 to 85 and got bored with the class, so I didn't gear him or run Heroics.

Fact is, with all the questing from 80-85, you should level up at least once in guild rep but I didn't and it's bullshit :p

Thanks Alchemy, I'll try dailies and BGs with my other toon.

idlewild_

Took the character from 80 to 85 and got bored with the class, so I didn't gear him or run Heroics.

Fact is, with all the questing from 80-85, you should level up at least once in guild rep but I didn't and it's bullshit :p

Thanks Alchemy, I'll try dailies and BGs with my other toon.

Leveling really does give you a pittance, they really made guild raids/dungeons/bgs the only really "efficient" way of getting guild rep.

Ultratech

Do some dailies? I recently spent a night going from half way to Honored to Honored so I could get the heirlooms, all I did was the Firelands/Batol dailies and finished questing in Twilight Highlands with the +50% rep tabard. I think doing BGs is the fastest way to get rep though.

AND I FINALLY GOT MY DRAGONSTALKER HELM. Took 31 Nef kills but I did it, I'm a sexy purple dragon orc now. Took less time to make myself a Thunderfury.

EDIT: Whoops, I meant ARENAS with a guildie are the fastest way.

Grats on the Dragonstalker Helm. I'm still looking to finish my Ebon-type set, since I crafted it WAY back in BC...I have nearly all the relevant parts except the pants which drop off Kazzak, who's never around it seems. Too bad none of the Dragonstalker helmets really go with the set...

As for Guild rep, let's see...I started in April I guess? I hit Exalted sometime before I ended my Fireland dailies. (Which would've been the start/middle of June?)
Dailies do really give quite a bit of rep. More so with the tabards. Still sucks on being capped for how much rep you can get in a week though. :(

Even in the past you could never push it quite that far with simple commands, however, the WoW Machinima Tool used to be able to force view distance and remove fog quite a bit. I haven't been subbed to WoW in a long time, so I'm not sure if this version is updated/still has these features, but you can find it here http://pxr.dk/wmt/ It uses memory hacks to do what it does, buuuuut, I mean, I never got banned, and not like the people that make crazy videos with it do either, so it's probably fairly safe.

Westlo

How are you not friendly? My 82 Mage joined a random level 25 guild and I got 1000 into friendly by the time I hit 85.

Fjordson

I fucking hate that. Maybe I'm a dirty casual for thinking this, but why the shit are heirlooms so hard to get? I was thinking of leveling up a shammy, but it'd be a bitch to try and get a full mail set now, even though I have two decently geared level 85's on my account.

Tamanon

Banned
I fucking hate that. Maybe I'm a dirty casual for thinking this, but why the shit are heirlooms so hard to get? I was thinking of leveling up a shammy, but it'd be a bitch to try and get a full mail set now, even though I have two decently geared level 85's on my account.

I've been using the Darkmoon Faire on my alts to beef up my heirloom supplies.

I've now got a caster set, agi leather set with mace +dagger(useful for hunters and shammies also), and a tank plate set with an extra reaver. I think I'm set for now.

Sethos

Banned

Yeah exactly. It has become such a chore to get heirlooms and it'll really prevent you from starting an alt / starting certain classes if you don't have the set. I understand there should be some work involved to get it, else you might as well just give every alt the stat buff + 45% experience when levelling ( or whatever it is when all combined ), but buying every single piece individually and with some locked out behind guild rep where you can get kicked and lose it all? Fuck that.

Wish you could buy an heirloom chest you can send around, it'll deck out the character in all the appropriate heirlooms. Then you can open that chest and pick out other sets for healing etc. obviously has to cost a bit.

Would make me play a lot more alts.

Currently in the process of starting an alt, figuring out name etc. and it appears to become a Hunter as I like to play them and I got the full set except the helmet. However, I really want a druid but have fuck all for the druid set.

I think I already mentioned this back in April, but I'm not a fan of the new Recruit a Friend mount - the facial helmet, in particuler. I guess all the obsidian mounts will have it. I just don't understand why clunky, unattractive armor gets put on so many mounts. I especially dislike armor that covers faces. I love the winterspring frostaber and swift zulian panther for exactly the opposite reason: they have no obnoxious armor.
images
images

Seriously, how much better is this?
Mottled_Red_Raptor.jpg

over this?
Swift_Orange_Raptor.jpg

Sethos

Banned
Problem with the Obsidian Nightwing isn't the armour, it's the turkey neck :|

I love how every special mount accessible outside of raiding looks like shit.

The new RAF mount still looks better than the rocket (not into the zany engineering stuff so much) and the Zebra ever did to me.

Not likely that I'll ever get it anyway.

The reason they do armor is because they've trained players that Armor > No Armor, starting as early as the Gladiator Netherwings in BC. Armor means more prestige nearly every time.

The new RAF mount still looks better than the rocket (not into the zany engineering stuff so much) and the Zebra ever did to me.

Not likely that I'll ever get it anyway.

The reason they do armor is because they've trained players that Armor > No Armor, starting as early as the Gladiator Netherwings in BC. Armor means more prestige nearly every time.
The armor>no armor is seen in vanilla class mounts.

Top Bottom