• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

markot

Banned
OMG IM SUPER HYPED FOR THE EXPANSIONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Rohnin no longer in charge of the Kirin Tor ^____________^

I hope a raptor ate him. And he was like 'et tu, raptorus?'

Oh, and I guess with the pet battles it says it merges all the pets you have anywhere to be account-wide.

That's kinda neat since I had Baby Blizzard Bears from the 4th Anniversary on my very first server with no one else on it but a couple characters no higher than 40. I would have needed to transfer a character from that server with the bears (I'm pretty sure they were unlimited use) to another to ever really make use of them. Now I don't have to worry about that.

If the 4th Anniversary FoS is account-wide now as well (not sure), I don't ever have to worry about that server ever again.

Fjordson

Nice. I wonder if Grunty will be any good with his marine armor and rifle :lol

Just got the Let's Get This Done! achievement on my priest. Man, getting XP from BG's was such a great change by Blizz. I know it's real old news at this point, but it gives leveling such a nice flow between that and random dungeons when I get sick of quests.

Just got the Let's Get This Done! achievement on my priest. Man, getting XP from BG's was such a great change by Blizz. I know it's real old news at this point, but it gives leveling such a nice flow between that and random dungeons when I get sick of quests.

Yeah, some of those PvP achievements become nigh impossible once you hit higher levels. It's much easier to get them at low levels when you're all souped up in heirloom gear and there's a level difference in the brackets (albeit less now than it was before with them spanning 10 levels.)

You can end up on a team that completely outclasses the other side, and get some of those hard to get achievements.

Though I do have some that I got at 80 or 85 as well that are near impossible due to the other team quitting. Some of the Strand of the Ancients ones, for example.

And speaking of BGs, I wish Isle of Conquest came up more often than it does. It's a fun BG that doesn't seem to get much love. Played it a bunch on the PTR before it came out on live realms. We really need another 40-man BG besides IoC and AV. AV is still pretty fun, but it's gutted compared to what it once was. I can only imagine how awesome it must have been playing it during the glory days where you actually had to make use of all the mechanics to turn the tide, rather than the bum-rush it is today.

Ooh, that is another thing I should do whenever I get back. Never got a battered hilt myself (though I did see it drop a couple times in that first week when the drop rate was still absurdly high). Was never gonna pay for it though as it would have just been to do the quest. I already had a better weapon at the time.
I don't think I ever would have had enough gold to get it off the auction house. I rarely have much money on me. Always spending it as soon as I get it. But when I am motivated to reach a certain amount, I can get it done. I paid for a rusted proto-drake run on one of my alts in Wrath that cost me 15000 gold. I'm not sure any guild would take you on a mount run for that low nowadays.

The leveling experience is much much nicer now with so many ways to gain exp. It's definitely a huge improvement. I bore of quests pretty quickly in a lot of different zones. Being able to queue up for random dungeons is great. Haven't done a lot of pvp, but I think I will with the next toon I decide to level.

Iceblade

OMG IM SUPER HYPED FOR THE EXPANSIONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Rohnin no longer in charge of the Kirin Tor ^____________^

I hope a raptor ate him. And he was like 'et tu, raptorus?'

What happened to him? Mang, I haven't been keeping up with the lore for years.

Fjordson

The leveling experience is much much nicer now with so many ways to gain exp. It's definitely a huge improvement. I bore of quests pretty quickly in a lot of different zones. Being able to queue up for random dungeons is great. Haven't done a lot of pvp, but I think I will with the next toon I decide to level.
It's a lot fun. It's less complicated than max level BG's obviously, so it's not too rough if you're learning a new class. And a full set of BoA's doesn't hurt either, haha.

strafer

This afternoon the Upgrade Available icon appeared on Battle.net Cataclysm accounts as well as an image of the previously leaked box art. A preorder or release date announcement is likely to be coming in the near future!

upgradeIcon.png
mopBox.jpg

markot

Banned
What happened to him? Mang, I haven't been keeping up with the lore for years.

I dunno, the audio files say that Jaina becomes new leader of the Kirin Tor so fingers crossed he fell down some stairs or something. In fact those stairs in that place he stands in front of are perfect!

Ultratech

Did some Black Temple last night. Managed to get the Halberd and Xbow for my Hunter. Sadly, my group failed at Teron Gorefiend. (I was the only 85, everyone else was low 80s). Nearly solo'd him myself after everyone left, but I messed up and he reset. Then I screwed up again, and just left since he didn't drop anything I wanted. Kinda funny though since I guess due to his fight mechanics, you don't lose durability from becoming a ghost and dying unless he straight up kills you himself.

I don't think I ever would have had enough gold to get it off the auction house. I rarely have much money on me. Always spending it as soon as I get it. But when I am motivated to reach a certain amount, I can get it done. I paid for a rusted proto-drake run on one of my alts in Wrath that cost me 15000 gold. I'm not sure any guild would take you on a mount run for that low nowadays.

I wouldn't mind getting a Battered Hilt, but I can't be bothered to farm the ICC heroics and there's none on the AH. So I dunno...

I was pretty surprised with how much EXP you actually got from BGs. I leveled up quite a bit while doing AV and other stuff.

Something I found odd was that all the Wrath dungeons get removed from the Dungeon Queue when you hit 81. I know there's not much point in running them at that once you hit that point, but I still find it odd given how BC heroics stay in the queue until like 74/75.

Westlo

I was pretty surprised with how much EXP you actually got from BGs. I leveled up quite a bit while doing AV and other stuff.

I transferred my Level 73 Blood Elf Warrior on Blackrock to Frostmourne and made her an Night Elf, just did a Strand of the Ancients and she went from 77% xp through 73 to 96% and I was like "damn".

Also NE female warrior animations ftw.

Alchemy

This afternoon the Upgrade Available icon appeared on Battle.net Cataclysm accounts as well as an image of the previously leaked box art. A preorder or release date announcement is likely to be coming in the near future!

Interesting. I'm expecting something big from the Pandas before the end of August to try to cock block GW2 but it might be short notice for a release at the same time.

So I decided to try this game out again, against my better judgement (every time I quit I uninstall the game and vow to never play it again). I haven't played since 2008.

I just wanted to know: What is the best leveling "route" for a beginner Draenei Shaman to take? I stayed on Azuremyst Isle until around level 11 and now I'm in Bloodmyst Isle at level 18. I figure I can stay here for a few more levels, but then I'm not sure where to go. Ashenvale maybe?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So I decided to try this game out again, against my better judgement (every time I quit I uninstall the game and vow to never play it again). I haven't played since 2008.

I just wanted to know: What is the best leveling "route" for a beginner Draenei Shaman to take? I stayed on Azuremyst Isle until around level 11 and now I'm in Bloodmyst Isle at level 18. I figure I can stay here for a few more levels, but then I'm not sure where to go. Ashenvale maybe?

I suggest you get to Ashenvale now, Azuremyst Isle and Bloodmyst Isle are so outdated quest wise compared to the rest of the lvl 1-60 zones its not funny.

Rokam

Hit level 19 then, go to a capitol city and look for the Message Board, it'll have a quest that will send you to Ashenvale, or if you want to do Eastern Kingdoms, then you'll need to take a boat from Darnassus to Stormwind and look for the board in Stormwind or Ironforge.

Thanks for the tips guys. Am I weird for primarily leveling by grinding? I do quests of course but I often end up finding an area that I like (in this case, the Vector Coil) and killing hordes of enemies. It's soothing. I remember in vanilla I pretty much grinded my way to level 60. Dunno if that's still possible with the higher level cap and all.

I dunno, the audio files say that
Jaina becomes new leader of the Kirin Tor so fingers crossed he fell down some stairs or something. In fact those stairs in that place he stands in front of are perfect!

If we could put audio file things in spoilers, I'd appreciate it. I've been avoiding those on purpose.

Thanks for the tips guys. Am I weird for primarily leveling by grinding? I do quests of course but I often end up finding an area that I like (in this case, the Vector Coil) and killing hordes of enemies. It's soothing. I remember in vanilla I pretty much grinded my way to level 60. Dunno if that's still possible with the higher level cap and all.

Yes, that's sort of odd. It's the absolute most inefficient and most boring way to level.

Tamanon

Banned
I only really just grind while leveling when leveling skinning/leatherworking. It's the only way to actually level that damn profession.

Ha it only took forever lol (4728 ebon whelp kills). According to bunny hunter, it says the grind was almost a full 25 hours. But, I don't recall it being that long. Farming random crap can almost be therapeutic at times. I guess I just zoned out during the grind. Didn't think to get a screenshot while looting, but at least this hunt is over. Now time for Crimson and Azure?
dark_whelpling_finally.png

I really need to clean up my bag space lol. It's a mess.

EDIT: I think im reading that wrong. Maybe it's been 25 hours since the first kill, because below it only shows 10 hours and 18 minutes. Is that the correct actual farm time?

Rokam

Grats! I feel kinda bad, while leveling leatherworking I had 2 drop within minutes of each other in Badlands :(. And then I got a 3rd from the satchel of exotic mysteries. I didn't learn any of them, so I guess at some point I'll have to go back and farm for it. The only Whelp pet I have is the green one.

Grats! I feel kinda bad, while leveling leatherworking I had 2 drop within minutes of each other in Badlands :(. And then I got a 3rd from the satchel of exotic mysteries. I didn't learn any of them, so I guess at some point I'll have to go back and farm for it. The only Whelp pet I have is the green one.
Nice! I'm not upset. I think that is the first time that I've taken a significant amount of time to farm something and it was bound to happen eventually. Some people have worse luck than me. I was kind of hoping that a crimson whelpling would drop since it was taking so much time and they are a zone drop. But no such luck :)

What bag mod are you using?

And that pet tracking one is called Bunny Hunter? I'll have to keep it in mind when I come back, especially with pet battles, I'm sure I'll at least be a bit more into collecting pets than I have been before, even if I don't go completely over the top with it.

I think a better question is why would you not be a superior Affliction Lock?
Psh! As far as I know, Demo really isn't that far behind, especially not on single target fights with minimal movement. I love being a demo lock. Love the AoE output and the felguard's tanking/dps combination for soloing older content in particular. Good pvp survivability, too. Haven't kept up with how things are going to be spec-wise in MoP. I'll worry about that when it gets here.

Westlo

Depends on the class, i think aoe grinding the pirates in tanaris was a right of passage for pre cata mages, prot paladins are also insane grinders in shadowmoon.

Pfft @ Tanaris pirates. AOE farming the Maraudon slimes was the real right of passage.

Depends on the class, i think aoe grinding the pirates in tanaris was a right of passage for pre cata mages, prot paladins are also insane grinders in shadowmoon.
This very much so. One of my real life friends used to take his pally to shadowmoon valley with his block set and farm the crap out of the mobs above black temple. Made me want to level a paladin. He would just round up everything he could and sit back while the mobs killed themselves against his auto-attack and petrified lichen guard shield

What bag mod are you using?

And that pet tracking one is called Bunny Hunter? I'll have to keep it in mind when I come back, especially with pet battles, I'm sure I'll at least be a bit more into collecting pets than I have been before, even if I don't go completely over the top with it.
Yeah it's called Bunny Hunter. It doesn't work for zone drops, but it will keep track of specific mobs that have a chance to drop rare companions/mounts. I've heard of another one called mobinfo or mobinfo2, but i haven't tried it. I think it keeps track of your loot statistics for any and every mob, but it's not specifically geared toward farming rare drops only.

mileS

Where did you farm the Dark Whelpling? that looks like wetlands. Is that supposed to be the highest %? I was pretty sure everyone went to badlands to do that. To the north of where the goat punching quest is. Higher level mobs and everything.

I finally get a chance to be "that guy" I was doing loremaster with a friend, and she told me the dark whelp dropped from those mobs, I killed one, just one. Oh neat there it is. Hate me because I deserve it lol :)

Pop

Hi guys new here.

I'm super excited for the next expansion. Just wish blizz would let me in the beta already.

Where did you farm the Dark Whelpling? that looks like wetlands. Is that supposed to be the highest %? I was pretty sure everyone went to badlands to do that. To the north of where the goat punching quest is. Higher level mobs and everything.

I finally get a chance to be "that guy" I was doing loremaster with a friend, and she told me the dark whelp dropped from those mobs, I killed one, just one. Oh neat there it is. Hate me because I deserve it lol :)
I want to eventually get all the whelplings and the tiny crimson one is a zone drop in the wetlands. That was the biggest reason for going there. I did read that other people have had success in the badlands. Not a big deal, though. Grats on the drop!

Just now getting into transmogrification...this is a total game-changer. It is opening up parts of the game I wouldn't normally venture into, like PvP and raiding.

Couple things - Honor points. What is the fastest and most efficient way to earn them? I almost never do PvP because I die so often (no resilience), but I do have some experience with Alterac Valley. Would I be wasting my time running that over and over? i.e. is one BG better than another when it comes to HP?

Solo raiding - never tried it but a lot of the gear I want for tmog are raid boss drops. I've been reading that you can enter raids with only 2 party members as long as they are both over level 10. Is that true?

Enosh

mostly true, I think you can enter MC and BWL on your own if you are attuned, MC is fine to solo, think every class can do it at this point, BWL first boss is apparently impossible unless you are a hunter

for others yes you need to be in a raid group, but that's easy to fix, have someone with 1 min of free time invite you, then invite one of your alts (not sure if it has to be over level 10), let the guy give you lead and press "covert to raid group" voila can now enter any raid instance, for how easy stuff is to solo, I think MMO champion forum should have some guides or just ask there, from what i understand DKs, Paladins, Druids and Hunters are great for soloing

finally managed to get exalted with the guild and buy the damn pet, the things I did for this thing -.-

worth it
thinking if i should also buy the mount, 2.7k isn't exactly cheap for me (got some 26k), but idk will take forever to get exalted again (I plan on switching guilds)...

SteveWD40

I think MMO champion forum should have some guides or just ask there, from what i understand DKs, Paladins, Druids and Hunters are great for soloing.

There are guides on youtube as well. It used to be (haven't done it in a while):

Prot Pally > Ret Pally > Blood DK > Feral Druid > Boomkin > anything else for soloing, the addition of limited self healing skills to other classes makes them viable for some stuff but to solo raid bosses I think the above are optimal.

Alchemy

Psh! As far as I know, Demo really isn't that far behind, especially not on single target fights with minimal movement. I love being a demo lock. Love the AoE output and the felguard's tanking/dps combination for soloing older content in particular. Good pvp survivability, too. Haven't kept up with how things are going to be spec-wise in MoP. I'll worry about that when it gets here.

I'm actually not sure anymore, but when I leveled up lock to 85 Affliction tanking was where it was at. Dots and Life Siphon everywhere! Was able to solo pretty much everything I wanted that way, including group quests. I think I just hate demonology because metamorphosis should really be a permanent transform :/

Solo raiding - never tried it but a lot of the gear I want for tmog are raid boss drops. I've been reading that you can enter raids with only 2 party members as long as they are both over level 10. Is that true?

For the most part. Molten Core and BWL can be entered solo after you do the attunement quests.

ampere

Got my H Madness kill!!! We were about to call it a night because we were getting pissed off with people bugging out when moving from one platform to another.

Grats!

There are guides on youtube as well. It used to be (haven't done it in a while):

Prot Pally > Ret Pally > Blood DK > Feral Druid > Boomkin > anything else for soloing, the addition of limited self healing skills to other classes makes them viable for some stuff but to solo raid bosses I think the above are optimal.
I would put Blood DK in first place for soloing by far. Hunters are also really good at it with pet tanking. Mionelol soloed Atramedes on her Hunter and has done large number of other solos on Blood DK.

There was also a 10 Blood DK heroic Rag kill recently, not a solo but still funny how much self healing that spec can do that 10 of them didn't need a healer.

Great, thanks for the tips guys! What about my question about HP?

Honor points. What is the fastest and most efficient way to earn them? I almost never do PvP because I die so often (no resilience), but I do have some experience with Alterac Valley. Would I be wasting my time running that over and over? i.e. is one BG better than another when it comes to HP?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You could also do heroics and just trade JP into HP, although i suppose doing AV could be better. Depends which queue is faster and how good your faction is in AV i guess.

You could also do heroics and just trade JP into HP, although i suppose doing AV could be better. Depends which queue is faster and how good your faction is in AV i guess.

Wow. Had no idea you could convert them. I'm glad I asked!

I have nothing else to spend JP on...all the gear there is eclipsed by the VP gear nowadays anyway.

Hi guys new here.

I'm super excited for the next expansion. Just wish blizz would let me in the beta already.

Welcome! Did you annual pass or anything? Have you been trying the beta key giveaways on the other sites?

I love that they removed the raid req for old raids in mop.

makes soloing easier.

Oh man! I missed that news. Now I can run Kara whenever I please for that damn mount without bugging anyone.

I'm actually not sure anymore, but when I leveled up lock to 85 Affliction tanking was where it was at. Dots and Life Siphon everywhere! Was able to solo pretty much everything I wanted that way, including group quests. I think I just hate demonology because metamorphosis should really be a permanent transform :/

For the most part. Molten Core and BWL can be entered solo after you do the attunement quests.
Siphon life was amazing back in the day. They changed it though so that now it's only a chance on each tick that you get return health. Since then, I've been less enthusiastic about affliction. But yeah, it was, probably still is, a great leveling spec.

Top Bottom