• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

It's for things like Grace of Air, Totem of Wrath, Honor Among Thieves, Rampage, etc. Basically raid/group wide buffs.

That makes sense. I just want to be able to see my own buffs, mostly.

And man, I cannot wait for account-wide mounts and pets. I can finally have all options available for everyone :)

Kenai

That makes sense. I just want to be able to see my own buffs, mostly.

And man, I cannot wait for account-wide mounts and pets. I can finally have all options available for everyone :)

I think it's like a checklist for the buffs and debuffs that multiple classes bring so that if you are missing something it's easy to see. This doesn't include every buff every class brings since there's still some unique ones, but it does cover most of them.

I haven't been checking that part of beta much lately so I might be wrong, but it shouldn't have changed that much.

And yes, account wide mounts and pets will be AMAZING. I have several alts that have been far luckier than my Shaman with rare drops. I'm kinda kicking myself for giving away that ZA/ZG raptor mount to my friend now though, but oh well. Headless Horseman, old raid mounts, annoying one-time a year pets, you name it. It'll be nice.

While it feels weird losing that ranged slot, it does make a lot of sense. Relics did nothing but add stat buffs that classes without those slots were missing, while the classes that did have them for the most part had no need for both weapons. I assume they'll compensate warriors and rogues for the lack of ranged pulling, though. Still, my biggest gripe with the upcoming expansion is that there just isn't that enticing enemy that the other 3 expansions had. BC had the demons, WotLK had the Scourge, Cataclysm had the dragons.... and now MoP has some guys who like to pick on pandas. I'm assuming that this will be the second to last expansion for WoW before they move on to a new MMO so maybe they're saving their heavy hitting encounters for the last one (Sargeras seems like the perfect final encounter), but in the mean time, we're stuck without much reason to want to gear up for end-game raids. In retrospect, I wish I had come back closer to the beginning of Cataclysm, as it seems that I may be too late to take part in raids that actually interest me. Oh well, there's always a chance that they add some more interesting stuff in upcoming patches.

I can't stay logged in to the PTR for more than like 5 minutes.

I did log in over and over and managed to pick out some talents, do my keybinds, and put my spells back on my bars. I tried out my Rogue and went Combat. I got a talent that lets me do stealth moves without breaking stealth for a few seconds, so now I can cheap shot and ambush or garrote someone without breaking stealth. I don't seem to have enough energy to do a third move though. I also got the healing poison and it works with deadly, so I can both at the same time. I also got shadowstep. I'm combat with Shadowstep!

Oh and I love having all my mounts on every character. Now I got my OG ZG raptor and tiger on both my Hunter and Rogue. I originally got the tiger on my rogue and the raptor on my hunter.

Rokam

So how does Fan of Knives work now without a ranged slot? And the inability to put a specific poison on the weapon depending on what you're doing.

So how does Fan of Knives work now without a ranged slot? And the inability to put a specific poison on the weapon depending on what you're doing.

It works and looks the same as it does now. I don't think it can spread poisons anymore though. I'll have to check. If I could stay logged in.

Tamanon

Banned
Fan of Knives Level 90
35 Energy
Instant
Instantly whirl around, releasing a spray of knives at all targets within 10 yards, dealing 998 to 1495 Physical damage. This attack has a chance of applying your active poisons at their normal rate. Awards 1 combo points if it strikes your current combo target.

Applies poisons still.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I bitched a bit ago about how hard it was to find a 7/7h group. Well, I finally found one and got my second Rag kill. If I keep coming to the raid each week I get a +10 on my rolls so it'll take a few weeks but I'll get my mount. :D

Now I just hope it takes MoP months to come out.

ampere

A few people are asking about how rogue poisons work on beta so lemme explain:

You have a Poisons button in your spellbook, similar to how mages have a teleport button on live. Click the button and you have a few poisons listed, some damaging and some utility. You can have 1 damaging poison and 1 utility poison on at a time. When you have a poison on, it affects both of your daggers.

Instant poison is gone. Deadly Poison doesn't have ramp up now, and it has an instant proc component (to compensate for instant going away). Basically all PvE rogues will use deadly poison and an optional utility poison. For PvP, wound poison will be the dps poison and then a utility like crippling.

Shiv no longer applies the offhand poison, it instead has a concentrated effect for the utility poison and it has a short CD.

Ah, OK. Throw doesn't though, right?
I just tried it on beta and throw does not apply poisons.

Cipherr

A few people are asking about how rogue poisons work on beta so lemme explain:

You have a Poisons button in your spellbook, similar to how mages have a teleport button on live. Click the button and you have a few poisons listed, some damaging and some utility. You can have 1 damaging poison and 1 utility poison on at a time. When you have a poison on, it affects both of your daggers.

Instant poison is gone. Deadly Poison doesn't have ramp up now, and it has an instant proc component (to compensate for instant going away). Basically all PvE rogues will use deadly poison and an optional utility poison. For PvP, wound poison will be the dps poison and then a utility like crippling.

Shiv no longer applies the offhand poison, it instead has a concentrated effect for the utility poison and it has a short CD.

I just tried it on beta and throw does not apply poisons.

Such a good poison change man.

I like the glyph of Vanish that leaves a fake version of you just standing there. lol Rogues need more ninja stuff like that. There's so much stuff they could do to make Rogues just look more fun. It's kind of sad when our coolest looking spells are Vanish and Smoke Bomb. Someone send them a Naruto DVD and a copy of Ninja Gaiden.

Dresden

I like the glyph of Vanish that leaves a fake version of you just standing there. lol Rogues need more ninja stuff like that. There's so much stuff they could do to make Rogues just look more fun. It's kind of sad when our coolest looking spells are Vanish and Smoke Bomb. Someone send them a Naruto DVD and a copy of Ninja Gaiden.

They'd just give it to monks anyways.

Kinda sore about recent beta changes for shadow priests. Still dunno what i want to play in the xpac. Shamans are out--might go with mage priest or paladin.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Glyph of Picard Maneuver

Cipherr

This weekend is 25% off of server xfers. Its probably old news but I packed my shit and moved to Stormrage.

DAT ALLIANCE POPULATION. Man its active as hell here. PUGs for days. People running everything, just EVERYTHING. Even old ass shit. Never seen so many runs looking to fill a spot or two for ToC or Ulduar alongside FL and DS and everything in between before, its glooooooorius.

This weekend is 25% off of server xfers. Its probably old news but I packed my shit and moved to Stormrage.

DAT ALLIANCE POPULATION. Man its active as hell here. PUGs for days. People running everything, just EVERYTHING. Even old ass shit. Never seen so many runs looking to fill a spot or two for ToC or Ulduar alongside FL and DS and everything in between before, its glooooooorius.

Damn it.

I really, really need this, but I can't afford it right now, even with the discount. Especially between the Steam sale and having to replace my laptop fan.

I don't recall it ever being discounted before.

Maybe there's a slim chance it will pop up again before Mists launches, though that seems unlikely.

God I hate the new talent system.

No sense of customization, no choice.

I miss the old 71 points. :(

You do realize it was only a "sense" of customization, right?

There was really only one way to spec a tree, with maybe 2 or 3 throwaway points at most.

All the other other talent points were just going through the motions.

Cipherr

Damn it.

I really, really need this, but I can't afford it right now, even with the discount. Especially between the Steam sale and having to replace my laptop fan.

I don't recall it ever being discounted before.

Maybe there's a slim chance it will pop up again before Mists launches, though that seems unlikely.

I dont think they ever have before. They are doing this now, last weekend it was a 25% discount on Faction Changes. It'll probably be something like Name Changes or Appearance Change or Race change. I would go for it if you can this weekend man, I dont think it ends until Monday morning or something.

I just did not want to be on some middling pop server come the rush at the start of the expansion.

You do realize it was only a "sense" of customization, right?

There was really only one way to spec a tree, with maybe 2 or 3 throwaway points at most.

All the other other talent points were just going through the motions.

Indeed. Having 15 "increase your damage/healing by X%" talents that stack to 5 to give the illusion of choice was terrible. I like it this way better.

Grrr! I'm annoyed that you get charged for transferring a single toon to a new server. It makes no sense to up and leave the rest of your characters that you have on the server you're trying to leave. You gimp yourself by leaving your system of sustainable resources. I can understand charging for transfers to prevent blatant jumping around of toons all the time, plus the server loads that come with increased server populations. But it's a rip-off not allowing you to take all the toons, or at least multiple toons, on your account that are on the specific server you're trying to leave. I would just suck it up and pay the transfer fee, but not for just one character. That's BS and pure money hatting imo.

I like the new talents. When I looked at them, I actually had to put some thought into my decisions because they didn't necessarily affect my DPS. I actually have to read the tip and think about what situations each talent would be good for. I felt almost the same about the glyphs, though to a lesser extent. Some of the glyphs look the same and will definitely affect your DPS. I just wish there were more talents. You have like, 7 talents? For 90 levels? Seems kind of skimpy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
God I hate the new talent system.

No sense of customization, no choice.

I miss the old 71 points. :(

lol there's more choice with 5 talents than there ever was with the old system.

I assume you're referring to the beta? Could you elaborate please?
You only have an illusion of choice on live. Every talent that increases your DPS you take and there's few options beyond that.

Jrmint

You get all of the passive talents naturally as you level up now so they want to make the actual abilities you choose meaningful and not just obvious dps choices. Also you'll be able to switch them out on the fly like glyphs.

idlewild_

It still felt like customization.

It only felt like customization if you a) did not bother to read the talents and/or b) did not know what you were doing. If you read the talents and knew your class, there was no choice apart from a few filler points that you probably didn't even need to spend to play optimally. You could only screw up and gimp yourself under that system.

This new system is much better and basically what they were intending and failed to achieve in Cata. There are still some issues with certain tiers being an illusion of choice, but I would say they did a pretty good job of giving most tiers viable options to choose from based on playstyle or scenario.

Angry Grimace

It only felt like customization if you a) did not bother to read the talents and/or b) did not know what you were doing. If you read the talents and knew your class, there was no choice apart from a few filler points that you probably didn't even need to spend to play optimally. You could only screw up and gimp yourself under that system.

This new system is much better and basically what they were intending and failed to achieve in Cata. There are still some issues with certain tiers being an illusion of choice, but I would say they did a pretty good job of giving most tiers viable options to choose from based on playstyle or scenario.
Exactly - you NEVER had anywhere close to 5 "choices" in the old system. Even assuming 2 of the choices per tree are "obvious," in reality, you never had 3 choices in the old system either.

Sethos

Banned
I can't wait for the new talent system. I'm sick of always having to read up on builds, hearing about why you should have picked X talent instead of Y, really detrimental to the experience. At least they take that away now and let us be our own masters, then it's just a matter of focusing on attack rotations and abilities.

Enosh

At least they take that away now and let us be our own masters
nope
at least not for DKs, it's already been mathed out which first, fourth and fifth tier talent to take in order to get the most out of the dps and the second, third and fourth tiers are pretty much no brainers depending on spec, a sprint is way better than anything else in the third tier unless something needs to be kitted, but there are classes better at that job than DKs, purgatory is pretty much mandatory for tanks and AMZ for DPS

the only real choice we have is the 90s talent on the sheer fact that they are all absolute shit for pve

I assume there is similar theorycrafting going on for all the other classes, in short as long as there are numbers someone will figure out which numbers are better

Angry Grimace

nope
at least not for DKs, it's already been mathed out which first, fourth and fifth tier talent to take in order to get the most out of the dps and the second, third and fourth tiers are pretty much no brainers depending on spec, a sprint is way better than anything else in the third tier unless something needs to be kitted, but there are classes better at that job than DKs, purgatory is pretty much mandatory for tanks and AMZ for DPS

the only real choice we have is the 90s talent on the sheer fact that they are all absolute shit for pve

I assume there is similar theorycrafting going on for all the other classes, in short as long as there are numbers someone will figure out which numbers are better

None of them actively do enough for it to be as obvious as you're claiming.

Cipherr

Grrr! I'm annoyed that you get charged for transferring a single toon to a new server. It makes no sense to up and leave the rest of your characters that you have on the server you're trying to leave. You gimp yourself by leaving your system of sustainable resources. I can understand charging for transfers to prevent blatant jumping around of toons all the time, plus the server loads that come with increased server populations. But it's a rip-off not allowing you to take all the toons, or at least multiple toons, on your account that are on the specific server you're trying to leave. I would just suck it up and pay the transfer fee, but not for just one character. That's BS and pure money hatting imo.

I used blizzbucks for most of mine that I just had sitting in a balance from selling stuff on the RMAH in Diablo 3. I actually paid for one, before I noticed my balance on the freaking page in green. Had I not opted out of the Blizzbalance like an idiot for no reason on my first transfer, all 5 of my characters would have been moved at no out of pocket cost heh. No biggie though.

Angry Grimace

lmao they don't charge you that to prevent you from moving your characters around or prevent any kind of trouble whatsoever. They charge you that because that is how they make money.

Westlo

Had 2 accounts for the last 3 weeks, only yesterday did I finally try and take advantage of moving things to the other faction... pets are making a killing... haven't really found anything else except Savage Leather Cloaks.. but margin is much lower.

Edit - Some fuck sniped 5 Magic Lamps off me :( Didn't even have the balls to reply to me even though I said it was my bad lol... on a better note while doing LFR Fall of Deathwing.. had 2 diff people open trade and give me firstly chest and than some random cloth gloves without any prompting.

Going for the Raven Lord these days. Anybody ever get it to drop?

It dropped for me on my first run of heroic sethekk halls back in the beginning of BC ;l was the first one on my entire server to get the drop as far as I know. Probably my favorite ground mount in the game still so i'm glad it was so easy for me to obtain.

Beyond that, in my small 15ish person guild we had like 5 or 6 people that had farmed it so it can't be that bad I guess.

Top Bottom