• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I just downloaded the ptr and its brutal with all these disconnections. Hopefully they fix it up monday.
I've managed to play for a few minutes, and even then the build is ridden by bugs. I believe the disconnection problems are because of the amount of players trying to log in. There appears to be a misconception over the PTR, quite a few believed they were going to "test" the beta. First time I logged in there was a guy asking how to get to Pandaria (well, he wrote "Panda city"). And well, that is quite difficult (not impossible as Blizzard has said).

I also noticed a change in the blue walls surrounding each instance, they are gone! The actual invisible walls are still there, but the annoying blue shimmer isn't. Don't know why it was added in the first place, it serves no purpose and those walls can easily be penetrated anyhow.

Edit - Some fuck sniped 5 Magic Lamps off me :( Didn't even have the balls to reply to me even though I said it was my bad lol... on a better note while doing LFR Fall of Deathwing.. had 2 diff people open trade and give me firstly chest and than some random cloth gloves without any prompting.

Probably a bot. I've had that happen to me while transferring stuff through the neutral AH.

Rokam

I love winning the fishing contest. Did it on a 75 on a pvp server. It's like people forget that pools can spawn in Northern STV. Was up there by myself while people were fighting alliance in Cape of STV. Wish the Northrend contest wasn't dumb luck, and that they'd add another contest in MoP.

Going for the Raven Lord these days. Anybody ever get it to drop?

I have it. Took roughly 30 attempts. Did it at 80 too. At 85 it'd be even quicker, though it's definitely faster if you can stealth through and avoid most of the mobs.

I love winning the fishing contest. Did it on a 75 on a pvp server. It's like people forget that pools can spawn in Northern STV. Was up there by myself while people were fighting alliance in Cape of STV. Wish the Northrend contest wasn't dumb luck, and that they'd add another contest in MoP.

Well there is that new fishing faction. It probably would have been mentioned somewhere if there was a new contest already implemented, but it seems very likely that there will be in a future patch. The Northrend one didn't exist until a couple patches into the expansion. Quite unfortunate that the Derby is pretty much all luck.

I have won the Extravaganza before. It was quite a rush to win that one and definitely takes more skill with just a hint of luck, rather than the other way around. I do need to try again someday though so I can get the Arcanite Rod as well (took the trinket first time out.)

Ultratech

Making some nice money off Saronite lately.
Then again, it seems like I'm about the only one in Northrend actually seeking out nodes (and TLPD).

Going for the Raven Lord these days. Anybody ever get it to drop?

I got it sometime back (like a month ago). Took me 47 kills, so good luck!

Still hunting for that White Hawkstrider and Blue Proto-Drake. Prolly not gonna bother with the Deathcharger yet...

scoobs

Making some nice money off Saronite lately.
Then again, it seems like I'm about the only one in Northrend actually seeking out nodes (and TLPD).

I got it sometime back (like a month ago). Took me 47 kills, soo good luck!

Still hunting for that White Hawkstrider and Blue Proto-Drake. Prolly not gonna bother with the Deathcharger yet...
I have all of them and let me tell you, it takes some serious dedication and patience

Fjordson

Fuckin' blue proto-drake...that's been my most wanted mount ever since Blizzard put it in the game. Had it drop twice during Wrath and I lost the roll both times =[ never going to get that thing.

Fuckin' blue proto-drake...that's been my most wanted mount ever since Blizzard put it in the game. Had it drop twice during Wrath and I lost the roll both times =[ never going to get that thing.

You honestly probably have a better chance of getting it from a dungeon satchel.

:/

And speaking of Wrath mounts, I need to go after the Twilight Drake sometime. The Azure Drake is nice too, but Eye is still annoying and the drop rate is way too low.

I should also probably work on getting an Ironbound Proto-Drake, as well as one (or both) of the Frost Wyrms from ICC. Could work on finishing Shadowmourne well I'm at it there. At the part where you have to do the stuff with the bosses, before the easier, though more tedious part of getting the shards.

Rambaldi

my boyfriend randomly remembered that he had done RaF a few months ago and had a rocket but found that it had become the new mount instead. that thing is pretty nice looking.

he's super burned out on the game right now but randomly decided he wanted to do some old school stuff with me so we started running Kara and the Warhorse dropped!

tumblr_m7l5661eUJ1ra4ciao1_500.jpg

I won it but he wasn't mad since he got the Baron's mount back when we were doing Stratholme back in the day. It only took 4 runs today across different toons. I'm pretty stoked. :D

You honestly probably have a better chance of getting it from a dungeon satchel.

:/

And speaking of Wrath mounts, I need to go after the Twilight Drake sometime. The Azure Drake is nice too, but Eye is still annoying and the drop rate is way too low.

I should also probably work on getting an Ironbound Proto-Drake, as well as one (or both) of the Frost Wyrms from ICC. Could work on finishing Shadowmourne well I'm at it there. At the part where you have to do the stuff with the bosses, before the easier, though more tedious part of getting the shards.
Not going to flip out like i did a while back, but the rewards in the satchel still really annoy me. Completely trivializes farming rare drops when you can just farm heroics and get them in a bag. Like the Crimson and Azure whelplings are pretty much impossible to farm and are never on the AH on my server. Still haven't ruled out a transfer to stormrage. Would really like to finish heroic Ulduar and I haven't even been inside Firelands.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have all of them and let me tell you, it takes some serious dedication and patience

Raven Lord is the easiest of those to do. I got Deathcharger back when there was a bug in Stratholme that let you run to the Baron in less than 5 minutes and got it in 14 attempts. The White Hawkstrider has a higher drop rate than Deathcharger or Raven Lord, but it takes a long time to run through that dungeon. Raven Lord I got in ~4 days, but I also parked 7 level 85 characters outside of Sethekk and did it 7 times per day.

The only rare mount I have legitimately obtained is the Drake of the North Wind, which I got in a LFD at level 82. The Raptor in new-ZG dropped for me once off of Mandokir, but I lost. Not super interested in Blue Proto, though.

Fjordson

Holy fuck, you can get mounts as an LFD reward? Mind blown. Is that a newer thing? I don't remember that being the case when I played during Wrath.

Whooter

Holy fuck, you can get mounts as an LFD reward? Mind blown. Is that a newer thing? I don't remember that being the case when I played during Wrath.

IIRC, when they introduced Dungeon Finder, there was a real problem with people getting into Occulus and then immediately dropping because it was such a difficult instance to complete if everyone didn't know what the hell they were doing.

So Blizz added a bonus satchel of loots to the chest after the last boss, with the possibility of the mount in the satchel. AFAIK it was only on that Dungeon, and they don't do it any more.

Fjordson

IIRC, when they introduced Dungeon Finder, there was a real problem with people getting into Occulus and then immediately dropping because it was such a difficult instance to complete if everyone didn't know what the hell they were doing.

So Blizz added a bonus satchel of loots to the chest after the last boss, with the possibility of the mount in the satchel. AFAIK it was only on that Dungeon, and they don't do it any more.
Oh god, I remember everyone dropping out of Occulus. That was always annoying. I don't remember that change so I guess it was put in after I left the game. Interesting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Well, I got it as just a drop off of the boss, but you can get them out of the bags you get for tanking - they have Deathcharger, Raven Lord, White Hawkstrider, Raven Lord, Blue and Green Proto Drakes and the White Polar Bear. I have no insight as to whether they will add the Catalclysm-era dungeon mounts like Altairus or Slabhide at some point.

Fjordson

Well, I got it as just a drop off of the boss, but you can get them out of the bags you get for tanking - they have Deathcharger, Raven Lord, White Hawkstrider, Raven Lord, Blue and Green Proto Drakes and the White Polar Bear. I have no insight as to whether they will add the Catalclysm-era dungeon mounts like Altairus or Slabhide at some point.
Ah, right. Thanks. Wish there was a healer bag :p

I remember trying for the Green Proto in Sholazar for like a year lol. So many Aged Yolks from that bloody thing. Ugh.

Angry Grimace

Ah, right. Thanks. Wish there was a healer bag :p

I remember trying for the Green Proto in Sholazar for like a year lol. So many Aged Yolks from that bloody thing. Ugh.

Call to Arms (and the satchel) can and does show up in the healer role. It just depends on what the demand is.

So, I've never been interested in finishing the Glory of the Hero achievements, but today the itch to go back and try and solo some of the cheeves got the better of me. I knocked off Zombiefest, Intense Cold, Watch Him Die, Respect Your Elders, and Better Off Dread on my lock. The only two I have left are Ruby Void, and Share the Love, both of which require a group. I guess I may end up getting that Red Proto Drake after all.
Someday it will drop for me. Some day!

I'd really like to farm Kara and The Eye for the rare raid drops. I'd do them more often if there wasn't the hassle of having to form a raid group every time. My guild is dead, so there is never anyone online to ask for help. I could spam trade, but I'm not motivated enough to deal with people I don't know.

Let me break it down further (without referencing patch notes explicitly, this is from memory):

Dungeon Finder Introduced in 3.3

Oculus was always a pain in the ass, but particularly so if people didn't know what they were doing, that it got to the point where people would just drop group if they got it as a random and suck up the time penalty.

In one of the patches after this became a well-known and widespread problem, 3.3.X, Blizzard introduced a special satchel that had a 100% chance of dropping if you completed Oculus in a random dungeon finder group. This satchel contained a pretty damn good chance (in mount drop terms) of containing the Blue Drake which was otherwise only attainable via rare drop chance from 10-man Malygos (which hardly anyone ran, and certainly not at that point), as well as a couple of badges and a few gems. So this was pretty much your only chance to get a Blue Drake.

This incentive actually worked out pretty well because MOUNT LUST!

So the system employed for the Oculus was adapted into the current Satchel of Exotic Mysteries which rewards players for filling a role that is currently in need in the Dungeon Finder system. Most of the time it will be for tanks (which is the most unforgiving role with randoms), though it does pop up for healers relatively often, and rarely, rarely is it for DPS. To acquire these bags with any frequency, you'll need to be a tank or healer (or both!)

I do believe, however, that there was a time that the Call to Arms system was implemented but before the Satchels with the mounts/pets were in. Then you would just get about double the money, and extra emblems. The satchels may have been a response to the initial difficulty of the Cataclysm heroics (I only ever queued with randoms a few times early on) rather than implemented from the start of Cata, though I'm not absolutely sure on that. You'd have to read patch notes from 3.3 to 4.1 or so (as well as relevant blue posts) to get the whole story.

Now, it appears as though you can still get the Satchel from Oculus, but you have to randomly queue for it, which means you have to be that level range. So you either get lucky, or you cap your level. With account-wide mounts in Mists, it may be a wise idea to get an alt at 80 (or up to 83 possibly?), lock their level, gear them up, and run random Wrath heroics, hoping that you hit on Oculus (and then hoping that you get the drake out of the bag). It's a long and convoluted process, but it'd still be quicker, if not easier, than running EoE every week. ALthough EoE now drops the Azure Drake regardless of the difficulty setting, though it used to only drop in 25-man. Not sure if the Blue Drake actually still drops from the raid or not.

Rokam

I loved that incentive to complete Occulus. I enjoyed the instance, was a nice change of pace from always tanking and it took like no time at all to complete, post ilvl working on vehicles that is.

Westlo

Just got my time lord shoulders with a 200 roll beating someone who got a 199... feel bad for him but after my run of 2nd places last week... Nice LFR runs this week, Time Lord Chest + Shoulders, Gloves of Liquid Smoke and Finger of Zon'ozz... still need to get a Deathwing kill...

Probably a bot. I've had that happen to me while transferring stuff through the neutral AH.

Just lost an Enchanted Lantern to him again before, literally bought it the second it was posted and he's always in Winterspring. Def a bot... talked to his gm just to make sure... and he hasn't done a single quest or raid since joining and has never spoken, bot for sure. Got him gkicked but it's not like that matters to a bot...

Kinda ridic I have to fly to Winterspring to report him though... and I basically can't shift magic lamps and enchanted lanterns which are a profit of around 1400g each on my server, sucks.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Just got my time lord shoulders with a 200 roll beating someone who got a 199... feel bad for him but after my run of 2nd places last week... Nice LFR runs this week, Time Lord Chest + Shoulders, Gloves of Liquid Smoke and Finger of Zon'ozz... still need to get a Deathwing kill...

Kinda ridic I have to fly to Winterspring to report him though... and I basically can't shift magic lamps and enchanted lanterns which are a profit of around 1400g each on my server, sucks.
Are you making money on Alliance and Horde?

Set the buyout for like 1400.01 and just shift your gold back and forth. If you want to move a large amount of gold over after you rack up gold on your alt faction, sell something stupid to your main faction for like 50k or whatever.
You can't beat bots.

Ultratech

Now, it appears as though you can still get the Satchel from Oculus, but you have to randomly queue for it, which means you have to be that level range. So you either get lucky, or you cap your level. With account-wide mounts in Mists, it may be a wise idea to get an alt at 80 (or up to 83 possibly?), lock their level, gear them up, and run random Wrath heroics, hoping that you hit on Oculus (and then hoping that you get the drake out of the bag). It's a long and convoluted process, but it'd still be quicker, if not easier, than running EoE every week. ALthough EoE now drops the Azure Drake regardless of the difficulty setting, though it used to only drop in 25-man. Not sure if the Blue Drake actually still drops from the raid or not.

You'd have to lock at 80, since all Wrath stuff gets removed from the dungeon queue once you hit 81. (Or so I found out the hard way on my DK...weird given how BC Heroics stay in until like 74/75.)

And Malygos supposedly drops the Blue Drake along with the Azure Drake. As far as I know, it still drops from what I've read on it.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Call to arms and the satchel were interested at the same time in 4.1.

Hilariously, "Call to Arms" really only applies to the classes that don't bring the arms (DPS). It's really just for healers/tanks. However it still has flaws. Example from a guild mate last night: queued as a tank because it was the CtA, his queue was 5 minutes. By the time got into the group the CtA had gone away so he didn't get his satchel at the end.

EoE takes like 5-10 minutes to do, tops with a handful of people.

Finally got the Staff of Corruption, which seriously bumped up my ilvl and opened up the LFR tool.

375 ilvl arcane mage with no raid experience. Is LFR the best place to start? I tried reading up on some of the bosses in the dungeon journal but I don't think it will prepare me very much.

Also, I have been saving up Valor points but haven't spent any yet - what piece is going to give me the best return on investment? I think the head piece looks pretty good...and someone said getting the trinkets is a waste until I get all the other pieces first. Is that accurate?

Entropia

No One Remembers
Finally got the Staff of Corruption, which seriously bumped up my ilvl and opened up the LFR tool.

375 ilvl arcane mage with no raid experience. Is LFR the best place to start? I tried reading up on some of the bosses in the dungeon journal but I don't think it will prepare me very much.

Also, I have been saving up Valor points but haven't spent any yet - what piece is going to give me the best return on investment? I think the head piece looks pretty good...and someone said getting the trinkets is a waste until I get all the other pieces first. Is that accurate?

LFR is really the only place to start :)

Get the cloak - there's no upgrades in Dragon Soul/LFR.

Westlo

Trying to farm Circle of Flame for my Mage... I can tell this is going to be something that will take a heap of kills.. at least it's quick and I get 5, sometimes 6 Large Brills for 5 mins work..

Are you making money on Alliance and Horde?

Set the buyout for like 1400.01 and just shift your gold back and forth. If you want to move a large amount of gold over after you rack up gold on your alt faction, sell something stupid to your main faction for like 50k or whatever.
You can't beat bots.

Trying to make money on both actually, plan to have 2 guild banks full of stuff for both factions and make a killing @ 5.0 + MOP launches... But yeah this is some sound advice.. cheers.

Go with LFR for sure and definitely stick with Arcane, I just switched from Frost to Arcane this week and what a difference. I've run Fall twice (only killed Deathwing once) and Siege the first time today, already got Timelord Chest and Shoulder + 390 DPS Cloth gloves and a wand.

Depending on your gold situation I was also look @ buying...

http://www.wowhead.com/item=71980
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=101923

Legs seem to be 6-7k on most AHs but maybe talk to people who can craft and get it under 4k, bracers are better than Valor but the later is probably much cheaper. Can also buy Valor boots which are pretty damn good.

Trying to farm Circle of Flame for my Mage... I can tell this is going to be something that will take a heap of kills.. at least it's quick and I get 5, sometimes 6 Large Brills for 5 mins work..

Trying to make money on both actually, plan to have 2 guild banks full of stuff for both factions and make a killing @ 5.0 + MOP launches... But yeah this is some sound advice.. cheers.

Go with LFR for sure and definitely stick with Arcane, I just switched from Frost to Arcane this week and what a difference. I've run Fall twice (only killed Deathwing once) and Siege the first time today, already got Timelord Chest and Shoulder + 390 DPS Cloth gloves and a wand.

Depending on your gold situation I was also look @ buying...

http://www.wowhead.com/item=71980
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=101923

Legs seem to be 6-7k on most AHs but maybe talk to people who can craft and get it under 4k, bracers are better than Valor but the later is probably much cheaper. Can also buy Valor boots which are pretty damn good.

Thanks for the tips! But just looking at that first one, isn't Time Lord's Leggings better than Lavaquake Legwraps? Shouldn't I just spend the Valor and get those instead of spending gold?

edit: using my phone because WoW sites are blocked at work...I just noticed TL's Leggings are not sold for valor points, but a badge of some sort. Obviously I don't yet fully understand the end-game gear system but I will be looking into it this evening!

Westlo

Yeah Time Lord Leggings are by

Leggings of the Corrupted Vanquisher
Raid Finder
Binds when picked up
Classes: Rogue, Death Knight, Mage, Druid

Also remember we're talking LFR so the TL legs are Item Level 384 where as the Lava Legs are 397, equal to valor gear. But obviously you can't be choosing when stuff drops in LFR...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
With the expansion being not so far from us, i wouldnt waste over 1000g for an enchant unless you're very rich. Especially if that staff is the one i think it is(378 item lvl from a heroic right?).

With the expansion being not so far from us, i wouldnt waste over 1000g for an enchant unless you're very rich. Especially if that staff is the one i think it is(378 item lvl from a heroic right?).

Very good point. It's the best 5man Heroic mage staff, 378, dropped from last boss in Hour of Twilight.

I only have around ~5k gold and don't actively farm so I'll keep my money!

Enosh

I only have around ~5k gold and don't actively farm so I'll keep my money!
yeah don't waste 1.2k on something you'll replace soon (lfr, mist) anyway

unless you are in a semi serious raiding guild that's still doing some progression, then you need to enchant and gem all your shit imho

So... this is interesting....

They decided they're not going to allow you to buy battle pets on the auction house.

Well, right now at least. I'm guessing they're gonna get enough feedback that they keep it in.

I don't agree with it. Granted, I'm gonna try to collect as many as I can... but why stunt people from buying and selling if they want to. So what if someone buys all level 25 pets? I'm not going to battle them anyways if my pets are not 25. That's their game experience - not mine.

They should just let people decide on how they want to play that part of the game.

Alchemy

So... this is interesting....

They decided they're not going to allow you to buy battle pets on the auction house.

Well, right now at least. I'm guessing they're gonna get enough feedback that they keep it in.

I don't agree with it. Granted, I'm gonna try to collect as many as I can... but why stunt people from buying and selling if they want to. So what if someone buys all level 25 pets? I'm not going to battle them anyways if my pets are not 25. That's their game experience - not mine.

They should just let people decide on how they want to play that part of the game.

Don't battle pets level up as you use them? It would be a little weird to allow people to auction off higher level pets.

Angry Grimace

Time to get back to the grind of farming Ashes of Al'ar :(

I need that damn mount, but never had any luck with raid mounts though, been running forever trying to get the Vampire Flame Horse too.

Interesting.

nPUJY.jpg

Well, people have been clamoring for Digital CEs...

I wonder if this will be a limited time only thing, or if it will persist indefinitely.

I may end up going for this, rather than a regular CE since for WoW it really doesn't matter having the box or not, but we'll have to see what all exactly we're getting besides the underwhelming pet and mediocre mount before I'd make a decision. Also depends on the price and feature discrepancy between the physical CE and this. It does say digital deluxe, not digital collector's edition after all.

Soundtrack and art book alone in the physical CE are probably worth it. I am running out of room for large boxes though.

Fjordson

Yeah, I love Blizzard CE's, but I'm not sure if I'm going to go with one for Mists. I bought the Burning Crusade and Wrath ones, but just stuck with the regular edition for Cata. I have too much collectible crap in my house at this point :lol

Digital CE could be interesting. Wonder how much it'll cost. Digital full soundtrack download and some other in-game bonus for like $20 extra would probably get me to bite.

Ultratech

Digital CE seems interesting enough. Wonder how much more expensive it will be though...that'll be the factor whether it's worth it or not for me.

Time to get back to the grind of farming Ashes of Al'ar :(

I need that damn mount, but never had any luck with raid mounts though, been running forever trying to get the Vampire Flame Horse too.

Yeah, I'd really like the Ashes too, but I haven't quite gotten the hang of doing it solo yet, and any groups I go with are stupid about the encounter (i.e. they fall to Mind Control).

If you really want a raid mount though, try and find a small group to do Obsidian Sanctum 10/25 since if you leave the three mini-bosses up and take out the main boss, he's guaranteed to drop a Black Drake (10-man) or a Twilight Drake (25-man).

Fjordson

Digital CE seems interesting enough. Wonder how much more expensive it will be though...that'll be the factor whether it's worth it or not for me.
Agreed. If it's anywhere near the physical CE price then I'll have to pass.

I got a quick question to all you mount collectors. If I wanted to farm one of the older instances or raids for a mount on my 85 hunter, what would be the easiest? Not in terms of having it drop, I realize any of them could take forever to get, but easiest as far as what you have to clear to get it.

I know the Kara mount is right near the beginning, but I don't really like that one. I was thinking about going for the Raven Lord one.

Ultratech

I got a quick question to all you mount collectors. If I wanted to farm one of the older instances or raids for a mount on my 85 hunter, what would be the easiest? Not in terms of having it drop, I realize any of them could take forever to get, but easiest as far as what you have to clear to get it.

I know the Kara mount is right near the beginning, but I don't really like that one. I was thinking about going for the Raven Lord one.

Let's see...
-Raven Lord isn't too bad since you can Camo through most of the trash except for some of those damn guards by the doorways that seem to see through Stealth (or something like that...they have wonky vision). You'll have to fight a few of those guys and they come in pairs. You'll also have to kill the first boss, but he's easy stuff. If you're decently geared, it should be fairly quick.

-Blue Proto-Drake is pretty easy too since once again, you can Camo through most of the trash leading up to the boss (as well as skip two bosses). You will have to likely fight one or two packs, but that's about it.

-Kara is really easy as you mentioned since you just clear all the trash around the boss, fight it, and that's it. Pretty simple.

-If you can get 1-3 people for it, Malygos (EoE 10-man) doesn't take more than 10 min (Enrage Timer) and has the chance to drop 2 different mounts. Not even really that hard at 85 unless you can't put out enough damage. May wanna read up on the last phase so you know what to do though.

Top Bottom