• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Have they said what is up with the DCs on the PTR? It's not just that there's a lot of people on. I tried one of the "low" servers and was DCed over and over too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Man you gotta get that money up! Here's some tips you can do in less than 5 mins every time you log on, level 77-79 twink gear!

I bought the beast version of this

http://www.wowhead.com/item=55463

for 30g and flipped it for 700g this morning. It's better than any of the weapons from Trial of the Crusader the second last raid for Wrath and can be used by a Level 79 in the 75-79 PVP bracket...

Another item.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=55260#comments

I bought one for my own warrior for 300g, not as a twink just as something to help leveling... I bought one this morning for 90g and put it up on the AH for 999g, sold 40 mins ago. Just put in 77-79 as your fields and search for 2h swords, axes, maces etc.. anything under 150g that is good like beast, out it back up for 500-700. Edit - Make sure it's the Cata greens that are like Item Level 270+, lol @ some people putting the old Ilevel 170 stuff up for 400g.

Also look up Thunderbluff/Ironforge vendor runs. It works even though copper rods haven't been selling period for me the last 5 days... was one of my best selling items along with the Thunderbluff pet...

Who would pay 700g for a green?

I can totally see people snapping those level 80 greens. It's a total bitch to go into Hyjal in WOTLK blues and greens. That place was balanced around people having at least 232 gear and now people are going in there in like 178 or whatever gear and heirlooms that stop working and getting their asses kicked.

markot

Banned
I can totally see people snapping those level 80 greens. It's a total bitch to go into Hyjal in WOTLK blues and greens. That place was balanced around people having at least 232 gear and now people are going in there in like 178 or whatever gear and heirlooms that stop working and getting their asses kicked.

Another one of blizzes brilliant ideas.

I love that they are too scared to balance weapons so each xpac isnt a mega super boost....

Although I guess when you have no ideas to endgame but 'more powerrrrrrrrrrrrrr' then its bound to happen. Funnily enough that was exactly what they didnt want to do when the game launched, but the only way they could get people to do boring ass raid content was to give them big ass swords that could cleave mountains in two.

Funny that GW2 in many ways seems to be 'what wow was meant to be' when you look back at their old ideas.

Like nearly 9 months without a patch now? Srsly though, its just funny at this point. I wonder what percentage of wow revenue they actually spend on wow....

Rokam

Doing Vashj'ir on my rogue today was terrible. The eels at the beginning just fuck up your day. And the fact that I didn't get a weapon upgrade till quite a few quests in was infuriating. I was still using level 70 pvp daggers because nothing better comes from questing in Northrend. Wish they would have done the item squish to fix the issue.

I forget how hard that transition can be at times since I stomped through it with 264+ gear on my DK and didn't have much trouble with my Shaman either who was at least 232+ at that time.

Besides those, I think I've only taken 2 characters past the Wrath -> Cata border. I don't quite remember how I handled it either, their leveling being more spaced out and quite a long time ago for them as well.

Westlo

Can we keep the gw2 does this and this talk out of here until time shows it actually delivers?

Yep. The Cata 77-81 Greens is a hot market for the reason, plus twinks. I spent 500g on a spear for my 77 warrior which doubled my crit dmg... Money well spent compared to using some shitty blue from an early wrath instance.

Exact same thing will happen with MOP greens. You'll have some 84 greens on par with raid finder death wing weapons...

Entropia

No One Remembers
Can we keep the gw2 does this and this talk out of here until time shows it actually delivers?

Yep. The Cata 77-81 Greens is a hot market for the reason, plus twinks. I spent 500g on a spear for my 77 warrior which doubled my crit dmg... Money well spent compared to using some shitty blue from an early wrath instance.

Exact same thing will happen with MOP greens. You'll have some 84 greens on par with raid finder death wing weapons...

Most quest rewards are like 378 to start out iirc and then you move up to 384, etc.

I have a chest that dropped from Stormstout that's like 425. :\

But also, yeah twinking at like 78-79 is amazingly fun if you get those Cata BoEs.

Ultratech

Yeah, I remember having trouble at Hyjal at the start with my Hunter since the enemies get a huge boost in HP and my gear was Lv70 PvP along with some Blues/Greens I got from questing.
(Funny enough, I didn't do any dungeons from 70-80 on my Hunter; such a bad idea in retrospect, but I didn't mind.)

Sucks harder since you don't get a weapon upgrade until a few quests in, though you can get a nice 2H sword quickly for any Warrior/DK/Pally. I guess it isn't all that bad due to the fact you can get the NPCs to help you kill stuff.

OH SNAP.
4JXSf.jpg

Man you gotta get that money up! Here's some tips you can do in less than 5 mins every time you log on, level 77-79 twink gear!

I bought the beast version of this

http://www.wowhead.com/item=55463

for 30g and flipped it for 700g this morning. It's better than any of the weapons from Trial of the Crusader the second last raid for Wrath and can be used by a Level 79 in the 75-79 PVP bracket...

Another item.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=55260#comments

I bought one for my own warrior for 300g, not as a twink just as something to help leveling... I bought one this morning for 90g and put it up on the AH for 999g, sold 40 mins ago. Just put in 77-79 as your fields and search for 2h swords, axes, maces etc.. anything under 150g that is good like beast, out it back up for 500-700. Edit - Make sure it's the Cata greens that are like Item Level 270+, lol @ some people putting the old Ilevel 170 stuff up for 400g.

Also look up Thunderbluff/Ironforge vendor runs. It works even though copper rods haven't been selling period for me the last 5 days... was one of my best selling items along with the Thunderbluff pet...
Thanks for the tips, man!

Wanna hear a sad story? Was cleaning out the bank on my first toon; found Ruby Shades. Threw it up on the AH and Auctioneer set it at around 9000g. I figured it was a mistake and it would never sell for that much so I removed a number and put it up for 900g. Sold immediately and now I'm wondering if it would have sold for 9000g...

edit: release date yeahhhhhhh!

idlewild_

Thanks for the tips, man!

Wanna hear a sad story? Was cleaning out the bank on my first toon; found Ruby Shades. Threw it up on the AH and Auctioneer set it at around 9000g. I figured it was a mistake and it would never sell for that much so I removed a number and put it up for 900g. Sold immediately and now I'm wondering if it would have sold for 9000g...

I see them up for ~5k every now and again on my server. They might not be worth 9k, but they're probably worth several times what you sold them for :(

ampere

Woo excited for September!

It's nice that we get another character slot, but I really was hoping for 5 or more. I like being able to mess around with a class at low level and then delete it when I get bored, but I also want to have 1 of each class (have em all except warlock atm). If I did RAF with a friend of mine I would probably have to delete an 85

Interesting trivia:

The release is 5 years to the day that Halo 3 released.

And I'm considering just getting the regular version (retail probably, I like having boxes for Blizzard stuff) as the bonuses don't seem that great this time.

I'll probably end up caving and just getting the retail CE on launch day though. Hardly had any trouble getting one for Cata when I walked into a Best Buy early even without a pre-order.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
If anyone else ends up needing a rez scroll, feel free to PM me.

Loxley

Got my CE pre-ordered. I get them for the art books and the OST's, which in my mind are worth the extra price alone, everything else included is just icing on the cake. I've been avoiding WoW for a few weeks lately so I don't fatigue myself before Mists comes 'round...because I know I'm going to binge pretty hardcore come the 25th.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People who want to rape 75-79 battlegrounds with a weapon that's better than 99% of the Level 80 2 handers from Wrath? Take a Wrath quest geared character into that bracket, you explode period.

It has nothing to do with how good they are, and more the fact that greens are super common.

Kind of frustrated right now - I spent my lunch break questing for some xmog hunter shoulders. I wanted the Ethical Epaulettes because I love the design and red matches the theme I've got going for him.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=37008/ethical-epaulettes

Red, right? When I got them, they are showing up as metal colored and no red whatsoever. So next I went for the Magdun Spaulders which are also supposed to be red, but they ended up being the same exact model as the first ones.

Do game updates sometimes change the color of gear? Why would all WoW sites be wrong about the color? Any suggestions for me to seek out actual red shoulders like this?

Westlo

It has nothing to do with how good they are, and more the fact that greens are super common.

Wow you're just clueless, use your head and check the stats. With 79 Cata greens you're
At Icc I levels as a 79.

If you offered a 84 twink death wings 2h you think they would balk at 700g? Fuck outta here.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Wow you're just clueless, use your head and check the stats. With 79 Cata greens you're
At Icc I levels as a 79.

If you offered a 84 twink death wings 2h you think they would balk at 700g? Fuck outta here.
Sure, Angry Grimace doesn't know how much better expansion greens are to obsolete raid gear...

Supply vs demand. Current tier raid gear is rare and very expensive. Greens are common. Doesn't matter if the upgrade percent is the same for the low level and high level toon.

The person who paid 700g is dumb. It was 30g for a reason and there will be more like it listed for 30g.

I forget how hard that transition can be at times since I stomped through it with 264+ gear on my DK and didn't have much trouble with my Shaman either who was at least 232+ at that time.

Besides those, I think I've only taken 2 characters past the Wrath -> Cata border. I don't quite remember how I handled it either, their leveling being more spaced out and quite a long time ago for them as well.

It really isn't that hard if people just do the initial quests wisely. They always begin entry zones with basic quests that are either find x or kill y but with help from NPCs. For instnace, n Hyjal, you start out with quests to find some seeds and to kill the enemies that the NPCs are fighting. Just use those NPCs to hold aggro while you take out low health enemies and get credit for it. Once you do all the quests you can like that along with any item finding quests, you should have enough gear to get started questing on your own. I've already done it 5 times with 3 different characters.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
It really isn't that hard if people just do the initial quests wisely. They always begin entry zones with basic quests that are either find x or kill y but with help from NPCs. For instnace, n Hyjal, you start out with quests to find some seeds and to kill the enemies that the NPCs are fighting. Just use those NPCs to hold aggro while you take out low health enemies and get credit for it. Once you do all the quests you can like that along with any item finding quests, you should have enough gear to get started questing on your own. I've already done it 5 times with 3 different characters.

Yeah, I have like 8 85's. The starting zones in each expansion deck you out fast.

Ultratech

Kind of frustrated right now - I spent my lunch break questing for some xmog hunter shoulders. I wanted the Ethical Epaulettes because I love the design and red matches the theme I've got going for him.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=37008/ethical-epaulettes

Red, right? When I got them, they are showing up as metal colored and no red whatsoever. So next I went for the Magdun Spaulders which are also supposed to be red, but they ended up being the same exact model as the first ones.

Do game updates sometimes change the color of gear? Why would all WoW sites be wrong about the color? Any suggestions for me to seek out actual red shoulders like this?

Hmm...here's what I found regarding the shoulders on Wowhead:
Regarding the shoulders, they do use the Northrend B2 artwork, but it gets a bit complicated:
The model for the shoulders that use this artwork is currently bugged. No matter what colour they're set to they only appear in the plain (silvery) brown ("default") colour. There are many sets of shoulders in the game that use this model, and some of their user-submitted screenshots show them in their proper colours, meaning they didn't always have the bugged appearance. Information has been sent to QA and hopefully they'll fix it at some stage. The correct appearance for the blue shoulders is shown in the user-submitted screenshot for Wub's Electrospike Spaulders.

You could download Mogit and see what shoulders you like. I've been having fun playing with it to make Transmog sets.

Fjordson

That digital CE is really tempting but...I don't think I can go in for that extra $20 for just a mount and a pet. Wish they had included a high quality download of the full soundtrack, might have pushed me over the edge.

Just sticking with the $40 edition I think.

Hmm...here's what I found regarding the shoulders on Wowhead:

You could download Mogit and see what shoulders you like. I've been having fun playing with it to make Transmog sets.

Damn, nice research skills. I wasn't able to find anything but I was just looking at the red variants. Trying out Mogit in about two minutes :)

Angry Grimace

Asked this in the release date thread but with no reply. Is there a raiding Gaf guild (or plans for one for MoP)?
I had suggested we do a MOP Raiding guild, but someone kinda jumped the gun and scuttled the idea by making one in the doldrums of 4.3 when nobody was playing.

I had suggested we do a MOP Raiding guild, but someone kinda jumped the gun and scuttled the idea by making one in the doldrums of 4.3 when nobody was playing.

Doesn't mean we can't work it out and reform.

Just that we're probably restricted to Horde (based off the people who frequent this thread - it's at least 60-40 if not more in favor of Horde) and don't have enough people to support guilds on both factions.

Angry Grimace

Doesn't mean we can't work it out and reform.

Just that we're probably restricted to Horde (based off the people who frequent this thread - it's at least 60-40 if not more in favor of Horde) and don't have enough people to support guilds on both factions.
There's way more players that don't frequent the thread. You'd want to make it in the official MOP thread in Gaming, I'd think.

Fjordson

Just got levitate on my priest. This is way cooler than I remember it being. I'm pretty sure it used to be your character still running just floating a few feet off the ground. Now you just glide =D

Westlo

Sure, Angry Grimace doesn't know how much better expansion greens are to obsolete raid gear...

Supply vs demand. Current tier raid gear is rare and very expensive. Greens are common. Doesn't matter if the upgrade percent is the same for the low level and high level toon.

The person who paid 700g is dumb. It was 30g for a reason and there will be more like it listed for 30g.

Listed by clueless people, Cata Greens is a massive market for goldmaking. This stuff sells regularly and at high prices. The only stupid person was the guy who listed it for 30g when it probably vendored for 25-27. But by all means please list stuff like this for 30g next expansion......

Bronzed Greatsword
Binds when equipped
Two-Hand Sword
4128 - 6193 Damage Speed 3.50
(1474.3 damage per second)
<Random enchantment>
Requires Level 84
Item Level 377

Vs

Gurthalak, Voice of the Deeps
Heroic
Binds when picked up
Two-Hand Sword
3053 - 4580 Damage Speed 3.60
(1060.2 damage per second)
+581 Strength
+871 Stamina
Durability 120 / 120
Requires Level 85
Item Level 416

lol @ listing a 79 cata 2h weapon for 30g on Frostmourne. Money is so easy to make these days and twinks have always payed top dollar for BIS items. People aren't typing shit like

This is my (very late) shopping list for Cata greens that do not have a blue equivalent in BRC or Throne of Tides. These easily bring 500g each on my medium population server, and I've totaled about a quarter million in sales the past 60 days. Note that the leather/mail i only pick up agility and the plate I only pick up strength. The reason for that is is that many intel users downgrade to the blue cloth found in the above instances. Also many hunters downgrade to leather for things like [Caridean Epaulettes].

on numerous gold forums/blogs for shit and giggles, it works. If you're smart you'll start stockpiling leather cata greens for monks to buy as soon as they hit 77, majority of monks will obviously be alts so people who have money... and will want to blow through end of Northrend/Cata ASAP. Blowing a couple grand to mow through things twice as fast is money well spent...

Edit - Just sold a mage a 78 spell dagger for 200, he upped his spell dmg by 600 alone on that lol.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
It's only been the 4th time in 5 years, but please show me more bolded wall of text comparisons of common greens that are better than obsolete raid gear.

As far as making a few hundred gold flipping BIS versions, that's rare, few and far between, and a niche market. People leveling wanting to do dungeons are going to go for the cheap greens that boost the ilvl and are only worth the DE mats.

But if you have fun sitting in front of the AH all day, whatever, if I was going to come back in MOP it would be doing the ore shuffle making 300/k a month barely spending any time on the AH. I re-listed every 8 hours with an undercut addon and bought cheap ore. Boom, done, fuck auction houses.

Top Bottom