• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

yeah. you just have to be patient. but now that a lot of the cheeves can be done solo and many people already have it done, getting a full random group of 5 is kind of tough on my smaller server.

i still want the ironbound one. just need to finish glory of the ulduar raider 25. what's frustrating is i've had all but the two remaining requirements finished since forever ago. I think the last one i did was the saronite in the morning one on 10/7/10. but it was bad timing because my guild basically fell apart and stopped raiding. And i've never been able to find a pug doing it when i had the time available to do it lol. going on almost two years now :p

EDIT: So what is the reasoning for the removal of the black and plagued proto-drakes now? it's like every time blizzard says they want one thing to be special, they make something else completely available for everyone. really doesn't make sense to me. with the direction they're going with mounts, I'd prefer they just make all of the older raid drops to drop again if people are willing to go back and do them.

I still have my last 25 man achievement to do on lich king. Can never find a group to do it. I want that mount so bad.

TheYanger

It's only been the 4th time in 5 years, but please show me more bolded wall of text comparisons of common greens that are better than obsolete raid gear.

As far as making a few hundred gold flipping BIS versions, that's rare, few and far between, and a niche market. People leveling wanting to do dungeons are going to go for the cheap greens that boost the ilvl and are only worth the DE mats.

But if you have fun sitting in front of the AH all day, whatever, if I was going to come back in MOP it would be doing the ore shuffle making 300/k a month barely spending any time on the AH. I re-listed every 8 hours with an undercut addon and bought cheap ore. Boom, done, fuck auction houses.

Wow someone hit a nerve =O

I don't think anyone was insinuating it's a good plan to sit at the AH hoping to flip greens, but they're definitely items that you should have in your AH scanner, that's all. People undervalue them easily.

Enosh

Listed by clueless people, Cata Greens is a massive market for goldmaking. This stuff sells regularly and at high prices. The only stupid person was the guy who listed it for 30g when it probably vendored for 25-27. But by all means please list stuff like this for 30g next expansion......
I agree that selling 80 or even better 79 cata greens can make quite some gold but the comparison you gave is rather bad since all weapons will get an increase in base dps in MoP ^^

Gurthalak, Voice of the Deeps
Heroic
Binds when picked up
Two-Hand Sword
6106 - 9160 Damage Speed 3.60
(2120.3 damage per second)

this is the MoP version

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My earlier point was that I can't really see making 800g per green not because they aren't better in certain PvP brackets, but because greens are super common and in high supply.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
My earlier point was that I can't really see making 800g per green not because they aren't better in certain PvP brackets, but because greens are super common and in high supply.
That was the core of my argument, but apparently the Yanger thinks I got my jimmies rustled.

No, telling someone with 5k gold to make money by flipping BIS greens is niche as hell. He needs real income. All the other greens are very close in ilvl,very common,and have similar specs. You need a serious 79 pvper on your server willing to shell out 700g+ per BIS slot, and they need to not have something as good already.

Nitsuj23

That was the core of my argument, but apparently the Yanger thinks I got my jimmies rustled.

No, telling someone with 5k gold to make money by flipping BIS greens is niche as hell. He needs real income. All the other greens are very close in ilvl,very common,and have similar specs. You need a serious 79 pvper on your server willing to shell out 700g+ per BIS slot, and they need to not have something as good already.

What is real income in WoW nowadays? I'm planning on returning just before the MoP launch to get reacclimated.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I still have Rez scrolls available, but I just realized I didn't mention that I'm US in my previous post.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
What is real income in WoW nowadays? I'm planning on returning just before the MoP launch to get reacclimated.

Alch/JC/(+encahnting when you get around to it) is the only no bull shit way. Inscritiption has too many glyphs and recipes to deal with, the other crafting professions suck/pale in comparison, flipping is just waiting around for someone to put somethig on the AH and taking advantage of stupid people.

You buy your cheap ore, do your voodoo, and not think about it for hours You can make 200+k a month and not have to live on the AH like some people choose/like to do.

I hate auction houses, just my opinion.

But with the black market AH coming, I guess people are going to figure out every single trick in the book and level up multiple jewelcrafters and have like 8 scribes to maximize patterns. Who knows.

Wish there was a faster way to boost hydraxian waterlord rep... I'm halfway through revered and it feels like I've been stuck there forever lol. It's strange going through Molten Core. The place is awesome, despite the fact that it's the same mobs and look everywhere and has been around since vanilla. i guess it just takes a really awesome theme to make a place work. i ran it in vanilla and loved it, and i still love going through it now after all these years.

On a side note, what do books of glyph mastery sell for on other servers? I love when they drop on thunderlord, because they go anywhere from 500-900 gold. It's my favorite random thing to see drop when i'm going through pit of saron and forge of souls. I also just sold a pattern for the red lumberjack shirt for 500g and I'm wondering if I should have put it up for more. You just never know what people will be interested in spending ridiculous amounts of money for.

EDIT: oops. guess it was a pretty rare world drop. boo.

2nd EDIT: Found a really, really useful site for pricing auction house items. It may be well known, but I'd never heard of it (wow.allakhazam.com no longer compares AH listings): http://www.wowuse.com/

Anyone? :/
There is no way it's available already. The beta is still ongoing as far as I know. I wouldn't expect the pre-download to be available until early September or late August at the very earliest.
Presales for the standard digital and Digital Deluxe versions of Mists of Pandaria are now live. Players who would like to purchase either version and be ready to play the moment the expansion launches can do so now by visiting www.WorldofWarcraft.com. The expansion content will automatically be digitally delivered to pre-purchasers via World of Warcraft’s streaming launcher prior to the release of Mists of Pandaria. Players who would like to preorder the standard box or the retail-exclusive Collector’s Edition can do so by visiting their local retailer.
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?id=6761683

Nugg

There is no way it's available already. The beta is still ongoing as far as I know. I wouldn't expect the pre-download to be available until early September or late August at the very earliest.

For Diablo 3, the pre download was available as soon as the release date was annouced, two months before release. It was no big deal, you just had to patch on release day.

For Diablo 3, the pre download was available as soon as the release date was annouced, two months before release. It was no big deal, you just had to patch on release day.
I probably shouldn't have spoken since I'm not familiar with release dates. I was assuming that it wouldn't be out for a while and will probably be terribly wrong lol. Sorry, Sazzy.

The Undermine Journal is the best site I've found for checking AH prices.

Also, Diablo 3 was pretty much already done, and had been for months before they announced the release date. Mists is fairly close to being finished, but they're still working on a good portion of it. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least chunks of it going up for pre-download though.

The Undermine Journal is the best site I've found for checking AH prices.

Also, Diablo 3 was pretty much already done, and had been for months before they announced the release date. Mists is fairly close to being finished, but they're still working on a good portion of it. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least chunks of it going up for pre-download though.
I just spent the last 15 minutes checking out that site. It's pretty cool. I'm just disappointed that i wasn't listed as one of the busy sellers. I feel like I've been super active over the last month on the AH.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I think I'm going to cry.

cJhUM.jpg

I think I'm going to cry.

Grats!

One of the coolest mounts in the past few years.

In other news:

Was reading the patch notes more closely and there's a pretty significant nerf to DK tanks, with the blood shield mastery only preventing physical damage, rather than all damage. May or may not have a major effect on balance, and possibly deserved, but it seems pretty big just reading it. In practice, it may not matter much, but on paper it's huge.

Enosh

In other news:

Was reading the patch notes more closely and there's a pretty significant nerf to DK tanks, with the blood shield mastery only preventing physical damage, rather than all damage. May or may not have a major effect on balance, and possibly deserved, but it seems pretty big just reading it. In practice, it may not matter much, but on paper it's huge.
I asked about this on the MMO champion DK forums and apparently this is just a tooltip change since it always absorbed physical dmg only

my main is a DK, but I never bothered with blood beyond soloing some stuff, so never looked into the finer details of the tree before

Huh, guess I never paid close enough attention (at least to remember after not having played in a good while.)

Caught me off guard since it didn't read as if it was just a tooltip change. Wouldn't have even mentioned it if it was clearer.

Tarazet

I started playing WoW for the first time (!) about a month ago as a Balance Druid. I've worked my way up to 63 entirely through questing, mostly getting carried by my partner on a Priest. He's been playing since vanilla WoW and knows the game backwards and forwards. Now that I've heard about Symbiosis I'm feeling like I inadvertently made the right choice. I just chose it for the flexibility.. being able to pop out of form and cast a HoT on myself or get into stealth to hide from passing mobs, or turn into a bat and fly around, with one button press even while in Moonkin form - that is awesome.

Problem I'm having is Blizzard apparently forgot that Druids could be anything other than ferals for the Burning Crusade expansion. If a quest drops gear with Intellect on it, it's usually cloth. It's annoying to give up what little durability I had just to get the right itemization.

Dresden

Symbiosis is kinda bullshit and it's going to be a nightmare to balance . . . what were they thinking?

Also thanks for Wrath, devs. My retadin is going to enjoy that one.

TheYanger

I started playing WoW for the first time (!) about a month ago as a Balance Druid. I've worked my way up to 63 entirely through questing, mostly getting carried by my partner on a Priest. He's been playing since vanilla WoW and knows the game backwards and forwards. Now that I've heard about Symbiosis I'm feeling like I inadvertently made the right choice. I just chose it for the flexibility.. being able to pop out of form and cast a HoT on myself or get into stealth to hide from passing mobs, or turn into a bat and fly around, with one button press even while in Moonkin form - that is awesome.

Problem I'm having is Blizzard apparently forgot that Druids could be anything other than ferals for the Burning Crusade expansion. If a quest drops gear with Intellect on it, it's usually cloth. It's annoying to give up what little durability I had just to get the right itemization.

It gets a lot better in Wrath. Vanilla quest rewards were WAAAAY worse, but it got redone for Cata. BC has never been redone, and balance was not a viable spec at the time so they didn't really care. Just use the cloth, you'll get through it (the armor difference isn't that big). Once you get to WOTLK it'll be fine and dandy the rest of the way, well itemized gear for all specs.

I think Symbiosis is super cool. Unless you're hyper competetive it's not really going to create balance issues (It isn't really a dps gain for anyone but a dk to 'gain' it in their dps spec, and that's like, a single attack every 3 minutes. Feral druids shattering is very good, but hardly game breaking). I'd wager unless the druid themselves need a specific ability, it'll justgo to the tanks most of the time for another cooldown.

ampere

Symbiosis looks more ridiculous in PvP than PvE to me. Like yanger is saying probably tanks would want it, maybe a holy paladin if you needed a 3rd battle res, but feral druids getting divine shield in PvP.... goddamn lol.

Loxley

Yeah, that's because at the time Balance Druids weren't really that viable. Hell Blizzard just started to acknowledge the existence of Ret Paladins in TBC. But Balance Druids get a lot more love in the WotLK content :) The quest rewards in general get way better from 70 and up.

*edit - Yeah, what TheYanger said.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
This may have been mentioned earlier in this post, but as I don't want to dig through over eleven thousand posts I'll just take the opportunity to bring it up (again). Anyway, I see now and then heavily compressed JPG screenshots and wanted to recommend changing the default settings.

I'm not sure about the US client, but at least in the EU client, config.wtf is by default set to take screenshots in very low JPG quality. The parameter isn't there by default, so you have to add it manually. This is taken from the current setting I use on the PTR servers (partial only):

SET gxApi "D3D11"
SET gxWindow "1"
SET gxResolution "320x240"
SET widescreen "0"
SET gxMaximize "0"
SET gxRefresh setting "75/9000"
SET Sound_MusicVolume "0.40000000596046"
SET Sound_AmbienceVolume "0.60000002384186"
SET farclip "100"
SET nearclip "1"
SET particleDensity "1"
SET rippleDetail "0"
SET reflectionMode "0"
SET environmentDetail "0"
SET shadowTextureSize "0"
SET shadowMode "0"
SET SSAOBlur "0"
SET textureFilteringMode "0"
SET terrainLodDist "100"
SET wmoLodDist "100"
SET Gamma "1.000000"
SET terrainTextureLod "50"
SET terrainMipLevel "0"
SET worldBaseMip "0"
SET weatherDensity "0"
SET movieSubtitle "1"
SET screenshotFormat "tga"
SET screenshotQuality "10"
The bold lines you have to add by yourself, though only screenshotFormat is necessary if you want to take screenshots in another file format. Quality can be adjusted between 1 (lowest quality) and 10 (highest quality). This applies to JPG as well, and I think 1 is set as default. Also, I don't play in 320x240 resolution, I was just testing some things and that's why it's set to that.

JPG, PNG and TGA are formats officially supported. Blizzard uses TGA, as can be seen in the press kits they supply here. PSD and GIF are not supported, I don't know about other formats though. This may seem trivial, but changing this will result in much better screenshots. I recommend the above settings, but JPG with quality 10 is fine as well.

Here's an example screenshot (converted from TGA to PGN) from the 5.0.4 PTR:

Cipherr

Im sort of enjoying the disc priest alt I started. First time playing a healer in the game, and I started back in beta. Long time coming.

I did a little research before starting the priest and decided that even though I leaned towards grid, that I would go with VuhDo instead since people kept praising its customization. After a few days learning it, watching instruction videos and setting it up, I fucking love it. Its incredible.

Because of the local VuhDo specific keybinds, I can have a full set of hotkeys/mousekeys that cast certain spells when I mouse over a party member in the vuhdo frame, yet those same keys can have seperate standard keybinds when Im not mousing over a party frame. It just blows my mind and adds so much flexibility. I can have nearly every mildly useful skill bound.

The only problem is I have a completely full set of heirlooms (duh) and healing these instance runs is boring as shit. Shield tank, afk until it expires and then I put a new one on. Its only mildly exciting if the group is horrible and people that shouldnt be pulling are pulling. At least that gives me something to heal. Its incredibly dull. Hoping it gets more active and more fun at higher levels. Im only like 26 atm.

ampere

Im sort of enjoying the disc priest alt I started. First time playing a healer in the game, and I started back in beta. Long time coming.

I did a little research before starting the priest and decided that even though I leaned towards grid, that I would go with VuhDo instead since people kept praising its customization. After a few days learning it, watching instruction videos and setting it up, I fucking love it. Its incredible.

Because of the local VuhDo specific keybinds, I can have a full set of hotkeys/mousekeys that cast certain spells when I mouse over a party member in the vuhdo frame, yet those same keys can have seperate standard keybinds when Im not mousing over a party frame. It just blows my mind and adds so much flexibility. I can have nearly every mildly useful skill bound.

The only problem is I have a completely full set of heirlooms (duh) and healing these instance runs is boring as shit. Shield tank, afk until it expires and then I put a new one on. Its only mildly exciting if the group is horrible and people that shouldnt be pulling are pulling. At least that gives me something to heal. Its incredibly dull. Hoping it gets more active and more fun at higher levels. Im only like 26 atm.

Disc is probably the most powerful healer at low levels because of shielding, but yeah things will get more interesting at higher levels. When you get that druid in int gear queuing as a tank that can be interesting

scoobs

Symbiosis is kinda bullshit and it's going to be a nightmare to balance . . . what were they thinking?

Also thanks for Wrath, devs. My retadin is going to enjoy that one.

THIS. Some classes get boned with symbiosis, and others get the best fucking shit in the game. no fair.

Fjordson

Right on mate! I'm leveling up a disc priest for Mists. Decided to ditch the hunter after playing him for three years.

Disc priest is so much fun. Crazy survivability in low level BG's. I have full heirlooms (cloth set, staff, trinkets, cloak) so I'm pretty geared and I just play Warsong/AB all day :lol up to level 36 atm.

Though this is also my first healer, so I'm learning how shitty it is when a good horde team knows to focus me down. Couple Blood Elf rogues with their interrupts and racial silence jump me and I'm toast.

Gvaz

Banned
Rösti;40376071 said:
This may have been mentioned earlier in this post, but as I don't want to dig through over eleven thousand posts I'll just take the opportunity to bring it up (again). Anyway, I see now and then heavily compressed JPG screenshots and wanted to recommend changing the default settings.

I'm not sure about the US client, but at least in the EU client, config.wtf is by default set to take screenshots in very low JPG quality. The parameter isn't there by default, so you have to add it manually. This is taken from the current setting I use on the PTR servers (partial only):

The bold lines you have to add by yourself, though only screenshotFormat is necessary if you want to take screenshots in another file format. Quality can be adjusted between 1 (lowest quality) and 10 (highest quality). This applies to JPG as well, and I think 1 is set as default. Also, I don't play in 320x240 resolution, I was just testing some things and that's why it's set to that.

JPG, PNG and TGA are formats officially supported. Blizzard uses TGA, as can be seen in the press kits they supply here. PSD and GIF are not supported, I don't know about other formats though. This may seem trivial, but changing this will result in much better screenshots. I recommend the above settings, but JPG with quality 10 is fine as well.

Here's an example screenshot (converted from TGA to PGN) from the 5.0.4 PTR:
No AA like in your shot is more offensive than shitty compression from saving or uploading to places like photobucket or imgur.

Voidguts

Some classes get boned with symbiosis, and others get the best fucking shit in the game. no fair.

yeah, uh.. I'm praying that they're going to re-balance symbiosis before MoP goes live. I mean.. giving rogues a taunt.. giving holy paladins a battle rez while my pitiful resto shaman will get PROWL? c'monnnnnnnn. it can't be final. r..right guys?

also - thanks, Rösti - the compression in my screenshots always bugged me, didn't know you could do png/tga.

Dresden

A lot of the symbiosis shit is going to be far more useful in pvp... druids with bubble, ice block, cloak, dispersion, mass dispel, purge?

Although at this point looking for anything out of WoW pvp is a foolish wish.

markot

Banned
Blizz is circling the drain. Beta access turned me off MOP more than anything. The whole new skill system is fucked, took a page out of D3 and its the main 'problem' with the game for alot of people.

Top Bottom