• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The Panda start zone is going to be crazy at release, specially since its free to all subscribers, whether you buy MoP or not.

Well, I doubt that's going to be a significant part of the playerbase anyway. I don't see there being a large chunk of folks interested enough in pandarens to actually start playing one, yet don't want to buy the xpac itself.

I'm still riding high off of doing my mists upgrade for free over the weekend thanks to a Diablo3 RMAH sale into my b.net account. Sold a weapon for $75, got mists and have enough left over to get Heart of the Swarm when it comes out for like 10 bucks after tax.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Well, I doubt that's going to be a significant part of the playerbase anyway. I don't see there being a large chunk of folks interested enough in pandarens to actually start playing one, yet don't want to buy the xpac itself.

I'm still riding high off of doing my mists upgrade for free over the weekend thanks to a Diablo3 RMAH sale into my b.net account. Sold a weapon for $75, got mists and have enough left over to get Heart of the Swarm when it comes out for like 10 bucks after tax.

Damn son, $75 for a Diablo item?!?!

I'd love to play D3 very minimally with the sole purpose to sell items so I can get MoP for "free", and transfer toons around.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah, the best part is I don't even play much. I got the item I sold on the first day after the latest big patch that made legendary weapons not absolute dogshit, and used it on of my characters for a few days before getting bored of D3 again. I actually forgot about it for a week or so then remembered "HEY WAIT I CAN TURN THIS INTO FREE STUFF" and it worked.

Okay. Fuck cross-realm. Officially not a fan.

Can't even kill daily bosses on my lunch break anymore. And there's constantly about 5 dudes camping TLPD every single minute of every day.

No exciting world PvP so far, just game-ruining bullshit.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Can't even kill daily bosses on my lunch break anymore. And there's constantly about 5 dudes camping TLPD every single minute of every day.

Is the difference that huge?

Anyway, welcome to a MMO actually looking alive instead of dead everywhere but SW and Org.

Is the difference that huge?

Anyway, welcome to a MMO actually looking alive instead of dead everywhere but SW and Org.
It's a night and day difference on my server. There are players everywhere now.

Quest bosses are merely corpses. Rare spawns are merely pipe dreams.

Bisnic

It's a night and day difference on my server. There are players everywhere now.

Quest bosses are merely corpses. Rare spawns are merely pipe dreams.

I suppose that by "everywhere", you mean high lvl zones like Tol Barad or Molten Front. I doubt places like Desolace or Hinterlands have any more activity than before. :p

Anoregon

Queue the former Everquest players and the "YOU THINK YOU KNOW PAIN?" trope.

I suppose that by "everywhere", you mean high lvl zones like Tol Barad or Molten Front. I doubt places like Desolace or Hinterlands have any more activity than before. :p

Well, even Silverpine Forest was full of players last night and today there are a ton of people in Northrend doing Argent dailies and camping TLPD.

If anything needed a population boost on my server it would be the AH economy. But that's not being affected by cross-realm. I've been trying to think of a benefit to the system and all I can think of is role players having a more alive world to role play in.

edit: and of course the cross-realm bugs are awesome too

r7Jm2.png

Well, even Silverpine Forest was full of players last night and today there are a ton of people in Northrend doing Argent dailies and camping TLPD.

If anything needed a population boost on my server it would be the AH economy. But that's not being affected by cross-realm. I've been trying to think of a benefit to the system and all I can think of is role players having a more alive world to role play in.

Yeah, it's shitty to think that people can run off with that stuff then run back to their own servers and your server gets shafted on the economy aspect. The other stuff... I just kinda look at that as being spoiled that you had everything to yourself before. Like Bisnic said, "Welcome to a MMO actually looking alive instead of dead everywhere but SW and Org.". *chuckles*

mclem

Or you could do a full clear on normal with alts and do achievements and do all heroics with mains, account wide remember :)

I don't do alts, that'll make things tricky.

Thanks for the tips on those two fights, though, I think that opens up more options for us.

Yeah, it's shitty to think that people can run off with that stuff then run back to their own servers and your server gets shafted on the economy aspect. The other stuff... I just kinda look at that as being spoiled that you had everything to yourself before. Like Bisnic said, "Welcome to a MMO actually looking alive instead of dead everywhere but SW and Org.". *chuckles*

Yeah, I understand that it's the way an MMO is supposed to be, but the industry vets at Blizzard need to take a step back from their rose-tinted Everquest days of olde memories and think about what's actually more fun.

If I am supposed to kill Chillmaw every day for weeks to finish my Argent stuff then I need to actually be able to kill him when I have the time to spare, instead of sitting around wasting that spare time for him to spawn again.

Dresden

Yeah, I understand that it's the way an MMO is supposed to be, but the industry vets at Blizzard need to take a step back from their rose-tinted Everquest days of olde memories and think about what's actually more fun.

If I am supposed to kill Chillmaw every day for weeks to finish my Argent stuff then I need to actually be able to kill him when I have the time to spare, instead of sitting around wasting that spare time for him to spawn again.

Hey, folks had to deal with that too when the content was actually current.

I think most people would take having to wait a bit in return for some actual life returning to the servers. One of the bigger knocks against this expansion was that people never left the cities, anyways.

Bisnic

It was like this back when lvl 80 was the max lvl. Know what we did back then? We invited people in a group. I'm pretty sure you can do that with cross-realm people.

Zones being a ghost town sucks. I'm playing a MMO here, not a single player RPG.

Fair enough, I get what you guys are saying. And I have been grouping with people when possible, but again, it's time consuming.

Last week I had a very manageable set of dailies I was completing on my lunch break, and today after CR implementation I do not have time for them and it feels like I've bit off more than I can chew in one lunch break.

I guess CR would be awesome if I didn't have a full time job and a social life, but as it stands now it's just caused headaches to the limited amount of play time I have each day.

So I've never been a healer before, because in RPGs I've always gravitated toward damage-dealing classes. I was bored and decided to respec my Shadow Priest to Discipline, and my first impression is that the amount of heal spells is... overwhelming. I've been watching videos and reading guides, so I'm starting to get an idea of when to cast which spells, but I still have a lot to learn. I play BGs and I've found myself mainly casting PW:S, Renew, PoM, Dispel, and Penace. I use Flash Heal when my teammates are getting whooped on, and Heal when they have ~75% HP and aren't taking too much damage, and Greater Heal in the same situation but with ~50% HP. I know Binding Heal is great but I don't think I've casted it once yet, lol.

One little thing that irks me is that Druids and Paladins get more honor than me because they heal more; the game does not take into account the damage that I'm shielding everyone from, which is even better IMO. Prevention is better than cure heals!

Rokal

People complaining about cross-realm zones are crazy. This is what zones are supposed be like, and would have been like if Blizzard was ever willing to do server merges.

Sure I had some mob competition when leveling my mage in HFP this past week. So what? It isn't a single player game, I welcome the sight of other players. I might have finished HFP 10 minutes faster if I didn't have mob competition during some of the quests but that's a small price to pay for the game actually feeling like a shared world again.

If you are looking for a game where other players never impact you or what you are doing, you're probably in the wrong genre.

Rokam

I can't wait till the complains on the WoW forums start rolling in about getting ganked more often due to the cross realm feature.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

No exciting world PvP so far, just game-ruining bullshit.

It's like this but there's actually way more people camping TLPD. I don't have Cross-Realm on Kel'thuzad so I can't say whether there's any exciting PvP to be had. I'm willing to trade never getting that stupid dragon for zones full of people, myself.

And oh god, someone told me what happens in that awful sounding Jaina novel.
Jaina banging Kalec is pretty gross, but at least they didn't marry Jaina to Varian.

I can't wait till the complains on the WoW forums start rolling in about getting ganked more often due to the cross realm feature.

Ganking during pet battles. On PvP servers, I can just picture guys camping rare pet spawns ready to take someone out. Fish in a muthafunking bucket.

Irnbru

So I've never been a healer before, because in RPGs I've always gravitated toward damage-dealing classes. I was bored and decided to respec my Shadow Priest to Discipline, and my first impression is that the amount of heal spells is... overwhelming. I've been watching videos and reading guides, so I'm starting to get an idea of when to cast which spells, but I still have a lot to learn. I play BGs and I've found myself mainly casting PW:S, Renew, PoM, Dispel, and Penace. I use Flash Heal when my teammates are getting whooped on, and Heal when they have ~75% HP and aren't taking too much damage, and Greater Heal in the same situation but with ~50% HP. I know Binding Heal is great but I don't think I've casted it once yet, lol.

One little thing that irks me is that Druids and Paladins get more honor than me because they heal more; the game does not take into account the damage that I'm shielding everyone from, which is even better IMO. Prevention is better than cure heals!

As a priest you've got tons of tools at your disposal. Also if you ever dps, you do get healed from smite, holy fires. Its complex, but super super fun, I love healing bgs as disc

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The only thing they have left to do is make servers basically transparent so that you can guild with basically anyone. The problem is that its not really in their self-interest to do that since they make money on transfers.

Fjordson

I think most people would take having to wait a bit in return for some actual life returning to the servers. One of the bigger knocks against this expansion was that people never left the cities, anyways.
That's how I feel. I love the cross-realm stuff. Game feels much more alive.

Bisnic

I'm not sure how cross-realm zones works... but all i see in Elwynn Forest right now are people from 2 servers, my own server and Trollbane. I thought it would be more than that, unless depending on how dead a zone is, more servers will "merge" together.

aesop

I'm not sure how cross-realm zones works... but all i see in Elwynn Forest right now are people from 2 servers, my own server and Trollbane. I thought it would be more than that, unless depending on how dead a zone is, more servers will "merge" together.

What server are you on? All I was seeing was players from Trollbane as well. And holy shit were they annoying.

Fjordson

Hmm...I just realized that I actually haven't been seeing cross-realm players out and about. I'm guessing you see the server next to their name, just like in BG's right? I haven't come across that yet.

Weird. Zones have been pretty packed on my server. Even older ones like Grizzly Hills or STV. Guess everyone is logging on waiting for MoP or something, lol.

Touch

Questing like crazy the past couple of days. Became exalted with a random leveling guild. Pretty funny considering I'm not exalted with my guild on my main.

Ultratech

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Cross-Realms at the moment. Gonna make hunting rares down harder and more people camping rare mounts. Plus, the BUGS. So many bugs right now...

Oh and I did an awesome Ulduar 25-Man Meta-Achievement run off of OpenRaid about an hour ago.
Got me this sweet baby:

Something we found out was that when we got the full Meta-Achievements, the mount automatically gets added to your Mount/Pet list now.

djm

How much ganking have people experienced in cross-realms while leveling up 1 through 78 or so? I've always played on PVP servers since launch, so I don't mind the occasional asskicking as a high level passes through, but are there like roving death squads combing low level zones now?

Just curious as a friend and I plan on resubbing next weekend after a long hiatus and starting up new characters on a new realm. Still want to play on a pvp server, but if it's seriously hampering leveling, I might consider a normal server.

scoobs

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Cross-Realms at the moment. Gonna make hunting rares down harder and more people camping rare mounts. Plus, the BUGS. So many bugs right now...

Oh and I did an awesome Ulduar 25-Man Meta-Achievement run off of OpenRaid about an hour ago.
Got me this sweet baby:

Something we found out was that when we got the full Meta-Achievements, the mount automatically gets added to your Mount/Pet list now.

Ya ijust got the rusted proto and was waiting for the mail to show up... and it didn't so i checked my mount list and there it was

mount count: 122!

Tarazet

The Panda start zone is going to be crazy at release, specially since its free to all subscribers, whether you buy MoP or not.

Yeah.. if I roll a Monk, I'm going to have to do it in the Forsaken or Troll area or something where there won't be as much competition. But I'll probably be too busy getting my bear to 90.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yeah.. if I roll a Monk, I'm going to have to do it in the Forsaken or Troll area or something where there won't be as much competition. But I'll probably be too busy getting my bear to 90.

Panda Monk? Can you even exit the Panda zone? You can't with Worgen and Goblin for example.

Fjordson

Got me this sweet baby:

Congrats man! I love this mount. Got it back when Ulduar first came out and I'm still using it.

Angry Grimace

You usually don't see Cross-Realm players from more than 1 to 3 realms in my experience. It depends on the traffic. They don't send tons and tons of players to each realm. I was getting nothing but people from Cairne today, and Lightbringer a few days ago.

Angry Grimace

You guys are really overestimating the pressure on zones at launch. The cross-realm system doesn't just haphazardly fill up zones to beyond their carrying capacity; they combine players in zones that are legitimately empty so that when you're leveling in Storm Peaks, Badlands or Hellfire Peninsula, there's actually a few guys around to PvP with or talk to.

There's absolutely no reason to be worried about rolling a Pandaren Monk if you want a Pandaren based on fear that overcrowding in the 2-3 hour starting zone will hinder your ability to play the game.

strafer

Remember when you had to feed your pet, level it, loyalty level, arrows, bullets?

Hunters are so easy these days.

That was one of the reasons I didn't roll a Hunter back in the day, too much management.

Remember when you had to feed your pet, level it, loyalty level, arrows, bullets?

Hunters are so easy these days.

That was one of the reasons I didn't roll a Hunter back in the day, too much management.

Yep. I only played my Hunter about once since the change to focus from mana. I'm not even sure what it would be like playing/leveling one now. But I decided that I don't really like pet classes, so it's unlikely that I'll play one again (at least in any manner of seriousness) unless I run out of other things to do.

JCizzle

Doesn't cross realm also mean the game will automatically split up the starting Panda zone into multiple 'instances' to lessen the player load? I was under the impression that it will combine OR split as needed depending on the situation (ie under or over populated).

Top Bottom