• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Sethos

Banned
WoW's economy is insane, broken.
4 pieces of Medium Leather cost 39G on EU-Twisting Nether (Horde, don't know 'bout how things are on Alliance side).
Noobs cannot afford that, experienced players don't need it (or if they do, very little). Since there is no need, the price should be low. But no, WoW's insane system means inflation is insane.
So. Where the hell am i going to get 4 pieces of Medium Leather? Guild has a lot of people but they don't talk nor do they listen (a random guild that invited me, accepted for the perks).
I'm not very keen on the idea of waiting in Orgrimmar trying to WTB them from trade chat. Going to take a long while.

EDIT oh, there's a NPC that sells it. Hmm. Let's try that then.

That's how a player controlled economy works. The point is, it works the other way too.

Pick up some professions and start putting stuff on AH, you'll also make a lot more money to buy this stuff. Ores, leather, plants basically anything profession related will net you gold quickly.

If you're a first time player I'd say a gathering profession is a must if you haven't picked one.

Rokam

Yup, I love the server economies on lower level trade goods. Every time I've rerolled I pick up either LW or Mining, and by the time I'm 70 can easily afford epic flying.

Woorloog

Banned
That's how a player controlled economy works. The point is, it works the other way too.

Pick up some professions and start putting stuff on AH, you'll also make a lot more money to buy this stuff. Ores, leather, plants basically anything profession related will net you gold quickly.

If you're a first time player I'd say a gathering profession is a must if you haven't picked one.

Player controlled economy can work like a real economy. Look at EVE online. Supply and demand determine prices, which stay reasonable, no insane inflation. There is no insane inflation IRL unless something's badly wrong.

I'm not a first time player, it just amazes me how much the prices have risen over 3 years (since i last played). Noobs are getting badly shafted, because even if you can make a lot (well compared to quests) money from selling resources, the demand for those low level resources is not very high, so it is may not be worth the time invested (compared to high level stuff anyway). EDIT well, players benefit from this in that they can afford the epic flying mount easily by the time they can buy it.
I sold some copper ore and got 200g. Still ain't enough to get anything. That is, unless i'm willing to go broke right away.

And i didn't even get into second part of the insanity of WoW's system. Refined products are not worth as much as raw resources. In general, exceptions are high-level/end stuff. This makes crafting professions pre-max level worthless, especially when it is easier to gear up from loot and quests.

Rokam

Player controlled economy can work like a real economy. Look at EVE online. Supply and demand determine prices, which stay reasonable, no insane inflation. There is no insane inflation IRL unless something's badly wrong.

I'm not a first time player, it just amazes me how much the prices have risen over 3 years (since i last played). Noobs are getting badly shafted, because even if you can make a lot (well compared to quests) money from selling resources, the demand for those low level resources is not very high, so it is may not be worth the time invested (compared to high level stuff anyway).
I sold some copper ore and got 200g. Still ain't enough to get anything. That is, unless i'm willing to go broke right away.

And i didn't even get into second part of the insanity of WoW's system. Refined products are not worth as much as raw resources. In general, exceptions are high-level/end stuff. This makes crafting professions pre-max level worthless, especially when it is easier to gear up from loot and quests.

The demand for those resources is actually quite high right now, due to people leveling pandas.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Scenarios need to be taken out of the game. Like, asap. What a fucking Monday-product. Achievements bugged, credits bugged, parts of the actual scenarios bugged.

Fuck off Metzen and your stupid ideas.

Woorloog

Banned
The demand for those resources is actually quite high right now, due to people leveling pandas.

Okay, maybe so but it is a mere spike, not overall trend. Also, depends on realm as well.

This annoys me doubly, because i need the stuff i mine for leveling BS (i don't want to level it later on, i want it to be ready when i hit max level). Yet i also need the money. So, what do i do?
Currently my professions are falling behind my level badly. And not getting any extras for selling either.

EDIT traveling through Silvermoon, thinking "What a waste. So beatiful city, no use whatsoever for it :/"

Rokam

Okay, maybe so but it is a mere spike, not overall trend. Also, depends on realm as well.

This annoys me doubly, because i need the stuff i mine for leveling BS (i don't want to level it later on, i want it to be ready when i hit max level). Yet i also need the money. So, what do i do?
Currently my professions are falling behind my level badly. And not getting any extras for selling either.

Pick up mining and farm it yourself. Don't try and do 2 production professions on a new character & new realm.

Woorloog

Banned
Pick up mining and farm it yourself. Don't try and do 2 production professions on a new character & new realm.

I have mining and BS, i never have two production professions.
But i find less minerals than i need to train BS.
If i increase spending time finding minerals, i level up slower, losing time (i'm not keen on spending a lot time leveling pre-100% mount or flying mount, can slow after getting either one).
Don't like it. Wish there were more mineral nodes in the game.

TheYanger

EDIT traveling through Silvermoon, thinking "What a waste. So beatiful city, no use whatsoever for it :/"

No offense, but you're dead wrong. Demand for those materials remains high, far outstripping supply, yearround. That's WHY they're expensive. If demand wasn't there, they'd be dirt cheap (and some materials are). Leather tends to be expensive as fuck because the supply is low. The supply may be HIGHER right now with so many rerolls.

It absolutely works both ways - If an item is on there for 10 times what it was in vanilla, you yourself can be selling other items for 10 times what they were in vanilla. Low level characters make vastly VASTLY more gold than they ever used to, because inflation is a two way street. the only thing that doesn't help is someone who doesn't take any gathering professions and never sells anything they get (there are sellable items every toon gets, cloth, greens for enchanting, etc).

Robin64

Scenarios need to be taken out of the game. Like, asap. What a fucking Monday-product. Achievements bugged, credits bugged, parts of the actual scenarios bugged.

Fuck off Metzen and your stupid ideas.

You been paired with two people in there as healers yet? /sigh

Woorloog

Banned
No offense, but you're dead wrong. Demand for those materials remains high, far outstripping supply, yearround. That's WHY they're expensive. If demand wasn't there, they'd be dirt cheap (and some materials are). Leather tends to be expensive as fuck because the supply is low. The supply may be HIGHER right now with so many rerolls.

It absolutely works both ways - If an item is on there for 10 times what it was in vanilla, you yourself can be selling other items for 10 times what they were in vanilla. Low level characters make vastly VASTLY more gold than they ever used to, because inflation is a two way street. the only thing that doesn't help is someone who doesn't take any gathering professions and never sells anything they get (there are sellable items every toon gets, cloth, greens for enchanting, etc).

Okay, maybe this works for resources.

But that doesn't explain insane prices for everything else, or the inflation is ridiculously high. Weapons, armor, stuff that is never in demand (even during vanilla, not counting oddities like now removed Pet Rock) because everybody has 99% of time something equal or better already (Say, Wooden Training Sword of X sells around 30g, it ain't worth that by any measure, especially since you get better stuff from quests).
Unless disenchantable materials (the lowest tier ones, where weapons cost too much as i said) are in that high demand as well. Which i really doubt, there always seems to be a good supply of those. Or used to be anyway, haven't actually checked those.

I'm leveling herbing and mining on my monk as I level. At level 40 I have 4000 gold so the economy works both ways. I have more gold than this toon than he could possibly need at this level.

TheYanger

Transmog. They're in demand. And enchanting materials inflate like everything else, greens are sources of those materials.
Simply put, if a resource is available to you at your level and it costs 'too much' it means you're not exploiting the fact that it costs a lot. It's VERY easy to afford everything you need as a reroll these days, unlike the past, since the acquisition of static goods (mob drops, prices of training, etc) is unchanged, the prices of everything else go up due purely to inflation and you can exploit that to pay for your own costs.

Put simply, it's not as though you're level 10 and need copper ore that you can't get it the same way you always could, any you don't want you can now sell for more, the time value of money has changed significantly over the years so people will pay more for the shit that takes you the same amount of time to do as a low level character.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Level and sell all mats for two gathering professions.

Go back with a 310% flying mount, you'll be able to afford it as soon as you ding 85, and farm the mats for a crafting profession.

Leveling and farming guide: http://www.wow-professions.com/

It's the most time efficient and profitable way. Your crafting profession being at max level when you ding 90 is an illusion of importance.

Woorloog

Banned
Transmog. They're in demand. And enchanting materials inflate like everything else, greens are sources of those materials.
Simply put, if a resource is available to you at your level and it costs 'too much' it means you're not exploiting the fact that it costs a lot. It's VERY easy to afford everything you need as a reroll these days, unlike the past, since the acquisition of static goods (mob drops, prices of training, etc) is unchanged, the prices of everything else go up due purely to inflation and you can exploit that to pay for your own costs.

Put simply, it's not as though you're level 10 and need copper ore that you can't get it the same way you always could, any you don't want you can now sell for more, the time value of money has changed significantly over the years so people will pay more for the shit that takes you the same amount of time to do as a low level character.

Well. Fuck. I forgot that little thing called Transmogrification.
Too bad it doesn't make low level BS stuff valuable. At least not on EU Twisting Nether. (I know i wouldn't pay anything for low level BS armor or weapons, even though i prefer simple, vanilla-like item looks, the armor made by BS is just too ugly and shares looks with too many lootable items).

Balancing leveling speed, gold making speed and profession leveling speed. What a mess.
Bottlenecked at profession leveling speed. Which in turn stops me from making gold (because without leftover ores, i have nothing to sell). And while i'm trying to fix that, i cannot level. Damn Bronze. Once i only need Iron i reckon my BS leveling will get faster.

Fjordson

85-90 questlines are so good so far. On my way to 87.

Only minor problem I have right now is the respawn rate on everything is through the roof. Like holy shit, it's impossible to get out of an area without 3-4 mobs running after you. Understandable with everyone getting in on the new content rush, but god damn.

Rokam

DK's bugged to hell right now is no bueno. Howling Blast only puts Frost fever on main target, Unholy Blight only puts diseases on main target, and Soul Reaper is still 5 seconds.

Trickster

Heroics are a joke once again , I suppose challenges make it better?

Where is the PvP in this expansion?

That's extremely dissapointing. Heroics not being a total faceroll the moment you got ilvl for them was one of the best things the first few weeks of cata. Maybe they did it to make their hyped challenge mode feel harder than it really is ?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Challenge mode is tough as heck (from what I tried), so that's a good thing.

Rokam

Well on Mal'ganis only 4 of the challenge modes have been cleared, and only 2 of those got bronze and were still 10 minutes off from silver. So I'd say they're pretty challenging.

Got that damn bouncing the ball achievement from playing with my serpent
tee hee
. Annoying as hell to get since it glitches through the terrain, and the amount of people doing it.

Yoshichan

In pet battles, why does my opponent get like 5 free turns sometimes? He doesn't have a buff, I don't have a debuff.

That's extremely dissapointing. Heroics not being a total faceroll the moment you got ilvl for them was one of the best things the first few weeks of cata. Maybe they did it to make their hyped challenge mode feel harder than it really is ?

Extreme faceroll

First 2 weeks of cata were a bliss because you actually wiped.

Yoshichan

Pet battles isn't turn based. This shit is fucking horsedung, who the fuck came up with the idea OF A TURN BASED GAME THAT IS NOT TURN BASED FOR ONE SIDE?!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So folks on Mal'Ganis looking to join a high end raiding guild? Raiding starts Tuesday and I know some GAF folk are over here...

Slayerx

It's probably by design because they themselves are rare quality but what this means for now is that you can get any rare quality gem you want without even knowing the design for it.

What are all thsee Shipwreck Debris pools good for in south Krasarang? Most of the time my hook comes up completely empty and they respawn very quickly.

They're for an Angler's Daily, and that's it. If you don't have the daily, they won't give you anything but junk. I fell for them too when I was passing by before I looked it up.

Ultratech

Finally hit 89. Also almost finished all the quests in Townlong Steppes. Creepy place that is.

Also found Huggalon the Heart Watcher sitting in some catacombs, so I beat the love out of him and he dropped a B.F.F. Necklace. LOL

Sethos

Banned
Spent all of last week levelling my hunter from 1-85 at breakneck speed to enjoy MoP this weekend, spent hours and hours getting him up to 87 only to discover he sucks in PvE right now - I'm so fucking depressed right now :(

Got a sweet GM to recover my ye' ole' DK and I'll give that guy a whirl.

By the way, can anyone link me to any updated DW Masterfrost 'builds' / rotation?

JCizzle

Spent all of last week levelling my hunter from 1-85 at breakneck speed to enjoy MoP this weekend, spent hours and hours getting him up to 87 only to discover he sucks in PvE right now - I'm so fucking depressed right now :(

Got a sweet GM to recover my ye' ole' DK and I'll give that guy a whirl.

By the way, can anyone link me to any updated DW Masterfrost 'builds' / rotation?

It will balance out soon I'm sure, Hunters won't stay down for too long. :)

Sethos

Banned
It will balance out soon I'm sure, Hunters won't stay down for too long. :)

Yeah I know, Hunters always got some loving but it's too dire right now.

I'll pick him up again when that time comes - In the meantime, he can get a significant resting bonus :)

Chris R

Heroics will never be as challenging as they were in BC, because if they were 85% of the population would complain nonstop until the difficulty was lowered.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I'm not a first time player, it just amazes me how much the prices have risen over 3 years (since i last played). Noobs are getting badly shafted, because even if you can make a lot (well compared to quests) money from selling resources, the demand for those low level resources is not very high, so it is may not be worth the time invested (compared to high level stuff anyway). EDIT well, players benefit from this in that they can afford the epic flying mount easily by the time they can buy it.

The problem with this is that it's wrong. The demand for lower level supplies is actually almost always high. I used to sell stacks of Mithril for 1G a piece and even in the doldrums of DS they were selling for many times that.

The other thing is that the amount of materials you need overall is lower, so people are willing to shell out more for it. You no longer need thousands of Mithril bars to get through Blacksmithing just to buy recipes, etc.

As for heroics, I don't get why people complain about the difficulty of things they don't like anyways; the vast majority of people who moan about wanting hard content hate running 5 mans anyways. Do challenge mode if you want hard heroics.

Westlo

So after playing the first two days a bit and finding it only frustrating, I didnt play at all until just now and:

yQ7Ku.jpg

So.... moving to this really high pop PvE server is awesome pretty much all the time... except for an expansion launch. Fuck man I wasn't even aware servers still did queues. This is actually kinda frustrating. My wait time once it was done calculating, is sitting at 20 fucking minutes.

20 minute queue? Toughen up toots, Frostmourne has a 2374 long queue as we speak. I waited 4 hours to get in a few nights ago and the server restarted 15 mins later and I had to wait in another 700 long queue after they went back online.

Top Bottom