• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Any way to install MoP of the disc? I inserted it but the launcher simply wants to download the remaining 10 gb...

Did you just recently install all of WoW/return after a while? MoP is already installed if you patched to 5.0.4.

Robin64

Not really looking forward to LFR after I read the LFR guide on MMO-C..

LFR has changed with the coming of MoP. During it's inception LFR was regarded as a "bland experience which trivializes the raiding experience". Blizzard has taken note of this and has made the new LFR a more appropriate experience which will require more co-ordination from it's origins in Dragon Soul. Players should be prepared entering the raids with the use of the Dungeon Journal and the information found on our very own MMO-champion, with videos included. I can thankfully say that LFR in MoP is no longer a loot piñata as that of Dragon Soul, encounters will get easier as time goes on with gear upgrades, community knowledge and possibly tuning. The quality of raids are improving and I out-lined many of the changes below.

Some differences (the following remains true from a beta perspective):
- Encounters are a lot longer than Dragon Soul LFR encounters.
- Teamwork and communication is needed. On some encounters more so than others.
- Some abilities will wreck you.
- There can be a lot of individual awareness involved in certain encounters that can make or break your raid.
- Many mechanics cannot be ignored (some still can however).
- The use of CC is required for some encounters.
- Some encounters can be tough on healers and healer's mana. Beware of not screwing up so they won't waste even more mana.
- Tanks will have their work cut out for them on a few key encounters. They must manage their defensive cds more efficiently.
- There are enrage timers on many bosses so the DPS must be good (no more extreme slacking).

Torraz

Did you just recently install all of WoW/return after a while? MoP is already installed if you patched to 5.0.4.

I briefly returned after the LFR patch (4.3?).

--

1. Also, once in game, how do I get to panda town?

2. In what level ranges is the dynamic cross realm zones enabled??

So, just realized one thing I hate about world bosses, especially this early in the expansion - the top, bleeding edge guild will have a raid group out there and it tagged within a minute of it spawning .

Funny story.

So my guild was going full tilt saying that a world boss had spawned and to drop any and everything so we can go kill it... fine. We get there, not only is the top Horde guild there (which is number 2-3 in the US) along side with freaking Blood Legion (You all know who they are). Fuckers flagged pvp and waited til someone screwed up, which ended up getting the healer tagged, the tank killed and the raid wiped. Which they proceeded to take it from us.

So yah, it's rough. And CRZ isn't helping.

Any way to install MoP of the disc? I inserted it but the launcher simply wants to download the remaining 10 gb...

If you already updated via the updater and added your key then you won't need to install the discs, the updater will do it for you.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So LFR will actually require a couple of extra minutes + some wipes here and there and then become free loot for everyone? Sounds fair, if you ask me :p

Also of note for this expansion compared to previous ones in terms of money-making:

Everything is just worth less, generally. Kind of unfortunate, but professions are ridiculously easy/cheap to level, possibly the easiest tier in the entire game. No one is really making gobs of money right now except maybe scribes cashing in on the Darkmoon Faire madness.

Just to give a couple examples:

Enchanting: Utterly Worthless. Up/Down Conversion of every mat means that they're all equivalent in price. Huge abundance of materials due to the leveling process and the guild perk everyone should have at this point. Shado-Pan enchants will be worth something due to requiring a decent amount Sha Crystals (which are a daily CD for up-conversion) and being locked behing the rep grind, but still not too much.

Alchemy: Living Steel not really worth it anymore, margin is too low, even converting from ghost iron. If you proc it's nice, but otherwise you're really just breaking even or making a about 100-200g at most, which really isn't worth the investment . Gem transmutes aren't even close to being profitable, which is unfortunate. Golden Lotus still costs more than gems (cut or uncut) themselves, making it a losing proposition. Primal Diamonds may be alright, but not as stable a market. Flasks - also reliant on Golden Lotus - not the best market to be in. May be biased here for MoP, but it was a pointless market in Cata thanks to the guild cauldrons. Potions and Elixirs never really sell well, so I don't even bother, not being specced into either.

Jewelcrafting: Just generally worth less. Taking only one day to discover a cut, rather than 3 (albeit getting a random one) makes cuts less valuable. Green gems are nigh worthless, with transmutes not being profitable, and enchanting mats in the shitter (Jewelry -> DE). You can cut and hope for perfect cuts, but that's a lot of vendor waste. Metas seem alright, as mentioned, but still not particularly strong.

One thing I've noticed for free money is Blacksmithing. Buy Living Steel, make Belt Buckle , ???, 500g profit. Not sure how fast those move, but it's got to be some of the easiest gold at the moment.

Other professions I'm either not as in tune with, or don't care to rattle on about at this time.

Robin64

So LFR will actually require a couple of extra minutes + some wipes here and there and then become free loot for everyone? Sounds fair, if you ask me :p

I am mostly looking forward to communicating with a raid that speaks several different languages.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I am mostly looking forward to communicating with a raid that speaks several different languages.
XD It's the regular PR-bullcrap from Blizzard. It's not gonna be hard, at all.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Never thought of this one. How exciting. At least as a tank, I'll only be dealing with a few folks rather than 17 or whatever the number is. Us tanks can work it out like bros.

Yoshichan

It better not be or I'm holding you personally responsible.
That's fine! ♥ ♥ ♥

edit: wait, do I even have your RealID?

ampere

XD It's the regular PR-bullcrap from Blizzard. It's not gonna be hard, at all.

Not hard, but there are a few raid wipe things that groups will have to learn if no one in them has done the normal modes.

Pretty sure the raid will still wipe from petrification on Stone Guard, Arcane Annihilator is still deadly on Feng (not sure how deadly), and tanks can die if they don't kill the add in the spirit realm on Gara'jal (but I think dps don't have the risk of dying from a timer).

Sarcasm

Add me on realid (I play on NA account)! Just PM me!

Also finally I can fly ~ no more peasant mount riding.

So..what should I be doing since I am 90 now? (lol)..troll druid btw mainly feral wanting to tank.

JCizzle

As a tank who didn't play the raids on beta, I'm not looking forward to learning some of those fights for the first time in LFR >.>

Then again, I was part of the elite 50% of LFR tanks who knew when to hit the button and taunt during Halion, lol.

Yoshichan

Add me on realid (I play on NA account)! Just PM me!

Also finally I can fly ~ no more peasant mount riding.

So..what should I be doing since I am 90 now? (lol)..troll druid btw mainly feral wanting to tank.
Farmville or Pokémon! You choose :D

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So if we have everyone's RealID, can we setup a GAF raid group even if we're not on the same server???

E: If so, we need to do this. Heroic GAF killers. <3

Since we are on the topic of LFR, how was it when first introduced? I only got to witness it when I came back a few weeks prior to MoP when people were obviously steamrolling everything. Should I expect to be beating my head on my desk the first few weeks while people need to have strategy beaten into their head?

I really have nothing against just doing guild raids, but our guild is really small these days and my preferred raiding time is a little odd (I would rather do it early morning on the weekends instead of at night).

So if we have everyone's RealID, can we setup a GAF raid group even if we're not on the same server???

Yeah people do raids of old content all the time this way.

Sarcasm

Yes this is why I been trying to set this up. The list in google docs is down and since we all can party up and do stuff regardless of server (only thing limiting now is faction) I thought a lot more people would be interested.

Berordn

Did they change their tune and let you do current raids cross-server? Originally it was only older content that had it enabled, DS being an exception for a short period in 5.0.4 because it technically was old content.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yes this is why I been trying to set this up. The list in google docs is down and since we all can party up and do stuff regardless of server (only thing limiting now is faction) I thought a lot more people would be interested.

I didn't know it was even possible! I love old stuff AND would love a group of people who "get it" to run current content with.

Who should I PM? I'm def available to tank pretty much anything that's needed.

mclem

I cheat. As a tank, when I do an LFR, I stack it with a ludicrous quantity of my own guildies. I'm hoping we can nearly fill an LFR just with those of us from the guild, but 460 might be a little steep for that for now - we ran a 10-man this week with people 450+, though, so that's a backup option if necessary. I wonder if we can muster two?

For now, I have two days in which to locate three iLvls.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Did they change their tune and let you do current raids cross-server? Originally it was only older content that had it enabled, DS being an exception for a short period in 5.0.4 because it technically was old content.

I believe they are planning to keep the most current raid tier server-limited, which I totally forgot about until seeing your post and made me sad.

Anoregon

What? How? Who drops these? I haven't gotten a single one, I thought I read they have equal chance of dropping off of any level 90 mobs.

I believe it's any mob in Vale, not just any 90.

They're gonna need to be careful with the LFR. I understand the concern but at the same time... there's a lot of derp out there. Make the encounter longer and have it trickier? There's going to be a lot of rage quit from the people who just couldn't make it to their guild raid that week and wanted to make it up somehow. Shit, I still had people blowing me up off the back of Spine less than a month before the expansion.

Berordn

They're gonna need to be careful with the LFR. I understand the concern but at the same time... there's a lot of derp out there. Make the encounter longer and have it trickier? There's going to be a lot of rage quit from the people who just couldn't make it to their guild raid that week and wanted to make it up somehow. Shit, I still had people blowing me up off the back of Spine less than a month before the expansion.

You can bet that LFR will be seeing a lot of Day 1 and first week nerfs, for that exact reason.

It really makes me wish there was a 10 man LFR option as well. My guild could probably field at least half of that without too much trouble and make sure our bases are pretty well covered.

Yoshichan

Fuck this game.

edit: Correction. Fuck my guild.

Tarazet

Also of note for this expansion compared to previous ones in terms of money-making:

Everything is just worth less, generally. Kind of unfortunate, but professions are ridiculously easy/cheap to level, possibly the easiest tier in the entire game. No one is really making gobs of money right now except maybe scribes cashing in on the Darkmoon Faire madness.

Just to give a couple examples:

Enchanting: Utterly Worthless. Up/Down Conversion of every mat means that they're all equivalent in price. Huge abundance of materials due to the leveling process and the guild perk everyone should have at this point. Shado-Pan enchants will be worth something due to requiring a decent amount Sha Crystals (which are a daily CD for up-conversion) and being locked behing the rep grind, but still not too much.

Alchemy: Living Steel not really worth it anymore, margin is too low, even converting from ghost iron. If you proc it's nice, but otherwise you're really just breaking even or making a about 100-200g at most, which really isn't worth the investment . Gem transmutes aren't even close to being profitable, which is unfortunate. Golden Lotus still costs more than gems (cut or uncut) themselves, making it a losing proposition. Primal Diamonds may be alright, but not as stable a market. Flasks - also reliant on Golden Lotus - not the best market to be in. May be biased here for MoP, but it was a pointless market in Cata thanks to the guild cauldrons. Potions and Elixirs never really sell well, so I don't even bother, not being specced into either.

Jewelcrafting: Just generally worth less. Taking only one day to discover a cut, rather than 3 (albeit getting a random one) makes cuts less valuable. Green gems are nigh worthless, with transmutes not being profitable, and enchanting mats in the shitter (Jewelry -> DE). You can cut and hope for perfect cuts, but that's a lot of vendor waste. Metas seem alright, as mentioned, but still not particularly strong.

One thing I've noticed for free money is Blacksmithing. Buy Living Steel, make Belt Buckle , ???, 500g profit. Not sure how fast those move, but it's got to be some of the easiest gold at the moment.

Other professions I'm either not as in tune with, or don't care to rattle on about at this time.

Fishing is one of the best money-makers right now actually, because so many people are trying to level their Cooking and it takes so much fish. And crops too, by the way. It's worth it for anyone to work on their farm and grind Tillers even before reaching 90.

As far as Skinning goes, Exotic Leather is plentiful, but Prismatic Scales are scarce. I've been able to sell them for 600g a stack, and they drop well off of crocodiles and basilisks.

I also have capped Leatherworking, and the main moneymaker, if history is any indication, will be the BoE leg enchants that take a Magnificent Hide and a Spirit of Harmony. I just got the recipes yesterday, haven't tried selling them yet.

One thing I've noticed for free money is Blacksmithing. Buy Living Steel, make Belt Buckle , ???, 500g profit. Not sure how fast those move, but it's got to be some of the easiest gold at the moment

The price is already falling on them, but Living Steel costs are falling pretty fast as well. I have been seeing around 300G profit or so on them since Friday. The biggest issue here is you can be left holding the bag on some expensive merchandise if the price falls fast. For instance to make any decent profit on Belt Buckles I usually have to invest 20K in bars before I go to bed and then hope I do not get horribly undercut 20 minutes later.

Robin64

Thanks for belt buckle tip! Time to get rich quck again. Yay!

Going in small. Even undercutting the current buckle prices, I will make 800g each on this batch of 4. Yummy.

Ultratech

Actual use of CC in LFR? *shocked*

Always bothers me when tanks just rush in and aggro everything, since I'm used the Vanilla/BC ways of CCing stuff so they didn't murderize you or your party.

Fishing is one of the best money-makers right now actually, because so many people are trying to level their Cooking and it takes so much fish. And crops too, by the way. It's worth it for anyone to work on their farm and grind Tillers even before reaching 90.

As far as Skinning goes, Exotic Leather is plentiful, but Prismatic Scales are scarce. I've been able to sell them for 600g a stack, and they drop well off of crocodiles and basilisks.

I also have capped Leatherworking, and the main moneymaker, if history is any indication, will be the BoE leg enchants that take a Magnificent Hide and a Spirit of Harmony. I just got the recipes yesterday, haven't tried selling them yet.

Prismatic Scales are probably more uncommon than anything. Of course, if you kill turtles/crocolisks/anything with scales and stuff, then you have a decent chance of getting them.

Magnificent Hides are stupid rare without making it. I skinned one of a mob apparently, but I have no idea what it was. Pretty much the Pristine Hide all over again...

Westlo

Yeah this expansion sucks for money making atm, the only clear winner is cooking mats shuffle and who knows how long that will last. Living Steel is lol just now, Ghost Iron Ore > Trillium Transmute was nice for like a week.

From what I heard Cata made people a fuckload of money due to the vendor price of gems being so high. It was basically free money as long as you could prospect a shitload.

Tarazet

Prismatic Scales are probably more uncommon than anything. Of course, if you kill turtles/crocolisks/anything with scales and stuff, then you have a better chance of getting it.

Magnificent Hides are stupid rare without making it. I skinned one of a mob apparently, but I have no idea what it was. Pretty much the Pristine Hide all over again...

I had two Hides drop on the first day of playing at 85 in the Jade Forest, but I haven't had any drop since at all. They pretty much have to be crafted. That said, the leather is so plentiful that I have a stack of Magnificent Hides in my bank and still have a bag full of Exotic Leather.

FLEABttn

Banned
Yes. The entire continent of Pandaria and Org/SW are the only places that it's not active for.

Eh, I see CRZ active in the MoP main city. That's technically part of the continent of Pandaria.

Disappointing, but likely true. :/

As disappointing as a "very easy" difficulty setting in SP games. You're not going to grab 25 randoms and expect good things. There's like 2 higher difficulty modes, so I don't understand complains of LFR being too easy. Go grab your 9 closest friends and do hard modes then.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
As disappointing as a "very easy" difficulty setting in SP games. You're not going to grab 25 randoms and expect good things. There's like 2 higher difficulty modes, so I don't understand complains of LFR being too easy. Go grab your 9 closest friends and do hard modes then.

Sorry, but raid content shouldn't be the "very easy" mode equivalent.

Yoshichan

LFR isn't raid content. It's a 25 man dungeon.

Top Bottom