• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

TheYanger

Sorry, but raid content shouldn't be the "very easy" mode equivalent.

It...isn't? LFR is. LFR exists so that people have a chance to see it with minimal commitment. That's not 'raiding' by any sense that anyone actually uses, so why get butthurt over it? Queueing makes people do things they wouldn't do, the convenience of it. Queueing is also GARBAGE if mechanics are the slightest bit challenging. Ergo, anything you can queue for, even a 'raid', needs to be easy.

Wait I can invite other people in other realms to do dungeons and raids with? Wtf?

You can even quest with them out in the world now :)

GW2 and other games make transferring easy or let you 'guest' or whatever other technology, meanwhile blizz just casually rolls out complete cross-server play with no load times (you just phase in and out and are on a different server). GG. It's very slick tech. I expect to see the AH go regionwide at some point too, making low population realms even more viable as time goes on.

JCizzle

Since we are on the topic of LFR, how was it when first introduced? I only got to witness it when I came back a few weeks prior to MoP when people were obviously steamrolling everything. Should I expect to be beating my head on my desk the first few weeks while people need to have strategy beaten into their head?

I really have nothing against just doing guild raids, but our guild is really small these days and my preferred raiding time is a little odd (I would rather do it early morning on the weekends instead of at night).

Yeah people do raids of old content all the time this way.

My experience from day one: there were certainly more wipes, but nothing outrageous. A lot more regular raiders were running it initially, so it was a pretty even mix of raiders/casuals. Still tempers and all that good stuff as people learned the fights, but it was pretty rare to see full on nerd rages. Even though they've lessened the incentive for raiders, I imagine a good number will still be running it off the bat - which is a good way for casual players to learn initially.

---

And heirlooms/guild xp bonuses are silly. I can't even get in a low level dungeon because I'm leveling in less than 10m per level in the teens and the LFD queue kicks you each time you gain a new level :lol. I love it though, I really don't want to level again, but I need this monk!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It...isn't? LFR is. LFR exists so that people have a chance to see it with minimal commitment. That's not 'raiding' by any sense that anyone actually uses, so why get butthurt over it? Queueing makes people do things they wouldn't do, the convenience of it. Queueing is also GARBAGE if mechanics are the slightest bit challenging. Ergo, anything you can queue for, even a 'raid', needs to be easy.

I'm not "butthurt" - I've never used LFR before as I've never had trouble finding a group of people to run content with.

E: That being said, I simply stated (originally) that it was disappointing that they're going to trivialize the content. I didn't even say it was going to impact me in any way, but some implied it as such. ;)

My experience from day one: there were certainly more wipes, but nothing outrageous. A lot more regular raiders were running it initially, so it was a pretty even mix of raiders/casuals. Still tempers and all that good stuff as people learned the fights, but it was pretty rare to see full on nerd rages. Even though they've lessened the incentive for raiders, I imagine a good number will still be running it off the bat - which is a good way for casual players to learn initially.

Thanks, that is good to hear. As someone who used to be in a server first raiding guild I have patience, but I wanted to make sure I was not going to see jaw dropping stupidity everywhere. It makes me sad that this is what I have sunk to in order to see raid content, but that is what happens when you get old.

I had two Hides drop on the first day of playing at 85 in the Jade Forest, but I haven't had any drop since at all. They pretty much have to be crafted. That said, the leather is so plentiful that I have a stack of Magnificent Hides in my bank and still have a bag full of Exotic Leather.

Lucky. Have not seen a single one drop for me and I've probably skinned 600 animals so far. Prismatic scales... think I have about 60 in my bank at the moment. Just saving them for worthwhile patterns.

JCizzle

Oh my goodness what have they done to Warrior damage, these are some serious numbers lol.

Executes? I hate what they've done to warrior DPS since it seems so backloaded now, at least as Arms. However, I only use it for questing and such, and prefer to tank.

Thanks, that is good to hear. As someone who used to be in a server first raiding guild I have patience, but I wanted to make sure I was not going to see jaw dropping stupidity everywhere. It makes me sad that this is what I have sunk to in order to see raid content, but that is what happens when you get old.

Ha I hear you. I used to enjoy organized raiding, and probably still would, but I just can't justify sitting on my ass without the possibility of stepping off if needed without my fiance kicking my ass.

FLEABttn

Banned
I didn't even say it was going to impact me in any way, but some implied it as such. ;)

The royal "you" and "your". Any implications were unintended but apparently inconsequential.

LFR being easy doesn't impact you. LFR being hard impacts others. So being against it is rather silly.

strafer

LFR isn't raid content. It's a 25 man dungeon.

0208_46d7.gif

What? How? Who drops these? I haven't gotten a single one, I thought I read they have equal chance of dropping off of any level 90 mobs.

As far as I understand it's a zone drop in Vale of Eternal Blossoms (I've heard others say it has a tiny chance to drop from 90 mobs elsewhere but haven't seen it myself). The Best mobs to farm are Tricksters in the north west of the zone, as they have low health, a fast spawn time and there's a fair few of them close together, although sometimes they can be phased out depending on which dailies you've had. The drop rate, in my experience, is somewhere around 1/1000, possibly higher.

How? I farmed tricksters for about 5 days. One other person on the realm already has the reins for the mount but didn't realise you needed exalted rep with the August Celestials to use it, and neglected doing Golden Lotus dailies in order to farm his shards. There's a bit of drama about whether he used a bot to farm them (lots of people claiming they saw him stood in one spot 24/7 stopping/starting his casting animation every half second or so until mobs spawned and never replying to whispers), so I'm quite interested to see what happens there.

Kenaras

Yeah, early Cataclysm was a huge money-maker for me. My main is an Enchanter/Alchemist, so I was making/disenchanting Alchemist Stones and selling the Maelstrom Crystals at 2k-3k profit each with fast turnaround. Volatile Air transmutes were also quite profitable.

There's still some money to be made in the current expansion, though. Fishing and crop farming are reasonably profitable, and if you don't need Spirits of Harmony, converting those to Golden Lotuses isn't bad. Cooking seems like the only profession which isn't trivial to max out, so cooking materials are the only ones which have retained value.

Tarazet

Lucky. Have not seen a single one drop for me and I've probably skinned 600 animals so far. Prismatic scales... think I have about 60 in my bank at the moment. Just saving them for worthwhile patterns.

Unless you're a mail wearer, there aren't any. You can make the best leg enchants for yourself with an Eternal Thread, and all the epic gear takes Magnificent Hide even for mail wearers for that matter.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The royal "you" and "your". Any implications were unintended but apparently inconsequential.

LFR being easy doesn't impact you. LFR being hard impacts others. So being against it is rather silly.

You're right - it does impact others. I appreciate that Blizzard puts it in so that people who wouldn't normally see end-game content get that opportunity. There are very few options Blizzard has, but hopefully they execute this correctly and make it so you HAVE to use your abilities and be smart. Sure, you might not have to split DPS evenly between all 6 adds in order to not wipe the raid (vent/mumble needed for that, let's be real). But making sure to dispel certain abilities and interrupting when necessary would at least keep things relatively challenging yet obtainable.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Are there new BGs? I just hit 90 and was looking forward to PVP, but I don't see anything new on my BG list.

There are two. A weird mogu/pandaria ruin thing with 4 balls you move around, and a mine that functions like TF2 payload I believe.

Kenaras

You're right - it does impact others. I appreciate that Blizzard puts it in so that people who wouldn't normally see end-game content get that opportunity. There are very few options Blizzard has, but hopefully they execute this correctly and make it so you HAVE to use your abilities and be smart. Sure, you might not have to split DPS evenly between all 6 adds in order to not wipe the raid (vent/mumble needed for that, let's be real). But making sure to dispel certain abilities and interrupting when necessary would at least keep things relatively challenging yet obtainable.

When it comes to queueable content, Blizzard's playerbase has proven repeatedly that if you require them to "use their abilities and be smart," they will fail. They will then storm the official forums en masse and threaten to quit unless the content is nerfed. I think the current situation of trivial queueable content and challenging pre-made group content is the best we can hope for.

Draxal

You just don't understand how lfr works at all. There is no quality control there, and you have trolls intentional trying to wipe the group once in a while (ususally the geared raiders). In a four boss clear of soul I've seen about 40-60 people in the raid at times, with people dropping nonstop. There is no way to coordinate this.

I have been through lfr wipes, even though it shouldn't be possible, it definetely happened in Dragon Soul lfraids.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
8 Skyshards down, 2 to go. I'm taking a couple of days off, I can't face killing any more Tricksters -_-

I don't understand why you would even bother grinding this right now since it's going to take 30 days+ before you can even use the mount. It just makes it so you have to grind like 5 things at once.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
30 days before you could use it? Why O_O?

Berordn

Eh, I see CRZ active in the MoP main city. That's technically part of the continent of Pandaria.

Inviting someone to form a cross-realm group and questing with them will either pull you or them to each other's realms, but it's not going to happen randomly as it does in the rest of the world.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Requires August Celestial rep to ride. One of our social members got it and I just had to laugh. huge waste of time.

You also need cloud serpent riding.

Also, you get a Thundering Cloud Serpent for getting August Celestial rep to Exalted.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just got over 10k achievement points on my main. I guess there is some here who are even higher.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just got over 10k achievement points on my main. I guess there is some here who are even higher.
You get 10k by just playing the game naturally :lol

You get 10k by just playing the game naturally :lol

Not really, if by "naturally" you mean not actively going after specific achievements. I have about 5k and have been playing this game since 2007.

I usually only go after the achievements that have rewards associated with completing them.

Yoshichan

Not really, if by "naturally" you mean not actively going after specific achievements. I have about 5k and have been playing this game since 2007.

I usually only go after the achievements that have rewards associated with completing them.
Hmm, damn I thought with MoP being out; 10k would be the amount everyone would be getting. I guess I'm wrong :/

Robin64

Just think how many achievements are from raiding. "Dungeons and Raids" has 693 achievements, but who knows what the split is. Anyway, then consider how many people just don't raid.. Or don't do top ranking PvP.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hmm, damn I thought with MoP being out; 10k would be the amount everyone would be getting. I guess I'm wrong :/

The only reason i have 10k is because i lost a lot of time doing world events, exploration, every single quests and a lot of very easy soloable achievements that most people dont bother with. Raid and PVP achievements were always lacking behind.

And is it just me, or is there way too many cooking ingredients this time around? My bags are filled with this crap.

Magnus

Whelp, my two weeks of playing pretty hardcore are over. Got my blood DK to 90, got him pretty well geared out with only two slots below 463, and made over 50K on the auction house with little to no effort.

How? Educate me!

I've got Alch/Ench at 600, and tomorrow, will have a Miner/JC at 600. All I've been doing so far is selling Living Steel, which makes me 2-300 every day at most. I could sell Sha Crystals for 500 a piece too.

What else to make money?

V_Arnold

Requires August Celestial rep to ride. One of our social members got it and I just had to laugh. huge waste of time.

You also need cloud serpent riding.

I don't understand why you would even bother grinding this right now since it's going to take 30 days+ before you can even use the mount. It just makes it so you have to grind like 5 things at once.

Well, it is one grind finished, probably netted a lot of Spirit of Harmony as well.
In other news, I need to grind 60 motes cause I am about to craft the tanking plate chest. Love that selling the BOE necklace alone recouped the costs of about 4 Living Steels. (Living Steel Belt Buckles will make the other half of much needed profits :p).

Whether they have the reputation for using the mount or not, they would still need to farm that stuff, so... one way or another, I guess.

EDIT: Guys, here is a horror story for ya. In EU, Venture Co, LIVING STEEL is currently at 1500g/piece.
And there was ONE 2h blue weapon in the ah (crafted). It was mine. 463 - sold for 2k almost immediately. THAT is the definition of a dry ah.

Robin64

I have a 22s bag full of cooking ingredients, and I still can't actually make anything I need to level. TOO MUCH, BLIZZ.

The price is already falling on them, but Living Steel costs are falling pretty fast as well. I have been seeing around 300G profit or so on them since Friday. The biggest issue here is you can be left holding the bag on some expensive merchandise if the price falls fast. For instance to make any decent profit on Belt Buckles I usually have to invest 20K in bars before I go to bed and then hope I do not get horribly undercut 20 minutes later.

Well the thing about belt buckles is that even if you're left holding the bag, it's something that you can always use (eventually), so long as you aren't producing extremely large batches, and the cost isn't that high to take a loss on if you have to. Compared to say, crafted epic armor, which I've tended to stay out of (though I did flip a couple in Cataclysm.)

One other thing to remember now is that Inscription is the sole source for shoulder enchants. I think I paid a decent amount for an epic one the other day (1-2k or so). They're really not that expensive to make either, so the return on those should be pretty good, as TheYanger mentioned having success with LW leg enchants.

It's not just you. The requirements to get cooking to 600 and make feasts in general are absurd.

Oh my lord. I have so many ingredients. Takes up an absurd amount of space in my bags. More space than anything else besides the 2-3 sets of gear I haul around with me. And that's not even all of them, since I sent some away to alts!

JCizzle

I think they need to fix bag space issues, it seems to have gotten much worse in MoP for some reason. I think having the ability to store off spec gear in the inventory manager system would be a good start. That's 16 free bag slots for those who carry around an extra set of gear.

I think they need to fix bag space issues, it seems to have gotten much worse in MoP for some reason. I think having the ability to store off spec gear in the inventory manager system would be a good start. That's 16 free bag slots for those who carry around an extra set of gear.

They need to remove the 7 day cooldown on making dreamcloth so I can burn up my old cataclysm mats making illusionary bags.

There should be a way to upgrade your initial 16 slot bag.

"The technology just isn't there yet."

Seriously though - they know about the issue with bag space (been mentioned in blue posts, etc. many a time), especially the backpack, but I'm not sure how high up it is on their to-do list, which is unfortunate.

Robin64

All cooking ingredients should just go to a shared account stash just for those. Call it a pantry or something.

I once thought the void storage was going to be amazing but then it was poo.

Berordn

All cooking ingredients should just go to a shared account stash just for those. Call it a pantry or something.

I once thought the void storage was going to be amazing but then it was poo.

With how much they've commented on it, it makes me think they'd try to put something in 5.1. At least for the food. Cooking mats are crazy.

Cyrillus

The bag issue is only compounded by the increase in "fun" items you from quests while leveling through Pandaria. I have had to throw out so many of these "only usable in X zone" items due to bag space issues.

Of course, I wouldn't be opposed to cooking or food bags.

I wouldn't be as upset if feasts weren't worse than individually prepared recipes. As it stands the only reason to get 600 cooking is for heirloom legs.

Macmanus

So starting fresh after 6 years of no WoW I'm finally making some decent progress. The problem is that there is still a ton of stuff I'm completely ignorant about - but the one thing that really perplexes me the transmogrification. I don't understand it all. Can you collect gear sets and change their stats for cosmetic reasons? What the hell is a void bag? Are they heirlooms?

TheYanger

So starting fresh after 6 years of no WoW I'm finally making some decent progress. The problem is that there is still a ton of stuff I'm completely ignorant about - but the one thing that really perplexes me the transmogrification. I don't understand it all. Can you collect gear sets and change their stats for cosmetic reasons? What the hell is a void bag? Are they heirlooms?

qigGw.png

So, graphic on the left is what that item actually looks like, middle is the transmogged tooltip. Right is what it looks like when I'm actually using it. That's the graphic for the Draconic Avenger, refer back to the tooltip.

Hopefully that makes it simple :) Transmog is a way to have an item look like something else.

Void storage is just extra bank space for stuff you won't use often.

G-Unit

I like Pandaria, but I feel I´m over grinding stuff. Same quests for months, grind dungeons, grind rep, grind prof... I can't do it anymore

Macmanus

That sounds like an awesome feature.

So in theory I could go farm out MC to get the Might set for my warrior and transmog it with stats from equipment that I'm currently utilizing?

Top Bottom