• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
How can we get this implemented? This is perfect.

Yeah, no. That's not happening. Without lockout mechanisms as they are, people will just get all the loot they want in a couple of weeks and then cry for more content because they are "done" with the current tier.

Only allowing one chance at loot per raid boss per week is a necessary game mechanic. It may do so "artificially", but it helps prolong raid relevance and the onset of burnout.

Entropia

No One Remembers
But it should. It still doesn't guarantee that I will get a drop, it just doesn't lock me out. It's still fair for Guilds when they run through it. Because its the same 25 people raiding, so sooner or later you'll get something with that process. Probably even faster, and with better stats.

While you aren't guaranteed a drop, you have a chance to get loot as many times as you run the place. LFR is meant to give you the raiding experience that you can do on your own time. That includes the frustration of waiting a week to kill a boss again and hope you get the loot that you want.

Were you around for the pre-5.0 Dragon Soul? You would have a kanipshin if you saw how loot was handled. Items dropped like they do in 5 man heroics and basically if your class could roll need on the item, people would roll need. This meant the person who was already best in slot was rolling on an item for their friend.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, no. That's not happening. Without lockout mechanisms as they are, people will just get all the loot they want in a couple of weeks and then cry for more content because they are "done" with the current tier.

Only allowing one chance at loot per raid boss per week is a necessary game mechanic. It may do so "artificially", but it helps prolong raid relevance and the onset of burnout.
I agree on this kind of loot rules, but wouldn't it be nice if after the first time you completed the raid within the lockout period you could still reset all the encounters, run them again but get no loot? It could provide some practice if you are aiming to do the heroic version, or if you simply want to do a boss you like over and over again.

It would be cool if Blizzard implemented some kind of "optional" raid with a way higher difficulty level than usual, in which there is no loot at all. It would function as a way for hardcore raids to do something to prove themselves. I doubt casuals etc. would be too upset about not being "able" to complete that since there is no loot. Blizzard probably wouldn't have to include any greater lore either. And besides, it would go up on YouTube anyway.

ampere

quoting works like Dick on my phone so i won't try. what was your group comp? once you start getting used to how top proceed they get a LOT easier. I would say the hardest by far are storm stout and Scarlet monastery. I've Got videos of every one i may comment on and pot on YouTube soon, for now they're all on twitch if you want to get an idea.
easiest to hardest:
Scarlet halls
gate of the setting sun
scholomance
Jade serpent
mogushan palace
niuzao temple
shadopan
scarlet monastery
storm stout

Our comp has been: Tank - Brewmaster Monk, Healer - Resto Shaman or Holy Priest, Dps - Ret Paladin, Fire Mage, and the last spot has varied between Frost DK and Hunter who changes specs. I agree that experience in these will make them much easier, but still pretty damn hard. Knowing which trash pack require CC, etc

Interesting that you say Scarlet Halls is the easiest, is that with perfect dog food tosses? That's the biggest problem we're having right now, and the dogs on chains seem to chase our healer through the walls and seemingly 1 shot them.

Definitely interested in youtube videos if you post them

Salz01

While you aren't guaranteed a drop, you have a chance to get loot as many times as you run the place. LFR is meant to give you the raiding experience that you can do on your own time. That includes the frustration of waiting a week to kill a boss again and hope you get the loot that you want.

Were you around for the pre-5.0 Dragon Soul? You would have a kanipshin if you saw how loot was handled. Items dropped like they do in 5 man heroics and basically if your class could roll need on the item, people would roll need. This meant the person who was already best in slot was rolling on an item for their friend.

But this benefits Guild raiders. Guilds have the option of running both in the same week, hence increasing their chances of a Raid upgrade. Plus doing the dailies like you mention above.

I'm not in a guild. And just because I'm not, I'll be slower to itemize up.
Maybe I have to go look again, but I'm not sure what will allow me to save up for Tier 14 armor set stats. Don't think Dailies do.

I was not around for the first iteration of LFR. Burnt out on Raids by the crusade expansion.

Entropia

No One Remembers
But this benefits Guild raiders. Guilds have the option of running both in the same week, hence increasing their chances of a Raid upgrade. Plus doing the dailies like you mention above.

I'm not in a guild. And just because I'm not, I'll be slower to itemize up.
Maybe I have to go look again, but I'm not sure what will allow me to save up for Tier 14 armor set stats. Don't think Dailies do.

I was not around for the first iteration of LFR. Burnt out on Raids by the crusade expansion.

Funny you mention burn out because this is actually what your proposed idea would cause.

If I run LFR Tuesday and get 1 thing, I have to run it at least once more to get hope I get the loot I want off each boss the next go around. That's not even considering that a boss may have more than one piece of loot that I want.

(Also, you can get tier gear from the Heart of Fear and Terrace of Endless Springs, but they won't be around for another week or two)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I don't think Hamlet posts here.
... what ._.? It's taken from EJ.
Sounds like Blizzard needs to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-(re-re-re)-think Spirit for healers. Again. If the situation is that bad.
It's slightly bad for the people that really cares. But it still works for the casual person.

ampere

Why More Spirit is not the Answer to your Healing Problems. Read up, fellow healers! (written by our fellow EJ Hamlet)

http://iam.yellingontheinternet.com...t-is-not-the-answer-to-your-healing-problems/

Thanks for sharing this, Yoshi. I'm tanking this expac so I haven't researched healing much and I blindly made our healers lots of spirit flasks and told them to work on spirit food. One of our healers started asking for int flasks last week so I think he knows I messed up... hehe.

When you get Honored, you will get a quest that takes you into the halls. When you're inside, look for the Caches.

It's worth pointing out that depending on which quests you're on, certain wings of the halls will be closed off to you. However, you can deliberately die next to a door, corpse run and rez on the other side of it, potentially letting you find caches a lot of people overlook/can't get to.

I got a Salyin Battle Banner from killing a rare mob (incidentally, disc priests are amazing for soloing stuff), it basically gives my priest a more reliable version of shadowmeld for use outdoors in Pandaria. It really helps with the still-in-combat bug.

Irnbru

... what ._.? It's taken from EJ.

It's slightly bad for the people that really cares. But it still works for the casual person.

I think it's pretty bad all around, I'm doing ok on my paladin, but it's some though crap. Also, Shamans are so hard to keep up with on 25 man due to dat rain. I actually had to push to beat em!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thanks for sharing this, Yoshi. I'm tanking this expac so I haven't researched healing much and I blindly made our healers lots of spirit flasks and told them to work on spirit food. One of our healers started asking for int flasks last week so I think he knows I messed up... hehe.
Yep :D I've guided my healers (along with myself) through this little spirit-int-situation lately as-well! It really does help~

ampere

scarlet halls is up alreadyb on both YouTube and twitch. tv/theyanger.can't link till i get home

oh wow you can pull the houndmaster and the dogs and throw the bucket when you have threat on them, we were trying to lead and aim the bucket while they were patting rofl

Yep :D I've guided my healers (along with myself) through this little spirit-int-situation lately as-well! It really does help~

Sounds like spirit is pretty awesome if you get 2x it versus int though, I guess if spirit flasks were 2000 spirit they might be better. Gemming pure spirit is still fine eh?

Yoshichan

Berordn

But it should. It still doesn't guarantee that I will get a drop, it just doesn't lock me out. It's still fair for Guilds when they run through it. Because its the same 25 people raiding, so sooner or later you'll get something with that process. Probably even faster, and with better stats.

And then it makes LFR part a mandatory part of progression once it opens. It'd stop being an option for seeing the content and become a mandatory loot vending machine.

edit: woah, super beat.

ampere

Gemming pure spirit is excellent, as long as you're not missing out on any socket bonus. SB's are really good in MoP!

Example, my character:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Yoshichan/advanced

Head: Full spirit. Legs: Red socket + socket bonus.

Cool, yeah I checked one of our healers and he seems to be gemming split int/spirit to get some of the bonuses. I'll bring up the int food discussion today but they're gonna be mad at me for telling them the wrong one to start with ~_~

Yoshichan

Cool, yeah I checked one of our healers and he seems to be gemming split int/spirit to get some of the bonuses. I'll bring up the int food discussion today but they're gonna be mad at me for telling them the wrong one to start with ~_~
Definitely better late never never! We're still super early on in this expansion; mistakes can happen :3

Salz01

Funny you mention burn out because this is actually what your proposed idea would cause.

If I run LFR Tuesday and get 1 thing, I have to run it at least once more to get hope I get the loot I want off each boss the next go around. That's not even considering that a boss may have more than one piece of loot that I want.

(Also, you can get tier gear from the Heart of Fear and Terrace of Endless Springs, but they won't be around for another week or two)

Okay, I'll stick around and keep trying this system. Thanks for hearing me out.

Irnbru

I think it also depends heavily what kind of healers you are rolling as well when you take all of this into account. We are three healing all of our stuff with a druid, monk, and myself the paladin. Im spot healing like crazy, and mastery/spirit has been the main thing I've been going towards. I just haven't felt any crazy benefit from int. Though I do do int food. But I've been going for spirit flask. Might try int flask see how I goes. Averaging 55k+ hps right now. Don't have toooooo many mana problems. Though I do run on fumes the last 30 seconds of each fight :p. Also tailoring spirit back is <3 ( we are 2/whatever vaults. )

FLEABttn

Banned
Okay, I'll stick around and keep trying this system. Thanks for hearing me out.

Well, good on you for sticking it out. I want to expand upon Entropia's post with a little personal anecdote.

I was on a low population server in vanilla. Around the start of AQ40, there were two bleeding edge guilds (about as bleeding edge as one could realistically be on this server) and about 3 guilds that were half a tier to a tier behind in progress. One of the two guilds split and ended up having to recruit half a raid, but they ended up doing so from the lesser progressed of the other raid guilds, and personal friends who were seen as reliable (but fresh 60s) to do so.

In order to get these people geared up enough for AQ40, they had to run MC, BWL, ZG, and AQ20 every week. To keep the geared people happy, 3 nights a week were spent on progression in AQ40, even if half the raid's gear didn't support that.

A few months of this seriously burnt out the raid. These people (myself included) were raiding like it was a fulltime job. And people quit the game and transferred off the server because the constant raid gear grind was killing their morale and desire to play.

There are some people who thrive in that kind of environment but I'd say that most don't, so limiting your progress artificially is a way that Blizzard can prevent you from burning yourself out and never playing their game again out of anger.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just take the socket bonuses at all times because I'm not a super hardcore player and don't really care.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I just take the socket bonuses at all times because I'm not a super hardcore player and don't really care.

Eh, some are REALLY bad. That's why you see some folks gemming out of it.

E: I ignored socket bonuses all the time when I was trying to get my prismatic (?) gem to engage. The ones where you needed a certain number of a certain color gem to make it work? Yeah...That's the other time you would gem out of bonus.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So I hit 90 last week and have been doing my normal re-fill of my Loremaster/Quest achieves. I am a completest for that stuff every patch/expansion...lol.

I am sitting at 436 ilevel without trying.

Rest fo my guild is gearing up to start raid stuff soon.

My question is, is gearing up to at least LFR level fairly quick (liek can I do it within a few days if I get lucky drops?) or should I start sooner to give myself more time.

This is my "none of my armor matches now and I am too lazy to transmog" Mage...

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/shadowsong/Eonix/simple

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I hit 90 last week and have been doing my normal re-fill of my Loremaster/Quest achieves. I am a completest for that stuff every patch/expansion...lol.

I am sitting at 436 ilevel without trying.

Rest fo my guild is gearing up to start raid stuff soon.

My question is, is gearing up to at least LFR level fairly quick (liek can I do it within a few days if I get lucky drops?) or should I start sooner to give myself more time.

This is my "none of my armor matches now and I am too lazy to transmog" Mage...

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/shadowsong/Eonix/simple

PvP gear + crafted should help. My guild is going to hook me up once I hit 90 - you should see if your guild can assist you.

mileS

Starting to get pissed off. Hours and hours of que's since yesterday morning and its literally impossible for me to get in a LFR that isn't 1/3 or 2/3.

Yoshichan

edit: LOL, nevermind. Me getting trolled.

scarlet halls is up alreadyb on both YouTube and twitch. tv/theyanger.can't link till i get home

Ugh looks like the difference between 1 second and 50 seconds of margin of error for the Gold in Palace is the RNG. And whether or not you have melee to worry about in the mogu packs and the final boss. Super lame.

Yoshichan

Kripp is saying the first three bosses on HM = derp and a face roller-coaster

But Kungen is saying otherwise! Who I am to believe?!

Hj4Ok.jpg

TheYanger

oh wow you can pull the houndmaster and the dogs and throw the bucket when you have threat on them, we were trying to lead and aim the bucket while they were patting rofl

Sounds like spirit is pretty awesome if you get 2x it versus int though, I guess if spirit flasks were 2000 spirit they might be better. Gemming pure spirit is still fine eh?

I'm home now, sorry. Yeah guess you found the halls video. We were derpin left and right and got a really good time, easily beatable (and has been beaten since) so I consider that one quite easy, only took us like an hour and a half to learn (but to be fair, Gate took me HOURS cause it's that initial barrier mentality you have to break through to start cranking em out).

You have to stand in melee with the dogs until they start the 'eating' animation too or they keep coming.
That one that added during the boss fight has done that several times, it's oneo f the chained ones that just breaks loose for some reason. Sometimes it comes after the boss and we kill it while the dogs are eating the shield guys, it's just buggy I think.

Yoshichan

Seriously considering jumping back in to WoW, against my better judgement. Are they still doing scrolls of resurrection?
Yep!

Yoshichan

Kungen is super frustrated right now :( I feel him.

TheYanger

I'm home now, sorry. Yeah guess you found the halls video. We were derpin left and right and got a really good time, easily beatable (and has been beaten since) so I consider that one quite easy, only took us like an hour and a half to learn (but to be fair, Gate took me HOURS cause it's that initial barrier mentality you have to break through to start cranking em out).

You have to stand in melee with the dogs until they start the 'eating' animation too or they keep coming.
That one that added during the boss fight has done that several times, it's oneo f the chained ones that just breaks loose for some reason. Sometimes it comes after the boss and we kill it while the dogs are eating the shield guys, it's just buggy I think.

http://www.twitch.tv/theyanger/videos?kind=highlights
I've clipped highlights for every instance except Stormstout which we're working on and should get today. It helps a LOT to have videos. I'm not too proud to admit we watched any we could, even if we didn't follow the same strats as everyone else all the time, your group comp affects certain things in that way. Even still, we found just having beast DPS was the biggest help with finishing fast. Also, you never CC anything (saw you mentioned CC earlier). We would have CC'ed the last pull in Niuzao in hindsight but that's it.

ampere

http://www.twitch.tv/theyanger/videos?kind=highlights
I've clipped highlights for every instance except Stormstout which we're working on and should get today. It helps a LOT to have videos. I'm not too proud to admit we watched any we could, even if we didn't follow the same strats as everyone else all the time, your group comp affects certain things in that way. Even still, we found just having beast DPS was the biggest help with finishing fast. Also, you never CC anything (saw you mentioned CC earlier). We would have CC'ed the last pull in Niuzao in hindsight but that's it.
To get gold you just can't take the time to CC things? Man there are some pulls in Shado Pan Monastery that I just don't understand how you could do with CC (ex: after Master Snowdrift with the Sha packs, some of the mobs would hit me for 200k per melee it seemed)

I'm going to take your advice and just watch lots of videos on whichever one we're going for. Some of these seem completely impossible right now, but obviously they aren't, but yeah I'll read up on them more

When can we post OT4? Now , or do we have to be at 20k?

(aka I'm whipping something up)

PM a mod or something if you are making a new OT so they don't just make a new thread without you knowing

Top Bottom