• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
RPGCrazied said:
Also, got it for 4k, A lot better than that staff I was eyeing at 22k.

It's a 359 offhand weapon, the staff you're talking about is probably a 378 one. Of course the difference is going to be huge. :p

RPGCrazied

Bisnic said:
It's a 359 offhand weapon, the staff you're talking about is probably a 378 one. Of course the difference is going to be huge. :p

At least I didn't get jipped. :p The average for it is 7,100. Least that is what Wowhead says.

Bisnic

Yeah... that's the kind of axe a enh shaman would use. No rogues want a slow weapon as their offhand.

RPGCrazied

Bisnic said:
Yeah... that's the kind of axe a enh shaman would use. No rogues want a slow weapon as their offhand.

Well, I'm a terrible player. :p Plus epic daggers go for way more than 4k I'll tell you that right now.

Still better than what I was using.

Bisnic

RPGCrazied said:
Well, I'm a terrible player. :p Plus epic daggers go for way more than 4k I'll tell you that right now.

Still, you should do ZG until you can get http://www.wowhead.com/item=69620, the item lvl is a little lower than your axe, but the speed is much faster, which will help applying your poisons a lot.

Alex

If I never see a troll dungeon again it'd be too soon. It was a good idea at first but it just wound up being agony in the end. Over and over and over the same two dungeons.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
RPGCrazied said:

My Combat Rogue alt right now has a Cruel Barb in MH (iLevel 346) from Deadmines and a Twinblade of the Hakkari Dagger in OH (iLevel 353) from Zul'Gurub. Simulationcraft shows 20814 DPS.

If I pop Maimgor's Bite in my OH, it shows 19267 DPS.

If I pop Throat Slasher into my OH (346 Dagger. 950 Justice Points from vendor), it shows 20695dps.

Sorry man, but you wasted 4k.

Alucrid

Banned
Man, I always see Hunters going "Oh, I can do 28k" and that shit blows my mind, especially when I look at their profile and it's comparable gear to mine. At the end of the night, depending on the raid, my total dps is anywhere from 20-24k, but 28 is just crazy.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Entropia said:
Relying on Sims... lolz
Stupid assumptions... lolz

I'm not gonna go buy a Maimgor's Bite and test out all three OH's when it's common knowledge slow OH's are bad and simulation can prove there will be no gain seen over the Justice off hand.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alucrid said:
Man, I always see Hunters going "Oh, I can do 28k" and that shit blows my mind, especially when I look at their profile and it's comparable gear to mine. At the end of the night, depending on the raid, my total dps is anywhere from 20-24k, but 28 is just crazy.
Excluding trash, our MM hunter is always number 1 in firelands. I don't think he's gotten to 28k, I know he's been to 26k.

Entropia

No One Remembers
It should be a matter of common sense.

I know he is new to the game, but it just irks me when people rely on "simmed data".

Just say "You don't want a slow weapon because ___", and not "You don't want it because it simmed out to 20000 DPS but this other weapon simmed to 22000 DPS".

Alex

If you're playing at the high end, using personal simulations to pick out stat weights, upgrades or just test a important odds and ends is a big plus especially considering that from patch to patch usually only the top end of heroic raiding is covered by the community and you're going off of awkward hearsay otherwise.

If all you're looking at them for is epeen garbage, you're missing out. Sadly, the stigma comes from folks going too far to correct people using them in asinine ways. They really are a great tool in the hands of someone who isn't an dolt who treats simulationcraft.org (and, as an aside, sites like raidbots, etc) like gospel.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's not really an argument but I agree with the idea of what Entropia is saying; it isn't meaningful to explain why an item sucks to someone by saying "the sim says it sucks," as opposed to saying "you should have a dagger in your offhand because of [whatever reason]"

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
It's not really an argument but I agree with the idea of what Entropia is saying; it isn't meaningful to explain why an item sucks to someone by saying "the sim says it sucks," as opposed to saying "you should have a dagger in your offhand because of [whatever reason]"
The latter was already said by Bisnic before I supplied what I did...

So... come at me.

Entropia

No One Remembers
DeathNote said:

So... come at me.

I just don't think people should live and die by simming.

I mean, I never sim and I'd consider myself a pretty high level Ele Shaman. Once you know your class well enough you should be able to look at the times that are available to you and determine which are best suited to your class.

The extent of what I do is make up a character sheet at CharDev.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Entropia said:

I mean, I never sim and I'd consider myself a pretty high level Ele Shaman. Once you know your class well enough you should be able to look at the times that are available to you and determine which are best suited to your class.

The simulationcraft application basically has a limited browser built in where you can use the battle.net community site and chardev's website to import the character data. What you do can be done in the application, the only difference is you're not spending 20 seconds clicking "import" and then "simulate".

Comparing simulated DPS, adding up stats, and testing out the combination I'm considering is important to me. I'm at the point where I spend time deciding between at least 1 piece.

I also simulate top DPSers from worldoflogs. The people who are on top all have a simulationcraft DPS value closer to the simcraft's BIS DPS value than the lowest DPSers do that are logged.

I essentially treat the DPS value as a score and then test it out in game.

Mairu

As expected... Before the threat hotfix, threat wasn't really much of an issue outside of the first few seconds of every fight except for Heroic Domo, which required a lot of control and attention on the tank and the dps. After, it's a complete joke. I welcome the change, even if it makes managing threat a nonissue now.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I think the threat issue is more about trying to fix dungeon queues by making tanking easier so more people do it. But people won't. It's about the responsibility of it, not the difficulty

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:

So... come at me.
What does Bisnic's comment have to do with yours? You're still supplying him theoretical output without a theoretical basis. It's like saying, ! + ? = 20. It's not like either your or Bisnic's comments provides any basis for him to understand what you're talking about.

I wasn't discounting that it was true

TheYanger

Then how about we sum it up: Nobody is trying to make anyone feel bad for spending money on something, but people should realize so they don't make mistakes in the future: Slow offhands are EXTREMELY bad for rogues, to the point that vastly weaker faster weapons are superior in most situations. This is because of poison stacking/application rate, and combat potency. Poison is less important for combat spec, but potency is one of your main sources of energy regen as combat (mutilate wouldn't evenw ork with it so I'd assume most assassination rogues would figure it out). It's effectively turning offhand white damage (autoattacks) into mainhand yellow damage (Sinister strikes/eviscerates/whatever you need).

To call simming wrong is simply BAD. Sorry, but you're not remotely near the top of your game if you can't understand the value of sims, spreadsheets, and theorycraft. Not everyone has to be, but most people who aren't have the sense to accept that fact and not stick their nose in it. Sims can be WRONG, but the act of simming things is never BAD. or the wrong thing to do. Rogue weapon speed isn't some grand mystery which is hard to model in a simulation, so why try to question the data.

DeathNote said:
i'm seeing some fireland boss nerfs too

Seems to be mostly normal modes... since they weren't easy enough already and all.

Well, here we go... we did this fight tonight so I can tell you...
Lord Rhyolith
The explosion damage radius of each Magma Meteor just before Lord Rhyolith should now more closely match their spell effect visuals. (trash)
Volcanoes should no longer emit plumes of smoke while they are dormant. (heroic + normal)
Concussive Stomp should no longer knock nearby players back. (heroic + normal)
Magma Flow lines are now 30 yards long, down from 40 yards. (not sure)
Rhyolith now activates volcanoes less often on normal difficulty. (normal)
Stepping on an active volcano now removes 16 stacks of armor, up from 10. (normal)

Angry Grimace

TheYanger said:
Then how about we sum it up: Nobody is trying to make anyone feel bad for spending money on something, but people should realize so they don't make mistakes in the future: Slow offhands are EXTREMELY bad for rogues, to the point that vastly weaker faster weapons are superior in most situations. This is because of poison stacking/application rate, and combat potency. Poison is less important for combat spec, but potency is one of your main sources of energy regen as combat (mutilate wouldn't evenw ork with it so I'd assume most assassination rogues would figure it out). It's effectively turning offhand white damage (autoattacks) into mainhand yellow damage (Sinister strikes/eviscerates/whatever you need).

To call simming wrong is simply BAD. Sorry, but you're not remotely near the top of your game if you can't understand the value of sims, spreadsheets, and theorycraft. Not everyone has to be, but most people who aren't have the sense to accept that fact and not stick their nose in it. Sims can be WRONG, but the act of simming things is never BAD. or the wrong thing to do. Rogue weapon speed isn't some grand mystery which is hard to model in a simulation, so why try to question the data.
Nobody implied simming is wrong or bad, you're just trying to argue.

TheYanger

Angry Grimace said:
Nobody implied simming is wrong or bad, you're just trying to argue.

I am?

Entropia said:
Relying on Sims... lolz

Entropia said:

Angry Grimace

TheYanger said:
Completely.

Neither of those responses imply that simming is wrong or bad. The fact he doesn't use simulators doesn't mean he said simulators are wrong, just that he doesn't use them and just relies on common sense. So it begs the question who you're arguing with when you say people who say sims are wrong are bad players. Frankly, it seems like a lot of your posts are only really calculated to tell other players they are bad and/or tell us how good you are.

What Entropia and I were saying is that it provides little substantive help to a beginner who has no basis for understanding what the problem is to just say "This weapon sucks for your class."

TheYanger

Angry Grimace said:
Completely.

Neither of those responses imply that simming is wrong or bad. The fact he doesn't use simulators doesn't mean he said simulators are wrong, just that he doesn't use them and just relies on common sense. So it begs the question who you're arguing with when you say people who say sims are wrong are bad players. Frankly, it seems like a lot of your posts are only really calculated to tell other players they are bad and/or tell us how good you are.

What Entropia and I were saying is that it provides little substantive help to a beginner who has no basis for understanding what the problem is to just say "This weapon sucks for your class."

I question your ability to read and comprehend. That's not at all what he said, that's what YOU said. "SIMZ LOL" is about as hard to interpret as a reasoned argument as anything could be, so I don't know how you're doing so. A sim explanation for why something is bad is actually pretty good, you need to know NOTHING about the game to understand that the sim/spreadsheet/whatever your class uses, is giving you a lower number with one item than another, and higher numbers are better. That's absolutely all that you NEED to know, aslong as you trust your source. In addition, I JUST POSTED exactly why it was bad. Scroll back up. That's more than you've done to add to the discussion. I have no concern whether I'm good or someone else is bad, I don't even care who does or doesn't use sims, but to dismiss them as a viewpoint is ignorant and absurd.

tl;dr:
Original point was that: Sim shows dps is lower with slow offhand. (Useful information)
response: LOL SIMZ (not useful)
response: You didn't tell him why it's bad! (This was yours, also not useful info)
My response: You're wrong that sims are bad, original response, and if you want to understand why it's a bad choice, here is the reason. (Useful information)
response again: WHY YOU FIGHTIN BRO!?

Get real, I was trying to end an argument, now you're trying to bring it right back. I'm done, the rest of the people reading this thread don't want to see a dick measuring contest, and if they did then at this point I think I've said what I needed to regardless.

Bisnic

Sebulon3k said:
LOL WTF 4.3 is Deathwing already, Holy shit.

Can you copy paste official words? I can't check any video games websites at work. GAF is the only exception thankfully.

Interfectum

Patch 4.3 - Deathwing, Transmogrifier, Void Storage
Tom Chilton (Kalgan) answered a couple of questions from Gamona.de on Patch 4.3, and we got a bunch of very interesting news out of it. Patch 4.3 will feature:

New Raid - The Deathwing raid, making it very likely to be the last patch before the next expansion.
3 new 5-man instances - Including one in the Caverns of Time. (War of the Ancients was mentioned as a cataclysm instance a few years ago, but a lot of things have changed since then, who knows!)
The Transmogrifier NPC, which will let you change the appearance of any armor piece on you, while retaining the stats of your current gear. (= T12 stats, but with the Tier 2 look!)
Players won't be able to change the appearance of their armor into another armor type or class armor set, and you might have to own the armor before you can use it to swap the appearance of your existing armor.

The Void Storage is a new type of bank where players will be able to store their old armors in order to free up space in their regular bank.
The Abyssal Maw dungeon is gone for the moment, the storyline wasn't convincing enough/fitting.

Called it. There will be a new XP announced at Blizzcon.

Bisnic

Oh thank god for transmogrifier, my paladin alt was tired of wearing those troll shoulders. It was terrible with the rest of the blue T11 set.

Also, i guess Blizzard really wants to release a new expansion with a new continent fast, seeing how disappointing Cataclysm was. I'm really curious as to WHERE the Deathwing raid is. I mean, there is no "Black Temple or Icecrown Citadel" kind of building sitting there since the release of the expansion.

The two other 5 mans will probably be in the same building as the raid, just like they did with ICC i guess.

Bisnic said:
That's not good. A cross realm raid finder is stuff of nightmares.

Yeah, assuming it would work like RDF, what a terrible, terrible idea.

Maybe it will require at least 5+ to queue up, but even then, awful.

Alex

Aw, void storage makes me sad. but i guess it's a requirement, i just didn't' think they'd go all out with the customization considering how conservative they have been in the past with it.

Also, my erasing of all of my old gear in the past finally comes to bite me in the ass! Anyway, it sounds like they're finally catching up with things and they'll have to compete a little harder going forward, good times.

Incoming Tempest Keep INSTANCE SERVER UNAVAILABLE messages.

Raid finder will be great, like dungeon finder it'll only be as bad as you make it. Hopefully you can use it specifically cross realm too, if not it'd be nice just to fill up a few slots. Good for struggling casual guilds, alts, etc.

TheYanger

Transmogrifier delivers! was already collecting some gear I wanted thinking it would be like that...I think they finally realize that they NEED carrots like this that let people find things to freaking do. Farming up old gear to look how you want and be INTERESTED in what your character's visuals are is a great timesink. People want to play wow more, but the content is so limited. This, old world reputation grinds and random shit to do, this is content that basically creates itself, glad they finally realize it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hey all,

Question. I just started a new hunter and am on level 20 now. My pet doesn't seem to be keeping aggro. Every battle I get in they attack my pet until I shoot them and then they sprint at me.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is it just low level stuff?

idlewild_

Deadly Cyclone said:
Hey all,

Question. I just started a new hunter and am on level 20 now. My pet doesn't seem to be keeping aggro. Every battle I get in they attack my pet until I shoot them and then they sprint at me.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is it just low level stuff?

make sure to turn growl on and cower off autocast. in case you have not played a pet class before, the ability will be ringed in a dotted golden flashing line if it is on autocast.

Miletius

The Void storage concept is also interesting, as it allows us to amass virtual 'collections' of gear as well.

At any rate, I'll be rocking Malefic -- The visual effect on it is amazing, and pretty unique. T4 lock is really cool too -- I'll need to rerun Kara though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
idlewild_ said:
make sure to turn growl on and cower off autocast. in case you have not played a pet class before, the ability will be ringed in a dotted golden flashing line if it is on autocast.

Hmm, ok, will do thanks!

Also, what is the best Hunter talent tree to use? A friend suggested to start with Survival, but I kind of like the look of Beast Mastery...

Interfectum

Deadly Cyclone said:
Hmm, ok, will do thanks!

Also, what is the best Hunter talent tree to use? A friend suggested to start with Survival, but I kind of like the look of Beast Mastery...

I love the survival tree. Fun rotations, great utility, etc.

1. everyone wears current tier
2. Blizzard lets people change appearance
3. the vast majority will still be wearing the same tier, people will mass up on the cool tiers.

(I'm thinking either Tier 2, Tier 5 or Tier 7 for my Druid)

Top Bottom