• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Alex said:
As expected, there's quite a few angry threads about the function. People demanding it not go in or demanding opt-out checkboxes :lol
Opt...out? Just don't use it, right?

DeathNote said:
How do you get it as a horde?
Imperial Plate armor is a blacksmith crafted item. It used to be kind of a pain to get (because it cost a lot of thorium to buy) but it's just a trainer item now.

If you use the Grand Marshal's Shield Wall and Grand Marshal's Longsword, you will look identical to a Stormwind Guard.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Angry Grimace said:
Opt...out? Just don't use it, right?

From what i've seen... people don't want to do heroics with the healer or the mage wearing santa suit or tuxedos, because its not RP enough for them. Yeah.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bisnic said:
From what i've seen... people don't want to do heroics with the healer or the mage wearing santa suit or tuxedos, because its not RP enough for them. Yeah.
Oh god the santa suit perfect idea. Maybe the pumpkin head.

Bisnic

I'm not sure if these will work though, i mean this feature only works with the best armor type you can use right? Aren't most special costumes cloth or with no type at all?

Angry Grimace

Bisnic said:
I'm not sure if these will work though, i mean this feature only works with the best armor type you can use right? Aren't most special costumes cloth or with no type at all?
The pumpkin head is cloth, at least. I still got one :lol

Most of them have no type, though. My Warrior is going to be using The Stoppable Force combined with the Ahn'Qiraj-40 plate set.

Pollux

I'm a lvl 83 BM hunter, tell me how to increase my DPS because right now i'm terrible....please, i'm terrible at this PVP stuff and it's what I enjoy the most.

will post link to my profile toon asap.

My toon

Alex

Sadly, I hear the items have to have stats to use them. So no santa suit or easter garb.

That's probably for the best though, it'd be funny seeing Santa MT the raid for awhile but too many people would do it.

Bunny ears though! If I had an Orc and the option, Bunny Ears + Mooncloth Robe, ho!

Oddly a lot of the sets I am interested in making are fairly tame. Small shoulders, simple matching leveling gear, etc. I like the current, standard honor gear for Shaman, the tan and purple stuff, but I dont have it I have a mix of the damn current arena stuff and last seasons. Argh.

I'm mostly happy that now I can wear armor that fits my tastes, which is more simple and earthly. A lot of the more crazy tiered attire im not as into, though if I still played my Priest I certainly would be rocking T5 for a long time.

I'm a lvl 83 BM hunter, tell me how to increase my DPS because right now i'm terrible.

Don't worry about it until you hit 85, then hit up EJ or something to get some grounding and tips.

http://elitistjerks.com/f74/

Mairu

Alex said:
Sadly, I hear the items have to have stats to use them. So no santa suit or easter garb.
There has to still be a way to be able to identify players in pvp unless the transmogrification just doesn't do anything in bgs/arenas

Alex

Yeah, I'm cool with it in the end, but I will NOT be cool with it if they wind up blocking this out of PvP altogether like I've seen some demands for. That would be insanely lame.

Angry Grimace

Alex said:

That's probably for the best though, it'd be funny seeing Santa MT the raid for awhile but too many people would do it.

Bunny ears though! If I had an Orc and the option, Bunny Ears + Mooncloth Robe, ho!

Oddly a lot of the sets I am interested in making are fairly tame. Small shoulders, simple matching leveling gear, etc. I like the current, standard honor gear for Shaman, the tan and purple stuff, but I dont have it I have a mix of the damn current arena stuff and last seasons. Argh.

I'm mostly happy that now I can wear armor that fits my tastes, which is more simple and earthly. A lot of the more crazy tiered attire im not as into, though if I still played my Priest I certainly would be rocking T5 for a long time.

Don't worry about it until you hit 85, then hit up EJ or something to get some grounding and tips.

http://elitistjerks.com/f74/
Hallowed Helm has 12 armor :lol
My guys would be wearing if I had the time to farm the sets:

Warlock: Tier 5
Paladin: Season 8 PVP or Lightbringer (harder to get the whole set though)
Death Knight: ?
Warrior: T6 if I have time to get it
Rogue: Bloodfang
Priest: Runecloth robes and a matching priest looking hat if I can find one.

This really is like barbie dress up time, isn't it

Mairu said:
There has to still be a way to be able to identify players in pvp unless the transmogrification just doesn't do anything in bgs/arenas
The lettering and nameplate over their heads

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
zmoney said:
I'm a lvl 83 BM hunter, tell me how to increase my DPS because right now i'm terrible....please, i'm terrible at this PVP stuff and it's what I enjoy the most.

My toon

As a hunter you only want items with agility and stamina on them.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/61488
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/61467
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/39481
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/65838

Those items don't help out your DPS.

Alex

Angry Grimace said:
Hallowed Helm has 12 armor :lol
My guys would be wearing if I had the time to farm the sets:

Warlock: Tier 5
Paladin: Season 8 PVP or Lightbringer (harder to get the whole set though)
Death Knight: ?
Rogue: Bloodfang
Priest: Runecloth robes and a matching priest looking hat if I can find one.

The lettering and nameplate over their heads

It's shameless how much fun it is just to pick random shit out. This system will breathe more life into the game than it honestly has any right to, heh.

I'm going through WoWhead stuff and picking out items now.

I remember loving how http://www.wowhead.com/item=43085 looked, if I was rocking a Warrior or a Paladin I'd probably use that visual a lot.

You will not be able to transmogrify using a legendary item as either the source or the recipient of a change.

What the fuck? Lameness already setting in. I don't even HAVE a legendary but c'mon, let the people who earned them display them.

Also, the WoW forums have plenty of shit like this:

The realism and immersion are poorer for this change :(

Apparently realism and immersion involve everyone looking like clones of each other in 4~ month cycles.

Angry Grimace

Mairu said:
PvP visual profiles are about as relevant as a new Black Sabbath album

Alex said:
It's shameless how much fun it is just to pick random shit out. This system will breathe more life into the game than it honestly has any right to, heh.

I'm going through WoWhead stuff and picking out items now.

I remember loving how http://www.wowhead.com/item=43085 looked, if I was rocking a Warrior or a Paladin I'd probably use that visual a lot.

What the fuck? Lameness already setting in. I don't even HAVE a legendary but c'mon, let the people who earned them display them.
Meh, not that bad. People would be tripping all over themselves to grab Warglaives if they could do this. I can't really understand why you can't transmogrify transmogrify shadowmourne into the stoppable force though. Would be hilarious

Alex

I just hope when this thing launches it doesn't have like a million restrictions. I'm not asking to wear twill and bunny ears but if I have to use epics or set pieces in the end I'm gonna be disappointed.

I guess they did use Black mageweave as an example though, so I'm probably worrying too much.

Angry Grimace said:

T6 Warrior looks pretty good. I can't remember, but I think I'm more fond of T2 Warrior if I remember correctly. Gah - I'll have to look through all the old sets now and pick out dream pieces.

T10 Warrior was pretty awesome as well. Always wanted the shoulders off Gunship for my DK - ended up with the Heroic Version first (DK Model).

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Someone needs to make a dressing room that let's you browse through unique models on your race and then lists the items that share the model.

Right now I have to choose one by one on wowhead

suzu

zmoney said:

My toon
- Maybe try a Marksmanship spec.
- Also get dual spec so you can switch between whatever you feel like playing.
- Only use gear that has Agility and Stamina.

Alucrid

Banned
suzu said:
- Maybe try a Marksmanship spec.
- Also get dual spec so you can switch between whatever you feel like playing.
- Only use gear that has Agility and Stamina.

Heeeeeeeeeyyyyyooooo. Well, the guild whose secondary run of FL I've been in just asked me to switch with the hunter in their main progressive group due to time constraints on him. They're 6/7, pretty awesome.

Sorry if I seem overly antagonistic towards BM hunters. Old habits die hard.

burgerdog

Strafer said:
Anyone got http://www.wowhead.com/item=30480 ?

I must have done Kara 100+ times and it never drops. Unlucky bastard.

Well, gotta keep trying. :p

Yes, as a matter of fact I got it yesterday.

Av8GU.jpg

Never saw it when I was raiding Karazhan for progression. I did it perhaps once a month since resubbing for Cataclysm, so it took less than eight kills. Totally random, of course, you could do it for a year straight and never see it. Good luck.

zmoney said:

My toon

like the other posters have said agility, agility, agility.

you missing out on some good damage boosting talents too. like Focus Fire, and One With Nature

here is a better talent build for BM. http://www.wowhead.com/talent#cfhfckhdRRofMZc

you can check these links out to help get more dps. the wow forums have some good guides but no BM guide is available yet. although they should have some good info like EP values, rotations and macros.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1012664/
http://www.wowpopular.com/

As a DK I was never super-inclined to go after that mount since the deathcharger is very similar. I may go after it casually since I've never stepped foot in Karazhan myself and there is a rep in there I need. If I don't get it on the DK while going after rep, I may go after it with an alt, but usually I try to focus all my extraneous effort for achievements and the like on the DK which has been my main.

Would I like to main another character/class? Sure, but you would either need account-wide achievements, the ability to transfer achievements, or class changing to convince me to truly drop the DK as my main. I simply have too much invested/legacy Feats of Strength to not want to do stuff on him now. It's kind of unfortunate really, but I imagine that it's a problem that's being worked on and we'll get something eventually to change classes/transfer achievements.

Angry Grimace

CarbonatedFalcon said:
As a DK I was never super-inclined to go after that mount since the deathcharger is very similar. I may go after it casually since I've never stepped foot in Karazhan myself and there is a rep in there I need. If I don't get it on the DK while going after rep, I may go after it with an alt, but usually I try to focus all my extraneous effort for achievements and the like on the DK which has been my main.

Would I like to main another character/class? Sure, but you would either need account-wide achievements, the ability to transfer achievements, or class changing to convince me to truly drop the DK as my main. I simply have too much invested/legacy Feats of Strength to not want to do stuff on him now. It's kind of unfortunate really, but I imagine that it's a problem that's being worked on and we'll get something eventually to change classes/transfer achievements.
I got Rivendare's Deathcharger on my Death Knight in 12 runs
smiley_smug.gif

Angry Grimace said:
I got Rivendare's Deathcharger on my Death Knight in 12 runs
smiley_smug.gif

Done that at least 20 times or so (most before they nerfed the gate trick) without Rivendare's Mount in sight :(

Funny in that it's one of the easier things to farm for DKs having a port back to Acherous to get out of the dungeon and try again quickly.

And about the raid finder...

I think it was inevitable after the dungeon finder working so well, but I'm still wary of how it will turn out. Best case scenario? Meeting up with a mostly guild run, filling your role well and having a good time with the group - being recruited to said guild. Worst-case? Well, we've all seen how some dungeon finder runs can end up...

Fully-constructed/organized guild groups will of course always have the advantage, as with dungeon runs, so even if it doesn't turn out well, having the option there is nice. I think the feature was preceded a bit by the change to the way that raid lockouts work, being on a per-boss basis rather than raid-wide (though I still think that's a bit weird and doesn't accomplish what it was supposed to...)

Anyway, I'll definitely re-sub for at least a month for 4.3 to see what's up, and play a month or two before the next expansion (if I'm still interested in WoW) to get in on all the goodies that they usually have as pre-expansion limited content.

Angry Grimace

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Done that at least 20 times or so (most before they nerfed the gate trick) without Rivendare's Mount in sight :(

Funny in that it's one of the easier things to farm for DKs having a port back to Acherous to get out of the dungeon and try again quickly.

And about the raid finder...

I think it was inevitable after the dungeon finder working so well, but I'm still wary of how it will turn out. Best case scenario? Meeting up with a mostly guild run, filling your role well and having a good time with the group - being recruited to said guild. Worst-case? Well, we've all seen how some dungeon finder runs can end up...

Fully-constructed/organized guild groups will of course always have the advantage, as with dungeon runs, so even if it doesn't turn out well, having the option there is nice. I think the feature was preceded a bit by the change to the way that raid lockouts work, being on a per-boss basis rather than raid-wide (though I still think that's a bit weird and doesn't accomplish what it was supposed to...)

Anyway, I'll definitely re-sub for at least a month for 4.3 to see what's up, and play a month or two before the next expansion (if I'm still interested in WoW) to get in on all the goodies that they usually have as pre-expansion limited content.
I have Kael'thas bird too, that was about 14 runs.

McNei1y

My warlock is going to be wearing the ugliest shit ever. I'm going to have him wearing one of those low level top hats and such. I want him to look so ridiculous. I can't wait! Maybe I should get Thunderfury and replace my Volcanospike with it.

I'm pretty upset about 4.3 though. Why can't Deathwing be in a 4.4 patch? I really wanted to see either N'Zoth or a War of the Ancients RAID (5 man sounds cool though). I can probably bet one of the other 5 mans will be AQ20. I'm also upset they dropped another Abyssal Maw. I wanted to know the deal with the giant Octopus guy. Raid Finder is a good idea but it will probably be executed terribly. I hope they have great things in mind for it because I won't have time to raid on scheduled days come the next few months.

Angry Grimace said:
I have Kael'thas bird too, that was about 14 runs.

Bah, another one I don't have.

Well, I'm pretty sure Anzu was less than 30-40 for me. Zulian Tiger took me about 2-3 months so about 30 runs of that at most?

Those are the only two rare drop ones I have off the top of my head, but they're my favorites.

Alex

Raven Lord and Dark Phoenix are my favorite mounts in the game. So for my Shaman at least, I doubt I'll ever chase another unless something super special (and not dragon-like in any damn way) pops up.

Angry Grimace

Alex said:
Raven Lord and Dark Phoenix are my favorite mounts in the game. So for my Shaman at least, I doubt I'll ever chase another unless something super special (and not dragon-like in any damn way) pops up.
I'd blow a dead bear for Ashes of Al'ar

Alex

I used to duo Kael with a friend early in the expack but once we got the Dark Phoenix I stopped. I like purple/blue more than red/orange, myself.

SteveWD40

Anyone know if the "7 days free to re-sub" thing expires?

I was mooching about on Bnet the other day and it showed up on the WoW site, I tried again yesterday and I couldn't see it anywhere, tried going through all the account pages and no joy.

Considering playing again but not up for paying...yet.

zugzug

You know its sorta funny how people are saying "I am fine with Deathwing coming I'm done with this expansion the bosses have been boring Deathwing hasn't even been an impact I am ready for the next expansion lets just move on start over wash the stale taste out"

I say to those people....how will things change its the same bad C team working on WoW. The same bad quest writers, the same bad gear artists, the same bad team deciding to give everything away with badge gear, the same flawed game design decisions made in the game.

Beyond that. I watched a JTV stream tonight of the guild "Huge in Japan" on Kil'jaeden server where their Druid got the legendary completed and turned it in big quest turn in event flying above Stormwind. So it was really cool to see an appreciate, made me sad even if I had not quit WoW I know my bad server would not have completed it in my faction. Until after its nerfed to fucking stupidty and not meaningful anymore.

So many people posting on MMO-champ forums that they are ok with this Deathwing is coming, 3 new 5mans which last for 2 weeks and then are over with imo.

I just do not get all the defenders of WoW.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
zugzug said:
Beyond that. I watched a JTV stream tonight of the guild "Huge in Japan" on Kil'jaeden server where their Druid got the legendary completed and turned it in big quest turn in event flying above Stormwind. So it was really cool to see an appreciate, made me sad even if I had not quit WoW I know my bad server would not have completed it in my faction. Until after its nerfed to fucking stupidty and not meaningful anymore.
Pretty dumb comment. A guild clearing Firelands normal and collecting the mats before the tier is over is not a huge feat. The people getting it now are the best guilds in the world.

zugzug said:
I just do not get all the defenders of WoW.
I don't get the people who dislike it so much, quit, and still follow news and want it to become something amazing after they realize either the quality talent is largely gone or the alleged on-par talent that took their place is under preforming and no sign of improving. There's a lot of bitching in this thread and the wow forums on a daily basis.

You can still have fun in wow despite everyone's list of shit they dislike and would like the MMO genre to improve on.

There's no gun forcing millions of people to play. The good must outweigh the bad. New expansions are always exciting.

Bisnic

People just want a new continent like Outland or Northrend i think.

Having 4 seperate zones(not gonna count Vashjir, no one goes there after completing the quests) on the same old continents with the same old cities for high lvls is not as cool and engaging as having a fully fresh continent. I think it killed the game a lot more than most people think.

TheYanger

And yet...people still play. I think that's his point. The game is still a good game, just not nearly as good as it used to be. When good new features are announced it doesn't mean we should all be so cynical as to just assume they're going to suck

Alex

My only complaint with the game remains the world design, especially in Cataclysm. We're getting a new continent with a central theme next expansion, so that's improvement, but I'd still really like to see them devise some methods to actually get capped folks out and about in it. Sitting in hubs got to be really bad with BC and has just gotten worse every expansion.

Other than that, I feel the content is fine, encounter, quest and class design tends to be better, it's just an old game and this has been a very... random and skimpy expansion that I still blame on the pointless, enormous revamp of Azeroth taking time away from development that actually mattered.

4.3 features, finishing off Cataclysm, getting into a new core theme and not having to worry about end game content fighting for dev time with fucking 1-60 makes me genuinely excited for the first time in a long while. I'll unsub for awhile before the next expansion and probably before 4.3 as well, but I did that for BC and LK as well.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
before cataclysm, there were so many people pining for the ability to "go back to azeroth" and now that they delivered on that, everyone is complaining that it's not new enough.

wtf did you expect if they were going to revamp the two continents?

this expansion might be a wash as far as that goes, but the raids have been really fun and cool, albeit a little skimpy when it came to the amount of firelands bosses. but this expansion is designed with heroic encounters.

TheYanger

davepoobond said:
before cataclysm, there were so many people pining for the ability to "go back to azeroth" and now that they delivered on that, everyone is complaining that it's not new enough.

wtf did you expect if they were going to revamp the two continents?

this expansion might be a wash as far as that goes, but the raids have been really fun and cool, albeit a little skimpy when it came to the amount of firelands bosses. but this expansion is designed with heroic encounters.

Expected there to be meaningful content in addition to a revamp, of course.

Alex

I didn't ask for Azeroth to be redone, what the heck do I want with 1-60 content that lasts a week in a seven year old game? Especially when it's followed by BC and LK that I've already done enough as is.

Thousands of quests with new tech and story, landscape remodeling, like 6 hours of music and I've spent 1% of my Cataclysm play time in it. No one in my guild ever uses it, no friends I know ever uses it. All the zones are empty and rotting while people are all in Storm/Org and instances.

It's a nice idea in theory until you realize what it takes away from the development. If they wanted to redo Azeroth it should have had functionality for capped players as well just besides doing quests for the sake of it.

As is, it would have been better to simply streamline it/allow folks to skip it and using the time and money on new features and content that the player base will actually use.

One issue I wonder upon in the future is, with this being such an absurdly end game focused title, if leveling won't become just too much for some people. Even with increased speed you'll have Azeroth, Outland, Northrend, Weird Segmented Rushjob Azeroth then possibily Panderia or whatever is next. Some people just wanna catch up and play with their friends, I assume.

90+ levels of content in a game with almost entirely empty zones even on full and locked population servers is probably kind of offputting to the newer playerbase they want to bring in.

I'm going to assume level matching that they talked about might be something they add in the expansion though, that's something at least.

Alucrid

Banned
Wow. I just started tanking and right now (level 21) it's actually really fun, especially since with all the hierlooms I'm pretty op.

I enjoyed the remade Azeroth when I went back to get Loremaster/level an alt.

Ultimately though, for content that takes a matter or days to fly through, was it worth all of the resources for that?

Also, Horde Kalimdor was pretty lackluster compared to EK, but that was just my opinion.

Alex

Especially when it's broken up in such a way. They may have been better off redoing it as 1-80 with optional BC and LK as Flash Backs. Could've set a more consistent pace from 1-85 by doing that too.

Top Bottom