• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Sullen

I got an email from Blizzard saying my email account for my battlenet account has been changed to some random yahoo mail account that isn't mine and that a confirmation email has been sent to that account. It said if I didn't request that to contact their support, but when I try to use their web support it wants my battlenet info which has been changed. Do I need to call Blizzard? If so, how do I prove the account is mine? The weirdest thing about this is I haven't played WoW or logged into my account for at least 6 months.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Didn't there used to be a website where you could view your character in various armor sets?

EDIT : Nvm...just use WoWhead 3D viewer ;P

Newfolder

Neo Member
Blizzard should really find us a solution to this abusive kicking that is going on strongly on heroic instances.

Just 5 minutes ago I did Heroic Zul'Gurb with my hunter , i had the most dps through the run with around 35% of total damage. One thing led to another and then we get wiped on Jin'Do the god breaker. Then one of the party members complained that I did not set my pet on aggressive on second phase, which led to our wipe. I tried explaining that since 4.2 there is no aggressive stance, but then I found myself removed from group.

It is very frustrating to play in these instances especially as hunter, as you get blamed for almost everything, and you get assigned to do everything (staying on top dps charts, handling adds, kiting, and even mass ressing).

Sorry for QQ, but that really got to me.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just realized how many badass looking weapons there is from the BC 5 mans. Most of them have unique models. I will have a lot of farming to do until 4.3 is released.

Alucrid

Banned
Newfolder said:
Blizzard should really find us a solution to this abusive kicking that is going on strongly on heroic instances.

Just 5 minutes ago I did Heroic Zul'Gurb with my hunter , i had the most dps through the run with around 35% of total damage. One thing led to another and then we get wiped on Jin'Do the god breaker. Then one of the party members complained that I did not set my pet on aggressive on second phase, which led to our wipe. I tried explaining that since 4.2 there is no aggressive stance, but then I found myself removed from group.

It is very frustrating to play in these instances especially as hunter, as you get blamed for almost everything, and you get assigned to do everything (staying on top dps charts, handling adds, kiting, and even mass ressing).

Mmm. I've never been kicked from a group as my hunter, but yeah, you can't really solo the amount of adds on Jindo, I mean, every dps should be doing it when not killing chains. Really that fight depends on the whole group knowing what to do, so just remember that they probably wiped a few more times after kicking you.

Mulberry

get on their website and call the support number, you've been hacked. Give them your old info and they should be able to help you.

Bisnic said:
I just realized how many badass looking weapons there is from the BC 5 mans. Most of them have unique models. I will have a lot of farming to do until 4.3 is released.

Yeah, people look back on the zones now and talk about how they were terrible in TBC, but really the quality of dungeons and raids was pretty good. Lots of content available at launch, respectable difficulty jump for heroics, lots of work put into gear and models, even a couple world bosses.

There was a lot to like in Wrath as well, but looking back TBC was really quite good.

Newfolder said:

Eh. I feel bad for you, but I can't say I want kick to be more restrictive than it already is. Last time I was subbed, it was enormously hard to kick really bad players because of the one million different restrictions. Each time you resolved one restriction, another would hilariously present itself underneath (you cannot kick this player during or shortly after combat. you cannot kick this player during or shortly after combat. you cannot kick this player during or shortly after combat.

you cannot kick this player for another 2 hours and 13 minutes. Sorry!)

Alex

The kick timer is way too harsh, I feel bad for decent people who get kicked and that could use a work around, but yeah, after a couple of kicks even spread out you shoot up to a 2hr timer, permanently, and it's kind of stupid.

TheYanger

Alex said:
The kick timer is way too harsh, I feel bad for decent people who get kicked and that could use a work around, but yeah, after a couple of kicks even spread out you shoot up to a 2hr timer, permanently, and it's kind of stupid.

that's because THEY have been kicked a lot. your personal timer resets reasonably quickly.I kick people ALL the time, I never have issues because of my personal timer.

Xtyle

So I stopped play early January and just started couple days ago.
I started tanking the Zandalari dungeons and you know what's what with people? They go in with their PVP gears. Healers and DPS, and not even gemmed or enchanted for most pieces...now this isn't new, though these 2 dungeons aren't exactly faceroll. Do people just queue LFG hopping to be carried? It is only when the group keeps wipping that I started inspecting their gears. I really find there's something blizzard should do here. For example, you can't queue up with PVP gears and you can't switch to PVP gears inside. how about that?

TheYanger

People fail because they're bad, not because of their gear. Newer pvp gear is probably better than the 346 blues that they could alternatively queue with,t o be completely honest.

Pollux

bigben85 said:
I started tanking the Zandalari dungeons and you know what's what with people? They go in with their PVP gears. Healers and DPS, and not even gemmed or enchanted for most pieces...now this isn't new, though these 2 dungeons aren't exactly faceroll. Do people just queue LFG hopping to be carried? It is only when the group keeps wipping that I started inspecting their gears. I really find there's something blizzard should do here. For example, you can't queue up with PVP gears and you can't switch to PVP gears inside. how about that?
Can I ask you something? How long have you been playing WOW? Maybe instead of bitching about how bad all the new players are you could offer some constructive criticism. I've only been playing for a few months and I'm still figuring it all out, and when I screw up and get kicked from a group, well, how does that help me know what I did wrong or how to fix it for the next time?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
bigben85 said:
lol

zmoney said:
Can I ask you something? How long have you been playing WOW? Maybe instead of bitching about how bad all the new players are you could offer some constructive criticism. I've only been playing for a few months and I'm still figuring it all out, and when I screw up and get kicked from a group, well, how does that help me know what I did wrong or how to fix it for the next time?
Don't listen to assholes that don't know what the real problem is.

Alucrid

Banned
bigben85 said:

I loved this one healer I got in full honor gear who kept running out of mana half way into the fight. I mean, really now...

Bisnic

Alucrid said:
I loved this one healer I got in full honor gear who kept running out of mana half way into the fight. I mean, really now...

I have no problem with DPS using PVP gear since you barely need hit rating in 5 mans anyway, but healers and tanks with resilience and no spirit/dodge/parry? I don't want them. Especially if its blue PVP gear. I had the same healer as you the other day probably. And it was one of the original, easier, heroic and she still went OOM every 2-3 fights.

FLEABttn

Banned
zmoney said:
I've only been playing for a few months and I'm still figuring it all out, and when I screw up and get kicked from a group, well, how does that help me know what I did wrong or how to fix it for the next time?

You're probably in the minority. PUGs who take constructive criticism to heart seem to be in the minority. A lot (majority?) either:

-Don't care when they're fucking up, for whatever reason
-Don't think they're fucking up, for whatever reason
-Think that you're just trying to boss them around, so they get all indignant over being told where they can improve
-Don't listen to someone because they doubt the source of the advice (Priest gives rogue advice on how to play, rogue shrugs it off because what does a priest know about rogues, priest explains they have a rogue main, rogue says "sure buddy" and continues to make mistakes because he doesn't believe the priest)
-The group is unable to explain how to fix the problem upon identifying it, given their unfamiliarity with (for example) the class/spec in question. If an elemental shaman is doing 1k DPS in a heroic, they're certainly doing something wrong, but I wouldn't be able for the life of me to explain how to fix it

Eventually people get tired of that and they default to kicking perceived bads with no real explanation, which is why kick messages consist of "lol, l2dps", "stop being bad", or "kill yourself".

I think Blizzard has done a terrible job, both in game and out of game, in explaining how to even play WoW at the high end or in group settings. Maybe that dungeon journal is a step in the right direction (I have no idea, I haven't played in months), but Blizz really hasn't been good about creating tutorials or tools that explain how to play past like level 10.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Bisnic said:
I have no problem with DPS using PVP gear since you barely need hit rating in 5 mans anyway, but healers and tanks with resilience and no spirit/dodge/parry? I don't want them. Especially if its blue PVP gear. I had the same healer as you the other day probably. And it was one of the original, easier, heroic and she still went OOM every 2-3 fights.
346 (346 JP and some heroic) VS epic PVP healing gear:
(Priest; no enchants, reforges, or gems on either set):
The PVP gear has...
13k more mana
1159 more spell power
250 less spirit
The same combat regen
3 less mastery
4% less haste

I think they will do fine in troll heroics.

Bisnic

That's why i mentioned especially the blue PVP set. You know, the one professions makes. Of course 371 epic PVP gear is going to be better than something PVE of 333/346 quality.

Although the lack of tanking stats might hurt.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Bisnic said:
That's why i mentioned especially the blue PVP set. You know, the one professions makes. Of course 371 epic PVP gear is going to be better than something PVE of 333/346 quality.
Nah, your wording included the 371 gear, but you said "PVP gear with no spirit" and the set I listed has spirit.

Either way my point is that other people shouldn't ask for a PVP filter when there's a viable healing set.

Tanks? The only pvp gear they can use is gimped DPS gear, which is viable as DPS as you said.

FLEABttn said:
I think Blizzard has done a terrible job, both in game and out of game, in explaining how to even play WoW at the high end or in group settings. Maybe that dungeon journal is a step in the right direction (I have no idea, I haven't played in months), but Blizz really hasn't been good about creating tutorials or tools that explain how to play past like level 10.

I think it's more or less because Blizz doesn't know. Maybe I don't give them enough credit, but it seems like they really don't know or care what the best stat priorities or ability rotations for each class are when creating gear, or tier sets, or making changes to spells or whatever. It even changes from patch to patch, it's almost better to let the kids at EJ figure it out than to publish info in-game that might be wrong in a patch.

Improving is pretty much left up to the player. Find a friendly player of your class on server and politely ask if they mind if you ask them some questions. Just be sure they're not raiding first. Or better yet join a guild with a higher average skill level, tell them you're bad but want to improve and get them to teach you a few things in ZA/ZG runs. It's easy to play and improve at WoW, but it's also a game a lot of people like to play drunk/stoned, so people that are bad are either not willing to improve or actually good and just a little off at the time.

Xtyle

zmoney said:

Then you are not someone I would want to play with in random dungeon.
And Blizzard not letting PVP gear would actually help you (if you uses PVP gears on PVE) because you would know you have to get PVE gears to go in random dungeon. And yes your chances of getting kicked in that situation is higher due to low performance. That is your own damn fault for not researching just a little bit about the game.

and I have played since 2008 on and off

and to be fair, I am never someone who would initialize kicking

C.Dark.DN

Banned
wonderdung said:
I think it's more or less because Blizz doesn't know. Maybe I don't give them enough credit, but it seems like they really don't know or care what the best stat priorities or ability rotations for each class are when creating gear, or tier sets, or making changes to spells or whatever. It even changes from patch to patch, it's almost better to let the kids at EJ figure it out than to publish info in-game that might be wrong in a patch.

Improving is pretty much left up to the player. Find a friendly player of your class on server and politely ask if they mind if you ask them some questions. Just be sure they're not raiding first. Or better yet join a guild with a higher average skill level, tell them you're bad but want to improve and get them to teach you a few things in ZA/ZG runs. It's easy to play and improve at WoW, but it's also a game a lot of people like to play drunk/stoned, so people that are bad are either not willing to improve or actually good and just a little off at the time.
I don't have enough time for a longer post, but It'd be interesting to test a group of people who aren't allowed to look at third party stat priorities and rotations and see how they do in raids.

I'd also be interested in seeing how a group of developers or GMs decide on rotations and stat priorities.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
bigben85 said:
Then you are not someone I would want to play with in random dungeon.
And Blizzard not letting PVP gear would actually help you (if you uses PVP gears on PVE) because you would know you have to get PVE gears to go in random dungeon. And yes your chances of getting kicked in that situation is higher due to low performance. That is your own damn fault for not researching just a little bit about the game.

and I have played since 2008 on and off

and to be fair, I am never someone who would initialize kicking
I've been playing since 2005 and I wouldn't play with an asshole like you.

Xtyle

DeathNote said:
346 (346 JP and some heroic) VS epic PVP healing gear:
(Priest; no enchants, reforges, or gems on either set):
The PVP gear has...
13k more mana
1159 more spell power
250 less spirit
The same combat regen
3 less mastery
4% less haste

I think they will do fine in troll heroics.

if you are talking a full set...maybe. but this is usually not the case. the ones I have seen had mixes of PVE and PVP gears and about 99% of the time these were the players who gem/enchanted poorly. They are using their shitty PVE and PVP gears as a bridge to get better PVE gears, and thus, don't like gemming and enchanting their current set. Also, which item level PVP gears did you compare JP gears to?

Xtyle

DeathNote said:
I've been playing since 2005 and I wouldn't play with an asshole like you.

I actually started playing 2005 also (but never raided til 2008, tanked since 2008). How does it make me an asshole? I did random ZA 5 times through. The group weren't highly geared but decent. I then had groups that failed (we kept dying in the kitty boss) and then I inspected the some people and a healer's gears and had half PVP pieces and not gemmed or enchanted. I didn't complain about it and didn't kick. instead I left after couple tries. You calling me an asshole? seriously, that's a pretty big insult to someone who you don't know or played with.

zmoney said:

wait are you serious? i fucking hate people like you. put in the time to learn the game and don't screw up. being at 85 and not knowing the basics of the game means you're a retard and blizz should just cancel your account

Won

Saren is Bad said:
wait are you serious? i fucking hate people like you. put in the time to learn the game and don't screw up. being at 85 and not knowing the basics of the game means you're a retard and blizz should just cancel your account

What the hell.....

th3dude

Saren is Bad said:

Uh yea, you're exactly what is wrong with the game. New players like me and the OP that you replied to need all the help we can get.

Also, with how quickly you can get to 85, there isn't much time to learn anymore.

Thanks for the help. /sarcasm

Entropia

No One Remembers
ShadyMilkman said:
It is annoying how it's pretty much a requirement to read EJ or some variant in order to play decently.

So it goes.

It isn't.

Level your character -> Read what abilities and talents you get as you go -> Understand how they interact with each other -> Understand how stats interact with your abilities -> Learned to play.

I don't get why people have such a hard time and have to rely on outside sources to play. This goes back to that simming thing. But when you read over what abilities you have, what talents you have and what not, it doesn't take a genius to "get" your class and how to play it.

While I can be forgiving to people that are new, there's a strict line between "He's undergeared and knows what he's doing" and "He has completely inappropriate gear, inappropriate talents and doesn't have a proper rotation". Yes, they should be receptive to feedback and criticisms regarding their choices but a lot of them aren't. This was talked about earlier but most will get defensive and not take any advice. If they aren't willing to learn the class on their own through the game itself and not have to rely on sources then they should consider not playing.

When people rely on EJ to know what they're supposed to be doing you end up asking "Why did you do this?" and they tell you "Well, I read it on EJ."

That's all well and good but do you know WHY EJ tells you to do that? And of course, the answer is typically no. They have no clue what they're doing.

Pollux

Saren is Bad said:
Are you fucking kidding me? not all of us have all the time in the world to learn how to play this game, or have not been playing for years. I'm in the middle of law school meaning I get maybe a couple hours a week to play, and I love that time. I'm trying to learn as best I can, but it isn't a priority in my life to be the best damn hunter on my server. Sorry.

The fact that I can get to 85 in a month means that I can't learn everything there is to learn, and when people like you would rather kick us out then help, well then you have a problem. Not everyone who has been playing since 04/05 is still around, and the only way for the game to stay viable is with new players, but it seems as if you don't want us. Well if it weren't for new players then the game would get pretty damn boring pretty fast, considering that around half the people I meet on my server are new (Malygos).

Without us, there aren't a lot of people left running around, and an empty server goes a long way in killing the atmosphere in a game.

Entropia said:
It isn't.

Level your character -> Read what abilities and talents you get as you go -> Understand how they interact with each other -> Understand how stats interact with your abilities -> Learned to play.

I don't get why people have such a hard time and have to rely on outside sources to play. This goes back to that simming thing. But when you read over what abilities you have, what talents you have and what not, it doesn't take a genius to "get" your class and how to play it.
I've figured out how to play, but sometime I have general questions about WOW. And I would rather someone answer those questions so we can all move on and enjoy the game, then bitch out about it.

Entropia

No One Remembers
zmoney said:
I've figured out how to play, but sometime I have general questions about WOW. And I would rather someone answer those questions so we can all move on and enjoy the game, then bitch out about it.

That's fine. If you know how to play your class and you have the odd question about the game in general I can tolerate that.

It's when people clearly have put zero effort into understand how to play. This is an MMO, everyone has to play together it should be courtesy to know what you're doing for the benefit of your party/guild/raid/whatever.

Entropia said:
It isn't.

Well, yeah, you could play decently. But why is it going to hurt to do research on how to play better?

For example, though, a Rogue. If a Rogue doesn't do any outside research, are they going to figure out on their own what the optimal rotation is? Or that any offhand > 1.4 speed is a waste of time?

Looking up what better players are doing is only going to help yourself, so why not do it?

Xtyle

zmoney said:
The fact that I can get to 85 in a month means that I can't learn everything there is to learn, and when people like you would rather kick us out then help, well then you have a problem. Not everyone who has been playing since 04/05 is still around, and the only way for the game to stay viable is with new players, but it seems as if you don't want us. Well if it weren't for new players then the game would get pretty damn boring pretty fast, considering that around half the people I meet on my server are new (Malygos).

Without us, there aren't a lot of people left running around, and an empty server goes a long way in killing the atmosphere in a game.

To be honest, this is not the fault of other players (yes kicking you out is mean, but they are entitled to, if you do low dps, or heals, or tank). This is the fault of the random dungeon. Warrior was the only class I played and I leveled pretty much all the way to 80 anywhere from 2005 - 2008 from dungeons ( I hated questing). I tanked from 70-80. All that time there was no random dungeon around and I met other players on the server, group for dungeons etc. There was a lot to learn to play together and help each other out. However, random dungeon isn't designed to work like that, or at least people don't take it like that. People expect to go in, rush through and get out. They aren't there to teach you to play. The system doesn't encourage that, at least.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Entropia said:
It isn't.

While I can be forgiving to people that are new, there's a strict line between "He's undergeared and knows what he's doing" and "He has completely inappropriate gear, inappropriate talents and doesn't have a proper rotation". Yes, they should be receptive to feedback and criticisms regarding their choices but a lot of them aren't. This was talked about earlier but most will get defensive and not take any advice. If they aren't willing to learn the class on their own through the game itself and not have to rely on sources then they should consider not playing.

When people rely on EJ to know what they're supposed to be doing you end up asking "Why did you do this?" and they tell you "Well, I read it on EJ."

That's all well and good but do you know WHY EJ tells you to do that? And of course, the answer is typically no. They have no clue what they're doing.
Let's exclude all addons and third party websites. Tell me how you figure out stat priorities with the default UI only (excluding the obvious like hit and expertise cap).
You're only focusing on the rotation.

I'll tell you one thing, the newbs that suck bad surely don't read third party information and are learning as they go with the default UI.

But you're making an argument that you don't need third parties..

Entropia

No One Remembers
DeathNote said:
Let's exclude all addons and third party websites. Tell me how you figure out stat priorities with the default UI only (excluding the obvious like hit and expertise cap).
You're only focusing on the rotation.

I'll tell you one thing, the newbs that suck bad surely don't read third party information and are learning as they go with the default UI.

But you're making an argument that you don't need third parties..

Addons are slightly different. Take Power Auras for example. A Shadow Priest, for example who doesn't understand their class wouldn't think to make a Power Aura for when they have Empowered Shadow up and set it to do something when it's about to fade. They should have to understand the importance of the Empowered Shadow buff and realize "Oh shit, I need to make sure I have that on as much and as best as I can in a fight"

A lot of UIs can be for purely cosmetic reasons or for them to do something more efficiently, or prettier than they can with the stock UI.

Keep in mind that I didn't bring UIs into this discussion at all.

Asking what their hit and/or exp cap is fine. But they shouldn't be asking "I have a yellow gem slot - I should gem straight haste, right?". They should know that intellect is their best stat and should lean towards putting it in every gem slot that they can.

Overall the issue is when it becomes blatantly obvious they have no clue how their class operates. Like if an Elemental Shaman was letting Flame Shock fall off and continued to cast Lava Burst. Clearly they didn't understand that Lava Burst + Flame Shock = auto-crit Lava Burst.

Or as a Shadow Priest who doesn't get that even if they only have 1 Shadow Orb and their Empowered Shadow buff is about to fall off they should cast Mind Blast.

There's a lot of tells you can see if someone knows the mechanics of their class or not.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Entropia said:
Asking what their hit and/or exp cap is fine. But they shouldn't be asking "I have a yellow gem slot - I should gem straight haste, right?". They should know that intellect is their best stat and should lean towards putting it in every gem slot that they can.
Actually the default UI tells you when you reached the expertise and hit cap. That's a pretty dumb question to ask.

You're right, they shouldn't ask about primary stats.

The topic has been expanded to blizzard not explaining things well and relying too much on third parties to explain things.

I'm talking about a new player getting ready to reforge and gem and needing to figuring out secondary stat priorities in the default UI. Haste, mastery, crit. Sometimes these are before expertise.

Why would they know to only use a blue or yellow gem when there's at least 30 of a secondary stat for some specs. The piece of gear and or UI pretty much encourages you to complete the socket bonus.

Edit: With that said and going back to Expertise, the default UI pretty much encourages all melee to reach the cap, and that's not the case.

WOW relies too much on third parties. New/bad players don't read them and suck in dungeons. Veteran/bad players read them but don't learn key binds or their rotation well.

Alex

It'd probably be easier for someone to learn anything about WoW if the leveling game wasn't more akin to Mario Party played solo than an MMORPG. They should actually teach you things, have you fight tough monsters and group up in more situations instead of cutsey little minigames, vehicles or just spending the time patting the player on the back until cap.

It'd also be easier if the part of the UI that truly mattered wasn't shit and the abilities and several venues weren't designed around addons. It's odd because the game has a wonderful, extremely powerful UI in regards to everything EXCEPT combat.

Then there's the sheer convolution of it all. Do I really need 40-50 hotkeys, half of which are samey nonsense or something that's only useful in 1% of the game but I can't succeed in that 1% without it bound? It's amazing how casual this game is, to an extreme fault in spots, but in other areas it's absurdly hardcore just by merit of terrible design.

I personally don't think it's a terrible thing, folks having to go to EJ and the like, RPG + community, offline or on is kind of just a given for those who want to go above and beyond but a lot of the other stuff irks me. I've put up with it all of my raiding days for years but just now, moving on, trying other things it bugs me so much in retrospect.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alex said:
It'd probably be easier for someone to learn anything about WoW if the leveling game wasn't more akin to Mario Party played solo than an MMORPG. If they would actually teach you things, have you fight tough monsters and group up in more situations instead of cutsey little minigames, vehicles or just spending the time patting the player on the back until cap then people would be a little more prepared.

It'd also be easier if the UI wasn't shit and the abilities weren't so poorly mismanaged into ridiculous convolution. Do I really need 40-50 hotkeys, half of which are samey nonsense or something that's only useful in 1% of the game but I can't succeed in that 1% without it bound?

It's amazing how casual this game is, to an extreme fault in spots, but in other areas it's absurdly hardcore just by merit of terrible design.

I personally don't think it's a terrible thing, folks having to go to EJ and the like, RPG + community, offline or on is kind of just a given for those who want to go above and beyond but a lot of the other stuff irks me. I've put up with it all of my raiding days for years but just now, moving on, trying other things it bugs me so much in retrospect.
To go above and beyond is one thing, but endgame in general relies on it.

How far would a group of people cut of from the community get?

Xtyle

Alex said:
It'd probably be easier for someone to learn anything about WoW if the leveling game wasn't more akin to Mario Party played solo than an MMORPG. They should actually teach you things, have you fight tough monsters and group up in more situations instead of cutsey little minigames, vehicles or just spending the time patting the player on the back until cap.

that's what WoW used to be. Group quests and all that. Elite quest bosses. Dungeons that weren't dumped down/soloable.

Alex

DeathNote said:
To go above and beyond is one thing, but endgame in general relies on it.

How far would a group of people cut of from the community get?

A lot further if the leveling game, ability system and UI weren't quite as iffy. WoW has some very bipolar design, probably remnants of it's overly hardcore bits conflicting with the fact that 95% of the game is non-game level casual.

I don't mind community and communication, it's the wonky design that merely bugs me. People would try more, research more, prepare more if the game set a standard for it.

FLEABttn

Banned
bigben85 said:
that's what WoW used to be. Group quests and all that. Elite quest bosses. Dungeons that weren't dumped down/soloable.

But I'd argue that nobody truly learned anything, and the pugs back then were about as terrible as they were now but just more patient, with the only mechanism for compliance was trying to put the fear of god into them with a server blacklist. And even then those were only so successful. I'd argue that your average WoW player probably hit group quests and elite quest bosses and went onto the next solo quest line.

Saying that people should be able to figure out shit on there own really kind of asks a lot from your average person, and I think misses the point that Blizz really fails to teach people not only what to do but why.

Pollux

Alex said:
A lot further if the leveling game, ability system and UI weren't quite as iffy. WoW has some very bipolar design, probably remnants of it's overly hardcore bits conflicting with the fact that 95% of the game is non-game level casual.

I don't mind community and communication, it's the wonky design that merely bugs me. People would try more, research more, prepare more if the game set a standard for it.
I'm sorry but a lot of us do not have time to do outside research to play the damn game.

Entropia

No One Remembers
zmoney said:
I'm sorry but a lot of us do not have time to do outside research to play the damn game.

This is entirely true, Blizzard has a nice UI but it's functional in all the wrong areas. The Dungeon Journal was a step in the right direction.

Alex said:
It'd probably be easier for someone to learn anything about WoW if the leveling game wasn't more akin to Mario Party played solo than an MMORPG. If they would actually teach you things, have you fight tough monsters and group up in more situations instead of cutsey little minigames, vehicles or just spending the time patting the player on the back until cap then people would be a little more prepared.

Yes, as was discussed previously (not sure if it was you or someone else who brought it up) the leveling game is very different from the dungeons/endgame. There is a huge gap between what level of skill/knowledge is required in 99% of questing compared to dungeons/raids. They're two very different kinds of gameplay in the same framework.

Questing/leveling is an adventure RPG now more than ever as it stands and can be played solo pretty much all the way (if you so desire.)

We all (well most of us here) know what raiding/heroic dungeons are and how they are so very different in how they play and what's expected of you as a player.

I know we've been over it before (and as you mention above Alex) what WoW really needs to be a better game at this point is a change to the questing game overall that is less hand-holding and does require group or smart play to progress, or (probably better) a type of heroic/challenge questing where dungeon/raid skills are taught/needed to be used.

Just something to smooth that difficulty curve out where there seems to be a lot of stumbling. More experienced players can skip it if they want (and got straight to dungeons/heroics/raids) but the content would be there for players inexperienced with group play or advanced class skills.

I do enjoy the Northrend/Cataclysm and revamped Azeroth leveling content. It's fun for what it is. But it doesn't prepare people for the endgame which is where most players (if they continue playing) will spend most of their time. Yes, I do have a little nostalgia for the elite/group/dungeon quests, but those types of quests, while sometimes annoying, also fostered social interaction, which is what the game is ultimately about.

As WoW has aged we've lost some of the MMO aspects through small changes that were ultimately net good when released, but over time have killed or caused certain aspects of the game to atrophy. I think that's all I have to say on the subject for now.

zmoney said:

I really don't want to be insulting here, but maybe it's not the right game for you to be playing then if you don't want to put in at least a bit of extra time (for high-level content at least)? The game's complexity has far outstripped Blizzard's ability to provide all the relevant information in-game at this point in its lifecycle going on 7 years. I couldn't imagine playing without using my suite of addons and resources like EJ, Wowhead, Wowpedia, MMO-Champ, etc. at this point.

Pollux

Entropia said:
This is entirely true, Blizzard has a nice UI but it's functional in all the wrong areas. The Dungeon Journal was a step in the right direction.
I mean, I understand that I should be better and understand it more, it's just a huge time commitment that I can't make. I enjoy the game, and wish I got into it sooner. My only point was, that there are people who are new to the game who refuse to take any advice or criticism. those people suck. But those of us who want to get better, realize we need to get better if people want to play with us, and are willing to take criticism and advice and try and improve...well, i feel like thats something entirely different.

Top Bottom