• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bisnic said:
Random is random. Took me a little more than a week to get them all.

It helped that i never completed the daily, so i could just do it again the next day without risking of not gettting it.
I do that every day. Hasn't ever changed. I even got a GM on the line and he said a"deal with it." Its just aggravating.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I know how random can be a pain in the ass sometimes. I wish there was something to improve it, but ... its really a "deal with it" situation.

I wanted some sword model from heroic Mana Tombs and i just got it 2 days ago while farming it everyday, and i got 5 or 6 of every other drops.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
TheYanger said:
I love it.

I'm really liking these tier sets, even if not everyone likes all of them, that's because they're bold and not sterile generic bullshit like we've been getting. Polarizing is better than fucking boring by a long shot.
Uh, every tier was and will be polarizing.

Every tier is inherently boring since they can only put detail in the helm and shoulders. It's all a hit or miss.

There's nothing bold they can do with just the helm and shoulder. They can only add more detail and widen the detail gap between the helm/shoulder and everything else.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:

Every tier is inherently boring since they can only put detail in the helm and shoulders. It's all a hit or miss.

There's nothing bold they can do with just the helm and shoulder. They can only add more detail and widen the detail gap between the helm/shoulder and everything else.
It's because they just paint some textures on the same gear as opposed to designing wholly new models, i.e. look at the Warlock hood.

I don't even agree. I think both mage and druid are simply boring; like T9 boring and that Warlock looks pretty similar to other Warlock sets.

Bisnic said:
I know how random can be a pain in the ass sometimes. I wish there was something to improve it, but ... its really a "deal with it" situation.

I wanted some sword model from heroic Mana Tombs and i just got it 2 days ago while farming it everyday, and i got 5 or 6 of every other drops.
Humorously, all three of other elementals were up today after I had finally gotten suspicious enough that it was bugged to ask a GM (i.e. about 3 weeks).

Sax Russel said:
Mage set is automatically the best because it integrates goggles!

We still have 5 sets to go! No declaring a winner yet!

Still waiting to see what DKs (my main) will get. Paladins too as the other plate set.

Though I do like the goggles. Mage set almost has a submarine vibe if you don't look at it as Technomage/Steampunk.

Miletius

Both the mage and shaman set look pretty good to me. Good on mages too, I kind of feel like a lot of times their set is among the weakest, so it's nice to see them get something awesome.

Angry Grimace

CarbonatedFalcon said:
We still have 5 sets to go! No declaring a winner yet!

Still waiting to see what DKs (my main) will get. Paladins too as the other plate set.

Though I do like the goggles. Mage set almost has a submarine vibe if you don't look at it as Technomage/Steampunk.
Would you be willing to place a bet on skulls? :lol

So far I only really think the Shaman one is interesting, but I'll freely acknowledge there's only so much they can actually make different in each set. I like the fact that the Mage set doesn't have humongous plate armor shoulders.

TheYanger

DeathNote said:

Angry Grimace said:
It's because they just paint some textures on the same gear as opposed to designing wholly new models, i.e. look at the Warlock hood.

By this logic, no set in the game has EVER looked good. They can even had cool particles and effects to that stuff or even additional meshes with shoulders/helms (IE: warlock T6). The textures are the absolute most important part in the first place, yeah it'd be cool if they could do MORE but it's not like the texture is some kind of afterthought, texturing affects how we are going to see it more than anything else would short of turning a suit of armor into a mech or something idiotic.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
TheYanger said:
By this logic, no set in the game has EVER looked good. They can even had cool particles and effects to that stuff or even additional meshes with shoulders/helms (IE: warlock T6). The textures are the absolute most important part in the first place, yeah it'd be cool if they could do MORE but it's not like the texture is some kind of afterthought, texturing affects how we are going to see it more than anything else would short of turning a suit of armor into a mech or something idiotic.
You could take the helm, shoulders, color pattern and stick it with the other textures of any previous tier. You could do it cross class too.

Over all, there's like 2 helm/shoulder/color combos I like each tier.

Alex

I like it quite a bit, that is exactly how they should design their armor with the resources they have for it. It's very clean, just enough ambition to it and it all looks proper when it's man-made looking with those types of details.

No crazy, organic, trying to paint a masterpiece on a flat WoW texture kind of deal.

TheYanger

DeathNote said:
You could take the helm, shoulders, color pattern and stick it with the other textures of any previous tier. You could do it cross class too.

Over all, there's like 2 helm/shoulder/color combos I like each tier.

I'm not even exactly sure what you mean, but if I understand this right....no? I mean, if the colors matched you could 'match' a lot of things together, but the textures clearly play a large part in matching thematically and you could absolutely not just slap it together with something else of the same color and be unable to distinguish. The last few tiers maybe, I agree, because they were fucking stale. This stuff? this stuff is bold and different. it would NOT fit in well.

Angry Grimace said:
Would you be willing to place a bet on skulls? :lol

So far I only really think the Shaman one is interesting, but I'll freely acknowledge there's only so much they can actually make different in each set. I like the fact that the Mage set doesn't have humongous plate armor shoulders.

Unfortunately skulls everywhere is probably likely. But we'll see!

I just realized that the Mage set will go well with the Tol-Barad lantern with those goggles it has.

I'm really curious to see what the sets remaining look like. I mean, what is Hunter going to be if Shaman already have wolf skull shoulders? Especially with Hunter's having the legacy of Dragonstalker.

Rogue is either going to be awesome or awful, or awesomely awful. They always get good armor, or really weird armor.

Remember this abomination from Wrath?

pets_20071018_mobilevet_banner.jpg

TheYanger

CarbonatedFalcon said:

I just realized that the Mage set will go well with the Tol-Barad lantern with those goggles it has.

I'm really curious to see what the sets remaining look like. I mean, what is Hunter going to be if Shaman already have wolf skull shoulders? Especially with Hunter's having the legacy of Dragonstalker.

Rogue is either going to be awesome or awful, or awesomely awful. They always get good armor, or really weird armor.

pets_20071018_mobilevet_banner.jpg

I remember it better from Vanilla
30sembp.jpg

C.Dark.DN

Banned
TheYanger said:
I'm not even exactly sure what you mean, but if I understand this right....no? I mean, if the colors matched you could 'match' a lot of things together, but the textures clearly play a large part in matching thematically and you could absolutely not just slap it together with something else of the same color and be unable to distinguish. The last few tiers maybe, I agree, because they were fucking stale. This stuff? this stuff is bold and different. it would NOT fit in well.
What's bold and different?
-Druids have mushroom shoulders, playing off past crystal/feather/twig/leaf shoulders.
-Shaman is a more detailed tier 2 shoulders. More detailed tier 10/10.5 bones.
-Warlock is a weird face as usual, with an old hood model shape. Bones that stick out aren othing new.
-Warrior is a more detailed tier 5, points on the shoulder reversed, and influences from the tier 11 chin guard. A mid helm spike is nothing new.
-Mage is playing off the tier 12 warlock concept of having the helm pattern very obvious on the chest. Goggles are seen on every engineer and a lot of mounts, cogweels are nothing new.

They just increased the detail.

The only thing I'll give them is this tier is the most detailed, but so far it's ALL influenced by the past, which has never been great art.

Edit:
But, more detail on the bosses, NPCs, mobs, helm, shoulders is a requirement as the game ages year after year,

Angry Grimace

CarbonatedFalcon said:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DGmjKsBO0aE/Sa2bsX1J7kI/AAAAAAAADnk/MOH-J3VvpYk/s400/pets_20071018_mobilevet_banner.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I don't think any hunter set has ever looked good.

Angry Grimace said:
I don't think any hunter set has ever looked good.

For hunters, T7 and T4 are probably the best. T8 is decent too if you turn off the gas mask helm. A lot of the others are trash though.

Oh and I was wondering? Any particular reason why they decided to go for 2/4 piece set bonuses only after Vanilla? Looking at some of the Vanilla sets is interesting when they have 3/5/8 piece bonuses. I mean, yeah, it's harder to acquire and you lose flexibility in gearing, but it is interesting.

I feel like there could be more set bonuses in the game now, like for having a pair of rings, or trinkets. Or anything that's not the main tier that requires you to match 3+ things. They don't have to be common, as it would get annoying quickly. It would add some flavor though.

TheYanger

DeathNote said:
What's bold and different?
-Druids have mushroom shoulders, playing off past crystal/feather/twig/leaf shoulders.
-Shaman is a more detailed tier 2 shoulders. More detailed tier 10/10.5 bones.
-Warlock is a weird face as usual, with an old hood model shape. Bones that stick out aren othing new.
-Warrior is a more detailed tier 5, points on the shoulder reversed, and influences from the tier 11 chin guard. A mid helm spike is nothing new.
-Mage is playing off the tier 12 warlock concept of having the helm pattern very obvious on the chest. Goggles are seen on every engineer and a lot of mounts, cogweels are nothing new.

They just increased the detail.

The only thing I'll give them is this tier is the most detailed, but so far it's ALL influenced by the past, which has never been great art.

Edit:
But, more detail on the bosses, NPCs, mobs, helm, shoulders is a requirement as the game ages year after year,

I...what. The druid patchwork mushroom look definitely doesn't look like 'leaves and twigs' and it reflects a more earthy level of nature than they've had in the past.
Shaman....looks NOTHING like tier 2? seriously.
208e3np.jpg

You think THOSE look similar? You're on crack.

"Warlocks are weird"...gee, what a fucking criteria. You have face tentacles and bright colors evoking a faceless one, exactly like they said they wanted. I don't get how it's even in a realm of familiarity. T3 used similar colors, and the hood is a 'hood' which I guess makes it similar to dark coven? aside from the completely different shapes of course. You might as well say "It has a hat shoulders and robe. TOO SOON"

Warriors...again, what?
20fsq4n.jpg

How are those similar at all? One is deathwing, very clearly. The other one....looks nothing like anything dragon-related? It has horns, but they don't even have a remotely similar shape or direction or texture. Again, grasping at straws.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
For hunters, T7 and T4 are probably the best. T8 is decent too if you turn off the gas mask helm. A lot of the others are trash though.

T3 I think is the best Hunter set. Dragonstalker would've been the best if it had been a different color, such as red.

TheYanger

CarbonatedFalcon said:

Oh and I was wondering? Any particular reason why they decided to go for 2/4 piece set bonuses only after Vanilla? Looking at some of the Vanilla sets is interesting when they have 3/5/8 piece bonuses. I mean, yeah, it's harder to acquire and you lose flexibility in gearing, but it is interesting.

I feel like there could be more set bonuses in the game now, like for having a pair of rings, or trinkets. Or anything that's not the main tier that requires you to match 3+ things. They don't have to be common, as it would get annoying quickly. It would add some flavor though.

It was specifically as you say, you had no flexibility. You wore all 8 pieces for most classes, and you wouldn't even swap for new gear until you had a set bonus better than what you were wearing. With the current design you can fudge things a bit. That being said, I DO miss set bonuses being utility rather than straight dps/hps gains, and that would make gearing more interesting again. It's not as big of a hit to lose a heal on your vanish or whatever, for instance, but a good player can get a lot of extra mileage out of bonuses like that.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:

Tier 3 went up to a 9 piece set and 2/4/6/8. Then they went down to 5 piece tier sets, stuck with it, and 2/4 made the most sense with 5.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
TheYanger said:
I...what. The druid patchwork mushroom look definitely doesn't look like 'leaves and twigs' and it reflects a more earthy level of nature than they've had in the past.
http://i52.tinypic.com/208e3np.jpg
They are both big bone head shoulders. Increasing the detail on a big bone head is not bold and different. It's playing off past art. I'm not saying they are the same animal.

TheYanger said:
Warriors...again, what?
http://i53.tinypic.com/20fsq4n.jpg
How are those similar at all? One is deathwing, very clearly. The other one....looks nothing like anything dragon-related? It has horns, but they don't even have a remotely similar shape or direction or texture. Again, grasping at straws.
The warrior shoulders are more detailed and reversed shoulder spikes. The helm takes the spikes, makes them more detailed, and curves them backward. The helm also takes influences from the tier 11 chin guard and helms with a mid helm spike.

Again, Not bold and different. All it is is playing off past art and increasing detail.

I don't feel like reading your warlock response because you 0/2 on those.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Oh, and are you dense?

TheYanger said:
I...what. The druid patchwork mushroom look definitely doesn't look like 'leaves and twigs

...Duh. I have a lot in my yard man.

It's the same concept tho: Taking something from nature and putting it on druid shoulders.

Again... not bold and different.

Angry Grimace

TheYanger said:
208e3np.jpg

"Warlocks are weird"...gee, what a fucking criteria. You have face tentacles and bright colors evoking a faceless one, exactly like they said they wanted. I don't get how it's even in a realm of familiarity. T3 used similar colors, and the hood is a 'hood' which I guess makes it similar to dark coven? aside from the completely different shapes of course. You might as well say "It has a hat shoulders and robe. TOO SOON"

Warriors...again, what?
http://i53.tinypic.com/20fsq4n.jpg/IMG]
How are those similar at all? One is deathwing, very clearly. The other one....looks nothing like anything dragon-related? It has horns, but they don't even have a remotely similar shape or direction or texture. Again, grasping at straws.[/QUOTE]
I can see what he's saying at least. The overall shape looks pretty similar. It's not the design entirely but that it looks like the overall effect ends up similar.

No need to get hostile.

[QUOTE=CarbonatedFalcon]For hunters, T7 and T4 are probably the best. T8 is decent too if you turn off the gas mask helm. A lot of the others are trash though.

I feel like there could be more set bonuses in the game now, like for having a pair of rings, or trinkets. Or anything that's not the main tier that requires you to match 3+ things. They don't have to be common, as it would get annoying quickly. It would add some flavor though.[/QUOTE]
For obvious reasons; because collecting full sets fucking sucked when you had 39 other people to compete with, particularly if the bonus was worth it, and you have to remember that they didn't have tokens either, the gear just dropped straight out. It's just a quality of life thing.

Angry Grimace

zmoney said:
how do i get these awesome armor sets y'all are talking about? raiding?
The new ones are Tier 13, meaning a raid that hasn't come out. The other ones are spread throughout different parts of the game, mostly raiding, but some of them are just based on getting points from dungeons, i.e. Tiers 7 through 10 you can get most pieces with nothing but justice points, and you can get the uninteresting parts of Tier 11 and 12 with JP and VP. Sets tend to be defined by the shoulders and helms so I would avoid trying to go for that look unless you raid.

Frankly, everyone and their mom will transmog tier sets, so feel free to try something a little different.

TheYanger

Angry Grimace said:
The new ones are Tier 13, meaning a raid that hasn't come out. The other ones are spread throughout different parts of the game, mostly raiding, but some of them are just based on getting points from dungeons, i.e. Tiers 7 through 10 you can get most pieces with nothing but justice points, and you can get the uninteresting parts of Tier 11 and 12 with JP and VP. Sets tend to be defined by the shoulders and helms so I would avoid trying to go for that look unless you raid.

Frankly, everyone and their mom will transmog tier sets, so feel free to try something a little different.

You can't get the vast majority of the sets without raiding, evne old stuff, most old stuff can be done with 5 or less people though depending on what you're doing. (By which I mean, you can get the 5 basic 'set' pieces for some, for most less than that, and then you're left still missing shoes and belts and bracers for visual completion, which are not tier specifically but will be dropped in the appropriate zones and will match the sets

They're released with each new raiding 'tier', there's a new class set associated with them. So the first raiding set in the game was tier 1, then tier 2, etc.

Angry Grimace

TheYanger said:
You can't get the vast majority of the sets without raiding, evne old stuff, most old stuff can be done with 5 or less people though depending on what you're doing.

They're released with each new raiding 'tier', there's a new class set associated with them. So the first raiding set in the game was tier 1, then tier 2, etc.
Isn't that what I said?

You certainly can't get a "full" set of anything without going into raid zones. I don't know that I'd say "vast majority" given you can get some pieces of 5 out of 10 available sets from JP.

Some of the sets are PvP sets, i.e. the Paladin set I posted a few pages back, which can be acquired through nothing but honor points (or JP, obviously excepting current CP gear).

TheYanger

Angry Grimace said:
Isn't that what I said?

No? "Are they from raiding?" "You can get most of them spread around the game"....paraphrased, but that's not the same as "Yes, they are from raiding" which is the correct answer. You won't get more than scraps from JP.

Angry Grimace

TheYanger said:
No? "Are they from raiding?" "You can get most of them spread around the game"....paraphrased, but that's not the same as "Yes, they are from raiding" which is the correct answer. You won't get more than scraps from JP.
As I figured, you're just nitpicking.

Some of the sets you can get are PvP sets, i.e. the Pally set I was looking at a few pages ago. You can get all of T10 and T9 through points, and you can get 4/5 of T7 through points, 2/5 T7 through points and 3/5 of both 11 and 12.

There are also recolors of T1 and T2 available through Outlands leveling dungeons. Obviously, T3 is not in the game, but recolors are available in Naxxramas.

No need to get hostile.

Pollux

Cool, thanks guys. Guess I'll need to round up some people to do some old raids. Anyone here play on Malygos?

EDIT: the transmog thing....has that started yet? or does it only start when 4.3 hits? couldn't find a date for that...

Angry Grimace

zmoney said:
Cool, thanks guys. Guess I'll need to round up some people to do some old raids. Anyone here play on Malygos?

EDIT: the transmog thing....has that started yet? or does it only start when 4.3 hits? couldn't find a date for that...
There's no date, but it isn't (likely) coming anytime soon.

Patch changes tend to follow long periods in which they are tested out on a "patch test realm," which hasn't even begun yet. However, there isn't anything stopping you from gathering the gear for it right now, although obviously the stats on them are nothing useful to you until transmogrification is added. What I'd recommend doing if you aren't going to do it with your guild is to try to form groups with people who want completely different classes of gear than you do.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
TheYanger said:
No?

He said "The other ones are spread throughout different parts of the game, mostly raiding, "

TheYanger

Angry Grimace said:
As I figured, you're just nitpicking.

Some of the sets you can get are PvP sets, i.e. the Pally set I was looking at a few pages ago. You can get all of T10 and T9 through points, and you can get 4/5 of T7 through points, 2/5 T7 through points and 3/5 of both 11 and 12.

There are also recolors of T1 and T2 available through Outlands leveling dungeons. Obviously, T3 is not in the game, but recolors are available in Naxxramas.

No need to get hostile.

It's not nitpicking, it's clarification, jesus christ stop martyring yourself. You gave him info, I felt it didn't paint a complete picture of what he'd asked. whatever.

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
No?

He said "The other ones are spread throughout different parts of the game, mostly raiding, "
It's not even completely true. You can get 4/5 of T7 with points (although not the matching color set, which you'll probably want), all of 9 and all of 10, and D1, D2, T1 and T2 have recolors available through soloable TBC 5 man content. And we don't necessarily know what the DF sets are supposed to be. They could be T3's original looks, or the original D2 set, etc.

TheYanger said:
It's not nitpicking, it's clarification, jesus christ stop martyring yourself. You gave him info, I felt it didn't paint a complete picture of what he'd asked. whatever.
Yeah okay, psycho. I'm just saying there's no need to flip out about everything like you do every fucking time about every fucking thing. Take a chill pill.

Angry Grimace

Bisnic said:
I'm still wondering why you 2 havent put each other on ignore yet. :lol
Because he derails the conversation almost constantly so you have to have him set to read to be able to follow what's happening.

I mean, look, I'd love it if he was able to have a rational conversation in which he considered point-counterpoints without calling everyone a retard, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. But by God I'll still write a rebuttal out even if he just ignores it because it just encourages people to not have thoughtful conversations if nobody ever bothers to reply because one guy is going to flip out on you.

Also, zmoney:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Set_look_alikes

You can check this out if you want to find either set "look alikes" (i.e. recolors) of sets or you're looking to find the pieces which match a set and aren't part of the tier set itself (i.e. boots, belts and bracers)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
There is something i've been wondering about the RealID crossrealm dungeons.

I know it works with the dungeon finder, but does it also works with simply walking through the instance portal? Like if i wanted to help a friend on another server who is lvl 60 to run ramparts with my lvl 85 and we would both try to meet each other by entering through the instance portal on our side. Is that possible?

Probably an obvious no, but still wondering.

Angry Grimace

Bisnic said:

I know it works with the dungeon finder, but does it also works with simply walking through the instance portal? Like if i wanted to help a friend on another server who is lvl 60 to run ramparts with my lvl 85 and we would both try to meet each other by entering through the instance portal on our side. Is that possible?

It does not work. You have to use the Dungeon Finder for it to apply properly unless they changed it from when I tried that.

I had a guy in a leveling dungeon who got super angry at me for taking off-spec gear against his guild's DE rolls (they were all 85s in epics, my Paladin is 84.) He was like, "how could you be so greedy?! I need those for disenchanting!" He was a shadow priest doing 3000 DPS. On that last boss in HoO who has a 100% damage taken buff.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Bisnic said:

I was soloing Stonecore normal for the mount and was able to have group will travel summon a cross realm friend into the instance with me.

Pollux

Angry Grimace said:
Because he derails the conversation almost constantly so you have to have him set to read to be able to follow what's happening.

I mean, look, I'd love it if he was able to have a rational conversation in which he considered point-counterpoints without calling everyone a retard, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. But by God I'll still write a rebuttal out even if he just ignores it because it just encourages people to not have thoughtful conversations if nobody ever bothers to reply because one guy is going to flip out on you.

Also, zmoney:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Set_look_alikes

You can check this out if you want to find either set "look alikes" (i.e. recolors) of sets or you're looking to find the pieces which match a set and aren't part of the tier set itself (i.e. boots, belts and bracers)

Good stuff...thanks Grim. Both of y'all have been helpful lol. so thanks.

Angry Grimace

zmoney said:
Good stuff...thanks Grim. Both of y'all have been helpful lol. so thanks.
If you want to find out how to get a particular set or item, look up the item or item set on http://www.wowhead.com/items

It will tell you where each item drops and/or how to obtain it if it can be purchased (and for what cost).

Blizzard is releasing these retrospectives of what each set looks like so you can figure it out, although you can look it up on other sites too. You don't need to limit yourself to tier sets, either, there are PvP and dungeon specific sets available too depending the look you want.

Angry Grimace

Let me also add that Blizzard will be heartless and cruel if you can't transmog the Gilnean Top Hat.

Holy fucking shit. After our old guild fell apart, our core team transferred to area 52, we had a hell of a time getting stable tanks and dps, tonight we finally fucking downed Rags before he gets nerfed into oblivion. Regular rags, but still. We finally fucking got him.

I switched to Combat recently, and holy hell during the Rags fight having killing spree on your bar is like having a loaded gun pointed at your own forehead. If you screw up the timing on that even a little there's like half a dozen fun things you can find yourself standing in.

theinfinityissue said:
Holy fucking shit. After our old guild fell apart, our core team transferred to area 52, we had a hell of a time getting stable tanks and dps, tonight we finally fucking downed Rags before he gets nerfed into oblivion. Regular rags, but still. We finally fucking got him.

I switched to Combat recently, and holy hell during the Rags fight having killing spree on your bar is like having a loaded gun pointed at your own forehead. If you screw up the timing on that even a little there's like half a dozen fun things you can find yourself standing in.

This is 10 or 25? And congrats either way. Area 52 is one of the few servers I would transfer to now. Either guild that really fits somewhere else, or high pop with Horde greater than or roughly equal to Alliance.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
This is 10 or 25? And congrats either way. Area 52 is one of the few servers I would transfer to now. Either guild that really fits somewhere else, or high pop with Horde greater than or roughly equal to Alliance.

Thanks! Unfortunately, it was only 10 man. Ideally we're going to transition to a 25 man guild, the horde pop on a52 certainly would support it, but right now we're just trying to get enough people on at the same time to get 10 mans together heh.

Top Bottom