• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Duki said:
monk should have been plate so that theres finally another user of spell plate

but w/e sounds :3
Monks in plate sounds wrong on every level.

RPGCrazied said:
Anyone else hope they give us another slot or two on your server? I already have 10 characters on mine.

Seriously. There's gonna be some issues if there's only 10 slots per server and 11 classes. Especially if you already had 10 85s or whatever.

RPGCrazied

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Seriously. There's gonna be some issues if there's only 10 slots per server and 11 classes. Especially if you already had 10 85s or whatever.

I'm not that hardcore. I only have 1 85, 3 that are close, and the rest varies in levels from 40 and up.

I'm an ALT whore.

Angry Grimace said:
True, but for the most part, we aren't seeing the spec skills so it seems like you don't have much to do when really you will.

Rogue's always been the class I think has lagged behind in class design, frankly.

Least touched class for sure. Do okay despite this.

I don't really worry about not having abilities, I know they'll be at the baseline, I'm just disappointed when so many of the Talents or whatever you want to call them are PvP oriented compared to other classes having a more "PvE Choice, PvP Choice, Mixed" approach.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Freyjadour said:
Least touched class for sure. Do okay despite this.

I don't really worry about not having abilities, I know they'll be at the baseline, I'm just disappointed when so many of the Talents or whatever you want to call them are PvP oriented compared to other classes having a more "PvE Choice, PvP Choice, Mixed" approach.
The reason why is probably because Rogue is a far more popular class for PvP than PvE due to the way its mechanics work.

Angry Grimace

RPGCrazied said:
I'm not that hardcore. I only have 1 85, 3 that are close, and the rest varies in levels from 40 and up.

I'm an ALT whore.
I have 6 85s, 2 80s and a 74 which I have all weekend to level. Then again, I did not have the regular time to raid in law school so I found it hard to focus on any individual toon and ended up with a ton of leveled alts.

And Heroic Questing needs to happen. It sounds like they're sort of going that way with the PvE scenarios and a greater focus on max level quests/stuff to do. But still, just straight implement a system called Heroic Questing.

Angry Grimace

CarbonatedFalcon said:
And Heroic Questing needs to happen. It sounds like they're sort of going that way with the PvE scenarios and a greater focus on max level quests/stuff to do. But still, just straight implement a system called Heroic Questing.
They said there are max level quests which provide valor points. It sounds a lot like that.

I'm slightly concerned about the new dungeons. There's supposedly nine, but three of them are remixes of Scholo and Scarlet Monastery (which is 2 dungeons). I'd also like to see more creative loot options, i.e. all bosses should have some kind of low chance, better than average loot to make those bosses more interesting.

I'm not suggesting all bosses are holding Ashes of Al'ar, but I think if we're going to be forced to spam run heroics, I'd like to see at LEAST bosses having a couple of pieces of gear in between heroic level and raid level.

Loxley

Door2Dawn said:
Ah, MoP probably won't be out until late 2012 or early 2013?

Morheime has said that Blizzard is making it a point to get content out at a faster rate from now on, since they attributed a large chunk of the reason that WoW lost nearly a million subscribers post-Cataclysm launch to the fact that Blizzard takes it's sweet-ass time releasing new dungeons compared to the rate at which the community plows through them these days.

He alluded to smaller expansions but with a more frequent release schedule down the road. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we saw MoP as early as next Fall; gives players plenty of time to clear out Deathwing and get a proper beta test in.

I don't mind there being some tail-end, deadtime at the end of an expansion, but if they don't have MoP out by June/July next year, there is going to have to be a Halion 2.0 or else sub numbers will drop until the month before when launch when there is a release date.

McNei1y

My guess we see mop by summer. Deathwing will come out. Clear that patch for 2-3 months. Beta in spring. Only makes sense. A year and half after cata

Tamanon

Banned
Ya know, at least on the surface, mages got the short end of the stick on the new Talents. I'll chalk it up to them not going through them yet.

Angry Grimace

McNei1y said:
My guess we see mop by summer. Deathwing will come out. Clear that patch for 2-3 months. Beta in spring. Only makes sense. A year and half after cata
I hope they remember how many subs just quit because of the ~year between ICC and Cata, but it's Blizzard so probably November of next year.

Alex

Yeah I was happy when I saw the high end questing, rewards valor note. It's def a start.

My only real qualm out of all this info is heroic SM and scholo, I really wish they wouldnt do the remake stuff anymore. I am confused though... why is Heroic SM specificly designed for 80? It's not in 4.3 or a 4.3.x is it? Its in the Pandaria panel.

I am considering coming back to WoW and have a question for you all. Since I last left Azeroth I have purchased a Macbook Pro 15" (2.0 GHz QC, 4GB RAM, 6750M) and was wondering what would be the best way to play WoW on it? Would the Mac install for WoW suffice or am I better off playing WoW on something like Bootcamp?

Rokam

DeathNote said:
Doing Outland and Northrend as a Pandaren is lame.

Don't forget the experience nerf coming, as well as all dungeon quests moving inside the instance for the BC/Wrath instances, and all group quests are going to be soloable. Outland isn't too bad now as you're done in about 2-3 zones w/o heirlooms.

The B-Roll footage on MMO-Champ is absolutely gorgeous if you haven't watched it yet. No real action, but they are some of the best looking environments in the game yet.

Ha! They're flattening stats across the board:

Blizzard said:
Q: Will you be making any changes to how stats work?

Yes. As World of Warcraft has matured and more expansions, content updates, and tiers of equipment have been released, players’ stats have begun to inflate exponentially. At this point, the numbers for health, mana, and so on are threatening to get out of control. In order to combat this and bring statistics back to earth -- or Azeroth, as it were -- in Mists of Pandaria, we will be “flattening” the statistic curve in places where it no longer needs to behave exponentially (primarily at the point of the end game for old expansions). In practice, this means that upon the expansion’s release, the numbers for Strength, Health, Intellect, damage, and so on will be significantly lower than you’re used to seeing across the board, from level 1 to level 85. It’s all relative, of course -- enemies’ and bosses’ stats will be reduced as well, and it should take a level-85 warrior roughly the same number of many sword-whacks and ability uses to kill a level-85 monster as it did before. However, this also means the difference between each level between 1 and 85 will be less significant, so you may find that an enemy 5 or 10 levels below your own will be a little tougher to deal with than it was before.

Things were definitely getting out of hand when we go from 50k to HP for (endgame) tanks to almost 200k in 5 levels. They really shouldn't have inflated stamina (and other stats) so much for Cataclysm.

ampere

Number45 said:
I can't get my head around it all. I have a 60 day card here waiting to be activated but now I don't want to, I'd rather go for the yearly pass and get D3 for free! Is there a time limit on when the offer expires? If I use this card and then sign up for a year will I still get the benefits?
Here's how it works, the 60 day card will extend your subscription for 2 months, and then you'll have to be in a contract to pay for 12 more after.

So yes you can use a 60 day card now and then sign up for the yearly pass and get all the benefits.

I signed up for the yearly pass and I'm going to get the Diablo 3 CE since they said in the FAQ you get refunded 4 months ($60) if you activate the Diablo 3 CE on the account.

Outdoor Miner said:
I am considering coming back to WoW and have a question for you all. Since I last left Azeroth I have purchased a Macbook Pro 15" (2.0 GHz QC, 4GB RAM, 6750M) and was wondering what would be the best way to play WoW on it? Would the Mac install for WoW suffice or am I better off playing WoW on something like Bootcamp?
While I have not played WoW on a Mac, it's my understanding that it plays just as well as the Windows counterpart.

Outdoor Miner said:

You will be more than fine playing on OS X. I do on a 2009 machine, and it's fine for the most part. Framerate jumps around a bit depending on what I'm doing, but for raiding, or other important things, I can dial a few settings down and maintain a more steady FPS. You're not going to see a significant performance boost in Windows that would make it worth switching over via Bootcamp if doing so would inconvenience you, as it does me whenever I need to.

McNei1y

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Things were definitely getting out of hand when we go from 50k to HP for (endgame) tanks to almost 200k in 5 levels. They really shouldn't have inflated stamina (and other stats) so much for Cataclysm.

They screwed up when they created items for Burning Crusade. Then they didn't learn when they came out with WOTLK. Freaking BC had greens replacing T2 epics. Like I was a Resto Druid in Vanilla in full T2 and when I went to BC the first couple of quests gave me gear equivelant to "feral" epics that I had. So high health for a healer/druid (3-4k) became the norm for level 60-61... So that means level 70 gear had ~9-10k HP with Tanks having much more... Then Wrath expanded on that. They put way to much stuff on the items. Its still getting out of hand.

Yeah, The ratio's have all stayed the same, ish. But the numbers are just getting crazy!

I have no idea what gear in MoP's final raid will look like... 1000+ stamina trinkets?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Ha! They're flattening stats across the board:

Damn, I don't really like that change. Not even one bit. :/

bunbun777

I have over a hundred pets and let me tell you something-- this pokemon thing is the most exciting news to me of all the extra stuff announced. Magical Crawdad, Nuts, Phoenix Hatchling.

I'm really happy to have the 2005 original Murky on my characters. I've been using a macro for ages just for this type of thing: "*character* commands Murky to nibble *target* in the leg"

And it's possible to have three pets in battle at once? Man, I shouldn't have passed on that pink Gurky. I only have Murky and Lurky and I refuse to use the murloc cosplay pets...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Einchy said:
Damn, I don't really like that change. Not even one bit. :/

Why? They're right, my mage went from 20k HP at lvl 80 to 118k in Cataclysm. It's not right. If they're going to reduce all that to make more sense, then go ahead.

I'm sure people are going to cry because they can't do 50k crit spells, but whatever.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Bisnic said:
Why? They're right, my mage went from 20k HP at lvl 80 to 118k in Cataclysm. It's not right. If they're going to reduce all that to make more sense, then go ahead.

I'm sure people are going to cry because they can't do 50k crit spells, but whatever.

Never said they were wrong, I said I didn't like it.

I loved how much more power I felt going from BC to Wrath to Cata. I'll feel weird if the MoP tier 14 feels like a Cata tier 14.

Bisnic

Einchy said:
Never said they were wrong, I said I didn't like it.

I loved how much more power I felt going from BC to Wrath to Cata. I'll feel weird if the MoP tier 14 feels like a Cata tier 14.

Sure, its going to feel weird if we really go from 120k HP to 60k, and if our spell power go from 7k to 4k, people will complain(as always), but i think its for the better before we end up with tanks having 1000K HP and mages having 500K.

RPGCrazied

So, is 4.3 the last patch until the expansion? That sure is a long wait for any new stuff. Didn't they say that they didn't want to go long periods of time with no new content awhile back?

Bisnic

RPGCrazied said:
So, is 4.3 the last patch until the expansion? That sure is a long wait for any new stuff. Didn't they say that they didn't want to go long periods of time with no new content awhile back?

At this rate, 4.3 will release in december, which give it enough time to last until june/july for a summer release of MoP.

I don't think Blizzard will do the same mistake as ICC...hopefully.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Well, this is how they walked:

4.1 was about 5 months after Cat's release with no new raid.
4.2 was 2 months later with the second tier.
4.3 will probably release in December with the Deathwing raid. About 6 months after 4.2

That leaked slate and average wait between tiers this go aroundmatch for a 2012 late spring or summer release without any new content.

That said, not many are happy with the time period this expansion.

Its Neat that Druids get 4 specs now, But I'm a bit worried that they'll use that as an excuse to nerf kitty damage for people in the 'guardian' spec

idlewild_

Angry Grimace said:
I'd also like to see more creative loot options, i.e. all bosses should have some kind of low chance, better than average loot to make those bosses more interesting.

It sounds like they're thinking of doing something similar:

Incentives for dungeons/raiders to run quests and do outdoor/daily kind of stuff. For example finishing a quest might give you a buff for the day, and maybe that buff will let you roll on a loot that only appears to people with that buff.

so, do a (hard?) max-level quest and get a buff that lets you roll on extra gear that drops.

Retro

So, I haven't posted in here in a while... what's the general consensus among WoWGAF about the new talent system. A friend of mine linked me to it last night and I have to say, it seems really... um... watered-down and simple (and that's being nice).

The only difference between characters now is a mere 7 choices (Initial spec + 6 talents)? I'm all for K.I.S.S, but this seems to fall into the "Create a system any fool can use and only a fool will want to use it" category.

It was always my opinion that people were likely to fuck up at a basic level (stand in fire) before their poor talent choices made any impact on gameplay.

So, what say WoWGAF, is it a change for the better or is it making WoW easier for the stupids? Not trolling, just genuinely curious since Talents were always one of my favorite parts of WoW (customization = good).

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Retro said:
So, I haven't posted in here in a while... what's the general consensus among WoWGAF about the new talent system. A friend of mine linked me to it last night and I have to say, it seems really... um... watered-down and simple (and that's being nice).

The only difference between characters now is a mere 7 choices (Initial spec + 6 talents)? I'm all for K.I.S.S, but this seems to fall into the "Create a system any fool can use and only a fool will want to use it" category.

It was always my opinion that people were likely to fuck up at a basic level (stand in fire) before their poor talent choices made any impact on gameplay.

So, what say WoWGAF, is it a change for the better or is it making WoW easier for the stupids? Not trolling, just genuinely curious since Talents were always one of my favorite parts of WoW (customization = good).
Right now builds are cookie cutter with about 6 boring talents or less to choose between.

Now you have 6 options to choose between that are actually fun.

Rogues for example can choose to have Killing Spree, Shadowstep, Vendetta, etc. in any spec.

So, one one hand it's simplified, hard for a noob to screw up, and one the other it's more fun than the current talent system.

I think it's better than the current at least. I'm not sure what my ideal one would be.

There are some weird things tho. DK's having Outbreak and Priests having psychic scream in the talent choices? What? That's pretty stupid.

ampere

Subliminal said:
Its Neat that Druids get 4 specs now, But I'm a bit worried that they'll use that as an excuse to nerf kitty damage for people in the 'guardian' spec
Guardian spec probably won't have some of the essential cat dps abilities. They said to expect some ability overlap from spec to spec, but I think this decision means they aren't a fan of feral dps builds with the 5 points you need to tank.

Bisnic said:

Not to mention a big reason for the stamina inflation for cata was to lower burst in pvp, which didn't end up working very well lol. (or perhaps it did at high level pvp, which I never encounter)

Kaper

Retro said:
Not trolling, just genuinely curious since Talents were always one of my favorite parts of WoW (customization = good).

Except the current talent builds don't offer much in the way of customization. Every spec has the "cookie cutter" build with 1-4 points left over that usually don't have an impact of differentiating your rogue build from that other rogue's build. If blizz makes dps talents for MoP there will still be cookie cutter builds, but at least the other 4 talents you can choose are more impactful than recuperate regenerating 1% more hp and reducing damage by 6% or having sprint break all snares.

Edit: darn edits beating me

ampere

Retro said:

Well, I currently have 3 talent points to play with as an elemental Shaman, and the choice isn't really for abilities or abilities modifiers. And Ghostcrawlers' made the point that Raging Blow as a Fury warrior talent didn't make much sense as only a bad player would skip it. And they have the data, so if people were skipping Raging Blow, they would know it.

Top Bottom