• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenaxPure

Combat value scaling is fun, isn't it?

The whole thing is kind of weird for me to be honest and something I wish was changed somehow without breaking the game (if that's even possible). I was in like 70% heroic DS gear with legendary daggers at the end of Cata, that gear had me doing more DPS at 85 than I was as a fresh 90 in greens/blues. I really do hate that feeling of becoming less powerful as you level up.

Ultratech

Wow, I almost couldn't believe this shit.

So I'm stuck at home today because of all the snow and ice, so I get on WoW and decide to do some dailies.
Galleon pops up and nobody's even on him, so I attempt to get a group together, and nobody's having it. I got like 3 people.
So I do my dailies, head back, and managed to get into another group which had some more people. Think we got close to 20 at one point, but damn Alli showed up and ended up bringing a good 30-40 people. They get him and by that point, we barely have enough people to attempt to wipe 'em due to being outnumbered 3:1. (People gave up since Alli showed up in big numbers.) FML.

Playing on a dead server sucks ass when you can't even get people to do Galleon. ;_;

Hoplatee

That's more dps than most PUGs do at 90 v___v

Yes... I kid you not - I had a hunter yesterday which only did 15 to 20k DPS. I wish it was a joke but it isn't. Add 2 other low DPS and it was a run which lasted quite a long time. And then the next run I end up with 3 insane geared DPS and you rush a dungeon in around 10 minutes. I wish they would somehow find a system to balance it out a bit more.

How does it work when BOE epics drop in Dungeons? I had another one drop just now and there was complete chaos in party chat between some people because someone needed it 'to sell' but I believe epic BOE items you need become soulbound so you can not even sell them? Is this also for blue BOE items?

Playing on a dead server sucks ass when you can't even get people to do Galleon. ;_;

Yeah, one of my chars is stuck as well. There are around 800 items on the AH at a given time so yeah, you can guess how shit the population is. Would love to move but I am not paying such a crazy amount for that. If only Blizzard would let me move but that is like hoping to win the lottery. Won't happen.

How does it work when BOE epics drop in Dungeons? I had another one drop just now and there was complete chaos in party chat between some people because someone needed it 'to sell' but I believe epic BOE items you need become soulbound so you can not even sell them? Is this also for blue BOE items?
Nope, BoE is BoE. They can be traded and sold without issue.

I had an issue where a 476 dropped in a Dungeon and the dungeon leader told the 490+ warrior they could have it. So, of course, the warrior rolled "need." This was after everyone else rolled "greed." I wasn't happy to give that warrior a free 5000+ gold, because the dungeon leader put it in orange. A GM would look at the chat logs and scoff at anything to the contrary. :-|

ZenaxPure

In Cata they made it so boe epics became soulbound if you needed on them, after you left the dungeon I think? My memory is a bit foggy on that part. They could have reverted that change by now for all I know but it was there in Cata.

Rokam

In Cata they made it so boe epics became soulbound if you needed on them, after you left the dungeon I think? My memory is a bit foggy on that part. They could have reverted that change by now for all I know but it was there in Cata.

Correct, if you need on a BoE Blue or Epic it binds to you.

Nugg

Yes, this is correct. It only applies to Raid and Dungeon Finder tho.

Robin64

Thought I'd try LFR again after a few weeks break because of never getting items.

Just finished Guardians of Mogu'shan, 6 chances at loot, once again gold every time.

I really don't know what's going on. (Other than terrible RNG I mean)

I hate the Garalon fight. It doesn't matter if it's 10-man or 25-man. The mechanics are cool, but if one person messes up at any time, I have to call it. I don't raid hardcore, but we definitely are progressive. And tonight was those little mistakes all over. We finally downed him after a little over an hour, but I wanted to smash my face into my keyboard. And then, of course, we downed Wind Lord in three pulls over the course of 10 minutes.

Berordn

This tier in particular has a habit of high intensity and low margin of error fights, which is fine...

..Except that it's a linear tier and Elegon and Garalon end up being walls, slapped in the middle of much easier bosses that prevent progress for no reason other than to do it. The two probably should've been the last encounters.

CassSept

Thought I'd try LFR again after a few weeks break because of never getting items.

Just finished Guardians of Mogu'shan, 6 chances at loot, once again gold every time.

I really don't know what's going on. (Other than terrible RNG I mean)

I had a reset where I killed everything, 16 bosses, 3 coins used... not a single drop. Only Sigils of Power, which I already have like 25. Even in ToES which can drop both types of sigil, I got 2 of Power. RNG's a bitch :(

This tier in particular has a habit of high intensity and low margin of error fights, which is fine...

..Except that it's a linear tier and Elegon and Garalon end up being walls, slapped in the middle of much easier bosses that prevent progress for no reason other than to do it. The two probably should've been the last encounters.

Well this is nothing new, is it? I'd say it's even fairly common for an earlier boss to be harder than the last one (BT, SWP, DS off the top of my head).

Tarazet

I had a reset where I killed everything, 16 bosses, 3 coins used... not a single drop. Only Sigils of Power, which I already have like 25. Even in ToES which can drop both types of sigil, I got 2 of Power. RNG's a bitch :(

I really wish they could find a way to do away with random drops. If you're a RAF partner, going through the only dungeon you're going to do in that tier with 5 monks and getting nothing but plate sucks, because then you're not at all ready for the next one. Yeah, that's what heirlooms are for, but I routinely get all the way through Classic having never once gotten boots. Or a neckpiece.

ZenaxPure

Well this is nothing new, is it? I'd say it's even fairly common for an earlier boss to be harder than the last one (BT, SWP, DS off the top of my head).

You're forgetting the most obvious and pure example. Twin mother fucking emps. Don't get me wrong, c'thun isn't exactly a push over but every guild on our server spent about half of their "progression" in the instance on Emps.
Not to mention the fucking trash

But yeah, not really a new concept, it's weird. I don't think garalon was that bad though, our guild got it on basically our first try when we got the kiting fixed (we use 4 people, 1 healer, 3 ranged. the healer always follows the pheramones target and heals them).

Elegon is kind of ridiculous though, that fight just isn't happening unless your DPS has a specific amount of gear. Our first times trying it with DPS still in pretty much all blues outside of a few VP pieces the best we could get him down to was about 20% before he enraged.

But yeah, not really a new concept, it's weird. I don't think garalon was that bad though, our guild got it on basically our first try when we got the kiting fixed (we use 4 people, 1 healer, 3 ranged. the healer always follows the pheramones target and heals them).
Garalon is much easier in 10-man than 25. My reasoning is simply because less people means less room for error. I've lead my guild to three Garalon kills thus far in 10-man, but we've been brick-walled on 25-man. I think, mechanically, it's a straight-forward fight, but I also recognize that some of my raiders like to raid but aren't necessarily gifted at it.

Elegon is kind of ridiculous though, that fight just isn't happening unless your DPS has a specific amount of gear. Our first times trying it with DPS still in pretty much all blues outside of a few VP pieces the best we could get him down to was about 20% before he enraged.
I don't quite feel the same way about Elegon as I do Garalon. With Elegon there's a very clearly defined method and strategy to the fight that will gauge how your group is progressing. That moment when you go from downing three sparks to four during the pylon phase feels great and let's you know that your group is getting better, for example.

With Garalon, there's nothing of the sort. Your kiter accidentally takes a swipe and you may as well call it. And that can happen within the first or the last 20 seconds of the fight. And if a pheromone swap goes bad (and it's certainly bound to happen)? You're screwed.

As a raid leader, Garalon just stresses me out to no end. There's no real way to offer constructive criticism to people. It's simply if a raider's cat jumps on their lap, or they look away for a second, or something diverts their attention for one moment, it's enough to cause a wipe. If I was raiding with Dream Paragon people, it'd be a non-issue, but I run with working class people with families and lives. I can't truly be mad at them for wanting to play out of enjoyment, not competitive sport.

/EndVent

Berordn

It's not new, it just blows not having anything to do when we're tired of wiping on something. I've just never really liked linear tiers.

I would argue against DS being hard in any capacity though.

Wubby

:-(

My guild has decided to xfer. After losing some raiders to more populated servers it became impossible for them to raid anymore. There is no one left to recruit on the server. My server is in the bottom 15 on wowprogress with a pop of ~600 according to the site.

Once the guild is gone that's pretty much the final nail for the server. This current guild is a combination of the remainders of other guilds that have long since left.

Doesn't make much sense for me to xfer with them. Since I live in Japan and it's an east coast time server (started playing while I lived in US). So for me it makes more sense to go to a Pacific realm somewhere. But I don't want to leave my alts I've spent so much time on nor do I want to pay that rather exorbitant xfer fee.

Sarcasm

:-(

My guild has decided to xfer. After losing some raiders to more populated servers it became impossible for them to raid anymore. There is no one left to recruit on the server. My server is in the bottom 15 on wowprogress with a pop of ~600 according to the site.

Once the guild is gone that's pretty much the final nail for the server. This current guild is a combination of the remainders of other guilds that have long since left.

Doesn't make much sense for me to xfer with them. Since I live in Japan and it's an east coast time server (started playing while I lived in US). So for me it makes more sense to go to a Pacific realm somewhere. But I don't want to leave my alts I've spent so much time on nor do I want to pay that rather exorbitant xfer fee.

Yeah..I am about to xfer to an oceanic server also..well close to. Since I live in Taiwan.

ZenaxPure

Well, that is sort of my point with elegon. The fight really only has 1 real strategy and unless you stacked the raid with the strongest DPS specs (which let me tell you, all of our DPS except like 1 was on the lower end of overall numbers when we started doing him) it was entirely possible to just not have the gear to do him at the start. Our players aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination (a lot of us we're ranking in almost every fight of H FL and H DS on world of logs back in cata) but we just didn't have the dps to do him when we first went in. We had no trouble with the orbs, but, we were getting about 4 protectors in the first phase 1 and 3 in the second phase 1 which was just too slow.

About 3 weeks later with more VP gear and lfr loot we shaved that down to 2 protectors each phase. Problem was for those few weeks though we just had 0 usable dps epics from the first 4 bosses. Like we sharded stuff on our second trip to vaults, which is just sad.

Just found it to be a very annoying brick wall even though mechanically I think it is a very excellent fight.

CassSept

It's not new, it just blows not having anything to do when we're tired of wiping on something. I've just never really liked linear tiers.

I quit raiding after WotLK and basically didn't play for the entirety of Cata, I'm just repeating what I've heard from my friend and he said that Spine was much much harder than Madness.

And to be fair, T6 was the worst. Reliquary of Souls was such a random weird boss, yet it was so much harder than the rest of the tier it was ridiculous.

Enosh

I heard often that heroic spine is one of the hardest encounters ever put in the game (no nerf of course)
Well, that is sort of my point with elegon. The fight really only has 1 real strategy and unless you stacked the raid with the strongest DPS specs (which let me tell you, all of our DPS except like 1 was on the lower end of overall numbers when we started doing him) it was entirely possible to just not have the gear to do him at the start. Our players aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination (a lot of us we're ranking in almost every fight of H FL and H DS on world of logs back in cata) but we just didn't have the dps to do him when we first went in. We had no trouble with the orbs, but, we were getting about 4 protectors in the first phase 1 and 3 in the second phase 1 which was just too slow.
what was your comp you sure you might have not been doing something wrong? because 4 protectors first and then 3 (the 3 is fine I think, we always had 3 on the first few kills in the second round but 2 first, so I find it strange that you had the same on the second but double on the first) with no problems on the orbs sounds odd

Entropia

No One Remembers
I heard often that heroic spine is one of the hardest encounters ever put in the game (no nerf of course)

Heroic Spine was an exercise in frustration. The only real changed mechanic was a dispel mechanic that you wouldn't have noticed if you weren't a healer. Aside from that, they just made the fight pointlessly longer. :\

My monk is cursed and will never get gear from LFR. He's 1 ilvl short of being able to queue for HoF :(

My item level is also 459. I've never been in a raid EVER and really want to do it. Just doing heroics and such hoping for good gear to give me a boost =\

EDIT: yay just found a helm that put me at item lvl 460!

Berordn

I don't think Heroic Spine was so much hard as it was statistically impossible for many comps. Pre-nerf, without crazy burst you were never getting it down, ever. Even afterward, you probably weren't doing it if you were heavy on DoT classes. It was just a poorly designed fight.

Tarazet

I'm playing with the idea of working on a twink character for pvp. I have cloth caster looms and also this tasty chestpiece from Archaeology. Could roll a Goblin Priest for the 50's bracket. Seems like the best gear is easy to get.

Robin64

I'm tempted to have a character join one of those "Level 60" guilds that are out there. Lock at level 60, become as awesome as poss. Just for the lols, like.

(Also just read Diablo III Team Deathmatch has been cancelled. What a mess)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm tempted to have a character join one of those "Level 60" guilds that are out there. Lock at level 60, become as awesome as poss. Just for the lols, like.

(Also just read Diablo III Team Deathmatch has been cancelled. What a mess)

Level 60 content is pretty trivial at 60 due to the fact that mechanics are not similar at all to the way they were in Vanilla. 40 level 60s would likely stomp through level 60 raids even without Outlands gear.

Robin64

Level 60 content is pretty trivial at 60 due to the fact that mechanics are not similar at all to the way they were in Vanilla. 40 level 60s would likely stomp through level 60 raids even without Outlands gear.

Oh of course. Sure it's no challenge at all, but the notion of a twink, squeezing the most out of a particular level, is quite appealing. Maybe there's a level better suited than 60? I have no idea.

ampere

Was up late on Christmas Eve setting a world record CM time, so yep! I'll be on today :D

Which dungeon? I've got 2 golds now, I can't do things exactly like you do in the videos since I'm a monk but it's a lot of fun. Both golds have been barely too lol

Trash before Razorgore was so scary, fuck

rattlegore pre-trash, oops

Okay. So suppose one hates doing dailies with the fury of about 650 suns. And suppose that person just hit 90 on their Monk.

What do for gearing? (ilvl 436 currently)

Robin64

I suppose you could run Scenarios. The cache got upgraded in 5.1 and can drop ilvl 476 epics now, as well as 463 and 450 blues.

There's a good number on Area 52 and Mal'ganis (both Horde) but mostly everyone's spread out. There was a GAF guild are Area 52, not sure what's going on with that though.

GAF Guild on A52 is so dead. I was on my toons in it the other day opening presents.

Mal'Ganis is probably the most active (though there's no single, central guild) probably followed by Stormrage or wherever the Alliance players were congregating.

LadyRiven

If any of you are artists, you might want to pick up the Dec. 2012 issue of Imagine FX. It has articles from the Blizzard artists in it!

vPzN9.jpg

I did this Christmas card for my guild. It's my shaman and Mr. Chilly, since I'm a pet nut. XD I grabbed ArtRage Studio Pro 3 from the Steam sale when it was $20 and it was totally worth it! I might be playing with this instead of Paint Tool SAI and Photoshop for awhile. :3

xmasitami-cropped_zps40cbf883.png

Heroic Spine was an exercise in frustration. The only real changed mechanic was a dispel mechanic that you wouldn't have noticed if you weren't a healer. Aside from that, they just made the fight pointlessly longer. :\

10 man was the real nightmare since you didn't have the extra body to kite slimes and had to sweep up residue before rolling between plates, on top of the dispel mechanic and slime explosions hurting like hell.

Entropia

No One Remembers
If any of you are artists, you might want to pick up the Dec. 2012 issue of Imagine FX. It has articles from the Blizzard artists in it!

I did this Christmas card for my guild. It's my shaman and Mr. Chilly, since I'm a pet nut. XD I grabbed ArtRage Studio Pro 3 from the Steam sale when it was $20 and it was totally worth it! I might be playing with this instead of Paint Tool SAI and Photoshop for awhile. :3

xmasitami-cropped_zps40cbf883.png

omg make me one !:p

That looks great though! :D

Westlo

Finally seems all the old cata mats I stocked up (ele ore, pyrite, green gems) are finally starting to sell at decent prices.

Okay. So suppose one hates doing dailies with the fury of about 650 suns. And suppose that person just hit 90 on their Monk.

Buy all the blue pvp gear for monks, if you're lucky it won't cost much. Like right now on alliance frostmourne you can get all the leather monk gear for under 150g a piece, maybe legs are @ 750g, was skimming but just post /2 Wtb monk pvp legs for 200g and someone will bite.

That alone will bump your ilevel up a lot, after that queue for the arena of scenario to get a blue 450ilevel weapon which should be better than your current one from questing to 90. If you're not quite at the right level for heroics just keep doing scenarios, should hit it very quickly. I only had to do 2 scenarios (and getting the weapon was something I would've done anyway) to be able to queue for heroics with my mage when it hit 90 after doing all this.

What ever happened to BoE epic weapons? Firelands had some, but so far into MoP there hasn't been a one?

5.2 baby.

As the heroes conquer the Isle, they will unlock the powerful Lightning Forge, which will allow Blacksmiths to forge mighty raid-worthy items, as well as classic weapons from the past.

My item level is also 459. I've never been in a raid EVER and really want to do it. Just doing heroics and such hoping for good gear to give me a boost =\

EDIT: yay just found a helm that put me at item lvl 460!

If you have money just cheat and buy an epic of the AH lol... I did that to get access to the ilevel 470 LFR raids since I was stuck on ilevel 468. Not like 2 levels make a difference... 12 of us took garalon LFR done from 80% to 0% even though all the morons who died were whining at us to just wipe, still do top 8ish dmg.

Robin64

Wonder what's up with this 5.2 Scenario.

Tear Down This Wall!
Find the Lost Explosives - Find the Heavy Explosives from the Deathknell Graves.
Deliver the Explosives - Speak with Vereesa at the city wall.
Detonate Explosives - Use the plunger to detonate the explosives.
Kill War-God Al'chukla

Attack on Undercity maybe?

Tarazet

If you're an Agi user, do Archaeology for a free heroic BoA polearm. I got it up from 1-600 in about 8 hours, and about 5 minutes after hitting 600 I had the polearm. I'm using it on my Night Elf Druid alt at 85 now, and it's stupid. I was in Cata greens other than that, and that weapon had me doing 30K DPS. The first time I leveled a Druid to 90, I bought the vendor greens and still had to run as Guardian because I was too squishy otherwise. This time around I'm opening from stealth and downing everything by the time I get 5 combo points.

If you're an Agi user, do Archaeology for a free heroic BoA polearm. I got it up from 1-600 in about 8 hours, and about 5 minutes after hitting 600 I had the polearm. I'm using it on my Night Elf Druid alt at 85 now, and it's stupid. I was in Cata greens other than that, and that weapon had me doing 30K DPS. The first time I leveled a Druid to 90, I bought the vendor greens and still had to run as Guardian because I was too squishy otherwise. This time around I'm opening from stealth and downing everything by the time I get 5 combo points.

How'd you get it up so fast?

I was working on it, but it's just so mind numbingly boring. I guess I was doing something wrong. I also need to get my fishing up, but it's so boring it's killing me. :(

ZenaxPure

How'd you get it up so fast?

I was working on it, but it's just so mind numbingly boring. I guess I was doing something wrong. I also need to get my fishing up, but it's so boring it's killing me. :(

Well quite a bit has changed since I leveled mine originally in like the first month of Cata, but, for me once I unlocked Outland arch it went dramatically faster. It's just faster to fly around Outland and level than it is to have fucking dig sites in say STV and EPL at the same time, not to mention you are only dealing with 2 different races in Outland where as EK/Kalim is like 4. Also helps even more that I never even saw a Netherstorm dig site, in fact I am still not even sure if you can get one there.

CassSept

Archeo was noticably boosted since 4.0. There are way way more fragments dropping from every survey, and every spot has more surveys than 2 years ago. Also finding fragments was hotfixed recently to give skillups all the way to 600. 1-600 with epic flying mount takes at most few hours now, I'd say 8 hours sounds way too high at the moment.

Wonder what's up with this 5.2 Scenario.

Tear Down This Wall!
Find the Lost Explosives - Find the Heavy Explosives from the Deathknell Graves.
Deliver the Explosives - Speak with Vereesa at the city wall.
Detonate Explosives - Use the plunger to detonate the explosives.
Kill War-God Al'chukla

Attack on Undercity maybe?

It's Isle of the Thunder King scenario, even looking at final stage it's obvious it's something troll-related.
Deathknell Graves sound weird, yeah, but maybe it's placeholder or something, it's the earliest version of the ptr after all, I wouldn't take everything that appears here for granted

Berordn

Deathknell Graves sound weird, yeah, but maybe it's placeholder or something, it's the earliest version of the ptr after all, I wouldn't take everything that appears here for granted

Probably a Kirin Tor attack on a Forsaken camp, who uses their bombs on Trolls in turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom