• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Audίoboxer;45868848 said:
You are right.

Have the game all patched up, now to decide whether to roll a Pandaren Monk or Shaman?!

If you're thinking of rolling a monk to DPS, I would suggest just playing a rogue.

Audioboxer

If you're thinking of rolling a monk to DPS, I would suggest just playing a rogue.

More so for some role versatility. While a WoW veteran in years played (on and off for the years, but I've been around for many), I grow bored often, do not reach 80 and end up letting my sub expire.

For all the time I've played WoW the only hybrid character I played to 80 was the paladin. I got a hunter to 80 and a Warrior to 50 something. I had a rogue at around 40 odds, but got bored. I really am a casual player who prefers to have fun, explore the world, and basically find ways not to get bored. I always think the hybrid classes scream at me for this, but I'm an alliance lover and playing the Druid as a Worgen was awful. Hate worgen animations. I find it hard to play as the older models due to how bad they look/animate. The levelling process is actually something I enjoy, so I always thought going a Death Knight would be against my 'character philosophy' :p

Some of the more gimmicky changes to MoP such as pet battles, and then obviously the whole new race and class seemed fresh and peaked my interest enough to sub again for a while. I do not care about popularity of classes, who is best vs who is the underdog, simply what I find fun. Your suggestion seems to bluntly suggest the rogue will wipe the floor with the monk on DPS, but as I said above I wouldn't really care as long as my choice didn't bore me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Audίoboxer;45870765 said:
More so for some role versatility. While a WoW veteran in years played (on and off for the years, but I've been around for many), I grow bored often, do not reach 80 and end up letting my sub expire.

For all the time I've played WoW the only hybrid character I played to 80 was the paladin. I got a hunter to 80 and a Warrior to 50 something. I had a rogue at around 40 odds, but got bored. I really am a casual player who prefers to have fun, explore the world, and basically find ways not to get bored. I always think the hybrid classes scream at me for this, but I'm an alliance lover and playing the Druid as a Worgen was awful. Hate worgen animations. I find it hard to play as the older models due to how bad they look/animate. The levelling process is actually something I enjoy, so I always thought going a Death Knight would be against my 'character philosophy' :p

Some of the more gimmicky changes to MoP such as pet battles, and then obviously the whole new race and class seemed fresh and peaked my interest enough to sub again for a while. I do not care about popularity of classes, who is best vs who is the underdog, simply what I find fun. Your suggestion seems to bluntly suggest the rogue will wipe the floor with the monk on DPS, but as I said above I wouldn't really care as long as my choice didn't bore me.
I have a 90 Monk. I like tanking on him, but DPS just feels like a crappy version of a rogue, to be honest.

moojito

My main is a ww monk. It's pretty good fun. I'm still giggling at the fists of fury animation even in the endgame, so that's got to count for something.

ZenaxPure

I've been leveling one right now and love Windwalker. Feels like a refined and far more mobile Ret Paladin to me.

I actually find ret to be pretty fun in Mists, but it was an absolute disaster in Cata. I am generally not a fan of specs where the majority of attacks are abilities with cooldowns but I think they handle it cool with Ret now since you will pretty much always be able to generate 4 holy power at the same moment you can actually use a finisher. Becomes a pretty cool balancing act of dumping holy power as much as you can while trying to not let your abilities sit on cooldown.

Jesus though, what a nightmare in Cata, to many abilities that "might" generate holy power on top of a cooldown waiting game, with a few annoying procs thrown in there for good measure. Pretty much everything I hate in a rotation :p

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
So does oQueue work in 5.1 or not? I'm getting mixed reports. I haven't been matched against a premade lately, but I also haven't been doing a lot of BGs either.

I actually find ret to be pretty fun in Mists, but it was an absolute disaster in Cata. I am generally not a fan of specs where the majority of attacks are abilities with cooldowns but I think they handle it cool with Ret now since you will pretty much always be able to generate 4 holy power at the same moment you can actually use a finisher. Becomes a pretty cool balancing act of dumping holy power as much as you can while trying to not let your abilities sit on cooldown.

Jesus though, what a nightmare in Cata, to many abilities that "might" generate holy power on top of a cooldown waiting game, with a few annoying procs thrown in there for good measure. Pretty much everything I hate in a rotation :p

Ret is fun while your cooldowns are going, other than that you're a gimped holy paladin. =p

Ultratech

Pretty sure they put in a hotfix that killed those kinds of addons, yeah.

Yup.
In patch 5.1, we resolved some issues regarding how Addons interact with the Battleground queue system. It is no longer possible to automate queuing for standard or random Battlegrounds in groups larger than 5. We decided to make this change in order to improve the experience for all players who are queueing into random groups normally and expecting to face similarly random groups, only to find themselves crushed by a full team of coordinated opponents.

We understand that players want to enjoy coordinated team play, and we invite those players to queue into Rated Battlegrounds or play Wargames to have that experience. Players can continue to use Addons to queue for Rated Battlegrounds as well..

Might be able to get around it with some other methods or something though, so I don't think it's completely dead.

Tarazet

Ret is fun enough to play, but I still find myself playing Prot/Holy because it just isn't functional without amazing gear. It's the same reason why I didn't play Feral until I had 470+ ilevel.. in that spec, if you can't crit regularly, your life is miserable. With Ret, the problem is Haste. If you don't have a lot of Haste, then it just plays like an Enhancement Shaman without Bloodlust and all the neat utility totems. So it feels fine at 85 in MOP greens, but then being a fresh 90 is a drag. Then you get gear and you're in business.

ZenaxPure

Ret is fun enough to play, but I still find myself playing Prot/Holy because it just isn't functional without amazing gear. It's the same reason why I didn't play Feral until I had 470+ ilevel.. in that spec, if you can't crit regularly, your life is miserable. With Ret, the problem is Haste. If you don't have a lot of Haste, then it just plays like an Enhancement Shaman without Bloodlust and all the neat utility totems. So it feels fine at 85 in MOP greens, but then being a fresh 90 is a drag. Then you get gear and you're in business.

Oh for sure, don't gotta tell me about that. Fresh 90 rogue is a nightmare. They removed our passive backstab/mutilate crit talent for assassination in 5.0 so when I first hit 90 I had something like 9 or 10% crit. I couldn't proc a seal fate to save my life which makes the rotation really slow moving since you can't even dream of having back to back envenoms.

Audioboxer

Decided to roll with a Shaman, I'll try Monk another time. The mix of melee/ranged combat and then the ability to heal will give me some variance.

I've mostly always played DPS as not to have too much 'pressure' on my shoulders when doing instances. I done some tanking for a while (only up to around level 50), but having the responsibility of leading the group always made me nervous, regardless of how easy the instance was. Becoming a good healer will probably be more my way of supporting, and I think I'll have less pressure doing so. Do note I'm not in anyway trying to say healing/tanking are easier or harder than one and other, I'm coming from a psychological POV in my head :p

With this cross realm server shit, if I invite a friend over and we quest together, can I craft items and give them to him? I swear I asked this but can't remember.

Berordn

With this cross realm server shit, if I invite a friend over and we quest together, can I craft items and give them to him? I swear I asked this but can't remember.

Nope. Trading is still restricted to your home realm, due to the different server economies.

RPGCrazied

I have a question, I hope someone can help me. I'm leveling my Monk, he is level 47. I've been through several zone like cutscenes that uses ingame graphics, but it has giant yellow font for subtitles. Can I not turn these off? I already have cinematic subtitles off in the options, but they still display. I think those are for the CG's intros, can't seem to figure out how to turn them off.

Berordn

I have a question, I hope someone can help me. I'm leveling my Monk, he is level 47. I've been through several zone like cutscenes that uses ingame graphics, but it has giant yellow font for subtitles. Can I not turn these off? I already have cinematic subtitles off in the options, but they still display. I think those are for the CG's intros, can't seem to figure out how to turn them off.

Uh, probably not. A lot of cutscenes use a "boss whisper," regardless of if they're voiced or otherwise, which is a mechanic the game uses in encounters to display text on the screen. Since it has a lot of important information when used in boss fights, there's no real way of turning it off without help from an addon.

RPGCrazied

Uh, probably not. A lot of cutscenes use a "boss whisper," regardless of if they're voiced or otherwise, which is a mechanic the game uses in encounters to display text on the screen. Since it has a lot of important information when used in boss fights, there's no real way of turning it off.

Its not bosses, its every cutscene that uses ingame graphics. Here is picture of the problem. I don't remember it doing this, seems like it changed.

Wo_WScrn_Shot_123012_191453.jpg

Wo_WScrn_Shot_123012_191456.jpg

Berordn

Its not bosses, its every cutscene that uses ingame graphics. Here is picture of the problem. I don't remember it doing this, seems like it changed.

I know, the method used to display that type of text is known in a few places in the API as a boss whisper. The nature of it prevents it from normally being blocked. As far as I'm aware, The Day Deathwing Came's questline has always had that pop up.

RPGCrazied

I know, the method used to display that type of text is known in a few places in the API as a boss whisper. The nature of it prevents it from normally being blocked. As far as I'm aware, The Day Deathwing Came's questline has always had that pop up.

Meh. Wish there was an addon to block subtitles. I can hear, I think subtitles kills the immersion for me. Oh well.

Berordn

The subtitles on those quests is actually their narration. The speech bubbles are dialogue, and they're not the same! They're actually pretty consistent about that for cutscenes.

RPGCrazied

The subtitles on those quests is actually their narration. The speech bubbles are dialogue, and they're not the same! They're actually pretty consistent about that for cutscenes.

Your right. I'm guessing the non voice acting scenes have subtitles, the ones with voice do not. I guess that's understandable. I really haven't leveled in old world for a very long time. And the one I'm at isn't voiced, just checked.

Rokam

Started working on getting the Relic Hunter title yesterday, had only found 2 before starting, hit #20 today and got my title. Hooray! I also had been working on finishing The Seat of Knowledge achievement and also finished that today and got my "Seeker of Knowledge" title. Done with dumbass archaeology for a long time.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Started working on getting the Relic Hunter title yesterday, had only found 2 before starting, hit #20 today and got my title. Hooray! I also had been working on finishing The Seat of Knowledge achievement and also finished that today and got my "Seeker of Knowledge" title. Done with dumbass archaeology for a long time.

I did not know that either of those titles existed. Those are kind of awesome.

Rokam

If you want to go after "the Relic Hunter" download the TomTom add-on as well as Lost Treasure add on. Makes it super easy.

I love all these people bitching about no new 5 mans. We've never got a 5 man with the middle tier, no clue where this idea came from that every raid has to have a 5 man with it. They'll come in 5.3 or 5.4 with the final raid, like they always do. Every expansion has worked the same way with a couple of exceptions due to Blizzard's failure to release content fast enough.

Chris R

I'd love to see another annual pass setup with the SC2 expansion... just saying Blizz, you got me once with the steaming pile that was D3, at least let me get a decent game out of the deal for once!

Tarazet

Got my Unholy DK to 90 yesterday and in a very busy 24ish hours since, I did the following:

- Did the Klaxxi quest-line and dailies and got to Revered, ending around 8000/21000.
- Did part of the Shado-Pan quest line and hit Honored.
- Did the Golden Lotus starting quests and dailies.
- Valor capped via heroic runs and daily quests.
- Got to 599 JC and 576 Mining (they were both around 400). Tomorrow after the cooldown reset, I'll cap both.
- Got enough DPS plate gear to reach 454 equipped. Didn't spend a dime.

Once you have one character at 90, everything just seems crazy fast for the second one. That was just silly. The only reason why I didn't do Dominance Offensive as well is because I ran out of steam.

Ryan_

First off, happy newyear!

Second, My mom bought me a gamecard for WoW but I decided to quit a while back since
wow-time interferes with both studying and other games.
So if anyone is interested, it's a european gamecard and I would sell it for 17 euros or something. Check the buy/sell/trade topic for my feedback.

I figured I'd ask here since this is the source ;-) Give me a PM!

Berordn

I'd love to see another annual pass setup with the SC2 expansion... just saying Blizz, you got me once with the steaming pile that was D3, at least let me get a decent game out of the deal for once!

Annual pass is probably never going to happen as long as we're in the middle of an expansion cycle. They did it for retention, and they've got patches for that now.

Dot50Cal

Banned
My roomie drew one of my characters (Frak). Pretty good look-alike! I had so much fun leveling him. When he hit 86, I threw him two of these www.wowhead.com/item=86523/swarming-cleaver-of-karoz and he was pulling 50k dps single target, ungodly amounts with Bladestorm in dungeons. He did more dps than my undergeared 90 ret pally ;_; For those interested, you won't be able to loot two of the BOA world drops on the same toon. Once you loot one, it disappears for that toon forever. You'll have to get another character to snag it for you.

FRAK.jpg

Our guild finally did another run at MSV, Got up to Elegon again. Lowest we had him at was 20% in phase 3. We have the mechanics down at least now, and with the nerfs going live this week we should down him and get the first look at Will of the Emp. Exciting! Logs for those who care.

Any Gaf people have toons on Maelstrom? Its an RP PVP server.

Our guild finally did another run at MSV, Got up to Elegon again. Lowest we had him at was 20% in phase 3. We have the mechanics down at least now, and with the nerfs going live this week we should down him and get the first look at Will of the Emp. Exciting! Logs for those who care.

Nice DPS from your shadow priest there. I should really switch to enchanting for those ring enchants, sigh.

ZenaxPure

I should really switch to enchanting for those ring enchants, sigh.

Eh pretty much all the crafting professions are on par with each other stat wise. If you have gathering professions then obviously you are missing out, but, unless your guild demands it or something it's nothing a thing I would worry about personally.

Some nice quality of life things from them though, like, my rogue is a LW/Alchemist which in addition to the extra stats nets you double duration on flasks and ignoring expensive wrist enchants.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Nice DPS from your shadow priest there. I should really switch to enchanting for those ring enchants, sigh.

He was a fill in DPS, haha. From the best guild on our server, oddly enough. I guess our RL has connections :) We're a pretty casual guild, one or two nights a week if we're lucky. It was difficult to field people with the holidays and all.

Rokam

Did Terrace 3 times got 2 of the 1h strength weapons. Bastard. Really don't want to go masterfrost. Blizzard really fucked up with strength weapons this tier. Caster weapons and Agility weapons are all on different bosses, but in both MSV and ToES the strength weapons are all on one boss. Annoying as shit.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Did Terrace 3 times got 2 of the 1h strength weapons. Bastard. Really don't want to go masterfrost. Blizzard really fucked up with strength weapons this tier. Caster weapons and Agility weapons are all on different bosses, but in both MSV and ToES the strength weapons are all on one boss. Annoying as shit.

WTF? :lol

I swear, Blizzard does itemization/drops VERY oddly.

Hoplatee

Grrr. Golden Lotus rep is just so slow. Halfway through honored now but it really drags. Some terrible daily quests there as well.

Also did all the raids now in LFR. Went in as DPS spec with a mix of blue / BS epic DPS gear (460, tank is 472) to see the fights first. I am glad I did because if I would have tanked any of that I would have been confused even when I did read the tactics before. Terrace looked pretty simple tanking wise though and was my most liked raid.

I expected to be last on the meters but there were people worse geared than me it seems!

I also have to say that I thought the idea of a farm/The Tillers was kinda silly but once you start doing all that stuff it is pretty fun. Totally surprised me.

Just hit 90 tonight. I haven't had much time to play. MoP is massively confusing. Something that should be simple like finding the flight trainer I had no idea where to go. Just now doing heroics. I see that I can queue for scenarios as well and did the arena one for the quest weapon, but good grief, there is no explanation for any of this stuff. it's just like all of a sudden you can a bunch of different things but you have to figure it all out on your own.

Kweh

Grrr. Golden Lotus rep is just so slow. Halfway through honored now but it really drags. Some terrible daily quests there as well.

Don't worry, it really speeds up once you hit Revered and get the commendation. You get Exalted in 5 or so days then.

But yeah, GL dailies are shit, especially when they eventually divide over 3 locations.

tris

Neo Member
I have two guest pass keys that came with a copy of Starcraft II.

No idea if these will are useful for people but quote to reveal them.

Hopefully that worked... If not PM me for the codes.

Enosh

What's worse is you can't even cheat the system as a DK, even if you go Blood you can still get 1 handers...
think they fixed that one didn't they?

edit: also started leveling a horde warrior
I am confused as fuck by the balance

I have fury and prot
fury, about 1k WS crits, 400-ish bloodthirst hits, same raging blow, also for some reason tanking heirloom 1 hander and a crappy lvl 30 green axe do more dmg than the 2h heirloom axe and a lvl 39 2h axe

prot otoh has 700 devastate hits (a spamable no rage cost, no CD ability), 1k shield slam hit and about 700 revenge

basically why the hell am I doing more dmg as prot -.-

cancelled my game sub, it's been a wild couple of months guys.

see you next expansion!
What made you decide to finally quit? I'm heavily leaning towards hanging up my WoW hat once more, as well. Being a raid leader, all the time commitments, and people not playing to a certain minimum level are all contributing to my eventual cancellation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom