• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoplatee

I don't even understand why you don't just get extra Justice Points when are Valor capped. It makes no sense. Wasn't this the case in Wrath/Cataclysm?

Now I know Justice Points aren't all that useful anymore after a while but eh.. It's something!

I think the Valor cap should be raised by another 500.

I don't even understand why you don't just get extra Justice Points when are Valor capped. It makes no sense. Wasn't this the case in Wrath/Cataclysm?

Before a weekly valor cap you could get JP doing regular 80 or 85 dungeons, but there is no longer such a thing as 'regular mode' level-cap dungeons so it's become incredibly tedious to accumulate JP, and that's been the difference in Mists. 2170 JP was pretty damn easy back in the day when people ran 5-man dungeons nonstop for reputation and JP. Now neither of those rewards exist and you get low-quality players in scenarios or 35 minute queues for 'heroics.' The time it takes to cap JP has gone up by a heck of a lot.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Before a weekly valor cap you could get JP doing regular 80 or 85 dungeons, but there is no longer such a thing as 'regular mode' level-cap dungeons so it's become incredibly tedious to accumulate JP, and that's been the difference in Mists. 2170 JP was pretty damn easy back in the day when people ran 5-man dungeons nonstop for reputation and JP. Now neither of those rewards exist and you get low-quality players in scenarios or 35 minute queues for 'heroics.' The time it takes to cap JP has gone up by a heck of a lot.

No one does dungeons anymore either. The rep grind moved to dailies, which you can get VP from which people need t o cap out on.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Now I know Justice Points aren't all that useful anymore after a while but eh.. It's something!

I think the Valor cap should be raised by another 500.

The straight reason is that Ghostcrawler decided points aren't fun. He frequently has a habit of declaring things fun or un-fun.

Hoplatee

Thanks for explaining!

Since I do run dungeons still quite often when tanks can get the Satchel (Which is pretty much non stop and still enjoy them - tanking, not healing because that is really boring in 5 mans) I hope they change 2 bosses ASAP. I know, it won't happen but one can hope... Right?

First one is that boss in Shado-Pan Monastery. The second boss where you have to kill so many mobs before you can even engage the boss (Master Snowdrift). The second boss I would like to be changed is a boss in the Siege of Niuzao Temple instance. Once again the second boss (Commander Vo'jak I think) where waves come at you at such slow pace that you idle 90% of the fight.

Make it so that if everyone has done those fights 3 times in your group (or something like that, make it 3 peopel, whatever) that you could skip to some option to just go to the boss. It was fun once, okay twice, got dull after 3 times and... Yeah, let's not talk about the 10th time. It can't be hard to add and would only make people happy. I can't think of anybody still enjoying those things since there is no challenge and in one case you are waiting pretty much all the time. The bosses are fine, the events before them however are not.

To compare - Jade Serpent / Brewery are my favorite instances because you can clear them so insanely fast and that is extremely fun to do. As a tank :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Thanks for explaining!

Since I do run dungeons still quite often when tanks can get the Satchel (Which is pretty much non stop and still enjoy them - tanking, not healing because that is really boring in 5 mans) I hope they change 2 bosses ASAP. I know, it won't happen but one can hope... Right?

First one is that boss in Shado-Pan Monastery. The second boss where you have to kill so many mobs before you can even engage the boss (Master Snowdrift). The second boss I would like to be changed is a boss in the Siege of Niuzao Temple instance. Once again the second boss (Commander Vo'jak I think) where waves come at you at such slow pace that you idle 90% of the fight.

Make it so that if everyone has done those fights 3 times in your group (or something like that, make it 3 peopel, whatever) that you could skip to some option to just go to the boss. It was fun once, okay twice, got dull after 3 times and... Yeah, let's not talk about the 10th time. It can't be hard to add and would only make people happy. I can't think of anybody still enjoying those things since there is no challenge and in one case you are waiting pretty much all the time. The bosses are fine, the events before them however are not.

To compare - Jade Serpent / Brewery are my favorite instances because you can clear them so insanely fast and that is extremely fun to do. As a tank :p
Ghostcrawler basically said, "we want you to get gear from drops not points because points aren't a fun way to acquire gear."

You are supposed to get JP after you're VP capped for week (I thought they added that in in 5.1? I don't know I never VP cap)? Or is that coming in 5.2?

Ghostcrawler basically said, "we want you to get gear from drops not points because points aren't a fun way to acquire gear."

To be fair, I can understand this way of thinking. It's much more fun IMO to get a drop from a dungeon or a raid than it is to just go spend my valor to get something. Even though I haven't gotten any drops from normal yet, my raid finder wins have been way better than "hurf durf, I've done two weeks of dailies, time to buy an epic!"

That's just me, though.

Angry Grimace

To be fair, I can understand this way of thinking. It's much more fun IMO to get a drop from a dungeon or a raid than it is to just go spend my valor to get something. Even though I haven't gotten any drops from normal yet, my raid finder wins have been way better than "hurf durf, I've done two weeks of dailies, time to buy an epic!"

That's just me, though.

But there wasn't anything preventing you from getting those drops. It's a lot less fun when you never get the drops AND you never get enough points. It only takes ~3 weeks of this before you stop running dungeons altogether. Obviously from a non-raiding casual perspective.

Is there any system for high level progression they'll introduce that'll make everyone happy?

They can't possibly satisfy people during the first tier of content because everyone's been reset; it's hard to feel as powerful as you did at the end of Cataclysm because you were gearing up your weaker gear slots in 5-man heroics and getting epic gems and items from LFR dragon soul.

Now you're in mists playing fetch for farmers and insect men for one epic every 12-ish days and godawful blues from heroics. Here at the every beginning of the power curve at 90 nobody's going to be happy with the rate of progression except at the very bleeding edges of content. I suspect we're waiting until 5.3 for the 'catchup' gearing modes to get switched on, and even then I don't think they'll be quite as generous as the Hour of Twilight heroics.

But there wasn't anything preventing you from getting those drops. It's a lot less fun when you never get the drops AND you never get enough points. It only takes ~3 weeks of this before you stop running dungeons altogether. Obviously from a non-raiding casual perspective.
I actually agree with you here lol. Blizzard is trying to push a more casual friendly game where you can get gear outside of serious raiding, but at the same time they're saying, "screw you" to everyone not raiding because of how difficult it is to get gear.

I really miss the tabards you could wear for rep. I always felt like I was at least getting something out of a dungeon run regardless of whether I obtained any gear. And spending points on gear is fun when I'm not having any luck with drops. It's earned points from spending the same time I'd be spending doing monotonous dailies. So it's not like i'm just getting free stuff.

Tarazet

PTR is up. Bugged like a motherfucker, but still.

And

I really hope that's one or the other. If those new heirlooms really do cost that JP plus turning in the old weapon, there's no way that makes it to live.

DJ Lushious said:
The 4-piece is, indeed, fantastic. And it pains me that I only have iLVL 496 pants and can't even get LFR tier piece drops. My raid group is finally getting tier pieces to drop, but the progress is painfully slow.

Though I have to ask, why glyph for Ursoc? Unglyphed gives you the opportunity to use it at least twice for certain fights. If you have good healz behind you, the extra 20% offered is a complete waste, in my opinion.

You're better off glyphing for Survival Instincts. I find having its uptime every 2 minutes is exceptionally valuable.

Having said all of that, guardian glyphs are pretty lame.

I have all of the glyphs for Druids, so I just play around with all of them. I found that pairing glyphed Ursoc with Renewal is awesome, because the extra HP makes it a ludicrously huge instant heal.

Robin64

Another week of Mogu'shan LFR without a single item. I haven't always completed a full run there each week since launch, but I've always killed at least 2 bosses and most of the time do do a full run. And given I was in there the second week LFR for it came out, that makes.. how many weeks?

Anyway, the point is, this "gear up via raids" is fucking bullshit if we can't.

Kweh

Regarding Tillers and hiring help from farm friends, is it worthwhile to do this? I managed to get Jogu the Drunk as a best friend and he is now chilling in my pond and offers free forecasts which is decent enough, but what do the others offer? Should I aim for anyone in particular?

Regarding Tillers and hiring help from farm friends, is it worthwhile to do this? I managed to get Jogu the Drunk as a best friend and he is now chilling in my pond and offers free forecasts which is decent enough, but what do the others offer? Should I aim for anyone in particular?

You can have the vendor (forget her name), not the seed vendor though unfortunately, move in, which is probably the most convenient.

strafer

Not that surprising.

Will there be any new animations with new character models, or all the same?

They need new anims to support the more complex models (e.g. facial bones). We don't want to lose what's familiar though.

Bizazedo

Another week of Mogu'shan LFR without a single item. I haven't always completed a full run there each week since launch, but I've always killed at least 2 bosses and most of the time do do a full run. And given I was in there the second week LFR for it came out, that makes.. how many weeks?

Not true, you've gotten valor for completing every LFR. By now you should've had enough valor to mostly replace anything out of the Vaults, barring a weapon.

I'm not saying your situation doesn't suck. It sucks bad. I'd be despondent. But, your last line is inaccurate.

Robin64

I think you overestimate how much Valor I would have had. An LFR doesn't give that much (is it 40 or 60?) when you consider even the cheapest thing is 1250. You really have to supplement it with dailies and dungeons, which Blizzard are keen to point out are optional.

I can't be bothered to do more than one faction's dailies in a day, if I bother at all. Right now I do Dominance Offensive, which is about 30 Valor, but the thing keeping me going there is the story. Who knows how that will be when it's over.

I've had enough Valor over time so far to purchase a 489 neck from Klaxxi and 489 shoulders from Golden Lotus. I crafted myself 476 chest and gloves and a 463 2H axe which I've upgraded to 471. Also got "lucky" with a Scenario that dropped 476 boots from the cache. And soon I will have enough Valor to buy another thing, maybe a ring from DO (493ish?). But as you can see, I could really do with some upgrades on other things. A few drops, even ONE drop, from LFR would have been nice.

I'm sure I could "grind" the dailies more than I do, but once you have to apply that word to something, I lose interest.

I have all of the glyphs for Druids, so I just play around with all of them. I found that pairing glyphed Ursoc with Renewal is awesome, because the extra HP makes it a ludicrously huge instant heal.
You have enough healz as Gaurdian. If you're worried about healz, then pick Nature's Vigil, Heart of the Wild + Rejuvenation, or Renewal. And spam the holy hell out of Frenzied Regen after proccing an Incarnation or Berserk. Once you hit heroic raiding, having that Might of Ursoc for a second proc is going to be far more helpful than the additional 20% health once. Again, though, if you're finding yourself at low health consistently as a bear then you've terrible healz behind you and that's not a personally accountable issue.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm sure I could "grind" the dailies more than I do, but once you have to apply that word to something, I lose interest.

The problem I have with this as well, is that the "end-game" with a reputation is that you hit Exalted with them and you're done. You shouldn't have to continue to do their dailies. The current system makes you do that for VP and, even worse, Lesser Charms.

Tarazet

You have enough healz as Gaurdian. If you're worried about healz, then pick Nature's Vigil, Heart of the Wild + Rejuvenation, or Renewal. And spam the holy hell out of Frenzied Regen after proccing an Incarnation or Berserk. Once you hit heroic raiding, having that Might of Ursoc for a second proc is going to be far more helpful than the additional 20% health once. Again, though, if you're finding yourself at low health consistently as a bear then you've terrible healz behind you and that's not a personally accountable issue.

I don't even do normal mode raids. The most I do is tanking Sha of Anger or LFR for valor. Other than that, it's challenge modes, where you will be low from time to time.

Hoplatee

I don't even do normal mode raids. The most I do is tanking Sha of Anger or LFR for valor. Other than that, it's challenge modes, where you will be low from time to time.

How tough are the Challenge Dungeons really? And would it be doable for pugs or is it just pure frustration? I am just in some leveling guild that I never left so I don't really have any guildmates to do it with. :p

Angry Grimace

The problem is that Blizzard seems to think LFR is completely equivalent to running a raid when it isn't because running in a raid group means the group will eventually start funneling you gear. But getting better gear is practically the only reason to play the game if you're not running a raid group because LFR isn't really exciting content outside of meter-padding and alt-tabbing during trash.

Ultratech

I think you overestimate how much Valor I would have had. An LFR doesn't give that much (is it 40 or 60?) when you consider even the cheapest thing is 1250. You really have to supplement it with dailies and dungeons, which Blizzard are keen to point out are optional.

I can't be bothered to do more than one faction's dailies in a day, if I bother at all. Right now I do Dominance Offensive, which is about 30 Valor, but the thing keeping me going there is the story. Who knows how that will be when it's over.

I've had enough Valor over time so far to purchase a 489 neck from Klaxxi and 489 shoulders from Golden Lotus. I crafted myself 476 chest and gloves and a 463 2H axe which I've upgraded to 471. Also got "lucky" with a Scenario that dropped 476 boots from the cache. And soon I will have enough Valor to buy another thing, maybe a ring from DO (493ish?). But as you can see, I could really do with some upgrades on other things. A few drops, even ONE drop, from LFR would have been nice.

Off the top of my head, you get 90 Valor for the first time you complete an LFR segment, so assuming you've got access to all 5 and hadn't done 'em for the week, that's 90x5 (450). You also get 45 Valor per additional run.

Heroics give 80 for your first random run of the day, and 40 per run after that.

Scenarios give 40 for your first random run of the day, and 20 per run after that. (Plus the loot box.)

Even just doing like one random Dungeon, Scenario, and an LFR segment in a day can net you at least 210 Valor, so it's not terribly hard to acquire.

Just looking at your guy right now, you could even stand to spend some JP to upgrade some of those 450 pieces you've got (to the 458 items can you buy), unless you've been unlucky with Heroics as well.

The Dominance Offensive stuff is pretty good right now as well, since it's all 496 stuff, which is well on-par with what drops from the later Normal-mode Raids.

Robin64

I don't have access to anything but Mogu'shan. That's kinda the point, I need better gear to get to the others.

Dungeons, no, bad experiences keep me out of those.

I do tend to do one Scenario a day though.

It's still not an awful lot though!

Edit: I should clarify, with dungeons, I missed going into them on the first day. So of course, by the time I did get in, practically every pug would just run to the boss right away and expect everyone to know what to do. When I didn't, I would receive abuse. Maybe I should brave them again at this point.

And yeah, Dominator's Band is my next purchase and is not very far away. Hoping that's enough to trigger the remaining three LFRs for me.

Tarazet

Off the top of my head, you get 90 Valor for the first time you complete an LFR segment, so assuming you've got access to all 5 and hadn't done 'em for the week, that's 90x5 (450). You also get 45 Valor per additional run.

Heroics give 80 for your first random run of the day, and 40 per run after that.

Scenarios give 40 for your first random run of the day, and 20 per run after that. (Plus the loot box.)

Even just doing like one random Dungeon, Scenario, and an LFR segment in a day can net you at least 210 Valor, so it's not terribly hard to acquire.

Just looking at your guy right now, you could stand to spend some JP to upgrade some of those 450 pieces you've got (to the 458 items), unless you've been unlucky with Heroics as well.

You can't upgrade 450 pieces, the minimum ilevel for Justice upgrades is 458. There's no reasonable reason why anyone who has played since MoP launch shouldn't have, at the minimum, heroic or 463 scenario gear in every slot and more than 2 pieces of Valor gear. That just sounds like a low playtime problem.

Entropia

No One Remembers
How tough are the Challenge Dungeons really? And would it be doable for pugs or is it just pure frustration? I am just in some leveling guild that I never left so I don't really have any guildmates to do it with. :p

It won't be do-able by pugs unless you're all in high-end guilds and know each other. You wouldn't be able to say "LFM Challenge Modes" and expect to get a Gold, Silver or Bronze, lol

Ultratech

You can't upgrade 450 pieces, the minimum ilevel for Justice upgrades is 458. There's no reasonable reason why anyone who has played since MoP launch shouldn't have, at the minimum, heroic gear in every slot and more than 2 pieces of Valor gear. That just sounds like a low playtime problem.

Yeah, I meant buying the 458 gear. I didn't quite clarify that.

Hoplatee

It won't be do-able by pugs unless you're all in high-end guilds and know each other. You wouldn't be able to say "LFM Challenge Modes" and expect to get a Gold, Silver or Bronze, lol

Haha okay, thanks. I will not bother with that then.

Also, I somewhat can see and to some extrent agree with what Robin is saying. My Druid did way more more LFR than my Tank and my Druid is still stuck at 464. My Tank is already rocking 473 in 2 resets. It depends so much on luck. I don't want to be grinding rep on 2 chars so in that way it really blows.

You could buy some stuff from the AH but that it is not possible either for me since my Druid is on a dead server. Heck, Sha is not even getting killed.

Berordn

Depending on the server you can sometimes throw together a decent group. You might not get Gold, but Silver's easily obtainable on most of them in an hour or so.

Tarazet

Haha okay, thanks. I will not bother with that then.

Also, I somewhat can see and to some extrent agree with what Robin is saying. My Druid did way more more LFR than my Tank and my Druid is still stuck at 464. My Tank is already rocking 473 in 2 resets. It depends so much on luck. I don't want to be grinding rep on 2 chars so in that way it really blows.

You could buy some stuff from the AH but that it is not possible either for me since I am on a dead server.

It does depend hugely on luck. My hubby hit 90 on his Monk tank less than a week ago, and he's already ilevel 473. I hit 90 on my DK around the same time, and I'm at 460. But I can't complain too much, because my Druid tank main is at 487 equipped and has never finished an actual raid boss.

Bizazedo

I don't have access to anything but Mogu'shan. That's kinda the point, I need better gear to get to the others.

Dungeons, no, bad experiences keep me out of those.

I do tend to do one Scenario a day though.

It's still not an awful lot though!

Edit: I should clarify, with dungeons, I missed going into them on the first day. So of course, by the time I did get in, practically every pug would just run to the boss right away and expect everyone to know what to do. When I didn't, I would receive abuse. Maybe I should brave them again at this point.

I can't look at your armory, but are you guilded? Do you have friends? Hell, if you're Horde side I'll tank some heroics for you if y'want.

My main underlying point is this....Your luck sucks and I feel bad for you. I really do, not being sarcastic. I wish you could've gotten something from the Vaults, and it sucks that you haven't.

That being said, I don't know if Blizzard can design for you because it sounds as though you are doing a bare minimum. I am glad that you can and still have the potential to get gear as that's vastly superior than "the good 'ol days", but there it is.

LFR = 90 Valor. Two Vaults = 180. One scenario a day is 40. Just that gets you almost halfway to the weekly cap.

Suggestions that are quick and easy? Tillers. Their dailies are extremely quick and if you find out what the individuals like for food, they also give Valor.

Sky Race.

Or just asking here, I'm sure some of us would run you through dungeons.

Bronze is 45min - 1hr, pretty confident it is designed for pugs with those limits. You'll spend a lot of time resetting still but it's not impossible. Naturally, the more people you know in your group the less painful it will be.

Robin64

The Dominance ring will take me to 470. Does that qualify me for HoF and ToES LFRs?

Once I can do five LFRs, with all the chances they offer for loot (I may still be unlucky but I want more chances), and a Scenario each day, that's 730 Valor. Plus Dominance Offensive and August Celestials will take that to 1k. *Then* I might be happier.

I guess part of my grumble was locking out LFRs in this way. Some people get in them a LOT quicker than others. A simple attunement would have been fine, no? Complete the previous raid, unlock the next.

Hoplatee

The Dominance ring will take me to 470. Does that qualify me for HoF and ToES LFRs?

Once I can do five LFRs, with all the chances they offer for loot (I may still be unlucky but I want more chances), and a Scenario each day, that's 730 Valor. Plus Dominance Offensive and August Celestials will take that to 1k. *Then* I might be happier.

I guess part of my grumble was locking out LFRs in this way. Some people get in them a LOT quicker than others. A simple attunement would have been fine, no? Complete the previous raid, unlock the next.

Yes, 470 is enough. You have to do one first to unlock the next one and so on.

Free tip - buy the ring, queue for LFR. If you win some ring you could return the ring you bought to the vendor again to get something else if you so desire. The time on that is 2 hours I believe.

Bizazedo

No, it wouldn't have been fine. You have to gate it or else people with incredibly low ilvl show up, maybe get carried one week by friends or exemplary people in the raid, and then their next raid fails. They already fail on certain bosses due to stupidity with people well-geared.

That and you can't eliminate every time sink, although that risks a dangerous tangent even bringing that topic up.

Robin64

I'm only talking about raids within the same tier. I would of course expect a higher ilvl for the ones coming in 5.2.

Bizazedo

I'm only talking about raids within the same tier. I would of course expect a higher ilvl for the ones coming in 5.2.

I know. It doesn't change the answer, though. Attunements can be cheesed / carried / exploited / run through. We were running 40 people through Lower Blackrock Spire with people quickly leaving and joining to get credit for the prior attunements in vanilla (which was fun as hell, btw. We'd put up 100 gold to the person who could successfully wipe us. Only one person ever collected).

Ilvl is better.

Is there an easy-to-digest guide to all the pet battle dailies that reward Sack of Pet Supplies?

I need flawless battle-stones and I believe only the grand masters' dailies award them...

Bizazedo

Is there an easy-to-digest guide to all the pet battle dailies that reward Sack of Pet Supplies?

I need flawless battle-stones and I believe only the grand masters' dailies award them...

Unsure about the guide, but I got a flawless battle-stone from a random fight with level 12 critters.

strafer

iEFtX1Lkq4wKq.JPG

Also got "lucky" with a Scenario that dropped 476 boots from the cache.

Are you not aware that the first time you kill Sha of Anger, you can loot an item of him which starts a delivery quest in Townlong which nets you a pair of 476 boots?

Yes.

ampere

It depends what your time goal is. If you just want to complete them, you can just bang your head against the wall long enough and get through them eventually. If you want good times, you need a coordinated group with voice communications and a strategy.

I pug people for them via openraid, but I check gear and gems/enchants/reforges and other Challenge mode progress. If someone hasn't touched Challenge modes and has no raiding experience I probably won't consider them. I've found some good people and some bad people, the good ones I keep running with. The healer I found to run them with I met during a poorly planned openraid event someone else made that we both joined. They did not have a strategy planned and left early, but it worked out meeting a healer and a rogue who are good players and dedicated. I couldn't get a group of 4 other people from my guild who were as eager for golds which is why I turned to pugging.

4/9 golds so far, going at a decent pace. My advice if you want to get started in them is to watch lots of videos. Also, make an openraid account and look for events and people posting in chat about challenge mode runs for bronze/silver. The pace will be slower in those and it would be better for learning. Then when you have some experience, someone making a group going for gold is more likely to give you a shot. It helps to know about all of the stuns and buffs that your class can bring and be prepared to switch specs for situations that warrant it.

Check out Theyanger's MMO champion thread for videos and general advice.

Ultratech

Looking some more at the PTR stuff found so far:

-Currently, you need ilvl 486 to queue for the 1st part of Throne of Thunder LFR.
Interesting given how the best gear you currently get from LFR is 483. (Guess they really do want you to upgrade your gear, get Valor gear, etc.)

-Turns out you can access the Isle of the Thunder King...by dying in LFR.
Here's a fun video of the island: 5.2 PTR - Isle of the Thunder King Sight-Seeing

-Turns out the other world boss, Nalak, is just one of those Thundering Azure Cloud Serpents. (Think Alani, but blue!)
I'm gonna assume he drops a similar Thundering Azure Cloud Serpent mount, since it's the only one missing.

-Wrathion found a new buddy. (Spoilers probably.)

FLEABttn

Banned
Looking some more at the PTR stuff found so far:

-Currently, you need ilvl 486 to queue for the 1st part of Throne of Thunder LFR.
Interesting given how the best gear you currently get from LFR is 483. (Guess they really do want you to upgrade your gear, get Valor gear, etc.

Well that's going to piss a lot of people off.

That's going to have to be lowered or supplemented elsewhere.

Enosh

lol had a 54k HP heroic spiritbinder wipe tonight

would have been really pissed if we didn't kill it a few attempts latter, now it's just more of a funny thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom