• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarazet

I stumbled across this site linked from Elitist Jerks about Guardian Druid stat priority. I made some changes to my stat priority and gemming:

Crit > Agi > Hit/Exp cap > Dodge

...Which basically meant gemming for straight Crit when possible, which sounds insane as a tank.. and using the Agi/Crit enchants instead of Stam/Dodge. But, the difference was pretty dramatic. I was rolling in heroics with our guild group, and the healer said Power Word: Shield and Renew was enough to get me through entire dungeons. I checked the meter and she did 12K HPS average over the course of a Scholomance run. I did 4K just through Nature's Vigil and Leader of the Pack by keeping glyphed FR up.

I wonder if it might be better to use the Crit and Dodge elixirs instead of the Stam flask. It very well may be.

McNei1y

Maybe I should level my paladin and just become a tank to get some cool mounts.

I really need to start doing dailies more. I haven't even hit exalted yet with Lotus (then again I started doing Lotus a few weeks ago). It's just a pain that I NEED to spend time doing dailies.

knicks

Care to elaborate? The worst thing I can think of about it is camping rare spawn pets combined with CRZ.

It is completely unbalanced. There are pets that are outrageously overpowered. A level 17 pet can dodge a level 25 pet. Or a 24 pet will miss a level 19 pet. Not to say that something like that should never be able to happen, but to happen so often? Also every time you que after you finished a battle, I would say 95% of the time you battle against the same exact opponent which truthfully is a disaster. And when I say that I mean one person wins every time. And this isn't whining exactly. I have been on the winning side in this situation, and to be honest I feel sorry for the person who I have to play for five consecutive rounds. It is just terrible.

There are also times when the system bugs, and a player goes three times in a row. Again, I have been on that side of the battle before. And even though that might be to my advantage, it has to be fixed. I understand that a lot of people think pet battle is absolutely pathetic but they certainly did showcase it like it would be a significant feature.

Enosh

I wonder if it might be better to use the Crit and Dodge elixirs instead of the Stam flask. It very well may be.
probably, but elixirs run out after death right? think most druid (and monk too) tanks roll with an agility flask

Berordn

Agility wins if you want to use a flask, for monetary concerns or whatever, simply because it provides (small) amounts of both. Statistically Crit/Dodge elixirs usually win.

Tarazet

Agility wins if you want to use a flask, for monetary concerns or whatever, simply because it provides (small) amounts of both. Statistically Crit/Dodge elixirs usually win.

Flasks are horrendously expensive on my server, and the elixirs are much less. So I just have to not die, which is usually not a problem.

Ultratech

I really need to start doing dailies more. I haven't even hit exalted yet with Lotus (then again I started doing Lotus a few weeks ago). It's just a pain that I NEED to spend time doing dailies.

Yeah, Lotus is the only thing I've got left at the moment, since I gotta hit Revered with them to unlock Shado-Pan and August Celestials. I'm on Honored right now, but I've avoided doing it for so long, since there's so many damn dailies.

Right now, I got ~5 quests in one area, then 3-4 more in another, then another 3-4 in yet another area. It gets to be a bit much. So in all, I'm doing something like 12-15 quests just for Golden Lotus now.

Meier

Holy cow it's so different. :O I can't even equip a melee weapon any more?! I guess I need to read up on this.. a lot.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I went from playing on a crappy old laptop with everything on low to a new desktop with everything on ultra. I am no longer running into a permanent wall of fog 2 ft in front of my character :D

Hit ilvl 485ish on the shadow priest and now my wife has decided to play again so dusting off the 77 guardian druid. Man it's been well over a year and just setting up my action bars took like 10 minutes to sort everything out. Running around 2-3 hitting everything in Grizzly Hills which is where we left off. Going to be so weird levelling up through Cata and what not ridiculously over-levelled.

As a casual she was completely at sea looking at her 77 hunter again, sort of hilarious. I should have taken video of her flying around drunk on cuba libres, thank god for 'Follow'.

Hoplatee

Yeah, Lotus is the only thing I've got left at the moment, since I gotta hit Revered with them to unlock Shado-Pan and August Celestials. I'm on Honored right now, but I've avoided doing it for so long, since there's so many damn dailies.

Right now, I got ~5 quests in one area, then 3-4 more in another, then another 3-4 in yet another area. It gets to be a bit much. So in all, I'm doing something like 12-15 quests just for Golden Lotus now.

Yeah, there are so many quests and they really are not fun. The worst set is that deer meat / feathers. Terrible. Doesn't help that you only get 110 rep from them. Cloud Serpent dailies weren't great either but there you would get proper rep per daily (600 or something?) so it felt like you actually went fast.

I am now at 10800/12000 so I hope I reach revered tomorrow. Then I can finally start doing them on my other char as well so the grind won't be that bad then. More boring however since I can't kill shit on that one.

I am fine with the Klaxxi dailies since they give you a few buffs that help you out to kill stuff. Those exploding eggs are amazing.

I hope the next factions that open up for me have some proper fun dailies but I fear it won't :p

strafer

End of the world as we know it.

N5hX8.jpg

Hoplatee

Oh man. Going Sunwell on my Druid for the lulz / boredom and already cleared it earlier with other char and yup, the bow drops. Hate it when stuff like that happens, haha.

Not that fussed about it though. Would rage if it were actually something I could use. :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's kind of true that there isn't any fucking reason at all to have dual-spec but not triple spec beyond an arbitrary gold sink (which is practically not a sink, its 2 daily quests worth of gold).

Windam

Scaley member
Anyone here on GAF play on Illidan? Just started the game a few days ago. Haven't really seen many players yet (still in Tranquillien), but supposedly Illidan is the most populated server?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Our raid kinda sucked tonight. We got up to Elegon, but we had to PUG 4 DPS :O Time to recruit new people me thinks. Anyway, things sucked hardcore on Ele, we only got two spark phases down the first time which is abysmal. Someone let theirs go through. I think thats our biggest failing and the DPS meters reflect that. Our top guy was 71k which is still bad on that fight with the increase to damage debuff on Elegon.

Is anyone else struggling as well? I figured with the nerfs in place now it'd be easier, but we just had sloppy phase changes with a protector being up while he was spawning sparks.

Logs for our best attempt: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-w8kjp08pkpvnkv5j/dashboard/?s=2070&e=2518
I don't understand how the Rogue was doing 30k...like..how do you even? He was a PUG fill in and did fine the other fights.

Tarazet

It's kind of true that there isn't any fucking reason at all to have dual-spec but not triple spec beyond an arbitrary gold sink (which is practically not a sink, its 2 daily quests worth of gold).

I don't mind the gold sink, it's just a hassle to fix my bars every single time I want to switch from Resto to Feral for my offspec.

Torraz

So I just resubbed after having been out of the loop since 2 months after Cataclysm launch.

Where do I begin? Classes, skills, builds etc. feel completely foreign.

Is there a ranking of current class desireability?

Thanks for any input/links/guides.

Hoplatee

Oh my. I though Golden Lotus was bad but now I experience the Shado-Pan dailies. Golden Lotus was awesome compared to that.

Is there a ranking of current class desireability?

Was in the same situation as you.

Anyway - Tanks for dungeons I'd say. Great fun and great to solo old content if you are into that. Healers aren't bad either. From my experience playing both of these is that you are always wanted. Class does not seem to matter much. Not sure which classes you have available to play.

Unless you want to do some raid that is not LFR... Kind of hard to link achievement if you aren't given any chance. I am sure I could do any of those but yeah.. :(

Anyone here on GAF play on Illidan? Just started the game a few days ago. Haven't really seen many players yet (still in Tranquillien), but supposedly Illidan is the most populated server?

Illidan is high pop yeah, but there's a lot more of playing on Mal'Ganis which would be a comparable experience. If you just started and are interested in playing on the same server as GAF people, I would just reroll on Mal'Ganis. You'd hardly be losing anything since you say you've only played a few days. Some are in the same guild, but mostly we're more spread out. We do enjoy a global chat channel though.

Can't help you now myself beyond this post as I'm unsubbed at least until 5.2 hits. Playing a bit of EVE in the mean time.

Torraz

Oh my. I though Golden Lotus was bad but now I experience the Shado-Pan dailies. Golden Lotus was awesome compared to that.

Was in the same situation as you.

Anyway - Tanks for dungeons I'd say. Great fun and great to solo old content if you are into that. Healers aren't bad either. From my experience playing both of these is that you are always wanted. Class does not seem to matter much. Not sure which classes you have available to play.

Unless you want to do some raid that is not LFR... Kind of hard to link achievement if you aren't given any chance. I am sure I could do any of those but yeah.. :(

I have 85 priest, warrior and mage. 80 warlock, paladin, death knight and shaman. 82 druid. The rest are all a bit below.

I played a lot of mage and priest and paladin in the prior expansions. Kinda tempted to first do warrior as that one is 85 already. If I want to do leveling again perhaps I'll do warlock this time...

Hoplatee

I have 85 priest, warrior and mage. 80 warlock, paladin, death knight and shaman. 82 druid. The rest are all a bit below.

I played a lot of mage and priest and paladin in the prior expansions. Kinda tempted to first do warrior as that one is 85 already. If I want to do leveling again perhaps I'll do warlock this time...

Be sure to pick one or two max if you want to do some endgame stuff (raids) as well. It really is terrible (at this moment?) to maintain multiple chars. I am doing that at the moment and it takes me around 1.5 hour to do daillies on them both. Sometimes more, sometimes less. If you are not interested in that and just want to dungeons/leveling then that won't matter.

At one point (month or something judging from how I go through them at this rate) you can just stop doing them but it is something to keep in mind.

And I can only say good things about my Warrior leveling and 90 experience. You can't go wrong with that one. You can so much shit with Prot and still get away with it. It is amazing.

Torraz

Be sure to pick one or two max if you want to do some endgame stuff as well. It really is terrible (at this moment?) to maintain multiple chars. I am doing that at the moment and it takes me around 1.5 hour to do daillies on them both. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

At one point (month or something judging from how I go through them at this rate) you can just stop doing them but it is something to keep in mind.

And I can only say good things about my Warrior leveling and 90 experience. You can't go wrong with that one. You can so much shit with Prot and still get away with it. It is amazing.

Thank you very much for your input and the warning. I was actually planning on taking things a lot more casually this time around, as I have a lot less gaming/free time at the moment. Will begin tomorrow after work.

Any opinion on what talent tree / build to go for for leveling? Is prot still fine? And how about dungeon queues?

Berordn

I've got three characters at 90, and after I did the dailies on one, I'm not really compelled to go and do them on others regularly. I just play them as I feel.

I still log on to them to handle profession stuff and the like, but none of the content is so difficult that you really need to keep up with dailies, valor capping and LFR to get gear. Heroic 463s can and will suffice, if you're running with regular groups.

Torraz

I've got three characters at 90, and after I did the dailies on one, I'm not really compelled to go and do them on others regularly. I just play them as I feel.

I still log on to them to handle profession stuff and the like, but none of the content is so difficult that you really need to keep up with dailies, valor capping and LFR to get gear. Heroic 463s can and will suffice, if you're running with regular groups.

No regular groups atm. Most of my guild/friends quit during Cataclysm :(. Fitting name, heh :(.

Hoplatee

Thank you very much for your input and the warning. I was actually planning on taking things a lot more casually this time around, as I have a lot less gaming/free time at the moment. Will begin tomorrow after work.

Any opinion on what talent tree / build to go for for leveling? Is prot still fine? And how about dungeon queues?

Yeah, editted my post a bit more. Protection is amazing for leveling. You will never die, you can pull so many things and just giggle at them and stuff. I'm sure Fury/Arms is fine as well but I did not level as that so can't comment on it but I am sure it is fine.

And uh, dungeon queues? As Prot? Mmm. Around 1 second to 30 seconds. Seriously, I have never been in the queue longer than 1 minute. Not while leveling and not at 90. So don't worry about that :p DPS might take a looooooong time. And if you tank lvl 90 dungeons you probably get a goodie bag which has gems, money, chance on rare mounts and stuff.

Any build is fine. Not many changes that really do matter. If you tank alot I would go for Shockwave, Second Wind so you never die outside of dungeons, Disrupting Shout for mass silence, 75 talent is whatever you prefer and the same goes for 90. I went with Avatar.

No regular groups atm. Most of my guild/friends quit during Cataclysm :(. Fitting name, heh :(.

Same. It is just me with one other friend. I kind of like it though. No 3 evenings a week to raid and stuff, no drama, nothing. Makes the game much more enjoyable but I do miss the raiding sometimes now that I am able to do it. Just don't want to join a guild and be expected to be there all the time again.

Oh man. Going Sunwell on my Druid for the lulz / boredom and already cleared it earlier with other char and yup, the bow drops. Hate it when stuff like that happens, haha.

Not that fussed about it though. Would rage if it were actually something I could use. :p

I had a binding drop for my hunter. lol

Finally got to i-level 460 yesterday and did the first two starting raids in LFR. I hate the loot system. Not just because I didn't get any loot, but because the whole thing makes you feel like you got cheated. Bosses should drop loot. I like to see the loot the drops and I like to see people win stuff. That alone at least sort of validates the time put into doing LFR (I know it's not that long, but whatever). And even if I don't win anything, at least I know the fight produced something. Currently, I'm sure there are many boss kills in LFR where no one gets any loot. The whole bag reward thing is crappy and makes me not want to go back into LFR again.

Is anyone else surprised that a loot based game that's trying to hook people into raiding, even casually, adopted a system where you can do multiple raids and not even know if people got loot? Part of what makes people try for gear in wow is seeing other people with cool gear. Now you don't see anything. Makes killing bosses highly anticlimactic.

In other news I got up to twin emps in AQ40, but couldn't down them. I can out dps their healing, but I can't finish them off before I run out of mana. So I guess locks are hosed on that fight?

Hoplatee

Finally got to i-level 460 yesterday and did the first two starting raids in LFR. I hate the loot system. Not just because I didn't get any loot, but because the whole thing makes you feel like you got cheated. Bosses should drop loot. I like to see the loot the drops and I like to see people win stuff. That alone at least sort of validates the time put into doing LFR (I know it's not that long, but whatever). And even if I don't win anything, at least I know the fight produced something. Currently, I'm sure there are many boss kills in LFR where no one gets any loot. The whole bag reward thing is crappy and makes me not want to go back into LFR again.

Is anyone else surprised that a loot based game that's trying to hook people into raiding, even casually, adopted a system where you can do multiple raids and not even know if people got loot? Part of what makes people try for gear in wow is seeing other people with cool gear. Now you don't see anything. Makes killing bosses highly anticlimactic.

This is mostly how I feel as well. It really is kind of terrible. I also think that if you use a bonus roll you should atleast get something. I am not talking about epics, but just give the player something other than gold. Make it a flask, a silly pet or whatever. I don't care about any of these things but I am sure that many do. Using all your bonus rolls and just get gold is kind of dull as well.

In other news I got up to twin emps in AQ40, but couldn't down them. I can out dps their healing, but I can't finish them off before I run out of mana. So I guess locks are hosed on that fight?

Aww that sucks. :( How much HP % they at when you go OOM?

Windam

Scaley member
Illidan is high pop yeah, but there's a lot more of playing on Mal'Ganis which would be a comparable experience. If you just started and are interested in playing on the same server as GAF people, I would just reroll on Mal'Ganis. You'd hardly be losing anything since you say you've only played a few days. Some are in the same guild, but mostly we're more spread out. We do enjoy a global chat channel though.

Can't help you now myself beyond this post as I'm unsubbed at least until 5.2 hits. Playing a bit of EVE in the mean time.

Thanks, will do in a few days! Also, when I tried the WoW 14-day trials a few years ago, I swear there was a keybinding that would let you swap weapon sets automatically. So as a hunter I could go from bow-sword really quickly. Am I just imagining this, or did Blizz remove this feature along with the ammunition system? Currently using Outfitter to get around it.

Reprise

Neo Member
Be sure to pick one or two max if you want to do some endgame stuff (raids) as well. It really is terrible (at this moment?) to maintain multiple chars. I am doing that at the moment and it takes me around 1.5 hour to do daillies on them both. Sometimes more, sometimes less. If you are not interested in that and just want to dungeons/leveling then that won't matter.

As an alt-oholic, this is driving me up the wall at the moment, I'm so used to having 3 or 4 chars going at the same time but because I started late, even with the rep boost I'm coming to the realisation that I have to make 2 chars the focus, so I picked my lock (ranged dps) and monk (melee, tank, heals) for both pve and pvp entertainment.

But I also want to play my rogue and hunter as well, gah!

Thanks, will do in a few days! Also, when I tried the WoW 14-day trials a few years ago, I swear there was a keybinding that would let you swap weapon sets automatically. So as a hunter I could go from bow-sword really quickly. Am I just imagining this, or did Blizz remove this feature along with the ammunition system? Currently using Outfitter to get around it.

Ammo was removed, and hunters only use ranged weapons now. Lots of changes over the past few years in regards to systems like that, mostly for the better.

Berordn

Weapon sets can be dragged to bars and those can be keybound if you felt like it. I think I remember what you're describing, and I think it got axed in favor of the current equipment manager, which essentially works the same.

There's no reason to do that as a hunter anymore though, since hunter melee is deader than the dinosaurs.

Rokam

Going through random WoW streams on Twitch, found a guild doing some heroic progression start listening....and I hear Cybrix. Oh god why?!?!?! Dude is everywhere.

Westlo

As an alt-oholic, this is driving me up the wall at the moment, I'm so used to having 3 or 4 chars going at the same time but because I started late, even with the rep boost I'm coming to the realisation that I have to make 2 chars the focus, so I picked my lock (ranged dps) and monk (melee, tank, heals) for both pve and pvp entertainment.

But I also want to play my rogue and hunter as well, gah!

Everyone remember how this was the "Play whatever character you want" expansion, since we had shared achieves and mounts and pets etc, obliviously they meant play whichever character you want at the start of MOP, because that's the only one you'll seriously do!

So what reps give freee epics at exalted? I am on an alt and just can't remember which ones give hand outs.
So on icy-vein's site, the rep-grind for golden lotus supposedly takes 3 weeks. Maybe I'm getting old and just like to complain all the time now, but I just don't like that at all. I know they want to extend the life of the game as much as possible, but rep grinds being limited to dailies and only so many dailies a day is not the answer. For me it is more frustrating. And that's only to get exalted with one faction! Then you have to worry about shado-pan (I guess this unlocks at revered with golden lotus?) and Celestials. Blah.. I think most people just want to gear up quickly, but with how hit and miss LFR seems to be, your best choice would be to get rep gear
well, spending money the AH would be the quickest lol
. But neither of them provide any quick option to get anything. So for now, I'm trying to decide what I want to do. I may cancel my sub for a while since I have no desire grinding 3 straight weeks of dailies and then some. I miss the rep tabards in BC and Wrath.

This is the end of my complaining, I'm such stickler for money, but I may just start buying stuff of the AH. I know I can get honored with golden lotus in a week or less and make two epic level patterns, so that will help. Anyway, I'm gonna be late for work haha. May post when it gets slow today.

Mr. Robot has added a cool new feature where you can ask it what best to spend your VP on. Will upgrading item x be better than purchasing item y? It tells you! I like it a lot.

http://blog.askmrrobot.com/2012/12/new-features-find-your-upgrades/
That's really cool!

FLEABttn

Banned
The thing that gets me is that one of the excuses for making 10 and 25 man raids share the same lockout was that people felt compelled to do all 4 versions in WotLK and this was causing burnout induced subscriber churn. But MoP rolls around and they remove the daily quest limit, and when people complain about burning out from feeling compelled to do all the dailies every day, Blizz's reaction is "well, maybe do them every 3 days".

The following expac ought to bring back the 25 a day limit and ought to gate the grinds better if they insist on doing them to this extent again.

Then again, I found WotLK to be near perfection that didn't need to be messed with all that drastically in pretty much every respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom