• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Damn, brewmaster monk gearing is crazy. agi flask, food, enchants, metagem, trinkets, the lot. Basically no tank gear at all. I tanked normal shek'zeer with about 230k less hp than the other (dk) tank, and took the same damage within about 1%, and did the most damage to boot.

It's akin to Druid Guardian and Feral tanking/DPS. There's no change in your gear aside from maybe how you reforge and gem.

Stagger is actually a pretty bad ass mastery, but you have to be careful with it to remove it at the appropriate times or else it can fuck you up lol

Nugg

My guild finally cleared the Sha of Fear yesterday. Competition is pretty fierce on my realm, so it feels like we're super late or something, but we're still pretty happy.

Are server transfers still pretty expensive? Last night the stark truth that I need to transfer to a PVE server and get off of Thunderlord was reaffirmed. I was getting ganked repeatedly by some pally while doing golden lotus dailies and I went berserk. Logged over to my other faction's toon and griped him out for like 15 minutes, which of course is dumb because it just makes gankers laugh and accomplishes nothing. Plus, I said some really bad things and probably should have my account banned for it. I can't handle pvp :(

Berordn

Are server transfers still pretty expensive? Last night the stark truth that I need to transfer to a PVE server and get off of Thunderlord was reaffirmed. I was getting ganked repeatedly by some pally while doing golden lotus dailies and I went berserk. Logged over to my other faction's toon and griped him out for like 15 minutes, which of course is dumb because it just makes gankers laugh and accomplishes nothing. Plus, I said some really bad things and probably should have my account banned for it. I can't handle pvp :(

$25 still, iirc. They do deals every now and then, but it's rare.

$25 still, iirc. They do deals every now and then, but it's rare.
Thanks. The main thing that has held me back this whole time is leaving behind multiple toons with maxed out professions, as well starting over in a new guild and losing my exalted guild status perks. It's gonna suck, but leaving is better than raging.

EDIT: I caved in last night and blew a bunch of gold on the darkmoon caster trinket, as well as the spelltwister robe and gloves. I have no patience and yet I'm still only at like 464 i-level. Do you guys have an opinion on whether i should spend valor points on upgrading 476 gear and justice points on upgrading 463 gear? I'd like to be able to do all the raids that are available in LFR.

Hoplatee

Thanks. The main thing that has held me back this whole time is leaving behind multiple toons with maxed out professions, as well starting over in a new guild and losing my exalted guild status perks. It's gonna suck, but leaving is better than raging.

EDIT: I caved in last night and blew a bunch of gold on the darkmoon caster trinket, as well as the spelltwister robe and gloves. I have no patience and yet I'm still only at like 464 i-level. Do you guys have an opinion on whether i should spend valor points on upgrading 476 gear and justice points on upgrading 463 gear? I'd like to be able to do all the raids that are available in LFR.

For what it is worth - you are exalted in no time again. It really goes fast.

e - commenting on your edit - Don't waste valor points on that (yet). I think it is wiser to save them and then buy things later on. Would boost your ilvl more than upgrading things since it is really expensive. JP upgrading however is fine if you run lots of dungeons. Upgrading one blue item is around 0.5 ivl so do not expect miracles.

Other than that you just have to be lucky in those 2 raids you can do in LFR. Make sure you do Sha Of Anger for free epic boots and a chance on some loot as well. That is how I did it. (also bought things from AH like you)

Now.. that other world boss. I still have not seen him. :/

For what it is worth - you are exalted in no time again. It really goes fast.

e - commenting on your edit - Don't waste valor points on that (yet). I think it is wiser to save them and then buy things later on. Would boost your ilvl more than upgrading things since it is really expensive. JP upgrading however is fine if you run lots of dungeons. Upgrading one blue item is around 0.5 ivl so do not expect miracles.

Other than that you just have to be lucky in those 2 raids you can do in LFR. Make sure you do Sha Of Anger for free epic boots and a chance on some loot as well. That is how I did it. (also bought things from AH like you)

Now.. that other world boss. I still have not seen him. :/
The AH seems to be the best way, but I'm already running low on gold. I need to upgrade my weapon and my leggings which are both below 463 and that should help a little bit. Once I get those to drop from temple of the jade serpent and gate of the setting sun, I'll focus my attention to the AH once more to try and get over the 470 i-level hurdle. I did the first half of moshu'gan vaults again this morning after the reset and nada. It's funny
and sad
because at the end half the raid groaned as another raid with almost no loot occurred.

Berordn

Yeah, it's not worth it to spend valor on upgrades if there's still large upgrades from the factions. Dominance Offensive/Shieldwall have 496 gear, which is worth more than upgrading 476 epics, point for point.

Yeah, it's not worth it to spend valor on upgrades if there's still large upgrades from the factions. Dominance Offensive/Shieldwall have 496 gear, which is worth more than upgrading 476 epics, point for point.

Yeah the only >=LFR piece I'm missing now is my second trinket, and I've committed to getting the drop from Elegon rather than buying one, as it's so much better than every piece you can buy (I have the Shieldwall one in other slot). Burning my VP now upgrading my >=489 stuff while I do LFR to replace my 476 epics slowly with >=483 drops.

Berordn

Yeah the only >=LFR piece I'm missing now is my second trinket, and I've committed to getting the drop from Elegon rather than buying one, as it's so much better than every piece you can buy (I have the Shieldwall one in other slot). Burning my VP now upgrading my >=489 stuff while I do LFR to replace my 476 epics slowly with >=483 drops.

Yeah, there are exceptions to the trinket, and if you refuse to do the factions for whatever reason then it's better than just sitting on excess valor, but for the most part you're better off upgrading HoF and ToES LFR gear than 476.

Geez it's amazing what I miss when questing. I hadn't checked out the rep rewards with the Shieldwall Offensive. That might as well be a priority over Golden Lotus rep at this point with the higher i-level gear. Thanks, again.

Nice! Do you recall how long it took to hit exalted? I'm sure it will take at least a couple of weeks, but hopefully not as long as golden lotus rep.

Not offhand, but it's by far the fastest because of 1) extra rep award storyline quests and 2) the beastmaster arena quests you can do daily on top of the regular five or so rep dailies. Just remember to get the 40g "double rep" item once you hit Revered from the quartermaster. The other nice thing about Operation Shieldwall is that you get rep for Black Prince while doing it, too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If they did, they would be raid tanks.

The fact that Warlock tanking doesn't exist is bullshit. Then again, I'm probably in the minority of thinking there's no particularly good reason to have pure DPS classes in the game at all in the current environment.

Ultratech

Nice! Do you recall how long it took to hit exalted? I'm sure it will take at least a couple of weeks, but hopefully not as long as golden lotus rep.

Yeah, it goes by pretty quick. You get about 5 quests a day and they give pretty decent rep.
Then once you hit certain points, you get Story quests which add even more rep.

Once you hit Revered and grab the Commendation, it goes by super quick. (Plus, you get a free Mount from the last story quest and you can buy another one at Exalted.)

In all, I forget how long it actually takes, but it's still not bad at all.

The fact that Warlock tanking doesn't exist is bullshit. Then again, I'm probably in the minority of thinking there's no particularly good reason to have pure DPS classes in the game at all in the current environment.

I wouldn't be opposed to it. It'd be kinda neat to have an actual Cloth tank.
Besides, there's nothing totally wrong with more Tanks.

Oh yeah, and you can buy the Swift Windsteed from the Blizzard Store now.
http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100002357

product

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What makes you feel like that?

What benefit do they have other than less utility? They aren't simming ahead anymore (Blizzard really doesn't have the ability to balance to those 5% levels so its variable per patch who does the most DPS) and practically every other DPS class hybrids have is viable in the first place.

Slayerx

You are not the only one. If all classes could tank in some capacity, well not all but warlocks, rogues and hunters, a lot of the issues with queues and grouping in general could be solved. I love the trinity system but it is time to expand it and make everyone be able to perform at least 2 roles, or even better eliminate tanks and make it possible for anyone to become a tank if they want to gear up for that.

Blizzard could do some really interesting things with warlock tanking. In my head, I was pondering what it would be like to have the void be able to do the tanking (not so OP as they were when doing Obsidian Sanctum), but something that required the lock to do the healing for his pet. Might be an interesting mechanic they could add that turned the lock into the healer and the pet into the tank. perhaps with lock dps generating some kind of resource to do the healing to keep the pet alive. Of course, the pet would have to be designed so that regular healers were unable to heal it. And it might as well be a fourth spec that limited lock OP-ness when outside of instances. Probably a dumb idea, but it's fun to brain storm.

FLEABttn

Banned
What benefit do they have other than less utility? They aren't simming ahead anymore (Blizzard really doesn't have the ability to balance to those 5% levels so its variable per patch who does the most DPS) and practically every other DPS class hybrids have is viable in the first place.

Yeah, the argument about why hybrids shouldn't be punished for being hybrids is now flipped on its head with how pures shouldn't be punished for being pures.

I'm actually a bit surprised that arguments to hybridize them to some extent haven't been more prevalent. Oh, the lessons to learn for the next game.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah, the argument about why hybrids shouldn't be punished for being hybrids is now flipped on its head with how pures shouldn't be punished for being pures.

I'm actually a bit surprised that arguments to hybridize them to some extent haven't been more prevalent. Oh, the lessons to learn for the next game.

I'm curious in how you could "hybridize" a mage. Would they heal with Arcane? Tank with Frost?

Bizazedo

Naw, I think you're right. It's a good idea. Or even let people heal the Void, but have the Warlock have to "merge" or be possessed by the Void Walker or Doomguard to be able to tank so you can get away with giving him a new toolset and not worry about a two in one character with tank + dps.

It would help.

Still, though, people have to want to do it. As an example, a Paladin can raid heal, but if the player refuses to even go for the gear..

FLEABttn

Banned
I'm curious in how you could "hybridize" a mage. Would they heal with Arcane? Tank with Frost?

Frost tank maybe. Iceblock doesn't wipe aggro in this spec, various shields are defensive CD's, significant spell interruption resist, lower DPS to compensate for that, spells are high high threat.

I dunno, just spit balling. Specifics aren't something I really had in mind, just the general idea that if hybrids are equal to pures, then pures have a similar but opposite problems hybrids used to have. Though not as bad as hybrids had it, for sure.

I haven't tanked or healed in a while, but my impression was that tanking and healing were simply too high-stakes for many players and that DPS is just much easier to play; so isn't the problem really that DPS doesn't have important mechanics in the usual dungeon/raid encounter? You see groups struggle when more is required of DPS like Garallon and the HoF boss with the spear/CC mechanic, and I feel like DPS should be pushed that hard in every encounter.

I'm really part of the problem, I should look into a secondary healing spec for my shadow priest.

Bizazedo

I haven't tanked or healed in a while, but my impression was that tanking and healing were simply too high-stakes for many players and that DPS is just much easier to play; so isn't the problem really that DPS doesn't have important mechanics in the usual dungeon/raid encounter? You see groups struggle when more is required of DPS like Garallon and the HoF boss with the spear/CC mechanic, and I feel like DPS should be pushed that hard in every encounter.

I'm really part of the problem, I should look into a secondary healing spec for my shadow priest.

You have to have a mouthbreather role or else people get frustrated and quick.

I know that sounds harsh, but..:(.

Hoplatee

I don't know, I think it isn't all that bad. Both from healing and tanking perspective I feel like I don't have that much to do or feel really challenged enough that it would be too much for other players that would want to try it. The few times I do DPS I actually feel more stressed to keep up but that is because in DPS mode my e-peen starts to come alive again and stare at meters. My DPS rotation is harder than my tanking rotation for example. Now I have not done Challenge Runs or any proper raiding (LINK ACHIV PLZ LOL) but I can not imagine that the Tank life is one that is full of stress or something. I never experienced that in all the years. Healer at times can be.

(Assuming you mean that with high stakes - risky and difficult compared to dps)

I also remember some other class that could tank in Vanilla for a while but that only lasted very short. I believe it was Shaman? I can't even remember if this was beta or not. Has been so long ago >_>

Tarazet

In some ways, tanking is easier than doing DPS, because you have control over what goes where on the map. If you're a DPS, every tank will throw different variables at you, and you will often have to react quickly to a mistake or a variation in strategy. If you're the tank, you can run things the same way every time. If you run with a persistent group, then they get used to your habits and that in turn makes it easier on your healers and DPS.

Hoplatee

In some ways, tanking is easier than doing DPS, because you have control over what goes where on the map. If you're a DPS, every tank will throw different variables at you, and you will often have to react quickly to a mistake or a variation in strategy. If you're the tank, you can run things the same way every time. If you run with a persistent group, then they get used to your habits and that in turn makes it easier on your healers and DPS.

Pretty much this. You can and will be in control. I honestly do believe that if you play some DPS class that can heal or tank you should try it once. It really gives you some new perspective on things even if you don't think you need it.

Plus you'll be even more aware of little things. See some tank getting loads of damage on certain mobs all the time when you are healing/dpsing? Tank it next time, figured out exactly what it was and then avoid it on your tank. That makes the game so much fun for me.

Yes, I know, heroics don't matter but still, it is fun!

TimeKillr

So I have a dilemma.

I can now change up 2 of my gear with valor pieces. Here's my profile:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lothar/Thorka/advanced

Looking at my gear, there's 3 pieces of gear I can currently upgrade to valor pieces - my hands. feet and the darkmoon trinket.

The hands replacement gives me the following:
+177 str
-94 sta
+150 parry
+68 mastery

The feet replacement gives me the following:
+97 str
+146 sta
+206 parry
+107 dodge
-215 mastery (I need to reforge and figure out stats, but I think I'd reforge dodge as it's really not as useful)

The trinket replacement gives me this:
+185 sta
A much much much much better on-use

I'm feeling the hands are the least useful of the bunch, but then I'm unsure about either the trinket or the boots. The boots give me much better overall stats, but I'm just wasting the on-use on the darkmoon trinket...

What do you guys think?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So I have a dilemma.

I can now change up 2 of my gear with valor pieces. Here's my profile:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lothar/Thorka/advanced

Looking at my gear, there's 3 pieces of gear I can currently upgrade to valor pieces - my hands. feet and the darkmoon trinket.

The hands replacement gives me the following:
+177 str
-94 sta
+150 parry
+68 mastery

The feet replacement gives me the following:
+97 str
+146 sta
+206 parry
+107 dodge
-215 mastery (I need to reforge and figure out stats, but I think I'd reforge dodge as it's really not as useful)

The trinket replacement gives me this:
+185 sta
A much much much much better on-use

I'm feeling the hands are the least useful of the bunch, but then I'm unsure about either the trinket or the boots. The boots give me much better overall stats, but I'm just wasting the on-use on the darkmoon trinket...

What do you guys think?
The feet you mention, are they the ilvl489 Yu'lon Guardian Boots? If so, why aren't you looking at the ilvl 496 Groundbreaker Sabatons instead which are better and cost the same? :)

Kenai

Just expand on the Druid idea and give a 4th spec to every class, excellent opportunity to throw in a tank/heal spec for all the pures without completely changing a current spec's role and alienating fans who like it as-is. I'd vote for giving a spellcaster-type spec to pally so INT plate gets a bit more use. Not sure what to give the others. Giving one class 4 specs and then not expanding on the concept for other classes that really could use it is totally dropping the ball imo, especially when so many classes are suffering from similar predicaments as bear/feral was with several abilities in their kit that don't make a lot of sense for their role.

Robin64

Just went through the first part of Heart of Fear for the first time. I thought Garalon was quite an interesting fight. No gear again, but this time it didn't matter as it was just new content. :)

Also got my first Sigil of Wisdom! Yay. (I've done with the others)

Yeah, but it shouldn't take new content to increase a horribly awful drop rate and system. Nothing says anti-raid like zero loot off every boss. I just started LFR and because of all the people that go weeks and weeks without seeing a drop, I don't even want to bother with it. Is that really what Blizzard is going for? I had no issues with the previous LFR loot system in Cata. Yeah, it sucked when people needed on everything, but that didn't mean they won loot more than anyone else. I think it was complained about a lot because the system had no other faults, which means it was actually a pretty good system that encouraged people to do LFR frequently with multiple toons. Now it's complete poop. I think it's time for a tantrum on the wow forums lol.

FLEABttn

Banned
When Blizz says identical drop rate, I'm curious if they mean rate of acquiring loot or literally the same drop chance percentages.

Because they're not the same thing.

Kenai

Yeah, but it shouldn't take new content to increase a horribly awful drop rate and system. Nothing says anti-raid like zero loot off every boss. I just started LFR and because of all the people that go weeks and weeks without seeing a drop, I don't even want to bother with it. Is that really what Blizzard is going for? I had no issues with the previous LFR loot system in Cata. Yeah, it sucked when people needed on everything, but that didn't mean they won loot more than anyone else. I think it was complained about a lot because the system had no other faults, which means it was actually a pretty good system that encouraged people to do LFR frequently with multiple toons. Now it's complete poop. I think it's time for a tantrum on the wow forums lol.

It's actually better than it used to be though. Not only does more loot go out overall (we just don't see it), but we get gold on every kill if we don't get an item, and can run multiple times a week on the same toon for loot using coins.

I think the raid loot could be better though, especially for people who go a long time managing to see nothing. I just think this system > the old one.

It's actually better than it used to be though. Not only does more loot go out overall (we just don't see it), but we get gold on every kill if we don't get an item, and can run multiple times a week on the same toon for loot using coins.

I think the raid loot could be better though, especially for people who go a long time managing to see nothing. I just think this system > the old one.
Are we sure that more loot goes out overall? I have a hard time believing that. With the previous LFR system, you always had around 4 pieces of loot drop off of each boss. I'd be surprised if more than 1-2 people are getting loot per boss with the current LFR, and that may be over-estimating. I liked the previous system in that I could see what dropped, so I knew it was real. Also, as time went by and more people picked up the pieces that they actually needed, my own chances of getting that specific item increased. Now people are getting random drops that can be repeats of gear they already have. There is no way to roll on what you need or hope to get what you need. Getting gold is sort of nice, but gold is not exactly a hard thing to come by in MoP. If I wanted to make gold I'd be doing something other than LFR. I run LFR for gear, so not getting or seeing anything for multiple runs is just a joke to me. I'm not trying to rant or anything. Just how i feel though :)

Krogan

Who here has camped the rare spawn pets? I am not even going to try for the Minfernal (since his move set is so so) and I have Emerald Proto-Whelp, Spawn of Onyxia. I'm currently camping the Scourged Whelpling and I have yet to even see one spawn. I feel like its one thing to have a pet on a rare spawn rate and its another to be left feeling like only camping Galleon would be less of a waste of time. So for those of you that do have these pets how long did it take you, how often did you check the spawn area, or any other valuable info that would help.

Angry Grimace

The reason they don't do it is because its hard to make healing interesting without making it overpowered.

Hoplatee

Can you do the special story bits from Shieldwall dailies all in a row if you don't do them the moment they pop up? Since they give lots of rep I have not been doing them on my other char untill I get the 100% rep boost but now I wonder if you could actually do them like that. Anyone able to tell me?

Fire mage healing.

Seriously, I would like to see a hybrid healing mage. Fire for cauterizing wounds, arcane for dispelling and giving people alter time/temporal shield, and frost for shielding. Or something along those lines.

Who here has camped the rare spawn pets? I am not even going to try for the Minfernal (since his move set is so so) and I have Emerald Proto-Whelp, Spawn of Onyxia. I'm currently camping the Scourged Whelpling and I have yet to even see one spawn. I feel like its one thing to have a pet on a rare spawn rate and its another to be left feeling like only camping Galleon would be less of a waste of time. So for those of you that do have these pets how long did it take you, how often did you check the spawn area, or any other valuable info that would help.

Scourged Whelpling is the worst one, aside from the Minfernal. But none are so bad that I felt I have to use my flawless stones on them yet (again, aside from the Minfernal).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Fairly sure the story parts are linked to the rep, I ended up doing the last 4 parts in 1 day with the boost.

They're gated by rep, towards the end (with the rep commendation in effect) you'll get 3-4 parts one after the other without the need to do dailies inbetween.

It's pretty clear the progression was designed without the rep commendation in consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom