• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNei1y

Hmmm... Terrace came out in November.

Maybe weeks!

So our MT took the wrong H MoV lockout and couldn't join the rest of the raid. So we were not able to attempt Heroic Will tonight. Luckily, a GM put our tank on the rest of the raids lockout during our raid tonight. We went into HOF and attempted Heroic Blade Lord. Got him to 18% but thats it. The Unseen Strike mechanic is so stupid.

Knch

Anglers isn't too bad since it's only like 3 dailies per day, and they give good rep (like ~500? per quest) along with raising your Fishing skill. They're also typically pretty easy unless you gotta go fish for X amount of fish (I skip those ones, they take too long.).
Fishing dailies take about as many casts as the amount of fish you need at 600 fishing, if you were maxed in Cata about twice as much. (Long since maxed Anglers, so not really sure about the latter part...)

Lorewalkers you can get done in literally a few hours; use a guide and find all the scrolls and listen to all the lore stuff. Then you can get your spiffy disc mount.
Using a guide (+ waypointing addon) and a 310% mount, it takes about an hour total to get to all the scrolls. You can skip storytime by logging out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Terrace I don't mind doing. It's Heart of Fear that makes me want to stab myself.

CassSept

Fishing dailies take about as many casts as the amount of fish you need at 600 fishing, if you were maxed in Cata about twice as much. (Long since maxed Anglers, so not really sure about the latter part...)

Eh, it depends which one. There is one that takes a long time and a lot of casts ("Shocking!" the one with fishing up Dojani Eels in the river), but others are faster and require far less casts, if any. It's like with cooking dailys, there are 4 that take less than a minute complete with travel, and then there's Fatty Goatsteak.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still just laugh at Ghostcrawler trying to counter the idea that dailies are bullshit grinding by saying "different people like to do different things" as though dailies and dungeons are somehow comparable on the basis of being different things, despite the fact that everyone hates one of them and only some people hate the other. I've literally never met a single person that would prefer doing dailies to pretty much anything else in the entire game.

Reprise

Neo Member
I might be the only one, but I've found i've done less heroic 5 mans this time around, mainly because of the time it takes to do the dailies, then off to honour grind in pvp.

Thankfully (due to tailoring) I managed to skip pretty much all the 5 man heroics so I can go straight to LFR.

Don't think I've completed all of the 5 man heroics yet!

Robin64

I've also barely done 5-mans. Once I've done the dailies I can be bothered to do for the day, a Scenario, some PvP, pet battles, and an LFR if it's the right time of the week.. Well, something has to be missed. And that's been 5-mans.

I also got my first bit of T14 LFR gear last week. :eek:
Finally, a drop!

(It also dropped boots, but the ones from Sha were better)

Knch

Eh, it depends which one. There is one that takes a long time and a lot of casts ("Shocking!" the one with fishing up Dojani Eels in the river), but others are faster and require far less casts, if any. It's like with cooking dailys, there are 4 that take less than a minute complete with travel, and then there's Fatty Goatsteak.

10 fish in 11-12 casts (at 600 fishing, assuming you have a pole with +fishing (and equip it))

Fatty goatsteak takes no time at all, did it last night, only took two minutes because one of the goats kicked me down the mountain (stood to close to my void.) Would have finished even faster if I tagged more than one at a time. Unless you're on a very busy server, or pull too many monkeys, it shouldn't take that long to kill 6-12 goats.

TimeKillr

I find that now, I don't do heroics anymore either. Very rarely. I did one a day when I hit revered with the first factions because I got so burnt out doing dailies and I couldn't stand it anymore, but now I'm doing dominance offensive and I find that heroics are getting ridiculous.

For some reason, it seems all I ever get in heroics is people from latin servers (who, for some reason, are always incredibly shitty) or people who just got the gear to get into them. I never get good groups...

Thankfully, I'm massively overgeared for the heroics right now, and can do the shit I was doing at the end of Wrath at the beginning of MoP - I do crazy massive pulls and still can't die with a crappy healer... It's ridiculous at this point, and I wonder what it's going to be like down the road.

Hoplatee

Thankfully, I'm massively overgeared for the heroics right now, and can do the shit I was doing at the end of Wrath at the beginning of MoP - I do crazy massive pulls and still can't die with a crappy healer... It's ridiculous at this point, and I wonder what it's going to be like down the road.

Reminds me of Wrath full DPS gear tanking. Most fun I ever had in whole of Wrath!

TimeKillr

Reminds me of Wrath full DPS gear tanking. Most fun I ever had in whole of Wrath!

I might have to try that at some point. It's pathetic, really...

I get into a heroic, and if I get buffed, I hit almost 800k hp. It's ridiculous... At that point, a Death Strike without me getting damage heals me for 56k and gives me like a 70/80k damage shield. On many bosses, I've had healers go dps because it's just not worth it - I'd have to try, but I'm sure I can solo most of the heroic instances now. It's truly pathetic...

McNei1y

I might be the only one, but I've found i've done less heroic 5 mans this time around, mainly because of the time it takes to do the dailies, then off to honour grind in pvp.

I've done a lot less heroics than I did in Cataclysm. The big difference is that Cataclysm heroics dropped an important crafting material at the end of each heroic. Mists heroics don't really offer anything except a bag and quick runs. And I mean very quick. My guild completed "The Wall" heroic in about 5-6 minutes.

Gravijah

I still just laugh at Ghostcrawler trying to counter the idea that dailies are bullshit grinding by saying "different people like to do different things" as though dailies and dungeons are somehow comparable on the basis of being different things, despite the fact that everyone hates one of them and only some people hate the other. I've literally never met a single person that would prefer doing dailies to pretty much anything else in the entire game.

In general, I definitely prefer dailies to at level dungeons/raiding, and have spent more hours doing dailies across the various Expansion tiers. Still, I don't really see why gear is locked by factions; They should be for vanity/fun things.

Draxal

RNG is FUN GUYS.

(I want to kill GC next time he says it again).

And I prefer dailies to lfr, at least I'm officialy making progress on something (Rep) when doing a daily. RNG works in a guild raid/organized pug system, because you will see those people again, but in a totally random thing like lfr, it's soulcrushing to do those raids without getting more than gold/valor.

CassSept

For one, I much much prefer doing dailys than tabard rep. Seriously, tabard rep was mindnumbingly boring. I don't understand how chainruining 5 heroics over and over for hours on end is better than doing several dailys for different reputations every day. Especially since they aren't that bad, except for Wu Kao and the godawful Golden Lotus. Here I agree, I can't believe that got past testing phase. Especially since it is required to unlock two other factions.

Now, say Dominance Offensive is done really really well and I hope they follow in that suit. That line was damn fun and interesting.

10 fish in 11-12 casts (at 600 fishing, assuming you have a pole with +fishing (and equip it))

Fatty goatsteak takes no time at all, did it last night, only took two minutes because one of the goats kicked me down the mountain (stood to close to my void.) Would have finished even faster if I tagged more than one at a time. Unless you're on a very busy server, or pull too many monkeys, it shouldn't take that long to kill 6-12 goats.

I think we are talking about different dailys. 10 fish in 11-12 casts sounds like daily Cloud Serpent daily. Shocking! is 7 eels that have average drop of 20% or less and really do increase your fishing skill faster than the gains you net from dailys.

Fatty Goatsteak, I'm on a busy server so maybe it's that. Admittedly, it was much worse a month ago, let alone 2 months ago when it was near impossible and took 15+ minutes. It's really a horribly designed quest and I'm not alone on that, just check wowhead. It is a horrid, horrid quest and probably the worst single level 90 daily quest.

I ended up quitting after trying to do dailies on two raiding characters each day on a fairly busy server. I wasn't having any fun doing them, my raids were getting pissy because I refused to do them so fuck you, I quit.

McNei1y

I understand the idea to "work" for gear... but man it really is work. Doing dailies for an hour, per faction, a day... and it takes like 3-4 weeks to even get revered/exalted with one faction.

I don't mind dailies, but I hate that I'm limited to how many i can do (that's assuming dailies are the only way to gain rep). And what you said earlier regarding excess justice points is so true. I don't see how anyone has excess justice or valor points with how few we get for each daily quest, heroic run, raid. I would love to upgrade pieces of gear i have before they remove that option, since getting drops in LFR is so random, but I can't even get enough points (both valor and justice points) to buy new pieces of gear let alone upgrade.

I got gloves and a cloak yesterday in LFR and, even though i was still needing them to upgrade my 463 cloak and gloves, was really bummed and disheartened because I really want tier and a weapon. That and I already have crafted gloves of the same i-level. Why would I roll on gloves? Why can't I just roll on actual drops?
RNG is FUN GUYS.

(I want to kill GC next time he says it again).

And I prefer dailies to lfr, at least I'm officialy making progress on something (Rep) when doing a daily. RNG works in a guild raid/organized pug system, because you will see those people again, but in a totally random thing like lfr, it's soulcrushing to do those raids without getting more than gold/valor.
I think RNG can be fun if you always see loot drop off bosses and then can roll on that specific gear against a handful of other people. Then you get to see RNG at work and at least someone is benefiting from the boss kill. RNG in the sense that you can't even choose what you're rolling on and not being able to see anything drop on most LFR runs is really really boring.
For one, I much much prefer doing dailys than tabard rep. Seriously, tabard rep was mindnumbingly boring. I don't understand how chainruining 5 heroics over and over for hours on end is better than doing several dailys for different reputations every day. Especially since they aren't that bad, except for Wu Kao and the godawful Golden Lotus. Here I agree, I can't believe that got past testing phase. Especially since it is required to unlock two other factions.

Now, say Dominance Offensive is done really really well and I hope they follow in that suit. That line was damn fun and interesting.
The important thing is choice since everyone is different. I liked doing tabard runs over dailies because I wasn't limited to how much rep I could earn in a day other than the amount of instances I could run in that time. I think having both dailies and tabards for grinding rep is much preferable to what we have in MoP.

I understand the idea to "work" for gear... but man it really is work. Doing dailies for an hour, per faction, a day... and it takes like 3-4 weeks to even get revered/exalted with one faction.

Yeah, I think I'm done doing dailies. Been doing them for a while and just bored now. Here is where I stand

7TmhZ.jpg

Angry Grimace

The reason people don't do Heroics is because there isn't any reason to do it, not because dailies are inherently more fun.

Hoplatee

So... I just had some blue geared Druid completely rage at me in LFR because of my overhealing. I am aware of this because I am a Druid (... and thus experienced this for years) and always see Disc Priests also topping this because they press 2 buttons but no one ever complains, let alone rage at me about it. His tone was so shit that he also got kicked but now I wonder..

LFR, overhealing, never mana issues, always near the top of healing meters unless someone has normal/heroic gear that I can not obtain - is that bad, normal or am I really terrible? Is overhealing really that bad? Obviously I will not do the same shit when I get to do normal raids but in LFR mana seriously does not matter to me so I spam shit to keep myself entertained but getting insulted about something that does not matter in that case just frustrates me. Rather spam too much to make up for the terrible geared/afk healers than doing nothing.

I checked his armory, terrible gems, weird choices and so on but now I am just wondering how people feel about overhealing? Is it really THAT bad? It is bound to happen if you are doing things with Disc Priest as a Druid. And the better your gear, the more overhealing you do, no matter if you like it or not?

The reason people don't do Heroics is because there isn't any reason to do it, not because dailies are inherently more fun.
ding ding ding we have a winner! I quit heroics as soon as I had all i-level 463 gear. More annoying to me though is not being able to get more than 1000 valor a week. That is just ridiculous. It's not like it rains on trees. We certainly shouldn't lose the small amount of valor from daily quests.

So... I just had some blue geared Druid completely rage at me in LFR because of my overhealing. I am aware of this because I am a Druid (... and thus experienced this for years) and always see Disc Priests also topping this because they press 2 buttons but no one ever complains, let alone rage at me about it. His tone was so shit that he also got kicked but now I wonder..

LFR, overhealing, never mana issues, always near the top of healing meters unless someone has normal/heroic gear that I can not obtain - is that bad, normal or am I really terrible? Is overhealing really that bad? Obviously I will not do the same shit when I get to do normal raids but in LFR mana seriously does not matter to me so I spam shit to keep myself entertained but getting insulted about something that does not matter in that case just frustrates me. Rather spam too much to make up for the terrible geared/afk healers than doing nothing.

I checked his armory, terrible gems, weird choices and so on but now I am just wondering how people feel about overhealing? Is it really THAT bad? It is bound to happen if you are doing things with Disc Priest as a Druid. And the better your gear, the more overhealing you do, no matter if you like it or not?
If the raid doesn't wipe, it shouldn't matter. And who cares what goes on in LFR? That's my opinion. Perhaps you made him feel insecure about his own healing skills.

EDIT: oops on the DP

Hoplatee

If the raid doesn't wipe, it shouldn't matter. And who cares what goes on in LFR? That's my opinion. Perhaps you made him feel insecure about his own healing skills.

EDIT: oops on the DP

Thats what I thought as well. He went 'IF YOU DONT HAVE MANA PROBLEMS YOU SHOULD SPAM MORE SPELLS??' which would have resulted in... You guess it, more overhealing so I countered him with saying that his whole argument was based on nothing because then I would overheal more. Then he just insulted me saying I sucked. And well, you can guess how the rest of his words went.

I did mess up during this argument on some boss because of it, got ressed and then continued to beat him anyway.

McNei1y

Yeah, I think I'm done doing dailies. Been doing them for a while and just bored now. Here is where I stand

hahaha we're about the same except for a few changes. I'm exalted with GL, honored with DO, and honored with Shado-Pan. I'm lower friendly with Klaxxi, Neutral with August, and haven't really started anything else. I am also Exalted with the Tillers though.

Hoplatee

Just did LFR with 5 (!) Resto Druids so my concerns about my overhealing are taken away already. The guy was just a big troll/idiot/terrible player.

FLEABttn

Banned
Another week with no Sha touched weapon from Terrace. It's going to be a long weekend so I may do another 1-3 terrace for the chance with spending a coin but jesus christ.

Yeah, I'd argue that heroics are the least rewarding they've ever been in relation to other systems in the game. And that's what my friend put down in his "reasons for cancellation" box when he quit last month.

Ghostcrawler, for saying that older systems emphasized dungeons too much, is publicly incapable of considering the notion that the pendulum has swung too far the other direction. I'm certain he'll back peddle for the next expansion pack which won't feature this system. And his Twitter feed will say something about lessons learned and "what we thought at the time" when faction grinding was a lesson learned in vanilla and TBC. But it won't be from introspection; he seems to lack the ability.

At this point, Greg's had his time, it's time for a new Lead System designer.

TimeKillr

I think we are talking about different dailys. 10 fish in 11-12 casts sounds like daily Cloud Serpent daily. Shocking! is 7 eels that have average drop of 20% or less and really do increase your fishing skill faster than the gains you net from dailys.

Fatty Goatsteak, I'm on a busy server so maybe it's that. Admittedly, it was much worse a month ago, let alone 2 months ago when it was near impossible and took 15+ minutes. It's really a horribly designed quest and I'm not alone on that, just check wowhead. It is a horrid, horrid quest and probably the worst single level 90 daily quest.

The 2 fishing dailies that require you to fish with The Anglers are really not that bad when you hit enough fishing skill.

Essentially, the fish are random drops attached to when you successfully fish another fish. The rate is pretty high - I'm almost at 600 fishing, and when I do it, I equip a lure, then it's like 3 minutes and I have all my fish. It's ridiculously fast and I LOOOVE when I get them.

CassSept

The 2 fishing dailies that require you to fish with The Anglers are really not that bad when you hit enough fishing skill.

Essentially, the fish are random drops attached to when you successfully fish another fish. The rate is pretty high - I'm almost at 600 fishing, and when I do it, I equip a lure, then it's like 3 minutes and I have all my fish. It's ridiculously fast and I LOOOVE when I get them.

Huh, I always had terrible luck with it, even at 600 fishing with fishing hat and lure, weird. The, ergh, 'beauty' of RNG I guess.

It seems today is a special day.

6 Years Ago...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/29/World_of_Warcraft_-_The_Burning_Crusade_coverart.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Wow, it's been that long? I started playing soon after the release of TBC and I absolutely loved the expansion. Though MoP is pretty damn close.

Robin64

Got a group that did Lei Shi, and then HOLY CRAP, Sha dropped my weapon. Unf unf unf. Yes! All those weeks of bad luck culminated in wonderful good luck.

ch0mp

ding ding ding we have a winner! I quit heroics as soon as I had all i-level 463 gear. More annoying to me though is not being able to get more than 1000 valor a week. That is just ridiculous. It's not like it rains on trees. We certainly shouldn't lose the small amount of valor from daily quests.
I don't understand... you want more dailies? The valor cap is there for a reason.

Yeah, I'd argue that heroics are the least rewarding they've ever been in relation to other systems in the game. And that's what my friend put down in his "reasons for cancellation" box when he quit last month.

Ghostcrawler, for saying that older systems emphasized dungeons too much, is publicly incapable of considering the notion that the pendulum has swung too far the other direction. I'm certain he'll back peddle for the next expansion pack which won't feature this system. And his Twitter feed will say something about lessons learned and "what we thought at the time" when faction grinding was a lesson learned in vanilla and TBC. But it won't be from introspection; he seems to lack the ability.

This is pretty much the exact same reason I quit and almost exactly how I feel about the situation. My wife misses playing WoW with me though. It breaks my heart that I can't stand playing the empty shell that's left of the game.

What's strange is that people did in fact ask for this when they wanted a return to the UBRS/Stratholme style dungeon grind, where blues were all you had outside of constant raiding and you weren't getting showered with epics every single queue.

Trouble is they forgot to include all those cool class quests (and timed challenges) that made going back into URBS/Stratholme at level 60 rewarding in different ways for different people. Instead they gave us Challenge Modes, which while interesting are not particularly rewarding for the time invested.

FLEABttn

Banned
What's strange is that people did in fact ask for this when they wanted a return to the UBRS/Stratholme style dungeon grind, where blues were all you had outside of constant raiding and you weren't getting showered with epics every single queue.

Trouble is they forgot to include all those cool class quests (and timed challenges) that made going back into URBS/Stratholme at level 60 rewarding in different ways for different people. Instead they gave us Challenge Modes, which while interesting are not particularly rewarding for the time invested.

...while making other areas of the game more rewarding and rain epics from the sky. Despite my severely poor luck with LFR, that place can be/is a loot pinata. They've simply relocated where the candy is.

My time doesn't run out for another 5 times (kicking myself for not changing the subscription duration) but I cancelled today. Shit sucks.

Angry Grimace

Another week with no Sha touched weapon from Terrace. It's going to be a long weekend so I may do another 1-3 terrace for the chance with spending a coin but jesus christ.

The problem here is that they're confusing a lot of concepts. For example, when people say "we want more to do," that doesn't mean they want existing systems taken away from them and the "things you get to do" are not placed in front of them as an artificial gate.

Ultratech

Got a group that did Lei Shi, and then HOLY CRAP, Sha dropped my weapon. Unf unf unf. Yes! All those weeks of bad luck culminated in wonderful good luck.

;_;

Hell, I'm near convinced I'm never getting that gun from her.
Nothing but Gold and useless gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom