• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarazet

I might be the only one, but I've found i've done less heroic 5 mans this time around, mainly because of the time it takes to do the dailies, then off to honour grind in pvp.

Thankfully (due to tailoring) I managed to skip pretty much all the 5 man heroics so I can go straight to LFR.

Don't think I've completed all of the 5 man heroics yet!

I've had Pandaren Ambassador since before 5.1. Burned out on dailies. Still run heroics and scenarios to hit valor cap and upgrade gear. Once I get the weapon capped out and finish the 6K legendary quest, I'll probably just shelve my main and diddle around a bit on my Paladin.

By the way, I did my first raid as a fresh 90 Holy Paladin. I had gotten tier legs from the Sha of Anger and then the boots from turning in the quest, but otherwise heroic and PvP gear. I was putting out better numbers than my Druid with ilevel 473 and a Sha-touched weapon with Int gem. The class is seriously broke as shit.

I don't understand... you want more dailies? The valor cap is there for a reason.
Wait, what does having more dailies have to do with me not liking a weekly valor cap? I should have been more clear. I'm talking about the weekly valor cap. It's 1000 a week, which is stupidly low. I capped valor last week early and then wasn't getting the valor from dailies even though it's a really small amount. I'm not arguing for more dailies. I just think there shouldn't be a weekly valor cap. I liked it when there was a maximum amount of valor you could have in your currency at any given time like before MoP and it should be closer to 4000, not 3000. Not that it matters much. As angry grimace already stressed, acquiring justice/valor points is a really slow process. The answer isn't to provide more dailies, but to increase the amount of valor you get instead. At least that's what I want, personally, if that clarifies my position at all.

I'm tired of grinding rep only to see that I can't buy any of the rep gear because i have no valor points. That is so frustrating.

Hoplatee

By the way, I did my first raid as a fresh 90 Holy Paladin. I had gotten tier legs from the Sha of Anger and then the boots from turning in the quest, but otherwise heroic and PvP gear. I was putting out better numbers than my Druid with ilevel 473 and a Sha-touched weapon with Int gem. The class is seriously broke as shit.

Hasn't that always been the case with Paladins though? For as long as I remember they were pretty much kings. If played well of course. There were so obviously stupid overpowered in the first weeks of Cataclysm when we were competing for first kills on our server. Got nerfed pretty fast but it did not matter all that much if I remember right.

In other news, forgot to do Terrace on my Warrior so just did it. Now I have 2 chars with Sha weapon but not even close to getting the sigils done + the quests after. Oh dear.

e) as for the valor cap. I also think it should be increased. Yes I still do Heroics a lot but that is ONLY because of the Satchel. It makes me lots of money, gives me rare mounts, pets and even more money from all the gems/flasks I sell. So as a tank you at least have some interest in doing those even though they are really dull. And if you already have everything the bag has to offer, plenty of money and so on... Yup, then I can't think of any reason either. With a bit of luck one heroic is around 250 to 300g profit for me.

e 2) Wow. I just went to my farm and no mobs spawned after gathering & planting new seeds. I always have 8 or so mobs and they have way too much hp. This was a very special moment!

Finished A Test of Valor today, thank goodness.

Now to see how many times I get steamrolled before I win either of these BGs. That'll be enjoyable.

Ultratech

This is interesting...

People had been complaining about the removal of the old specialized BS weapons that got introduced in BC. (Lionheart Executioner, Dragonstrike, etc.)

Looks like they added new BS recipes for 'em in the newest PTR build.
http://ptr.wowhead.com/search?q=date:2013-01-16#professions

Unfortunately, the mat costs are pretty ludicrously expensive, requiring a fair number of Living Steel, Lightning Steel Ingots, and Spirits of Harmony.
(And if you want the best version of those weapons? Even more mats!)

Looks like if you were to fully upgrade one of those weapons to their best version, you'd need 30 Lightning Steel Ingots, 18 Living Steel and Spirits of Harmony, and the original weapons (their mats are already included in my math). No idea what the stats on the items are yet and whether or not they're replica weapons or super-powerful.

ch0mp

Wait, what does having more dailies have to do with me not liking a weekly valor cap? I should have been more clear. I'm talking about the weekly valor cap. It's 1000 a week, which is stupidly low. I capped valor last week early and then wasn't getting the valor from dailies even though it's a really small amount. I'm not arguing for more dailies. I just think there shouldn't be a weekly valor cap. I liked it when there was a maximum amount of valor you could have in your currency at any given time like before MoP and it should be closer to 4000, not 3000. Not that it matters much. As angry grimace already stressed, acquiring justice/valor points is a really slow process. The answer isn't to provide more dailies, but to increase the amount of valor you get instead. At least that's what I want, personally, if that clarifies my position at all.

I'm tired of grinding rep only to see that I can't buy any of the rep gear because i have no valor points. That is so frustrating.
I don't think 3000 or 4000 cap makes any difference, you're going to spend it the minute you get 2250 anyway. Take away the weekly valor cap and people will feel like they have to grind out every piece straight away. Valor is just there to fill slots with gear that you haven't got from raids.

Putting them behind a rep grind was a stupid idea though.

I can't link to it, but I believe there was a GC tweet that said flying made the world "too safe" or something similar.

I don't really care either way, to be honest. Just hurry up and get it here. Seeing as how I'm never going to get a piece of loot from normal modes, I'd like to be doing something so I can work towards new gear.

FLEABttn

Banned
That will be some crazy ganking fest for a while then

I actually prefer vanilla-ish ganking to what we've had since flying mounts. Easier to prepare for, harder to gank and run away when you're magnetically attached to the ground.

Flying mounts are carebear clouds, if you're trying to avoid PvP (and I don't mean that derogatorily, I fucking hate PvP in this game) but if you're already on the ground and someone wants to gank you from their flying mount, well....

1336547916425.jpg

Berordn

If Cataclysm's done anything, it's prove that they can't make questing interesting or meaningful with flying mounts. They're a great convenience when you're done, but there's not much action while leveling with them around.

I actually prefer vanilla-ish ganking to what we've had since flying mounts. Easier to prepare for, harder to gank and run away when you're magnetically attached to the ground.

Flying mounts are carebear clouds, if you're trying to avoid PvP (and I don't mean that derogatorily, I fucking hate PvP in this game) but if you're already on the ground and someone wants to gank you from their flying mount, well....

1336547916425.jpg

Dammit, I can't find the video/term for when bears would bomb you from the sky via flight form and charge. But yeah, that.

And PvP on the new zone doesn't really matter on a lopsided server like Mal'Ganis, but turning on cross-realm there would just be absurd, like the week or two before Mists launched and the Molten Front.

Hoplatee

Nice. Better. And so on.

The new legendary item is a meta gem, not head enchant.

Heroic Pandaria dungeons now award 100 Justice points per boss. Gold drops for those bosses have also been changed from a static 50 gold to a 40-60 gold range. Less gold will drop in groups consisting of less than 5 players.

Patch 5.0 Valor gear costs 50% less, and Patch 5.1 Valor Gear now costs 25% less.

Druid -

Naturalist: This new passive learned at level 10 by Restoration Druids iNaturalist: This new passive learned at level 10 by Restoration Druids increases all healing done by the Druid by 10%..

Pretty hot :eek: Did Druids really need this? Are they behind much?

This was known already but whatever -

Transmogrification rules have been broadened for several weapon types.

Two-handed axes, maces, and swords can be Transmogrified to each other.
One-handed axes, maces, and swords can be Transmogrified to each other.
Staves and polearms can be transmogrified to each other.

Cool stuff.
Warrior -

Defensive Stance now reduces damage by 15% (was 25%).

Seems a lot?

Second Wind will no longer regenerate health while the Warrior is stunned.

I am happy about that. Feared they were going to nerf SW but to me it does not matter much for soloing old content / questing. PVP I don't care about.

Looks like they left Shockwave they way it is now. Would be silly to change it. EDIT - nope, still there. QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ. That change is really terrible. PVP things that make my PVE life harder part 10000.

Edit -

You can now earn bonus reputation for your first dungeon and scenario of the day. You can select which reputation you choose to champion by selecting it from the reputation panel on the character screen. When you queue for a dungeon or scenario, the UI will remind you which reputation you are championing and allow you to change the reputation from there. (You cannot change that reputation once you are in the dungeon or scenario.)

Wut. It is late but am I reading it right that you can do one daily run to grind rep with whatever faction?

And this confirmed now -

The chance of getting personal loot in Raid Finder and the chance of a successful bonus roll in Raid Finder have been greatly increased for the 5.0 raids.

And the best of everything....

Running the Master Plow across underground Virmen will cause them to pop out of the ground at 30% health and stunned.
Wild Crops will now occur less often.

Thanks!

The cost of Valor Point gear introduced in patch 5.0 has been reduced by 50%.
The cost of Valor Point gear introduced in patch 5.1 has been reduced by 25%.

Blizzard are determined to fuck anyone who dares leave and may want to come back to their friends at some point. Don't quit for even a week because then you'll always be further behind.

Clipse

Wait. Why aren't they converting current Valor Point gear to Justice Point gear since we're getting new VP gear with 5.2? Isn't that how it's always been when new tiers are released?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Blizzard are determined to fuck anyone who dares leave and may want to come back to their friends at some point. Don't quit for even a week because then you'll always be further behind.

You do realize that they are REDUCING the prices, which means cheaper gear...

EDIT: They aren't converting it to justice? Fuck that, looks like I won't be coming back from my break.

Relax.MX

Im a noob on WoW (and is also my first MMO), my char is a Warrior ( Fury ) im in level 21 and i feel like im weak vs other players...this is gonna change in the future? or i pick a bad combination? :(

CassSept

So basically they're increasing justice point generation without adding anything meaningful to buy for them, LOL. JP in MoP are so useless.

Glad that they're keeping their word about keeping somewhat linear progression.

I wonder what will be ilvl in ToT LFR. 496 would be somewhat disappointing, I hope they give us another half-tier of increase to 503, that would be nice.

Acidote

Finished A Test of Valor today, thank goodness.

Now to see how many times I get steamrolled before I win either of these BGs. That'll be enjoyable.

It is not.

I've managed to grab a Silvershard Mines win. That's the easy part. The hard part for me comes with Temple of Kotmogu, as my faction NEVER wins it in my battlegroup. And I'm a handicap for my team as I never touch this game's awful pvp and wouldn't be there if they didn't FORCE me to.

Enosh

Im a noob on WoW (and is also my first MMO), my char is a Warrior ( Fury ) im in level 21 and i feel like im weak vs other players...this is gonna change in the future? or i pick a bad combination? :(
don't worry low level pvp is all out of whack
especially since veteran players usually have heirloom gear, that's gear that's quite a lot better than your questing greens ^^

Totalriot

Fury needs great gear, so while leveling this means either heirlooms (which you don't have) or dungeon blues. Maybe you should try out arms for leveling, as it is not as gear dependent and is generally considered as the superior PVP spec.

I don't think 3000 or 4000 cap makes any difference, you're going to spend it the minute you get 2250 anyway. Take away the weekly valor cap and people will feel like they have to grind out every piece straight away. Valor is just there to fill slots with gear that you haven't got from raids.

Putting them behind a rep grind was a stupid idea though.

I still don't understand why this even matters or why you're defending it? Heaven forbid people play this game a bunch as if they're not already doing exactly that :p People who feel the need to do grind stuff right away shouldn't be a concern of blizzards. The problem there lies with the people who don't know how to manage their time or what they do (if it's even gonna cause burnout, which I don't think it will). And you say that as if the people who will feel the need to do everything right away will be unhappy. I'm not seeing it. It's just stuff to do in game, but with a legitimate reward. This is unlike the current system where the amount of time it takes currently to grind rep or earn valor points is too long and LFR will have replaced a bunch of the upgrades you can get with valor before you have enough valor points to buy each piece. The whole argument about needing to worry about people who will "feel the need" to do everything right away is so hokey to me. It's just a regurgitation of blizzard's weak defense of their current system. Their "concerns" of the few is really hurting the enjoyment of the game for the many in my opinion.

No one likes to feel jipped and I'm the same. I just don't like doing quests, heroics, or whatever, and not getting valor cuz i'm capped. Then I'm getting robbed for time i'm spending playing the game anyway, the very reason blizzard argues for the cap. If I'm gonna play regardless, give me what I earned. If the cap were to go to 4000, not that i'll ever reach it like you said, at least I'm not going to lose out on valor because of some lame weekly cap.

Hoplatee

Yeah. The point about 'needing to do much more when the cap is higher' is so silly. You don't have to do that but if you want then you could do that which is the way it should be. Now I don't know if not capping it would be perfect but 1000... Nope! You do many things in a week and I feel like pretty much half of it is 'wasted' in one way or another.

Or just half your valor gains after 1k. Then it is even less than you would gain normally before hitting the cap but at least it is something.

Robin64

No flying on the new zone is fine. Taking off from the quest giver, flying in a straight line, then landing to kill a mob does not a good quest make. Pandaria was superb without flying.

1336547916425.jpg

This. Flying everywhere not only destroyed PvP, it hurts PvE too. The sense of community is gone. Staging for raids, doing elite mobs in zones, etc. With queuing for dungeons and entering them from cities, has not helped either.

Don't hurt me but making dailies helped a bit. Definitely a band-aid but I have PvP'd a bit more, until they fly away at least.

Fury needs great gear, so while leveling this means either heirlooms (which you don't have) or dungeon blues. Maybe you should try out arms for leveling, as it is not as gear dependent and is generally considered as the superior PVP spec.

Well I know fury at 90, while compared with other classes, ranks near the bottom. It seems no gear can 'help' the deficiency that the class has at the moment. Noxxic has a great comparison tool.

McNei1y

This. Flying everywhere not only destroyed PvP, it hurts PvE too. The sense of community is gone. Staging for raids, doing elite mobs in zones, etc. With queuing for dungeons and entering them from cities, has not helped either.

Don't hurt me but making dailies helped a bit. Definitely a band-aid but I have PvP'd a bit more, until they fly away at least.

This is spot on. Sure, manually finding groups to do dungeons wasted much more time than Dailies ever did... but man the things that could stem from that was excellent. There would always be groups outside of the instances summoning from the stone or something... And well, pvp skirmishes would start. I miss that kind of stuff. Having random fights in zones like Descolace/Maraudon or Dire Maul or Stratholme... it was just too good.

I did like the idea of pvp battles in zones like the towers in Hillsbrad Foothills or the towers in Karasang Wilds... but now that there's flying mounts, you rarely see anyone. When you were on the ground, you were bound to run by someone and attract their attention.

Enosh

No flying on the new zone is fine. Taking off from the quest giver, flying in a straight line, then landing to kill a mob does not a good quest make. Pandaria was superb without flying.
I don't see ow the quest gets improved by having to kill 5 more mobs...

Yeah. The point about 'needing to do much more when the cap is higher' is so silly. You don't have to do that but if you want then you could do that which is the way it should be. Now I don't know if not capping it would be perfect but 1000... Nope! You do many things in a week and I feel like pretty much half of it is 'wasted' in one way or another.

Or just half your valor gains after 1k. Then it is even less than you would gain normally before hitting the cap but at least it is something.

To me the focus has shifted too far towards accumulating 'points' of every kind. Used to be you did 5-mans for crafting materials (orbs, blood of the mountain, etc), access to unique resources (alchemy labs), quest progression (URBS/Onyxia access, Argent Dawn Commissions) and class quests.

Now that everything is points, how much 'fun' players are having seem to orbit around the constraints built into those points. Feels stupid. I'm glad they're dropping valor costs on old gear but the endless quest for points without ancillary accomplishment is making the entire grind more hollow than it's ever been. I don't really care what the cap is or how people get there or what to do once the cap has reached. I want proper goals, different goals, more interesting goals.

Hoplatee

To me the focus has shifted too far towards accumulating 'points' of every kind. Used to be you did 5-mans for crafting materials (orbs, blood of the mountain, etc), access to unique resources (alchemy labs), quest progression (URBS/Onyxia access, Argent Dawn Commissions) and class quests.

Now that everything is points, how much 'fun' players are having seem to orbit around the constraints built into those points. Feels stupid. I'm glad they're dropping valor costs on old gear but the endless quest for points without ancillary accomplishment is making the entire grind more hollow than it's ever been. I don't really care what the cap is or how people get there or what to do once the cap has reached. I want proper goals, different goals, more interesting goals.

Oh yeah, I completely agree. Vanilla was pretty good with this and so was TBC. This is also why I hope they will add the upgradable weapons in from BS linked a few posts up.

Good old Pristine Hide of the Beast / Scholomance Shadow drama :p

Dawg

I remember having to take the zeppelin from Orgrimmar to Tirisfal Glades and then running south to Silverpine forest (it was quite the walk without a mount) just to summon party members to SFK.

Exploration was a really big part of old WoW. I really miss it at times, especially since these days all we do is fly on our flying mount from daily quest X to daily quest Y, while queuing for LFR or a random heroic.

Walking instead of flying in a zone makes you notice the smaller details and the great music WoW has. (the soundtrack has always been fantastic imho). Also, I'm pretty sure I can describe every 'vanilla' Azeroth zone in detail without looking it up. I just spent so much time in that world. Exploring, meeting random people, fighting random pvp battles, questing with a total stranger who eventually becomes a good friend... Man, I miss those times.

Sadly, my friend list has been getting emptier lately. Friends who still play since Vanilla are pretty much gone. And meeting new people in current WoW (who eventually become good friends) just seems harder... with the current community. The ability to just press a button and appear in a random raid/heroic dungeon with random people from random servers who hardly say a word, really crushed the social aspect of forming your own raid with people from your own server.

Berordn

So if they're dropping valor costs instead of converting to justice, are they not doing the usual Valor -> Justice conversion for currency?

Pretty hot :eek: Did Druids really need this? Are they behind much?

They kinda did. Once geared they're as competitive as any other healer, but the reliance on HoTs and those being mana intensive can be a drag on new healers.

Been playing this game since beta and it's been so boring lately. I've rarely logged in for about 3 weeks. I really don't want to quit so right now I'm making a lvl 70 pvp twink to try and get some fun out of it. I wish all my friends didn't quit =\

crpav

I can see good points for both sides but with as large as the world is now I think flying is kind of needed...almost. I don't have time to slowly land 'walk" to every destination. For exploring I like it but once I have uncovered the map I prefer flying. This isn't the same game it was when it started so get used to it.

Well one thing that would make navigation without flying bearable would be the ability to let you dismount anywhere along the path of flight points. The tech to do that though is probably more effort than it would be worth at this point.

Tarazet

They kinda did. Once geared they're as competitive as any other healer, but the reliance on HoTs and those being mana intensive can be a drag on new healers.

What I'm seeing a lot in LFR's is that Paladins and Disc Priests destroy the meters because their absorbs take priority. If they're not in the equation, or if there's enough raid-wide damage to break the Spirit Shell/Illuminated Healing/Sacred Shield, the other healing classes can perform as well or even outperform, but they seem to be quite popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom