• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoplatee

Yeah this bit me in the ass too, I had a ton of arcane crystals in my bank, and sold them a couple months back. Also grats! Onyxia > Alar

Yeah. Still had some but now I still need 12 more. Shouldn't be that bad. Blood of the Mountain however...

ampere

I might have to try that at some point. It's pathetic, really...

I get into a heroic, and if I get buffed, I hit almost 800k hp. It's ridiculous... At that point, a Death Strike without me getting damage heals me for 56k and gives me like a 70/80k damage shield. On many bosses, I've had healers go dps because it's just not worth it - I'd have to try, but I'm sure I can solo most of the heroic instances now. It's truly pathetic...

Heroics are supposed to be easy, and you outgear them, what do you expect? There's also a 15% hp/damage/healing buff in random heroics which is probably outdated since they added it in Cataclysm when heroic 5 mans were 'hard'

Do Challenge modes and try to get a ranked time if you want a challenge

Haha wow, aware of the double post but this day is just... Crazy.

http://i.imgur.com/JrEZG.png[img][/QUOTE]

damn son go kill alysrazor and heroic lk 25 :p

Finaika

JrEZG.png

How long did it take for you to farm this?

Hoplatee

How long did it take for you to farm this?

2 weeks. 2 chars so 4 runs. Insanely boring as Warrior, by the way.

Last week I got :

A'lar
Glive Off hand (Second week in a row)
Thor'idal
Azure drake (Malygos mount)

Prety good week overall :p

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Bow. I actually saw that drop last week as well but I was on my other char so couldn't/wouldn't roll on it. If only I went on my Warrior.. :(

damn son go kill alysrazor and heroic lk 25 :p

Heh. I have never done Firelands (skipped pretty much all of Cataclysm) so if that stuff is easy to solo I could give it a shot I guess!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Al'ar looks too much like a marshmallow peep.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=25596/peeps-whistle

I will admit that the Al'ar mount is totally over the top - Blizz obviously way overdid it to give that kid the most flashy mount ever - it's got the pink trails from its tail, the pink the trails from its wings, it crackles with lightning and and it shoots fire out of the back when it moves, not to mention its bright neon orange and pink.

Onyxia just looks like a regular drake, of which there are a million. I still run it three times a week, of course.

The Al'ar mount is still cooler if only because nothing else really looks like it because Blizzard intentionally doesn't make mounts this blingy; just look at the Dark Phoenix mount - it's got practically the same shape and form, but nothing about it is really flashy at all. It doesn't shoot out the same degree of rainbows at all.

Hoplatee

Was Al'ar the only mount they made that had 310% speed before everyone else was able to buy it with riding skill later on? I believe it was but my memory might be kind of shitty.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The best Blizzard troll ever would be putting the Black Qiraji Battle Tank on the BLAH.

I don't actually know why they don't put the original ZG mounts on there.

Hoplatee

The best Blizzard troll ever would be putting the Black Qiraji Battle Tank on the BLAH.

Haha, yeah. If you want a rare mount then that would be it. I even know someone who moved servers just to get that.

I never really liked the ZG mounts. The raptor is okay but the tiger is just a bit dull to me. this is probably because I am alliance and don't have any raptors and tigers are everywhere. I have the tiger but wanted the raptor :(

Angry Grimace

Haha, yeah. If you want a rare mount then that would be it. I even know someone who moved servers just to get that.

I never really liked the ZG mounts. The raptor is okay but the tiger is just a bit dull to me. this is probably because I am alliance and don't have any raptors and tigers are everywhere. I have the tiger but wanted the raptor :(

They don't have tiger colored tigers. Well - the Shado-Pan do, but the shado-pan mounts look like shit.

Tarazet

Yeah, but so does Frost's. I suppose I haven't really specced Unholy seriously in a while. Maybe I'll spec it and give it a shot in MSV LFR (lol).

Also, I have an admission. I accidentally queued for MSV Pt. 2 as a tank and didn't even notice it until mid fight with the Spirit Kings. I immediately left midfight because I was way too embarrassed to have 24 other dudes yelling at me for being Windwalker the whole fight. =(

Unholy is actually very strong with mediocre gear levels. I don't know how well it scales up. Soul Reaper is critically important to the spec because Mastery boosts all Shadow damage done, so having it available at 40% instead of 35% will still be a large DPS increase. There's pretty much no situation where you aren't using it on cooldown if it will tick, or even if the target will die before it ticks.

Angry Grimace

Unholy is actually very strong with mediocre gear levels. I don't know how well it scales up. Soul Reaper is critically important to the spec because Mastery boosts all Shadow damage done, so having it available at 40% instead of 35% will still be a large DPS increase. There's pretty much no situation where you aren't using it on cooldown if it will tick, or even if the target will die before it ticks.

That's not different from Frost though. It just does more damage due to Mastery scaling. Whether its enough to compensate for being inherently behind Frost's DPS AND the Killing Machine compensation, I don't know. It doesn't seem like a very interesting set bonus for Unholy in any case even if its a DPS increase.

Totalriot

Well I know fury at 90, while compared with other classes, ranks near the bottom. It seems no gear can 'help' the deficiency that the class has at the moment. Noxxic has a great comparison tool.

That's right. At 90 compared to other classes/specs Fury has some DPS issues but it is still miles ahead of Arms. Noxxic has Fury right in the middle and when you look at WoL you will rarely find a Warrior in the top 10 (and then mostly Prot, lol).

For myself I sit around 4-10 when running LFR (I don't raid), which is OK, considering my gear.

But for leveling, I would always recommend Arms.

JrEZG.png

Wow! I wish I had just a small slice of your luck ;-) Congrats!

Raskett

I am stuck with a 450 and 458 trinket at the moment which appears to be holding my iLevel down. I have a few 489's and LFR pieces although I feel it makes sense to wait until I am revered (exalted?) with Dominance Offensive to grab two 489 trinkets from there. I also pretty much cannot be bothered to farm the 2 hc's that drop the 469? trinkets that would boost my iLevel.

Due to this I am stuck at 467 and have been for about a month now, getting slightly fed up with MSV LFR.

Oh well, I am really enjoying farming for old mounts and don't mind MOP dailies as it tends to bring in the gold so those are keeping me engaged in the mean time.

Ps gratz on those awesome drops, unbelievable luck :)

McNei1y

So our guild killed Heroic Will last night... Pretty awesome. Took us about 4 hours lol (3 the first night, 1 the second night). It was funny because we managed to get Will down to .3% (500k health) before wiping... then the next attempt we killed it faster/cleaner. I managed to get the heroic cloth helm from Heroic Will through charms... I am getting so lucky with those. I think we have Heroic MoV on "farm".

After Will, we attempted Heroic Blade Lord... That fight is so simple but the RNG is just the biggest slap in your face. Every attempt on Blade Lord has gotten us to about 30% but then one or two people die from the Unseen Strike crap because the mechanic is so dumb. Our best attempt was a 3% wipe where we hit the enrage timer.

Totalriot

I am stuck with a 450 and 458 trinket at the moment which appears to be holding my iLevel down. I have a few 489's and LFR pieces although I feel it makes sense to wait until I am revered (exalted?) with Dominance Offensive to grab two 489 trinkets from there. I also pretty much cannot be bothered to farm the 2 hc's that drop the 469? trinkets that would boost my iLevel.

If you are just loking for trinkets to upgrade your item level, there are lots of options for you:

- Dominance Offensive sells 496 trinkets at revered
- Shadow-Pan sells 489 trinkets at revered
- you can buy your 476 Darkmoon card for about 20K gold depending on your server.
- you can dig up a 463 BOA trinket via archeology in Pandaria

McNei1y

If you are just loking for trinkets to upgrade your item level, there are lots of options for you:

- you can buy your 476 Darkmoon card for about 20K gold depending on your server.

I was so lucky here. Some guy put the Int/int DM trinket on the AH for about 14k. I pst'd him and told him I only had 11k. The guy sold it to me for 10k. So awesome.

Raskett

Nice one Totalriot, I appreciate the info!

-I am working towards Shadow-Pan and Dominance Offensive Rep for that very reason
-Darkmoon trinket... It would hurt spending that much! I have been saving for the Vial of the Sands mount and tbh would rather have that than a fast way into Terrace.
-I had no idea about the 463 arch trinket, cheers! will be looking into this tonight :)

Knch

The DO rares also drop 3 lvl 483 trinkets, which are totally useless for PvE, but will boost your iLvl non the less... (and they drop fairly often... far more often than the rare Brawl'gar invite...)

Totalriot

Nice one Totalriot, I appreciate the info!

-I am working towards Shadow-Pan and Dominance Offensive Rep for that very reason
-Darkmoon trinket... It would hurt spending that much! I have been saving for the Vial of the Sands mount and tbh would rather have that than a fast way into Terrace.
-I had no idea about the 463 arch trinket, cheers! will be looking into this tonight :)

You're welcome, glad I could help!

This is the archeolgy trinket: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=113992
It is rather crappy but it only has to sit in your pockets, so it's OK. On the plus side, you can equip it at 85 for a nice mastery bonus.

Also, I don't know how much you're into PVP but you only need to win 10 Arena matches with a buddy to buy a 483 trinket for 1750 Conquest points. The one use ones are a great addition to your burst makro :)

Edit: What Knch said. I totally forgot these!

I was so lucky here. Some guy put the Int/int DM trinket on the AH for about 14k. I pst'd him and told him I only had 11k. The guy sold it to me for 10k. So awesome.

That's really lucky! Nice.

TimeKillr

Heroics are supposed to be easy, and you outgear them, what do you expect? There's also a 15% hp/damage/healing buff in random heroics which is probably outdated since they added it in Cataclysm when heroic 5 mans were 'hard'

Do Challenge modes and try to get a ranked time if you want a challenge

The problem is I outgear them this early in the expansion.

And even without the 15% buff, it's still piss easy.

Also, Challenge modes are a problem because I don't have a group for them. There are other people in my guild who would be good at them but they have zero interest in doing them. Absolutely none. I'm kinda SOL on that.

So our guild killed Heroic Will last night... Pretty awesome. Took us about 4 hours lol (3 the first night, 1 the second night). It was funny because we managed to get Will down to .3% (500k health) before wiping... then the next attempt we killed it faster/cleaner. I managed to get the heroic cloth helm from Heroic Will through charms... I am getting so lucky with those. I think we have Heroic MoV on "farm".

After Will, we attempted Heroic Blade Lord... That fight is so simple but the RNG is just the biggest slap in your face. Every attempt on Blade Lord has gotten us to about 30% but then one or two people die from the Unseen Strike crap because the mechanic is so dumb. Our best attempt was a 3% wipe where we hit the enrage timer.

My guild is stuck on normal Blade Lord. When we manage to survive into phase 2, we rush to get to the boss, and then we lost half of our DPS, and apparently not to tornadoes, but I can't see, really - I always get to him. I hate, HATE that fight. Unseen Strike is the shittiest mechanic in this tier, simply because it feels so stupidly random - the cleave never faces the same direction, no matter what we do to control it, we never can, and it's just a bitch. Then we get a few attempts that work, we push into phase 2, and then all of our DPS dies. This is one of those places where if having 2 paladins to heal is problematic... Having a druid in there would do wonders since they could heal while they're running, I guess.

I really hate that fight. We've cleared MSV, and while I was saying we could try a few fights in it(like Feng, for example) they flat out refuse to even give it a shot. My feeling is if we could down a few heroic bosses in MSV, it would help us survive a lot of the shit in HoF, but that's me.

Ultratech

See, this is why I'm so frustrated about it. Why wouldn't they just let you keep upgrading the weapon? You could still have weapons dropping to use WHILE you upgrade your weapon, since that's going to take some time. A meta gem is just so fucking boring.

Looking through some stuff, it seems like the original plan for the 1st part of the Legendary questline was to give you some item that upgraded the Sha-Touched weapons to a higher ilvl. Then it got scrapped and replaced with the +500 Stat Gem.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=87212

So maybe it's coming in 5.3/5.4 or later?

Today was a nice day.

So Jelly.

ampere

Didn't they recently put the Black/Plagued Proto Drakes (Naxx meta drakes) in the game files for the BMAH?

I bet that we'll see the old ZG mounts up there eventually.

McNei1y

My guild is stuck on normal Blade Lord. When we manage to survive into phase 2, we rush to get to the boss, and then we lost half of our DPS, and apparently not to tornadoes, but I can't see, really - I always get to him. I hate, HATE that fight. Unseen Strike is the shittiest mechanic in this tier, simply because it feels so stupidly random - the cleave never faces the same direction, no matter what we do to control it, we never can, and it's just a bitch. Then we get a few attempts that work, we push into phase 2, and then all of our DPS dies. This is one of those places where if having 2 paladins to heal is problematic... Having a druid in there would do wonders since they could heal while they're running, I guess.

I really hate that fight. We've cleared MSV, and while I was saying we could try a few fights in it(like Feng, for example) they flat out refuse to even give it a shot. My feeling is if we could down a few heroic bosses in MSV, it would help us survive a lot of the shit in HoF, but that's me.

Yep. The Heroic version is the exact same but with an added mechanic as well as more tornadoes before phase 2. The added mechanic sucks everyone to the boss and requires everyone to run away from him as he pulls you back in. If you get too close (inside his vortex) then you'll die in about 2 seconds. He just does a massive whirlwind. That mechanic isn't too bad because its straight forward. The cleave/unseen strike is just so STUPID. I still have no idea how to do it. The direction of the cleave is random, the damage is random, and even if everyone is stacked, 1-5 people can die.

Phase 2 isn't too bad since you can cheat the switch (when the wind turns). You just gotta make sure healers spot everyone on the run and that people don't run into tornadoes. I'm still blown that we wiped at 3% because of the enrage timer (1 healer and 1 dps died at like 30%). Druids would be clutch because of symbiosis too.

Angry Grimace

Didn't they recently put the Black/Plagued Proto Drakes (Naxx meta drakes) in the game files for the BMAH?

There's no legitimate argument against it really. To be honest, there was never a reason to put mounts other than the original mounts in the new ZG.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

I bet they put just about every rare item up there, and keep making rarer ones still like the Guitar Axe. And rightly so, you gotta figure: they slowly put up the rare as hell mounts and it will actually put out less mount-per-capita than it did when it was actually in the game. Probably even for the Black Battle Tanks.

Man if you were Fury dual-wielding the blood elf guitar axe and the forsaken guitar axe. That'd literally be the coolest thing in the world.

Exploration was a really big part of old WoW. I really miss it at times, especially since these days all we do is fly on our flying mount from daily quest X to daily quest Y, while queuing for LFR or a random heroic.

Very true. If you want to see a modern RPG that addresses this feeling, try Dragon's Dogma. The world is actually fairly small but you can't teleport or quick travel (for the most part) anywhere, so you really get a feel for the space and moving around in it. It's an interesting experience.

Dawg

Very true. If you want to see a modern RPG that addresses this feeling, try Dragon's Dogma. The world is actually fairly small but you can't teleport or quick travel (for the most part) anywhere, so you really get a feel for the space and moving around in it. It's an interesting experience.

That's cool, since that game has been on my list for some time now. Reason more to buy it now :)

Sciz

Jade Forest is the best zone in the game at ground level, but as dull as anywhere else once you can fly right over it. Level design's a more important part of the experience than some people give it credit for.

TimeKillr

Yep. The Heroic version is the exact same but with an added mechanic as well as more tornadoes before phase 2. The added mechanic sucks everyone to the boss and requires everyone to run away from him as he pulls you back in. If you get too close (inside his vortex) then you'll die in about 2 seconds. He just does a massive whirlwind. That mechanic isn't too bad because its straight forward. The cleave/unseen strike is just so STUPID. I still have no idea how to do it. The direction of the cleave is random, the damage is random, and even if everyone is stacked, 1-5 people can die.

Phase 2 isn't too bad since you can cheat the switch (when the wind turns). You just gotta make sure healers spot everyone on the run and that people don't run into tornadoes. I'm still blown that we wiped at 3% because of the enrage timer (1 healer and 1 dps died at like 30%). Druids would be clutch because of symbiosis too.

Not everyone can cheat the switch, right? I tried it last night and I think I did it a bit too late as it got me halfway through... Then I got fucked because there were 2 tornadoes right next to each other and it pulled me back to the beginning...

And yeah. That stupid cleave, man... It pushes you into random directions, often times you'll land in a tornado, or for some reason the visual of the cleave hits you but it doesn't actually hit you...

And there's worse - as a tank, sometimes his stupid tank swap ability will do 500k when it hits 2 stacks, and other times it'll do 100k. It's not like I have random armor, and it doesn't feel like my DK blood shield does a lot of work there since it's always empty during that fight. It's just so strange... It's one of the worse designed fights. RNG in a fight is *always* bad. If it's random but controllable, like it forces you to react to changing events, it's fine: ie. Garajal and the players picked as dolls - a good raid leader will react accordingly and it'll go fine. The dogs are the same; the first one to petrify is always different, yet you can react to it .

Blade Lord? Cleave! It didn't hit everyone even though they were perfectly stacked? Well screw you.

Ultratech

If you want exploration, don't use your flying mount.

Well, there's still some neat stuff you can find by flying.

Like I explored some of the shipwreck stuff south of the Jade Forest and found like 50 Gold in a lockbox sitting inside a wrecked ship underwater.

Oh, and don't go exploring the waters to the West/Northwest of Townlong Steppes....scary stuff down there. :|

342405.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I almost feel like playing this game again this weekend and i only stopped a month ago.

Damn WoW addiction i tell ya.

Except this time, i'll make a new character. Fuck dailies, heroics and LFR. Probably Horde for a change. Still haven't seen most of the new Kalimdor on their side since it was remade in Cataclysm.

Dawg

Except this time, i'll make a new character.

I've got like twenty alts <lvl 25 because I said the same thing you say so many times. I always lose interest :p

Fuck dailies, heroics and LFR. Probably Horde for a change. Still haven't seen most of the new Kalimdor on their side since it was remade in Cataclysm.

I've seen half of new Azeroth, but it always makes me sad somehow. The new quests etc are fun (and less grindy than old Azeroth), but there are certain quest chains and "old zones" I do miss. I don't hate new azeroth though.

If you want exploration, don't use your flying mount.

It's not like the presence of flying mounts has no effect on the design of the game. Their use is unavoidable for many, many things at 90 (can you even do Halfhill and Shado-Pan dailies without one?), and of course it informs other things like the team's expectations for tuning secondary professions (e.g. archaeology travel time, etc.).

310% speed ground mounts might be a fun middle ground.

Robin64

Hmm.

Bashiok said:
Aside from that, we call the Elder Charm 28.50 bag the fail bag because it fails as a consolation prize in generating excitement, or even feeling like a consolation. If you don't win a piece of gear, fine it happens, but at the very least spending a charm should give you something to look forward to. Getting a bag, anticipating what might be inside, and having the possibility of being excited about what it contains is the goal. That change will be in 5.2.

McNei1y

Not everyone can cheat the switch, right? I tried it last night and I think I did it a bit too late as it got me halfway through... Then I got fucked because there were 2 tornadoes right next to each other and it pulled me back to the beginning...

And yeah. That stupid cleave, man... It pushes you into random directions, often times you'll land in a tornado, or for some reason the visual of the cleave hits you but it doesn't actually hit you...

And there's worse - as a tank, sometimes his stupid tank swap ability will do 500k when it hits 2 stacks, and other times it'll do 100k. It's not like I have random armor, and it doesn't feel like my DK blood shield does a lot of work there since it's always empty during that fight. It's just so strange... It's one of the worse designed fights. RNG in a fight is *always* bad. If it's random but controllable, like it forces you to react to changing events, it's fine: ie. Garajal and the players picked as dolls - a good raid leader will react accordingly and it'll go fine. The dogs are the same; the first one to petrify is always different, yet you can react to it .

Blade Lord? Cleave! It didn't hit everyone even though they were perfectly stacked? Well screw you.

Everyone can cheat the switch. You just have to jump at like 11-12%. It might not get you all the way but its better than nothing.

RNG is horrible for fights and that definitely is the worst one. If people do everything right, it should be kill. You shouldn't have to rely on lucky numbers.

Enosh

Should just make it the same as the Tank/Healer bag. And throw in the new non-combat pets that drop off the new raid bosses.
I don't think getting 40 more gold and a flask or gem 95% of the time will make people that much more happy

people want purples, but you can't give them purples off every boss every time
really don't know how to fix this

Enosh

I'm not sure how exactly that is supposed to fire :p

also faction changed my warrior to alliance, was a really bad idea to roll horde, thought I would get a whole new leveling experience, but after about level 40 it was just more of the same (well apart from some BC stuff, one zone in wrath, the last zone in cata and one zone in panda land) -.- bah, 25€ down the drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom