• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

So finally finished a Test of Valor, and managed to get the BGs done before ripping my hair out. (Kotmogu is actually kind of fun, but Silvershard can just go die quietly in the corner.)

Got a group of five to try the boss and ohwaitthat's119millionnotthousand. Probably going to have to con the raid into helping with that...

Rokam

So finally finished a Test of Valor, and managed to get the BGs done before ripping my hair out. (Kotmogu is actually kind of fun, but Silvershard can just go die quietly in the corner.)

Got a group of five to try the boss and ohwaitthat's119millionnotthousand. Probably going to have to con the raid into helping with that...

It's easy to 5 man, but if you're only going to use 5 you need an actual tank with gear. I tanked it for some people on my DK with no tank gear and he hurt like hell, but we had a ton of dps and the healer was spam healing me. Just find a good healer and tank and you'll be set. Be sure to interrupt his ability that calls for help and you're golden.

Started leveling my monk, started around 9:30 at level 10, just dinged 30. Pretty sure I could have done it faster. Was going to take it slow but since it requires very little effort screw it will aim for 90 by next weekend :p.

Well, my laptop's finally packed in. The HD's corrupted and though that's not a huge issue by itself, I'm pretty sure the graphics card was on its way out too.

I haven't played since the end of November (was getting sick of dailies and levelling alts) so I'm not hugely torn up about it, but it still sucks that I don't have the option to start playing again.

FYC

Banned
Interesting, perhaps your laptop was sacrificed for mine, as I just started using it a few days ago, in which case I am sorry. Your laptops sacrifice shall not be in vain.

On the bright side, it runs WoW swimmingly. Hooray! Never owned a laptop before, this should be fun.

Ultratech

Old gods? Old gods.

Probably this dude: Durumu

Not an Old God though. Reminds me of one of the Warlocks's Observer pets.

Could be the spawn of something-or-other. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some aspects of the old gods sneak into the new raid, especially if we're dealing with a Titan construct as the secret heroic boss They still have to explain the connection between the Titans and the Mogu and old god corruption is never far behind.

Plus, Brann's chilling nearby during this whole thing, isn't he? Where he goes, old gods follow.

That's true..

But here's the boss description:
Lei Shen commanded his sorcerers to mold an aberration that could peer into the hearts of his followers and detect betrayal. From this decree, Durumu was given life. The clever entity stubbornly obeyed its masters until the Thunder King's death, at which time it disappeared into the citadel's labyrinthine corridors. Only recently has Durumu, all but forgotten by the mogu, emerged from hiding.

Berordn

It's easy to 5 man, but if you're only going to use 5 you need an actual tank with gear. I tanked it for some people on my DK with no tank gear and he hurt like hell, but we had a ton of dps and the healer was spam healing me. Just find a good healer and tank and you'll be set. Be sure to interrupt his ability that calls for help and you're golden.

Yeah, we were trying with a not-quite-a-tank and a not-quite-a-healer. Once I got everyone to notice the extraactionbutton popup it made sense but they didn't feel like trying again. Kinda kills me since I'm so close.

Probably this dude: Durumu

Not an Old God though. Reminds me of one of the Warlocks's Observer pets.

Could be the spawn of something-or-other. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some aspects of the old gods sneak into the new raid, especially if we're dealing with a Titan construct as the secret heroic boss They still have to explain the connection between the Titans and the Mogu and old god corruption is never far behind.

Plus, Brann's chilling nearby during this whole thing, isn't he? Where he goes, old gods follow.

edit:
But here's the boss description:

Yeah, probably more closely related to that, but I'd like to see them bring up where they got their fleshshaping magic to begin with... since that's also probably old gods.

Tarazet

Not sure where to go with this game anymore. My Druid doesn't need anything from the current content unless I'm going to raid, which I'm not, so do I push to upgrade my Sha-Touched weapon and my 496 pieces before the upgrade vendor disappears, or save up for the new 5.2 stuff so I can replace some of my offset blues? (I already upgraded my DM trinket 2/2 and 1/2 on the weapon). It looks like Resto is getting a huge buff, so that gives me more incentive to go that direction.

aristotle

Not sure where to go with this game anymore. My Druid doesn't need anything from the current content unless I'm going to raid, which I'm not, so do I push to upgrade my Sha-Touched weapon and my 496 pieces before the upgrade vendor disappears, or save up for the new 5.2 stuff so I can replace some of my offset blues? (I already upgraded my DM trinket 2/2 and 1/2 on the weapon). It looks like Resto is getting a huge buff, so that gives me more incentive to go that direction.

I was thinking that same thing then I realized, how undergeared will you be if you don't upgrade while you wait for RNG to drop the stuff you actually need in 5.2? I think because of that reason, I'll upgrade as soon as I can before I literally can't.

Meier

Holy fuck, Pandaria doesn't come with any game time? I guess I forgot the expansions don't apparently. That is some serious bullshit.

Coolwhip

Banned
Anyone else have their playstyle change drastically over the years? From vanilla up to the first tier in wrath I raided a lot. During tbc even 5 nights a week. I never played alts, I was completely focused on my main. Since then I don't raid anymore and I actually get bored at max level after a few weeks. And go on to level the next character. Soon I will be out of classes to level though.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
They didn't charge $40 in the past either. Used to be $30.

$60 after tax to start up again? Insane.

A brand new WoW expansion has much more game time and stuff to explore and do in a single month than a lot of 60$ games out there, so i don't see this as something insane.

Meier

They've always been $40 unless you were getting a deal or it was really late in the expansion cycle.

I didn't mean WoW necessarily (you just said any MMO), I was referring to other game's expansions in the past. Like I said, I guess I forgot since it's a bullshit policy.

Anyway, I just added my card and my account is pending. This whole thing is very obnoxious.. should be able to play right away.

Berordn

I didn't mean WoW necessarily (you just said any MMO), I was referring to other game's expansions in the past. Like I said, I guess I forgot since it's a bullshit policy.

Anyway, I just added my card and my account is pending. This whole thing is very obnoxious.. should be able to play right away.

Well, WoW's always been $40, and I don't remember that many other MMO pricings off the top of my head.

WoW expansions tend to be pretty meaty though.

Okay guys, first person on the EU SIDE of wow to PM me gets a 60day sub. I stopped playing back in October and it's been sat in my drawer gathering dust.
I'd rather someone get some use out of it, instead of me just binning it.

Slayerx

Don't know if already posted but yeah.

For 5.2 you will be able to champion a faction and earn rep with them on your first heroic and scenario of the day

Also I am so late for this argument but flying mounts in general were a mistake, I feel anyway.

Hoplatee

Don't know if already posted but yeah.

Yeah this made me just stop with dailies. I only have one faction left to grind to revered so I will just use that for the last bits of rep. Saves me some time to do other things and not in a big rush to get AC to revered anyway. Only do the gather quests (like the feather / spirit ones) if they pop up for that faction but not the kill quests. Takes no time with Druid hax.

Tarazet

Yeah this made me just stop with dailies. I only have one faction left to grind to revered so I will just use that for the last bits of rep. Saves me some time to do other things and not in a big rush to get AC to revered anyway. Only do the gather quests (like the feather / spirit ones) if they pop up for that faction but not the kill quests. Takes no time with Druid hax.

Playing my Druid in MoP first really spoiled me for playing anything else. It wasn't a huge help until 90 and flight form was available again, but god damn did it save me a lot of time doing dailies.

Hoplatee

Playing my Druid in MoP first really spoiled me for playing anything else. It wasn't a huge help until 90 and flight form was available again, but god damn did it save me a lot of time doing dailies.

Yeah, it almost feels like cheating during some of the Shado-Pan dailies. Done in a few minutes :p

Aug Cel is just completely crazy with Druid on 1 set of quests. Heal mobs, fly over food and weapons and just smack 12 mobs. 3 minutes tops.

Tamanon

Banned
Did my first few heroics last night for this expansion. It's amazing how different the experience is with a good healer. First healer my guildie(the tank) and I had was garbage. The tank was a monk with 570k HP, but for some reason the healer was paying more attention to guild chat and I ended up having to offheal many of the fights on my Retadin. Only finished the Bladelord fight due to a Lay on Hands I had to burn.

Then the guy dropped and another healer, a druid jumped in and it was smooth as silk.

Hoplatee

Did my first few heroics last night for this expansion. It's amazing how different the experience is with a good healer. First healer my guildie(the tank) and I had was garbage. The tank was a monk with 570k HP, but for some reason the healer was paying more attention to guild chat and I ended up having to offheal many of the fights on my Retadin. Only finished the Bladelord fight due to a Lay on Hands I had to burn.

Then the guy dropped and another healer, a druid jumped in and it was smooth as silk.

From my experience Druid healers are probably 'the best' you can get for Heroic 5 mans. I feel so much safer when I get healed by Druids when tanking. Probably has to do with the fact that I also have a Resto Druid so I know what I can or should not do but that is just my experience.

In general I really dislike healing Monk tanks because the amount of people that are not playing them well even at 90 is quite shocking. When you get one that knows what to do it is pretty much the same. Healing a Paladin tank healing feels the most safe to me but also the slowest because for some reason I have not seen a Paladin tank do any decent tank damage so far.

Sorry! :<

I will never forgive you for this!

hug!

Sethos

Banned
Almost feel bad for asking this but here goes. A friend of mine is asking me all sorts of questions regarding WoW that I can't answer because I haven't played in months now - I've stopped playing. He's a bit of a tool when it comes to games and just want to enjoy his way up in dungeons etc. so I told him to be a DPS, because he'd just get kicked constantly as a healer or tank.

However he now found out about the glorious damage meters and have started looking into it, class DPS and their rotations. He's now concerned about not being competitive DPS ( i.e being rock bottom and becoming the joke of the group ).

Any class(es) I can point him to that will be 'easy DPS' as in he will remain competitive without some razorsharp rotation and the best epics or has it all been homogenized?

Hoplatee

Almost feel bad for asking this but here goes. A friend of mine is asking me all sorts of questions regarding WoW that I can't answer because I haven't played in months now - I've stopped playing. He's a bit of a tool when it comes to games and just want to enjoy his way up in dungeons etc. so I told him to be a DPS, because he'd just get kicked constantly as a healer or tank.

However he now found out about the glorious damage meters and have started looking into it, class DPS and their rotations. He's now concerned about not being competitive DPS ( i.e being rock bottom and becoming the joke of the group ).

Any class(es) I can point him to that will be 'easy DPS' as in he will remain competitive without some razorsharp rotation and the best epics or has it all been homogenized?

Pretty much the same but obviously some classes will require more 'work' to be great. I believe Rogues are pretty easy to play, so are Ret Paladins. Warriors are also pretty simple but they are pretty shit when you don't have the gear though that goes for all the classes. If you get some gear then you will be pretty fast on top of the meters in Heroics even if you aren't that great.

This might sound stupid but I am a believer that DPS is harder than healing nowadays so maybe tell him to give him a shot at that even if you advised him against doing that. If he is just leveling and would 'want to top the dps meter' then you have no other option than to roll a tank. Weird but true. Even my heirloom geared chars have issues beating tanks. Also true for some pugs at later levels.. sadly.

ampere

Oh hi whats goin on in this thread

oh no it's that orc!

thanks again for those challenge mode guides, got all gold on my brewmaster :D

Combat rogue, just leave blade flurry on except for bosses = lots of damage in low level dungeons. A lot of specs don't get proper cleave/aoe for a while but combat gets it really early

TheYanger

The only way you fail as any dps class is not putting in effort. There are no braindead easy ones anymore despite what you'll be told. There aren't any insanely difficult ones either though.

I will chime in and say that ranged DPS is typically a little more brain dead though. Lots more small bits if downtime with bread and butter casts taking a couple seconds, and typically less complex movement (though that can vary wildly fight by fight.)

Rokam

Frost DK, Elemental Shaman, and Shadow Priest all have extremely easy rotations with very few buttons, Priest requires switching talents quite often depending on fight but that's about it. Frost DK is high dps and a faceroll playstyle. Ele Shaman is the highest burst dps in game and any short fight should be #1 on meters, once you get into a raid setting typically fall back to middle of the pack with a lot of utility.

And yes these are the only characters I have at 90, what can I say I love simple rotations and less buttons. Looked at hunter and their talents add like 3 or so more buttons to their rotation. Bleh.

Hoplatee

I will chime in and say that ranged DPS is typically a little more brain dead though. Lots more small bits if downtime with bread and butter casts taking a couple seconds, and typically less complex movement (though that can vary wildly fight by fight.)

That is also true. I still have nightmares of 360 cleave mobs in TBC as melee.

Got patched out pretty quickly if I remember right. :p

Berordn

The bowling spells animation always looked dumb to me. He used to be a Blood Elf though, so he's run through the gamut of ugly animations.

Sciz

In general I really dislike healing Monk tanks because the amount of people that are not playing them well even at 90 is quite shocking. When you get one that knows what to do it is pretty much the same. Healing a Paladin tank healing feels the most safe to me but also the slowest because for some reason I have not seen a Paladin tank do any decent tank damage so far.

Having raided as a brewmaster for most of the expansion thus far, they're pretty awesome. Fast-paced rotation, flexible gearing, good toolkit, and strong damage to boot. Can't go back to any other tank.

He used to be a Blood Elf though, so he's run through the gamut of ugly animations.

You've got an addiction.

Personally I like my Orc Mage (male) for casting. Also have a Troll mage at 70 something, but I rerolled as Orc when I switched servers.

Can't even think of what the Alliance animations are off the top of my head as I've only dabbled with them, though I'm also drawing a blank on less common Horde combinations (or maybe even just everything I haven't sat behind myself for hours on end.)

FYC

Banned
Hmm, I thought the rested cap was 1.5 levels, but I seem to have two full levels of rested on my DK. Odd.

Oh, and Orcs are da bess.

Slayerx

Heh, got an epic in a scenario. Best new content to be honest, instant queues, somewhat good rewards finally and the newer ones are fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom