• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

I was thinking more along the lines of an actual Mantid, like for the dailies how you ride on their back (or if you're a gnome/goblin in their arms). The Kruchong though would make a good pet, so long as it never made the annoying as sounds that the one in Dread Wastes makes when it follows you around.

what

don't listen to him kovok

we'll always love you just the way you are

It will probably be a feature that allows you to enter party leaders phases and level down to play with lowbie friends or something.

This is exactly what I'm banking on. It's the only thing I can think of that they are already working towards, and one of the few things I can think of that actually makes sense to introduce at this point in the game.

More or less expecting full-blown scaling a la Guild Wars 2, except it will likely be opt-in.

Now leveling on a PvP realm will suck even more, ha. See that toon over there that is at the right level for this zone? JUST KIDDING! It's actually a max-level toon here to RAPE YOUR FACE. haha

TimeKillr

Ugh. I'm stuck with shitty players on Garalon, who constantly die, go in front of Garalon and get hit by his cone attack when they just don't need to...

Fuck that boss (and bad players). There's no reason that I'm doing 65k dps as a TANK and the dps players are averaging 40k...

Ugh. I'm stuck with shitty players on Garalon, who constantly die, go in front of Garalon and get hit by his cone attack when they just don't need to...

Fuck that boss (and bad players). There's no reason that I'm doing 65k dps as a TANK and the dps players are averaging 40k...

Is this in LFR?

There's no excuse for those kind of numbers anyway, but I'm curious. We're struggling with him, but we got him to 16% last week, so we're almost there!

TimeKillr

Is this in LFR?

There's no excuse for those kind of numbers anyway, but I'm curious. We're struggling with him, but we got him to 16% last week, so we're almost there!

No no no, in normal.

See, the last parse:
Mage at 90k
Spriest at 60k
me at 60k (blood dk)
monk at 53k
ele shaman at 50k
mage at 41k
other tank (prot warrior) at 25k

It's kind of ridiculous. We're 3-healing it so we learn it, and we got to like 50% with 2 minutes left before we wiped...

Trickster

What class are you? 65k dps as tank on normal garalon sounds pretty sick. I did 65k dps as prot warrior on heroic garalon and got ranked number 100 or something.

But yes, 40k dps is laughable, kick those people, seriously.

Vengeance is much stronger in MoP. Under weird ass circumstances a tank can be top of the meters.

That being said 40K is just fucking poor.

We can on a few fights like will of the emperor and wind lord mel'jarak. But we should be rock bottom on garalon.

Trickster

Will is so much fun to tank. Wish they made more little (important) tank gimmicks like that.

Another week with PVP loot on Sha. Sigh.

I tend to agree, though the fact that there's only one phase that lasts there entire fight does make it somewhat repetetive, especially on heroic where the fight is 10+ min

Tarazet

No no no, in normal.

See, the last parse:
Mage at 90k
Spriest at 60k
me at 60k (blood dk)
monk at 53k
ele shaman at 50k
mage at 41k
other tank (prot warrior) at 25k

It's kind of ridiculous. We're 3-healing it so we learn it, and we got to like 50% with 2 minutes left before we wiped...

How can a Mage and a Shaman fail at Garalon? I mean, unless they were the kiters. That would at least make some sense.

TimeKillr

Vengeance is much stronger in MoP. Under weird ass circumstances a tank can be top of the meters.

That being said 40K is just fucking poor.

Vengeance is much better, but there's only 2 sources of damage on Garalon - Crush and the swipe. AFAIK I shouldn't be getting that much Vengeance from that. I know I can top meters (especially in crazy AoE pulls, I've gotten like 200k dps at some point) but it makes no damn sense why the other tank was doing so little.

Especially on goddamned Garalon. There's just no excuse for it.

So it isn't just me. Good :)

What class are you? 65k dps as tank on normal garalon sounds pretty sick. I did 65k dps as prot warrior on heroic garalon and got ranked number 100 or something.

But yes, 40k dps is laughable, kick those people, seriously.

I'm a Blood DK. If you wanna see my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lothar/Thorka/advanced

I mean, I'm not god or anything, and I know Blood DKs are built for up-front damage, but theres' a god damn limit.

And it's even worse that yes, a lot of these people should be pulling MUCH MUCH more, like our Windwalker monk - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lothar/Rambopanda/advanced

We can on a few fights like will of the emperor and wind lord mel'jarak. But we should be rock bottom on garalon.

Yeah Will is a super fun fight to tank. It's by far my favorite, and I have a really good average (I usually get hit only once throughout the entire fight).

How can a Mage and a Shaman fail at Garalon? I mean, unless they were the kiters. That would at least make some sense.

The 2 mages are kiters. The first one is fire, though, so he gets "cleaves" all the time. The Shaman is kiting, but we're using 4 kiters to be safe, so...

It's quite ridiculous... I don't know what to do anymore. We're taking ages to progress on fights like this where it's very simple - I think some of our players are just lacking in skill.

McNei1y

All of my complaining paid off! We downed heroic blade lord last night. We also attempted heroic wind lord... That fight is pretty simple. We should down him next week. We should've downed him on our third or fourth try last night but one guy was dumb and messed up and we wiped with like 30%... twice. I wish we would replace him with a competent friend of mine but the bad guy's gear is levels ahead of my friend.

TheYanger

I tend to agree, though the fact that there's only one phase that lasts there entire fight does make it somewhat repetetive, especially on heroic where the fight is 10+ min

I would rather fight Heroic Will as a tank for 10 minutes than almost any other fight in the game for half that length. Best mechanic in the game for melee :p

TimeKillr

I would rather fight Heroic Will as a tank for 10 minutes than almost any other fight in the game for half that length. Best mechanic in the game for melee :p

Same here. It's so much fun and it's actually sort of challenging for a tank. You get such a killer payoff when you manage to dodge all 5 hits that it's worth it both on a mitigation standpoint and a damage dealt standpoint. I love it :)

I find it funny that when I do LFR, whenever I have another tank with me, they pretty much land no opportunistic strikes, and I land all of them... That fight specifically shows who's a good tank and who's a crappy tank.

Same here. It's so much fun and it's actually sort of challenging for a tank. You get such a killer payoff when you manage to dodge all 5 hits that it's worth it both on a mitigation standpoint and a damage dealt standpoint. I love it :)

I find it funny that when I do LFR, whenever I have another tank with me, they pretty much land no opportunistic strikes, and I land all of them... That fight specifically shows who's a good tank and who's a crappy tank.

When I do that in LFR as melee I get screamed at and called a noob or an idiot, despite getting 100% of my strikes out.

Tarazet

When I do that in LFR as melee I get screamed at and called a noob or an idiot, despite getting 100% of my strikes out.

I never have been able to do the dance, and the Opportunistic Strikes don't grant enough extra damage to be worth stopping my rotation anyway. And chasing the adds wastes a lot of time. So I just DPS the boss and use Feral self-heals to deal with the Devastating Combo strikes. The healers generally see that I'm doing more damage to the boss than anyone else and keep me up. Maybe that makes me a bad DPS, but I'm able to do every other encounter in this xpac properly. Will is just my Achilles' Heel.

TimeKillr

I never have been able to do the dance, and the Opportunistic Strikes don't grant enough extra damage to be worth stopping my rotation anyway. And chasing the adds wastes a lot of time. So I just DPS the boss and use Feral self-heals to deal with the Devastating Combo strikes. The healers generally see that I'm doing more damage to the boss than anyone else and keep me up. Maybe that makes me a bad DPS, but I'm able to do every other encounter in this xpac properly. Will is just my Achilles' Heel.

The thing is, you can continue your rotation with the dance. That's the big thing, really. I continue my tanking rotation with the dance, and it's how I can achieve pretty high dps, because it gives me free 500k damage every 15 seconds or so.

It's a pretty big damage increase.

Tarazet

The thing is, you can continue your rotation with the dance. That's the big thing, really. I continue my tanking rotation with the dance, and it's how I can achieve pretty high dps, because it gives me free 500k damage every 15 seconds or so.

It's a pretty big damage increase.

I can't even do the dance properly if I stop attacking, so it doesn't really help me. I've tried all the tips I've found. That fight has completely killed my desire to do normal Vaults because I know I won't survive it, so I haven't even tried.

DBM broadcasts the strikes, but it does both bosses at once, and doesn't say which one is doing which slash. If there's a mod that fixes that then maybe I could get somewhere.

TimeKillr

I can't even do the dance properly if I stop attacking, so it doesn't really help me. I've tried all the tips I've found. That fight has completely killed my desire to do normal Vaults because I know I won't survive it, so I haven't even tried.

DBM broadcasts the strikes, but it does both bosses at once, and doesn't say which one is doing which slash. If there's a mod that fixes that then maybe I could get somewhere.

They both do the same exact strikes at the same time.

I agree, though, that as melee dps, it's very hard to do. When you're tanking, it's stupidly easy, and now that I've tanked it enough I know what I would have to do as DPS, but it's not as simple as when I'd be tanking.

You eventually learn to pick up on the visual cues on how to avoid them, but as DPS, the problem is you're not facing them, so it becomes a lot more complicated.

One possibility would be to hug a tank who knows what he's doing. The other is what I do when I tank it - I'm in front of him. If he does left or right, I go 90 degrees to either side, close. Then if they do front, I walk through. If they do another side, it's another 90 degree move. If they do stomp, I move back. It's really not that hard, but I agree that as DPS it's a hassle because you have to rely purely on the visual cues.

Rokal

The easy way to deal with combos for Will is to zoom your camera way out and play top-down. You'll see very large, very obvious blue streaks that telegraph where strikes are going to hit.

Berordn

The easy way to deal with combos for Will is to zoom your camera way out and play top-down. You'll see very large, very obvious blue streaks that telegraph where strikes are going to hit.

Yeah, top-down and just watching for the blue arc (or lack thereof, for the stomp) is the easiest way. On normal you have plenty of time to move out of the way as long as you can see it.

BigWigs only shows you the combo for the boss you are currently attacking. Presumably DBM has a setting to ignore the boss you're not attacking during his combo.

The strike is also off the GCD so it's worth the swing every single time. As long as you help kill courages that cross your path (as they should if your tanks are in the right spots) you aren't hurting RDPs in LFR. Regular is a different beast if the rest of your DPS is bad and can't handle the adds without all 6 of you on them.

Also this. Just start moving right away. If you can't move and hit your buttons on the run then yeah you definitely shouldn't be dancing, even during titan gas.

moojito

Be aware that the stomp doesn't have a blue marker, though. Caught me out a ton of times when I was learning that fight.

Well, first off, this entire argument is wrong. Especially with no rep requirements.

I can cap Valor in a few days. This is all without really going hard (to me). I could do it in a day if I was motivated (I am not, I'm actually pretty lazy).

If there was no cap, I'd be chain running heroics or Scenarios whenever not raiding and I and others would be absolutely pulverizing the VP gained meters. We wouldn't stop until everything was maxed out.

This would then motivate people to crush rep grinds even harder than they did. I hate to even admit this, but one Sunday I grinded out 7 Keys to the Caches for Golden Lotus (zero Sky Crystals of course) and I grinded to 20 Dread Crystals a few times. That would only increase.

Add to that that you only need revered and well....
Not to bring this up again, but I'm confused. I said that it's not possible to grind out enough valor to get completely geared up in a 2-3 days even if there were no rep requirements. Then you say that you can get 1000 valor in 3 days, which isn't even enough to purchase one piece of gear.

I've been rep grinding for 2-3 weeks now, every day (obviously with a few off days here and there) and still am only friendly with Celestials, honored with Shado-Pan and Klaxxi, and revered with Golden Lotus and Shieldwall). Even disregarding that amount of time, there are 10 or more pieces of gear to get (head to feet, rings/trinkets) that cost anywhere from 1250 to 2200 valor. If it takes you 3 days to get 1000 valor, do the math on how long it would take to get all the items. And that's assuming you go balls to the walls, which most people wouldn't have the motivation or at least the time to do. The solution to the chain heroics/scenarios is to only provide valor on the first run of the day like it used to be in Wrath, but there doesn't need to be a weekly cap. I mean once you've done the weekly LFR raids, and the heroic run, is the 5 valor points per daily really going to motivate people to grind out dailies endlessly? I would love to be able to farm valor like you say, but 5 points wouldn't inspire me to grind valor through dailies in the slightest. I just don't see the removal of a valor cap causing as big of a problem as others do.

As it stands, I'm probably going to let my sub run out this month (not because of any of the issues I've been complaining about, but for personal reasons). But I don't have the time that others have to put into the game that others have. LFR has rewarded me with 5-6 pieces of gear (not bad) so far, but 3 of which were side grades to slots I already had filled by AH and Sha quest (hands, robes and feet) and then one was a second pair of LFR gloves (boo...). Meanwhile, I'm still rolling with a blue weapon, helm, shoulders, and leggings, and ring. I've never seen a hint of tier. Never won anything with the bonus rolls. I understand and am okay with others liking the valor/rep/LFR system, but I pretty much despise it. And i'll let it go at that ;)

Tarazet

Also this. Just start moving right away. If you can't move and hit your buttons on the run then yeah you definitely shouldn't be dancing, even during titan gas.

I can normally hit my buttons on the run just fine. But Will is just balls for a melee DPS. The bosses are constantly turning and re-orienting with the tank, making it a pain to even tell which way they're pointing, and even if the tank has the decency to put a marker on himself, there's no guarantee he knows what the hell he's doing.

I just had an oh-wow-i'm-stupid moment. For some reason I've been thinking that normal and heroic raids still had boss drops like in previous expansions. But they are the same as LFR?

Berordn

I just had an oh-wow-i'm-stupid moment. For some reason I've been thinking that normal and heroic raids still had boss drops like in previous expansions. But they are the same as LFR?

No, they drop loot like normal. The coins work the same as in LFR, where you'll get a chance at extra loot after killing it, but the bosses still have loot on them in normal and heroic.

Trickster

Normal and heroic work exactly like they've always done.

LFR change was to stop babies from crying over people "ninjaing"

Edit - should probaly have updated page before posting

Hoplatee

So... How terrible are Resto Druids exactly?

This has been the third weekend in a row now where I just can not get into a PUG with her. Item level is 485, Resto and no matter how hard I try I just can not get into one. In all the weeks I played again I have gotten into one pug with people around ilvl 460/465 and that was it.

My Warrior (481) has zero issues getting into pugs but I consider that one my 'alt'.

Are Resto Druids really that bad at the moment? I know they are getting a flat 10% increase in healing next patch so obviously something is up but eh... That bad? I never like blaming my class but I healed for more than 5 years so it can't be my healing skills - those are fine so what is it? Are other healing classes really THAT much better?

I even got kicked out because at the last moment a Priest whispered and that was far better or something. So I wasted 50 minutes being ready only to be kicked out the last second. Worse is that this also happened earlier this week with a Paladin. And I checked them - way lower ILVL. I just don't get it and makes me just want to give up again.

Robin64

Yeees. Yeeeeeees.

MMOC said:
bonusRep.jpg

Yeees. Yeeeeeees.

NIIIIIICE. Have been doing all the BC 5-mans on heroic the last two days while queueing, so much fun seeing all this content I hadnt' before. Some nice transmogs, too. Lots of factions I didn't get to Exalted in BC, either, so it will be nice filling in those slots

Got my arse handed to me on Vashyr solo, couldn't get the special elementals fast enough when she was immune and ended up getting chain feared. So annoying. Gonna have my wife run it with me tonight to finish the job :p.

Trickster

Yeees. Yeeeeeees.

Too bad we have to wait like 2 months before the content patch goes live

This has been the third weekend in a row now where I just can not get into a PUG with her. Item level is 485, Resto and no matter how hard I try I just can not get into one. In all the weeks I played again I have gotten into one pug with people around ilvl 460/465 and that was it.

My Warrior (481) has zero issues getting into pugs but I consider that one my 'alt'.

Are Resto Druids really that bad at the moment? I know they are getting a flat 10% increase in healing next patch so obviously something is up but eh... That bad? I never like blaming my class but I healed for more than 5 years so it can't be my healing skills - those are fine so what is it? Are other healing classes really THAT much better?

I even got kicked out because at the last moment a Priest whispered and that was far better or something. So I wasted 50 minutes being ready only to be kicked out the last second. Worse is that this also happened earlier this week with a Paladin. And I checked them - way lower ILVL. I just don't get it and makes me just want to give up again.

One of my guilds best healers is a resto druid, dude rocks the healing meters.

Kenai

Not that bad. They are lower on the meters, but not so bad off that it should be trouble, especially for Normals. Monk isn't particularly great right now either and I don't have any real problems (487 ish ilvl). Just keep trying, and hopefully you'll have my luck where just because you are competent, people will remember that and invite you again. And then there's always the inevitable upswing following the downturn.

Some servers have a more active PUG community than others though. I had a much easier time when I was on Area 52 than Ysera now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

What for?

If you use a coin it does that, but otherwise, no, they just drop items normally. It wouldn't work in a raid group because raid groups need to allocate gear in a more organized way.

No, they drop loot like normal. The coins work the same as in LFR, where you'll get a chance at extra loot after killing it, but the bosses still have loot on them in normal and heroic.

Normal and heroic work exactly like they've always done.

LFR change was to stop babies from crying over people "ninjaing"

Edit - should probaly have updated page before posting
If you use a coin it does that, but otherwise, no, they just drop items normally. It wouldn't work in a raid group because raid groups need to allocate gear in a more organized way.
Thanks all. I'm pretty much the thread clown (as in idiot, not funny) here. You guys do well to put up with me. Appreciate it =)

I must say this again, but the Golden Fleece trinket is the best thing to happen to dailies in the history of wow dailies. Nothing beats hearing that cachink cachink sound and seeing the coins fly. I've found a couple of good locations to go farm it with too. If you go to the very southwest corner of the Jade Forest zone, south of Paw'don Village (not the island with the sha haunts running around), there are packs of low-level mobs (the little task masters, peons and grunts) that you can aoe down in seconds. I've had good luck with getting the trinket to proc. They also drop dread amber shards too (klaxxi rep turn-in), which surprised me. The packs of horrorscale scorpids in dread wastes are also good. Lots of other random mobs in the vicinity that are fairly easy to aoe down depending on class.

Hoplatee

Not that bad. They are lower on the meters, but not so bad off that it should be trouble, especially for Normals. Monk isn't particularly great right now either and I don't have any real problems (487 ish ilvl). Just keep trying, and hopefully you'll have my luck where just because you are competent, people will remember that and invite you again. And then there's always the inevitable upswing following the downturn.

Some servers have a more active PUG community than others though. I had a much easier time when I was on Area 52 than Ysera now.

Yeah, hoping I will be more lucky today. It just is so frustrating. Could understand if my ILVL was complete garbage but it is more than fine for any content. Not heroics but I would not even dare to do that with pugs.

I pretty much hit the cap on my ILVL to get upgrades outside of raiding as well. Could boost it but those would be sidegrades and in some cases worse than what I already have.

Rokam

Hit 90 on my paladin, queue up for the heroic I need that has the best 2H weapon for me, it drops... restoration shaman wins it. Thanks Blizzard loot system... you're the best. The tanks also rolled need even though he had a better weapon, and it's not like I wasn't pulling my weight as I was top dps on the last boss and saved us from a wipe when the tank ate a Blades of Light on the 2nd boss. Oh how I hate people.

Hoplatee

Hit 90 on my paladin, queue up for the heroic I need that has the best 2H weapon for me, it drops... restoration shaman wins it. Thanks Blizzard loot system... you're the best. The tanks also rolled need even though he had a better weapon, and it's not like I wasn't pulling my weight as I was top dps on the last boss and saved us from a wipe when the tank ate a Blades of Light on the 2nd boss. Oh how I hate people.

Yeah, this drove me crazy as well. I promised myself to need on whatever I could possibly have a use for the next time I get to that point on another character.

I never needed anything for OS but items got stolen from me so many times. I cared about not being a dick but I sure as hell won't care next time because 99% of the other people don't care either.

Tamanon

Banned
Since I'm valor capped and dailied out for the weekend(Just got my Cloud Serpent and Tillers tomorrow), I started a lowbie warrior. Tanking is touuuuuugh with only Shield Slam and Heroic Strike until 20, and even after Thunder Clap it's annoying. Only one more level until Devastate and then it starts to get better.

Rokam

Since I'm valor capped and dailied out for the weekend(Just got my Cloud Serpent and Tillers tomorrow), I started a lowbie warrior. Tanking is touuuuuugh with only Shield Slam and Heroic Strike until 20, and even after Thunder Clap it's annoying. Only one more level until Devastate and then it starts to get better.

It gets progressively easier, eventually you'll be swimming in rage. Think most of the tanks start out really shitty.

Man today is just the worst, queue random get Siege, okay well fuck that I don't need loot. Wait 30 minutes, queue again..Siege. :(

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I get accused of not understanding encounter mechanics.
I just don't care to chase adds around for 8 minutes when I can dance the night away and have fun during the encounter while topping the meters by 5-6 million damage.

Nothing happens on LFR even if you get hit other than a relatively trivial amount of damage. I've never been yelled at and I don't even even have any non-melee.

Trickster

I get accused of not understanding encounter mechanics.
I just don't care to chase adds around for 8 minutes when I can dance the night away and have fun during the encounter while topping the meters by 5-6 million damage.

Well, it shouldn't be a problem that you're doing that, as long as the adds are under control.

If you keep doing it even though the raid is being overrun by adds, then you're a tool obviously.

CassSept

Well, it shouldn't be a problem that you're doing that, as long as the adds are under control.

If you keep doing it even though the raid is being overrun by adds, then you're a tool obviously.
It doesn't matter. I too prefer to dance and I'm doing it right, yet get yelled at by tanks that just stand there and soak up every combo. It's ridiculous, really.

Trickster

It doesn't matter. I too prefer to dance and I'm doing it right, yet get yelled at by tanks that just stand there and soak up every combo. It's ridiculous, really.

You can dance perfectly and be top dps ( which is not hard if you nuke the boss the entire fight while dancing, which is easy as hell ), it don't mean shit if the rest of the raid is shit and can't handle the adds.

So in such an event where the raid is about to wipe because there are too many adds up. If the melee dps don't go and help out on adds, just because they think it's more fun to nuke boss and be high dps, then they are idiots.

Angry Grimace

The posts that blue posters respond to on the official forums are ridiculously embarrassing to the playerbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom