• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

You can dance perfectly and be top dps ( which is not hard if you nuke the boss the entire fight while dancing, which is easy as hell ), it don't mean shit if the rest of the raid is shit and can't handle the adds.

So in such an event where the raid is about to wipe because there are too many adds up. If the melee dps don't go and help out on adds, just because they think it's more fun to nuke boss and be high dps, then they are idiots.

You misunderstood me, I wasn't referring to that part of your post. If the raid is being overrun then sure, it doesn't matter they suck, but you have to help them with dps.

However, I got yelled at even when adds were completely under control, there were never 2 waves at the same time yadda yadda. They just yelled and insulted me to go help on adds when they were under control and I was much more useful on boss.

Trickster

You misunderstood me, I wasn't referring to that part of your post. If the raid is being overrun then sure, it doesn't matter they suck, but you have to help them with dps.

However, I got yelled at even when adds were completely under control, there were never 2 waves at the same time yadda yadda. They just yelled and insulted me to go help on adds when they were under control and I was much more useful on boss.

Ah okay.

And yes, unfortunately that's the kinda things you can expect doing lfr. LFR is basically the place where all the rejects, that are too dumb and bad to find a proper raiding guild go to raid.

Hoplatee

Wow this LFR I was in. 10 minutes to kill Spirit Kings, Elegon was a complete disaster and wiped 4 times on Will. I just wanted to see how it would end but then I got kicked for no reason haha. I think I saw around 50 people in that run alone. Maybe I just tabbed out too long or something. (Anyone know how long that takes? I know it is pretty short)

Time wasted oh so much but in a weird terrible way I did enjoy the worst run ever. Just when you think it can't get any worse - the next attempt became even more shocking. And the next one. And the next one.. I was just in there to get DPS gear now since there is nothing to get for Prot anymore and I did around 40k and was topping the meters. So yeah, you can imagine how terrible it must have been. Quite the experience!

Westlo

Never had any real bad lfr runs myself.... Heck we killed Garalon once when over half the raid died before he was sub 80%

Raid chat was full of just wipe for like 10 mins....

Hoplatee

Never had any real bad lfr runs myself.... Heck we killed Garalon once when over half the raid died before he was sub 80%

Yeah, this was just one of those runs that was so bad that it kind of gets good. I enjoyed it but in a weird way.

The times for those who want to giggle. It is missing one attempt for some reason but yeah.

u0pK38f.png

In general my runs are smooth. Some low DPS sometimes, shit healing or clueless tanks but never this bad. It was everything combined to the max.

I am just annoyed I have to do the whole thing again because I tabbed out / afk'd a little bit too long. Took a while for new people to join after the 3th run. My own fault though.

E ; oh no, it is correct. I am just a idiot, was 3 attempts >_>

Ultratech

I had a pretty bad LFR run the other day where we wiped on Spirit Kings because people had no idea what they're doing.
This was on top of having a Tank who had no idea what to do (FYI, he died on Floor Boss...which is just sad at this point.).

Funny enough, I did the 2nd Half of HoF on my DK yesterday and had this uber Warlock doing like 120k damage on fights.
It was ridiculous how much damage he was putting out. (I think I was doing around 70k and about 4th/5th on Skada, but my DK isn't fully geared yet.)
Turns out the dude was geared pretty well in 496/502 gear.

Pretty fun going on my Hunter and sometimes topping Damage or getting in a cool 2nd or 3rd.

Kenai

Yeah, this drove me crazy as well. I promised myself to need on whatever I could possibly have a use for the next time I get to that point on another character.

I never needed anything for OS but items got stolen from me so many times. I cared about not being a dick but I sure as hell won't care next time because 99% of the other people don't care either.

Blizzard actually had sort of enforced this behavior, because at the start of the expansion when almost everything was locked behind some type of substantial rep gain, they mentioned Heroics and assured folks that no one would ever get punished for needing on OS gear. Heroic loot is higher than JP stuff anyway regarding ilvl, so if you need something just need on it.

To be fair though, once the current VP gear turns into JP gear, JP will finally stop being useless and the current heroics will have very little you'll want to go out of your way to get. Apparently they aren't converting current VP to JP either next big patch, so it can be hoarded for some new stuff right away (barring rep gain).

Berordn

To be fair though, once the current VP gear turns into JP gear, JP will finally stop being useless and the current heroics will have very little you'll want to go out of your way to get. Apparently they aren't converting current VP to JP either next big patch, so it can be hoarded for some new stuff right away (barring rep gain).

Because they're not converting VP to JP, the current gear is still VP gear. It's just going to be discounted.

JP remains useless.

ZenaxPure

Reallllly late to the party I realize but finally got some of my guildies together to do challenge modes and they really are a lot of fun. Not as.... hard as I was expecting I guess? From a healer perspective that is, I was expecting a lot more damage to go out but I can spend a fair bit of time as a Resto cat, sometimes for the entire duration of a boss fight. Not that I'm complaining really, I think it's a lot of fun to play that way.

Silvers all seem really easy to get though, easier than I figured they would be. Though, not even sure how gold is achievable in the ones we did without dramatically changing some of our tactics, which I guess is the point of the whole thing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ah okay.

And yes, unfortunately that's the kinda things you can expect doing lfr. LFR is basically the place where all the rejects, that are too dumb and bad to find a proper raiding guild go to raid.

I'm pretty good at WoW and I still run LFR. I don't really have time to dedicate 3 days of the week to raiding so it works out pretty well for me.

It does get tiring though since there's little sense of accomplishment doing it. The only carrot involved in LFR is gear itself, which is kind of a weird thing.

Westlo

First LFR run on my warrior alt and got Starshatter and 2 sigils while barely breaking 25k dps since my real ilevel is 451 lol :(

Finished the new Stonetalon quests (well, Cata new - Horde side) tonight. Damn that shit was depressing. I feel dirty with that "buff" now and I never want to go back.

First LFR run on my warrior alt and got Starshatter and 2 sigils while barely breaking 25k dps since my real ilevel is 451 lol :(
I went to wowhead to see what else dropped off the last boss in MV, mainly for casters. A wand. How underwhelming is using a wand as a main hand compared to more visually pleasing things like an axe, sword, mace, or staff? yawn :-/ This post has no relevance to anything. Just thinking out loud.

FYC

Banned
Hmm, I have a week off of college coming up. If I poopsocked it, do you guys think I could go from around 70 or higher to 90, depending how much time I get in before said break? I only picked up MoP in early December and I actually don't have a 90 yet, funnily enough. Just been leveling my Monk and second Death Knight and a bit busy with other stuff. Worth noting I don't use heirlooms.

Hoplatee

Hmm, I have a week off of college coming up. If I poopsocked it, do you guys think I could go from around 70 or higher to 90, depending how much time I get in before said break? I only picked up MoP in early December and I actually don't have a 90 yet, funnily enough. Just been leveling my Monk and second Death Knight and a bit busy with other stuff. Worth noting I don't use heirlooms.

To 85 should not be a problem. 90 I don't know. Depends on what you from 85 onwards. On one char I quested a lot from 85 to 90 and it took me around 4/5 days. On my other char I dungeon rushed since it was instant queues and it took me around 2 days.

This is assuming you would play like 5 hours a day or something though. Or in my case way longer (like 7/8) since I was recovering from a injury so I had nothing better to do. Hours might not be completely correct but it would take a long time either way. :p

e) Not related to your post but heirlooms are so terrible at low level by the way (pre 20's). The insane DPS and stuff you do is awesome but it messes up questing so much. Noticed this while leveling my new Mage the other day.

ZenaxPure

I'd say that's pretty accurate, or at least similar to my experience. 88 to 89 and 89 to 90 took me around roughly 6 hours each just questing.

Kind of one of the reasons I haven't leveled many alts this expansion, that last grind man, I can't take it.

Trickster

I'd say you could, yes. It'd probably take 4-5 days.

Tarazet

For my first toon (bear tank), 85-90 took a week. But I did no dungeons at all, and had the Loremaster of Pandaria achievement by the end. Get the Archaeology 463 BOA polearm, tank some dungeons, and you can probably do it a lot faster.

Trickster

For my first toon (bear tank), 85-90 took a week. But I did no dungeons at all, and had the Loremaster of Pandaria achievement by the end. Get the Archaeology 463 BOA polearm, tank some dungeons, and you can probably do it a lot faster.

Why would you level up via questing as a tank? Things take forever to kill :p

If you level as dps, you should be able to do 85-90 in 2 days if you play all day.

Tamanon

Banned
89-90 is a lot easier as long as you're in a level-appropriate zone. Dread Wastes at 90 gives you almost 30% more XP per quest compared to the other places. Plus it gets you started on your Klaxxi.

Hoplatee

Vengeance will stack sky-high if you keep pulling stuff. It's not that slow unless you're stopping often.

Yeah, it really isn't all that bad. The few quests I did I just pulled tons of mobs and Victory Rush made sure I never died.

And crazy OP Second Wind of course!

TimeKillr

As a DK, leveling as Blood is MUCH MUCH MUCH better.

You can't die, output TONS and TONS and TONS of damage thanks to Vengeance and lots of aoe, and you can pull massive (as in 10+) mobs at once.

It's much easier. I tried leveling as Frost, and I got into trouble when I reached all those freaking rabbits... I would constantly die because they would overpull like mad. Switch to Blood? Bye bye, they're all dead within seconds and I'm at full health after every fight.

Tarazet

Fuck the PvP legendary quests. I've never seen Horde win a single warzone on my server. In fact, every single PvP encounter I've ever been in has been a complete embarrassment 100% of the time. Fuck it. Fuck Blizz.

I got to exalted with shieldwall today. Thats probably the most enjoyable rep grind ive ever experienced. Not too long. Mixed in with side quests that break up the grind and give extra rep. Nice story and cool locations that the side quests take you. Im knocking the factions off my checklist. Will get golden lotus done tomorrow. Klaxxi in a couple days. Feels good with my little friend the golden fleece. Shadopan and celestials will take a bit longer.

Trickster

Fuck the PvP legendary quests. I've never seen Horde win a single warzone on my server. In fact, every single PvP encounter I've ever been in has been a complete embarrassment 100% of the time. Fuck it. Fuck Blizz.

I'm also at that part of the quest. I hate pvp with a passion, so having to spend time winning 2 seperate battlegrounds pisses me off. So much for keeping pvp and pve seperate.

I also think it's stupid as hell that they want us to kill a totally random outside boss with over a 100 million hp. Who offers no reward afaik, other than completing the legendary quest.

Berordn

The boss isn't actually that bad, as long as you have a tank and a healer. He does a good bit of damage and has a (singular) mechanic, but you can get him with five.

I managed to do the BGs in two shots for each, so I don't really know how else to comment on that.

I'm also at that part of the quest. I hate pvp with a passion, so having to spend time winning 2 seperate battlegrounds pisses me off. So much for keeping pvp and pve seperate.

I also think it's stupid as hell that they want us to kill a totally random outside boss with over a 100 million hp. Who offers no reward afaik, other than completing the legendary quest.

I didn't have a lot of trouble with the PvP objectives or killing the jerk in KW, but they're pretty odd requirements for a PvE legendary item, yeah.

I imagine it would be murder on a PvP server to do it. As far as the battlegrounds, just keep at it. It's not so bad to get completely steamrolled. Kinda humbling, actually. :|

Trickster

I didn't have a lot of trouble with the PvP objectives or killing the jerk in KW, but they're pretty odd requirements for a PvE legendary item, yeah.

I imagine it would be murder on a PvP server to do it. As far as the battlegrounds, just keep at it. It's not so bad to get completely steamrolled. Kinda humbling, actually. :|

I have zero pvp gear, since I don't pvp normally. So I'm pretty much the most useless person in any battleground I enter. I can't kill anyone, and anyone can kill me.

Trying to do those battlegrounds without any pvp gear is actually so frustrating for me that I normally close the game after about 5 minutes.

I have zero pvp gear, since I don't pvp normally. So I'm pretty much the most useless person in any battleground I enter. I can't kill anyone, and anyone can kill me.

Trying to do those battlegrounds without any pvp gear is actually so frustrating for me that I normally close the game after about 5 minutes.

I know that feel! I was right there with you. My guild suggested that I do them late at night. I didn't have any gear either, but as a monk I have a couple of stuns. When I was out by myself, my goal was to keep people occupied while ACTUAL PvPers came and killed them. :p

It took two tries each. One loss, one win right after. Good luck, you'll get them eventually. :)

Tarazet

Oh yeah.. I finally was able to pull off an Opportunistic Strike. I guess with enough practice, even a derp like me can pull it off. I managed 3 of them actually. Wound up neck and neck with a Rogue who pulled off 8 of them. I probably could have done more, but the boss was being tanked right on the stairs and I kept running out of space when he slashed towards the room.

Trickster

Anyone know when MoP will gon on sale again? I missed out when it was $20 in nov but i have my warrior up to 46 so eventually ill want to get it.
Unreleated has anyone soloed archimonde yet? Id love to xmog this 2h someday for my arms spec.
http://www.wowhead.com/item=30902/cataclysms-edge

Pretty sure all the tbc raid bosses are soloable with little difficulty. At least if you have some proper gear.

Dunno when mop will be on sale though

TimeKillr

See I really disagree with that. It was a different experience, for sure, but it was still problematic. Rose-colored glasses and all that.

Sure, Vanilla and TBC were very cool - I remember them fondly. I loved them. Getting into groups was a hassle, and if you sucked, well, just too bad, you're never being invited into groups ever again, because everyone knows you and hates your guts.

That being said, Karazhan is the best raiding experience I've ever had. It was such an incredible raid...

Number45

I agree with the general meat of that comment though - taken from someone who isn't and has never been a hardcore WoW player I still enjoyed all of the instance runs being people from my realm - made some good friends in the game that way.

Of course, I also love that I can just click the button and wait to get into an instance as well.

ZenaxPure

The "argument" is just bad because it's leaving out all the negative aspects that came with that time in WoW.

There was absolutely nothing fun about spending your entire afternoon in ironforge spamming the LFG channel in hopes of maybe getting in ONE dungeon run before you had to go to sleep/school/work. Nor was it fun to hit a roadblock while questing because you needed to do a group quest and you had to spend even more time trying to find people to help. Besides, near the end of BWL (so halfway through vanilla) any sense of "server community" was dead to me because I had just gotten into one of the best raiding guilds on the server and from that point forward I literally never ran a dungeon or pvped without guildies ever again. Really not that different from modern WoW honestly.

Also that picture they linked is hilariously ironic considering you could get the best pvp gear in 2005 completely alone if you had the 15 hours a day it required to grind the honor. In 2012 if you wanted the equivalent to that gear you would need at least 2 other people for 3v3 arena or 9 other people for RBGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom