• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarazet

I have gotten six Terror in the Mists from Lei Shi now. Nothing else has dropped. How can I not feel like I'm being trolled by this point. :/ *angry fist shaking*

The loot drops are inconsequential at this point. I just do it for valor and don't stress, even on my alts which are running in full blues. It'll all be replaced again in a couple months, and the new valor gear will make it easy to catch up to the ~485ish range required for the new raids.

Yeah, those ridiculous DPS LFR queue times makes me think that if i start a new character, it will be one that can heal. Just so i only have to wait 1 minute rather than 45. :p

They need to let people get gear for a spec of their choice, instead of which spec the player is using in LFR. That would probably cut down hard on the queues.

Berordn

They need to let people get gear for a spec of their choice, instead of which spec the player is using in LFR. That would probably cut down hard on the queues.

Ghostcrawler apparently agrees since he keeps talking about this on Twitter, but it doesn't seem to be in 5.2 yet.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wish all the tanks worked like Monks, which would partially obvious the gearing problem.

Has Ghostcrawler or anyone from Blizzard said anything new about either "appear offline" or fixing the bug that dismounts players from passenger mounts when crossing zone borders?

Last I heard about either of these issues was from months and months ago but they are both very important to me.

Berordn

Has Ghostcrawler or anyone from Blizzard said anything new about either "appear offline" or fixing the bug that dismounts players from passenger mounts when crossing zone borders?

Last I heard about either of these issues was from months and months ago but they are both very important to me.

Just that it's a big technical hurdle to overcome since vehicles weren't taken into consideration for CRZ.

Nothing new, basically. It does suck.

The loot drops are inconsequential at this point. I just do it for valor and don't stress, even on my alts which are running in full blues. It'll all be replaced again in a couple months, and the new valor gear will make it easy to catch up to the ~485ish range required for the new raids.
But if we cant even get the drops to replace our gear now, why would 5.2 be in any different? Personally I like to play for the now, not what may or may not be in a couple months. Bad loot system just makes me weary of doing lfr and I do not have the time to do dedicated raiding or even pugs.

Berordn

But if we cant even get the drops to replace our gear now, why would 5.2 be in any different? Personally I like to play for the now, not what may or may not be in a couple months. Bad loot system just makes me weary of doing lfr and I do not have the time to do dedicated raiding or even pugs.

The 5.0 raids in LFR have increased droprates in 5.2. That way you can enter Throne of Thunder LFR quicker, if nothing else.

Rokam

Regarding 5.2 release, completely forgot about HotS releasing in March probably will see 5.2 either a couple weeks before that or a week or 2 after.

Yeah, that shit drives me nuts. I have a few mounts that I use when I'm playing with my girlfriend that we can both ride. Mounts i spent a lot of gold on. If we cross a border she gets kicked the fuck off for no god damned reason. It's stupid.

How are people measuring their splits during Challenge Mode attempts? Is there an addon or is there some speedrunner toolkit that folks are taking advantage of?

The 5.0 raids in LFR have increased droprates in 5.2. That way you can enter Throne of Thunder LFR quicker, if nothing else.
Oh definitely. I was more just musing about the fact rng is always going to screw some people over. ill appreciate the increased drop rate for older gear. Id like to gear up as much as possible now though regardless of the upcoming patch. I enjoy that part of the game. When 5.2 hits sure ill be trying to replace a bunch of gear but 5.2 will still be completely random as to what loot I get which will probably grieve me lol.

Berordn

Oh yeah, that's always going to be the bane of my existence. I do think we've reached a point where there's too much loot and just not enough bosses.

LFR feeling like punishment when you get the bag doesn't help any either.

lol my subscription ran out early this morning. I was dinking around when the game told me my sub would run out in 20 minutes (or maybe it was 30). Anyway, I was gonna sign off, but all of a sudden people started spamming general chat looking for people to kill galleon, which I've never even seen up before. So I raced over to help take him down. But then horde showed up and basically wiped us. Galleon disappeared. We all rez'd real quick, tagged galleon when he popped back up, stacked, and then got rid of the horde and finally downed him. Of course, I got absolutely nothing to drop but more gold. Big surprise... Then my sub ran out. Cool story though I guess.

Berordn

I remember back in Wrath if your sub ran out the servers wouldn't kick you off for a couple hours. A couple guildies would let their subs intentionally run out to see how much "free time" they could milk...

The record stands at 8 hours.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh yeah, that's always going to be the bane of my existence. I do think we've reached a point where there's too much loot and just not enough bosses.

LFR feeling like punishment when you get the bag doesn't help any either.

It says "You Won!" when you get it though, which makes me laugh sometimes.

Angry Grimace

Apparently I went into LFR last night while I was pretty shit-house drunk.

When I logged in today, my monk had Terror in the Mists equipped, all of my Elder Charms were gone and I was locked from Terrace and the first two bosses in Nightmare of Shek'zeer.

:lol

Vodh

Dilemmas, dilemmas... I've got all my chars on a nice, high pop server, that's where I got all my heirlooms. I've started playing a monk and it's a very fun class.

I've also got a guild where a couple of my RL friends play, on a shitty med-pop server. No heirlooms, no nothing, and they don't want another monk in their raids since they already have 2 of them in the core squad...

Westlo

Got stuck in Black Temple on souls and the other boss near him (lol :( ) so went to do sha, was fun stomping the alliance raid that was also building up, got tier gloves off him, was problem the most fun I had doing Sha, usually horde get wiped or let alliance go first...

Still not currently subbed, but I just got a Logitech G700. Should be good times whenever I get back in the game.

Not as many buttons as a Naga or some imitators, but I always felt those were a bit over the top ridiculous and not actually very functional in practice, especially for any application besides hotbar-based MMOs.

Island

So I stopped playing right after I hit 90. Did maybe one heroic, fooled around with the dailies and rep, and didn't touch LFR.

What's changed since then? What should I do? Legendary quest line? How far behind am I? What content or systems have been released since then? I read something about Thunderforge gear, some condemation systems etc. I don't even know what patches I missed.

Basically, can someone bring me up to speed on the state of the game?

Hoplatee

So I stopped playing right after I hit 90. Did maybe one heroic, fooled around with the dailies and rep, and didn't touch LFR.

What's changed since then? What should I do? Legendary quest line? How far behind am I? What content or systems have been released since then? I read something about Thunderforge gear, some condemation systems etc. I don't even know what patches I missed.

There eh... Well, nothing really has changed I guess. I started playing again since years in 5.1 but I am not sure if there was any really major content added from 5.0 -> 5.1. I don't think so.

If you haven't subbed yet at this moment I would wait till 5.2 comes out. Probably in a few weeks. Then you will have new dailies to do, another raid zone and so on but I am not sure if that is your interest since you mentioned you didn't even do LFR when you still played.

Stuff like the legendary quest requires you to do dailies (lots of them or kill mobs with someone for a few hours if you can tolerate that) + LFR (or normal) raiding.

Still not currently subbed, but I just got a Logitech G700. Should be good times whenever I get back in the game.

Not as many buttons as a Naga or some imitators, but I always felt those were a bit over the top ridiculous and not actually very functional in practice, especially for any application besides hotbar-based MMOs.

When I returned I was playing so damn terrible for a day or two. I used the same mouse for so many years on WoW but replaced it last year when I didn't play anymore and needed a new mouse. I had to relearn everything after so many years because I always used the same setup on my mouse but eh... It wasn't the same anymore. :p It is okay now though!

Ultratech

Legendary Questline so far just gives you a Gem (+500 Str/Int/Agi) for a "Sha-touched" weapon (found in LFR or Normal/Heroic raids), and adds a Prismatic Gem to it for the next part.
In 5.2, it continues onward to give you a Meta Gem.

Commendation System lets you purchase commendations for Pandaria Factions at Revered that give you 2x Rep for all characters on your account for that faction. Useful for alts and getting to Exalted.

5.1 also added some new factions and changed Krasarang into a bit of a PvP Zone. Worth doing the new factions since they have some actual story behind them and it's pretty good. Also added Item Upgrading (removed in next patch), more scenarios, and Brawler's Guild, which is sorta like a Fight Club-type thing.

As for 5.2, read this: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/patch-notes/under-dev
That'll give you a short overview, but it's obviously not everything.

Here's the full 5.2 PTR Patch Notes so far: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8226552

Island

Legendary Questline so far just gives you a Gem (+500 Str/Int/Agi) for a "Sha-touched" weapon (found in LFR or Normal/Heroic raids), and adds a Prismatic Gem to it for the next part.

Commendation System lets you purchase commendations for Pandaria Factions at Revered that give you 2x Rep for all characters on your account for that faction. Useful for alts and getting to Exalted.

5.1 also added some new factions and changed Krasarang into a bit of a PvP Zone. Worth doing the new factions since they have some actual story behind them and it's pretty good. Also added Item Upgrading (removed in next patch), more scenarios, and Brawler's Guild, which is sorta like a Fight Club-type thing.

Here's the full 5.2 PTR Patch Notes so far: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8226552

Excellent thank you.

Hoplatee

Oh wow, that was all in 5.1? I though it was just the new faction and Commendation System. That is pretty neat then. Not bad at all for a patch that came out so fast. I was really wrong about that then.

Totalriot

Got stuck in Black Temple on souls and the other boss near him (lol :( ) so went to do sha, was fun stomping the alliance raid that was also building up, got tier gloves off him, was problem the most fun I had doing Sha, usually horde get wiped or let alliance go first...

Which class are you using for Black Temple? Reliquary of Souls sucks for any class without proper self healing abilities. Otherwise it's boring but trivial. With my warrior I only use auto attacks with a few BTs here and there and let second wind do it's job.

Edit: On a related note, I am stuck on Brutallus on SWP. I even made a Prot-Spec but 20% is the best I can do before he kills me with 200K Meteor Slashes.

strafer

WHAT THE FUCK GC!

Now he's talking about removing gemming and enchanting.

What's wrong with you. This game has almost nothing left.

Brofist

Souls really isn't that hard to solo, just have to do slow and steady DPS rather than try to burst it down like a maniac. Even with a rogue's crap self healing I didn't find it hard.

Brofist

WHAT THE FUCK GC!

Silly, although I find having both reforging and gemming to be a bit redundant. I'd rather gems and enchants stay and reforging go.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
WHAT THE FUCK GC!

Are you talking about this comment?

So many ilvls of each piece + reforge + gems, enchants, enhances is making gear overwhelming. Too many choices/variables
Ignoring the damage it might do to professions, would you miss gemming and enchanting?

He just gave an example. He even said it would damage professions. You're reading waaaay too much into this.

Yeah, removing enchants and gems would damage the game (beyond just the economic profession repercussions.)

It'd make things more boring, less interesting. Just look at Diablo 3 which has only a veneer of gemming and had enchanting cut - itemization is a failure. While certainly the majority of the blame is on the items themselves, it certainly wouldn't be as bad if gems and enchants were there, well implemented, to pick up some of the slack.

I suppose someone could make the argument that enchanting and gemming are there just for the sake of adding a barrier to gearing up, but it's not just that. Maybe because it's all been theorycrafted out and the systems are a bit stale, yeah. But they could certainly revitalize things. Move more towards the weapon enchant style for all slots, rather than just passive stat increases. At least make it more interesting that way, even if they can't perfectly balance 2+ enchants for the same slot to be equally useful.

Maybe take a page out of D2's or Path of Exile's book and do something akin to runewords or linked sockets. Change up socket bonuses to be something other than passive stat bonuses (at least some of the time.)

I never cared as much until askmrrobot came out and presented me with stark reality of min/maxing in that regard. The more you know, the more miserable you are(tm).

It's an important endgame money sink too as you rejigger everything with each new piece of gear. I probably spend 500g each time I replace a 476 with a 483, etc.

Hoplatee

The only thing I don't like is reforging. The idea is great but having to reforge 90% of your gear just makes no sense to me.

Alright, 90% isn't completely true but you get my point. But I don't want to miss it either. It gives you so many options. It would be nice if it was a little bit cheaper. Even though I have tons of money I find it pretty expensive.

Angry Grimace

I think they're just taking whatever ideas they had for Titan and just throwing them onto WoW since they know the MMO thing isn't going to last long enough for them to put whatever it is out and make it profitable.

Robin64

I wish reforging was simpler and didn't include hit. Heck, remove hit. Give us all the cap automatically. It's not a fun stat. Let us play around with reforging more than we can right now, rather than using MrRobot to see the optimum way to get the hit we need.

Hoplatee

I wish reforging was simpler and didn't include hit. Heck, remove hit. Give us all the cap automatically. It's not a fun stat. Let us play around with reforging more than we can right now, rather than using MrRobot to see the optimum way to get the hit we need.

Yeah I like that idea. Hit is annoying.

Reforging added nothing to the game that enchanting and gems didn't already supply, except that anybody could do it without relying on the player economy. Reforging essentially replaced common quality gems, keeping blizzard from having to put gem sockets on green gear and almost all blue gear.

I wouldn't personally miss reforging my epics, at least not in slots I already have to gem and enchant. It's a nuisance whenever I get a piece that messes with my hit chance against bosses and I have to reforge 6-8 slots to get precisely back to the cap. It's needless stress, the gold outlay notwithstanding. Just give me a reforging slider rather than a flat % so I only really need to mess with the hit rating on, say, my neck piece or trinkets and be done with it.

I still think hit is a valuable stat as it serves as a 'you must be this tall to ride this encounter' dipstick. It's the first gear threshold anybody can achieve and it's nice to get there for the first time. It's only annoying because of all the fiddling you have to currently to endure and pay for to stay within a 0.03% chance of missing the boss. Just remove the fussiness and you'll like hit again.

Totalriot

I still think hit is a valuable stat as it serves as a 'you must be this tall to ride this encounter' dipstick. It's the first gear threshold anybody can achieve and it's nice to get there for the first time. It's only annoying because of all the fiddling you have to currently to to stay within a %.03 chance of missing the boss. Just remove the fussiness and you'll like hit again.

Yeah, this is really annoying. But fortunately this is only neccessary for the first raiding tier of the expansion. Later items will provide enough hit/exp without the need to reforge.

FLEABttn

Banned
Gemming is redundant. They're not going to get rid of it, but I wouldn't miss it if it were gone. I thought it was a shitty add to TBC anyways. "How can we do something we're already doing in game but pretend it's something new, interesting, and meaningful?" "Make enchanting...again!"

Hit's not a "fun" stat nor is it something I want to juggle - either via hit removal or just having it be something that naturally takes care of itself as you acquire more gear.

I find reforging pointless as well, I have a mod that takes all the thought out of it anyways and literally does it for me. I'd be fine (was fine) with less than optimal gear that improves as you move through the game. The constant stat shuffling decreases how meaningful your stats and gear are. Despite the crying over suboptimal stat allocation being uninteresting, having a system that provides near perfect stat allocation is less interesting.

Berordn

Reforging would be interesting if it was more than a band-aid to poor itemization for certain specs. Remove Hit/Spirit/Expertise from it and make it stronger, and it might have interesting implications.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Gemming is redundant. They're not going to get rid of it, but I wouldn't miss it if it were gone. I thought it was a shitty add to TBC anyways. "How can we do something we're already doing in game but pretend it's something new, interesting, and meaningful?" "Make enchanting...again!"

Hit's not a "fun" stat nor is it something I want to juggle - either via hit removal or just having it be something that naturally takes care of itself as you acquire more gear.

I find reforging pointless as well, I have a mod that takes all the thought out of it anyways and literally does it for me. I'd be fine (was fine) with less than optimal gear that improves as you move through the game. The constant stat shuffling decreases how meaningful your stats and gear are. Despite the crying over suboptimal stat allocation being uninteresting, having a system that provides near perfect stat allocation is less interesting.

Agreed. I hate the binary nature of stat allocation and the way that reforging works. I think it's more fruitful to not have reforging and still have items that "may" be sub-optimal for your spec. Loot right now is basically - if it has the right stats, take it. If it doesn't, vendor/DE it.

Angry Grimace

They aren't getting rid of gemming because then they'd have an entire profession that doesn't do anything.

The concept of gemming, reforging and enchanting all existing is primarily why I oppose the "upgrade" system. We already have enough ways to fuck around with our gear.

Ultratech

Finally got my T11 Meta Drake the other day.

So good. :D
NEJHRGf.jpg

Tarazet

Silly, although I find having both reforging and gemming to be a bit redundant. I'd rather gems and enchants stay and reforging go.

If reforging went away, then most people would have to completely regear and many of the current sets would be completely useless. For example, the 450 PvP Int leather has no Spirit on it. Without reforging, it would be vendor fodder.

I have one rare left to kill for the achievement glorious but ahone the wanderer is phased. Pretty sure I did the wrong quest to prevent the issue. Bleah.

EDIT:

I put in a ticket yesterday and a GM contacted me later saying the issue should be fixed, and it was. "Glorious" achievement completed. Is it possible that they're dealing with phasing issues on a person to person basis? Or maybe it's a server thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom