• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

My guess would be that the faction association is an accident and they're BoE rewards from some questing satchel for the Isle of the Thunder King.

My guess would be that the faction association is an accident and they're BoE rewards from some questing satchel for the Isle of the Thunder King.
This sounds like a good possibility. 476 gear would be underwhelming with 489 and 496 gear available through other factions. Not that it's worth farming valor for any of it. I stopped trying. I'll get what comes from doing occasional dailies and LFR, but trying to get valor capped each week to purchase one piece of gear that cost 2200 valor after 3 weeks of farming is a complete waste of time. Sorry. It's like I can't help myself.
complaining that is
=)

Ultratech

Well, it's gear obtained at Honored...so could be bought for JP. Maybe.
(Would be kinda shitty to pay Valor for it unless it's cheap.)

Another week, another Lei Shi kill and no Gun. :(
At least this week, I managed to get Terror in the Mists.

At this point, I now have all Epic gear except my Weapon. -_-

Whooter

Aren't warlocks the only class to get these kinds of class specific quests? They used to have the one for the mount, and now they have the one for green fire.

Kinda wish blizzard made unique class questline like this for other classes as well...

Well, rogues did get the Legendary daggers questline, too.

But yeah, all classes should get something like this.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Aren't warlocks the only class to get these kinds of class specific quests? They used to have the one for the mount, and now they have the one for green fire.

Kinda wish blizzard made unique class questline like this for other classes as well...

It has recently been inversely tied to class popularity. By the end of Cata, rogues were about the least popular class because people didn't like playing them much anymore for a number of reasons, and the legendary daggers were definitely part of an attempt to mitigate that.

As for the Warlock quest, I believe it was Ghostcrawler who recently stated that locks have been getting some love because they too were a bit underplayed and needed to be more effectively differentiated from mages.

Ultratech

Well, Hunters and Priests had unique questlines for Rhok'delar and Benediction/Anathema back in Vanilla, but those got removed in Cata.

And Paladins used to have class quests for their mounts too, before that eventually got removed.

Hell, a lot of class-related quests that used to be in the game have more or less been nerfed or removed. Like how Druids used to have to do quests for their shapeshift forms, and Shaman for getting their Totems and such.

About the only ones I've seen nowadays is just some you get off your trainer telling you to go collect/kill x and they give you some gear. (One at Lv20 gives you a good weapon, another at about 50 gives you a T1-lookalike Helm.) Or just some low-level stuff.

Robin64

I want to make a warrior and level up purely as prot. I'll dive into dungeons on the way up, but I'll also be questing. That's viable now, right, questing as a tank spec?

Tamanon

Banned
I want to make a warrior and level up purely as prot. I'll dive into dungeons on the way up, but I'll also be questing. That's viable now, right, questing as a tank spec?

Completely viable, and Prot is actually really good for questing while leveling up also. At least it is after you get Revenge/Devastate in the mid twenties.

Berordn

Around 87 or so the damage you do becomes less than productive, but until then shield bash has a tendency to one-shot stuff once you have vengeance rolling.

Tarazet

Around 87 or so the damage you do becomes less than productive, but until then shield bash has a tendency to one-shot stuff once you have vengeance rolling.

Bear in mind the ilevel of the shield affects how much damage you do with it. It can even be more important than the main hand at lower levels.

Hoplatee

More than viable. Also very enjoyable and whenever you want to do a dungeon you don't even have to wait. Perfect!

ZenaxPure

Regarding class-specific quests and why there aren't more of them: Blizzard always claims that it's one of those things that very few people get do. When there is a quest that only one class can see they seem to feel it takes more man power than it's worth. It's pretty much the same philosophy they have with raiding, the reason Naxx came back in wotlk is because less than like 1% of the player base ever saw Kel'thuzad and fought him in vanilla (and even TBC at that). Same reason they made raids easier but added 2 difficulties and eventually now why LFR exists.

Obviously they still add some from time to time but they seem really restrained with it, as someone else pointed out already back in vanilla we saw it everywhere. Dire Maul warlock mount quest, Scholo paladin mount quest, priest staff quest, hunter bow, and this isn't even including all the little stuff that doesn't exist anymore such as the warrior survival arena for berserker stance, the rogue chain that unlocked access to poisons, warlock demon quests, hunter pet quests, and so so many others.

I guess I understand where they are coming from, those quests always have more effort put into them than normal quests and then are restricted to one class, and even further it's not guaranteed people of that class will do them. But, at the same time I always enjoyed them myself and my warlock was literally my first alt to hit level 90 in preparation of the green fire quest line. For me those quests are always just special and clearly have more effort put into them and usually have a cool story arc that gives some life to random parts of WoW.

strafer

I loved the old class quests.

Running to find two books for your Felhunter at Level 30.

And the Dreadsteed quest, that shit was cray. Shame I didn't do it.

Rokam

You take that back!

He does exist!

About to hit 90 on my 5th character, may be the fastest I have leveled. No heirlooms and should come in under 4 days played. It has been fun taking a break from the other characters. Got so tired of valor capping.

Berordn

Regarding class-specific quests and why there aren't more of them: Blizzard always claims that it's one of those things that very few people get do. When there is a quest that only one class can see they seem to feel it takes more man power than it's worth. It's pretty much the same philosophy they have with raiding, the reason Naxx came back in wotlk is because less than like 1% of the player base ever saw Kel'thuzad and fought him in vanilla (and even TBC at that). Same reason they made raids easier but added 2 difficulties and eventually now why LFR exists.

Obviously they still add some from time to time but they seem really restrained with it, as someone else pointed out already back in vanilla we saw it everywhere. Dire Maul warlock mount quest, Scholo paladin mount quest, priest staff quest, hunter bow, and this isn't even including all the little stuff that doesn't exist anymore such as the warrior survival arena for berserker stance, the rogue chain that unlocked access to poisons, warlock demon quests, hunter pet quests, and so so many others.

I guess I understand where they are coming from, those quests always have more effort put into them than normal quests and then are restricted to one class, and even further it's not guaranteed people of that class will do them. But, at the same time I always enjoyed them myself and my warlock was literally my first alt to hit level 90 in preparation of the green fire quest line. For me those quests are always just special and clearly have more effort put into them and usually have a cool story arc that gives some life to random parts of WoW.

It seems like they're working on slowly reintroducing them in a fair-ish way, with the warlock quests taking place in their own little hub, it's almost like Archeus, Moonglade and the Peak of Serenity. If every class got a small exlcusive hub where they could hang around and do a few unique things, it'd make up for removing everything they did already.

Almost, anyway. They really shouldn't have removed everything they did in Cataclysm, it's not like the redesign removed most of those areas.

strafer

T9FSLJ9X1FEA1359498176849.jpg

WORLD OF WARCRAFT: DAWN OF THE ASPECTS

Part I Excerpt

And then... a sound louder than thunder stilled not only the sisters, but every proto-dragon in the vicinity.

The sound erupted again, shaking the rocky ridges upon which Malygos and many of the other hunters perched. Several of the proto-dragons were cowed, and Kalec felt even Malygos fight not to prostrate himself.

Only then did Kalec realize that the incredible noise was a gigantic roar.

A vast region of the overcast sky broke away, descending with astonishing swiftness. The velocity caused the clouds to quickly scatter, revealing a sight that truly could daunt not only a proto-dragon, but even the most powerful of Kalec's own kind.

This was supposed to be a proto-dragon, but so immense was its size that not even a dragon could be chosen for an adequate comparison. Kalec could think of no creature save one that could be used… and that would have meant comparing Galakrond to himself.

Even though Kalec had never seen the gigantic Galakrond in the flesh, the remote possibility that he would not have recognized this titanic being had been eliminated by Galakrond's name racing over and over through Malygos's mind. In addition, through his host's brief glimpse away from the Father of Dragons to the other proto-dragons, Kalec saw that not one of the hunters remained in the sky. Galakrond now commanded the world above, and there was no proto-dragon foolish enough to challenge that rule.

He swooped down, passing over the entire region in a matter of seconds. In Galakrond's wake there came a vicious wind that even tore several proto-dragons from their roosts and sent more than one meal toppling to the ground far below. Galakrond's roar was no less ground-shaking miles away, forcing Malygos and the sisters to grip their perches tighter.

For such a colossal creature, Galakrond turned with remarkable agility. Once more, he passed over the now-panicking herd, but this time with intent. Galakrond seized up two caribou in each of his much larger hind paws and scooped up another whole in his gargantuan maw, then rose up. The grazer in his mouth vanished down his gullet and a moment later so did both of those in his left hind paw. By the time Galakrond leveled, all five of his catches were well on their way down to his stomach.

But five was not enough. Galakrond veered back and lunged toward the scattering prey. This time, however, he suddenly pulled back. Confused at first, Kalec watched as the bending of the vast wings during the halt created a windstorm that sent dozens of beasts rolling uncontrollably.

Before several of the caribou could rise to their feet, Galakrond plucked them up. With at least eight claimed that Kalec could see, the Father of Dragons soared back into the clouds.

It was not until several seconds after Galakrond's departure that the first proto-dragons dared move. There was no renewal of the hunt; not only were the caribou scattered so far and wide that pursuit would have required too much effort, but most of the proto-dragons were still too shaken up by Galakrond's startling manifestation. Some took to the sky themselves and fled for calmer climes. Others remained subdued.

The Father of Dragons… Kalec could still not believe the stunning image. To witness Galakrond alive was something he could never have imagined.

The blue knew little of Galakrond save that he had been one of the largest beings to roam Azeroth and that he had represented the shift from proto-dragon to true dragon. It was not that Galakrond had actually fathered all true dragons—that was a myth somehow spread millennia ago—but that after him had come the five Aspects and their respective dragonflights. Proto-dragons had all but vanished after that.

There were other legends concerning Galakrond, but, in truth, Kalec understood that only his three counterparts knew the truth. He had never thought to ask them about the Father of Dragons, but now wished that he had.

Yet, Kalec's momentary awe soon gave way again to his anger and frustration—and growing concern—over his being trapped in these ancient visions. Each one seemed more and more lifelike, as if his own time were the fantasy and this scene now were the true present.

Not for the first time, he tried to will himself back, but nothing changed. He continued to be an insignificant, unnoticed phantasm trapped within Malygos. Not even Alexstrasza or Ysera—both of whom in the future would have abilities that should make them sense his presence—so much as glanced in curiosity at the male beside them.

I will be free! Kalec abruptly roared, though his roar went unheard by any save himself. Bereft of a throat—or a body—he felt like nothing but a memory remembered by no one.

Laughter filled his—or rather, Malygos's—ears. Kalec at first thought that someone mocked him, but instead, the laughter was aimed at the other proto-dragons by a charcoal-gray male a bit larger than most, who actually sneered at the others.

"Little hatchlings!" he bellowed. "Afraid of the sky! Afraid of the ground! Galakrond laughs at you for being afraid, and I, Neltharion, do, too!"

Some of the proto-dragons hissed at the gray male, but no one challenged him. By their glances, they knew him to be strong and able to back up his taunt. Even those proto-dragons who clearly had little more intelligence than their prey appeared to know better than to fight—

Neltharion? The name finally penetrated. Kalec sought in vain to seize control of Malygos's body as the newcomer, still laughing, flew off. Where Galakrond had been a startling, unsettling thing of legend, this gray male represented a danger to the future of all life on Azeroth. If there was a creature more evil than Neltharion, Kalec could not think of one.

Of course, by the blue's time, the gray male would be better known by his more apt title… Deathwing.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I've stopped playing WoW for the past few months, but being that my only 90 char is a warlock, the green fire shit certainly has me intrigued. Whether or not I bother with it comes down to just how rare/farm-grindy the chain-beginning tome item is to acquire.

strafer

I really think we will see a rise when the next expansion hits, I really do.

New Player Models will be in, that's a big deal for most of the player base.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
They might show them but adding them in game seems a bit fast.

I mean, what else are they going to use as a selling point? :D

Vanilla servers?

Dwarves are done, they said they want to get them out asap.

What do you mean what else as a selling point? Something else they haven't announced yet, or the rest of the expansion? It's not THAT big a deal.

Loxley

They might show them but adding them in game seems a bit fast.

I mean, what else are they going to use as a selling point? :D

Vanilla servers?

I'm still of the opinion that those people who have been asking for vanilla servers are the loud minority. I mean, statistically speaking, half the people who are currently playing WoW weren't even playing the game pre-TBC/2.0, and have no nostalgia for that period of WoW's existence.

My theory is that the people who want those servers would make it maybe one week before they realize just how vastly fucked-up the game was back then compared to now and just jump ship.

Okay, I'll admit that for shear novelty factor it would be neat to go back and run around Azeroth pre-2.0, maybe do a 10-man UBRS, a 45 minute Baron run and a take a swing at Molten Core/Onyxia's Lair. But I would not want to stick around that hell hole, certainly not as a pre-TBC Paladin where my job, regardless of talent point allocation, is heal & decurse.

Berordn

I would personally love to see a storyline progression server, where everyone starts at 1.0 content and replays the game in the order content is released, until it eventually catches up and either restarts (after moving everyone off to holding) or becomes a standard server again.

That would be a ton of work to make things work with whatever the current talent system is at the time and a lot of mechanics to make relevant again, but at some point I'd like to see that, not because I have any love affair for Vanilla, but because it makes no sense to have this content be nonexistent anymore.

I would personally love to see a storyline progression server, where everyone starts at 1.0 content and replays the game in the order content is released, until it eventually catches up and either restarts (after moving everyone off to holding) or becomes a standard server again.

That would be a ton of work to make things work with whatever the current talent system is at the time and a lot of mechanics to make relevant again, but at some point I'd like to see that, not because I have any love affair for Vanilla, but because it makes no sense to have this content be nonexistent anymore.
An EverQuest-style progression server would be great but I don't see them doing it at all. Like you said there were things people loved and things that people just downright hated. Not to mention people would be pissed when they find their favorite specs aren't viable in endgame.

Ultratech

I really think we will see a rise when the next expansion hits, I really do.

New Player Models will be in, that's a big deal for most of the player base.

10 Year Anniversary: "Here's new player models for everyone!"

Wishful thinking of course.

I'm still of the opinion that those people who have been asking for vanilla servers are the loud minority. I mean, statistically speaking, half the people who are currently playing WoW weren't even playing the game pre-TBC/2.0, and have no nostalgia for that period of WoW's existence.

My theory is that the people who want those servers would make it maybe one week before they realize just how vastly fucked-up the game was back then compared to now and just jump ship.

Okay, I'll admit that for shear novelty factor it would be neat to go back and run around Azeroth pre-2.0, maybe do a 10-man UBRS, a 45 minute Baron run and a take a swing at Molten Core/Onyxia's Lair. But I would not want to stick around that hell hole, certainly not as a pre-TBC Paladin where my job, regardless of talent point allocation, is heal & decurse.

I only came in at the very end of Vanilla, and while it was alright, there's still a ton of things that would turn people off. It'd be hell trying to get a 40 man MC, not to mention the godawful attunements for UBRS and Onyxia (which requires UBRS or somebody with a key) would have plenty bitching. And progress would be horrendously slow.

And like you said, many classes were practically forced into one or two specs in order to do the most damage or got stuck being healbots/decursers.

It'd be fun for a while, then it'd get old pretty quick.

Touchdown

Banned
I am in full support of the idea of more class specific quests! I really liked the old druid quests for the different forms. It would be cool if each class had different questlines while lvling up and also have a few big exp quests requiring you to group up with friends or guildies that were different classes. It would add a lot I think.

Vodh

And what I'd like to see is some kind of rep/money incentive to go through the old quest lines. If they split them into well defined 'arcs' that you could reset, and make them a sub-optimal but still viable alternative to dailies, it would be great to enjoy some of the stories you've either missed or long forgotten on your current main toon.

Touch

When ever I get to come back to WoW again (comp died, waiting on new parts to come in) I think I'm going to start working on Loremaster. I have always wanted to do it but have always been driven away from doing it with gearing and prepping for raiding and PvP. Now, I'm just really interested in playing my classes rather than "working" just to play content if that makes any sense. Should be pretty fun to roam the lands and learn the lore with a care free attitude. I just got to figure out which toon I would like to take on this adventure. Both my Warlock and Rogue are equally meaningful to me so it's going to be a rough decision.

Hoplatee

Finally got my glaives from BT and alar mount. Sub runs out next week so i will just leave it at that for now. It has been fun.

It was not enjoyable at all untill you open the other factions. After that it was quite decent but not being able to get into pugs has just destroyed my motivation to play more for now. Get a guild blabla, not interested in them anymore. :(

McNei1y

So my guild and I are thinking of transferring. Currently, we have two 10 man groups that raid. Group 1 and Group 2. I am currently in group 2 with two people that I've been playing with for awhile. Our group is 4 bosses ahead in heroics over group 1. We've been having trouble getting 10 people for the past three weeks because random people in our core have IRL stuff to do... That's not the problem. The problem is that we can't get any pugs on our server (Mannoroth). All we needed was a 480 healer and we could've continued on... but we didn't get a single whisper. Anyway, if we were to transfer, we're probably taking 6 people from G2 and 4 from G1....

My question is: Has anyone transferred with their guild to another server? Any tips? We're a Horde guild on Mannoroth. Mannoroth seems to be like 10 alliance for every 1 horde.

ZenaxPure

My question is: Has anyone transferred with their guild to another server? Any tips? We're a Horde guild on Mannoroth. Mannoroth seems to be like 10 alliance for every 1 horde.

My guild transferred this expansion for similar reasons. We literally 2 healed almost all of Dragon Soul heroic because we could not find a third healer from recruitment on our medium pop server.

We're on Zul'jin (US) now, but, it's been kinda ehhh to be honest. On our old server we were a big fish in a small pond and now we've became more of a medium sized fish in an ocean. The main point I want to make is that we moved to a high pop server for easier recruitment but it honestly hasn't became THAT much easier, we have barely raided the past couple of months because even though it's a higher pop server there is just way more competition. The past couple of weeks we've finally gotten a stable 10 again, but, one of our best DPS has been healing because we haven't been able to find a competent healer since like November.

It seems like they're working on slowly reintroducing them in a fair-ish way, with the warlock quests taking place in their own little hub, it's almost like Archeus, Moonglade and the Peak of Serenity. If every class got a small exlcusive hub where they could hang around and do a few unique things, it'd make up for removing everything they did already.

Almost, anyway. They really shouldn't have removed everything they did in Cataclysm, it's not like the redesign removed most of those areas.

That is something I've been wondering about too. Even rogues have their own spot but there is nothing worthwhile to do there. It would be nice if every class had their own little hub they could go to while leveling up to take on special quests and such. Could even be useful to teach people how to properly use a lot of their abilities like the Monk quests attempt to.

Loxley

Stormrage 487 WW monk here. Nothing to do because nobody I play with is at my level. Anybody got stuff to do?

Horde or Alliance? My main (Human Paladin) is on Stormrage and I know literally nobody there (transferred a couple months back). My gear is terrible, but mostly because I've been procrastinating on heroics and the like ever since hitting 90.

Nekofrog

Banned
Horde or Alliance? My main (Human Paladin) is on Stormrage and I know literally nobody there (transferred a couple months back). My gear is terrible, but mostly because I've been procrastinating on heroics and the like ever since hitting 90.

Alliance, but I'm mostly looking to get into a raid situation, or a PVP setup. I'm 470 for PVP, with both malev weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom