• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mining has to be one of the most common professions.

Well now that we've covered the "well, because it doesn't affect me you should get over it" answer... can someone who is on the PTR tell me if I was correct in understanding that is how that portion of the quest line is going to go?

I can disagree with the design decision - that's already been established (I still think it's messed up if true; making an entire server focus on one resource when you have limited nodes up at any time). However, I have started planting for ore on my farm and I want to know if I should continue to do that for my own sake or save it for the auction house.

Entropia

No One Remembers
That whole sha/galleon mount mess is hilarious.

Blizzard: No no it's working as intended.
People: No mount has dropped since launch
-5 Threads and one non-Tuesday quick server maintenance later-
First Sha mount drops.

GG Blizzard.

That sounds like our Blizzard!

Westlo

So let me get this straight for 5.2...

Wrathion is going to ask that EVERYONE gets him a shit ton of ghost ore and trillium bars.

Everyone...

... not only from mining people but from every other person who doesn't have mining instead of asking for an amount of something that's relevant to their profession?

Am I wrong? Cause to me... that seems really messed up in terms of miners cornering the market and no one else will be able to complete it without being gold raped.

It's a minuscule amount and buy it off the AH now before it rises in price.

Rokam

Alchemists can even make trillium bars if you have ghost iron bars. It's really not a big deal. Although I do wish it was living steel >:p, I have 2 stacks of those!

If anyone is looking for a good place to farm charms for the Holiday mount or pet, Heroic Throne of Tides, kill first boss then go back to the first level to the hallway with the elementals. Kill the first 2 big elementals, leave the last 2 alive. AoE down the little adds for the next bajillion hours. Not sure what classes can solo this, but tank classes for sure!

strafer

5.2?

cc05301b87df7b2a02fa0f3111b285c0.jpg

Bizazedo

40 trillium is hardly miniscule

It really is. Especially with how far out the patch is from now. And on a Legendary quest at that.

All you need is Ghost Iron and then one friend who can transmute. It's essentially Blizzard saying get a friend.

And there's nothing wrong with that in an MMO. They should have more of this stuff, though, to encourage interdependancy, but it's a fine line with how much the game has become single player-like.

lordmrw

I'm still of the opinion that those people who have been asking for vanilla servers are the loud minority. I mean, statistically speaking, half the people who are currently playing WoW weren't even playing the game pre-TBC/2.0, and have no nostalgia for that period of WoW's existence.

My theory is that the people who want those servers would make it maybe one week before they realize just how vastly fucked-up the game was back then compared to now and just jump ship.

Okay, I'll admit that for shear novelty factor it would be neat to go back and run around Azeroth pre-2.0, maybe do a 10-man UBRS, a 45 minute Baron run and a take a swing at Molten Core/Onyxia's Lair. But I would not want to stick around that hell hole, certainly not as a pre-TBC Paladin where my job, regardless of talent point allocation, is heal & decurse.

Oh god you reminded me of something stupid I tried to do with a friend of mine. I started a month after WOTLK and since this was my first MMO my leveling progress was slow. Around level 46 or 47 I tried to get a group together to do Stratholme for at least a week but gave up out of frustration. A friend of mine suggested we try to duo it and I said sure. Only prolbem? He was a hunter, I was a rogue......

About 3 hours and an inhuman number of wipes later we finally made it to the service entrance are before giving up. Why didn't we give up after the first 30 minutes? Pure stupidity. But it was fun as hell.

And just so you know that wouldn't be the last time we'd try something that retarded.

FYC

Banned
Woohoo, 85

Now I can experience Pandaria. Yay!

I could have just used my 85 druid, but eh, I wanted a DK because reasons, and I wanted to actually take the time to read Outland / Northrend / Cataclysm quests because even though I've been playing since vanilla I usually just skimmed over them. It was a fun experience, especially after learning more about the lore in general! I wish I had read the quests more thoroughly before Cataclysm took over old Azeroth. Oh well.

So I have come to this glorious thread for some help. Out of what seems like the blue, Blizzard just flat gave me a battlechest at some point. So I own WoW up to Lich King, but I've never played. I decided to give the free trial a go and I think I might take the plunge. Any sort of advice for someone coming in brand new to the game? Also would it be beneficial to upgrade through Pandaria from the get go, or can I wait a bit on the latter two expansions?

Berordn

So I have come to this glorious thread for some help. Out of what seems like the blue, Blizzard just flat gave me a battlechest at some point. So I own WoW up to Lich King, but I've never played. I decided to give the free trial a go and I think I might take the plunge. Any sort of advice for someone coming in brand new to the game? Also would it be beneficial to upgrade through Pandaria from the get go, or can I wait a bit on the latter two expansions?

All the races are available now out of the gate, so the only reason to upgrade through to Pandaria would be to start a monk. Otherwise you're dropping money for content that you can't access yet because of level restrictions.

Other than that, don't be afraid to keep trying classes out and ask questions. Finding a class that you like is going to be the longest part, but playing something you hate to 90 is going to burn you out faster.

I agree with Berordn, choosing a class is very important. Healing and Tanking are a lot of responsibility for a new player - DPS will be the easiest. Figure out if you want to do melee or ranged damage, and study the unique aspects of each class. Race isn't as important as class but make sure to choose someone you won't mind looking at for several hours.

It would help a lot to have an IRL friend to guide you through the game, as it is quite complex, but luckily 2013 WoW is very user-friendly to new players so you shouldn't have a problem learning the basics on your own.

Addons are a big part of the game - user created mods that can enhance gameplay (addons are mostly UI changes/additions). I use Mappy for a bigger minimap, Titan Panel for top and bottom borders that display information like FPS, gold, coordinates, time, repair etc. Auctioneer (particularly the appraiser) is essential for using the Auction House.

Basically just do your research and jump in. This game is great because you get from it what you deserve - i.e. put in the time and effort and you will be rewarded.

Online resources are hugely important for this game. Wowhead will be your main source of info on items and NPCs, especially the user comments area. Wowpedia is great for quest and zone info. Noxxic or Icy Veins are where you can find class builds, spell rotation, stat priority, basically how to play your character.

Good luck and have fun!

All the races are available now out of the gate, so the only reason to upgrade through to Pandaria would be to start a monk. Otherwise you're dropping money for content that you can't access yet because of level restrictions.

Other than that, don't be afraid to keep trying classes out and ask questions. Finding a class that you like is going to be the longest part, but playing something you hate to 90 is going to burn you out faster.

Thanks for the advice. :D Yeah, I'm kinda testing out characters/classes and seeing what I like. I keep hearing that a hunter is a pretty good starting class so I might give that a try. So far I have a warrior and a warlock in the trial and both are pretty cool.
Also thanks for the tip on the expansions. I wasn't sure how they managed and divided out content. Since it's level restricted I'll hold off until I get to that point unless they go on crazy sale. I'll probably go for it come payday, so I'm sure I'll be back in here with loads of newbie questions. :p
@The Lamonster: Great advice too, thanks duder!

strafer

Ketchup
As I briefly mentioned in the Currency Conversion section, 5.0 Valor items are seeing their prices reduced by 50%, and those added with the 5.1 factions (Operation Shieldwall and Dominance Offensive) will see their prices cut by 25%. In addition, the chance to get drops in the 5.0 LFR raids is being greatly increased, including the chance to get an item when using an Elder Charm for a bonus roll. All of this means gearing up alts will be a bit quicker, and if you’re not at that 480 requirement yet it should be pretty fruitful to run those raids for a few more weeks to get you there.

Sounds Like Heavy Metal
This isn’t really anything you can prepare for, but I think it’s at least worth mentioning here. In the Throne of Thunder, the Normal and Heroic raid bosses have a chance to drop an item with a new Thunderforged designation. Thunderforged items are 6 item levels higher than their standard counterparts. Bonus rolls can award a Thunderforged item (again, only in Normal and Heroic), so probably the only thing to plan for ahead of time is having Lesser Charms ready and waiting to exchange for Mogu Runes of Fate.

haha

McNei1y

Looks like they are trying to release 5.2 by the 26th...

Also, I just saw that my main's name is taken on the server that I'm transferring to... because of an inactive level 80... feels bad man.

Rokam

Here's hoping the new LFR gets nerfed into the ground then! Guess I'll start capping on valor again to upgrade any 496 items I have.

Rokam

If you've already changed your name then no, but they will free up the name in use if the account hasn't been active in awhile.

McNei1y

Hrmm... Maybe I assumed to much. I checked the armory of the guy and he's earned achievements... but the achievements he earned require him to be 90. The armory also says updated today but that might just have been the guy logging on. Either way, I guess I won't be able to get the name.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Been playing a derelict Priest that I've had at 83 since Cata... bought a bunch of level 83 ilvl 364 stuff and healing is such a joke. I basically top meters and heal the entire time. :lol It's pretty much how Disc priest is at the level whenever you get atonement.

Tamanon

Banned
Hrmm... Maybe I assumed to much. I checked the armory of the guy and he's earned achievements... but the achievements he earned require him to be 90. The armory also says updated today but that might just have been the guy logging on. Either way, I guess I won't be able to get the name.

It's probably an alt of an active player then, that'd explain the achievements.

Loxley

So, I was running some Alterac Valley matches to prep myself for this week's Call to Arms, and some dick on the Horde side was multi-boxing 10 goddamn Paladins. We couldn't hold onto a single a tower solely because of him, as a result it turned into a turtle-fest. My years of experience doing AV have taught me that if a match turns into a turtling contest, the quicker solution is to just AFK, wait 15 minutes, then re-queue.

I know multi-boxing isn't technically against the EULA since they're paying for each and every one of those accounts, but fuck me I wish I could have reported him. This was one of those times where I wished it was physically possible to reach through your monitor and punch another player in the face.

Berordn

If it's disruptive to normal play, it is actually a bannable offense.

I guess the real question then is, is that normal play or not?

McNei1y

I know multi-boxing isn't technically against the EULA since they're paying for each and every one of those accounts, but fuck me I wish I could have reported him.

I hate how it was banned back in the day but then they made it legal... it's so cheap. 10 Paladins is crazy! The most I've ever dealt with was 8 elemental shamans. It was insane how cheap it is.

So my guild needs a tank. I want to tank on my paly that I just leveled. I tried it earlier and i was TERRIBLE. Now, mind you, I tanked in vanilla on a warrior and I've tanked on a DK pretty solid as well, but for some reason my paly doesn't feel quite right.

My paly's name is Cyclonus, and he's on Azuremyst. Gear is kind of so-so.

Any help, tips, or suggestions you could give would be fucking awesome.

Thanks.

Tamanon

Banned
So my guild needs a tank. I want to tank on my paly that I just leveled. I tried it earlier and i was TERRIBLE. Now, mind you, I tanked in vanilla on a warrior and I've tanked on a DK pretty solid as well, but for some reason my paly doesn't feel quite right.

My paly's name is Cyclonus, and he's on Azuremyst. Gear is kind of so-so.

Any help, tips, or suggestions you could give would be fucking awesome.

Thanks.

Tanking nowadays is all about awareness. Knowing when to move, and knowing when to use your Divine Protection and Shield of the Righteous to mitigate the big hits. Your gear looks alright for heroics, although you'll be tougher to heal than most tanks people are used to, but that'll fix quickly. Just make sure you're using Seal of Insight and keeping pulls at your own pace.

Also, at least get some cheap gems or enchants to throw on there.

Bizazedo

I hate how it was banned back in the day but then they made it legal... it's so cheap. 10 Paladins is crazy! The most I've ever dealt with was 8 elemental shamans. It was insane how cheap it is.

I dunno, I'd consider it fairly expensive.

/snicker
/guffaw

But, seriously, it's legal :(. It's annoying, but meh.

Finaika

Of course we don’t tend to give out patch release dates ahead of time, because things can slip, but right now we’re targeting the last week of February.

That's way too early. Didn't they learn anything? Most guilds haven't even killed Heroic Sha.

Is there a DPS spreadsheet that can optimize output during Challenge Modes? Shadowcraft has no such setting, didn't see one on ask mr robot (which I don't really trust anyway).

I'm mostly interested in the gemming breakdown since gear gets squashed down and I'd need to shuffle the calculations around which gear has more sockets at Challenge Mode ilvls instead of the primary/secondary stats present at natural ilvls.

Any Aussies/pacific folk getting the Error 114 when trying to log in?

I had a look and it seems quite a few people are affected. Bliz isnt being much help.

Rokam

There's a guy who streams on twitch who 40-boxes. He's Horde on Kil'Jaeden which is heavy alliance. He'll go camp Stormwind and their pvp vendors.

Loxley

There's a guy who streams on twitch who 40-boxes. He's Horde on Kil'Jaeden which is heavy alliance. He'll go camp Stormwind and their pvp vendors.

40-boxes? That guy pays $600 a month just to troll Alliance players? Oh to have that kind of expendable income...

Tarazet

Is there a DPS spreadsheet that can optimize output during Challenge Modes? Shadowcraft has no such setting, didn't see one on ask mr robot (which I don't really trust anyway).

I'm mostly interested in the gemming breakdown since gear gets squashed down and I'd need to shuffle the calculations around which gear has more sockets at Challenge Mode ilvls instead of the primary/secondary stats present at natural ilvls.

AFAIK the gems don't change at all, since they are all usable in 463 gear. Same for enchants. The only exception is that any Legendary gems will be deactivated.

Simulationcraft has a Challenge Mode setting.

McNei1y

Middle-tier raiders complaining about 5.2 coming in a couple weeks, lol :<

Hey, we have a right to complain you know!

But seriously, only thing I'm complaining about is that my guild had a lack of attendance the past two weeks... We could've been almost 12 heroic bosses deep come this week. Instead we're still 8. I had a feeling we could've downed Garalon and Lei Shi at least... so 10 :\

If that's true, Blizzard needs to shut that shit down or give free realm transfers for the Alliance there. That's some serious bullshit and I'd be pissed.

I had to give a weather briefing where I work because of the snow today in Oklahoma. Is it bad that all I kept thinking about was going home and tending my farm? I gotta harvest some pumpkins, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom