• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

They can also use Spears/Polearms, though there's a lack of good Strength Spears right now...

Polearms haven't been itemized for Strength for a while now, mostly because of Titan's Grip being incompatible.

Though they've said they want to fix the animations so I guess that's still possible.

Ultratech

Polearms haven't been itemized for Strength for a while now, mostly because of Titan's Grip being incompatible.

Though they've said they want to fix the animations so I guess that's still possible.

Yeah, but there is Bo-Ris, Horror in the Night coming in next patch, so there's hope yet!

Strength Polearms are a rarity nowadays, since there was only one in Wrath, none in Cata, and that account-bound one in Mists.
(This sorta doesn't include random-suffix weapons.) If only they'd fix Titan's Grip...

Entropia

No One Remembers
Yeah, but there is Bo-Ris, Horror in the Night coming in next patch, so there's hope yet!

Strength Polearms are a rarity nowadays, since there was only one in Wrath, none in Cata, and that account-bound one in Mists.
(This sorta doesn't include random-suffix weapons.) If only they'd fix Titan's Grip...

Yes! Blizzard is finally adding some actual variation in their itemization.

Example: http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=96602 - a 2 handed caster mace!! This can be used by Shaman, Pallies and Druids! ^_^

Tarazet

A pity it's poorly itemized for just about everything but resto shamans, but it's been a long time since there's been a 2H caster mace.

It's fine for Resto Druids as well. If you're wearing Heroic raid gear you don't always need Spirit on every piece, since each piece contributes more and the scaling doesn't change.

I did endless terrace again today. Got another belt. Something is seriously wrong with LFR... I think I've gotten 4 so far in a 4-5 week period. I can hardly stomach duplicate items. Sometimes you wait long enough just to get a drop. Then it's a duplicate. Basically it's a big FU to the face. I really miss the old LFR in cata. Bring on all the needers. I don't even care. At least loot dropped.

LadyRiven

I did endless terrace again today. Got another belt. Something is seriously wrong with LFR... I think I've gotten 4 so far in a 4-5 week period. I can hardly stomach duplicate items. Sometimes you wait long enough just to get a drop. Then it's a duplicate. Basically it's a big FU to the face. I really miss the old LFR in cata. Bring on all the needers. I don't even care. At least loot dropped.

I got like 4 pairs of set gloves from sha rolls.. god bless.

I got like 4 pairs of set gloves from sha rolls.. god bless.
I just dont believe it is true rng. I think something is screwed up with their code/formula whatever. Like the whole world boss mounts not dropping. True rng would be a variety of drops but people are getting the same thing over and over. Rng my butt lol.

Guys, something strage happened in my guild. We had an excellent mage. One day (last week) we noticed that he was not mentioned in one of the raid event in calendar (and i was pretty sure i invited him, because i always copy paste the previuous event, in which he was present). I tried to add him but... he disappeared from the guild!. Checked the guild log and there was no trace of 'playerX left the guild', checked the armory online and the character was absent. The last words he said were:" guys, for the next 10 days i won't be in raid, i have several exams". Is there a method or somewhat to suspend the account (maybe with parental control) and manage to make the character vanish somehow?
I am 100% sure that a deleted character makes 'playerX lef the guild' to appear because i tried myself.
Thanks in advance and sorry for the english.

Bizazedo

I just dont believe it is true rng. I think something is screwed up with their code/formula whatever. Like the whole world boss mounts not dropping. True rng would be a variety of drops but people are getting the same thing over and over. Rng my butt lol.

Well, a computer can never truly random, it's always based on a seed. So despite your usual tendencies in what you rage against, this time you could actually be right.

Problem is, since you can't see people get loot in LFR (which is dumb as hell, imo, psychologically speaking), it'd be even harder to detect. While I like everyone doing individual rolls, the hiding it is poor.

Separately,

Has anyone else noticed that Elegon's mount drop doesn't show on the dungeon journal anymore?

Does that mean coin rolls can't get it?

Robin64 said:
The KirinTor/Sunreaver vendors are selling Blood Spirits for 400 VP each on the PTR now.
Me likey.

That's good. I always thought the blood spirits being required for 496 gear was dumb if they weren't purchaseable or found in ways other than DE'ng raid loot.

Tarazet

That's good. I always thought the blood spirits being required for 496 gear was dumb if they weren't purchaseable or found in ways other than DE'ng raid loot.

It's fine that raid gear is only obtainable by raiding or buying from active raiders. Realistically, 400 VP for a single Blood Spirit is still an extremely poor conversion rate given how many you need to craft a single item, and the new cost of the 496 rep gear in 5.2. That change isn't going to help anyone to gear up faster.

Bizazedo

It's fine that raid gear is only obtainable by raiding or buying from active raiders. Realistically, 400 VP for a single Blood Spirit is still an extremely poor conversion rate given how many you need to craft a single item, and the new cost of the 496 rep gear in 5.2. That change isn't going to help anyone to gear up faster.

Theoretically, yes, but the problem is not enough time has really gone by for the blood spirits to really flood onto the AH for prices that the poor non-raiders are going to be able reasonably afford.

400 VP for a Blood Spirit is expensive, though, agreed, but it should still help the raiding guilds need of them expire quicker (they won't really spend their VP as much with no upgrade NPC + they still get them through DE) so they'll come to the AH faster and in more numbers.

Essentially, it's a way for Blizzard to try and force them to be available to the poor players faster without removing the need for the majority to come from raiders.

i.e., they're using economic theory.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Guys, something strage happened in my guild. We had an excellent mage. One day (last week) we noticed that he was not mentioned in one of the raid event in calendar (and i was pretty sure i invited him, because i always copy paste the previuous event, in which he was present). I tried to add him but... he disappeared from the guild!. Checked the guild log and there was no trace of 'playerX left the guild', checked the armory online and the character was absent. The last words he said were:" guys, for the next 10 days i won't be in raid, i have several exams". Is there a method or somewhat to suspend the account (maybe with parental control) and manage to make the character vanish somehow?
I am 100% sure that a deleted character makes 'playerX lef the guild' to appear because i tried myself.
Thanks in advance and sorry for the english.

Server transfer... :(

Yup. Server transfer basically wipes all traces of that character from the realm.

I've done Armory sleuthing several times to successfully track down errant server migrators based on their character specifics/gear. YMMV though as its much harder to track down people if they also performed name alterations and/or faction/race changes in the same go.

Tarazet

Theoretically, yes, but the problem is not enough time has really gone by for the blood spirits to really flood onto the AH for prices that the poor non-raiders are going to be able reasonably afford.

400 VP for a Blood Spirit is expensive, though, agreed, but it should still help the raiding guilds need of them expire quicker (they won't really spend their VP as much with no upgrade NPC + they still get them through DE) so they'll come to the AH faster and in more numbers.

Essentially, it's a way for Blizzard to try and force them to be available to the poor players faster without removing the need for the majority to come from raiders.

i.e., they're using economic theory.

I think you touched on what it will realistically do - raiders don't need to spend VP on gear, so if they're taking out the upgrade vendors, this will give them something else they can use it for. I hadn't considered that angle.

Well, a computer can never truly random, it's always based on a seed. So despite your usual tendencies in what you rage against, this time you could actually be right.

Problem is, since you can't see people get loot in LFR (which is dumb as hell, imo, psychologically speaking), it'd be even harder to detect. While I like everyone doing individual rolls, the hiding it is poor.

Separately,

Has anyone else noticed that Elegon's mount drop doesn't show on the dungeon journal anymore?

Does that mean coin rolls can't get it?

welp i got my first piece of tier today in LFR. Of course it didn't replace my blue legs, helm, or shouder, but my hands. oh well. better than nothing.

EDIT: Oh GOT A CLOAK! lol i think it's the third back piece ive gotten. soooo that's like 4 belts. 3 cloaks. 2-3 or gloves. no shoulder, helm, wrist, leg, ring, off-hand, neck. This system rocks!

So because of payday and this sale they have going, I just kinda sprung for the whole shebang on this WoW thing. I'm subbed and have though Pandaria now. I'm brand new in pretty much everything, but I'm having a lot of fun so far.
One question I have is if the questing and exploration is really as Laissez-fiare as it seems. I made a blood elf warlock cause that seemed cool, and I finished questing up to what seemed like the main-line (the elves joining the horde), but no one directed me on where to go next. Is that kinda how it plays out - I just wander and do what I feel like? Or is there a main quest line I just missed a step in?
Apart from that, I'm just trying to take my time and get my bearings. I keep getting bombarded with guild invites from people I've never met too, which is just doing wonders for my self esteem. :p Seriously though, any reason to hurry up and get in a guild, or should I wait on that till I'm more familiar?

Berordn

There's no main questline, though the Cataclysm revamp added a self-contained story arc to most zones. The Blood Elf starting area is actually more reminiscent of Vanilla style questing, and hasn't been touched since Burning Crusade.

There's a lot of immediate perks to joining a guild, like increased XP and reputation gains, but you can play without them and it's not a huge loss. People like to spam guildless players to increase their ranks, and there's probably no real community to those kinds of guilds, so you could just try the out until you get tired of them and then /gquit.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So because of payday and this sale they have going, I just kinda sprung for the whole shebang on this WoW thing. I'm subbed and have though Pandaria now. I'm brand new in pretty much everything, but I'm having a lot of fun so far.
One question I have is if the questing and exploration is really as Laissez-fiare as it seems. I made a blood elf warlock cause that seemed cool, and I finished questing up to what seemed like the main-line (the elves joining the horde), but no one directed me on where to go next. Is that kinda how it plays out - I just wander and do what I feel like? Or is there a main quest line I just missed a step in?
Apart from that, I'm just trying to take my time and get my bearings. I keep getting bombarded with guild invites from people I've never met too, which is just doing wonders for my self esteem. :p Seriously though, any reason to hurry up and get in a guild, or should I wait on that till I'm more familiar?

1) If you go to any of the Horde capital cities (Org, Thunder Bluff, Undercity, Silvermoon City) there'll be a Champion's Board which will give you quests to go to a particular zone and you'll do your quests there.

2) Guilds have various little perks that can help you out while leveling. Importantly for you they give a 10% Exp. increase from quests and killing mobs. This is if the guild is level 6 or higher. A lot of the guilds that are sending you invites probably aren't going to have any sort of "community", they're just there for those perks and benefits.

I kinda like the sound of that. Lack of a main-line kinda just let's me have free reign to do whatever, but it's nice to know that there's proper story material if I want it too. From what I've seen so far the game seems to be whatever you want it to be, which is nice. So far I'm just relaxing with some quests as a break from grad work, but it seems like it can get crazy deep and complex if I want that too. Good to know it's got that depth. :D
And I'll more than likely be frequenting the board with all sorts of questions, so seriously thanks for helping me out. It's a little overwhelming to just kinda jump in like this, but I can already tell I'm gonna have a blast.

Ultratech

I kinda like the sound of that. Lack of a main-line kinda just let's me have free reign to do whatever, but it's nice to know that there's proper story material if I want it too. From what I've seen so far the game seems to be whatever you want it to be, which is nice. So far I'm just relaxing with some quests as a break from grad work, but it seems like it can get crazy deep and complex if I want that too. Good to know it's got that depth. :D
And I'll more than likely be frequenting the board with all sorts of questions, so seriously thanks for helping me out. It's a little overwhelming to just kinda jump in like this, but I can already tell I'm gonna have a blast.

Pretty much. You could say that is there is a sorta of a story, but it's incredibly loose (mostly having to deal with everything after the Cataclysm). The Outland and Northrend areas (58-80) are stuck in a time bubble, so you're going back into time there, since Cata takes place after the events that transpired there.

But as Berordn mentioned, almost every zone has their self-contained little story arcs, like in the Eastern Plaguelands, there's a neat arc where you travel around with a Caravan recruiting people who give you buffs while in the area.

And as mentioned, every capital city has a Champion's Board that gives you lead-in quests to another zone, so make sure to check that every couple of levels or so (like every 5 levels for instance). The way leveling is set up now, it's very possible you'll outlevel a zone before you fully complete its quests (i.e. the quests you have turn green or gray).

And doing Dungeons will be helpful, since they usually have quests that give lots of EXP, Money, and good quality gear.

TheYanger

Just do whatever tickles your fancy, when you visit a capital city and read the board it directs you to level appropriate zones as noted, you can also look at the world map and it lists level ranges on all of the zones - if one tickles your fancy you can always just try going there (though there SHOULD be a quest from the board if it's in your level range). Keep in mind that the boards offer different quests on different continents, the board in Orgrimmar won't direct you to go to zones on the Eastern Kingdoms continent, and Undercity won't send you to Kalimdor zones. That's why I say if you feel like going to a volcano, look for it on the map and head to that continent, if you want to go up into the snowy foothills, hit that up. You have options, probably 2-4 at any given level range in fact, up until you hit 80 or so. If you're enjoying a zone's storyline or atmosphere and don't mind not getting xp for some of it, stay and finish it out even when it turns grey imo. Like you've already deduced the game is what you make of it, do something that you find fun, if it stops being fun do something else.

Berordn

Void storage needs to be way bigger... Fuck make it expensive (10k?) but give us the option of like doubling it.

I feel like they've mentioned this at least once. It seems like they're having trouble dealing with inventory on a grander scale, though.

Naka

Void storage needs to be way bigger... Fuck make it expensive (10k?) but give us the option of like doubling it.

Void storage has some really bizarre limitations on what you can put in it as well. For some reason I can't seem to out any gear that's ilevel 463 or higher. Is that a known thing?

Berordn

Void storage has some really bizarre limitations on what you can put in it as well. For some reason I can't seem to out any gear that's ilevel 463 or higher. Is that a known thing?

I've put a couple 476 items in and out of it, so... no. What specifically?

Rokam

I can't put any current content gear in, not sure what's up.

McNei1y

So I just ran into a problem...

My guild (Raid Schedule: Tues-Thurs; 9-12pm EST) just transferred to a new, populated horde server...

When we arrived, supposedly the point was to turn our raid times to 4 hours a night Tues, Weds, and Thurs. I told my IRL friend (somehow he's an officer), and my other friend (another officer) that I don't want to sit at my computer for 4 hours a night for three nights. I want to raid, but I think even 3 hours a night is too long. Plus, it takes me an hour to almost two hours a day to do dailies. I think raiding four hours a night and doing the dailies I need to (4+2) would be WAAAAAY to much. I only have so much time after work to play wow. I have 6-7 hours of free time... I don't want to dedicate 5-6 of those hours to wow.

I have my input and I hope they agree but I called all of the officers out how they "supposedly" discussed this with everyone when we transferred. Fuck that. I don't want to raid for four hours for three nights. I love this game but not enough to spend 80% of my free time on it. I kind of hope they replace me. I'm one of the most attended members of the guild so replacing me is a slap in the face. I think doing that would be fun so I can call them out and just never deal with it again.

Sarcasm

For a druid what is the stat priority for tanking? I took a huge break and kind want to play every now and than..so out of the loop.

Like what stats am I looking for?

Berordn

Stamina/Agility out the wazoo, enough hit and expertise until you feel comfortable with your rage generation, and enough haste and crit to keep it rolling smoothly. Mastery and dodge provide passive mitigation and aren't all that strong, but still worth having.

Trickster

So I just ran into a problem...

My guild (Raid Schedule: Tues-Thurs; 9-12pm EST) just transferred to a new, populated horde server...

When we arrived, supposedly the point was to turn our raid times to 4 hours a night Tues, Weds, and Thurs. I told my IRL friend (somehow he's an officer), and my other friend (another officer) that I don't want to sit at my computer for 4 hours a night for three nights. I want to raid, but I think even 3 hours a night is too long. Plus, it takes me an hour to almost two hours a day to do dailies. I think raiding four hours a night and doing the dailies I need to (4+2) would be WAAAAAY to much. I only have so much time after work to play wow. I have 6-7 hours of free time... I don't want to dedicate 5-6 of those hours to wow.

I have my input and I hope they agree but I called all of the officers out how they "supposedly" discussed this with everyone when we transferred. Fuck that. I don't want to raid for four hours for three nights. I love this game but not enough to spend 80% of my free time on it. I kind of hope they replace me. I'm one of the most attended members of the guild so replacing me is a slap in the face. I think doing that would be fun so I can call them out and just never deal with it again.

My guild kinda did the same thing, all of a sudden we had a ton of new people in the guild, apparently we merged with 1 or 2 other guilds, in order to be able to do 25 man rather than 10 man. Must've been something officers decided on their own. Wasn't really an issue for me since I'd much rather raid 25 man though. And it turned out very well, new players were a friendly bunch that were good players.

A few weeks after the merge. The officers then all of a sudden decided that we should 4 days instead of 3. Something I initially didn't feel that I had time or interest in. But I kept playing for a while, and I pretty quickly got used to the 4 raid/week schedule.

So yeah, I've tried something similar to you, and definitely think it can be frustrating to have officers decide something without running it by the rest of the guild first. But in my case, I feel like it turned out fine. I'd suggest you at least try it out first.

The thing I DON'T get about your post, is that you say you can spend almost 2 hours doing dailies, every day(?). How is that even possible. Unless you're doing every single daily for every faction. Which doesn't really make sense to me at all, since you should have been exalted with all of them for ages if you did that since MoP released.

If you just do it for the coins, couldn't you do enough dailies by spending 15-20 minutes a day, doing dailies?

For those of you raiders who have defeated Amber Shaper on normal, how did you do it?

We've been banging our heads against this for three weeks now and we still haven't gotten to phase 3. If there's some secret sauce you can share, please do!

Trickster

For those of you raiders who have defeated Amber Shaper on normal, how did you do it?

We've been banging our heads against this for three weeks now and we still haven't gotten to phase 3. If there's some secret sauce you can share, please do!

Phase 1 - Nuke boss, kill adds and get people out of the construct.

Phase 2 - Kill big guy, kill adds and get people out of the construct.

Phase 3 - Nuke boss, kill adds and let people stay in construct to stack debuff on boss.

It would help to know what part you guys are failing on though.

So I seriously couldn't not post in here about this. I'm pretty sure this is all old news to all you vets, but I just completed the string of quests that introduced me to the legend that is Kingslayer Orkus and his bff Kasha. When it started I laughed, but by the end bro-tears of manliness were shed. If this string is indicative of the overall quest quality, I think I'm going to have even more fun than I'd thought.
Gonna go pour one out for the hero of the Horde.

Tarazet

For a druid what is the stat priority for tanking? I took a huge break and kind want to play every now and than..so out of the loop.

Like what stats am I looking for?

I've had good results using this stat priority:

Stam > Hit/Exp 7.5% cap > Crit > Agi > Dodge > Haste > Mastery

You swim in rage running this build. And not only do you have great uptime on Savage Defense, Frenzied Regen and the Tooth & Claw debuff, which smooths out your damage intake, but you do insane damage. I once topped the meters on an LFR Feng, and I was tanking him.

As far as gemming, I will take any of the slot bonuses that are +Stam, +Crit, +Agi. You just generally want more of all of this. The gems I use are +320 Crit for yellow, +Crit/Stam green gem for blue, +Exp/Stam purple gem for red.

Enchants are mostly DPS type. Agi and Crit, except for the bracers where I run the +750 Stam enchant from LW.

McNei1y

My guild kinda did the same thing, all of a sudden we had a ton of new people in the guild, apparently we merged with 1 or 2 other guilds, in order to be able to do 25 man rather than 10 man. Must've been something officers decided on their own. Wasn't really an issue for me since I'd much rather raid 25 man though. And it turned out very well, new players were a friendly bunch that were good players.
A few weeks after the merge. The officers then all of a sudden decided that we should 4 days instead of 3. Something I initially didn't feel that I had time or interest in. But I kept playing for a while, and I pretty quickly got used to the 4 raid/week schedule.

So yeah, I've tried something similar to you, and definitely think it can be frustrating to have officers decide something without running it by the rest of the guild first. But in my case, I feel like it turned out fine. I'd suggest you at least try it out first.

The thing I DON'T get about your post, is that you say you can spend almost 2 hours doing dailies, every day(?). How is that even possible. Unless you're doing every single daily for every faction. Which doesn't really make sense to me at all, since you should have been exalted with all of them for ages if you did that since MoP released.

If you just do it for the coins, couldn't you do enough dailies by spending 15-20 minutes a day, doing dailies?

It was an exaggeration since the only dailies I do is GL and DO but while I'm doing them, I usually run into some pvp problems which extend the time I spend on them. I only do the dailies for coins.

I usually do dailies before raids but if we extended the time then I would have to do them at an even earlier time. I just don't want to put so many hours into the game. A few years back, I was in a hardcore raiding guild and we didn't even spend this much time on raids.
Lol, and I mean hours wise. We would normally have an extra day or randomly do something on a saturday.

gotoadgo

Going to guess that you're having either the monstrosity explode or your own raiders explode if you're failing at phase 2.
You need to make sure that the players who get construct are
a) interrupting their own explosion with 2
b) interrupting the monstrosities explosion with 1 when it happens.

They should be hitting the monstrosity when they can, but if it's about to explode they need to stop so the ability on number 1(amber strike? can't remember the name) is NOT on cooldown. Once they interrupt one explosion from the monstrosity they should be broken out of the construct. From there it should be easy.

Sarcasm

I've had good results using this stat priority:

Stam > Hit/Exp 7.5% cap > Crit > Agi > Dodge > Haste > Mastery

You swim in rage running this build. And not only do you have great uptime on Savage Defense, Frenzied Regen and the Tooth & Claw debuff, which smooths out your damage intake, but you do insane damage. I once topped the meters on an LFR Feng, and I was tanking him.

As far as gemming, I will take any of the slot bonuses that are +Stam, +Crit, +Agi. You just generally want more of all of this. The gems I use are +320 Crit for yellow, +Crit/Stam green gem for blue, +Exp/Stam purple gem for red.

Enchants are mostly DPS type. Agi and Crit, except for the bracers where I run the +750 Stam enchant from LW.

Thanks! May I see your armory? I can post mine.
I feel stupid

And here is my character.

lordmrw

So I seriously couldn't not post in here about this. I'm pretty sure this is all old news to all you vets, but I just completed the string of quests that introduced me to the legend that is Kingslayer Orkus and his bff Kasha. When it started I laughed, but by the end bro-tears of manliness were shed. If this string is indicative of the overall quest quality, I think I'm going to have even more fun than I'd thought.
Gonna go pour one out for the hero of the Horde.

there are many quest lines that are hilarious like that, like the previously mentioned Eastern Plaguelands. If I'm remembering it right there are some funny moments in the Stonetalon Mountains as well.

FYC

Banned
I've finished all the questlines in Jade Forest and Valley of the Four Winds, now onto Krasarang Wilds.

Pandaria is great so far.

Class question here, but when I started out I decided to choose demonology for my Warlock, but the more I hear people talk around game the more I think I might be better served swapping to affliction. Is that a swap I'm better served making sooner rather than later, or am I good to stick with demonology if it's working for me? I just don't want to stick with and get used to a set of skills that wont really be useful later in the game.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Demo is fine. If you like it, stick with it.

Robin64

I've been doing low level tanking with my girlfriend who made a healer. I went for a prot warrior while she went as resto shaman. We started at 15 and have been doing dungeons exclusively to 30 so far. No heirlooms, it's already stupidly quick.

Firstly, I have to say, DPS players are absolute dicks. And this is from someone who mains DPS. I've lost count of the number of times people have not followed me and my healer and instead gone their own way and THEN yelled and cursed at me for not saving them. I thought "follow the tank" was a basic rule everyone knew.

A prime example is Gnomeregan. At the start, you grab a chute and jump down. Three of us did this, after I even said in chat this is what we were doing, while two DPS ran around the top. And died. Then swore at me for being a crap tank. It's gotten to the point where we no longer if a DPS has done something completely stupid that will lead to their death.

Secondly, gearing a resto shaman has been HORRIBLE. There's practically no leather healer gear at low levels. Every time leather drops, it's dripping with agility. The only option has been to roll against mages, warlocks and priests and then, once again, get yelled at.

Hope things get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom