• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

I've been doing low level tanking with my girlfriend who made a healer. I went for a prot warrior while she went as resto shaman. We started at 15 and have been doing dungeons exclusively to 30 so far. No heirlooms, it's already stupidly quick.

Firstly, I have to say, DPS players are absolute dicks. And this is from someone who mains DPS. I've lost count of the number of times people have not followed me and my healer and instead gone their own way and THEN yelled and cursed at me for not saving them. I thought "follow the tank" was a basic rule everyone knew.

A prime example is Gnomeregan. At the start, you grab a chute and jump down. Three of us did this, after I even said in chat this is what we were doing, while two DPS ran around the top. And died. Then swore at me for being a crap tank. It's gotten to the point where we no longer if a DPS has done something completely stupid that will lead to their death.

Secondly, gearing a resto shaman has been HORRIBLE. There's practically no leather healer gear at low levels. Every time leather drops, it's dripping with agility. The only option has been to roll against mages, warlocks and priests and then, once again, get yelled at.

Hope things get better.

It does when the shaman gets to wear mail armour.

Class question here, but when I started out I decided to choose demonology for my Warlock, but the more I hear people talk around game the more I think I might be better served swapping to affliction. Is that a swap I'm better served making sooner rather than later, or am I good to stick with demonology if it's working for me? I just don't want to stick with and get used to a set of skills that wont really be useful later in the game.

Don't know what level you are but you get dual talents. Meaning you get two specs that you can switch between out of combat and such.

Don't know what level you are but you get dual talents. Meaning you get two specs that you can switch between out of combat and such.

That's exceptional news. I just hit 30 on my first character, so I think I actually dual class now. Why settle for one when you can have both? I love it. The more I dig, the more I'm really loving what this game has to offer. I'm used to other online games like GW that don't really offer this kind of freedom and flexibility.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
there are many quest lines that are hilarious like that, like the previously mentioned Eastern Plaguelands. If I'm remembering it right there are some funny moments in the Stonetalon Mountains as well.

Yesterday, i did the Jade Forest Horde quest line where you take control of a monkey, orc and undead for the first time. The lines were so stupid i kept smiling the whole time. That monkey is as hilarious as the dwarf from the Alliance version of that quest line.

FYC

Banned
Yesterday, i did the Jade Forest Horde quest line where you take control of a monkey, orc and undead for the first time. The lines were so stupid i kept smiling the whole time. That monkey is as hilarious as the dwarf from the Alliance version of that quest line.

Haha, yes! That one was awesome.

ZenaxPure

It's probably a long ways off for you but depending on what you choose to do with your game time at max level your spec won't matter anyway. Not only are all the specs in the game currently within the same ballpark of usefulness but the game is designed so that the only time you really absolutely need to min/max, go with specific stats, and a specific spec is when you are doing the very cutting edge stuff like heroic raids and equivalent pvp. Normal raiding, Raidfinder (easier, puggable version of those raids), battlegrounds, dailies, scenarios, etc. etc. you can get by just doing what you want to do.

Basically, all 3 of your specs are perfectly fine and people saying go affliction are probably doing so because that is currently the popular spec for most cutting edge warlocks (at least for pve, dunno jack shit about pvp). My warlock is max level and I don't even have an affliction spec on him, I don't enjoy it much, he is Destro/Demo.

That's exceptional news. I just hit 30 on my first character, so I think I actually dual class now. Why settle for one when you can have both? I love it. The more I dig, the more I'm really loving what this game has to offer. I'm used to other online games like GW that don't really offer this kind of freedom and flexibility.

It only gets better as you go really, this expansion has gone a long ways to adding a ton of different stuff to do in the game and offers something for pretty much everyone. It actually kinda scares me thinking of a first time player like yourself really, thinking of all the stuff in the game you haven't seen (quests, dungeons, all the old raids, and so much more) sounds really overwhelming.

Tarazet

I've been doing low level tanking with my girlfriend who made a healer. I went for a prot warrior while she went as resto shaman. We started at 15 and have been doing dungeons exclusively to 30 so far. No heirlooms, it's already stupidly quick.

Firstly, I have to say, DPS players are absolute dicks. And this is from someone who mains DPS. I've lost count of the number of times people have not followed me and my healer and instead gone their own way and THEN yelled and cursed at me for not saving them. I thought "follow the tank" was a basic rule everyone knew.

A prime example is Gnomeregan. At the start, you grab a chute and jump down. Three of us did this, after I even said in chat this is what we were doing, while two DPS ran around the top. And died. Then swore at me for being a crap tank. It's gotten to the point where we no longer if a DPS has done something completely stupid that will lead to their death.

Secondly, gearing a resto shaman has been HORRIBLE. There's practically no leather healer gear at low levels. Every time leather drops, it's dripping with agility. The only option has been to roll against mages, warlocks and priests and then, once again, get yelled at.

Hope things get better.

Int Leather/Mail wasn't really a thing in Classic. Both Druids and Shamans were jack-of-all-trades classes and wore all stat gear, until you started getting into tier gear (which was all itemized for healing). Just roll on cloth and ignore anyone who gripes at you, until you start running BC dungeons at 60.

It only gets better as you go really, this expansion has gone a long ways to adding a ton of different stuff to do in the game and offers something for pretty much everyone. It actually kinda scares me thinking of a first time player like yourself really, thinking of all the stuff in the game you haven't seen (quests, dungeons, all the old raids, and so much more) sounds really overwhelming.

It is a little overwhelming actually, but that only kinda adds to the appeal for me. It's nice knowing that there's an insanely deep well of experience to draw from, and that I'll be discovering brand new things for quite some time. Makes the blow easier on my wallet too, haha. But yeah one of the things I'm most looking forward to is getting familiar with the game and my class so I can see what raids are like. They sound like a blast, and from what little I've seen of them, seem incredibly fun. My only regret is that I waited this long to play.

Tamanon

Banned
Int Leather/Mail wasn't really a thing in Classic. Both Druids and Shamans were jack-of-all-trades classes and wore all stat gear, until you started getting into tier gear (which was all itemized for healing). Just roll on cloth and ignore anyone who gripes at you, until you start running BC dungeons at 60.

Also, I've found those mages and warlocks in leveling dungeons will happily roll on Spirit caster gear too, even though it's designed for healers.

Tarazet

It is a little overwhelming actually, but that only kinda adds to the appeal for me. It's nice knowing that there's an insanely deep well of experience to draw from, and that I'll be discovering brand new things for quite some time. Makes the blow easier on my wallet too, haha. But yeah one of the things I'm most looking forward to is getting familiar with the game and my class so I can see what raids are like. They sound like a blast, and from what little I've seen of them, seem incredibly fun. My only regret is that I waited this long to play.

It was an interesting experience coming into the game blind during the twilight of Cata and gradually easing into things to the point where I was clearing HoTs, then using the same character to play Pandaria during launch week and be among the first batch of 90's. There was so much to learn and accomplish.. and then I just ran out of it. I have all the reps at Exalted, epic gear in every slot, got the Agi gem but can't get the PvP wins for the meta.

I've been checking out the new expansion for the last week since it's on sale deciding on whether I want to resub or not. So far I'm really liking this expansion, Monk's especially, but damn do I hate the new "talent tree". I like the ability to switch things up on the fly when out of combat and to change up tactics but that about where the good qualities for it end. It's almost as if they didn't think of leveling at all when they thought up this change. Someimes going 3-4 levels with nothing to show for it is a complete drag and can sometimes make it seem like there is nothing to look forward to.

Sure points in the old talent tree weren't the best but at least you felt like you were working toward something and know you are building toward that with every level. They definitely did a better job of incorporating it at higher levels with you being able to change on the fly but there should be some kind of middle ground.

Pet battles are pretty fun as well. The day I started playing around with it I think I spent more time with it than anything else. Definitely a fun addition, made me glad to have the Marine Merlock.

Berordn

Also, I've found those mages and warlocks in leveling dungeons will happily roll on Spirit caster gear too, even though it's designed for healers.

Eh, technically it's not designed for healers, since both Mages and Warlocks had use for Spirit back in the day. It's part of the reason why there's so much spirit cloth in Vanilla, BC and Wrath.

ZenaxPure

Eh, technically it's not designed for healers, since both Mages and Warlocks had use for Spirit back in the day. It's part of the reason why there's so much spirit cloth in Vanilla, BC and Wrath.

Pretty much, never forget glyph of lifetap! I want to say mages had something silly where spirit benefited them too but I honestly can't remember anymore.

Someimes going 3-4 levels with nothing to show for it is a complete drag and can sometimes make it seem like there is nothing to look forward to.

Even though I think the talent tree change is for the better overall I certainly know how you feel here, when I was leveling my monk it would suck to gain multiple levels in a row where you got nothing, no talent, no new skills, or anything. It would be nice if there was something else as well but I can't really think of anything that wouldn't require drastic changes to the game.

Bisnic

Pretty much, never forget glyph of lifetap! I want to say mages had something silly where spirit benefited them too but I honestly can't remember anymore.

I think Molten Armor used to work with spirit, where the more spirit you had, the more crit % you got from it.

Berordn

I think Molten Armor used to work with spirit, where the more spirit you had, the more crit % you got from it.

There was that, and I remember casters in general just needing spirit because mana actually was a concern for DPS too. But I could just be losing my memory, it was ages ago.

Tarazet

There was that, and I remember casters in general just needing spirit because mana actually was a concern for DPS too. But I could just be losing my memory, it was ages ago.

They didn't call them OOMkins for nothin'. Spirit cloth was the best most Druids could do. Still is in some cases, at lower levels. And the 80 twink cloth pieces are pretty rockin' for Moonkins.

What should my spell rotation be for a Demonology Warlock at level 46?

Right now for AOE I put Corruption on everyone, then Hand of Gul’dan and Drain Life while keeping the aforementioned spells active.

For single target DPS, it's basically the same but without Drain Life and instead I use Shadowbolt to build Demonic Fury until it's at 100% then I turn into a demon and use Doom and Touch of Chaos until they're dead.

I have several other spells but I never use them and feel like I'm doing something wrong. Internet says I should use Soul Fire but when, and why?

ZenaxPure

Soulfire is used when molten core procs, dunno if you have it at that level or not. It's also your execute range spell, I forget the exact % but basically when the enemy is low enough it gives you infinite molten core procs.

For leveling I wouldn't really say it's a much needed spell though.

Sciz

Class question here, but when I started out I decided to choose demonology for my Warlock, but the more I hear people talk around game the more I think I might be better served swapping to affliction. Is that a swap I'm better served making sooner rather than later, or am I good to stick with demonology if it's working for me? I just don't want to stick with and get used to a set of skills that wont really be useful later in the game.

Play what you like. Most of what you need to know is applicable for every spec in the game, and most of the rest is at least shared between every other spec in that role. There's relatively little you'll pick up that's truly unique to a single spec, and even then, knowing the specifics that another spec is capable of makes you a better team player.

Ultratech

Highly unlikely, since they're still testing on the PTR. Plus no PVP season 2-week notice. Probably just updating Battle.net stuff or some 5.2 server stuff.

Yeah, looks like SC2 and D3 are going down for the 12 hours as well, so something with Battle.net I suppose.

I feel like they've mentioned this at least once. It seems like they're having trouble dealing with inventory on a grander scale, though.

Well when you consider that the backpack is apparently fucking hard-coded...

Really need a questline (to make it fun ofc, like green fire, though not necessarily as expansive) that includes a gold sink (10k?) to upgrade it. Not sure if you'd level-limit the upgrade though. 90s only? Not sure if that would be the right choice.

lordmrw

read the blue post about extra void storage and it baffles me that they are so against letting players store extra gear for some reason. People actually want a reason to go back and do old content and they steadfastly refuse to accomodate them. Why? It makes no sense. Hell just make 32 or 34 slot bags available for fuck's sake. Even i have had to slow down on collecting gear because I only have the 45 personal bag spaces left

Entropia

No One Remembers
Well when you consider that the backpack is apparently fucking hard-coded...

Really need a questline (to make it fun ofc, like green fire, though not necessarily as expansive) that includes a gold sink (10k?) to upgrade it. Not sure if you'd level-limit the upgrade though. 90s only? Not sure if that would be the right choice.

Yeah, it's pretty sad.

What they should (or should have) do(ne) is at every exp. level cap have a quest or something to upgrade it by 2-4 slots. 16->18 (60)->20(70)->22(80)->24(85)->26(90)

Entropia

No One Remembers
BLIZZCON!!!!!!

http://us.battle.net//blizzcon/en/blog/8713023/BlizzCon_2013_Storms_Anaheim_November_8-9-2_19_2013

BLIZZCON!!!!!! The seventh BlizzCon is coming to the Anaheim Convention Center Friday, November 8 and Saturday, November 9, 2013. Those who join us for this epic community gathering will experience two solid days of hands-on time with the latest Blizzard games, in-depth developer discussion panels, intense eSports action featuring some of the top players in the world, and a variety of other exciting activities and events. Further details on the show, including ticket pricing and availability, will be posted here on BlizzCon.com at a later date. In the meantime, check out the press release for more info and prepare to help us blow Anaheim's mind.

As far as new stuff goes, I am really only expecting an announcement of a Diablo III expansion or some more info on Blizzard All Stars if its not already out by then.

Do you guys expect anything more?

With the year off I'm kind of expecting to see something on Titan. Not really much but maybe a formal announcement of some sort.

Hopefully we get some info on a D3 expansion and some changes to come.

Entropia

No One Remembers
As far as new stuff goes, I am really only expecting an announcement of a Diablo III expansion or some more info on Blizzard All Stars if its not already out by then.

Do you guys expect anything more?

1) MoP will be over a year old, that's generally when they announce a new expansion.
2) A D3 expansion wouldn't surprise me
3) Blizzard All-Stars stuff should be there as well.

Bisnic

Blizzcon is a little late this year... :( Oh well, hoping for news of WoW and D3 next expansions and Titan. How long have they been keeping that game hidden from us? I'm surprised there wasn't a single leak yet. That Penny Arcade comic from a few years ago about Blizzard employees having a bomb in their head if they say anything seems to ring true.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Blizzcon is a little late this year... :( Oh well, hoping for news of WoW and D3 next expansions and Titan. How long have they been keeping that game hidden from us? I'm surprised there wasn't a single leak yet. That Penny Arcade comic from a few years ago about Blizzard employees having a bomb in their head if they say anything seems to ring true.

Yeah it's usually in October. Oh well, this just gives another month to save up money :p

Robin64

read the blue post about extra void storage and it baffles me that they are so against letting players store extra gear for some reason. People actually want a reason to go back and do old content and they steadfastly refuse to accomodate them. Why? It makes no sense. Hell just make 32 or 34 slot bags available for fuck's sake. Even i have had to slow down on collecting gear because I only have the 45 personal bag spaces left

Because more storage space is a bad solution to the problem. They would rather look for ways to make us just need less storage in general. For example, a proper tabard drop down system should be showing up at some point. They also expressed interest in dealing with the various toys (such as puntable marmot) in different ways.

ZenaxPure

I have to imagine our third raid tier will be out by then so I wouldn't be surprised if the talk was on the next expansion either, unless they plan to go 4 tiers this time instead of 3 which I would be ok with as well
actually I'd prefer it

Berordn

I have to imagine our third raid tier will be out by then so I wouldn't be surprised if the talk was on the next expansion either, unless they plan to go 4 tiers this time instead of 3 which I would be ok with as well
actually I'd prefer it

The way Ra-Den talks makes it sound like we're getting a descent into madness raid before Siege of Org. If Garrosh ends up trying to revive an old god it'd be a good turning point for everyone to team up against him at least.

But they'll probably announce an expansion at Blizzcon anyway, since MoP will be a year old at that point.

RPGCrazied

I have a technical question. I don't know if its my CPU or GPU, but in certain instances my FPS tanks. Places like Sha of Anger, AV and Isle of Conquest(when huge battles going on), sometimes my FPS dips 12-13. Pretty unplayable.

Thoughts?

This is my PC

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
Processor and Graphics AMD Phenom™ II X6 1090T + ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 1GB
Memory 6GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMS

Sarcasm

I have a technical question. I don't know if its my CPU or GPU, but in certain instances my FPS tanks. Places like Sha of Anger, AV and Isle of Conquest(when huge battles going on), sometimes my FPS dips 12-13. Pretty unplayable.

Thoughts?

This is my PC

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
Processor and Graphics AMD Phenom™ II X6 1090T + ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 1GB
Memory 6GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMS

What is your settings ingame? You should have steady FPS..also what speed if your CPU? Are you using the 64 bit wow?

McNei1y

What event is the one in July/August where a bunch of blizzard info is released? I remember Cataclysm being announced in huge amounts a few years back during the summer months.

RPGCrazied

What is your settings ingame? You should have steady FPS..also what speed if your CPU? Are you using the 64 bit wow?

1600x1200
4x multisampling
16x AF

Every thing is set to ultra except liquid and shadow detail. Actually I'm using the 32-bit client. I guess that is the issue? I can't use enbseries on the 64-bit client. I like the crazy ass bloom. I can try without I guess.

My CPU is like 3.2, 6 cores.

Those times listed above are the only times my FPS is shit.

ZenaxPure

The way Ra-Den talks makes it sound like we're getting a descent into madness raid before Siege of Org. If Garrosh ends up trying to revive an old god it'd be a good turning point for everyone to team up against him at least.

That sounds pretty awesome to me
would hold up my theory every odd numbered game gets an old god fight :p. Really though c'thun and yogg are my 2 favorite fights in the game speaking from a mechanics point of view, I would kill for another boss in that specific style.

Because more storage space is a bad solution to the problem. They would rather look for ways to make us just need less storage in general. For example, a proper tabard drop down system should be showing up at some point. They also expressed interest in dealing with the various toys (such as puntable marmot) in different ways.
I like how storage has already been an issue for some time and then, with the addition of transmog, what is blizz doing a lot of in MoP? Handing out a lot of random toy crap that i don't have room for. Bravo, blizzard. Bravo. I've been deleting my shit. And the tabard problem should have been addressed years ago. They have utterly failed and dropped the ball on the whole storage issue. I have zero room for anything. If i want to save something new, I have to delete or vendor something else.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's all but assured at this point.

That or he flies away after being defeated through the power of METZEN PLOT MAGIC™ and shows up later as the Lich King or something.
This made me burst out of laughter :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom