• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenaxPure

I'd love it frankly if we went back to things like the 45 minute Baron run or Shattered Halls executioner run. Challenge Modes are the best things in the game right now, hands down. The rewards are a little thin, which is what keeps them from being as amazing as they could be. This is the content I want from Blizzard, not more progress bars to fill up via grinding.

And those are there for you, and I am sure more challenge mode dungeons will be added in the future, but, plenty of people (myself included) enjoy mindless grinding when we don't feel like doing something else. There is nothing wrong with options, hell, especially considering I HIGHLY doubt challenge mode dungeons are even that popular, and not for a lack of rewards, a lot of people just aren't capable or don't like them.

strafer

Kalec

11020_10151411002169034_1569439440_n.jpg

Bizazedo

And those are there for you, and I am sure more challenge mode dungeons will be added in the future, but, plenty of people (myself included) enjoy mindless grinding when we don't feel like doing something else. There is nothing wrong with options, hell, especially considering I HIGHLY doubt challenge mode dungeons are even that popular, and not for a lack of rewards, a lot of people just aren't capable or don't like them.

Actually, I think the lack of rewards is a big thing. Well, that and they boil down to speed runs as opposed to just CAN YOU DO THIS?! like the 5-man lower blackrock spire used to be.

I mean, look at dailies. Get into a raiding guild and they become a lot less important to do, yet you see constant streams of how they're "necessary" and OCD twitching.

A lot of that is due to rewards for what is essentially brainless and requiring of no skill, just time.

The "real" problem (it's not a real problem, but..) is that the game has such a low barrier of entry versus what it had in vanilla that anything hard + "required" is viewed as anathema. The raids themselves, the hardest level of content with meaningful rewards, even have a built in wellfare epic system of their own with LFR's that people can look past the fact that they're inferior.

And they still bitch about drop rates.

That's what the game is now. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, it's not like it pretends to be otherwise, it just is.

The "real" problem (it's not a real problem, but..) is that the game has such a low barrier of entry versus what it had in vanilla that anything hard + "required" is viewed as anathema. The raids themselves, the hardest level of content with meaningful rewards, even have a built in wellfare epic system of their own with LFR's that people can look past the fact that they're inferior.

I would be very much down for 5-man "super heroics" with some extra ilvl. Although running heroics in ~12 minutes right now keeps the valor flowing pretty easily...

Rokam

Saw a post where someone was whining about people in Heroic raid gear doing LFR, and he wants Blizzard to put a cap on ilvl in LFR. What... the... fuck? I hope to god it was an extremely elaborate troll, but I fear it wasn't.

Saw a post where someone was whining about people in Heroic raid gear doing LFR, and he wants Blizzard to put a cap on ilvl in LFR. What... the... fuck? I hope to god it was an extremely elaborate troll, but I fear it wasn't.

There is quite a lot of stupid in the game. And childish impatience. And a staggering amount of cognitive dissonance. My money would be on him being an asshole and not a troll.

On that note, I'm really glad they disabled the "2/6 bosses down" in the LFR pop screen. So much quicker now to get through.

Berordn

Being mad about heroic geared raiders in LFR made sense back when we were competing for loot, but now it's just a little silly.

Tarazet

Yes, I hate disc priests pulling 100k hps, tanks that are unkillable, and DPS that do more for the raid than 10 undergeared derps.

TheContact

Wow so after like 2 months of sitting at the Valor cap because I'm a monk healer and grinding rep is a pain, I just find out you can use the Valor to upgrade your gear =O

I'm having such a problem getting to 470 ilvl to queue for the higher tier of raids. I'm the unluckiest person ever when it comes to raiding, literally 2 months of LFRing once a week has netted me 0 epics.

Tarazet

I don't think I'll be upgrading any more of my gear before 5.2. 1500 points would go a lot further in terms of new 522 Valor gear. I could upgrade my Sha-Touched dagger in addition to the staff I've got, but in the end, I'm not as good at Resto or Moonkin as I am at Feral and Guardian. (Understandably, as they're harder to play.) So, I'll just say balls to healing for the moment and sharpen my claws.

I've got two distinct sets now - the bear set for Stamina and Crit, and cat set for Agility and Mastery. Both are ilvl 487, and there's little overlap besides the weapon and jewelry. So I can go either way. The new valor pieces seem to be well itemized for Feral, not as much for Guardian.

Ultratech

I don't think I'll be upgrading any more of my gear before 5.2. 1500 points would go a lot further in terms of new 522 Valor gear. I could upgrade my Sha-Touched dagger in addition to the staff I've got, but in the end, I'm not as good at Resto or Moonkin as I am at Feral and Guardian. (Understandably, as they're harder to play.) So, I'll just say balls to healing for the moment and sharpen my claws.

I've got two distinct sets now - the bear set for Stamina and Crit, and cat set for Agility and Mastery. Both are ilvl 487, and there's little overlap besides the weapon and jewelry. So I can go either way. The new valor pieces seem to be well itemized for Feral, not as much for Guardian.

Yeah, I'm kinda stuck at the same point on my Hunter now.

I can stand to upgrade my Sha Gun, but anything else beyond that will likely be replaced in short order come next patch.
(The Sha Gun will eventually get replaced too, but I expect that to take longer and such.)

If I could get a sha touched weapon to drop before the patch, i'd upgrade it. Sadly, it probably won't happen.

RPGCrazied

Been having fun the last few days running old raids with a hunter friend. Raids I never experienced, like sunwell plateau. Kil'Jedan intro and exit scenes must be seen in game, its so cool. Also did AQ40, mostly by myself except for Visudis, Twin Emps and C'thun. Hunter in my guild came and help finish it all.

FYC

Banned
Grats!

Now do dailies and heroics to get VP and gear then get into LFR! :)

Thank you!

Which rep. should I be focusing on? I've already done all the dailies for Klaxxi and Golden Lotus, and I got the starting quests for Lorewalker + Cloud Serpent. I heard those two don't really offer anything great outside of a sweet-ass mount, but I might be remembering incorrectly.

Also, scenarios are awesome! Really great addition.

ZenaxPure

Thank you!

Which rep. should I be focusing on? I've already done all the dailies for Klaxxi and Golden Lotus, and I got the starting quests for Lorewalker + Cloud Serpent. I heard those two don't really offer anything great outside of a sweet-ass mount, but I might be remembering incorrectly.

Also, scenarios are awesome! Really great addition.

The reps with gear is a gradual progression. All you can really do right now is Lotus, Klaxxi, and your faction's 5.1 rep, but once you get far enough into Lotus (revered iirc?) you can start Celestials and Shado-pan. That said, you should wait until the patch comes before buying anything. The cost of all the current VP gear is being slashed. All the other reps are indeed for pure vanity purposes.

Additional note, Lore walker isn't really a rep in the traditional sense either. If you look at your exploration achievements there are achievements for finding a bunch of scrolls and statues across the zones. If you complete them you get exalted with the faction. The faction mostly exists for filling in the backstory of Pandaria, each set you finish unlocks a new ingame fully voiced cutscene. Pretty cool if you care about the lore any, otherwise a waste of time.

Also glad to see someone else who loves scenarios, easily my favorite part of the expansion personally! Which speaking of you can get gear from the boxes at the end for every slot, including ilvl 476 epics. The epics are fairly rare (I've only found about 3 myself) but the 363 blues seem pretty common from my experience nowadays.

ZenaxPure

Just saw on MMOC that the new rare spawns on the throne of thunder island can be killed by multiple people without being in a group and loot works similar to lfr where each person has a chance at the loot table individually, but, for each person that starts fighting the mob it gains 50% more HP. Seems like a really smart change considering these specific rare spawns give 15 VP and drop the item that gives access to the solo scenario.

My first reaction was that this could create some potential trolling by assholes depending how the HP increase works, but, realistically I think most people will just want to kill it and get their loot and move on. I'm super happy they are adding vp to the mobs though, I thought it felt a little silly that the ones currently in game didn't give any considering the vision behind MoP was you were supposed to get vp from pretty much everything.

Rokam

The key can actually drop off any mob, just a higher chance from the rares and chests. In fact I think the key has a 100% drop rate or something from the intro quest scenario. That scenario (the treasure trove) is amazing, hope they start doing more things like it.

Bizazedo

Just saw on MMOC that the new rare spawns on the throne of thunder island can be killed by multiple people without being in a group and loot works similar to lfr where each person has a chance at the loot table individually, but, for each person that starts fighting the mob it gains 50% more HP. Seems like a really smart change considering these specific rare spawns give 15 VP and drop the item that gives access to the solo scenario.

My first reaction was that this could create some potential trolling by assholes depending how the HP increase works, but, realistically I think most people will just want to kill it and get their loot and move on. I'm super happy they are adding vp to the mobs though, I thought it felt a little silly that the ones currently in game didn't give any considering the vision behind MoP was you were supposed to get vp from pretty much everything.

I solo'd one last night, it had 10 million HP. It took foreeeeeeeeeeever.

ZenaxPure

The key can actually drop off any mob, just a higher chance from the rares and chests. In fact I think the key has a 100% drop rate or something from the intro quest scenario. That scenario (the treasure trove) is amazing, hope they start doing more things like it.

I think the more important part is they give 15 vp and there will be a lot of them once the server reaches stage 5 :p. Well to me anyway, already love fighting them so this makes me even more pumped. Wonder what the respawn timers for them are.

Also yeesh at 10 million hp, was that with another person increasing it's HP or is that just their HP? Seems kinda high for 1 person.

Bizazedo

Also yeesh at 10 million hp, was that with another person increasing it's HP or is that just their HP? Seems kinda high for 1 person.

One person. It gets higher the more jump in.

Also just tried a Zandalari Warbringer. He is soloable if you can avoid adds / make zero mistakes as a tank.

FYC

Banned
Thanks for the help Zenax, glad you saved me some VP :)

Scenarios are very cool, I also think I'll be hooked on pet battles in the near future.

ZenaxPure

Thanks for the help Zenax, glad you saved me some VP :)

Scenarios are very cool, I also think I'll be hooked on pet battles in the near future.

Pet battles are pretty fun, I think my only real problem with them though is the higher level you get the longer battles can go for. Basically everyone has too much HP, if you don't type match basic attacks can take like 5 or 6 hits to down someone, and, the harder hitting abilities with long cooldowns seem to have a really high chance to miss for whatever reason. That said, those things haven't stopped me from doing over 400 battles according to the achievement tracker for doing 1000 battles lol.

Also worthy to note, unless they changed their mind you will be have a chance to get lesser charms from pet battles next patch, so I do look forward to that.

Rokam

One person. It gets higher the more jump in.

Also just tried a Zandalari Warbringer. He is soloable if you can avoid adds / make zero mistakes as a tank.

Good to hear, was wondering if I could solo them on my DK. Guess I'll grab some tank gear!

Bizazedo

Good to hear, was wondering if I could solo them on my DK. Guess I'll grab some tank gear!

I don't want to make it sound like it's easy, btw....But the heavy attacks are avoidable (which brings in the danger of adds).

Just don't be afraid to run like a bitch when the meteors start falling or he summons the spirit. Spirit, especially, is slow and won't catch you.

Is there something else I can do with my lesser elder charms? Like in 5.2 we can get even more than we already have now, but I can't even use the charms I have now. So what's the point? I think i have around a 1000 lesser elder charms at the moment. Heaven forbid I can get more than 3 bonus rolls a week for LFR. I know i'd be getting loot like crazy if I could :p /sarcasm.

ZenaxPure

Or if you care about getting one of the best mounts in the game. ;)

Yeah I can't deny that, not one of my personal favorites but it is probably the most unique mount in the expansion.

Is there something else I can do with my lesser elder charms? Like in 5.2 we can get even more than we already have now, but I can't even use the charms I have now. So what's the point? I think i have around a 1000 lesser elder charms at the moment. Heaven forbid I can get more than 3 bonus rolls a week for LFR. I know i'd be getting loot like crazy if I could :p /sarcasm.

Consider those extra a buffer. Once you are done with dailies because you're exalted/sick of them/hate them in general/whatever you can just sit on those extra over time. A lot of us completely finished all the reps (besides the 5.1 one obviously) in October/November but we had so many charms that we are just now getting to the point where we have to do dailies again to refill the 90 we need each week.

Personally at the rate I was going I would have ran out in about 3 more weeks, so 5.2 is going to have good timing for me.

Westlo

urgh just spent 37k on 57 blood spirits, obviously duped (but hey so were most of "that" epic gem in cata) but a goblin gotta do what a goblin gotta do. Selling at the right time I can get like 1.1k for each one...

Edit - Yay my third sidegrade this week in LFR! Got the Tier Chest and shoulders but get the non tier pieces in Terrance, have the Terrane legs and than get the empress legs, meanwhile I still have blue helm, belt, 2 blue rings and one trinket... fml... at least i got my 450 bracers upgraded to lfr 483...

I guess thunderforge can make sidegrades interesting... assuming you proc thunderforge...

Tarazet

Valor capped for the week, sitting at 2500 so I'll be ready for 5.2 by Tuesday night.

I haven't gotten any gear from raids since January.. which is fine, all I need is 496 pieces from Sha of Anger and he never fucking drops anything.

Bizazedo

You also use the Lesser Charms to buy the new Mogue Charms of Fate or w/e...so in theory you can spend 180 a week now.

Think of it as an Elder coin for the new LFR / raids.

Additionally, I (think) remember you being able to use Elder charms on +rep items, but I wasn't really paying attention too much to those items when I was on the PTR.

(Btw, your comments indicate you have 10 already? Others correct me if I'm wrong, but if you run LFR again you can use those excess coins :) ).
Expect it on the 5th or a week after.
They said PvP season ends on the 5th, so it better be then.

Was originally going to be tomorrow as per a post from Bashiok but it sounds like it got pushed back to next week (March 5)

My brain is okay with this. *chuckles* Gives time to get some more valor and the last of those seals... though I'm doubting I'll ever get a new weapon to drop. It hasn't happened yet so I'm not expecting it to happen now. Plus I've had company last week that leaves tomorrow and I wasn't able to raid except for one Terrace run.

I'll be able to finish up the Anglers also. Nat on the other hand...

ZenaxPure

You also use the Lesser Charms to buy the new Mogue Charms of Fate or w/e...so in theory you can spend 180 a week now.

I believe they said you can no longer spend lesser charms on the default elder charms in 5.2 as they can be found in abundance on the new island anyway (also wonder if this means they are removing the cap on them?)

(Btw, your comments indicate you have 10 already? Others correct me if I'm wrong, but if you run LFR again you can use those excess coins :) ).

Yep, this is a good thing to note as well, you can always use coins even on bosses you've completed that week. Pretty much the entire month of January I was using all 3 of my weekly coins on Lei Shi since she had 3 items I needed.

Tarazet

My brain is okay with this. *chuckles* Gives time to get some more valor and the last of those seals... though I'm doubting I'll ever get a new weapon to drop. It hasn't happened yet so I'm not expecting it to happen now. Plus I've had company last week that leaves tomorrow and I wasn't able to raid except for one Terrace run.

I'll be able to finish up the Anglers also. Nat on the other hand...

I still haven't finished up Nat Pagle. Didn't try very hard though since it's kind of balls. I don't think I've done a single daily quest on my main since I finished Pandaren Ambassador, for that matter, except maybe some of the ones for the farm friends I didn't do yet.

Berordn

I believe they said you can no longer spend lesser charms on the default elder charms in 5.2 as they can be found in abundance on the new island anyway (also wonder if this means they are removing the cap on them?)

I remember them announcing that 90 lesser charms now buys you 6 greater, and that the cap for the Greater Charms would be bumped up to 20.

But I'd have to dig through MMOC to find where exactly they said that.

ZenaxPure

I remember them announcing that 90 lesser charms now buys you 6 greater, and that the cap for the Greater Charms would be bumped up to 20.

But I'd have to dig through MMOC to find where exactly they said that.

Oh weird, I was going entirely off this blog post from blizzard, but it is a few weeks old now, might be out of date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom