• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizazedo

Hmmm...from the interviews....

Faction traitors?

That's how I read it and posted above, but then I had the chance to think about it while on the toilet.

You currently have to pay to faction change....would they really cut that off to allow a faction traitor?

Sciz

So my raid group is at the final boss of Heart of Fear.

I'm tanking.

When the 2 groups of adds come up, me and the other tank are pretty much insta-gibbed... That's pretty insane. If there something we could be missing? It's ridiculous how we grab aggro, we both pop all of our cooldowns, and we last as long as our cooldowns last - as soon as they drop off, we both die within 2-3 seconds. It's really, *really* ridiculous.

Yep, they hurt. As noted above, aoe stuns are counterintuitively lethal. If you've got anything that scales with attack power, wait a few seconds before hitting it. You'll have 150k AP or so thanks to vengeance, so any scaling shields and heals get downright silly. Make sure you're rotating all the external cooldowns you've got as well, and that they aren't being layered with the tank CDs.

If one tank reliably goes down sooner than the other, what you could try doing is to have the entire raid blow up the windblades on the squishier guy while the other one just toughs it out or kites for a while, and then have the first tank taunt an add or two off the second.

In my experience as a brewmaster, my DK co-tank kept dying first, so we threw all the dps at his pack while a healer and I handle the other one ourselves. Fort brew, elusive brew, and a crit trinket get popped on the pull, and I also throw Xuen at a windblade to keep it busy for a while. Guard soaks a good 600k damage once vengeance ramps up, and the crit trinket stacks elusive brew back up quickly. By the time I'm actually out of cooldowns I've already killed one windblade, another's likely to be wandering around fixated on someone, and the dps have cleared out the other pack entirely.

ZenaxPure

Is the first statement from one of the recent Blizz interviews that've posted? Do you have link?

It's in this video interview, it's worth watching but the bullet points for it on mmoc does a good job summing it up. According to Dave Kosak 5.3 is going to be all about the people back at home dealing with the changes in the world.

Holy crap.

Maybe "Traitor" or faction changes? All races for both sides? Opens up allllll of their quests?

I'm still in the camp that factions have to go at some point, makes too much sense from a gameplay perspective. There are a lot of servers where one faction is completely dead and you can't even get into a competent raiding guild/RBG/arena team unless you faction change or server transfer. Hell, my server is about 70% alliance and there is only 2 horde guilds in current heroic content and only 3 total (including those previous 2) that have finished every boss on normal modes. In contrast there are 12 alliance guilds working on heroics. In even more contrast according to guildox we have 26 horde guilds that are at least 1/16, where as there are 62 alliance guilds. Not like my server is special either, a lot of them are this way. Could really help with the health of some servers if you could just play with anyone since blizzard doesn't seem too keen on CRZ with the most recent content.

I don't think that would actually give much in the way of new content, just a new shiny thing to look at.

I don't think it will be just factions ending. I think there will be a lot of stuff tying it in with lore and with the final dungeon maybe. To end the factions there would have to be a reason for it and whatever that reason is could create a lot of content.

I'm in agreeance with Zenax, factions need to end.

Bizazedo

I'm in agreeance with Zenax, factions need to end.

I don't know if they can outright end the Horde and Alliance unless there's just not going to be any more RTS games set in the WoW universe.

That, plus as has been said, you can always make an alt to experience the content.

One time only per character faction traitor questlines would be a cool addition....but to just END the Horde and Alliance? They couldn't with the Outland and old world time bubbles and even then....

For the Horde..!!

Sidenote: It's kind of funny. Originally, one of the reasons they separated Paladin and Shaman was to make the two factions different and, YES, to have them hate each other (something remarkably achieved by Paladins).

They said at the time if there was no rivalry, it would hurt people's dedications to their factions.

Tigole was right..!

TimeKillr

Yep, they hurt. As noted above, aoe stuns are counterintuitively lethal. If you've got anything that scales with attack power, wait a few seconds before hitting it. You'll have 150k AP or so thanks to vengeance, so any scaling shields and heals get downright silly. Make sure you're rotating all the external cooldowns you've got as well, and that they aren't being layered with the tank CDs.

If one tank reliably goes down sooner than the other, what you could try doing is to have the entire raid blow up the windblades on the squishier guy while the other one just toughs it out or kites for a while, and then have the first tank taunt an add or two off the second.

In my experience as a brewmaster, my DK co-tank kept dying first, so we threw all the dps at his pack while a healer and I handle the other one ourselves. Fort brew, elusive brew, and a crit trinket get popped on the pull, and I also throw Xuen at a windblade to keep it busy for a while. Guard soaks a good 600k damage once vengeance ramps up, and the crit trinket stacks elusive brew back up quickly. By the time I'm actually out of cooldowns I've already killed one windblade, another's likely to be wandering around fixated on someone, and the dps have cleared out the other pack entirely.

Yeah, I'm a DK, the other tank is a Warrior (but he usually dies first).

The problem with rotating CDs is that I essentially have only 2 for this - Vampiric Blood and Icebound Fortitude.

IF makes me live, for sure. But VB doesn't do much - +40% healing is awesome in a LOT of circumstances, but in this case it's shit, because I don't get enough incoming healing to survive.

I'll have to check what we can do. Seriously, the WAR tank shouldn't be dying this quickly, though.

Bizazedo

I'll have to check what we can do. Seriously, the WAR tank shouldn't be dying this quickly, though.
I can't help on your issue, but sidenote..I am inordinately pleased with Warrior tanking right now.

I'm the best geared of our guild's tanks....which since it's casual doesn't mean I automatically tank everything since sometimes I've got to run around grabbing adds in DPS gear while in defensive stance (25 Man Will downed last night, woo!) or the other tanks just don't have useful alt specs and they need me to DPS..

BUT, when I do, the Warrior definitely feels near the top of the line right now.

It's probably just due to my horrendous lack of knowledge.

Berordn

They've been hinting at some kind of treaty between the factions for a while now, especially in all of Velen's talks about uniting for this grand showdown against the legion. I wouldn't be surprised if they started dissolving the lines between the factions, even if they don't outright remove the distinctions.

Sciz

The problem with rotating CDs is that I essentially have only 2 for this - Vampiric Blood and Icebound Fortitude.

IF makes me live, for sure. But VB doesn't do much - +40% healing is awesome in a LOT of circumstances, but in this case it's shit, because I don't get enough incoming healing to survive.

IBF should be enough on its own, and you can segue that into VB, bone shield, and dancing rune weapon together. Channel AotD before DRW falls off for the extra damage reduction, and then you've got a wall of minor meatshields that'll take the pressure off for a little bit.

Less familiar with warriors, but a glyphed shield wall can handle the first few seconds on its own, and from there he's got demo shout/banner, what I would expect to be huge shield barriers, and whatever healer/pally externals you've got hanging around. If the dps still haven't managed to kill anything by the end of that, kiting works.

And again, if anyone's dropping aoe stuns, tell them to cut it out. A few seconds of breathing room isn't worth getting hit for north of 400k in a global.

Enosh

I'm a DK tank on this and I have to say you don't know your toolkit all that well if you say everything you have is just VB and IBF :p

-IBF, have something so you can see when it drop
-AMS is useful if you time it right, the aoe cleave thingy is nature dmg iirc
-Dancing rune weapon, again, have some power aura or good class timers that shows you when it is up, so you can time it with the rest
-VP like you said
-bone shield, I go in with it, when it drops I refresh it if the retreat timer is over 1 min, if it isn't i don't use it till retreat
-death pact when low
-empower rune weapon if you drop low again
-potion of the mountains

and last but not least, the most lol worthy one, unglyphed army of the death, cast it while you have DRW up, in my gear I have 30% dodge+parry, plus the 20% parry of DRW means basically a second IBF, plus the army taunts the small adds meaning they aren't hitting you

remorseless also helps, you just need to move a bit after to stagger their attacks again, or remorseless -> when they get out army

McNei1y

I like when Dev's hint at future content and lore. The whole 'dinosaurs came from islands of the South Sea' stuff really makes me want a 'Lost Isle's' expansion to explore these things and stuff.

They also seem to be hinting at a Burning Legion expansion eventually soon with all the talks of the RFC experiments being explored. I'm also curious as to how many expansions they plan on having. We still need an Emerald Dream and Burning Leigon one. I wonder if they will do a lost isles expansion pack. You know, one that explores that warlock dude and stuff.

I would love a dinosaur based expansion but I would love a BC 2 even more. Who knows what we're getting but in the end it will be better than generic Asian Pandaria mush.

cdyhybrid

War with the Burning Legion would be great. That would have to be the last one though, since we'll probably kill/banish/derail Sargeras at the end. They could do one where the Titans come back and help us kill the Old Gods without taking Azeroth with them. That Azshara/South Seas idea sounds like the one that would make the most sense to do next, though. Killing Sargeras or the Old Gods would have to come last.

McNei1y

War with the Burning Legion would be great. That would have to be the last one though, since we'll probably kill/banish/derail Sargeras at the end. They could do one where the Titans come back and help us kill the Old Gods without taking Azeroth with them. That Azshara/South Seas idea sounds like the one that would make the most sense to do next, though. Killing Sargeras or the Old Gods would have to come last.

This would definitely have to come last. It's like the greatest evil alive. When all is said and done, though, I wonder if they would have to make a Warcraft 4 to create a WoW2

Berordn

This would definitely have to come last. It's like the greatest evil alive. When all is said and done, though, I wonder if they would have to make a Warcraft 4 to create a WoW2

Even if Sargeras dies, there's no real reason why WoW has to end. If anything, it opens up the rest of the Pantheon to act as antagonists.

McNei1y

Even if Sargeras dies, there's no real reason why WoW has to end. If anything, it opens up the rest of the Pantheon to act as antagonists.

Wasn't there something about Titans possibly turning on the 'adventurers' because of how powerful they're getting? Maybe I'm making that up.

scoobs

I like when Dev's hint at future content and lore. The whole 'dinosaurs came from islands of the South Sea' stuff really makes me want a 'Lost Isle's' expansion to explore these things and stuff.

They also seem to be hinting at a Burning Legion expansion eventually soon with all the talks of the RFC experiments being explored. I'm also curious as to how many expansions they plan on having. We still need an Emerald Dream and Burning Leigon one. I wonder if they will do a lost isles expansion pack. You know, one that explores that warlock dude and stuff.

I wouldnt be surprised if we get an expansion dedicated to the Lost Isles. That seems like a natural expansion possibility for sure

McNei1y

I wouldnt be surprised if we get an expansion dedicated to the Lost Isles. That seems like a natural expansion possibility for sure

A few possibilities:

-Revisiting Maelstrom?
-Revisiting Kezan (Deathwing set off the volcano)
-The Island that Thrall was on in WC3 with the sea witch
-The numerous lost isles that Gul'Dan traveled too
-Same Maiev Shadowsong

Berordn

Wasn't there something about Titans possibly turning on the 'adventurers' because of how powerful they're getting? Maybe I'm making that up.

We know they're not going to be happy about what we've done with Algalon and what we're about to do with Ra-den whenever they finally find out.

Plus their motives are looking a bit dubious, now that we know a good portion of the Legion's backbone were once loyal to them.

Sciz

It's a plausible guess. According to Titan protocol, everything alive on the planet is corrupted and should be wiped out at this point. We've caused one of their servants to doubt his mission, there's plenty of examples of life coming under old god control (willingly, even), and Ra-den's convinced that we're doomed one way or another.

And this is coming from a company that already has one franchise in which beings of pure order are nearly as much of a threat to mortals as the beings of pure chaos.

Rokam

Spoilers regarding the titans and 5.2 legendary quest chain, as well as Ra-Den:
Ra-den’s sound file says “Wait, I am not your enemy. [...] I do not believe that you can correct this doomed course, but you have earned the right to try” and Wrathion legendary audio shares “‘We have fallen, we must rebuild the final titan. Do not forget.’ It is gone, I do not remember any of it. None of them remember” which rather implies that we might be working with the Titans rather than against them. Dave confirms that this is way more accurate than just random tin-foil hat speculation!

If we work with the Titans they could bring back Path of the Titans, and you pick one of the Titans to champion, leading to new skills, bonuses, and special quest lines. Make it happen Blizzard.

ZenaxPure

Something to keep in mind about the burning legion, they could pretty easily wring out 2 more expansions with them without breaking a sweat. Kil'Jaeden had nothing nice to say about Sargeras during the Sunwell fight so it's entirely probable they could even be fighting each other currently meaning two different "factions" of burning legion people.

They've been hinting at some kind of treaty between the factions for a while now, especially in all of Velen's talks about uniting for this grand showdown against the legion. I wouldn't be surprised if they started dissolving the lines between the factions, even if they don't outright remove the distinctions.

Pretty much, they have been hinting at this stuff forever now, even back in Cataclysm. Thrall was really preachy about us getting no where on our own. The quest chain at the temple of the white tiger (at least for Alliance, can't remember the horde version at all currently) Anduin outright claims that eventually old hatreds will go away and peace will come. Not to mention all of Wrathion's quests, or, if you want to go back far enough the Ulduar trailer even Rhonin is jabbering on about how the world is fucked and we won't get anywhere fighting each other.

A lot of the signs have been there for years now, feels like we've been building up to some sort of treaty forever. Factions don't need to completely go away or anything but boy it sure would be nice if I could recruit anyone on the server into my raid instead of just half the player base there.

Spoilers regarding the titans and 5.2 legendary quest chain, as well as Ra-Den:
Ra-den’s sound file says “Wait, I am not your enemy. [...] I do not believe that you can correct this doomed course, but you have earned the right to try” and Wrathion legendary audio shares “‘We have fallen, we must rebuild the final titan. Do not forget.’ It is gone, I do not remember any of it. None of them remember” which rather implies that we might be working with the Titans rather than against them. Dave confirms that this is way more accurate than just random tin-foil hat speculation!

If we work with the Titans they could bring back Path of the Titans, and you pick one of the Titans to champion, leading to new skills, bonuses, and special quest lines. Make it happen Blizzard.

This sounds a lot like alternate advancement. I am not in favor of alternate advancement systems in games, because it always ends up being manditory. Flashbacks of grinding AAs in EQ for hours and hours. For the love of god, please, no.

Rokam

This sounds a lot like alternate advancement. I am not in favor of alternate advancement systems in games, because it always ends up being manditory. Flashbacks of grinding AAs in EQ for hours and hours. For the love of god, please, no.

Well it was just my 2 cents on it, and I honestly don't think we'll see titans for quite some time. Also it would be the only progression path, no new talents or anything like that, of course it would be balancing hell though.

So I just grabbed Mists and renewed because I was really curious.....oh god what have I done?!

Prot warrior, resto shammy, or arcane mage; which should be my first to 90? I want something that's the most viable.

Well it was just my 2 cents on it, and I honestly don't think we'll see titans for quite some time. Also it would be the only progression path, no new talents or anything like that, of course it would be balancing hell though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with the IDEA of AA as long as it doesn't end up being a grindy min/max fest. Of course, considering how many people are upset about faction progression via dailies, they might love an AA that's based on grinding exp mobs for the rest of your life.

I hope I didn't sound like I was jumping down your thoat or anything! That wasn't my intent! :(

Tamanon

Banned
So I just grabbed Mists and renewed because I was really curious.....oh god what have I done?!

Prot warrior, resto shammy, or arcane mage; which should be my first to 90? I want something that's the most viable.

Well, you're talking a good tank, a good healer and a good dps. They're all perfectly viable.

Rokam

Just in case anyone doesn't know, like the Firelands daily quests rewarded "the Flamebreaker" title, the new area will award "the Stormbreaker".

Hoplatee

All fine choices. Pick whatever you think you will like the most. I enjoy my Warrior very much!

You won't experience any queues as a Prot Warrior. Not for leveling and not for 90 content. So if it would be your first char to get to 90 I would probably pick that or the Resto Shaman first. Queues for dungeons aren't that bad either with a healer. For DPS it varies a lot.

Tarazet

Well, you're talking a good tank, a good healer and a good dps. They're all perfectly viable.

There really isn't anything that isn't "viable" at 90. At lower levels, it's a different story. Prot Warriors are stupid amazing at early levels, then suck at endgame until they have gear at which point they're amazing again.

Westlo

Pretty awesome that you can level up mining to being able to smelt Ghost Iron Ore by nearly entirely just smelting stuff. Think I had to node 10 adamantite ore and about 30 Cobolt, everything else smelted upto 500.

Robin64

LFR is all I do raid wise, so it's a bit of a shitter that I have to wait for an arbritary delay to Throne of Thunder opening just because normal raiders cry and throw their toys out the pram otherwise.

Just now getting to trying raid content in Pandaria. LFR is so boring. It's basically me standing around doing my spell rotation for 30 minutes straight. Am I missing something here? At least the Deathwing raid had cool stuff to look at. MSV looks just like every other dungeon in this xpack.

And where is the loot? All I'm getting is cache of mogu treasures or whatever for about 30g each boss.

Just now getting to trying raid content in Pandaria. LFR is so boring. It's basically me standing around doing my spell rotation for 30 minutes straight. Am I missing something here? At least the Deathwing raid had cool stuff to look at. MSV looks just like every other dungeon in this xpack.

And where is the loot? All I'm getting is cache of mogu treasures or whatever for about 30g each boss.

Never thought I would see the day when someone says the Deathwing raid has more cool stuff to look at than, well, any other raid in the game (especially the MoP ones)

Loot is random, there's a chance of getting a piece of loot each boss but they give you gold so you don't just end up with nothing (as you did in Deathwing LFR)

Ultratech

Yeah, getting the failbag sucks.

They're supposed to improve the stuff you get from it next patch, so it won't be so...bad.

That's on top of an improved drop rate for 5.0 LFR too!

Never thought I would see the day when someone says the Deathwing raid has more cool stuff to look at than, well, any other raid in the game (especially the MoP ones)

Loot is random, there's a chance of getting a piece of loot each boss but they give you gold so you don't just end up with nothing (as you did in Deathwing LFR)
I'd rather look at dragons and outer space and crazy cool clouds than another generic Asian decor dungeon.

And don't get me wrong, I'd rather have gold than nothing!

Yeah, getting the failbag sucks.

They're supposed to improve the stuff you get from it next patch, so it won't be so...bad.

That's on top of an improved drop rate for 5.0 LFR too!
Definitely good to know. Thanks!

Westlo

LFR is all I do raid wise, so it's a bit of a shitter that I have to wait for an arbritary delay to Throne of Thunder opening just because normal raiders cry and throw their toys out the pram otherwise.

I wouldn't even be ilevel 480 during the first week of the patch.... so doesn't really bother me... I'm 476 on my Mage and 469 (470 in bag) for my Warrior.... I guess the Neutral Rep 522 Amulet would get me up 2 maybe 478.. but I'll need another drop or something to get to 480.

Also why does Tsulong me :(

Has 5 items I can get off him for my mage...

Sha Touched Sword (which also matches my tmog!)
Cloth Shoulders
Cloth Belt Hit/Mastery
Cloth Belt Crit/Haste
Cloth Boots

No Sha Touched Weapon :( :( :(
1 Shoulders but I already have tier shoulders....
Just got the Hit/mastery belt
Haven't got the crit/haste belt yet, but I'm sure I'll get this next time!
Cloth boots was my first drop off him, got another pair last week :(

So stupid he has 5 items I can get while the first boss has like 2.

Has 5 items I can get off him for my mage...

Sha Touched Sword (which also matches my tmog!)

I have a question about mages using swords. I have always used staves on my mage and have thought it was weird that mages can even wield swords.

Are there INT swords out there? Can mages dual wield swords? Now I'm starting to think of all the tmog possibilities...

Berordn

Are there INT swords out there?

Yes, tons. Spellswords have existed since day 1.

Can mages dual wield swords?

No, but the next patch is supposed to allow you to transmog your off-hand frill into another sword (or similar animated weapon) for appearances only. In the meantime your MH sword can be transmogged into any similar slot sword. There's actually a distinction between Main Hand weapons and One Hand weapons that the engine uses for silly reasons that prevent you from transmogging across that boundary, but that's also being lifted in Patch 5.2.

Ripclawe

Banned
Did I miss the message that playing WoW is somehow uncool now? Picked up a 60 day pass at gamestop and the look of shock and the snarky " people still playing wow" attitude irritated me.

Robin64

Did I miss the message that playing WoW is somehow uncool now? Picked up a 60 day pass at gamestop and the look of shock and the snarky " people still playing wow" attitude irritated me.

Yeah, you're not cool unless you move on to each new shiny MMO that comes along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom