• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rokam

Did I miss the message that playing WoW is somehow uncool now? Picked up a 60 day pass at gamestop and the look of shock and the snarky " people still playing wow" attitude irritated me.

Liking anything Blizzard creates is forbidden.... loser.

Tamanon

Banned
Did I miss the message that playing WoW is somehow uncool now? Picked up a 60 day pass at gamestop and the look of shock and the snarky " people still playing wow" attitude irritated me.

Just remember they're stuck working in a hellhole. Also you can't buy WoW used so it's worthless to them.

Rokam

Don't forget with the patch you'll be able to champion faction for the first Heroic and Scenario of the day, this includes the new daily hub faction.

Also DMF will be starting up this weekend, so be sure to grab the reputation bonus buff, and with the patch release there will new hats you can buy from the DMF or receive via prize bags that will contain the hats as well. They provide the xp/rep buff (consumed on use). The hat costs 10 tickets. So if you're a raider it may be wise to save tickets and grab some hats on Tuesday and use them when you're about to get a kill. Not sure if they can be used in combat, but I'd assume so.

Finished up the Valor part of Wrathion last week and started on the PVP bits this week. Boy, what a rude awakening. Finally managed to win the Temple on the fourth or fifth fight (top dps on it too), but Silvershard Mines is just busting my balls. I think nine fights and nine losses today. Is Blizz really expecting us to gear up PvP for a storyline quest in order to help win these matches? I don't even know where the Honor vendor is :p. Or is the weekend just high time for serious BG players and I should try some other time?

Basically that. Silvershard is a pretty terrible BG though, at least for the purposes of this quest, the skill divide is obvious in it.

It definitely seems a bit unbalanced given the asymmetry and the horde spawn arrangement. Apparently this is a common complaint, usually followed up with "QQ AV horde unfair".

I sort of enjoyed playing these matches, though, I wish they hadn't split PvP gear from regular storyline/quest. They should unify them or just nullify stat bonuses from gear, and then hook up valor rewards to daily BGs, I'd play them more frequently.

RPGCrazied

So, I finally get to do BT, and bring a hunter friend, and I had to take a screenshot of him. Very old news to most of you, but still a cool fight. His blind fold dropped but not glavies, but can't transmog those anyway.

Wo_WScrn_Shot_030213_195853.jpg

Tarazet

Yeah, I've held off from doing 5.0 LFRs recently just because in 5.2 they'll be a lot nicer.

I'm still kind of scratching my head though. In Cata when they did a reset, they just made the old purples available for JP, which made them easy to grind out by running dungeons since there was no JP cap. That in addition to the tier of dungeons that dropped epics. It was easy to gear up an alt for raiding within a week after hitting 85. This time around, folks are still doing that, since they're used to it, but they don't have enough gear by a far shot to do any good.

I mean, in a way, I'm OK with it. Every time I'm in the top 3 DPS as the tank, I can justify it. I've played every week since launch, I've gotten LFR gear for every slot, so it makes sense that because I've put a lot of time in, my performance is going to be pretty good vs. folks who are playing their fifth 90 and could care less about anything other than getting their drops. But there's also the RNG element of it. It would be easy to have played just as much as me, and still be wielding a blue weapon. Or they could have done all the same things and had 2 fully upgraded T14 pieces from Sha of Anger plus a number of other 496 pieces.

It would be nice if, given enough time and effort, you could for sure get viable end-game gear. In GW2 they've got it set up so if you log the hours, you'll reach your goal, and it can be done in a variety of ways depending on your preference. With the limited crafting options, draconian weekly cap/lockout system and RNG issues, that's simply not the case in MoP.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Basically that. Silvershard is a pretty terrible BG though, at least for the purposes of this quest, the skill divide is obvious in it.

The two new MoP BGs are terrible in RBGs. Kotmogu is based too much on RNG and spawn timers, and comp is heavily favored for both it and Silvershard.

Not to mention Horde basically get a free cart at the start, a lot of games are decided by one cart.

Bizazedo

I'm still kind of scratching my head though. In Cata when they did a reset, they just made the old purples available for JP, which made them easy to grind out by running dungeons since there was no JP cap. That in addition to the tier of dungeons that dropped epics. It was easy to gear up an alt for raiding within a week after hitting 85. This time around, folks are still doing that, since they're used to it, but they don't have enough gear by a far shot to do any good.

I mean, in a way, I'm OK with it. Every time I'm in the top 3 DPS as the tank, I can justify it. I've played every week since launch, I've gotten LFR gear for every slot, so it makes sense that because I've put a lot of time in, my performance is going to be pretty good vs. folks who are playing their fifth 90 and could care less about anything other than getting their drops. But there's also the RNG element of it. It would be easy to have played just as much as me, and still be wielding a blue weapon. Or they could have done all the same things and had 2 fully upgraded T14 pieces from Sha of Anger plus a number of other 496 pieces.

It would be nice if, given enough time and effort, you could for sure get viable end-game gear. In GW2 they've got it set up so if you log the hours, you'll reach your goal, and it can be done in a variety of ways depending on your preference. With the limited crafting options, draconian weekly cap/lockout system and RNG issues, that's simply not the case in MoP.

Eh, I think there's enough alternate ways to get gear currently if you put the effort in. The only real problems I see are that the blood spirits are too rare (somewhat fixed in 5.2) and the lack of a craftable weapon.

The craftable weapon is the big crime in my opinion as it's so important to how you do for a lot of people.

My views are only defensible if you believe that it shouldn't be cake to gear up, though. It's definitely not a stroll to do so for those who either don't want to put in the effort or just don't have the time to. The increased valor + rep boosts in 5.2 should help there, though.

The two new MoP BGs are terrible in RBGs. Kotmogu is based too much on RNG and spawn timers, and comp is heavily favored for both it and Silvershard.

Not to mention Horde basically get a free cart at the start, a lot of games are decided by one cart.

Pretty much. I really enjoy the new BG's when most of each side are randoms, but as soon as it's organized they go to hell.

Westlo

Eh, I think there's enough alternate ways to get gear currently if you put the effort in. The only real problems I see are that the blood spirits are too rare (somewhat fixed in 5.2) and the lack of a craftable weapon.

Blood Spirits are pretty abundant on Frostmourne.

I have a question about mages using swords. I have always used staves on my mage and have thought it was weird that mages can even wield swords.

Are there INT swords out there? Can mages dual wield swords? Now I'm starting to think of all the tmog possibilities...

Dude... how can you forget about dat Azuresong Mageblade!

CassSept

There is also this fish sword from WotLK Naxx.

I actually like Kotmogu :( Silvershard sucks, but Kotmogu is at least really fun and hectic

Westlo

Mining is a real good money maker... just by smelting... wonder how it will hold up with the patch though :(

Edit -Holy shit smelting market is srz business lol.

"Why you crashing the market?"
"I've opened up a ticket for your botting"

I actually did cut the price in half by accident though lol, all fixed now.

ZenaxPure

Mining is a real good money maker... just by smelting... wonder how it will hold up with the patch though :(

Edit -Holy shit smelting market is srz business lol.

"Why you crashing the market?"
"I've opened up a ticket for your botting"

I actually did cut the price in half by accident though lol, all fixed now.

It's so easy to get ghost iron, kinda insane really. I built up an entire guild bank tab of it while questing on my Paladin and got rid of it all yesterday but already have like 40 stacks again. I don't even know why I'm doing it, I hate gathering professions so much, just really easy to mine when you are flying around doing other stuff.

Westlo

It's so easy to get ghost iron, kinda insane really. I built up an entire guild bank tab of it while questing on my Paladin and got rid of it all yesterday but already have like 40 stacks again. I don't even know why I'm doing it, I hate gathering professions so much, just really easy to mine when you are flying around doing other stuff.

Don't think I'm ever going to bother mining on my 85 Paladin, I mean sure I'll mine stuff I come across while leveling her to 90 + doing all those aewsome dailes, but I won't go out of my way to mine.

Though next expansion this paladin might be the first character I level due to insane first week profits lol.

I have a question about heirloom gear. I hit 80 on the rogue and understand that the heirloom helm and back last till level 85. But do the stats not scale? The pieces of green i'm getting are way better than the heirloom pieces. Do they (meaning blizzard) really want us to trudge 5 levels in cata using borked gear just for the exp bonus? Seems kind of strange. Maybe when i hit 81 the stats will change?

Sciz

I have a question about heirloom gear. I hit 80 on the rogue and understand that the heirloom helm and back last till level 85. But do the stats not scale? The pieces of green i'm getting are way better than the heirloom pieces. Do they (meaning blizzard) really want us to trudge 5 levels in cata using borked gear just for the exp bonus? Seems kind of strange. Maybe when i hit 81 the stats will change?

There's always a big jump when you go past a former level cap. Stick with it.

MooseKing

Banned
Well. Played from beta until Cata, then quit. Just tried the free trial of MOP. 100 percent addictedf to the game again. They changed so much for the better it's mind blowing. The story is better in Mists, the quests although similar, are framed in a way they feel more meaningful. Pet battles are cool, the new talent system although not my favorite is simple and to the point. Even the DarkMoon Faire is awesome now.

I can't believe I missed the 50 percent off sale that ended last week. It's hard for me to justify dropping $60 just to play. If it was on sale again I would buy it right this second.

Berordn

Kotmogu's not that bad, since a bad comp will ruin your day in any BG, and it's (at least a little) more skill based than anything they've released since Wrath.

The Horde advantage in Silvershard is the absolute worst though.

Kotmogu's not that bad, since a bad comp will ruin your day in any BG, and it's (at least a little) more skill based than anything they've released since Wrath.

The Horde advantage in Silvershard is the absolute worst though.

Yeah I never felt like I was at an extreme disadvantage in Kotmogu, once you get a better feel for kiting and pick ups and holding center well it flow pretty well. Silvershard is a mess, though, thankfully got a win during some early morning play while waiting for a data build to finish at work :p.

Rokam

Horde may have a closer minecart but you forget... there's still a ludicrous amount of stupid people that play this game. Took me quite awhile to get a win on my horde character. :(

I have a question about mages using swords. I have always used staves on my mage and have thought it was weird that mages can even wield swords.

Are there INT swords out there? Can mages dual wield swords? Now I'm starting to think of all the tmog possibilities...

The Turning Tide is easily one of the coolest weapons in the game. I can still remember getting it on my Mage in WotLK (just before Ulduar and the last BiS piece I needed). I was pretty excited in Cataclysm when transmog was announced so I could finally use it again, but I didn't really see any high-end INT swords in that expansion. I've heard MoP added a lot, though.

McNei1y

I've somehow managed to never play Silvershard yet despite having the game for four months.

That DOTA BG seems like it could be fun if they ever release it.

Berordn

Defense of the Alehouse is one of those that sounds neat in principle but will probably just end up being AV in practice. They're probably aiming to launch it for 5.3/5.4.

McNei1y

Defense of the Alehouse is one of those that sounds neat in principle but will probably just end up being AV in practice. They're probably aiming to launch it for 5.3/5.4.

I wish they kept old AV as an option. I loved the idea of farming Rams, getting wolves, picking up armor scraps, and all that shit. It was a really cool idea. It would be totally worth it if they gave mad honor points or conquest or something for completing one of those games.

But WoW DOTA seems like such an awesome idea.

Ultratech

I wish they kept old AV as an option. I loved the idea of farming Rams, getting wolves, picking up armor scraps, and all that shit. It was a really cool idea. It would be totally worth it if they gave mad honor points or conquest or something for completing one of those games.

I remember doing tons of old AV back in the day. Fun times.

Especially those AV weekends...that takes me back.

Was always cool when you managed to get a Summoning off, despite it taking seemingly forever to do.

Almost never happens nowadays. :(

McNei1y

I remember doing tons of old AV back in the day. Fun times.

Especially those AV weekends...that takes me back.

Was always cool when you managed to get a Summoning off, despite it taking seemingly forever to do.

Almost never happens nowadays. :(

It never happens at all, unless, there's some agreement to fuck around and make it happen. Games are too fast.

I liked the idea of summoning the ancients, or calling in air strikes, or upgrading troops and getting a cavalry charge. Just seemed like an actual war.

And sure, games lasted forever, but I had no issue. Those were fun times. It was like an all out war. There would even be skrimishes and standstills at the field of strife and other locations.

Tarazet

Finally got those two BG's done. I got on at 8 am server and did them both back to back. It was quite a stomping actually. I ran as a bear in my PvE gear, reforged for maximum dodge with a couple of pvp resil gems, and died once between the two matches. I think the score in Kotmogu was 1600-400.

Ultratech

Can't wait for patch...

Been kinda burnt out on my normal chars, so I've been trying to build up my Herald alt (a Tauren Druid from WAY back when).

Almost got him to a point where he should be good to go. (Trying to get him mostly ilvl 219 gear from Frozen Halls dungeons and Heroic Trial of the Champion.)

Bizazedo

Old AV with organized teams was the best.

Anyone remember the land mines? :).

Can't wait for patch...)

Rumor going around on my server that it was pushed back? :(.

ZenaxPure

Don't know if already post but the best interview they did for 5.2 Interview with WoW Game Director Tom Chilton, Mists of Pandaria Patch 5.2

I finally got around to listening to this (had the thing open in a tab since this was posted lol, just didn't make time for it), nice to see an official hint on what that big feature will be. Now we know it will be old stuff and that it appears to be a big undertaking to complete, I guess realistically I have to wonder if that means doing old quests or doing old dungeons (or both). My main concern is if it will fall on the player progression side (rewarding vp or items) or just something more like pet battles/transmog/mount collecting etc. there for us to just have fun with.

If it is quests I hope it enables us to get the original items from those quests again for transmog, I have had multiple cases in the past few months where I saw an item I wanted to use for transmog only to be disappointed by the fact I did the related quest YEARS ago and vendored the item. I know Blizzard plans to roll out more old unobtainable gear for transmog as time goes on but I assume that will mostly be for popular item sets not the random unique lantern model that you can only get in Hellfire Peninsula that my Mage vendored before transmog was even a thing :(

Hoplatee

The Turning Tide is easily one of the coolest weapons in the game. I can still remember getting it on my Mage in WotLK (just before Ulduar and the last BiS piece I needed). I was pretty excited in Cataclysm when transmog was announced so I could finally use it again, but I didn't really see any high-end INT swords in that expansion. I've heard MoP added a lot, though.

Yup, that weapon still looks amazing.

My problem with swords is that barely any of them go on the back. Swords just look weird when they aren't on your back for some reason.

Of course this is not really a problem for casters since it would look kind of weird if they had a sword on their back but I never liked it for melee. I wish all of them would be like the old ZG swords and the random ones that go on your back.

Into

Have not played since WotLK

Bit confused about Rogue poisons, leveled a new Rogue and i am at 19, got Deadly Poison, but i cannot apply it individually to each of my daggers, i only see one "buff" ?

Are the poisons split between main and off hand? I am sure you can have 2 different poisons at the same time? Or did they remove that?

Clipse

Bit confused about Rogue poisons, leveled a new Rogue and i am at 19, got Deadly Poison, but i cannot apply it individually to each of my daggers, i only see one "buff" ?

Are the poisons split between main and off hand? I am sure you can have 2 different poisons at the same time? Or did they remove that?

They split poisons into 2 categories (Lethal and Non-Lethal). You can have only have one of each type buffed on you at a time. Don't need to apply them to your weapons anymore either.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I VP capped this week for the first time since probably November. :\ I'm still like 1500 VP away from finishing that 6000 VP quest. What a horrible idea considering the way you acquire VP this expansion.

That said, I'm looking forward to tomorrow. I gotta get caught up with the Dominance Offensive too, I'm like 6k or so into Revered.

McNei1y

Man, March has become a busy day for me in regards to scheduling conflicts with raid times. My guild raids three nights a week for about 3-3 1/2 hours (tues-thurs). Tomorrow, I am going to a family dinner that may encroach on the start of the raid. I told them the situation and that if need be, they can replace me so I'm fine with that. But since we were trying to get a head start to the new content, I don't want to hold them back... but it seems like I should be back in time before anything serious.

Next Tuesday, I have an event for work that I have to attend which may require me to miss at least an hour and a half of the raid. I have no problem with telling them these things, but again, I don't want to be replace on the first night and then eventually lost my spot.

I hope it all works out.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Man, March has become a busy day for me in regards to scheduling conflicts with raid times. My guild raids three nights a week for about 3-3 1/2 hours (tues-thurs). Tomorrow, I am going to a family dinner that may encroach on the start of the raid. I told them the situation and that if need be, they can replace me so I'm fine with that. But since we were trying to get a head start to the new content, I don't want to hold them back... but it seems like I should be back in time before anything serious.

Next Tuesday, I have an event for work that I have to attend which may require me to miss at least an hour and a half of the raid. I have no problem with telling them these things, but again, I don't want to be replace on the first night and then eventually lost my spot.

I hope it all works out.

You're a 10 man raider, right? That's my biggest concern with 10 man groups is that very few of them have any leeway when it comes to a person missing. :\

Bizazedo

I VP capped this week for the first time since probably November. :\ I'm still like 1500 VP away from finishing that 6000 VP quest. What a horrible idea considering the way you acquire VP this expansion.

That said, I'm looking forward to tomorrow. I gotta get caught up with the Dominance Offensive too, I'm like 6k or so into Revered.

Agreed. You'd think they'd make it harder, it being a Legendary questline and all :(.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Poisons are a personal buff. You can have a non-lethal poison but it generally just is a slow or a stacking stun or a self-heal.

You pretty much just put up Deadly Poison if you are in PVE and Wound Poison in PvP (sometimes). Deadly Poison now just does both Instant and Deadly poison effects on its own.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Glad to be back!

The 5.2 trailer was probably the best WoW-related thing I've ever seen in the past years... I felt horrible not being able to say how hyped I was when the trailer got released.

I've probably watched it 50+ times now :3

Entropia

No One Remembers
Agreed. You'd think they'd make it harder, it being a Legendary questline and all :(.

Complete opposite of what I was going for, :lol

I think the whole miniscule amount of VP we get for dailies, the torturous amount of time it takes to get into an LFD queue, etc makes VP gains painfully slow. And having a weekly cap is just straight up stupid.

McNei1y

You're a 10 man raider, right? That's my biggest concern with 10 man groups is that very few of them have any leeway when it comes to a person missing. :\

Yeah, 10 man. It's good to be a part of it but it also sucks since I'm a core raider... and whenever something comes up IRL, they are at a huge loss because they do not have a replacement that raids as much. I'm fine with telling them since most of the stuff is way more important but I still hate to be that guy that hurts those that want to progress when it's harder for a non-core guy to come in and pug or something.

Bizazedo

Complete opposite of what I was going for, :lol

I think the whole miniscule amount of VP we get for dailies, the torturous amount of time it takes to get into an LFD queue, etc makes VP gains painfully slow. And having a weekly cap is just straight up stupid.

I know, I did that intentionally :).

Are you in a raiding guild? If so, should be very easy after the patch to cap.

Additionally, if you cap once, the next week gets easier to cap if you abuse that +valor buff (which has to be intentional on their part).

The +50% valor boost doesn't go away on Tuesday until you enter an instance. I was able to get over 300 Valor last Tuesday before our raid even started and end the night at 520 due to it.

That's without the +90 LFRs.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I know, I did that intentionally :).

Are you in a raiding guild? If so, should be very easy after the patch to cap.

Additionally, if you cap once, the next week gets easier to cap if you abuse that +valor buff (which has to be intentional on their part).

The +50% valor boost doesn't go away on Tuesday until you enter an instance. I was able to get over 300 Valor last Tuesday before our raid even started and end the night at 520 due to it.

That's without the +90 LFRs.

No, I'm not a raider anymore. I haven't raided since the last week of November.

I had no clue that valor buff bug existed. I'll have to check it out today! :lol

Bizazedo

No, I'm not a raider anymore. I haven't raided since the last week of November.

I had no clue that valor buff bug existed. I'll have to check it out today! :lol

Tomorrow, not today :).

When you log in, though, just remember the "rules".

No instances. Don't log out. Try to avoid anything that would "reload" you (I swear I lost it once on the bombing run at the end of the Vale dailies). Ports at Domination point to elsewhere on Krasarang are safe, though.

So no Roll Club! Wait on those til after you lose the buff (I think Roll club was okay, but be safe).

So log out in Vale and then go to town. Then 2 complete dailies = 3 normal dailies.

I know one week I was lazy, though, and just completed a bunch on Monday and didn't turn them in til Tuesday to get the +valor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom