• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey you gotta do what you gotta do or else it's not going to be an enjoyable experience. For me, I just can't get into regular raiding anymore. So even though my guild is completely dead, it's the perfect place for me to screw around and not have any requirements in a level 25 guild.

Heh. Probably since the start of Mists I had been doing this. There were more people around then but not by much. It was definitely nice for leveling - being able to take your time and not have to rush content or be forced to do content because of raiding. I think I found a good match though in terms of how much raiding is "expected" (which is none but at least accept or decline if you're invited) and it'll feel a bit more lively again. Was missing just BSing with guildmates.

Fun question while the servers are down, what's your total /played time? I've about 100+ days total across all my characters, and I've been on and off since Vanilla. I would think that's a lot, but lurking other WoW threads with the same question... Apparently not.

When I log in tonight, I'll check my main and see many hours I have on her. I have two alts but at most I've put 40 hours into them. I hadn't checked in a long time...

Touchdown

Banned
After a long time off, my guild is finally going to be raiding again starting with the new patch, I'm so excited. :D Bear tank here btw. :)

Bizazedo

Rösti;49055571 said:
As for the patch, I'm pleased with most of the content but I think it's dull they haven't changed the rules, as far as I know, for A Test of Valor. I don't mind grinding Valor Points but it's boring to not be able to do it in one go but have to wait several weeks to complete the quest. The weekly cap shouldn't be linked to that quest in my opinion.

I.....actually agree with this. It's annoying to be held back arbitrarily.

Slayerx

I agree with most posters here. I hate that stupid 6k valor quest. Play the game the way you want and all, what if the activities I like don't give me a lot of valor -_-

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I haven't capped Valor since week 3 of MOP. If you can't progress in that quest without getting 6K valor on each character I will never complete the quest.

Slayerx

It's just gonna take a long long time to get that unless you are a raider. I do not mind that powerful items are behind a lot of grind but the thing is with Wrathion quests the rewards are almost secondary to me. I am more interested in the story, quests and cinematics that go with it.

They made the raid content accessible for this same reason, for people to experience content and lore behind the raids in the context of expansion and now they do this stupid thing.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
ugh, they put 10.6.8 into soft support for WoW.

my computer cant handle the newer versions... guess i'm gonna have to buy a new computer or play on windows all the time.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
I finally got my lfr weapon after 6 weeks of running it last night , the night before the new patch. lol That's my luck.
lol, damn. i just came back to the game and hit 90 about two weeks ago and got mine on my first LFR Heart of Fear run.

McNei1y

I got the legendary gem a month ago and I feel like I'm not at 4k/6k, even though we clear MSV, HOF, and ToeS every week. My buddy wants me to spend so much time grinding valor cap every week and stuff, but I can't do that. It's just too much time that I don't want to spend on this game. I don't want to wait in LFR's queues as a dps every other day.

Bizazedo

Well, 6k valor isn't a roadblock. It might take you guys LONGER (and that's somewhat of a decent topic to debate), but it's not like it's hard or impossible either.

It's brain dead and if you play MoP you will eventually get it. Complaining about it is, quite frankly, silly. It's very honestly your choice if you don't work towards it or complain about it not coming quicker as you naturally play.

You should save the complaints for what comes afterwards.

Killing the Marshal in Krasarang (if you're Horde) is going to be much harder for casuals. I've HEARD of people doing it with 5 and I could see it, but more often I see casuals get annihilated.

(But the gearing up will help).

Berordn

I got the legendary gem a month ago and I feel like I'm not at 4k/6k, even though we clear MSV, HOF, and ToeS every week. My buddy wants me to spend so much time grinding valor cap every week and stuff, but I can't do that. It's just too much time that I don't want to spend on this game. I don't want to wait in LFR's queues as a dps every other day.

Doing a daily heroic and scenario after raiding always pushed me up to Valor cap. Didn't even set foot in LFR by the end.

McNei1y

Doing a daily heroic and scenario after raiding always pushed me up to Valor cap. Didn't even set foot in LFR by the end.

Yeah I probably should've thought of that. I just never think of it after doing a raid. And then I never really sign on, on any of the off days unless it's that Monday to do my dailies to get enough charms.

Slayerx

Nah I am only complaining that they attach the main storyline of the expansion to a legendary quest. Experiencing the 5.2 portion of legendary quest during the Thunder King patch, when the content is relevant and the actual story is relevant to what is going on around you and what other players are doing is not the same as getting it months after when new patch comes out with new story. It's not like I don't play, I play a lot, the kind of activities I do don't give me a lot of valor if any :(

Berordn

Yeah I probably should've thought of that. I just never think of it after doing a raid. And then I never really sign on, on any of the off days unless it's that Monday to do my dailies to get enough charms.

It helps that one of our tanks revels in his ability to solo everything and basically let us go along for the ride.

2 more hours.

I am shocked that they would delay the release of a patch. SHOCKED.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, hardcore tanks seem to laugh it up in Heroics. Had a 750k health Paladin in one of mine last night, he delighted in just rounding up mobs in the Monastery.

McNei1y

It helps that one of our tanks revels in his ability to solo everything and basically let us go along for the ride.

I like tanks that do that. The closest thing I have to an instant queue for a tank is my pally friend who heals.

Then again, we had him queue as tank, our shaman queue as healer, than myself (warlock) and two others (warlock/mage) queue up as dps. We didn't have a tank so we just 'pet tanked' if needed to and that went so fast. It was fun too. Not that it is really tough at a certain point but it's much more enjoyable to just pull everything and nuke it down instantly with 4 dps.

Touch

Leveling my Blood DK has been pretty fun. Only 89 and can pretty much pull everything with nearly topping the heal and dps chart. 5.2 is going to be interesting. This is the first tank I have ever leveled.

Bizazedo

Nah I am only complaining that they attach the main storyline of the expansion to a legendary quest. Experiencing the 5.2 portion of legendary quest during the Thunder King patch, when the content is relevant and the actual story is relevant to what is going on around you and what other players are doing is not the same as getting it months after when new patch comes out with new story. It's not like I don't play, I play a lot, the kind of activities I do don't give me a lot of valor if any :(

If it's any consolation, the 5.2 patch makes it even easier to get Valor than it already was.

That and I don't know if you could consider the main storyline Wrathion. If anything, it's Garrosh.

Wrathion is more of a prelude to the next expansion it feels like.

cdyhybrid

2 more hours.

That's one good thing I get out of working full time now. Back when I was in college I'd sit around surfing forums until the servers came up.

Thinking about offspecing Brewmaster, are they going to be viable after the patch? Know pretty much nothing about their mechanics.

Berordn

That and I don't know if you could consider the main storyline Wrathion. If anything, it's Garrosh.

Wrathion is more of a prelude to the next expansion it feels like.

He's certainly ramping up to it, but with how he's pitting everyone against each other in preparation for the siege of Org, he's definitely doing his part in this storyline too.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, I don't even raid on my main outside of LFR and I had no real problems with getting the 6k vp. I rarely cap on my rogue but I reach around 700ish each week. All I did on him was 3 wings of LFR, the Arch daily each day, and 1 scenario per day. That puts you at 585 valor, I get the rest from doing random stuff like the Cloud Serpent race if it's up (since this nets you 30 vp) or halfhill dailies because I want to the cooking token and I just grab the rest anyway.

Doing a 5 man for vp as a solo DPS just seems like a bad idea imo, but, I feel like it's worth mentioning again since there are new players and stuff: you can do a scenario while you wait in que for a dungeon (and LFR). Unless the que times are absolute shit around the time you get done with the scenario your 5 man should pop. That is an easy 120 vp each day even as DPS. Even still though, as a dps you can do 3 if not 4 scenarios in the time it takes to wait for a dungeon pop and then clear it which is exactly the same amount of vp (or more if you do a 4th) than just sitting in the 5 man que doing nothing. The best combo though, obviously, is doing a scenario or 2 as you wait on the 5 man to pop.

This is also not including stuff like the daily challenge mode that easily nets you over 100 vp as long as you finish with a bronze.

cdyhybrid

He's certainly ramping up to it, but with how he's pitting everyone against each other in preparation for the siege of Org, he's definitely doing his part in this storyline too.

Is there somewhere I can read about the lore leading up to this siege of Org?

Kenai

That's one good thing I get out of working full time now. Back when I was in college I'd sit around surfing forums until the servers came up.

Thinking about offspecing Brewmaster, are they going to be viable after the patch? Know pretty much nothing about their mechanics.

They seem fine. They are rated "middle of the pack" in tank terms (I don't tank so I don't really know why).

ZenaxPure

Is there somewhere I can read about the lore leading up to this siege of Org?

Wowpedia (you can click on each quest in there and read through the whole chain with descriptions) is your best bet, but, it's also worth mentioning the 5.1 reps do a good job building up to the siege of org as well. If you want to experience stuff first hand I'd suggest doing that. The new (5.2) daily reps will have a bit of the story as well but I believe most of it is going to be focused on the Throne of Thunder.

Bizazedo

Having played through it on PTR, by the way, let me just say Blizzard did something I didn't expect they would be able to do. They got me to like a Blood Elf.

Gooo Lor'Themar!

cdyhybrid

Wowpedia (you can click on each quest in there and read through the whole chain with descriptions) is your best bet, but, it's also worth mentioning the 5.1 reps do a good job building up to the siege of org as well. If you want to experience stuff first hand I'd suggest doing that. The new (5.2) daily reps will have a bit of the story as well but I believe most of it is going to be focused on the Throne of Thunder.

Ah cool. The only thing I've run into so far is Vol'Jin's little tiff with Garrosh in I think the Dominance Offensive questline? Haven't really gotten into the Wrathion stuff yet. I hate Garrosh, can't wait until he's gone. I'm surprised the Sha didn't claim him the second he stepped foot onto Pandaria.

As a side note, I haven't done any quests in the Vale because I dropped a quest along the way when I couldn't find the NPC, thinking I could just pick it up later when I came back to the zone, but now I can't find it. Frustrating.

ZenaxPure

Well just as an FYI about how that rep works. Every couple of days that you do dailies with them after finishing the set of 5 a NPC in the main hub will have a quest for you. The quest moves the story along and covers a lot of cool events. That chain very obviously has a lot to do with the Siege of Org because the whole thing is about Garrosh attempting to control the Sha but more importantly he constantly puts the Blood Elves in high risk situations which Lor'themar is not cool with at all (as about halfway through the chain you learn Lor'themar was trying to have the Blood Elves rejoin the Alliance).

Quite a bit of build up there. The Wrathion quest chain certainly feeds into the upcoming Siege for sure, but it's not the only thing!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Ah cool. The only thing I've run into so far is Vol'Jin's little tiff with Garrosh in I think the Dominance Offensive questline? Haven't really gotten into the Wrathion stuff yet. I hate Garrosh, can't wait until he's gone. I'm surprised the Sha didn't claim him the second he stepped foot onto Pandaria.

As a side note, I haven't done any quests in the Vale because I dropped a quest along the way when I couldn't find the NPC, thinking I could just pick it up later when I came back to the zone, but now I can't find it. Frustrating.

They probably already have him under their control. We just don't know it yet. Which is probably why we'll have to kill him in the end.

Bizazedo

It's completely for jest and fun to laugh at, but a guildmate's current theory that Loremaster Cho is working for / possessed by the Sha / trying to kill us is my favorite tin foil theory right now.

"Biz, think about it...'WHAT DOES THIS BUTTON DO? OH...I WILL CLOSE AND LOCK THE DOOR BEHIND ME, GOOD LUCK!'

Berordn

The worst part is that Cho is probably Emperor Shaohao's reincarnation and we're probably supposed to be respectful to him or something.

ZenaxPure

Looks like they buffed base scenario VP again, didn't realize they were doing that.

Edit: Image of Archmage Vargoth is back, lololololol, o u blizz.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm still hoping they realize they can still cancel Siege of Orgrimmar and make the final raid in Pandaria where it's supposed to be.

50% off and 25% off.

I don't know what gets the bigger discount. Does Shieldwall get a discount, which I'm guessing would be 25% off? Or is it the previous gear? 483 level gear getting a 25% discount and 476 gear getting the 50% discount. So for like a 483 helm that originally cost 2200 valor, it would now cost 1650? could be worse I guess. I still think it's dumb that because of the valor cap, it will always take 2 weeks to get certain pieces, or more for 5.2 gear. I just don't get why it matters if people get gear quickly. If that's what they want to do let them. Anyone who gears up fast and then unsubs has got to be in the minority of wow players. Good gear just leads into doing other things and there are quite a few things to do in MoP.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
5.0 factions (most of Pandaria) are 50% off and 5.1 factions (Shieldwall and Dominance) are 25% off.

I didn't know about this, so i'm glad my alt couldn't buy anything from the 5.0 factions yesterday, or i would have wasted a lot of valor points.

Angry Grimace

If it's any consolation they probably won't be stupid enough to put the raid entrance outside Org.

That isn't any consolation. The problem isn't the location its the fact that the raid should be in Pandaria with Pandaren assets, not a bunch of shit from Cataclysm.

Robin64

I could see Garrosh taking over the Thunder King's place, but another raid there would suck.

Way I see it, though, it would probably be like the Deathwing raid with us going to various locations. Phase 1 would be a storming of Orgrimmar, defeating his elite bodyguards, etc. Phase 2, chasing him on zeps as he flies to Pandaria to use some power that's been discovered. Phase 3, fighting a huge powered up Garrosha (ahee) out in the middle of Pandaria.

ZenaxPure

Me (a rogue) and my mistweaver friend just duo'd one of the Zandalari Warbringers (the ones meant for a tank/healer/dps group), what a rush. He hits me for 130k without cooldowns, there is no way we would have won without me having that godly symbiosis item as well. Didn't drop a mount but I did get 2x tokens for 1000 Shado-pan rep and one for Klaxxi - which also are BoA so I plan to send them to my warlock.

Berordn

That isn't any consolation. The problem isn't the location its the fact that the raid should be in Pandaria with Pandaren assets, not a bunch of shit from Cataclysm.

Whatever they do, they probably aren't going to pull another DS and set it in Org proper. I'm sure whatever happens in it, it'll mostly be new stuff.

Though I'm kind of surprised I have that much confidence in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom