• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Spent the first hour of the servers being up just selling resil gems. Ridiculous how fast I was selling them lol

Westlo

I didn't know about this, so i'm glad my alt couldn't buy anything from the 5.0 factions yesterday, or i would have wasted a lot of valor points.

The first thing you should be getting with valor is the 522 item level neck from the new rep.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The first thing you should be getting with valor is the 522 item level neck from the new rep.

Considering it will probably take me a while before i get this rep to honored or whatever is required, i think i'll buy a ring from Dominance Offensive first.

Ultratech

Yeah, had some initial lag at the start.

Did some dailies on Isle of Thunder; they weren't too bad I guess.

Managed to kill a Rare on the island with the help of a Boomkin. Took a pretty good while since he had about 15 mil HP, and we kept getting other adds on us (on the plus side, my Pet was tanking and hardly took any damage from the whole mess). Got the 522 neck, and that key that gets you into the loot scenario (haven't done it yet; want more info on it first).

Then I took a little trip to the Isle of Giants...which was a little weird, since you have to fly there first, and once you hit the Isle proper, you get dismounted into the Ocean, since it won't let you fly on the island. Luckily, there's a Flight Point on the south part of the island. Mobs aren't kidding around, with stuff going from about 4mil HP to a lot more.

The Dinomancers only have ~2mil, can heal themselves (until 50%), and drop battle pets (at a surprisingly good rate). And of course, they drop that Ancient Tome of Dinomancy needed to get yourself a Dire Horn if you're a Hunter. (I got mine within about the 3rd kill.) I got a red one. :D

Considering it will probably take me a while before i get this rep to honored or whatever is required, i think i'll buy a ring from Dominance Offensive first.

But you can get it at Neutral!

Tamanon

Banned

It's Neutral, for 1250 Valor.

Ran the treasure scenario for the first time, ended up with a good amount of stuff, ~200 gold, 3 spirits, 2 ritual stones, 6 elder charms and a few greens.

Westlo

As said by others, it's neutral so it should be the first thing you get as a LFR character and/or alt.

Neutral: Amulets, 1250
Friendly: Ring 1250, Trinket 1750, Wrist 1250
Honored: Hands 1750, Legs 2250, Cape 1250
Revered: Chest 2250, Waist 1750

IIRC a Blizzard rep said you'll be Friendly by the time you kill your first boss (so trash + boss must be enough), considering LFR opens a week later that should give you enough time to get one of the Friendly pieces of gear in the second week.

Personally I'm going with Amulet first week and trinket second for both my two 90's. I wouldn't even consider wasting Valor on any of the 5.0 and 5.2 reps.... with the increased LFR droprate as well as being able to get a lot of Elder charms, why waste Valor that could go to 522 gear? With 458 PVP gear you should have no trouble getting to 460 for Vaults, add Sha + Galleon + Sha 2.0 along with much cheaper 496 crafted gear and the 522 amulet and neck, 470 and 480 should be achievable much quicker as well.

5.0 and 5.1 valor gear should be justice point gear period by 5.4, especially when it's tied to rep.

ZenaxPure

The wind bridge of death is somehow the best and worst thing ever added to this game.

IIRC a Blizzard rep said you'll be Friendly by the time you kill your first boss (so trash + boss must be enough), considering LFR opens a week later that should give you enough time to get one of the Friendly pieces of gear in the second week.

Unless LFR is different this isn't going to happen. We made it to the second boss and none of us are friendly. We're close but I would say we need to kill the second boss + maybe a tiny bit of trash to reach it.

Anyone playing a Resto Druid? Are the changes made in 5.2 any good?

Resto druid got a lot of buffs this patch, straight +healing buff, rejuv costs significantly less mana now, and a few of the talents got buffed (my Cenarion ward ticks for almost 100k now).

Peachpies

starting with 0 rep tonight i got friendly after killing the 3rd boss. If you start earlier though and farm the trash abit then you can get it sooner but the bosses only gave about 330 rep each.

Bizazedo

Me (a rogue) and my mistweaver friend just duo'd one of the Zandalari Warbringers (the ones meant for a tank/healer/dps group), what a rush. He hits me for 130k without cooldowns, there is no way we would have won without me having that godly symbiosis item as well. Didn't drop a mount but I did get 2x tokens for 1000 Shado-pan rep and one for Klaxxi - which also are BoA so I plan to send them to my warlock.

Yeah, tank classes can solo them (albeit, it takes awhile). They're not bad at all.

Isle of Giants, the big guys there require 2-4.

Also, they fixed the Valor buff carrying over :(

The addition of the Zandalari Scouts and Warbringers really smacked the complaint of rep grinding for the older factions across the face, though, ESPECIALLY for alts. Warbringes drop several, each give a thousand, add in guild + commendation and it's 2200 per item for a Bind on Account item.

ZenaxPure

Yeah the rep gain is crazy. I leveled my warlock to 90 in that time frame right before we knew about the double rep gains so when I finished Dread Wastes stuff he hadn't even hit honored, these commissions are amazing for him.

Which, speaking of crazy stuff, I just won a pet battle in Townlong Steppes and got 6 lesser charms. Did a few more and it varied (got 2 on one, 4 on another, few I got none). But still, that one fight giving 6 was kind of crazy, wonder what the cap is on how many you can get.

Knch

Killing the Marshal in Krasarang (if you're Horde) is going to be much harder for casuals. I've HEARD of people doing it with 5 and I could see it, but more often I see casuals get annihilated.

Helped out another guild with this, it becomes a lot easier if you interrupt him calling his adds. (Wiped on the first attempt with about 100K HP left on the marshal, no problems whatsoever on the following attempt.)

Today is going to be a long day at work...

Thoraxes

Jin'rokh the Breaker was suuuuuper easy on 25 man.

I'm surprised more guilds haven't killed him yet worldwide.

As far as the rep goes, having killed the first boss I ended up only 2101/3000 rep.

Tarazet

Bears got some tweaks.

- Mastery is good now (gives 20% more armor per Mastery rating), so I don't automatically reforge out of it any longer
- Faerie Swarm can snare more than one target
- Soul of the Forest was slightly buffed for more rage gen
- Nature's Vigil was nerfed, but the cooldown halved
- Treants buffed
- Cenarion Ward buffed (though I still prefer Renewal)

They still do absurd damage compared to other tanks. I got my 522 necklace, reforged for mitigation based on mastery being decent now, and still put out stupid numbers.

Kangi

I make it to the end of the Black Temple scenario. Have to teleport out to repair on the last stage. Try to teleport back in. "You can't do that right now." ...Lovely.

Edit: Fortunately, if you abondon the instance and re-"queue", it will teleport you to where you last completed a quest inside the scenario.

ZenaxPure

Ran the treasure scenario for the first time, ended up with a good amount of stuff, ~200 gold, 3 spirits, 2 ritual stones, 6 elder charms and a few greens.

Just finished my very first run of this as well, it was pretty awesome. Always wished WoW had more puzzle-y type stuff in it but as Sunken Temple proved puzzles + groups makes for annoying gameplay unless you're doing it with friends.

I managed to get 282 gold, 15 historical parchments, and 9 elder charms. Looking forward to doing that some and trying to make it farther than this one. I got close to what I assume is the end but made a few errors.

ZenaxPure

So I got a key on my Paladin and did the treasure run... got 14 Elder Charms from it despite me doing horrible in the run itself. Those charms + the improved 5.0 LFR drop rate is going to make this week amazing for him.

Westlo

So I got a key on my Paladin and did the treasure run... got 14 Elder Charms from it despite me doing horrible in the run itself. Those charms + the improved 5.0 LFR drop rate is going to make this week amazing for him.

It's hilarious how people are bitching about the removal of the Elder charms quest, just stupid, you could get more charms than you can spend in a week, not to mention if you're LFR you'll have enough runes to spend on the entire first wing next week.

ZenaxPure

It's hilarious how people are bitching about the removal of the Elder charms quest, just stupid, you could get more charms than you can spend in a week, not to mention if you're LFR you'll have enough runes to spend on the entire first wing next week.

Well, in the case of LFR you can always rerun an instance and use charms again, but yeah, you have way more chances at loot now in the 5.0 raids than ever. I just finished the first part of MSV and got the one upgrade my paladin needed without even using a token, so now I still have 14 to blow on the rest of the instances.

So I just got back into WoW after a year break. Me and a few friends wanted to check out the new content and get back into PvP. I always seem to pop back into this game a few months after an expansion. But I've got a few questions because everything looks like it has changed and I haven't kept up with anything.

• I have a Mage and a DK that I played ALOT in WotLK and a little bit in Cata. Where can I get some information on how to build/play these characters (or any class/build) with the new expansion out? I used to go to a website that had tested builds for these classes, but now it doesn't look like builds are complicated anymore.
  • In Cata I took up playing the auction house, selling gems, making glyphs, enchants. I made pretty good gold considering my play times. Did the auction house change drastically? Are somethings just not good to make gold anymore?
  • Lastly, any tips that could help anyone playing the game? I know thats a pretty broad question but I've never had to walk friends who have never played before through this game. Maybe I can learn something too.

Thanks!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
As said by others, it's neutral so it should be the first thing you get as a LFR character and/or alt.

Neutral: Amulets, 1250
Friendly: Ring 1250, Trinket 1750, Wrist 1250
Honored: Hands 1750, Legs 2250, Cape 1250
Revered: Chest 2250, Waist 1750

Personally I'm going with Amulet first week and trinket second for both my two 90's. I wouldn't even consider wasting Valor on any of the 5.0 and 5.2 reps.... with the increased LFR droprate as well as being able to get a lot of Elder charms, why waste Valor that could go to 522 gear? With 458 PVP gear you should have no trouble getting to 460 for Vaults, add Sha + Galleon + Sha 2.0 along with much cheaper 496 crafted gear and the 522 amulet and neck, 470 and 480 should be achievable much quicker as well.

5.0 and 5.1 valor gear should be justice point gear period by 5.4, especially when it's tied to rep.

Neutral is the amulet? Dammit, and i got the 480 one from the Love is in the Air dungeon not too long ago. Guess i'll wait for friendly for a ring or wrist since mine are 463.

Im trying to streamline my Dk after logging in for the first time last night.
Should I just sell/dump all the old pvp gear? I presume all the tanking gear I have isnt going to be much use either? Its a mix of Heroic/Normal firelands and LFR dragon soul..

Need to sort out some addons as well.

Arsin

PLayed quite a bit of the new patch last night and had a great time. I got togeather with a some friends and we hunted rares for a few hours. We killed just about all of the ones that are available to us at this stage of the invasion. One of my friends got enough ritual stones to summon us a rare boss. It was easy enough to kill with a full group and what was even more awesome is that most of us got a key to the tresure room instance. I made it all the way to the end in my run, but did not have enough time to kill the boss T_T.

I had a few questions for those of you that have downed the first boss in the new raid. What iLV should everyone be at before being able to realistically getting this boss down? I think most of the people in my ten man group are ~485-489.

Also, did you guys have problems looting a rare that was tapped first by an opposing faction? Should we be getting loot if the oposing faction gets the tap?

TimeKillr

So I just got back into WoW after a year break. Me and a few friends wanted to check out the new content and get back into PvP. I always seem to pop back into this game a few months after an expansion. But I've got a few questions because everything looks like it has changed and I haven't kept up with anything.

• I have a Mage and a DK that I played ALOT in WotLK and a little bit in Cata. Where can I get some information on how to build/play these characters (or any class/build) with the new expansion out? I used to go to a website that had tested builds for these classes, but now it doesn't look like builds are complicated anymore.
  • In Cata I took up playing the auction house, selling gems, making glyphs, enchants. I made pretty good gold considering my play times. Did the auction house change drastically? Are somethings just not good to make gold anymore?
  • Lastly, any tips that could help anyone playing the game? I know thats a pretty broad question but I've never had to walk friends who have never played before through this game. Maybe I can learn something too.

Thanks!

For your first question, go to Icy-Veins.com. You'll get a TON of information about classes and such.

Noxxic is also good.

Tarazet

Im trying to streamline my Dk after logging in for the first time last night.
Should I just sell/dump all the old pvp gear? I presume all the tanking gear I have isnt going to be much use either? Its a mix of Heroic/Normal firelands and LFR dragon soul..

Need to sort out some addons as well.

Throw out the PVP gear. All of your stuff can be replaced by 384 greens from Pandaria vendors and questing drops for the same as the vendor value of the old stuff you have.

Robin64

Also, did you guys have problems looting a rare that was tapped first by an opposing faction? Should we be getting loot if the oposing faction gets the tap?

You're supposed to only be able to loot from a rare people of your faction have tapped and you joined in to kill. Are you seeing different behaviour?

Throw out the PVP gear. All of your stuff can be replaced by 384 greens from Pandaria vendors and questing drops for the same as the vendor value of the old stuff you have.

Ah ok. So the only stuff worth keeping is tier for transmog, but really Dk sets are pretty rubbish for the most part so I could get rid of all of it really.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
As a non-raider, there's nothing to do other than more dailies, so its hardly a big deal for me yet.

Tarazet

So how is everyone enjoying 5.2?

Alliance was still griefing like crazy on Galleon last night, but at least they removed the MC mechanic and replaced it with constant streams of adds. It makes it much easier to manage. I wish they had removed it for Sha of Anger as well.. as it is, the problem is always not having enough competent DPS to fill a 40 man raid group, and pulling people out at random doesn't help.

I tried out the Magnificence of Leather cooldown, and learned the pattern for a 458 Hunter PVP helm. It takes two Magnificent Hides, but at least that's one piece I can justify gouging on. I can't imagine it would be worth it to do Magnificence of Scales as well unless you were really hell-bent on learning all 82 patterns as fast as possible, and since no one has Haunting Spirits yet to make the 522 stuff, I'm not rushing it.

Making some good profits off of buying bagfuls of Ghost Iron Ore before the patch at around 60g/stack, now it's going for over 100.

Oh, yeah - the selectable bonus rep from the random dungeon/scenario is sweet.

So how is everyone enjoying 5.2?

After logging on, taking care of my farm and starting work orders plus a few other things... I get the the Isle and I'm like... holy crap - it's Tol Barad on crack.

The amount of dailies though. Geebus. I didn't even finish them all before I finally just needed to break from the insanity of everything going on there and helped a guildie run a dungeon.

Fun thing happened with our raid group last night though. They were running Feng (normal) when they started noticing he was casting epicenter almost twice in a row, as well as lightning fists. The healers are like... uhhh... we can't deal with this. Something seems wrong. So they stopped there and put in a GM ticket.

GM actually got back to them maybe an hour later and figured out that because we had someone in our party was from another server, Feng's attacks were affecting both servers and his cooldowns were staggered based on when the tank got agro on our server and when he got agro on his server.

Was kinda trippy to think of it being handled that way - two parallel worlds feeling the effects of the other. They were working on a fix; think they said they were aiming to have it taken care of by Friday.

Berordn

Troll Barad and Zul'duar are my new favorite places in the game :eek:

You're supposed to only be able to loot from a rare people of your faction have tapped and you joined in to kill. Are you seeing different behaviour?

Rares can be fought by both factions. World bosses are what gets faction tagged.

ZenaxPure

I had a few questions for those of you that have downed the first boss in the new raid. What iLV should everyone be at before being able to realistically getting this boss down? I think most of the people in my ten man group are ~485-489.

That ilvl is fine for the very first boss, he is a very simple dude to murder.

As for looting, the rare spawns seemed to get bugged the more people swamping them. Hopefully it's fixed by now but if not.... when the rare dies if you can't loot it simply tag another mob and bring it near the rare spawn and murder it. Thanks to AOE loot when you loot the mob you killed you will be able to grab the rare spawn's stuff as well.

Robin64

Rares can be fought by both factions. World bosses are what gets faction tagged.

Are you sure? Another Hordey and I helped out a gnome to kill a rare. The mob stayed tagged as grey the whole fight to us and we got nothing at the end, couldn't loot.

^ Ah, maybe that's it...

FYC

Banned
I can still check out the Isle of Thunder and its dailies even if I'm not all that well geared, right? I've only done a few heroics and scenarios, though I got my first Galleon kill today and got some sweet boots :D

Berordn

I can still check out the Isle of Thunder and its dailies even if I'm not all that well geared, right? I've only done a few heroics and scenarios, though I got my first Galleon kill today and got some sweet boots :D

The mobs are going to be gigantic damage sponges, but it's actually a fantastic way to earn coins.

I've gotten 11 in a single day so far.

Trickster

25 man ToT normal feels sooo easy after having done heroics for months.

Jin-rokh - killed in 1 try

Horridon - killed in 4 tries

Council - killed in 4 tires

I make it to the end of the Black Temple scenario. Have to teleport out to repair on the last stage. Try to teleport back in. "You can't do that right now." ...Lovely.

Edit: Fortunately, if you abondon the instance and re-"queue", it will teleport you to where you last completed a quest inside the scenario.
I was working through that scenario today as well. Got to the last stage and I suck. It is ridiculously hard. If you have any tips id be grateful.

Fularu

Banned
Wut, imo that's the most refreshing trash in a long time. All the trash in the T14 raids that you just pull and aoe down is the most boring shit ever. The bridge trash on the other hand offers some fun mechanics.
Except when your stupid tanks pull two wailers and you wipe.

I like a change of pace, but it was pointessly long and annoying.

Trickster

Except when your stupid tanks pull two wailers and you wipe.

I like a change of pace, but it was pointessly long and annoying.

I like that trash isn't just a mere dmg sponge to delay your raid between bosses, so I'm fine with it being a bit punishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom