• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I took on a Direhorn Hatchling as a 475 Ret Paladin and it was only a few hits before I was dead.
I'm sure gear makes some difference here - I'm a 491 ret pally, but I'm able to easily solo each type of hatchling individually and even 4 or so Dinomancers without much trouble. Just throw up Insight, WoG yourself every once in a while, and if Puncture gets out of hand, bubble it off.

The full-grown direhorns and t-rexes though... Ouch.

Finaika

I understand you completely.

Our raiding schedule is ~3 hours a night, 3 nights a week. It's starting to wear me down, and I need more sleep. I also can't play on the weekends (except maybe sunday evening) but that's it - the only time I have is when I get home from work monday to thursday.

It sucks, but if you just can't adjust to the schedule, then it's prolly time to leave.

Raids are time killers anyways.

McNei1y

I understand you completely.

Our raiding schedule is ~3 hours a night, 3 nights a week. It's starting to wear me down, and I need more sleep. I also can't play on the weekends (except maybe sunday evening) but that's it - the only time I have is when I get home from work monday to thursday.

It sucks, but if you just can't adjust to the schedule, then it's prolly time to leave.

Raids are time killers anyways.

I always enjoy raiding everytime I go back to it each expansion. And the 3 hour raids were fine and manageable and all that... but this whole new content push just changed the aspect of our guild. We're still fun and immature (lol) and all the members are cool, but there's just that desire to do more when I can't find the time for it.

After awhile, I want to do other things with those 4 hours. I would really like to adjust but I don't think that's even possible with this guild. It sucks because one of my good friends IRL is in there and it's fun to raid with him so I probably won't join another guild. Quitting is probably a silly thing to do now since my temp job is going to finish at the end of March so I would pretty much have "all the time in the world" until I'm employed again... but Baseball season is coming around and I loved the flexibility of going out and watching the games (which would occur during raid time).

I'll think this one through since I like both options (staying and raiding or using that time for whatever else).

I never really got why people go mental doing 4 hours raiding 3 times a week (or more)
Get home at 6pm and 4 hours puts you at 10pm without eating,showering or well doing anything else. Also like you say it gets in the way of doing anything else.

Also with raiding it allways seems you have to be in the "A Team" and if you have a break or whatever you are knocked down to reserve just for wanting to have abit of flexibility with you life.
One of the driving reasons for me dumping WoW last time was because of that need to be on top or your out of raiding alltogether.

Bizazedo

Really? I took on a Direhorn Hatchling as a 475 Ret Paladin and it was only a few hits before I was dead.

As the other poster said, it's probably gear related. Did you buy the new 522 tank piece from Shado-Pan? Only 1250 valor.

I could solo them at 491 ilvl as well and now I am at 495 ilvl, so it just gets easier (the young ones..again, the big big guys are different).

I finally had a semi-decent LFR run in endless terrace. No sha weapon, but i got tier shoulders and helm, plus a duplicate pair of boots that i disenchanted. Now if I can just replace my blue leggings.

Does anyone know if the shado-pan assault rep doesn't work when you do your first LFD? I treid it yesterday and i dont think i got any gains for it. Was gonna try again this morning, but if it doesn't work i might as well work on finishing my anglers rep.

You can't gain rep for Shado-Pan Assault via the daily boost of the dungeon finder. You could on PTR, but they took it away.

MUCH LIKE THE ENGINEERING ITEMS / MOUNT :(.

McNei1y

Progressing and striving to be one of the best is really fun but the four hours and the stress to be as best as you can is the downside. That's why I liked when we were "casual" and we didn't really stress the importance of getting rep and such unless you had time. But with the slate wiped clean and with the new content coming out, our guild took a complete 180 into a 'hardcore' mentality.

For example, I was playing SCII with some people Monday night around 8-9 and the raid leader messages me on Real ID and starts to ask me questions about my rep and progress with Wrathion and what my valor cap is. He then says I should start farming heroics so I can get valor capped. I just told him no and went back to what I was doing but the fact that it was even brought up was annoying. I need to schedule everything around it.

Robin64

Don't have the 522 neck yet (spent my VP before the patch on upgrading my Sha weapon), but I got 350 VP yesterday, so it won't be long before I do. I'll give them a go later, it was late and I forgot about Insight. How silly.

Bit of ret advice here please: I got the talent Eternal Flame because I thought the HoT component would be quite yummy. But do you guys use Selfless Healer instead?

You can't gain rep for Shado-Pan Assault via the daily boost of the dungeon finder. You could on PTR, but they took it away.

MUCH LIKE THE ENGINEERING ITEMS / MOUNT :(.
Ah well that's rotten luck. It's massively misleading when it lets you select the faction and then once you've started the heroic you can't go back and change it. Fail.

Sciz

And endless old-school MMO grind, forced to be a in a group?

It's a big playground full of incredibly dangerous things where I can go have the thrill of surviving by the skin of my teeth and still get something out of it. The only thing comparable is soloing Cata raids, and all you get out of those is a little cash and ugly transmog gear.

Tearing through it in a group is fun, but it's actually less efficient than just rounding three or four hatchlings up myself and going to town.

(protip: queue up your favorite dinosaur-themed music and leave it on loop)

ZenaxPure

The Human racial is the only thing that ever tempted me to become Alliance.

It's da best rest racial.

Also holy poop, just woke up and got into a pet battle only to see that the xp reward is the same, was not expecting this to last through the night, going from 86 to 87 on my Shaman in like 40 minutes while just standing in Stormwind felt so wrong but so amazing.

Hoplatee

Have they commented on the pet battle XP at all?

In short, will it last until I get home?

I don't know. But in those 250 years I have never been banned and this stuff always gets hotfixed pretty much right away so I am not sure if it is 'intended' or not. Probably not but I don't think they will ban you for life for it or something.

Even if they ban me it would be what, 3 days or something. In that time I would not have 2 new 85's :p

Bizazedo

I don't know. But in those 250 years I have never been banned and this stuff always gets hotfixed pretty much right away so I am not sure if it is 'intended' or not. Probably not but I don't think they will ban you for life for it or something.

Even if they ban me it would be what, 3 days or something. In that time I would not have 2 new 85's :p

Or maybe they look at it as a way to encourage people to get hooked on pet battles?

Hoplatee

Or maybe they look at it as a way to encourage people to get hooked on pet battles?

I can't imagine them wanting to give that much experience for it though. You are looking at 3 to 5 battles for a level early on.

Leveling up like this is really boring though so I can imagine them letting people do this if they want. People who do this probably have (some) 90's already and just want to get to Pandatime asap.

cdyhybrid

So a few weeks ago I complained about the raid times my guild had instated after transferring over (which I had no clue about). It seems like it's 3 1/2 hours a night unless we're pushing for new content - in that case it's 4 hours. The past few weeks has been 4 hours because of ToT as well as trying to get as much Heroic content out of the way.

Anyway, I've given it a try and I don't think I can do it. 3 1/2-4 hours is way too much time a night that I want to spend on raiding. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just one or two nights but three nights is pushing it. I mean 12 hours of just sitting at my computer feels like too much. Plus, 4 out of 7 of the hours I have after work is already taken up so I don't have much time to do anything else. Also, people expect me to do dailies and farm rep which adds another hour or two to the time spent on the game a day. That feels like a second job. The downside to all of this is that we're a "new guild" (by transferring on the server) so all we really have is the core. I've had to arrive late here and there (by like 20 minutes) to the raids and people get antsy. I don't want to just straight up leave since they don't have anyone else that is tuned for it in the raid but I don't want to also get in the way. Next week, I have to tell my guild that I am not going to be able to raid on that Tuesday unless they don't mind starting 2 hours late because I have a work function that I am required to be at that night. I think I'm going to use that excuse to segue into going on hiatus for awhile.

I really enjoy this content so far and I want to be there as we progress since progression in raiding has always been my favorite thing. But the time we spend three times a week is just too much. We've slowly become a very good casual guild to a hardcore guild. One of the guys I've been cool with for a few years (introduced him to the guild) has slowly developed into the Raid Leader. He keeps telling me to farm heroics and stuff but I just don't have time for that before raids. And then on the weekends, I don't mind doing that stuff, but I'm usually out or somewhere else so I don't even have an opportunity then.

This is pretty much the exact reason for every break/extended break I've taken. I want to see the content but I don't have the time or energy to devote to stay on the raiding A-team. I've been really happy with the LFR.

I finally had a semi-decent LFR run in endless terrace. No sha weapon, but i got tier shoulders and helm, plus a duplicate pair of boots that i disenchanted. Now if I can just replace my blue leggings.

Does anyone know if the shado-pan assault rep doesn't work when you do your first LFD? I treid it yesterday and i dont think i got any gains for it. Was gonna try again this morning, but if it doesn't work i might as well work on finishing my anglers rep.

I blew a coin yesterday and got my 2h staff off Tsulong or whatever his name is, but no set pieces *shakes fist*

I have two gloves (DPS and tank set) sitting in my bank but nothing to pair with either of them. Plus. I've already killed every LFR boss until next week :(

For example, I was playing SCII with some people Monday night around 8-9 and the raid leader messages me on Real ID and starts to ask me questions about my rep and progress with Wrathion and what my valor cap is. He then says I should start farming heroics so I can get valor capped. I just told him no and went back to what I was doing but the fact that it was even brought up was annoying. I need to schedule everything around it.

Blizzard REALLY needs to implement "appear offline."

Also holy poop, just woke up and got into a pet battle only to see that the xp reward is the same, was not expecting this to last through the night, going from 86 to 87 on my Shaman in like 40 minutes while just standing in Stormwind felt so wrong but so amazing.

Can someone please explain how to do this? That link is blocked at my work. I want to level an alt from 85-89 this way!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Progressing and striving to be one of the best is really fun but the four hours and the stress to be as best as you can is the downside. That's why I liked when we were "casual" and we didn't really stress the importance of getting rep and such unless you had time. But with the slate wiped clean and with the new content coming out, our guild took a complete 180 into a 'hardcore' mentality.

It's like a fucking job. That's hilarious.

Bizazedo

I blew a coin yesterday and got my 2h staff off Tsulong or whatever his name is, but no set pieces *shakes fist*

I have two gloves (DPS and tank set) sitting in my bank but nothing to pair with either of them. Plus. I've already killed every LFR boss until next week :(

I got like 10 Elder Coins on Isle of Thunder this week (so far, but probably that'll be it).

You could probably do somethin similar and run the LFR's again.

cdyhybrid

I got like 10 Elder Coins on Isle of Thunder this week (so far, but probably that'll be it).

You could probably do somethin similar and run the LFR's again.

Do those drop in the box you get from the last daily? Done them both days so far and haven't gotten anything.

ZenaxPure

I can't imagine them wanting to give that much experience for it though. You are looking at 3 to 5 battles for a level early on.

Leveling up like this is really boring though so I can imagine them letting people do this if they want. People who do this probably have (some) 90's already and just want to get to Pandatime asap.

For me I am just tired of going though Pandaria. I think it's an excellent questing experience and the Dread Wastes in particular is one of my favorite zones to quest in as a whole, but, I've done it 5 times now and even though it's a fun time it's so sloowwwwwwww. The lack of even a single heirloom sucks so much, personally, I am just looking for the fastest way to level.

Bizazedo

Do those drop in the box you get from the last daily? Done them both days so far and haven't gotten anything.

They can (I think?), but they also drop from Treasure Trove chests (both on the island and in the scenario) and rare / summoned mob kills.

Maybe not the rares, but def summoned mob boxes.

I don't know how often you can get the item to get the summoned mobs, though. I've only gotten one so far.

It's official... I can no longer bitch and moan about LFR. Just picked up my tier legs and now have the 4-piece bonus. I love that you can now get more than just 3 elder coins per week and that you can use them as often as you want. Much better solution to the previous limit of 3 per week. Now if I can just get the sha caster sword or staff ill be set until the new raid in a week.
Has nothing to do with the +rep from dungeon finder, but thanks :).

The Human racial is the only thing that ever tempted me to become Alliance.

It's da best rest racial.

The human racial is a bit OP imo. Doesn't really make any sense a class should get a non-combat, special increase in rep bonus while no other class does. That and paladins getting to ride faster than everyone else has always irked me ;)

You and i have the opposite problem, lol.

profit

So a few weeks ago I complained about the raid times my guild had instated after transferring over (which I had no clue about). It seems like it's 3 1/2 hours a night unless we're pushing for new content - in that case it's 4 hours. The past few weeks has been 4 hours because of ToT as well as trying to get as much Heroic content out of the way.

Anyway, I've given it a try and I don't think I can do it. 3 1/2-4 hours is way too much time a night that I want to spend on raiding. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just one or two nights but three nights is pushing it. I mean 12 hours of just sitting at my computer feels like too much. Plus, 4 out of 7 of the hours I have after work is already taken up so I don't have much time to do anything else. Also, people expect me to do dailies and farm rep which adds another hour or two to the time spent on the game a day. That feels like a second job. The downside to all of this is that we're a "new guild" (by transferring on the server) so all we really have is the core. I've had to arrive late here and there (by like 20 minutes) to the raids and people get antsy. I don't want to just straight up leave since they don't have anyone else that is tuned for it in the raid but I don't want to also get in the way. Next week, I have to tell my guild that I am not going to be able to raid on that Tuesday unless they don't mind starting 2 hours late because I have a work function that I am required to be at that night. I think I'm going to use that excuse to segue into going on hiatus for awhile.

I really enjoy this content so far and I want to be there as we progress since progression in raiding has always been my favorite thing. But the time we spend three times a week is just too much. We've slowly become a very good casual guild to a hardcore guild. One of the guys I've been cool with for a few years (introduced him to the guild) has slowly developed into the Raid Leader. He keeps telling me to farm heroics and stuff but I just don't have time for that before raids. And then on the weekends, I don't mind doing that stuff, but I'm usually out or somewhere else so I don't even have an opportunity then.
Why not just tell the truth? I mean, youre an adult, and adults just have a lot of obligations that are more important then raiding...
I hear you on loving progression raiding, I would love to find a guild where I can do it, I just dont have the time for it. Sometimes Im just thinking of starting my own guild for the working folk who take raiding serious for one or two nights a week, but ultimately just do it to relax and have a good time!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I got six from just an item that dropped that summoned an easy to solo elite + a random box sitting around the island. I then got another 8 from the Key I got off a rare.

Arsin

So I got my sacrificial dagger off the rare last night. I am pretty excited to cause some wipes during out run through HoF tonight.

We should be putting sometime in on ToT tonight and I am hoping we can get the second boss down. What should our 10 man group iLv be around before we should be able to take him down. Most of us are in HoF/Terrace normal gear.

Thanks for the AoE looting tip, had to use that a few times yesterday. Saved me some frustration, for sure.

Robin64

Haha. Levelling my mage around the well in Stormwind. Pet battles are all spawned before I even finish one. No downtime at all.

Did the 30% I needed of 86 to 87 in 12 minutes.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Did 79-89 on an alt hunter. Never had a max level alt before ever since launch day. i'm so happy this pet battle thing was found.

McNei1y

It's like a fucking job. That's hilarious.

At this point it really is. I've always been against that notion because I always found the time and didn't mind it. But it has become job-like.

Why not just tell the truth? I mean, youre an adult, and adults just have a lot of obligations that are more important then raiding...
I hear you on loving progression raiding, I would love to find a guild where I can do it, I just dont have the time for it. Sometimes Im just thinking of starting my own guild for the working folk who take raiding serious for one or two nights a week, but ultimately just do it to relax and have a good time!

I'm definitely going to tell the truth. I wasn't planning on bsing or beating around the bush. I just think the real reason for posting here and "ranting" is because I also don't want to stop raiding. I just wish they could revolve around MY time instead of the other way around... but that just sounds straight up selfish. Once I tell them, I'll feel good that I'm "free" but I'm definitely going to be bummed a week or two later when my IRL friend mentions that they downed Lei-Shen and that the DPS that replaced me is getting geared out and much better. lol

Tarazet

Don't have the 522 neck yet (spent my VP before the patch on upgrading my Sha weapon), but I got 350 VP yesterday, so it won't be long before I do. I'll give them a go later, it was late and I forgot about Insight. How silly.

Bit of ret advice here please: I got the talent Eternal Flame because I thought the HoT component would be quite yummy. But do you guys use Selfless Healer instead?

Sacred Shield is where it's at.

Bizazedo

I'm definitely going to tell the truth. I wasn't planning on bsing or beating around the bush. I just think the real reason for posting here and "ranting" is because I also don't want to stop raiding. I just wish they could revolve around MY time instead of the other way around... but that just sounds straight up selfish. Once I tell them, I'll feel good that I'm "free" but I'm definitely going to be bummed a week or two later when my IRL friend mentions that they downed Lei-Shen and that the DPS that replaced me is getting geared out and much better. lol

Just sounds like you need a more casual guild, honestly, but one that still raids.

Like mine is very laid back. Too laid back for me, honestly, which is why progression isn't to where I'd like it (how the hell hard is it to avoid tornadoes on Blade Lord final phase? Come the F ON!)....I'm by far the most hardcore in the guild. Still, I'm older now and it's nice to be able to not show up occasionally, so I stay.

So it comes down to a choice as to what's most important to you, really. And honestly? Blizzard, at least in the prior raids and IMO, tuned enrage timers too tightly so a lot of the guilds that weren't driven...suffered. Especially 10 mans, you can't really carry people as easily there as in 25.

It's just up to you whether you'd have been happy say not having cleared or BARELY cleared even Normal Heart of Fear by the time 5.2 dropped.

Robin64

Haha yeah it's awesome eh?

I was worried it'd get hotfixed.

It is awesome, but it will surely get hotfixed. It's just.. insane. Why ever level normally now?

Hit 89 without even realising it, I was just chatting on Skype. Now off to Townlong and Dread Wastes to finish up.

My method:

Level 6 Turqouise Turtle, with Headbutt. Instant kill a level 1 Critter.
Hang around the well in mage district of Stormwind, loads of pets, no down time at all.
Kill, kill, kill.
(Don't forget the Faire buff, too)

My method:

Level 6 Turqouise Turtle, with Headbutt. Instant kill a level 1 Critter.
Hang around the well in mage district of Stormwind, loads of pets, no down time at all.
Kill, kill, kill.
(Don't forget the Faire buff, too)

Sounds awesome, hope they don't hotfix it anytime soon. Thanks!

But how do you prevent your level 6 from leveling up?

TimeKillr

That's the problem, though.

If you raid one night a week, you ain't gonna progress. 2 nights is kinda pushing it, too.

Took me 20 minutes to get 25% of a level @ 85 in the Mage quarters @ Stormwind, I was sharing the area with a 56 Hunter who have the better area, so I probably could've gone 30% in that time.

That Hunter went from Level 56 to level 60 in the same 20 minutes, shit is nuts lol.

I'm sorry I doubted this method. In one hour I got from 85 to 86(+28%) in Stormwind. Madness.

Tomboy

Neo Member
Anyone have suggestions for a good place to do this rapid leveling via pet battles on Horde side? Count me in with those hoping it lasts until I get home in a few hours.

RPGCrazied

So the Zandalari Warbringers aren't tap faction kill? I helped a couple from my faction kill it, it dropped jack. I'm guessing its only for the world bosses and the new isle of thunder?

Bizazedo

So the Zandalari Warbringers aren't tap faction kill? I helped a couple from my faction kill it, it dropped jack. I'm guessing its only for the world bosses and the new isle of thunder?

Correct. They're also the true targets to hunt, imo, due to the limits on drops on the Isle.

RPGCrazied

Correct. They're also the true targets to hunt, imo, due to the limits on drops on the Isle.

Nice to know. I can't solo them, lol. I guess ask the guild. But I just want the mount, but I notice the sunreaver offensive has one at exalted you can get. Might as well just wait for that one.

Hoplatee

With my luck there's no way this lasts until I get home.

I am starting to believe it is not getting fixed. This would have been hotfixed the minute it became known and it has almost been two days now so...

If it is not hotfixed then I do wonder why they do allow it though. They have done it with way less 'breaking' things before. Won't know for sure until tomorrow.

Hoplatee

After some experience with this exploit, how long do you guys think it would take to level from 85-89?

Depends on how many people are doing it. If alone in Stormwind near Cath (5 rats spawning non stop close together) I'd say a hour or 2/3 or so. This is with all Heirlooms and Darkmoon Faire buff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom