• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enosh

lfr was good to me this week on my paladin, something like 10 items total (2 of which weren't upgrades), guess that's due to the increased drop rate, with the 522 neck got me to 481 now, can do ToT next week on it ^^

Have you guys heard of Monkey Runs?

Replacing a quest grind with a camp grind doesn't really address the problem facing a fresh level 90 alt in this game. The catchup mechanic we're supposed to use is to cap our main's valor for the week first (ugh) then we can begin an accelerated VP grind on the alt. Get a Guo Lai Key on your main? Too bad the rep items you get from that are character-bound. Get a tome of valor on Isle? Too bad it's character-bound. 600 bonus rep per instance/scenario run is nice but there's still the problem of gating the useful, freshly-inexpensive rewards behind Revered with Golden Lotus.

It's awful and I don't envy anybody not in a level 25 guild trying to get some enjoyment out of their alts in this environment. It's too much work by far.

Slayerx

Doesn't usually happen to me but I had Thunder Isle music stuck in my head all day at work yesterday :S I don't want to be hardcore addicted anymore though.

ch0mp

Nah, it's a real problem. Like you mention it's not a big deal while leveling up but it baffles me how there is not a proper roll system for 5 mans. Clearly based on LFR the game can detect what loot you can use for your spec and assign it properly so it confuses me how at the minimum, max level dungeons don't employ something similar. I had more than 1 case of tanks stealing my plate DPS loot last week as I was gearing up my Paladin, it's pretty annoying.
The LFR bonus roll from cata would work so well in 5 mans. Loot for you main spec? +100 to your roll. So simple. The only other thing I would like to see is no need rolls if you already have it.

Berordn

My egg hatched!

wowscrnshot_030913_00j2ulp.png

Raptors: trolls best friend no longer.

Westlo

Replacing a quest grind with a camp grind doesn't really address the problem facing a fresh level 90 alt in this game. The catchup mechanic we're supposed to use is to cap our main's valor for the week first (ugh) then we can begin an accelerated VP grind on the alt. Get a Guo Lai Key on your main? Too bad the rep items you get from that are character-bound. Get a tome of valor on Isle? Too bad it's character-bound. 600 bonus rep per instance/scenario run is nice but there's still the problem of gating the useful, freshly-inexpensive rewards behind Revered with Golden Lotus.

It's awful and I don't envy anybody not in a level 25 guild trying to get some enjoyment out of their alts in this environment. It's too much work by far.

Unless your alt needs something rep locked for a profession (like golden lotus enchanting, klaxxi belt buckle etc) do we even need to bother with the 5.0 reps anymore?

Non gated 522 neck for 1.25 weeks worth of valor.
Crafted Blue PvP sets ilevel 458
Honor Epic PvP gear ilevel 476
Ilevel 496 and 476 crafted gear will take a nosedive in price due to the crashing of Blood Spirits, if you're rich you can buy 2 crafted 522 items eventually.
Droprate increase in LFR, gold bags also having a chance of gear (I got a 476 trinket for my warrior in HoF last night)
Elder Charms all over the place meaning you can double your loot chances on every 5.0 boss.
Galleon being available for everyone with his 496 gear

My 89 Paladin (thank you based pet battles) I'm not even going to bother with any rep aside from Klaxxi for the belt buckles. And considering how competitive that market is on Frostmourne, it's not exactly something I'm going to rush.
Only a matter of time before Sha 2.0 becomes a loot pinata.

Tamanon

Banned
Also, just doing the new dailies gets you a 476 belt at Honored for gold, doesn't even coust Valor Points!

If you've gotten Klaxxi to revered on your main, you'll hit revered just questing there from 89-90 also.

Westlo

Also, just doing the new dailies gets you a 476 belt at Honored for gold, doesn't even coust Valor Points!

If you've gotten Klaxxi to revered on your main, you'll hit revered just questing there from 89-90 also.

And Sha gives you 476 epic boots for first kill, does Sha 2.0 do something similar? And yeah that's the plan for my Paladin alt, get to revered on my Mage and after knocking over the 4 MOP leveling dungeons I'll level the rest of the way to 90 in Dread Wastes.

I really don't see the point in any valor gear from 5.0/5.1 at the moment, should be justice gear in 5.3 or 5.4 period.

ZenaxPure

Also to pile on a bit about rep.... 5.2 made it such a joke. Just from killing a few scouts TODAY my warlock currently has 24,000 (roughly) Klaxxi rep sitting in his bags. Rep for alts is a complete joke now, it's pretty funny.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Also to pile on a bit about rep.... 5.2 made it such a joke. Just from killing a few scouts TODAY my warlock currently has 24,000 (roughly) Klaxxi rep sitting in his bags. Rep for alts is a complete joke now, it's pretty funny.

What am i missing? I haven't really followed all the 5.2 stuff. I really hate grinding those 5.0 factions again.

Bizazedo

Well, two things...one, I was asking about monkey runs because the person was saying it took awhile to level up. Monkey runs are the quickest way that I know of. Obvious problem is it requires friends or something like OQUEUE to find a group, but w/e.

And two, your complaints about VP have been weakened considerably by how trivial it is to get rep.

And the Warscouts respawn time is something crazy like 5 minutes so anyone complaining about 5.0 reps elicits a sigh from me at this point.

Tarazet

I've found myself completely uninspired to do the new dailies. They're so long and boring that I actually prefer to do the same old dungeon and scenario to get the bonus rep.

ZenaxPure

Warscouts are in every zone with a coast (so no Valley/Vale) and spawn at a specific spot (there is a map on mmoc). The trolls drop 1-3 random 1k rep tokens that are BOA with the 5.0 reps (these scale, so guild + double = 2200 rep per 1 token).

There are 2 types, Warbringers, and Warscouts. Warbringers have 21 mil HP and can be soloed by Tanks and anyone that is good at kiting, otherwise 2 (good players) needed. The Warscouts have around 6 mil HP and are soloable by anyone. Also worth noting the scouts are quite literally scouts and will wander around most of the zone if you don't catch them at their spawn, I found one walking through a clearing in the middle of Jade Forest despite the fact they spawn near the north coast. Warbringers seem to always drop 3 tokens and the scouts most commonly only drop one, but, I have gotten multiple from a scout before.

The scouts have a VERY fast respawn timer and don't even seem to share it with the next spawn to some degree, I straight up saw 3 different Scouts walking around in Kun-Lai earlier.

Westlo

How have people gone with loot bags? Think I've done Terrance twice (mage + warrior) and the last half of HoF and received 2 drops out of 11 kills. so out of 9 loot bags...

7x Gold
1x Gold + Jade Warlord Figurine Trinket
1x Gold + Potion of Jade Serpent

cdyhybrid

How have people gone with loot bags? Think I've done Terrance twice (mage + warrior) and the last half of HoF and received 2 drops out of 11 kills. so out of 9 loot bags...

7x Gold

Did all the available LFRs and didn't get a single item out of bags. I'm probably the most unlucky person on the planet though.

ZenaxPure

I've had absolutely nothing but gold in my loot bags so far, but, it's mostly because I have actually been getting gear. Did MSV and HoF on my paladin, got 4 items in MSV, and 3 in HoF, got some stuff with extra rolls too. I can't complain for him.

Warlock on the other hand.... Entire MSV and HoF (he had 0 elder charms because I forgot to grab them) and all he got was a cape which I already had better from the vp vendor. I am pretty sure my warlock is broke, been doing MSV on him for about a month and a half now and I have gotten 2 items, one of which wasn't even useful.

Hoplatee

Wow. So I upgraded two heirlooms so they would last me through 85 and I expected them to scale just as well well as the previous levels. The first level was garbage (as usual) but I figured it would be better the level after that. Nope. They don't seem to improve at all (barely) but you will just get the XP bonus. I know you use them for the XP buff mostly but I expected them to give some proper stats as well. Think my blue has around 3 times as much stats as the Heirloom item now.

It is the only thing to really waste JP on but so far it feels pretty damn 'meh' considering what you have to pay for them.

I've found myself completely uninspired to do the new dailies. They're so long and boring that I actually prefer to do the same old dungeon and scenario to get the bonus rep.

Yeah. This was my conclusion after day 1 already when I had to do it on 2 chars. Didn't like it one bit and I am happy enough to do it just with the daily / scen rep. I do have to do stuff there for some coins though.

As for the loot bags / improved drop rates - I didn't notice any change. The bad luck goes on. :p

Rokam

I really hope Blizzard does something about people taunting the Warbringers to try and reset. I say just ban any asshole that does it, fuck em. Any time I see someone doing it I'll jump down and help kill the mob quickly, snaring & stunning.

ZenaxPure

I am not sure if they will add flying in the next xpac or not but really it won't matter too much since the xp will be nerfed and you will probably go from 85 to 90 in like 2 zones.

MedIC86

So i havent played since the end of cataclysm, how is the state of the game? i heard the scenario's were fun. But is it still the usual gear grind at 90 ?

ZenaxPure

So i havent played since the end of cataclysm, how is the state of the game? i heard the scenario's were fun. But is it still the usual gear grind at 90 ?

There is without a doubt more to do in WoW now than there has ever been, as for a gear grind it's certainly there but it's not the ONLY thing in the entire game anymore like Cataclysm. I don't even raid on my main (outside of LFR) but I can easily dump 5+ hours a night in MoP just doing random crap.

Will you enjoy it or not I don't know, but, MoP is the opposite of Cata in every way imaginable.

Rokam

I just want to finish my damn museum, but archaeology is being a bitch. Have both of the new rare Mantid items, but can't get a pristine proc to save my life. I don't care that it doesn't even give a title this time, I must have it complete!

ZenaxPure

I just want to finish my damn museum, but archaeology is being a bitch. Have both of the new rare Mantid items, but can't get a pristine proc to save my life. I don't care that it doesn't even give a title this time, I must have it complete!

So crazy lol, I have only gotten 5 items for my display, just haven't made time to do a bunch of arch. It's pretty high on my list to do because Animal Crossing but for now I've just been getting 1 artifact a day from the daily.

I kinda wish they would roll the old arch into the museum somehow just because I am looking for a really good excuse to go get my bug mount finally but I really dread doing arch on Kalimdor as an Alliance man.

Oh edit: since we're on the topic of arch that reminded me about Lorewalker Cho. For anyone that enjoyed the other Lorewalker stuff there is a few new achievements on the Isle of Thunder that reward those story time cutscenes back in the arch building. Can't get all of them until your server progresses further into the isle but I believe you can get at least 1 of them right now.

Ripclawe

Banned
so starting back in wow, should I skip the tiller, operation sheidwall parts and jump right to isle of thunder? or makes no difference?

ZenaxPure

Holy crap, my satchel from the dailies today had a feast, 2 rep insignias, a ritual stone, and a Key. I think that is like every single thing you can even get out of those bags.

My egg hatched!

Raptors: trolls best friend no longer.

I didn't even realize they added eggs till you made this post, had to go look it up. Man I really need to get my DK or Hunter to 90 so I can hopefully solo the bigger dinosaurs on the island. Also, glad to see someone rockin' the best Mage tier.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Warscouts are in every zone with a coast (so no Valley/Vale) and spawn at a specific spot (there is a map on mmoc). The trolls drop 1-3 random 1k rep tokens that are BOA with the 5.0 reps (these scale, so guild + double = 2200 rep per 1 token).

There are 2 types, Warbringers, and Warscouts. Warbringers have 21 mil HP and can be soloed by Tanks and anyone that is good at kiting, otherwise 2 (good players) needed. The Warscouts have around 6 mil HP and are soloable by anyone. Also worth noting the scouts are quite literally scouts and will wander around most of the zone if you don't catch them at their spawn, I found one walking through a clearing in the middle of Jade Forest despite the fact they spawn near the north coast. Warbringers seem to always drop 3 tokens and the scouts most commonly only drop one, but, I have gotten multiple from a scout before.

The scouts have a VERY fast respawn timer and don't even seem to share it with the next spawn to some degree, I straight up saw 3 different Scouts walking around in Kun-Lai earlier.

6 millions HP doesn't sound very soloable, unless they barely hurt you and they just take a long time to kill.

Tarazet

7x Gold

I've done horrible so far. Not even any drops using coins on 4 bosses of MV normal.

Tamanon

Banned
so starting back in wow, should I skip the tiller, operation sheidwall parts and jump right to isle of thunder? or makes no difference?

Tiller's super easy to level up and you'll want your farm to gather materials/motes/reputation. I'd do that one at least. Shieldwall you can probably skip, although it might be nice to break up the monotony now and again.

Green fire is the best. I resubbed a few weeks ago pretty much cause I heard it would be in 5.2 and now that resubbing is fully vindicated.
Did you finish the questline already? I'm stuck on the last stage and have no motivation to try to get through it. It stinks that affliction/destro locks seem to have an easier time with it since I've been playing demo for the last 2 years. Do I really have to switch specs just to finish the green fire scenario?

Ultratech

Maybe old hat to some, but my hunter, finally, managed to track down and tame Patrannache today.

Feels good, man.

Grats! It's really a bitch to find since it paths all over the damn zone.

That, and its tracks tend to be really hard to see.

I still don't have it yet. :(

Oh edit: since we're on the topic of arch that reminded me about Lorewalker Cho. For anyone that enjoyed the other Lorewalker stuff there is a few new achievements on the Isle of Thunder that reward those story time cutscenes back in the arch building. Can't get all of them until your server progresses further into the isle but I believe you can get at least 1 of them right now.

I noticed this. Think I've found two so far. I know one's up in the building with all the Mogu around channeling the statues. Another one's in the Ruins.

6 millions HP doesn't sound very soloable, unless they barely hurt you and they just take a long time to kill.

They're soloable, but you have to pay attention to the abilities they have (marked by buffs).
Otherwise, they can wreck you.

Like the spirit for instance, if it has that, it'll summon a Spirit with about 3 mil HP that will wreck you if hits you. (It tore up my Pet Tank pretty good.) Luckily, it despawns after a bit.

I'd love to kill some Warbringers, but people keep killing them every chance I attempt to go after them. They're hardly ever up, which is surprising given how dead my server is.

Jrmint

So are the elder charms supposed to be dropping off of quest mobs on Thunder Isle? Bc I've done the dailies about 4 times now and haven't had a single one drop. Am I just unlucky or what?

Trickster

So are the elder charms supposed to be dropping off of quest mobs on Thunder Isle? Bc I've done the dailies about 4 times now and haven't had a single one drop. Am I just unlucky or what?

Don't think they drop off the normal mobs in the isle, but there are chests and special mobs that I think are able to drop them, you can also get a shit ton if you do that solo scenario where you can loot chests non stop for 5 minutes. Got 14 charms doing that scenario yesterday on my mage.

Don't think they drop off the normal mobs in the isle, but there are chests and special mobs that I think are able to drop them, you can also get a shit ton if you do that solo scenario where you can loot chests non stop for 5 minutes. Got 14 charms doing that scenario yesterday on my mage.
Yeah, I absolutely love that we can stock up on elder charms once per week, or more if you're lucky enough to get a key of another mob. And then you can also purchase some random consumable items from the vendor on the boat with them. When I first did the scenario, i didn't even try to get to the end. Next time I'll see how far I can get. I guess the last boss drops a chest key, and then an npc at the end also gives a key. Is that correct?

Since I cant level anymore on the trail so I went pet hunting instead!
Managed to bag loads of random crap ones but also the darkmoon crow, firefly and also got the petrodactlyl from the fossils
I then while doing that did abit of fishing in the pools around darkmoon and up popped the turtle mount!

Not bad!

I didn't even realize they added eggs till you made this post, had to go look it up. Man I really need to get my DK or Hunter to 90 so I can hopefully solo the bigger dinosaurs on the island. Also, glad to see someone rockin' the best Mage tier.
Where do you get the eggs from? I've always wanted a raptor mount.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Where do I kill these warscouts? Solo able? Warrior/Mage?

They're easy enough. Just run away from the ghost and avoid the thunder clap thing.

Where do you get the eggs from? I've always wanted a raptor mount.

Isle of Giants north of Kun'lai. They drop eggs that hatch in three days.

Yeah, I absolutely love that we can stock up on elder charms once per week, or more if you're lucky enough to get a key of another mob. And then you can also purchase some random consumable items from the vendor on the boat with them. When I first did the scenario, i didn't even try to get to the end. Next time I'll see how far I can get. I guess the last boss drops a chest key, and then an npc at the end also gives a key. Is that correct?

I got the Key on the first day of doing the dailies for all of my alts. It's not that hard to find. If your main goal in the treasure run is Elder Charms, you get a ton just opening all the chests you see. You get a lot more gold and such by getting to the Golden Chests though.

They're easy enough. Just run away from the ghost and avoid the thunder clap thing.

Isle of Giants north of Kun'lai. They drop eggs that hatch in three days.

I got the Key on the first day of doing the dailies for all of my alts. It's not that hard to find. If your main goal in the treasure run is Elder Charms, you get a ton just opening all the chests you see. You get a lot more gold and such by getting to the Golden Chests though.
Sheesh.. Somehow I missed that Isle of Giants is a separate place than Isle of Thunder. I kept wondering where hunters were getting their triceratops pets and why there seemed to be a load of new dinosaur companions on the ah but i hadn't seen a single drop. Chalk another derp moment to me. I'll check out the zone tonight. I'd also like to do the world boss. Does anyone know what the spawn timer is on it? Are looking at Sha that is up most of the time, or pre 5.2 patch galleon that i only saw once ever in 2 months of playing.

Berordn

Sheesh.. Somehow I missed that Isle of Giants is a separate place than Isle of Thunder. I kept wondering where hunters were getting their triceratops pets and why there seemed to be a load of new dinosaur companions on the ah but i hadn't seen a single drop. Chalk another derp moment to me. I'll check out the zone tonight. I'd also like to do the world boss. Does anyone know what the spawn timer is on it? Are looking at Sha that is up most of the time, or pre 5.2 patch galleon that i only saw once ever in 2 months of playing.

Oondasta hasn't spawned yet on my server, so I'd assume it's close to Galleon levels, if not worse.

It is also, by all accounts, not an easy boss to deal with. The mechanics make it sound like C'thun 2.0.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oondasta hasn't spawned yet on my server, so I'd assume it's close to Galleon levels, if not worse.

It is also, by all accounts, not an easy boss to deal with. The mechanics make it sound like C'thun 2.0.

Just get like 120 players. I've heard of a lot of realms needing 150.

ZenaxPure

Well, they take a couple minutes to kill, but this is the point of the rare spawns in MoP and why I love them so much. The rare spawns are all about using attacks that deal extremely high damage but are avoidable. The original level 91 batch in Vale of Eternal Blossoms all had around 4 million HP. They can be zerged by multiple people of course but they also serve as fun challenges if you're alone.

As it's been said, but to reiterate, the Warscouts are like any other MoP rare spawn. Their normal attack doesn't hit hard but they have 3 random abilities (from a pool of 6 or so) that they use. All of them can be stopped by stuns/incapacitates for the most part but none of them are that hard to deal with if you don't stop them. Meteors rain from the sky that kill you if you get hit by one, a ghost that melees for like 150k will SLOWLY chase you, low HP adds spawn that need to be AOEd, stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom