• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultratech

Bah, according to this, they plan on hotfixing Oondasta and Nalak so people not on their home realm can't get loot (thus nixing the whole idea of a Cross-Realm raid to take 'em down anymore).

Guess he's gonna be even harder to take down now.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Bah, according to this, they plan on hotfixing Oondasta and Nalak so people not on their home realm can't get loot (thus nixing the whole idea of a Cross-Realm raid to take 'em down anymore).

Typical Blizzard, ruining fun! :(

Westlo

Went to do Galleon on my mage, saw a swarm of alliance, logged onto my alliance paladin alt, got 496 chest while 89! If I ever get around to leveling my alliance 72 hunter and druid (dat RAF) I'll make sure I get a Galleon kill every week.

Totalriot

This means I will never be able to kill him, as I am on a horde low pop server. Yesterday three raid groups from three or four different servers where able to zerg him down. Everyone involved said it was great fun.

For the last weeks we even had to use CRZ for getting a Sha group together so Oondasta will be out of reach forwever.

Why kill the only good feature of CRZ, Blizzard?

Wow, I finally played this game. When did it come out? 2004? Got the starter edition, made a blood mage elf and got up to level 10 today. All the quests in the starter area are either kill some monsters, kill a boss, or get some items (either from monster's body or from an area with monsters) and sometimes "go to this person in a new area, who will then give you one of the preceding types of quests." One unique quest I got was to pick up some party items for some guy, one of which is in a city that I can't even get into for a while. And outside the city there's guards that give directions for stuff in the city but you can't enter the city that way. So weird.

There's not that many people. I assume because 9 years after the release of the game there aren't that many low level characters left.

I'm thinking the mage kind of sucks solo. If any more than 1 monster gets close to me then I'm in bad shape. I can pick off monsters 1 at a time with that spell that does damage and slows them down, but usually when more than 2 monsters get near me I die unless I run away successfully.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Wow, I finally played this game. When did it come out? 2004? Got the starter edition, made a blood mage elf and got up to level 10 today. All the quests in the starter area are either kill some monsters, kill a boss, or get some items (either from monster's body or from an area with monsters) and sometimes "go to this person in a new area, who will then give you one of the preceding types of quests." One unique quest I got was to pick up some party items for some guy, one of which is in a city that I can't even get into for a while. And outside the city there's guards that give directions for stuff in the city but you can't enter the city that way. So weird.

There's not that many people. I assume because 9 years after the release of the game there aren't that many low level characters left.

I'm thinking the mage kind of sucks solo. If any more than 1 monster gets close to me then I'm in bad shape. I can pick off monsters 1 at a time with that spell that does damage and slows them down, but usually when more than 2 monsters get near me I die unless I run away successfully.

You made a blood elf, so it's not surprising that you feel there isn't many people. It's the oldest content in the game and people would rather lvl in the zones that were updated in Cataclysm, which is like every other races that isn't a blood elf or draenei. You'll also see more varied kind of quests in these zones. Sure there is still the old "kill 10 enemies or gather 6 items", but some quests have new stuff to keep things interesting that you won't see in the blood elf starting zones.

Mage is very very good at soloing, you just need to unlock more spells as you lvl up, and you'll be near invincible, especially if you go frost.

lordmrw

I am. I only do LFR now so between that and faction items its my only source of upgrades. I sometimes miss doing normal raids but at the same time I don't miss the dedicated time slots and was never a fan of progression raiding. I was competitive in terms of DPS so in that regard it sucks knowing that there's a ceiling I won't be able to pass due to gear. I think I'll try to squeeze in a few normal runs for old times sake when my guild decides to give it a go.

Wubby

I think I'm finally done with the game now. Everyone I used to play with from TBC and WOTLK has quit. The remnants of the guild have xfered off.

I'm stuck on US-Tortheldrin which is ranked 8th from the bottom with a supposed population of 500 something according to wowprogress (it's much lower in reality). And I'm not about to spend ridiculous amounts of money to xfer my characters off just to start over on some other realm.

If they ever introduce a full account move (all 10 characters for $25 or so) I may come back. Till then though the accounts are cancelled.

Tarazet

"Stability issues?" Hire a god damned network admin who knows what he's doing.

Berordn

So, apparently no new 5 mans planned for Mists... lame

On the one hand yeah, it does suck. On the other, it's not like these dungeons do anything but exist as catchup for a short time, overshadowing every other dungeon in the expansion for as long as they've got the best gear. If it means they're keeping their attention on the raids and 5.4 has another giant tier, I'm all for that. LFR means everyone benefits from big raid tiers and scenarios can fill the void of story progression that dungeons used to.

So finally got a chance to play last night, and I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing. I did my Coin turn-in and got Mogu stuff instead of the old coins, then picked up the breadcrumb quest and the Halfhill war effort parts, queued LFR on ToS, and then headed over to new area. Ran ToS, got out, ran the Jaina solo scenario thing, completed that, went to the cave, and now I have to collect rare stones? Do you just run around killing stuff on the island until you find some? The area was packed last night, looked like people were camping a few spawn areas, too.

Guessing I just need to get into some quest/rare kill groups and hang out and get the feel for things?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So, apparently no new 5 mans planned for Mists... lame.

To be honest, i get so much valor points from dailies and LFR that I barely need to enter heroics to max my weekly cap. Hell, i still do that one heroic and scenario everyday since 5.2 launched because of the extra 500 rep, so there's no point to go further than that.

But heroics are laughable now with my well geared frost mage. Nothing last long when you do 90k DPS or 150-200K in big AOE situations. :lol

Although, i do hate Blizzard for making my Elemental's Freeze spell worthless against bosses and tougher elites. No more free Fingers of Frost. :mad:

Tamanon

Banned
So finally got a chance to play last night, and I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing. I did my Coin turn-in and got Mogu stuff instead of the old coins, then picked up the breadcrumb quest and the Halfhill war effort parts, queued LFR on ToS, and then headed over to new area. Ran ToS, got out, ran the Jaina solo scenario thing, completed that, went to the cave, and now I have to collect rare stones? Do you just run around killing stuff on the island until you find some? The area was packed last night, looked like people were camping a few spawn areas, too.

Guessing I just need to get into some quest/rare kill groups and hang out and get the feel for things?

The stones are drops from rare mobs, but the most common way to get them is through the cache of treasures you get after completing the dailies or through the chests lying around the island.

The stones are drops from rare mobs, but the most common way to get them is through the cache of treasures you get after completing the dailies or through the chests lying around the island.

Hm, I must have completely missed the dailies, are they on the island?

Although, i do hate Blizzard for making my Elemental's Freeze spell worthless against bosses and tougher elites. No more free Fingers of Frost. :mad:

They nerfed shadow priest mind spike instant cast to no longer buff mind blast cast time, it's only the non-instant cast :(. Sad panda.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is anybody excited for tomorrow's LFR?
I can see it now:

"OMG the realms are up!!!! Gotta get home and log in so I can run the first few bosses of that new LFR OMG this is gonna be GREAT!"

*logs in*

*Average Queue Time: 48 min.*

=/

When you teleport to the island, it drops you on a boat. There, you should be able to pick up the Daily Breadcrumbs to the three daily locations.

I'm not sure what's going on or this is related to island progress, but instead of just heading straight for the dailies I got a solo scenario where I ran around killing trolls with Sylvanas's sister when I headed there on my rogue last night and then all the dailies were in a different part of the zone rather than the original boat. Or was that scenario just a part of the island I randomly missed with my other two characters?

Is anybody excited for tomorrow's LFR?

The bridge should be interesting.
Watching people explode the raid a hundred times per Jin'rokh attempt should be fun.
Watching people not dps adds during Horridon should be fun, as will watching them stand in everything on the ground.

Wait, did I say fun?
Ugh.

Man who cares, even if they had written it for you to see. If people want to get achievements in scenarios and dungeons, they should actually get a group together for it, not just join dungeon finder and expect people to wanna spend time doing achievements. Those people are the worst.

I'll help somebody get an achievement if they need it. No real reason to be an asshole to them.

Tamanon

Banned
I can see it now:

"OMG the realms are up!!!! Gotta get home and log in so I can run the first few bosses of that new LFR OMG this is gonna be GREAT!"

*logs in*

*Average Queue Time: 48 min.*

=/

I'm not sure what's going on or this is related to island progress, but instead of just heading straight for the dailies I got a solo scenario where I ran around killing trolls with Sylvanas's sister when I headed there on my rogue last night and then all the dailies were in a different part of the zone rather than the original boat. Or was that scenario just a part of the island I randomly missed with my other two characters?

That's weird, I actually never had the Jaina solo scenario, I flew to the boat the first time and that's where my hub was. I wonder if it depends on something else...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's weird, I actually never had the Jaina solo scenario, I flew to the boat the first time and that's where my hub was. I wonder if it depends on something else...

I'm thinking we got to Stage 2 in the progress bar because all of my dailies are now on this random island in the corner (plus I got that option for a PvP or PvE option off of a map Jaina was reading) but I used to just collect them on the boat.

Edit: Yeah, when you get to Stage 2 you open the actual islands where you get the dailies as opposed to just the stupid boat; I hope I'm not actually required to run the scneario on each characdter just to demolish Nalak.

Ultratech

Isle Stage Progression.

Seems like there's a scenario for each stage you'll have to do eventually.

Deliverance

Neo Member
Guys, I'm thinking about resubbing and I have to purchase Pandaria. I've seen it cheap in some webs selling keys... Do you think I'll get into trouble for getting the expansion there? 35 euros is way too much...

New LFR or HotS campaign?! Uggghhhh why do I have to sleep?
Does the new LFR start today? I got up and did a whole bunch of chores around my place and tried to time it so I'd be done when servers were back up. Denied! lol Last night I started the 2nd part of the Isle of Thunder dailies and did the solo scenario. It was alright. I'm ready to start collecting more elder charms this week.

Also, I've been trying to figure out ways to solo the larger mobs on isle of the giants and I don't think it's possible with either my gear, or perhaps my demo spec. According the wowhead, the drop rate for the eggs is much better on the young primal devilsaurs over the diresaur hatchlings (1.8% instead of .3%), so I've been working on those in and around where oondasta spawns. Or maybe those aren't farmed as much and result in skewed numbers. But I can't kill any of the full 8-9 million health mobs on my own. My pet gets worked and then i get worked.

cdyhybrid

Does the new LFR start today? I got up and did a whole bunch of chores around my place and tried to time it so I'd be done when servers were back up. Denied! lol Last night I started the 2nd part of the Isle of Thunder dailies and did the solo scenario. It was alright. I'm ready to start collecting more elder charms this week.

Also, I've been trying to figure out ways to solo the larger mobs on isle of the giants and I don't think it's possible with either my gear, or perhaps my demo spec. According the wowhead, the drop rate for the eggs is much better on the young primal devilsaurs over the diresaur hatchlings (1.8% instead of .3%), so I've been working on those in and around where oondasta spawns. Or maybe those aren't farmed as much and result in skewed numbers. But I can't kill any of the full 8-9 million health mobs on my own. My pet gets worked and then i get worked.

I think it's only the first 3 bosses this week but yeah.

I think it's only the first 3 bosses this week but yeah.
Nice. I look forward to earning some shado-pan assault rep. Checked the loot tables on the first three bosses and it looks like only the last boss has anything I'd really want for cloth dps. But that's fine. All in good time. My only serious regret is not being able to upgrade my sha-touched weapon. I really think blizz should have left the voidbinders in game, but made it so anything beyond 5.1 cannot be upgraded. It's a much more intelligent approach rather than to say, "hey it's cool that other people got to upgrade all their stuff before you did, but too bad for the rest. Suckers!" Or at least that is how the decision comes off to me.

ZenaxPure

Like Ultratech points out, it's island progression that determines it. If your server is still on stage 1 then your dailies will come from the boat. Once the server is done with stage 1 you do a scenario that moves the story along and then the daily hub becomes the 2 small islands off the coast of the main island. Sunreaver at the west and Kirin Tor at the east.

Also, I've been trying to figure out ways to solo the larger mobs on isle of the giants and I don't think it's possible with either my gear, or perhaps my demo spec.

Well, gear is certainly a factor, but, those big dinosaurs are meant for a group. They are certainly not impossible to solo with the right gear/spec/class, but, just keep in mind it was intended to farm them in a group.

They nerfed shadow priest mind spike instant cast to no longer buff mind blast cast time, it's only the non-instant cast :(. Sad panda.

This was actually to make the rotation smoother, and personally I am fan of it. What happened before was if you had a Divine Insight buff and 2 stacks of the mindspike buff Mind Blast would use the 2 stacks of mindspike over DI and you would be forced to wait for the cooldown to finish before being able to use the DI proc. Now you can actually 100% of the time use the DI proc which means a chance at another DI proc. The gain (if you are even using DI anyway) is you get a shit ton more instant cast MBs than you ever did before.

Tarazet

Nice. I look forward to earning some shado-pan assault rep. Checked the loot tables on the first three bosses and it looks like only the last boss has anything I'd really want for cloth dps. But that's fine. All in good time. My only serious regret is not being able to upgrade my sha-touched weapon. I really think blizz should have left the voidbinders in game, but made it so anything beyond 5.1 cannot be upgraded. It's a much more intelligent approach rather than to say, "hey it's cool that other people got to upgrade all their stuff before you did, but too bad for the rest. Suckers!" Or at least that is how the decision comes off to me.

Anyone who got a Sha-Touched weapon in 5.1 will most likely not be replacing it soon. Even as a tank, the +500 main stat is just too tasty.

Anyone who got a Sha-Touched weapon in 5.1 will most likely not be replacing it soon. Even as a tank, the +500 main stat is just too tasty.

Playing with it in my spreadsheets it's not so cut and dried for dps, particularly dual wielders and most particularly if you did not upgrade your weapons with VP before the patch.

Robin64

Not feeling the IoT dailies like I did the Dominance Offensive ones.
There are too many of them, the rewards are crap and the zone is drab.

Slayerx

If you don't like the dailies, you only need to do a single daily every day for full contribution to the unlock (which is good I guess).

Berordn

Not feeling the IoT dailies like I did the Dominance Offensive ones.
There are too many of them, the rewards are crap and the zone is drab.

I adore the zone, but the dailies feel a lot like Golden Lotus, if only because of how its split up between random questing areas again. Maybe they'll get better when we're not doing Court of Bones so often.

Rokam

Managed to clear LFR just before restart, had to chain pull like crazy and killed the last boss with a minute left. Good times, figures the only loot I get is a neck which I already have the 522. Oh well fights were stupid easy, and I like that :p. Tanked the adds on Horridon as a DPS, because one of the tanks wasn't too bright.

Well I had a good first run of LFR. Got into a good group with intelligent people, many who have run it already on normal, and we only wiped once, on the last boss. After wiping, we downed it no problem and i only brez'd one dead dps with a SS. Got tier 15 conqueror token for hands. And now I'm friendly with shado-pan assault.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to do about my trinkets? I'm gonna purchase Volatile Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault, but should I switch out Relic of Yu'lon or Essence of Terror, both of which are upgraded 2/2? Not sure if the 20 seconds of 6121 haste on essence of terror is really better than 3027 intellect for 15 seconds on relic of yulon.

And lastly, King's Defender is hilarious on a gnome lock! Now that i got a caster sword, i can play around with all the different tanking sword transmogs available. This should be fun.
kings_defender_zpsc4101c66.jpg

Another beginner question: Is there any point to buying stuff at the shops? They all sell crap or stuff that is maybe 1 point better than what you have. Why do I accumulate money when there is nothing to buy? The only thing I've seen that is worth buying so far is mounts. Do trainers cost money also?

Another beginner question: Is there any point to buying stuff at the shops? They all sell crap or stuff that is maybe 1 point better than what you have. Why do I accumulate money when there is nothing to buy? The only thing I've seen that is worth buying so far is mounts. Do trainers cost money also?

Other than mounts, not really. Money is pretty much exclusively for use at the AH in buying mats for professions and buying the product of other professions. Exceptions are pets and the occasional BoE rare/epic. And some minor sinks like repairs of course.

Otherwise quests and dungeons/raids will provide all the gear you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom