• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the headless mount, shame its ugly.

So why did they add so many new ground mounts if you can just fly? Or is that a more recent patch introduction?

Also semi related but how come I have 78 mounts when I log into my ally char but only 48
on my horde?
I was under the impression faction mounts that arnt unique (wolf/horse etc) count as 1?
Maybe im missing something.

For alts, battlegrounds, instances, zones where flying isn't allowed like Tol Barad or Isle of Thunder.

Ohhhhh yeah! forgot its all account wide now. Those all make more sense! I thought they were trying to move away from flying in genreal due to how everyone just well.. flys and so you avoid other people on PvP servers etc.

At first I blew off Anglers because I wasn't really a mount person (even though I have over 100 of them). But holy crap the water walking bug is AMAZING for alts that can't fly yet.

And honestly, even in areas I can fly, I'll still pull out ground mounts. I heart my yaks so bad. I run them around Org all the time.

Tarazet

At first I blew off Anglers because I wasn't really a mount person (even though I have over 100 of them). But holy crap the water walking bug is AMAZING for alts that can't fly yet.

And honestly, even in areas I can fly, I'll still pull out ground mounts. I heart my yaks so bad. I run them around Org all the time.

It's hard not to be a bat all the time, which is why I'm glad they introduced content where ground mounts are required. You can even use them in ToT! I got Rivendare's Deathcharger out of a satchel a couple months ago, so I've been using that ever since. If there's water, well.. whale form > water strider, but the camera can be a problem.

WoW froze up on me, ambient sound persisted...could not alt+tab, could not end task...finally it all crashed but I'm scared to open it again.

Last time this happened I got BSOD and had to system restore. What could cause a crash like this and anyone have any advice? I ran a full scan with Malware Bytes and ran the WoW repair tool already.

edit: apparently battle.net crashed shortly afterward, but wouldn't that normally just kick me to the title screen instead of crashing the entire client?

Berordn

WoW froze up on me, ambient sound persisted...could not alt+tab, could not end task...finally it all crashed but I'm scared to open it again.

Last time this happened I got BSOD and had to system restore. What could cause a crash like this and anyone have any advice? I ran a full scan with Malware Bytes and ran the WoW repair tool already.

edit: apparently battle.net crashed shortly afterward, but wouldn't that normally just kick me to the title screen instead of crashing the entire client?

Not always. Depending on what's going on at the time the client may be waiting for a server response in order to do anything which can lead to massive instability if it goes long enough without something.

ZenaxPure

So this morning I was so caught up in my routine of doing isle of thunder dailies that i didn't even realize i had hit revered with the kirin tor before turning in 2-3 more quests.

I won't lie, the crazy part about this new rep is that those commendations you get are BOA. I have been funneling all of them from my other characters to my rogue and he is currently 13k through revered with Kirin Tor (and I have not been doing the daily dungeon for rep because I'd rather gouge my eyes than que for a 5 man as a dps). Few more treasure runs on my alts and a few days of dailies and my rogue will finally be riding around on a sweet dinosaur mount.

Also semi related but how come I have 78 mounts when I log into my ally char but only 48
on my horde?
I was under the impression faction mounts that arnt unique (wolf/horse etc) count as 1?
Maybe im missing something.

There's no logic to it man. Or at least the most I can find is that the SUPER HARD/EXPENSIVE to obtain faction mounts (like the Traveler's Tundra mount or motorcycle) work on both factions. But then you have stuff like the Argent Tourney mounts where none of those are cross faction EXCEPT for the sunreaver/silver covenant mounts.

It's a weird system.

TimeKillr

So I'm leveling a Monk these days, because well my main has nothing to do but raiding and the ToT dailies.

I've come to despise CRZ with a passion.

Why is it that all of a sudden the zones are fucking full of idiots? I understand the want of "not feeling alone in the world" but god damn, I'm going through the first BC zone, and as if that wasn't boring enough, there's like 30 people in the same area doing the same quests, so it just sloooooooooooooows it down to a crawl. And the BC dungeons aren't long enough to award enough XP, so it's not worth queuing for them either... ugh.

Tamanon

Banned
So I'm leveling a Monk these days, because well my main has nothing to do but raiding and the ToT dailies.

I've come to despise CRZ with a passion.

Why is it that all of a sudden the zones are fucking full of idiots? I understand the want of "not feeling alone in the world" but god damn, I'm going through the first BC zone, and as if that wasn't boring enough, there's like 30 people in the same area doing the same quests, so it just sloooooooooooooows it down to a crawl. And the BC dungeons aren't long enough to award enough XP, so it's not worth queuing for them either... ugh.

? The BC dungeons are great XP, at least the first time through. The quests given in them are worth it, you can usually knock out almost a full level per dungeon from 60-66.

TimeKillr

? The BC dungeons are great XP, at least the first time through. The quests given in them are worth it, you can usually knock out almost a full level per dungeon from 60-66.

The first time through, yeah, but grinding them is another thing altogether. :(

Not to mention for some reason if I queue as healing it takes forever to get in, which is very strange.

Tamanon

Banned
That is odd, might be because of the monk influx. I remember Outland being the first time I started actually getting a wait as a tank, especially since so many fresh DKs want to tank. Healer was insta-queue for 60-68 on my last one.

Hoplatee

Did the LFR today. I kind of enjoyed it. It is funny to see so many people rage after 1 wipe. I do dislike the amount of trash in there so I hope that will be a bit less in the next wings.

Also did the first boss in a pug. Yeah, the difference is gigantic but still killed it after 30 minutes. Was pretty fun.

I still don't like the decision of splitting it into 4 wings because that means 4 long queues. It is not bad for a healer but I kind of feel sorry for DPS. I imagine that it will be pretty harsh once everyone has done it a few times.

Hoplatee

I would like it to be in as well. I always signed in 'show offline' on my messenger clients. If I wanted to talk to someone without people bothering me if I wasn't ind the mood for it I could just talk with them that way.

I know, MMO blabla but that does not mean I always want to talk to everyone on my list.

e) Mostly because I am a healer and often get asked to help out to make their queues less terrible and so on. Sometimes I just am not in the mood for people asking that.

Did the LFR today. I kind of enjoyed it. It is funny to see so many people rage after 1 wipe. I do dislike the amount of trash in there so I hope that will be a bit less in the next wings.

Also did the first boss in a pug. Yeah, the difference is gigantic but still killed it after 30 minutes. Was pretty fun.

I still don't like the decision of splitting it into 4 wings because that means 4 long queues. It is not bad for a healer but I kind of feel sorry for DPS. I imagine that it will be pretty harsh once everyone has done it a few times.

I'm a DPS. Waited 50 minutes last night just to fail at Horridon, and another 50 today, but we got it done. Seeing the entirety of the Horridon fight gives me optimism for the fight on normal. He just MELTS apart once all four doors are down, it doesn't even seem fair.

AGREED on the trash. Considering you're not getting rep on any of it, there's just way, waaaaaay too much trash in that first wing right now. They need to tone it down, the bridge by itself is more than enough.

ZenaxPure

There isn't THATTT much trash, feels about what I'd expect from a raid of this size to be honest. Feels about on par with Ulduar and ICC.

Makes more sense for non-lfr raids though as there is an absurdly high amount of trash drops in this tier.

Got my first primal egg just now. I've been killing the young primal devilsaurs around oondasta's spawn area. It'll probably turn into something lame like yoke, but hopefully not. fingers crossed tightly.

Tamanon

Banned
Alright, first time doing the second half of MSV in LFR. My system did not like the Elegon fight at all, stuttering, followed by me apparently missing a notice about the platform disappearing and dying. At least I got Starshatter and some melee legs for my DK. Won't have to go back in there for LFR.

Sciz

Got my first primal egg just now. I've been killing the young primal devilsaurs around oondasta's spawn area. It'll probably turn into something lame like yoke, but hopefully not. fingers crossed tightly.

They're guaranteed to be one of three colors of raptor mount (you want black).

Hoplatee

Is there any reason to bother with Kirin Tor dailies other than uh... Items I have no use for (way below my ILVL now) and mounts/pets/vanity items and stuff I don't care about?

Asking this because I feel like I might be missing something completely. I know about the loot scenario but even that seems a bit eh... I don't know, not really rewarding if you aren't after any of those things? It is the only way to get the old extra roll coins isn't it? Or does it reward you with lots of Lesser Charms which would make it worthwhile to me since I will be out of Lesser Charms in a week or 3? (I know dailies give lesser charms :p)

I am not complaining or anything but I wonder if there is just something important that I am missing. I did enjoy the dailies for what it's worth. I know I will be there a lot when my new char reaches 90 (mage / hunter, whatever I continue).

e) after 100 edits this posts is in somewhat decent English!

Is there any reason to bother with Kirin Tor Dailies other than uh... Items I have no use for and mounts/pets and stuff I don't care about?

Asking this because I feel like I might be missing something completely. I know about the loot scenario but even that seems a bit eh... I don't know, not really rewarding if you aren't after any of those things? It is the only way to get the old extra roll coins isn't it?

I am not complaining or anything but I wonder if there is just something important that I am missing. I did enjoy the dailies for what it's worth. I know I will be there a lot when my new char reaches 90 (mage / hunter, whatever I continue).

A mount.

I'm pretty disapointed with the whole Isle of Thunder layout. As far as gameplay goes it's solid enough, but you're not even getting any major story significance (so far). I wanna know what's going on with the Horde and the Alliance.

With Shieldwall you got story satisfaction AND upgrades. It's weird to me that Kirin Tor stuff doesn't at least give you 506 ilevel gear.

Berordn

A mount.

I'm pretty disapointed with the whole Isle of Thunder layout. As far as gameplay goes it's solid enough, but you're not even getting any major story significance (so far). I wanna know what's going on with the Horde and the Alliance.

With Shieldwall you got story satisfaction AND upgrades. It's weird to me that Kirin Tor stuff doesn't at least give you 506 ilevel gear.

The Thunder King is the plot of 5.2 and that's what the story revolves around (with small hints about the Titans and the next expansion). The odd numbered patches are where we're seeing the war (and coup of Orgrimmar) come into full swing.

And all the raid-level gear's in the Shadow-Pan Assault hidey-hole, which you can get rep for from LFR and raiding. Saves Blizzard the trouble of having to deal with people feeling required to do dailies.

The Thunder King is the plot of 5.2 and that's what the story revolves around (with small hints about the Titans and the next expansion). The odd numbered patches are where we're seeing the war (and coup of Orgrimmar) come into full swing.

And all the raid-level gear's in the Shadow-Pan Assault hidey-hole, which you can get rep for from LFR and raiding. Saves Blizzard the trouble of having to deal with people feeling required to do dailies.

I understand that, but it's not impossible to do both things at once. Considering that both factions representitives on the Isle are a direct result of what happened in 5.1, there's no reason we could have gotten more background on the lore and the story as it pertains to the Alliance and the Horde as well as getting the background you described.

With that said, yes, what I'm looking for is coming in 5.3.

In regards to the gear, I'm referring to the Kirin Tor faction rewards. The stuff you're fighting is tougher than the stuff you get via Shieldwall/DO, it seems like it would be an increase in power, as well. Questing for more 496 gear seems silly considering they just did that.

cdyhybrid

Can't wait until these rep grinds are done. Jade Serpent done, Klaxxi, Sunreavers, Tillers, Anglers all Revered. I come home, hop on, and by the time I finish all my dailies it's time to go to sleep ;-;

Rokam

Something to keep in mind is that 5.1 and 5.2 were being developed by different teams, I think they realize now that 5.1's daily quests and storyline are the way to go.

Something to keep in mind is that 5.1 and 5.2 were being developed by different teams, I think they realize now that 5.1's daily quests and storyline are the way to go.

I wasn't aware of that, but it makes a lot of sense. 5.2 seems like a farther departure of what we saw so far in MoP in general. It has more of an old school vibe. And that's totally okay, but I was really digging what they did in 5.1 to make the daily grind more bearable. It's cool to not have to be a raid hero and actually feel like you're taking part in the storyline. Plus you got upgrades!

ZenaxPure

I understand that, but it's not impossible to do both things at once.

In regards to the gear.....

I wish there was a bit more story stuff myself. It seems like we will get a story scenario each new stage of the island and for what it's worth I enjoyed the first one enough, light on story but it was meant to be more of an intro than anything else and gameplay-wise I enjoyed it more than what we were doing last patch. That said, it's a lot slower to progress than last patch since it's based entirely on server progress as opposed to individual progress, but, I guess I am ok with it considering all the other stuff part of this patch as well.

I guess the other thing to keep in mind though, even though the 2 patches were made by different teams they still have the same creative leads. I think the reason they didn't go with as much story this time has more to do with them wanting to create another server wide effort like AQ or Sunwell. I am alright with that too since I find the concept of a whole lot of people working together cool, but, the first stage unlock is fairly underwhelming in the grand scheme. The other stages with the thunder forge and Nalak look cooler though.

In regards to the gear.....

Sadly it is as Berordn says, 496 is pretty much as high as they can go without people raging about dailies being necessary to raid. If it was like 500 you can guarantee people (probably some even in this thread) would be bitching about being "required" to do them so they can progress through ToT.

I'm curious what they have in store for us in 5.3

Me too! If anyone hasn't listened to the ghostcrawler interview from today it's out there in the wild now. For people that don't want to listen, imo, there is only 2 things to really note:

1) GC said that people are probably going to be surprised at how fast 5.3 comes. Another interview a few days ago also said that it will probably take most servers about 6 weeks to finish every stage of the island, so, I am guessing this will be another 2 month patch like 5.1. Though, I guess I don't personally find that very "surprising", just makes sense to me.

2) Sounds like proving grounds evolved into a big project. He said if it makes it into the game he wants it to serve 2 purposes. One, obviously, is the ability to teach players how to play their role. If someone went 90 levels as a DPS while questing they can do that to learn the basics of healing or tanking (or even proper DPS in a raid setting). The other goal is to have something like the Brawler's Guild except for every spec, they would like to create a thing that can be done for skill so you can go "hey, i'm the best fucking healer bitch, check me out". He was pretty vague on WHAT the actual content would be, but, just that he wanted to convey similar feelings of the brawler's guild for roles other than DPS.

Rokam

I really hope they end up putting in Cross Realm AH's. I'd like to roll an ally on Mal'Ganis for shits and giggles, but there's jackshit on the AH so if I want enchants, bags, gold, etc. I'd have to use the Neutral AH. Yuck. Or give a way to transfer between factions on the same account for a cost.

And exalted with Sunreavers hooray, the alliance version of the mount is terrible.

Jade and Slate direhorn mounts down, amber to go. Now if only I could easily tell the difference between amber and slate, it'd make farming these rares so much quicker. Oh, and my primordial egg will hatch today, fingers crossed it's a pretty raptor and the next egg drops nice and quickly.

The Zandalari Warbringers really bring out the worst in people. So much dick-waving when it comes to getting the tag. There was a blood DK telling everyone how amazing he was at soloing these guys last night and sure enough he got the tag. Everyone flew off to the next spawn and left him to fight it, but just before I got out of range of the Warbringer I noticed his health pop back up to full. Turned around and flew back, looked like the DK ate a couple of meteors and got feared into the path of a ghost (judging by the warbringer's skills and how quickly he died). I took the tag and spent the next 5 minutes or so getting spammed with invites from the DK.

Right after I killed it and caught up with the whispers of abuse he'd given me I decided to mess with him a bit. I used a rep token to make my character look like he'd learned a mount and got on my slate direhorn in front of him.

strafer

World of Warcraft Beta

Bruggsman writes- (he's a WoW beta tester, the My concerns thread)

First I would like to say that World of Warcraft is an excellent game in many ways. I have some concerns about this game. The golden era of mmorpg's is simply over. All the new mmorpg's in development has the same goal. That is to make the game as "newbie" friendly as possible and static. There is really little costumization in all new mmorpg's. They try to prevent power-leveling, kill stealing, griefing. No risk or chance and give you always success.

WoW is in many ways a long singleplayer campaign. Until you get to highter lvls. You can solo almost everything in this game besides instances and elite quests.

The main goal about wow is to make thing better, and blizzard did that pretty well. But the game is pretty much static as you go up in lvls only numbers change, the gameplay doesn't really change beside instances. You can still solo everything, it is still the same collecting X amount for Y person questing. The game doesn't get harder as you go futher in levels. Monsters grow in size, more damage is dealt but still the same thing.

We've already seen 2/3 of the game and the world. Blizzard has now 6 month to finish rest of the game and make end game fun and addictive. Things doesn't look to bright in my opinion. With the delay of the next push really explain that blizzard is behind. The delay simply means less hi-end content because they need to release the game before X-mas. It is going to be interesting to see if Blizzard can live up to there high expectation.

Here is some things I'm already really concerned about. And im not here to beat a dead horse down, but being realistic. I hope blizzard has alot in the upcoming patch :)

We can take an example with Stats in world of warcraft. You earn skill points and you have almost unlimited of them, you will simply always cap them all. So in fact there is absolutely no points in having Stats in this game. Only minor factors has impact on stats like buffs and alchemy.

The World is simply to small, why because there is 40 zones in the game and we have 25 zones completed already. This leave 15 zones for the high-end game. And with 6 month to release there is no way Blizzard could polish more then that before release. It is 100% gurantee that Northrend and Outland will not be ready for release. Blizzard do 3-4 zones a month so the calculation is simple, 15 zones total more. This would give us approx 2-4 lvl 60+ zones.

Currently we have a few instances Dungeons and with 6 month left I would say Blizzard would be able to have circa 15 instance dungeons for release. This leave us again to 2-4 lvl 60+ dungeons.

Almost every item in WoW is currently really static and limited. And with the upcoming auction houses it would be even easier to get your "king's sword of haste" so everyone would run around with the same sword. This game simply lacking of times and item properties.

Questing in WoW, this is fun, but its only fun first time!!! Doing 1000's of quest to get to lvl 60 again will be a pain, and since you cant power-level in WoW or play 16 hrs a day to lvl it would get boring.

Resting system, this is not really to try prevent hardcore gamers to lvl slower but it's newbie/casual gamer love. Since most of the customers is Casual players this is a nice move. But with the currently design it is impossible to powerlevel/twink in WoW since the game is completely quest driven. This is the worst move ever. Because this leave you to "the first char I got to lvl 60" stuck forever.

Many gamers love to make new chars as they play and the game change in balance. But will you do the same 1000's quest over again? As all other games when you first have one high-lvl char it always easy to make a second char. This will not be as easy in WoW.

Monsters: I haven't even seen more then 50 monsters. In almost all zones there is dogs aka "wolfs", murlocs, birds, spiders, gnolls and beside that you did good job on reuse the Race chars for mobs. This game lack on monsters hardly there is even more monsters in TFT.

Within a month we've already completeled 2/3 of the game. The game is simply to easy.

Brugs

Funny read.

1) GC said that people are probably going to be surprised at how fast 5.3 comes. Another interview a few days ago also said that it will probably take most servers about 6 weeks to finish every stage of the island, so, I am guessing this will be another 2 month patch like 5.1. Though, I guess I don't personally find that very "surprising", just makes sense to me.

2) Sounds like proving grounds evolved into a big project. He said if it makes it into the game he wants it to serve 2 purposes. One, obviously, is the ability to teach players how to play their role. If someone went 90 levels as a DPS while questing they can do that to learn the basics of healing or tanking (or even proper DPS in a raid setting). The other goal is to have something like the Brawler's Guild except for every spec, they would like to create a thing that can be done for skill so you can go "hey, i'm the best fucking healer bitch, check me out". He was pretty vague on WHAT the actual content would be, but, just that he wanted to convey similar feelings of the brawler's guild for roles other than DPS.
Intriguing. I consider myself the best demo lock player in the game, so yeah i'm ready for that 2nd point.
yeah totally joking lol

RPGCrazied

Can't log in after yet another small patch. "can't validate game version" Man this 5.2 patch fucked things almost to unplayability.

FYI...

New Free Character Moves are now available. If you're on one of the source realms listed below, you can move your characters to one of the designated destination realms and avoid the queues -- for free!

By initiating one of these transfers, you will be moving your character to a new realm and home. This is a one-time, one-way move. If you wish to move your character elsewhere, you will need to use the paid transfer service.

Tichondrius-> Blackrock
Illidan -> Mannoroth
Stormrage -> Trollbane

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/9089785

Not sure how many people in here are on any of those but worth noting if you want to bail out.

I feel like there has to be an issue with the cross server stuff affecting lag. Specially after that incident my guild had with Feng attacking on both our server's image and the PUG's server resulting in getting hit twice. They did fix that particular issue but I'm just wondering if when they added more content, they ultimately made the game a little more unstable to support it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is it like, everything is fine for a while then the FPS totally tanks until you basically freeze, and then comes back to normal? I thought that was just my crappy computer lol

Nope, that's everyone.

Rokam

Doubled my RAM today on this shitty computer, went from taking 5-10 minutes to completely exit WoW and computer to not run like shit, to be able to do it instantly. Success, that was the most annoying shit ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom