• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

I'm guessing the new progression plan with no new "catch up" dungeons is as follows:

Raid Tier 1 LFR
Raid Tier 2 LFR
Latest Raid Tier LFR
Latest Raid Tier Normal
Latest Raid Tier Heroic

Is that about right?

If so, I'm definitely liking that plan more. I don't like having to skip a lot of raid content to catapult myself into the latest and greatest (I never saw Firelands, for example).

Crafted gear keeps dropping in price, so you might be able to skip a few of the early steps too. I do like that LFR keeps the zones somewhat relevant at least.

VandalD

Finally beat Kanrethad. Got my green fire. So proud.
Thanks. Been out of the game too long to associate item levels in any useful capacity.
Oh, I see. I wasn't sure if I was misunderstanding your question. You could, maybe, skip out on LFR and eventually go straight to 5.2, but it'd be a lot slower than getting drops from 5.0 and 5.1 LFR content, to more fully answer your question. It's as you think, for the most part, with the only catch up mechanic being increased drop rates for older raids.

The one thing to catch up on that's really bad is the legendary questline. I guess I could have helped myself and done some trade 10 man or guild alt run to finish off the Sigils but I was sitting on over 10 wisdoms and not enough power for so long just running LFR. Only got the 6000 VP quest this week.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The one thing to catch up on that's really bad is the legendary questline. I guess I could have helped myself and done some trade 10 man or guild alt run to finish off the Sigils but I was sitting on over 10 wisdoms and not enough power for so long just running LFR. Only got the 6000 VP quest this week.

I have no intent of ever doing that. Despite the fact that "everyone" will be able to get a legendary at the end, its fucking absurd because it requires you to grind the fuck out of things for the ENTIRE EXPANSION vs. old legendaries which only required you to grind the fuck out of things for a single patch.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I have no intent of ever doing that. Despite the fact that "everyone" will be able to get a legendary at the end, its fucking absurd because it requires you to grind the fuck out of things for the ENTIRE EXPANSION vs. old legendaries which only required you to grind the fuck out of things for a single patch.

It's not like you have any real extra effort to do that anyway really. Everyone is going to earn 6k Valor points eventually, quest or not, and everyone is going to get those 10 medals by simply doing raids, no matter the versions. And you get all the Black Prince rep you need by doing dailies. Really, it's just a matter of having the quests in your log and continuing your business as usual. So far anyway.

TimeKillr

I'm guessing the new progression plan with no new "catch up" dungeons is as follows:

Raid Tier 1 LFR
Raid Tier 2 LFR
Latest Raid Tier LFR
Latest Raid Tier Normal
Latest Raid Tier Heroic

Is that about right?

If so, I'm definitely liking that plan more. I don't like having to skip a lot of raid content to catapult myself into the latest and greatest (I never saw Firelands, for example).

Well, it's kinda crappy, though. I understand the appeal of running old raids and stuff, but there's a problem in that

1- You'll have less people running them, so it'll take far longer to get into one
2- When you do manage to get into one, people will bitch that you're underperforming or
3- You'll run into a raid where nobody knows mechanics, you'll wipe on every boss or so at least once, and then it'll be really, REALLY sucky.

Seriously, LFR as a difficulty is interesting, but there are important problems with them, most notably that as people gear up, there's no reason to go back - at this current tier, you get more VP/hour doing heroics than LFR (much, MUCH more). If you're DPS it's worth it to chain run scenarios, too.

I'm a tank. I get insta-queue into Heroics. I can solo most of them without any trouble if I'm careful, so when I have a semi-competent healer, I can just chain pull everything. It's pretty ridiculous that you can do that when you get to the 2nd tier of raiding (and even then I could do it within the end of the first tier). First heroic of the day gives me 80VP, subsequent runs give me 40. I typically run a heroic within 10-15 mins, typically less if there are no events (I love getting the temple, because there's very little timed shit in it, but stuff like Shado-pan Monastery is shitty and takes forever).

If you count that, for the first hour, I get (80 + 3*40)VP, or 200. In an hour. Most LFR runs that aren't terrace take at least 30 minutes to run if not more due to wipes and shit.

So even counting doing different LFRs every time, you don't even really hit 200VP/hour doing it.

Then there's the problem of look, if we get someone new in our guild, we'll have to gear them the old fashioned way, running old raids just for gear for them, which is ridiculous, because not only is it not guaranteed to drop, but it's also a MASSIVE waste of time when we could be raiding current tier. If we wait for that person to get drops through LFR, then it'll take forever. The only other solution would be to run LFRs with that person to maximize the drops he can get, but then we need to be 25, not 10.

I like LFR as a way to gear up to current raids, but as a catch up mechanic, it's completely idiotic. What if you don't get the drops in LFR? You're fucked for a week while the rest of the playerbase advances and we're back to what Vanilla and BC were in terms of progression, which I don't think was a good model (despite one of the best raids of all time, Karazhan).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's not like you have any real extra effort to do that anyway really. Everyone is going to earn 6k Valor points eventually, quest or not, and everyone is going to get those 10 medals by simply doing raids, no matter the versions. And you get all the Black Prince rep you need by doing dailies. Really, it's just a matter of having the quests in your log and continuing your business as usual. So far anyway.

Sure, except you can't grind out each part simultaneously, you have to grind them out sequentially and the Sigils aren't 100% drops.

Robin64

Still don't have the 6000 VP quest (though I would have achieved it many times over if I had) simply because of dickish Sigil drops. Currently sitting on 9 strength and 5 wisdom.

FLEABttn

Banned
I like how they admit that the amount of VP required for that quest is 2 to 3 times higher than where it should be, in retrospect. But then they don't acknowledge a fix is in the works.

Well, it's kinda crappy, though. I understand the appeal of running old raids and stuff, but there's a problem in that

1- You'll have less people running them, so it'll take far longer to get into one
2- When you do manage to get into one, people will bitch that you're underperforming or
3- You'll run into a raid where nobody knows mechanics, you'll wipe on every boss or so at least once, and then it'll be really, REALLY sucky.

Seriously, LFR as a difficulty is interesting, but there are important problems with them, most notably that as people gear up, there's no reason to go back - at this current tier, you get more VP/hour doing heroics than LFR (much, MUCH more). If you're DPS it's worth it to chain run scenarios, too.

I'm a tank. I get insta-queue into Heroics. I can solo most of them without any trouble if I'm careful, so when I have a semi-competent healer, I can just chain pull everything. It's pretty ridiculous that you can do that when you get to the 2nd tier of raiding (and even then I could do it within the end of the first tier). First heroic of the day gives me 80VP, subsequent runs give me 40. I typically run a heroic within 10-15 mins, typically less if there are no events (I love getting the temple, because there's very little timed shit in it, but stuff like Shado-pan Monastery is shitty and takes forever).

If you count that, for the first hour, I get (80 + 3*40)VP, or 200. In an hour. Most LFR runs that aren't terrace take at least 30 minutes to run if not more due to wipes and shit.

So even counting doing different LFRs every time, you don't even really hit 200VP/hour doing it.

Then there's the problem of look, if we get someone new in our guild, we'll have to gear them the old fashioned way, running old raids just for gear for them, which is ridiculous, because not only is it not guaranteed to drop, but it's also a MASSIVE waste of time when we could be raiding current tier. If we wait for that person to get drops through LFR, then it'll take forever. The only other solution would be to run LFRs with that person to maximize the drops he can get, but then we need to be 25, not 10.

I like LFR as a way to gear up to current raids, but as a catch up mechanic, it's completely idiotic. What if you don't get the drops in LFR? You're fucked for a week while the rest of the playerbase advances and we're back to what Vanilla and BC were in terms of progression, which I don't think was a good model (despite one of the best raids of all time, Karazhan).

I can definitely understand that, but honestly I don't have the time or patience to deal with a raiding guild anymore. I've seen too many blow up and scatter to the winds and I'd rather just play on my own time with the handful of people I've kept up with over the years.

So, for a player like myself, this progression plan fits perfectly. It's utilizing the content that gets the most attention between expansion sets without having previous raids become achievement farms every 5 months.

Crafted stuff will help jumpstart players into raiding positions I'm sure. That assumes the guild doesn't mind helping out, in which case they are probably a returning veteran. Otherwise, you work your way up the LFR ladder. I don't think that's a terrible thing, it's not as archaic as Vanilla's punishments for quitting were, but it still encourages players to keep playing rather than the revolving door raiding had become. Of course, if LFR for previous content fails miserably due to a lack of interest or general pugfucktardness, they won't continue doing this.

Angry Grimace

Haven't played since Wrath

Any new Lich King lore post-Wrath yet

"Someone" took the shards of Frostmourne away, but Blizzard isn't saying who. Sylvanas went to the top of Icecrown Citadel and found Bolvar there and got super pissed off, but nothing happened after that other than she took some of the Banshees. He's still sleeping (although many years have pass in-game since he was made LK).

ZenaxPure

I think you're blowing it way out of proportion, way way out to be honest. For starters it's very simple to cap Elder Charms, hell, it's kinda hard NOT to cap if you get more than 1 key per week on the island. Ignoring for a second you can spend charms and then go farm more with enough persistence, that at a minimum gives you 36 chances at LFR loot per week (16 bosses + 20 charms to use on the boss(s) of your choice) for 5.0 stuff.

By the time the third raid tier of this xpac gets here there will be so many ways to get gear from non-raiding situations that chances are you will only realistically have to run older LFRs a couple of times. Each new rep added has a few pieces of higher ilvl gear (5.1 reps had 4 slots of 496 gear, kirin tor/sunreaver have 2 slots), and there are craftable 496 items that are easy to make now, not to mention all the 489 stuff has been made very easily obtainable VP wise and rep wise (seriously, my warlock went from friendly klaxxi to exalted in less than a week with me just killing a few warbringers/scouts on my main).

The way blizzard is steering this progression seems designed exactly to avoid what you're saying. VP gear gets cheaper, reps get easier to farm, craftable gear becomes easier to obtain, and bonus rolls become abundant. When the next raid comes out expect blizzard to do something similar, more VP cuts, haunting spirits become easy to get, the next rep added will probably have 520ish ilvl gear or so, mogu runes will become as abundant as elder charms, and so on. It's very unrealistic to think that we'll encounter a similar problem to vanilla or tbc.

Haven't played since Wrath

Any new Lich King lore post-Wrath yet

With Cata quest changes, most of Tirisfal glades, EPL, and WPL is about people trying to deal with a post-Lich King world, but, that's about it really. I wouldn't really expect anything since the focus of the story changes each expansion and it looks like we are heading back into a Burning Legion plot anyway.

Robin64

It would be excellent if Bolvar could truly bring the Scourge as a force of 'good" against the Burning Legion when they do inevitably attack.

smr00

Banned
Alright i am committing to a full WOW return (may god have mercy on my soul)

I played a little in the 10 day trial i got a few weeks back and really enjoyed it but have been out of the game so long i don't really know where to begin. I have a 82 druid/85 lock i plan on getting to 90 but once i hit 90 what do i need to start doing? dailies? are heroics still a thing? Are heirlooms still bought with valor and stuff? any of getting it with gold?

jdavid459

Haven't played WoW for years, never got to end game stuff but I thought the game was really cool and enjoyed the dungeons a lot. Is WoW still going strong? Don't hear much about it. Can I get to end game fast? Can I do dungeon finder and just run them most of the time? And how is the end game right now...might hop back in.

VandalD

I played a little in the 10 day trial i got a few weeks back and really enjoyed it but have been out of the game so long i don't really know where to begin. I have a 82 druid/85 lock i plan on getting to 90 but once i hit 90 what do i need to start doing? dailies? are heroics still a thing? Are heirlooms still bought with valor and stuff? any of getting it with gold?
Heirlooms are bought with Justice. There are also heirlooms that are bought with gold, if your guild has unlocked them. They only go up to 85 though, if you upgrade your heirlooms with even more Justice points. The progression once hitting 90, or at least it tends to be for me, is doing scenarios and/or finishing up quests in Dread Wastes to get the very basic of gear you'll need for heroics. Then you do heroics until you can do LFR. Then you do heroics and LFR and gear up for higher tiers of LFR. Doing dailies can help you get a few pieces of gear if you're unlucky with drops, but I wouldn't say they're required. You'll probably have time to do them though, if you queue for heroics/LFR as DPS. Besides, it's fun to blow things up ever more effectively as you get geared.

Haven't played WoW for years, never got to end game stuff but I thought the game was really cool and enjoyed the dungeons a lot. Is WoW still going strong? Don't hear much about it. Can I get to end game fast? Can I do dungeon finder and just run them most of the time? And how is the end game right now...might hop back in.
Still pretty strong. I guess you don't hear much about it because it's .. just WoW. It's had additions and enhancements but ultimately it's the same game as it always was, just more refined, for better or worse. Not sure how to answer how fast you can get to end game. If you mean just hitting level 90, it'll take a decent investment of time. Sure, you can just chain run dungeons/scenarios/LFR, depending on queue times.

Tamanon

Banned

Heirlooms are bought with Justice Points(really the only thing to do with them) and/or Darkmoon Faire stuff.

Dailies and heroics are your starting point at 90. You get Valor points from both now, which buy your good raid-quality gear. From there, it's really up to what you want to do.

Sarcasm

After a few months off I am back. SO the new dailies you can choose PvE or PvP? Which is worth it? I have no PvP gear and tank spec...

Robin64

Blizzard said:
A hotfix went out earlier this afternoon to address Zandalari Warbringer concerns.

Zandalari Warbringers are now immune to taunt, knockback, and grip effects.

YES. YES. A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

Ultratech

YES. YES. A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

Well, this will be interesting...

(I still want a Triceratops mount ;_;)

Also seeing reports that they're immune to Stuns, Snares, Roots, and most Interrupts. (Not sure if that's unintended.)

As so, it's borderline impossible to solo them now. Especially with that Fear ability.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Do rare companions actually sell for 15k gold? I just got a Tiny Emerald Whelping from a LFR bag and I see them at that price on my AH.

Ultratech

Do rare companions actually sell for 15k gold? I just got a Tiny Emerald Whelping from a LFR bag and I see them at that price on my AH.

Not sure. I saw a Tiny Crimson Whelping for a few thousand gold on the Black Market the other day.

I bid on it only to lose to somebody else. (Surprisingly, it wasn't 10k like a lot of other stuff is.)

Tamanon

Banned

They do. I just sold a Hyacinth Macaw I picked up leveling in STV for 12k. Still waiting on a buyer for my Emerald Whelpling though.

Ultratech

Welp, did a few Warbringers earlier.

They're considerably tougher/more annoying now, but we managed to kill them without too much trouble with a Tank, Heals, and 2 DPS.

Had the Jade mount drop on one and the healer won it. Insignias and Small Bags on the others. Wasn't too bad of a haul. Kinda sucks not winning the mount though.

For the Whelplings, I thought they were separate pets. The ones that drop from Vanilla zones (Emerald, Crimson, Black, and Azure) are usually crazy expensive like that.

I had a nice 3-day weekend and was able to do quite a bit in-game. Leveled my rogue to 88. Had a rage moment when i found out that as a gnome, there is no benefit to starting out at 15 engineering. It's actually a punishment. Making 15 skillpoints when first starting a profession is infinitely easier than having to get to 15 extra (to 615) at the end... I thought it was supposed to eliminate having to get those 15 points, not punish you later by making you work harder to get them. I had maxed out skinning and only needed to max engineering out to finish the guild achievement "working better as a team." Hit 601 in engineering an no achievement. I almost flipped my computer table. What a joke. So basically, the only way to get any more levels was by special recipes that required spirits of harmony. And pre-level 90, those are a pain in the ass to get. Ultimately, I ended up in the Howlingwind Cavern in Kun-Lai Summit impatiently waiting for 30 more motes so i could finish the last 14 points of eng. The whole "working better as a team" achievement is misleading when it says all primary and secondary professions to 600. And worse is the whole +15 engineering for gnomes, as if that is some kind of special racial bonus. more like a load of complete shit meant to screw everyone over at the end of the grind. Anyway I finished it, 2 days later than it should have taken thanks to the stupid bad mote of harmony drop rate.

To make it go faster, i was on my 85 warrior farming mining nodes and getting my mining leveled up, which sadly, took about 3 hours... compared to the crapfest that is engineering. Then I promptly maxed my jewelcrafting out in a day or two. Only needed to use 2 of the daily gem recipe learning cooldowns and was done. Sheesh. And my warrior is still 85 while it took my rogue leveling to 88 just to be able to kill mobs more efficiently to get the motes. Rant done.

I hit exalted with korin tir on my lock. Got my direhorn mount. Tried to solo some zandalari warbringers. Not sure how to solo them as a demo lock. My pet doesn't survive the damage. I can't survive the damage. Not sure how to kite because the warbringer moves too fast. not a big deal, but i was disappointed that i couldn't even survive for more than a minute or two.
I like how they admit that the amount of VP required for that quest is 2 to 3 times higher than where it should be, in retrospect. But then they don't acknowledge a fix is in the works.
The 1000 valor cap per week is still a joke. It really should be a minimum of 1500, and probably more like 2000 per week in my opinion. You spend half the week working for valor and then half the week you're not getting the full rewards for dailies because you've already capped. I hate how time consuming it is to get the valor and then all of a sudden you've capped and aren't getting rewarded for anymore of your work. Sure gold, lesser elder charms, but that's not really what i'm working for or why i'm doing the dailies. Wish blizz understood that. 2 weeks for a piece of cheap rep gear is simply not rewarding enough imo. I've got 2 items that i can purchase from the korin tir, but it will be over two weeks before i can buy one, and then a week longer before i can buy the other. And these are items that cost only 1250 and 1280. Should not be that big of a pain in the butt just to purchase these rep items.

FLEABttn

Banned
The 1000 valor cap per week is still a joke. It really should be a minimum of 1500, and probably more like 2000 per week in my opinion. You spend half the week working for valor and then half the week you're not getting the full rewards for dailies because you've already capped. I hate how time consuming it is to get the valor and then all of a sudden you've capped and aren't getting rewarded for anymore of your work. Sure gold, lesser elder charms, but that's not really what i'm working for or why i'm doing the dailies. Wish blizz understood that. 2 weeks for a piece of cheap rep gear is simply not rewarding enough imo. I've got 2 items that i can purchase from the korin tir, but it will be over two weeks before i can buy one, and then a week longer before i can buy the other. And these are items that cost only 1250 and 1280. Should not be that big of a pain in the butt just to purchase these rep items.

Personally I'm fine with where the cap is, I just think valor comes too slow and/or that things cost too much valor. But I am (and have been) fine with the idea that I can accomplish most things per reset in a 3 to 4 day period. I'm too old for a vanilla-ish grind these days. And blizzard is aware of my stance on the subject via the status of my account.

WotLK was my high water mark. I don't have the time or energy for anything less than that expac, at this point. And neither MoP nor Cata has come close.

Rokam

People on Mal'Ganis are lazy as shit, 33% horde participation. All you do have to do is 1 damn quest :/. My medium pop server is already working Stage 3, got it early this afternoon.

Tarazet

People on Mal'Ganis are lazy as shit, 33% horde participation. All you do have to do is 1 damn quest :/. My medium pop server is already working Stage 3, got it early this afternoon.

On the one hand, I feel bad that I'm not logging in every day. 12-14 hour work days take it out of me. But I can very easily get caught up with everything for the whole week in one Saturday.. I do the solo instance to load up on Elder Charms, do Setting the Trap and the Great Thunder blah blah blah, and knock out all the dailies. Takes up a huge chunk of time, I don't have the ability to do that every day anymore.

Rokam

The thing is for the unlocking it's based on who visits the island and doing 1 daily, don't have to do them all

So that means that 67% of people on MG come to the isle and don't do a single daily. Pretty sad, hope Blizzard doesn't do anything like this again.

The thing is for the unlocking it's based on who visits the island and doing 1 daily, don't have to do them all

So that means that 67% of people on MG come to the isle and don't do a single daily. Pretty sad, hope Blizzard doesn't do anything like this again.
Now that i'm exalted, I'll probably only do 1 daily a day. I'm interested in the small solo scenarios at each unlock stage, too. I think my server Thunderlord hit stage 3 today. I'll see if there is a new scenario when i get off work in the morning - er whenever the servers at back up. I forget it's maintenance tuesday.

EDIT:
In my attempt to make as many royal satchels as possible (i'm using four and will have a 5th to use for a bank slot in a day or two) I've been learning a bunch of pvp crafted gear from making imperial silk. Got the recipe for and made the crafted dreadful gladiator's felweave cowl and i'm using it for transmog. Different look, but I like it. Can't find any screenshots online. I'll post one tomorrow since everyone loves my pictures so much ;)

EDIT2: Nevermind. I just looked up season 12 gear and found shots. Also, I'm a moron. See my tag for more on that :p The crafted piece has a green tint instead of purple, which I don't think looks as nice. But still pretty cool. I've found that i tend to like the latter warlock tier sets less than the lock pvp sets. I haven't really appreciated a warlock tier set since tier 10. Tier 11 = bent horns look goofy along with ugly executioner mask. Tier 12 = bnxoiously stupid lookin helm. Tier 13 = would have been great if not for the dorky looking noodle sticking out of the hood. I prefer to see actual eyes or something that resembles a face. Tier 14 = deformed monster face. It's like they tried too hard to come up with something cool and ended up with something silly. Tier 15 = meh. Not as bad as some previous tier, but generally dont like the alien looking mask. I guess I'd just like to see something more old school perhaps where you can actually see a face for a change instead of these gimmicky looking masks.

345127.jpg

Rokam

Yeah I just log on my alts and do the easiest daily. On my DK I do the pvp dailies, way less quests, easy as hell, free honor!

cdyhybrid

Ahh, only 3 reps left to grind are August Celestials, Dominance, and Shado-Pan. I can actually do other things on the weekdays besides dailies now!

Slayerx

The participation doesn't matter that much, GC said all realms will unlock the Isle in 6 weeks, some slightly faster some slower. From personal experience it seems that participation only accounts for 5-10% of the unlock per week.

ZenaxPure

Glad to see them fixing the warbringers to stop doucheyness. They said they are looking into the immune to stuns and stuff though, which I hope they do because my monk friend and I can't duo them without the hotness of Gouge. Seriously can avoid every special ability with it, so amazing.

Also FML, took my paladin to Sha and Terrace today and got 3 pieces of tier. Makes me shake my head so hard that he has gotten his 4 piece in the span of a week while my rogue has ran Hof/Terrace roughly 20 times now and only has 3 pieces ;-;.

I have to imagine people aren't doing any at all once they cap their VP. On my server through the entire week participation was floating around 60%, but, around friday night and for the rest of the week it's been sitting at like 30-35%. Curious to see if it will pop up back to 60 after servers come back up. But yeah, I am honestly not sure how much it truly effects it either, despite sitting at 30% all weekend we still made it through ~30% progress and managed to unlock the next stage.

It's a weird ass system.

TheYanger

I'm on mal'ganis, I log in and use the island for raiding and do 0 dailies. Sorry. Dumb system, not going to do dailies though or be beholden to it.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Yo, the War Effort was the most amazing thing of all time. Should've brought that bad boy back. So much gold to be made! So much rep to be had! :D

(Yeah, I think this new Isle is a bit boring. I'm exalted now, I don't plan to return really)

Rokam

It's too bad all the blacksmithing shit is locked behind this dumbass island. As soon as the next stage opens I'm done with it!

ZenaxPure

No it's a dumb ass system!

Well I just mean mechanically the system is weird because it really doesn't seem like participation matters a whole lot.

That said, yeah it's not the best solution for a server wide effort kind of thing (though I don't really think Sunwell or AQ was either despite enjoying both of those in their time). It's actually kind of funny because now the tables have been turned in a lot of ways, instead of people not wanting to do dailies to get gear to go raid the design of the system has those people punishing folks who want to move progress of the island along.

Touch

the only thing i do on the new island is gank people and kill rares. though that is what most of emerald dream does anyway so it doesnt really matter.

I couldnt even go on to the island yesdterday evening, there was so many people charging about/ enemys spawning and dead scattered everywhere and all the other shite that the game would just lock up.

I can be anywhere else in the world but there :(
Went to Giant Island though, that was great! Felt like Jurassic park haha. Shame there isnt much to do apart from duo the smaller dinos with my bro.

TimeKillr

I can definitely understand that, but honestly I don't have the time or patience to deal with a raiding guild anymore. I've seen too many blow up and scatter to the winds and I'd rather just play on my own time with the handful of people I've kept up with over the years.

So, for a player like myself, this progression plan fits perfectly. It's utilizing the content that gets the most attention between expansion sets without having previous raids become achievement farms every 5 months.

Crafted stuff will help jumpstart players into raiding positions I'm sure. That assumes the guild doesn't mind helping out, in which case they are probably a returning veteran. Otherwise, you work your way up the LFR ladder. I don't think that's a terrible thing, it's not as archaic as Vanilla's punishments for quitting were, but it still encourages players to keep playing rather than the revolving door raiding had become. Of course, if LFR for previous content fails miserably due to a lack of interest or general pugfucktardness, they won't continue doing this.

If what you want is to see the content, it's great.

If what you want is gear out of them, it's ridiculous, because you can't quite farm them.

And I'm pretty sure the early raids will die due to inactivity when 5.4 hits. That's pretty much a given.

I think you're blowing it way out of proportion, way way out to be honest. For starters it's very simple to cap Elder Charms, hell, it's kinda hard NOT to cap if you get more than 1 key per week on the island. Ignoring for a second you can spend charms and then go farm more with enough persistence, that at a minimum gives you 36 chances at LFR loot per week (16 bosses + 20 charms to use on the boss(s) of your choice) for 5.0 stuff.

By the time the third raid tier of this xpac gets here there will be so many ways to get gear from non-raiding situations that chances are you will only realistically have to run older LFRs a couple of times. Each new rep added has a few pieces of higher ilvl gear (5.1 reps had 4 slots of 496 gear, kirin tor/sunreaver have 2 slots), and there are craftable 496 items that are easy to make now, not to mention all the 489 stuff has been made very easily obtainable VP wise and rep wise (seriously, my warlock went from friendly klaxxi to exalted in less than a week with me just killing a few warbringers/scouts on my main).

The way blizzard is steering this progression seems designed exactly to avoid what you're saying. VP gear gets cheaper, reps get easier to farm, craftable gear becomes easier to obtain, and bonus rolls become abundant. When the next raid comes out expect blizzard to do something similar, more VP cuts, haunting spirits become easy to get, the next rep added will probably have 520ish ilvl gear or so, mogu runes will become as abundant as elder charms, and so on. It's very unrealistic to think that we'll encounter a similar problem to vanilla or tbc.

Well, that's another thing with Elder Charms. The new dailies are tuned for people who have gear - you can't really do them when you hit 90 unless you're pretty good. So then you're stuck, because you'd want gear from them but you can't. Then you go "Well, my other source is valor gear and it's cheaper!" Yeah, it's cheaper, but Valor still caps at 1000 a week, so if you cap your valor every week, you'll get the bigger pieces every 2 weeks, and that also requires grinding out a stupid amount of dailies.

The actual progression is more like this:

1- Hit 90
2- Get enough gear to do Heroics/clear dailies quickly
3- Grind 5.0 dailies until you hit Revered because it's the only way to get enough gear to get into LFR (also now, LOL, you sort of have to do 5.0 + Dominance Offensive + Isle of Thunder, fun times. At least Isle gives you gear for gold.)
4- Finally get into LFR. Wipe many many times of every god damn boss, get yelled at, spend 1+ hour into the LFR for a bit of gear, spend Elder Charms if you managed to do Isle (IIRC there's no other sources for it now too, since lesser charms turn into 5.2 tokens)

It's ridiculous that the dailies restriction is still there. If someone comes in right now, the *only* chance they have at gear to get into LFR is either crafted gear or someone helps you out with Isle of Thunder dailies to get rep to get enough gold 496 pieces. Crafted gear went down in price, but there's still not a ton of stuff for every slot, and you still need Harmonies to be able to craft them (pretty much everyone but me in my guild is Harmony starved for some reason, they didn't farm the shit out of them at their farm like I did and will do again once I'm capped with every rep).

I still don't understand why people were whining about catch up. If you got your shit and cleared heroic raids on patch, why the fuck are you complaining? You still did your stuff. That people get gear for less effort than you did does not undermine your accomplishments. There's this whining about welfare epics and shit, but who cares what other people have, if you have better and did stuff first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom