• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Well one of their employees said they were playing it awhile back... so who the fuck knows. Honestly I don't hold high hopes for it. If tomorrow's "announcement" is just All Stars that's pretty dumb seeing as how it's already been announced.

Well, according to the text seen in MMOChampion, what will be shown will not be a sequel, expansion or "that rumored next-gen MMO".

But you said "tomorrow", so why does MMOChampion has a 2 hours 37 mins countdown?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So do people actually believe Titan is an actual thing as opposed to a vaporware project? Even Blizzard isn't tight-lipped enough to spend like 5 years on something without giving the vaguest details about what it is in any respect at all.

It's very much real, but compared to most other companies sans maybe Valve, Blizzard has very high brand loyalty among it's current and past employees so no one wants to spill any beans.

Westlo

So do people actually believe Titan is an actual thing as opposed to a vaporware project? Even Blizzard isn't tight-lipped enough to spend like 5 years on something without giving the vaguest details about what it is in any respect at all.

You really think the Ulduar A-Team has been letting GC and his B-team run WoW since ToC for nothing?

Trickster

I don't know what to expect, i mean this is PAX.. not E3 or Blizzcon, they wouldn't announce something big like Titan in such an event.

It's the Blizzard All Stars thingy they started working on as a SC2 custom game, I'm almost certain of it.

Draxal

MOP has been great but Cata was what it was... compare Ulduar to Dragon's Soul...

GC did make an interest point about instance teams and raid teams being shared, he pretty much blamed the dragon soul instances causing the dragon soul raid to be so poor.

Bisnic

MOP has been great but Cata was what it was... compare Ulduar to Dragon's Soul...

Well, if you only want to compare raids, sure. They fucked up the raids(especially Dragon Soul), but the remade Azeroth was awesome.

ZenaxPure

GC did make an interest point about instance teams and raid teams being shared, he pretty much blamed the dragon soul instances causing the dragon soul raid to be so poor.

It's actually kinda sad when you look at it really, Well of Eternity and end time had more effort put into it than Dragon Soul. Dragon soul had 0 new models for bosses outside of madness (everything else was reused random enemies) and not a single new locale. Granted, as someone who is really into the lore I actually really did enjoy seeing dragonblight in modern day, but, it really doesn't excuse some of the stuff like the boss models, barely any trash (and the trash that was there was sooo boring to fight), and just how tiny the raid was.

It was one thing with Firelands since there was enough trash in there as a buffer to slow you down (and the trash was designed in a way to emulate MC trash) but there was a lot of potential for dragon soul that got squandered, why was Benedictus a 5 man boss? He had been played up pretty big in a lot of quests (and the Thrall book) but got pretty much no screen time when his time came to be interesting, and what about Chromatus? Based on how he was handled in the Thrall book I 100% thought he would be appearing in Dragon Soul, and, what about a fight with Deathwing in his human form? I swear his human form has to be the biggest wasted effort in WoW ever, really awesome looking model whose best use was a comedic relief quest (albeit an amazing quest chain) in the badlands.

I dunno, I really like Cata for a lot of reasons (mostly the questing, I mean the Firelands daily hub pretty much set the foundation for stuff like the 5.1 daily hub) but some weird shit happened at Blizzard during it, originally I'd wager that any endgame content dev time got consumed by making all those quests in reformed Azeroth but that doesn't excuse the dragon soul patch. I have to wonder if they were just under-manned, all those recent dev interviews make it sound like they just now got enough people to work on a lot of content at once. It sure would explain why they completely dropped an entire raid/5 man and storyline in Vashj'r.

Bisnic

I dunno, I really like Cata for a lot of reasons (mostly the questing, I mean the Firelands daily hub pretty much set the foundation for stuff like the 5.1 daily hub) but some weird shit happened at Blizzard during it, originally I'd wager that any endgame content dev time got consumed by making all those quests in reformed Azeroth but that doesn't excuse the dragon soul patch. I have to wonder if they were just under-manned, all those recent dev interviews make it sound like they just now got enough people to work on a lot of content at once. It sure would explain why they completely dropped an entire raid/5 man and storyline in Vashj'r.

I'm still disappointed we didn't get a Vashjir raid. Not that i would want swimming in a raid(who would want that really), but the zone looks soo nice, a raid in there would have been pretty amazing looking.

Tarazet

Yeah this is true. If blizz wants a complete rng system for loot, at the very least they should make it so duplicate drops arent possible. I think I could handle periods of not getting anything if I knew when something did drop it would be a new item. But seeing the same thing drop is majorly disheartening.

There are plenty of classes that would love to have multiple tier tokens (I'd cheerfully take as many as 4!), and if I got another weapon, I'd have one with Dancing Steel for DPS and another with Colossus for tanking.

Berordn

I'm still disappointed we didn't get a Vashjir raid. Not that i would want swimming in a raid(who would want that really), but the zone looks soo nice, a raid in there would have been pretty amazing looking.

With all the not-so-subtle hints about goings on in the South Seas (the demons will probably be heading to the tomb of Sargeas too), I'm sure we'll revisit Neptulon soon enough, sometime before we punch Azshara in the face. She's one of the last antagonists we have to face from existing lore too.

I think it could be fun to have an underwater raid, with mechanics not unlike Malygos/Al'Akir Phase 3. It's really hard to tell where to position in 3D in WoW but it could work for a few encounters.

ZenaxPure

Yeah me too, Throne of Tides is probably my favorite 5 man in the game visually, such an amazing looking dungeon. The other dungeon seemed like some sort of mess, they announced it as both a 5 man and then later a raid to go alongside firelands, then just scrapped the whole thing? It's actually a shame because it sounds like they actually spent a decent amount of time working on it (showed us a map at one point and described the flow and structure and even the story of the dungeon).

With all the not-so-subtle hints about goings on in the South Seas (the demons will probably be heading to the tomb of Sargeas too), I'm sure we'll revisit Neptulon soon enough, sometime before we punch Azshara in the face. She's one of the last antagonists we have to face from existing lore too.

I always felt liked Azshara deserved her own expansion to be honest, even though she's never really appeared in any of the games she is kinda the reason the current warcraft universe even exists in the first place lore-wise. Or rather, she had a massive impact on everything. Would also give blizzard another excuse to invent a bunch of cool new lore stuff, we don't know jack shit about anything related to Azshara, her empire, cities, her people, or just about anything else post-sundering. Just an empty canvas waiting to be painted similar to Pandaria. Not saying I think it will really happen, but just I think she deserves it.

ZenaxPure

At worst, something to do while in LFR queue!

Man, imagine if it was playable inside WoW itself.... it would be the ultimate LFR waiting game. Actually always wondered why we never saw some sort of card mini-game in WoW to be honest, card games inside other video games are always the best.

Robin64

There were those official Popcap plugins for WoW which let you play Bejewelled and Peggle in WoW. They worked *really* nicely.

They can be nabbed here but haven't been updated in ages, so not sure if a forced load will get anything decent running.

I think the Pet Battle feature is only Blizzard's first attempt at ingame minigames, though, and we'll definitely see more.

ZenaxPure

There were those official Popcap plugins for WoW which let you play Bejewelled and Peggle in WoW. They worked *really* nicely.

They can be nabbed here but haven't been updated in ages, so not sure if a forced load will get anything decent running.

I think the Pet Battle feature is only Blizzard's first attempt at ingame minigames, though, and we'll definitely see more.

Yeah, I always used the peggle one when I was flying to raids (even had that handy feature to turn on when you got onto a flight path!). I always enjoyed well made mini-games in RPGs (looking at you birth by sleep's command board) and wish WoW had had more of them. Pet battles are a nice start and they've been supporting it really well each patch (which is nice because I bet it doesn't take much effort to add new battles and pets each patch really), would be cool to see them branch out into other stuff.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You really think the Ulduar A-Team has been letting GC and his B-team run WoW since ToC for nothing?

I'm still pretty convinced Titan is just vaporware that they've scrapped and restarted multiple times.

Yeah, I always used the peggle one when I was flying to raids (even had that handy feature to turn on when you got onto a flight path!). I always enjoyed well made mini-games in RPGs (looking at you birth by sleep's command board) and wish WoW had had more of them. Pet battles are a nice start and they've been supporting it really well each patch (which is nice because I bet it doesn't take much effort to add new battles and pets each patch really), would be cool to see them branch out into other stuff.

The Chess one got a lot of us in some deep shit with the GM of our TBC guild. We pulled? Fuck that, "check".

Rokam

Official response on Oondasta nerf:
Yes, Oondasta's maximum health has been reduced by 50%. The design intent behind this boss was for the primary audience to be guilds rather than pickup groups. That is why we placed Oondasta on a relatively remote island, surrounded by powerful elite dinosaurs that make solo travel in the area a dicey proposition. It's why he has mechanics that will outright kill you without the coordinated use of cooldowns, and careful positioning. It's a very different philosophy than our approach to designing bosses like Sha of Anger or Nalak. Of course, things didn't exactly play out as we envisioned -- as we all know, it was possible to overwhelm Oondasta with sheer numbers. While not intended, that was not entirely negative. There have been some pretty epic experiences on the Isle of Giants in the last couple of weeks. There's something to be said for the sight of a hundred spells and missiles flying through the air at a huge dinosaur.

We could have made a number of changes that would have made this approach entirely impossible: Consider a version of Oondasta with a Spiritfire Beam that could hop to 99 targets instead of 20, and a Doomwalker-style debuff that prevented players who had died during the encounter from re-engaging. Definitely not zergable. But that doesn't mean that people would stop trying, and the result would likely be a boss that no one could kill, and a frustrating experience for most participants. So we didn't do that.

Ultimately, while our server hardware is much, much more powerful than what we had in place during the days of events like the Opening of Ahn'Qiraj years ago, it still has limits. And what we have increasingly been observing was players massing around Oondasta in such great numbers that it brought servers to their knees. As word spreads that Oondasta has spawned, more and more people flock to the Isle of Giants for a piece of the action. Many people have been in Oondasta fights where spells took multiple seconds to cast, and the dinosaur perhaps stopped using its abilities entirely. Players with anything but the very best computers saw nothing but a slideshow. And in extreme cases, the entire continent of Pandaria crashed. That simply isn't an acceptable experience for our players, and so we reduced Oondasta's health, so that smaller groups are more likely to be successful, and he'll likely die before so many players arrive that it degrades the experience for everyone present. If server capacity were limitless, we wouldn't have made any of these changes, but alas that is not the case.

Oondasta clearly did not deliver on our original expectations. We'll apply the lessons learned from this experience to any future world bosses we add.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The 200 player Laser-equipped Dinosaur boss is like the most hilarious thing they've put in the game in ages. I don't figure how they say it didn't deliver on expectations.

Edit: Well, I suppose he doesn't live up to expectations in the fact that there's no fucking way any guild that doesn't outgear him would ever be able to kill Oondasta as designed. As it is, even with 50% health he's going to require 100+ players on most crappy realms. You spend the last half of the fight dead and waiting for the rez timer to come up.

Draxal

The 200 player Laser-equipped Dinosaur boss is like the most hilarious thing they've put in the game in ages. I don't figure how they say it didn't deliver on expectations.

Edit: Well, I suppose he doesn't live up to expectations in the fact that there's no fucking way any guild that doesn't outgear him would ever be able to kill Oondasta as designed. As it is, even with 50% health he's going to require 100+ players on most crappy realms. You spend the last half of the fight dead and waiting for the rez timer to come up.

Ya, seriously even though I wiped nonstop to it, it was pretty fun.

I think my favorite part is everybody yelling/1 about not attacking the boss before it gets positioned on the beach but like half the people always attack it anyway.

Official response on Oondasta nerf:

We could have made a number of changes that would have made this approach entirely impossible: Consider a version of Oondasta with a Spiritfire Beam that could hop to 99 targets instead of 20, and a Doomwalker-style debuff that prevented players who had died during the encounter from re-engaging. Definitely not zergable. But that doesn't mean that people would stop trying, and the result would likely be a boss that no one could kill, and a frustrating experience for most participants. So we didn't do that.

This always worked really well for Vanilla / TBC World Bosses. Shit, the Azzy one was especially preventative.

vilmer_

Was going through some ancient backup cd's that I came across and found an old WoW screenshot folder filled with .tga files lol. Looking back at some of these and how much I really didn't know about key binding, etc during those old times is pretty funny to see now! Also note the resurrection sickness :p

ibdStZ4rByK5KZ.png

Rokam

Was going through some ancient backup cd's that I came across and found an old WoW screenshot folder filled with .tga files lol. Looking back at some of these and how much I really didn't know about key binding, etc during those old times is pretty funny to see now! Also note the resurrection sickness :p

What are you talking about, auto attack #1 and shield #2, best keybinding setup ever.

Angry Grimace

This always worked really well for Vanilla / TBC World Bosses. Shit, the Azzy one was especially preventative.

Yeah, but those bosses were designed in a way that actually gave you a shot to kill them if you organized it.

This. When I first went to the Isle to take a shot at him, and then looked at the gear he dropped in comparison to his difficulty considering it was supposed to be a "hard" encounter, something didn't add up.

I guess if you want to do a hard fight for the sake of doing a hard fight, sure. But why wouldn't you just take your guild and do heroic 25's instead? :x

Ultratech

Suddenly patch 5.3 PTR info:
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/257537-53-ptr-patch-notes-now-available/

Major pvp changes. Hope the blog for that goes up soon.

Damn, that was quick.

Looks like they intend to nerf the Valor/JP needed to upgrade items (yay).

Heroic Scenarios should be interesting...hopefully.

This was nice too:

Blizzard said:
Bonus Roll
Protection for bad luck streaks have been added to bonus rolls. Each bonus roll that does not provide loot has a progressively better chance to award loot to the player.

Definitely good to hear, since I haven't gotten crap except Gold from Bonus Rolls in a while. (If only it came sooner!)

Hah 6 months? My guild didn't see a netherwind robe from Nef until near the end of AQ.

I don't even remember honestly. I did actually get the first one that dropped, and three people left over it because their husband / friend was hoarding for it and dropped like 2 DKP behind me by flaking out a few raids prior.

We did go about the same amount of time after 2 Bloodfang Chests though. At least half of our Rogues never saw it.

ZenaxPure

I don't even remember honestly. I did actually get the first one that dropped, and three people left over it because their husband / friend was hoarding for it and dropped like 2 DKP behind me by flaking out a few raids prior.

We did go about the same amount of time after 2 Bloodfang Chests though. At least half of our Rogues never saw it.

Actually that reminded me that my guild also never saw a single perds blade from Ragnaros after I joined (basically near the end of bwl) despite the the fact that we killed him on regular basis until Naxx (and even did him a few times during naxx). I didn't actually get one on my rogue until Cataclysm ; ;

Fuck man, despite lfr rng being bad at times I have had an easier time with getting drops this expansion than I did any time pre-wotlk.

Actually that reminded me that my guild also never saw a single perds blade from Ragnaros after I joined (basically near the end of bwl) despite the the fact that we killed him on regular basis until Naxx (and even did him a few times during naxx). I didn't actually get one on my rogue until Cataclysm ; ;

Fuck man, despite lfr rng being bad at times I have had an easier time with getting drops this expansion than I did any time pre-wotlk.

Saw one perds blade ever. I didn't go Combat Dags until late AQ / Naxx though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom