• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

Seriously.

My Silvershard was done in one, and I took like 4 games for Kotmogu. I had no problems with it, and I think it's pretty awesome that Blizzard had this as part of the questline.

PvE all-stars are hilarious - "oh my god, Blizzard is making me do another facet of the game?!?"

To be fair, Silvershard is just a bad BG all-around. Kotmogu's fun to understand and fun to play.

Draxal

Seriously.

My Silvershard was done in one, and I took like 4 games for Kotmogu. I had no problems with it, and I think it's pretty awesome that Blizzard had this as part of the questline.

PvE all-stars are hilarious - "oh my god, Blizzard is making me do another facet of the game?!?"

Yeah, it's just pvers are bad in pvp for a reason, there's no reason to force pvers to pvp, if they wanted they would have done so already.

I tend to avoid mmo pvp, because the balance is crap, and Blizzard fully admits the class balancing was crap (hi op holy paladins for an entire season).

Tarazet

We took down 10 normal Garalon and the Wind Lord last night. Not bad for a bunch of ragtag kids and casuals. There might be a debuff now, but that doesn't mean it's easy. I abused the hell out of the T14 bonus to Frenzied Regeneration and actually healed myself more than the healers did on Garalon. Then on the Wind Lord, we had the Paladin tank and he healed himself at a rate of 27K HPS sustained with massive Seal of Insight ticks.

Bizazedo

To be fair, Silvershard is just a bad BG all-around. Kotmogu's fun to understand and fun to play.

The only problem with Silvershard is the imbalance it has towards Horde. Otherwise, a cart style BG ala Team Fortress 2 is a great idea.

That and having dealt with AV and a (much) lesser extent, AB, having a BG favor Horde is a nice change of pace. Still, i acknowledge that fault.

Kotmogu, on the other hand, is only really good when it's not as organized. The BG sucks when you have organized teams because then it can become more about CC then actually killing people. It does finish quickly, though.

Berordn

The only problem with Silvershard is the imbalance it has towards Horde. Otherwise, a cart style BG ala Team Fortress 2 is a great idea.

That and having dealt with AV and a (much) lesser extent, AB, having a BG favor Horde is a nice change of pace. Still, i acknowledge that fault.

Kotmogu, on the other hand, is only really good when it's not as organized. The BG sucks when you have organized teams because then it can become more about CC then actually killing people. It does finish quickly, though.

I'd like Silvershard if it was true Payload, but as it is now it's just control points with moving zones. Not nearly as fun.

I have a strange feeling that I'll be picking a weird name in World of Warcraft...

I think I'll start playing the game tomorrow. My laptop's toasty after being on for almost an entire day.

I might want naming suggestions. Um, help?

Nalsh

I have a strange feeling that I'll be picking a weird name in World of Warcraft...

I think I'll start playing the game tomorrow. My laptop's toasty after being on for almost an entire day.

I might want naming suggestions. Um, help?

If you have a name that you typically go with in our games that sounds "namey" enough, go with that. Also, you may want to pick something that makes sense for your character's race. That could help.

Before I actually play... Are all the races and classes in the game balanced just right to be pick-up-and-play for a new player, or is there such a thing as something beginner-friendly?

ZenaxPure

Before I actually play... Are all the races and classes in the game balanced just right to be pick-up-and-play for a new player, or is there such a thing as something beginner-friendly?

You're fine picking any race or class, the game eases you into your abilities. Actually I'd argue it's too slow about it in some ways. If you feel bored with how simple the combat is just give it some time, a lot of classes don't get some of their core abilities for a pretty long while.

About the only thing worth noting really is depending on what race you pick you will be stepping into some really different questing experiences at first. The 3 most recent races (Pandaren, Goblin, and Worgen) all have very streamlined and narrative driven opening quest chains full of voice acting, cutscenes, and the like while Draenei and Blood Elves have very old quest introductions that have less structure and might be slightly confusing to someone who has never played the game before. The rest of the races have had their intros redone to something in between those 2, still streamlined and easy to follow but not as fancy. Also worth noting I guess that Death Knights start at level 55 and have their own special opening quest chain but I honest to god don't know how the class works anymore - if you can even roll one as your very first character or not.

Anyhow, point being if you end up picking Draenei or Blood Elf as your starting race and you get slightly put off by how the questing feels don't worry about it, after that it's a lot more streamlined and a better experience except for a few notable places.

Edit: BLIZZARD WAS LISTENING TO ME! 200 MOUNT ACHIEVEMENT! LET'S DO THIS.

Tarazet

As if upgrading 2 sets of gear for my paladin alt wasn't time consuming enough... Oh well, more options is always better.

I've had a hell of a time trying to raid seriously with both Guardian main spec and Feral off-spec. I need so many different pieces of gear to make it all work. I have a T14 tank 4-piece, 5.1 epics for cat, and some 5.2 pieces that I share between them. It's pretty bonkers, but at the same time, it's nice that at least some pieces are interchangeable, like the weapon and trinkets.

ZenaxPure

Wave based survival in my WoW? I am OK with this if they manage to make it fun somehow (since as Hyjal showed us pure wave based survival in WoW is the opposite of fun).

The Few, the Proud, the Gob Squad (New) Survive to wave 50 of the Secrets of Emberdeep endless assault.

Robin64

7th Sha:
Sha of Pride

Emperor Shaohao was able to conquer the first six Sha and bury them within Pandaria, but not pride. Pride is the reason the continent became covered in mist, they felt they did not need help from the outside world. "Our doubts and fears buried in the land, rising up to fester whenever we allowed them. Pride, it is the most insidious of Sha. It is good, until it is bad. Then it is more dangerous than all the others combined."

ZenaxPure

Something else to note that you can't really get from reading the text that is cool is
As he continues talking to you his voice degrades as the conversation moves on until finally turning into the typical dark evil Sha-voice we've come to know and love. Also, how he words it the Sha were actually a part of himself, like, the Sha of Anger was literally his "anger" before he conquered it.

Oh edit: off the topic of the Sha and stuff, has anyone looked through the wowdb item lists for the patch? I am curious about all of these items from this expansion except with seemingly scaled stats? For example, the healing mace off Empress. 31 int, 23 spirit, 50 stamina. Wonder what all that is about.

cdyhybrid

Something else to note that you can't really get from reading the text that is cool is
As he continues talking to you his voice degrades as the conversation moves on until finally turning into the typical dark evil Sha-voice we've come to know and love. Also, how he words it the Sha were actually a part of himself, like, the Sha of Anger was literally his "anger" before he conquered it.

So we get to actually meet him?
The Emperor I mean

Robin64

Seems like it, in some form.

Also there's a really big Wrathion thing:

He travels to the four Celestials and asks for their blessings to aid against the oncoming Burning Legion onslaught. They offer four tests, though he only has to pass one. What's really interesting here is that one test seems to be us having to be a tank for him and another is us having to be a healer. Early proving grounds tech, perhaps.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Bah, I bet the Wrathion thing will be part of the legendary chain. I've barely started it, I only have a combined 8 sigils.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm going to be mega pissed if we don't get to fight Y'Shaarj, just like we didn't get to fight N'Zoth.

ZenaxPure

Just listened to the vol'jin stuff:

Sounds like alliance players will be earning his trust in the new patch. He basically says that he trusts the alliance for now and that he will rally the Darkspears to attack Orgrimmar from the front while the alliance comes in by ship from the sea. SHITS GETTIN REAL.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm going to be mega pissed if we don't get to fight Y'Shaarj, just like we didn't get to fight N'Zoth.

It's fine, I'm sure they would both be disappointing compared to Yogg anyway.

BOW BEFORE THE GOD OF DEATH

Berordn

Just listened to the vol'jin stuff:

Sounds like alliance players will be earning his trust in the new patch. He basically says that he trusts the alliance for now and that he will rally the Darkspears to attack Orgrimmar from the front while the alliance comes in by ship from the sea. SHITS GETTIN REAL.

Sorta makes you wonder if
Vol'jin is actually in line for the Warchief seat. It's sounding more and more like he wants to turn the Darkspears into a Neutral faction...

An end to both the High King and Warchief in a truce?

Trickster

Seriously.

There's a reason that pve gear sucks if you want to pvp, and vice versa. Blizzard have gone to great lengths to seperate pve and pvp.

Forcing pve oriented people into bg's for a pve questline is bad design.

Rokam

Sound file spoiler speculation:
Thrall's sound files are foreshadowing like a mother fucker, wonder if they'd actually kill him off, it'd be a good way for part of the Orc race to rally against Garrosh.

Also Vol'jin stuff
He mentions the "three of us" in Durotar just like old times, maybe just maybe Rexxar and Chen joining the fight? Please Blizzard!

Robin64

Sound file spoiler speculation:
Thrall's sound files are foreshadowing like a mother fucker, wonder if they'd actually kill him off, it'd be a good way for part of the Orc race to rally against Garrosh.

Killing off Thrall would be the greatest damn thing that could happen. Note that I don't want Thrall dead, I think he's cool, I just think it would be such a huge blow to the entire lore right now.

Did Kotmogu first try, getting a bunch of achievements; Silvershard took me three. Dunno what all the fuss was about.

People tend to get better at pvp the further you get into an expansion and there was little reason to run the new BGs until the quest forced you there. More people new to pvp = less organized compositions = more frustration.

And yes silvershard is a heaping pile of bad that favors horde in 2 out of every 3 starts thanks to the starting gate positions and poorly thought-out switch design.

ZenaxPure

Whelp, Dark Heart scenario:
Wowhead has audio files for it, apparently labeled as Yshaarj_Scenario, curious as to what is going on there since the audio doesn't give any real context. But hey, Y'shaarj!

Rokam

Whelp, Dark Heart scenario:
Wowhead has audio files for it, apparently labeled as Yshaarj_Scenario, curious as to what is going on there since the audio doesn't give any real context. But hey, Y'shaarj!

The artifact is the heart of Y'shaarj, the goblin soundfiles are pretty funny.

Tarazet

Do most tanks choose to hit Expertise hard cap? I did some calculations and found that it would be a small, but useful, increase in single-target Rage generation and DPS, but a much larger improvement in AOE threat and DPS. It seems like a no-brainer, but if I found the gear to do it, I could go even more extreme by hitting the special attack expertise hard-cap, which is 15.50% (but only applies to melee special attacks like Mangle, Blood Strike, etc). I don't think that would be strictly necessary though.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Sha of Pride sound just like Lorewalker Cho. Is that intended? Is he being controlled by this Sha? Or is that just a VA that do not really bother to change his voice?

ZenaxPure

The Sha of Pride sound just like Lorewalker Cho. Is that intended? Is he being controlled by this Sha? Or is that just a VA that do not really bother to change his voice?

Could be the same voice actor, WoW often has the same VAs doing multiple roles. Cam Clarke for example voices 5 different things in WoW (Medivh, male BEs, Malygos, Fandral, and Nexus Prince Shaffar), and of course Metzen voices like half the NPCs in the game.

Tamanon

Banned

I think the Emperor is dead, and Cho is the vessel for him, teaching the lessons of Pandaria to avoid Pride

Sciz

aw shit, shit is going down

It's great that the game's plot is finally happening in-game, after all these years.

Robin64

Forget all that, though, what does this mean?

badRobot.jpg

Why is there a Bad Robot model? Some collaboration with JJ Abrams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom