• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarazet

We didn't get any attempts on HoF normal tonight, but we took the guys we had and did the two tiers of Throne of Thunder LFR. It took less than 2 hours total and no wipes, though the dreaded snail boss got me twice. Got a 502 helm, bracers, and a cloak with a gem slot for the trouble. Sitting at ilv 499.

Rokam

Makes sense really, if they wanted to use the model as a pet they'd probably just do what they did with the new frog and make an entirely new pet.... Which speaking of pets I hope everyone here has seen the new Mini Val'kyr, it's super adorable. Just hope it isn't as ridiculously rare to catch as the Scourged Whelpling (since it's in the same zone it seems).

Whelp is easy to get now, got it on patch release day.

If the Faerie Dragon ends up being a store mount it'll be the first one I buy.

*wonders what kind of frame rate is ideal for a game like this*

Hmm... 50-60 FPS on Good, or 30-40 FPS on High... pretty tough for me to think about. (Lag? I'll deal with that later.)

Can someone explain the significance between a regular and rare pet? The only reason i mention it is because i collect the pets for their looks. The quality is irrelevant to me. Or am I missing something? Are the rare ones stronger in combat? Or is it a collector thing? Just curious. Thanks.

Oh my.

Man, playing as a human hunter is a complete dog. I can't really bring myself to continue playing through the beginning.

*switches back to, eeyup, the mostly-levelled warrior*

I like worgen

Robin64

Man, playing as a human hunter is a complete dog. I can't really bring myself to continue playing through the beginning.

Forsaken hunter is where it's at. Their progress to 60, assuming you follow the path of Tirisfal -> Silverpine -> Hillsbrad etc, is just superb. Those first few zones though are just outstanding, and then Plaguelands is also excellent now.

I always recommend everyone experiences this part of the game.

Slayerx

Levelled my DK from 80 to 85 only herbing/mining, you might think that I am a little weird but it was such an awesome experience for me, swimming around Vashj'ir for hours (my favourite zone, so pretty and huge).

I am kinda mad that they spent so much time designing it, creating unique art assets(lots and lots of them), its also my understanding that the zone was even bigger than the live version and was cut down during development, and then they just abandoned it afterwards with no use past initial levelling experience. What an incredible waste of resources but that's the case with most of Cataclysm.......sigh.

Levelled my DK from 80 to 85 only herbing/mining, you might think that I am a little weird but it was such an awesome experience for me, swimming around Vashj'ir for hours (my favourite zone, so pretty and huge).

I am kinda mad that they spent so much time designing it, creating unique art assets(lots and lots of them), its also my understanding that the zone was even bigger than the live version and was cut down during development, and then they just abandoned it afterwards with no use past initial levelling experience. What an incredible waste of resources but that's the case with most of Cataclysm.......sigh.

Vashj'ir is the place for mining nodes and gathering herbs in cata zones. I think many players choose to level through Mount Hyjal to avoid the hassle of a water world. I got ganked a bunch while in hyjal leveling my rogue and promptly switched to vashj'ir. Was so much better. And then I took my warrior back to vashj'ir to farm ore to level my rogue's engineering. A lot less competition for nodes and you cover more ground with the seahorse's travel speed.

Forsaken hunter is where it's at. Their progress to 60, assuming you follow the path of Tirisfal -> Silverpine -> Hillsbrad etc, is just superb. Those first few zones though are just outstanding, and then Plaguelands is also excellent now.

I always recommend everyone experiences this part of the game.

Hmm...

That'd be also the first time I'd playing in the other faction. Let's see what's different...

ZenaxPure

Whelp is easy to get now, got it on patch release day.

Man, not for me, I flew to the argent tourney grounds at least twice a day for the past month before I finally found a single one (which was about a week ago). Never saw a single one before that but there was always like 10 other people flying around looking for one too. Minfernal is the same way, fly there every day only to see an empty field and like 10 other people camping the spawn. Not too torn about that one yet though since it's impossible to get Kalimdor safari for a few more months.

Tamanon

Banned
Have you considered a Druid? Multiple animal forms, several completely different ways to play, even 2 different ways to DPS.

ZenaxPure

Oh yeah, dunno if anyone is interested but I will throw it out there: Just went ahead and started farming bones on my DK and he is up to about 1000 now. Can solo anything but the primal devilsaurs easy but of course it's somewhat slow. I grouped with a hunter yesterday and we were killing primal direhorns in ~1 minute and the spawn rate is so fast there was always one up for us to kill. Was a crap load of bones, faster than soloing since they drop ~18-22 per kill.

So anyway, if anyone on US servers alliance side wants to farm bones at some point I would be down for doing it with a buddy. Preferably a dps since my DK has no problems staying alive but he only sustains ~50k dps as blood. My server is usually pretty empty on the isle of giants (in regards to people killing primal direhorns) as well so we could pretty much have it all to our selves.

I think it would be a good time for suggestions on a new character to play.

What race/character combination would end up not boring me during the beginning? Judging from this post, I'd have either Goblins or Pandaren... before... ugh. I think I really like to be "in there" rather than "just doing random stuff until levelled enough".

I'd definitely try out a hybrid or two. The Druid suggestion is a great one, but you might also want to check out Shaman or Priest. Druids have a tank, two DPS (one ranged, one melee), and heal spec, Shaman have two DPS specs (one ranged, one melee) and a heal spec, and Priest has two heal specs and a DPS spec. They all provide some really interesting gameplay, in my opinion.

Did LFR Forgotten Depths this morning. On the trash right before last boss a bunch people died, including me. Was slow taking a rez, but i did take it. Some idiot was trying to say i was afk. In chat, i say, "i'm not afk." And I clearly took the rez and am standing in the middle of everyone at Ji-Kun (literally on the platform already). A couple of people are like, "no looks like he's here." Next thing I know im booted. People are so stupid. Went back and looked at meters and i had been pulling 3rd or 4th most damage on all the bosses and trash. Not that i'm amazing or anything, but this moron that got everyone to boot me is just a typical example of how conformed people get into immediately assuming things and jumping on the bandwagon without thinking for themselves or actually checking to see what is actually going on.

Pissed me off pretty bad. I really don't want to have to go through the whole raid again just to do the last boss.
This exact same thing has happened to me. What made it worse is that my WoW partner was still in the raid (my fiance sitting right next to me) so she completed it and then I had to do it all again by myself. If there was ever a time I wanted to reach through my computer and punch someone in the face, it was then. I'm usually super laid back but getting booted from an entire raid group because of some idiot douchebag when you've done nothing wrong stings like hot fire.

If the Faerie Dragon ends up being a store mount it'll be the first one I buy.
Same. I did buy the Winged Guardian when it was on sale for $10 but I'd never buy a mount for $25...unless it was really awesome like this Faerie Dragon :)

*wonders what kind of frame rate is ideal for a game like this*

Hmm... 50-60 FPS on Good, or 30-40 FPS on High... pretty tough for me to think about. (Lag? I'll deal with that later.)
I'd say anything over 30 is acceptable. It comes down to personal preference, whether you want smooth animations or pretty visuals. Protip: you don't have to use all high or all good or whatever, you should tweak each setting to your preference. For example, I prefer shadows turned down to Fair and SSAO to Low and textures and view distance at Ultra.

Vashj'ir is one of my favorite zones...say what you want about Cata, but the art direction is incredible. Deepholm and Uldum are beauuuuutiful as well.

Man, not for me, I flew to the argent tourney grounds at least twice a day for the past month before I finally found a single one (which was about a week ago). Never saw a single one before that but there was always like 10 other people flying around looking for one too. Minfernal is the same way, fly there every day only to see an empty field and like 10 other people camping the spawn. Not too torn about that one yet though since it's impossible to get Kalimdor safari for a few more months.
What do you mean?

Qiraji Guardling is a summer-only spawn. MoP launched just after he could have spawned, and he won't spawn until this summer.

That's the only summer seasonal pet at the moment, right? What date does WoW summer begin anyway?

btw I used to camp that Minfernal site all the damn time and one random day I finally got it. No one else was even around. feelsgoodman

Trickster

Agreed 100%. I think people lose sight of this fact when they bash Cata.

Cata zones were definitely better than MoP zones, both visually and regarding quests.

Wrath zones still destroys vanilla and expansion zones though. Visually great zones, and there was an overarching storyline and theme that persisted throughout all the zones, something they haven't done since then for whatever perplexing reason.

ZenaxPure

That's the only summer seasonal pet at the moment, right? What date does WoW summer begin anyway?

btw I used to camp that Minfernal site all the damn time and one random day I finally got it. No one else was even around. feelsgoodman

It is the only summer one, but, there is also an Owl that is only catch-able in winter as well and from what I've read we're out of winter in WoW time so you have to wait until the end of the year for it now. Caught mine a few months ago just to be safe.

Tomboy

Neo Member
Probably a question with a really obvious answer, but how do I use Elder coins for extra rolls on Galleon and Sha of Anger?

It is the only summer one, but, there is also an Owl that is only catch-able in winter as well and from what I've read we're out of winter in WoW time so you have to wait until the end of the year for it now. Caught mine a few months ago just to be safe.

Yep, I've also got the Snowy Owl :)

Cata zones were definitely better than MoP zones, both visually and regarding quests.

Wrath zones still destroys vanilla and expansion zones though. Visually great zones, and there was an overarching storyline and theme that persisted throughout all the zones, something they haven't done since then for whatever perplexing reason.

I agree to an extent. I feel that Jade Forest is on-par with, if not better than, any of the best zones in the game. The rest of the Pandaria zones feel lackluster by comparison, both visually and from a gameplay perspective.

Wrath is absolutely the best expansion with regard to its use of an overarching story throughout its zones, and the zones themselves, as you said, have incredible art direction and each zone has a unique feel to it. I really hope that they're able to replicate this perfect balance for the next expansion.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Is there anyway of knowing which master tamers you still need for the safari hat? I'm at 37/40 but have no idea which 3 I'm missing.

ZenaxPure

Is there anyway of knowing which master tamers you still need for the safari hat? I'm at 47/50 but have no idea which 3 I'm missing.

I dunno if you did it or not, but, doing the low level ones for both factions counts. I had the horde version from a horde alt and went through Kalimdor fighting them, so, I got my hat after fighting like my first tamer in Pandaria I want to say (either that or the last guy in Cata, can't recall). The first few sets of tamers are faction specific to grab the quests, but, you can fight them on a character of either faction.

Robin64

What? Cata zones are the worst zones in the game right now. Place like Uldum and Deepholm are so lacking in any variety, it's basically the same image no matter where you are in the zone. There's no soul, none of the little details that really make WoW outstanding.

Furthermore, the quests are one big linear cut-scene driven story. You can't deviate at all, you have to do this specific order and more than once is boring. MoP quests are not only more joyous but you also get a level of choice in what you do.

What? Cata zones are the worst zones in the game right now. Place like Uldum and Deepholm are so lacking in any variety, it's basically the same image no matter where you are in the zone. There's no soul, none of the little details that really make WoW outstanding.

Furthermore, the quests are one big linear cut-scene driven story. You can't deviate at all, you have to do this specific order and more than once is boring. MoP quests are not only more joyous but you also get a level of choice in what you do.

The quests themselves were nowhere near as good as Mists of Pandaria's offerings, but, from a visual perspective, I'd take Uldum or Deepholm over Townlong Steppes any day.

ZenaxPure

So anyone who is looking for another mount to go after weekly in a raid, I suggest Alysrazor. I was curious if she was soloable because of the mechanics in that fight (if you're flying you get an insane dps boost) and it turns out once I re-familiarized myself with the fight she was easily doable. I peaked at around 200k DPS once I had all my cooldowns going and had her to 10% by the tornado phase. I think once I'm in ToT lfr gear I should be able to kill her before the tornados come.

Only thing you really have to watch out for is her despawning, if you get to far away from her she will despawn. Probably has something to do with no one being on the ground, but, it wasn't that big of a deal really. The other thing is that if you by chance can't kill her before she makes it to the ground phase the hatchlings obviously hit like trucks. For me I was able to counter it through sheer numbers, my dps was so high that my leeching poison was outhealing their damage. I didn't bother dragging them over any worms because of this, but, ymmv.

I look forward to farming her for weeks to come.

That's my extra roll and has been costing me coins? Totally didn't realize that. Thank you.

Yeah, next patch will be adding tech to protect you from going on streaks where you don't get loot from the bonus roll which will be handy.

The quests themselves were nowhere near as good as Mists of Pandaria's offerings, but, from a visual perspective, I'd take Uldum or Deepholm over Townlong Steppes any day.

Same. I felt like all the Pandaria zones were too similar to each other, and all feeling like "generic Asian," especially the music.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Townlong Steppes was the last zone they designed and it was almost not in the game. TS and Dread Wastes were originally a single zone (they have the exact same textures general appearance, they're just different colors and the skybox is darker in DW).

Trickster

Same. I felt like all the Pandaria zones were too similar to each other, and all feeling like "generic Asian," especially the music.

This is pretty much my biggest complaint about the MoP zones. Every zone feels samey because every zone had to look, sound and feel asian.

ZenaxPure

Townlong Steppes was the last zone they designed and it was almost not in the game. TS and Dread Wastes were originally a single zone (they have the exact same textures general appearance, they're just different colors and the skybox is darker in DW).

This is true too, for those who didn't ever see it or don't remember, this was the very first map of Pandaria we had back at Blizzcon. Note the lack of both Krasarang and Dread Wastes.

PandariaMap.jpg

And of course, we know from that interview from a few weeks back that Blizzard did almost cut Townlong in favor of an epic class quest for every single class but went with Townlong instead.

Robin64

This is pretty much my biggest complaint about the MoP zones. Every zone feels samey because every zone had to look, sound and feel asian.

Really?

Jade Forest is a lush green locale, very peaceful, lots of classic asian-style structures.
But then Krasarang Wilds is a dense jungle opening out on to a long golden beach.
Then you have Kun-lai, which is a cold, almost Northrend feeling place with a huge beautiful mountain. Lots of barren land too, feels like a harsh place to be.
And then again, Dread Wastes is a dark twisted bug infested place.

That's quite a lot of variety.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I like it. Most WoW continents feel like theme parks, which MOP managed to not do for once.

This is true too, for those who didn't ever see it or don't remember, this was the very first map of Pandaria we had back at Blizzcon. Note the lack of both Krasarang and Dread Wastes.

And of course, we know from that interview from a few weeks back that Blizzard did almost cut Townlong in favor of an epic class quest for every single class but went with Townlong instead.

Ah, I didn't know this. This explains a lot of the issues that I had with the zone. Thanks for the information.

Tarazet

This exact same thing has happened to me. What made it worse is that my WoW partner was still in the raid (my fiance sitting right next to me) so she completed it and then I had to do it all again by myself. If there was ever a time I wanted to reach through my computer and punch someone in the face, it was then. I'm usually super laid back but getting booted from an entire raid group because of some idiot douchebag when you've done nothing wrong stings like hot fire.

On the first day the new ToT LFR was open, I came into the group on the Council fight as off-tank. We wiped because we were down a healer, the DPS weren't focusing the purple guy, and the main tank wasn't geared enough to handle tanking the frost dude. Just your usual first-day jitters and issues. The tank said he kept getting stunned because I wasn't taunting off him (which is no problem in LFR), and the raid just kicked both of us.

Fast-forward two weeks and I can get the raid through both of the open tiers with no wipes.

Trickster

Really?

Jade Forest is a lush green locale, very peaceful, lots of classic asian-style structures.
But then Krasarang Wilds is a dense jungle opening out on to a long golden beach.
Then you have Kun-lai, which is a cold, almost Northrend feeling place with a huge beautiful mountain. Lots of barren land too, feels like a harsh place to be.
And then again, Dread Wastes is a dark twisted bug infested place.

That's quite a lot of variety.

Well, compare that to Cataclysm.

Vashj'ir - underwater zone, with spawling colours and sealife. Completely different from all other zones so far in wow.

Uldum - Desert with egyptian and titan themes

Mount Hyjal - Mount fucking hyjal, where you are pretty much fighting agains ragnaros' forces and the twilight's hammer

Deepholm - The earth elemental plane, imo the best looking zone in the game.

That last zone was shit though.

As for the MoP zones, you clearly have your oppinion on them, but let me say what I feel about them.

Jade Forest - The only actual good zone in MoP, can't disagree with too much of what you said. I also like it because it's the only fucking zone in MoP that delivered on the horde vs alliance thing that blizzard advertised as being the main focal point of the expansion, due to the lack of an atagonist such as arthas and deathwing.

Krasarang Wilds - This zone is boring as shit, it feels like a slighty darker version of STV, visually. The quests and stories in the zone are boring as can be, you kill some animals, cleanse some sha, and help some old NE ( if you're alliance ) find some magic water...

Kun-lai - You say it's a northrend feeling place with pretty mountains. I say barren, brown and yellow zone with the most boring quests in the expansion. I imagine blizzards thought process was something akin to "okay guys, we need another asian feeling zone, lets do tibet!" with no one having the realization that tibet is a dull fucking place with a lot of nothing

Dread Wastes - Interesting concept, but the fact that it looks like a re-texturerized version of townlong steppes, it just comes off as lazy at first glance. Doesn't help that I find the klaxxi extremely ugly and boring either.

I know that's not really objective analysis or anything, but that's my honest to god feelings about those zones. Not like I bought MoP wanting to hate the zones either...

Well, compare that to Cataclysm.

Vashj'ir - underwater zone, with spawling colours and sealife. Completely different from all other zones so far in wow.

Uldum - Desert with egyptian and titan themes

Mount Hyjal - Mount fucking hyjal, where you are pretty much fighting agains ragnaros' forces and the twilight's hammer

Deepholm - The earth elemental plane, imo the best looking zone in the game.

That last zone was shit though.

As for the MoP zones, you clearly have your oppinion on them, but let me say what I feel about them.

Jade Forest - The only actual good zone in MoP, can't disagree with too much of what you said. I also like it because it's the only fucking zone in MoP that delivered on the horde vs alliance thing that blizzard advertised as being the main focal point of the expansion, due to the lack of an atagonist such as arthas and deathwing.

Krasarang Wilds - This zone is boring as shit, it feels like a slighty darker version of STV, visually. The quests and stories in the zone are boring as can be, you kill some animals, cleanse some sha, and help some old NE ( if you're alliance ) find some magic water...

Kun-lai - You say it's a northrend feeling place with pretty mountains. I say barren, brown and yellow zone with the most boring quests in the expansion. I imagine blizzards thought process was something akin to "okay guys, we need another asian feeling zone, lets do tibet!" with no one having the realization that tibet is a dull fucking place with a lot of nothing

Dread Wastes - Interesting concept, but the fact that it looks like a re-texturerized version of townlong steppes, it just comes off as lazy at first glance. Doesn't help that I find the klaxxi extremely ugly and boring either.

I know that's not really objective analysis or anything, but that's my honest to god feelings about those zones. Not like I bought MoP wanting to hate the zones either...

I agree with this, though I think I liked Kun-Lai a bit more than you did. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, I absolutely LOVE this expansion, I just feel that Blizzard could have done a few things differently to make it even better.

Angry Grimace

The entirety of the endgame is marred by Daily Quest Mania.

Opened my 3rd egg today and got the red raptor. I actually like it as much or more as the black one, perhaps because it's new. But I've always wanted the savage raptor and this one is almost identical to that.

red_raptor_mount_zpscae718d4.jpg

I like it. Most WoW continents feel like theme parks, which MOP managed to not do for once.
I dont have any issue with zones all being crazy and different, but I really like pandaria for whatever reason. It feels very cohesive.

True, but once you get past them there's plenty to do that has nothing to do with any of the daily quest-lines. The main thing is it completely kills alting..

Agreed. The commendations don't really do enough to alleviate the issues with rep grinds for alts.

ZenaxPure

Eh, I think I am in the camp where I prefer that the zones are similar yet still different in their own ways. Comparing it to cataclysm is just a bad example all around, Cata zones were meant to be vastly different. Each zone (save Twilight Highlands) was supposed to represent an element since the elemental plane had been ripped and pulled to that location. Pandaria on the other hand (and the rest of azeroth, northrend included) is supposed to feel more natural. You go from Howling Fjord to Grizzly Hills seeing a slight change in scenery but not enough to be jarring, same thing when going from even Elywnn forest to Duskwood. The zones feel very different but they are still similar since technically they are apart of the same forest, just separated by a river.

If each Pandaria zone was as different as the cata zones it wouldn't make any logical sense since it's supposed to be a connected continent. This is how all the other continents flow as well (Durotar -> Barrens, Tirisfal -> EW/PL, etc.) The only thing as different as Cata zones would be Outland, but this is very much justified by the fact that Outland at one point was a planet of its own (that may have been as big as Azeroth at one point for all we know) and we are simply exploring the last few remnants that weren't destroyed by the explosion.

Agreed. The commendations don't really do enough to alleviate the issues with rep grinds for alts.

Disagree 100% My DK did 5.0 dailies a grand total of 1 time (and that was 1 set of GL dailies) before he could set foot into LFR and he has only cleared MSV once and he can now do HoF/Terrace. Got him there with 1 night of commendation farming on my main.

Tamanon

Banned
I disagree about alting, I'm a terminal altaholic and have no problem with multiple characters at 90. The reps aren't really required, and many of the good rewards for alts are ~honored. LFR itself helps alts gear up a lot quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom