• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

I'm not really talking about the named people. The final DK quest literally has you waging war against the Argent Dawn and there is a ticker counting down how much of their army is left. It's not explicitly stated how many of the Argent Dawn's order is at Light's Hope Chapel in that battle, but pretty much every non-named member is killed there.

As for the order, the quest text clearly states it's a new thing so whatever, I don't want to argue in circles or anything, believe what you wish. You also need to keep in mind Fordring would not have the slightest clue about other members (who were mostly gathered in Stormwind during vanilla) as he spent all of his late-life time in E/WPL.

Let's be real here, those numbers don't matter and never have mattered. Look at the numbers they supposedly use for the blood elf/high elf population, and that was pre tempest keep/netherstorm/sunwell/shadowmoon/black temple elf genocide, yet there's still a billion blood/high elves in wow.

Slayerx

What is this thing? :eek:
SteelWarhorseMount.jpg
On the subject of zones, I like how Pandaria zones are constructed honestly, it feels like one cohesive place instead of any old world continent where they use ugly looking mountain ranges to separate every zone. Definitely the best world design they've done in WoW to date and moving away from Cataclysm style roller coaster ride zone design, which had zero replayability, was also the right decision, in Pandaria it at least feels like you have some choice of where you can go and quest.

Rokam

That horse looks like the ones from the beginning of Bioshock Infinite. There's also a new Pegasus mount, but the model isn't skinned or finished.

I still want to know what's up with the Bad Robot pet.

Slayerx

They even named him Worse Robot at least that's what it said when I last checked. So either the usual pop reference or JJ Abrams somehow involved in WoW movie? I mean there is no doubt that it's going to come out now.

ZenaxPure

Man that horse is awesome, I really want it. I also saw on wowhead today that there will be new Brawler's guild fights in the patch! Super excited for that, there also appears to be a mount called Brawler's Burly Mushan Beast, which I assume will come from the guild as well based on the name. I only have 2 more fights standing in my way of rank 8, need to finish that up soon but I've been side tracked with all the new mounts added this patch.

BITCHES BE ALL OVER THIS

ib1LQI5aKTBi0U.jpg

Dunno why I pulled this out of the void, I've been wearing T3 as my transmog (and will probably go back to it soon), but I have a soft spot for AQ even if the set was ugly as hell. Nothing quite like 40 man C'Thun or Ouro. #randomnostalgia
I've always liked the tier 2.5 shoulders. But it's hard to find a good set to match unless you go full doomcaller. The helm is fairly unique too.

Jade Forest is fantastic from a level design perspective. There's no other zone in the game that's so fun to just run around and explore, where there's something new to see around every corner. All the other Pandaria zones reverted to monotonous rolling plains or dense forest with near zero variation, excepting Kun-lai Summit proper.
Yeah I think jade forest was great. And i love how the entire zone is mostly under the cover of trees and mountains, and then you finally get to valley of the four winds (my personal favorite of MoP), and everthing opens up with a fantastic view of everything and at the foot of a huge wall of cliffs. I think i just liked the pandarians as a race as a whole and their lore was fantastic. Such a calm demeanor and enjoy life by taking it slow perspective.
I wasn't a fan of the lower level Northrend zones. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for lore. The only zone I really loved was Icecrown.
I enjoyed Borean Tundra, Sholazar Basin, Icecrown, and Storm Peaks the most. Grizzly Hills, which seems to be a favorite of many, was just okay. That music drove me up a wall, so I turned it off. But the cursed worgen story-line was entertaining enough. Oh and speaking of music, Icecrown - awful lol. That repetitious drum beat got old fast.
The problem with the cata zones was that they felt too disconnected from each other. This was mainly because that they were not part of a single continent, unlike the other expansions.

The other issue with doing it like they did in cataclysm, is that they completely ignored one of the strongest aspects of the northrend zones, that overarching story with the antagonist of the expansion, and how the bleed directly into every zone.

However the Cataclysm zones, despite being more seperated from each other than the other expansion pack zones, were still much, much more interesting that the MoP zones. Which for the most part consists of either A - asian feeling forests. Or B - asian feeling open plain and mountains
I absolutely hated the fact that cata zones weren't connected. It took away from the immersion factor having to go back through earlier expansion zones to get to other cata zones. Just didn't feel like an expansion to me and more like a mega patch.

EDIT:
Not to add to my lengthy post, but i was looking at the drops i've gotten in forgotten depths thus far.

• Frostborn Wristwraps: already have troll-burn bracers
  • Crystal-Claw Gloves: already have tier 15 (the only useful drop I've gotten so far and that was in the first section of ToT's Last Stand of the Zandalari)
  • Megaera's Shining Eye x 2: already have destroyer's battle tags

This game is trolling me hard. 4 drops in 3 weeks. all useless...

EDIT2:
How are pallys at soloing the warbringers? I've been all hot on getting my dk leveled to 90, but i have an 86 pally. It would be much easier getting him to 90 instead and I'm already familiar with the play style and rotations, both prot and ret.

Tarazet

What is this thing? :eek:

On the subject of zones, I like how Pandaria zones are constructed honestly, it feels like one cohesive place instead of any old world continent where they use ugly looking mountain ranges to separate every zone. Definitely the best world design they've done in WoW to date and moving away from Cataclysm style roller coaster ride zone design, which had zero replayability, was also the right decision, in Pandaria it at least feels like you have some choice of where you can go and quest.

Thunder Island is the exception. It feels tacked on, especially since you have to port there from the Shado-Pan outpost. I don't like the art design or the quest design there at all.

The more I play the game, the more I realize that with a laptop, I don't have nearly enough buttons on my mouse. It's like I could have bound something in there, but I can't, because mine's just a standard 3-button mouse, in every way.

...Maybe it's a sign for me to replace the mouse. ...right?

Rokam

Thunder Island is the exception. It feels tacked on, especially since you have to port there from the Shado-Pan outpost. I don't like the art design or the quest design there at all.

At least the music is great, especially in the area near the thunder forge!

One thing I'm not a fan of about Thunder Isle is that you can barely move a few feet without pulling 5 mobs. The quests are okay at first, but they do get old fast. For what it is I don't mind. You can get done with the rep really fast and then you only have to go back if you want to do the treasure chest scenario. And killing rares giving the 15 valor points isn't bad either. They spawn frequently enough.

I was killing the fletchling skyscreamers trying to get the achievement for scaring away the rare blue colored one. I put the npc id into npcscan and couldn't figure out why it wasn't going off, but said the npc had already been found. Turns out, the blue sky screamer had been up the whole time and i was in the wrong spot. Found it shortly after and got the cheeve, "blue response."

ZenaxPure

I don't think I'd consider the Isle of Thunder tacked on considering Blizzard stated they started working on it over a year ago, the island has always been on the map, there WAS a placeholder island there before it with random troll/mogu buildings on it from launch, not to mention all the story stuff talking about it...

How are pallys at soloing the warbringers? I've been all hot on getting my dk leveled to 90, but i have an 86 pally. It would be much easier getting him to 90 instead and I'm already familiar with the play style and rotations, both prot and ret.

Same way DKs are, tank spec. It seems a bit sketchier than DKs from what I have seen, but it is possible to do. You have to use holy power on healing yourself more often, which leads to less holy power you can spend on dealing damage. But, I have seen a prot paladin solo one.

Actually though, I totally saw a Warlock solo one a few nights ago, was damn impressive. Used no pet, and, used burning rush to kite him around in a huge circle. He would stop to regain HP at his gateway and when the boss started to close in he would just use the gateway and start kiting again. I was really surprised honestly, didn't expect it to work, but, a few minutes later the warbringer fell over from his DoTs (he was affliction). Talk about a creative kill.

The more I play the game, the more I realize that with a laptop, I don't have nearly enough buttons on my mouse. It's like I could have bound something in there, but I can't, because mine's just a standard 3-button mouse, in every way.

...Maybe it's a sign for me to replace the mouse. ...right?

I couldn't ever live with a mouse with such few buttons. I'm the kind of person who likes having just about everything keybound (including food, potions, mounts, etc.) so having mouse buttons is a must. Mostly though because I never got into PC gaming until I was 15 or so, and, having a lot of mouse buttons on my mouse makes the M/KB setup feel a lot more like a controller since in a case like WoW, both hands are actually doing something.

I couldn't ever live with a mouse with such few buttons. I'm the kind of person who likes having just about everything keybound (including food, potions, mounts, etc.) so having mouse buttons is a must. Mostly though because I never got into PC gaming until I was 15 or so, and, having a lot of mouse buttons on my mouse makes the M/KB setup feel a lot more like a controller since in a case like WoW, both hands are actually doing something.

And since I'm a very portable gamer, I tend to want to move around a lot. That leaves... um, the Razer Orochi. 4 extra buttons, isn't glossy (if I don't want it to be), and both USB and Bluetooth. I hope I don't mess this up...

Also, I memorized my randomly generated by a password manager password for Battle.net. I think things are just about to get serious...

Same way DKs are, tank spec. It seems a bit sketchier than DKs from what I have seen, but it is possible to do. You have to use holy power on healing yourself more often, which leads to less holy power you can spend on dealing damage. But, I have seen a prot paladin solo one.

Actually though, I totally saw a Warlock solo one a few nights ago, was damn impressive. Used no pet, and, used burning rush to kite him around in a huge circle. He would stop to regain HP at his gateway and when the boss started to close in he would just use the gateway and start kiting again. I was really surprised honestly, didn't expect it to work, but, a few minutes later the warbringer fell over from his DoTs (he was affliction). Talk about a creative kill.
Thanks. I think I'm going to work on getting the paly to 90. Not sure if I want to try the affliction method or not, but I might give it a whirl on a night when i have some time. Do the different warbringers have different abilities? I tried soloing one and i kept getting swarmed by bugs. I wasn't expecting them and didn't know how to avoid them. All people talk about are the ghost adds summoned and avoiding the warbringers abilities.

ZenaxPure

Thanks. I think I'm going to work on getting the paly to 90. Not sure if I want to try the affliction method or not, but I might give it a whirl on a night when i have some time. Do the different warbringers have different abilities? I tried soloing one and i kept getting swarmed by bugs. I wasn't expecting them and didn't know how to avoid them. All people talk about are the ghost adds summoned and avoiding the warbringers abilities.

All the warbringers spawn with 4 abilities from a pool of 5, so, they will be missing 1 ability each time. You can see what abilities they have by looking at their buffs. Those abilities are

1) Ghost, slow moving, melee for 100k+, kite them around or die.
2) Scarabs, barely do any damage, just aoe them down quickly.
3) Meteor shower, meteors fall from the sky, deal ~150k fire damage when they land, don't stand in it (adjusting your camera to look straight down at the ground helps here)
4) Thunder crush, AOE cone in front of them that deals ~250k nature damage. Has a 2 second cast time so you can run through them to avoid it. One thing to note though, if you are doing it on a not tank man and the Warbringer has scarabs/thunder crush, the scarabs can daze you so you want to kill them before he thunder crushes since daze can make it hard to get out of the way.
5) Last ability is the worst, Horrific Visage. Fear that lasts 8 seconds, used to be interruptable but it is not since the hotfix. You will die during this if you don't blow cooldowns before hand. Your best bet is saving all abilities that break fear for when this happens. It wasn't a big deal as a DK since they have 3 abilities that break fear, but, I am not sure what paladins have besides bubble. From my experience they cast fear every minute to minute and a half.

All the warbringers spawn with 4 abilities from a pool of 5, so, they will be missing 1 ability each time. You can see what abilities they have by looking at their buffs. Those abilities are

1) Ghost, slow moving, melee for 100k+, kite them around or die.
2) Scarabs, barely do any damage, just aoe them down quickly.
3) Meteor shower, meteors fall from the sky, deal ~150k fire damage when they land, don't stand in it (adjusting your camera to look straight down at the ground helps here)
4) Thunder crush, AOE cone in front of them that deals ~250k nature damage. Has a 2 second cast time so you can run through them to avoid it. One thing to note though, if you are doing it on a not tank man and the Warbringer has scarabs/thunder crush, the scarabs can daze you so you want to kill them before he thunder crushes since daze can make it hard to get out of the way.
5) Last ability is the worst, Horrific Visage. Fear that lasts 8 seconds, used to be interruptable but it is not since the hotfix. You will die during this if you don't blow cooldowns before hand. Your best bet is saving all abilities that break fear for when this happens. It wasn't a big deal as a DK since they have 3 abilities that break fear, but, I am not sure what paladins have besides bubble. From my experience they cast fear every minute to minute and a half.
Wow. I didn't understand how the abilities worked, so this will help a lot! Thank you. I think it will just take a lot of practice. I tried a warbringer one time and realized i didn't have a clue what i was doing so i stopped.

Looks like I smashed my head right up to the level cap. Time to stop playing for a while... and pony up...

I think I'll just Battle Chest first for another 30 days. That should be a lot of time to play...

Maybe I'll go pre-paid.

Westlo

Man these Lighting Steel Ingots... I think I'll save them for hopefully some added items in 5.4 if not 5.3.

I just can't see a good market for the "Transmog" weapons and they won't be good enough for actual use, why would you pay "15k" or whatever it settles down to for a 463 weapon when you can pay 3k for a Masterwork Spiritblade Decimator which is the same ilevel.

I'm gonna bank on them being used for something in the future so I can cash it all in that patch.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Got kicked from a LFR and I still don't know why. I got a weird tell from some guy that was like "ahahhahah" and then a few seconds later, I'm removed from the group. Nothing in chat to give me a clue and my DPS kinda sucked, but wasn't near the bottom of the chart or anything.

It is a mystery

Tamanon

Banned
Man these Lighting Steel Ingots... I think I'll save them for hopefully some added items in 5.4 if not 5.3.

I just can't see a good market for the "Transmog" weapons and they won't be good enough for actual use, why would you pay "15k" or whatever it settles down to for a 463 weapon when you can pay 3k for a Masterwork Spiritblade Decimator which is the same ilevel.

I'm gonna bank on them being used for something in the future so I can cash it all in that patch.

Well, keep in mind that making a weapon unlocks the 476 version, and then from that one the final version should be available to make, I think it's 498, just unlocked Mooncleaver.

Wait a second, what's an LFR?

Also... sometimes I want to play with you guys together, but... anyone on Oceanic realms?

LFR is a level 90 thing called Looking For Raid. Basically it's a 25-man fight against a few huge bosses. Kinda an extension of the Dungeons you're able to do right now in the Dungeon Finder.

Ripclawe

Banned
so finally realized long after than I should have that just running around tagging horde in kings landing and let the NPCs kill them gets me +20 rep for black prince.. FML.

Note to self: Pandaren drags out a lot, quite unexpectedly so...

I guess I'm more of an actiony guy myself, in terms of both character and "story".

Maybe I should start experimenting with controlled PvP. I have actually won my first duel, but I wonder what that does...

Tarazet

Note to self: Pandaren drags out a lot, quite unexpectedly so...

I guess I'm more of an actiony guy myself, in terms of both character and "story".

Maybe I should start experimenting with controlled PvP. I have actually won my first duel, but I wonder what that does...

Dueling is just for fun. The actual PvP is an endless wormhole, and if you do it while leveling you'll be up against people who have been playing in that level bracket for years and will do 3-4 times the damage or healing that you can.

Tarazet

Wanted to share my hilarious method for killing warscouts on my just-hit-90 monk healer.

Paralyze any ability you don't want going off. Allow time for cooldown to pass. Regen some mana, file your nails. Chi-Burst + Jade lightening. Repeat as necessary. For 15 minutes :p

AKA if you don't have the gear, cheat!

Sounds like the way I completed the Monk exp-buff quests in starter whites after getting a bunch of RAF levels.

cdyhybrid

Wanted to share my hilarious method for killing warscouts on my just-hit-90 monk healer.

Paralyze any ability you don't want going off. Allow time for cooldown to pass. Regen some mana, file your nails. Chi-Burst + Jade lightening. Repeat as necessary. For 15 minutes :p

AKA if you don't have the gear, cheat!

I do this on my 491-ish Windwalker. I don't need to lock them down like that but it's safer that way. Usually Fists of Fury, Leg Sweep, and whatever the interrupt is called is enough, though.

Dueling is just for fun. The actual PvP is an endless wormhole, and if you do it while leveling you'll be up against people who have been playing in that level bracket for years and will do 3-4 times the damage or healing that you can.

Hmm... Anything that I should be aware of while doing stuff pike this?

Gamble

I'm trying really hard not to resub to this but reading through this thread is wearing me down slowly....and I just got paid.....

cdyhybrid

Someone was making fun of me for doing it :p In the 'lol ur bad!' way. Hey, it works!

At least I am not the only one. 'Beetles? NOPE! Fear? NOPE! Spirits? NOPE! Yeah, go ahead with the meteors, that's fine. Ground slam whatever, I'm too far away.'

They can call me bad all they want, I'm the one with the loot.

ZenaxPure

I'm trying really hard not to resub to this but reading through this thread is wearing me down slowly....and I just got paid.....

Do it, mists is amazing!

At least I am not the only one. 'Beetles? NOPE! Fear? NOPE! Spirits? NOPE! Yeah, go ahead with the meteors, that's fine. Ground slam whatever, I'm too far away.'

This is how I fight them on my rogue. Gouge only has a 10 second cooldown, and if you're a cool rogue you get the criminally underrated talent that allows your DoTs to not break gouge. I just gouge any ability I don't want to deal with and it works similar to an interrupt so they will just move on to something else or go back to punching you.

Hmm... Anything that I should be aware of while doing stuff pike this?

Not really, Battlegrounds (the PVP objective based stuff, you can que for them like dungeons) actually give xp but it's still not as fast as questing. The only real thing you need to know is none of it is balanced at lower levels since you won't have all of your abilities unlocked. I mean, if you do it and have fun doing it keep doing it, but that can be said for anything in the game.

Gamble

Do it, mists is amazing!

This is how I fight them on my rogue. Gouge only has a 10 second cooldown, and if you're a cool rogue you get the criminally underrated talent that allows your DoTs to not break gouge. I just gouge any ability I don't want to deal with and it works similar to an interrupt so they will just move on to something else or go back to punching you.

Not really, Battlegrounds (the PVP objective based stuff, you can que for them like dungeons) actually give xp but it's still not as fast as questing. The only real thing you need to know is none of it is balanced at lower levels since you won't have all of your abilities unlocked. I mean, if you do it and have fun doing it keep doing it, but that can be said for anything in the game.

the peer pressure

ZenaxPure

I am really close to resubbing after a couple of years, may even need a scroll of resurrection. Now what to level to 80, my UD priest or my Human Paladin mmm

Well, if you or anyone else needs a scroll and are on US servers I'd happily send one, I still don't have the mount from the scroll ;)

Started leveling my pally. Did some LFD and started collecting the tanking pieces from each of the quests when you first enter a new instance. Now I'm on the dungeon finder train. It's happening! I'm currently halfway between 87 and 88.
Got kicked from a LFR and I still don't know why. I got a weird tell from some guy that was like "ahahhahah" and then a few seconds later, I'm removed from the group. Nothing in chat to give me a clue and my DPS kinda sucked, but wasn't near the bottom of the chart or anything.

It is a mystery
Seems to be happening a lot. I'm glad that there is a way to boot people who afk or aren't contributing, but man it's getting abused to no end. Not sure if there is any solution though.

How geared is your rogue? I'm gonna have to try all these tricks lol. It will be a week or two before i have some decent gear. Still doing heroics atm.

ZenaxPure

How geared is your rogue? I'm gonna have to try all these tricks lol. It will be a week or two before i have some decent gear. Still doing heroics atm.

This is him. Only 492 equipped despite being my main, I just don't want to commit to a real raiding guild right now and I am very content with just running LFR. Nothing special with him really, though, I did upgrade quite a few items (some of which I've already replaced) back in 5.1. Nothing you can't achieve with enough effort, heck, my paladin is 487 equipped and I've been working on him less than a month now.

Ripclawe

Banned
I finally realized why I hate Isle of Thunder. After going thru mists where its colorful, the quests are varied and then coming back to Isle where its dreary and the quests are just the same grind over and over again, it is boring.

Tarazet

Successfully tanked 10N Elite Protectors with our guild tonight in ToES. The DPS was falling a little short in our first few attempts, until we made the decision to lust from the gun and have a healer use Heart of the Wild to nuke during that phase. It was too hard to keep good uptime on the last phase with just Kaolan up because of all the movement. That time we beat enrage with over a minute to go.

More importantly though, we got down Jin'rokh. It was really no more difficult than Protectors.

Slayerx

Semi-addicted to pet battles now but baby blizzard bear is so useless it's making me go into Yoshi levels of rage and I leveled it to 22.

Why isn't this thing on my phone yet?

TheYanger

I finally realized why I hate Isle of Thunder. After going thru mists where its colorful, the quests are varied and then coming back to Isle where its dreary and the quests are just the same grind over and over again, it is boring.

Do the pvp dailies. They're WAY better/faster.

ZenaxPure

Semi-addicted to pet battles now but baby blizzard bear is so useless it's making me go into Yoshi levels of rage and I leveled it to 22.

Don't worry, every pet will have its use somewhere (especially on the Pandaren Spirits who are using pets with types that they shouldn't be). Also once you have a good set of dudes and can take out the Pandaren tamers easily, leveling becomes comedy. Defeating one of the Pandaren tamers while wearing the Safari hat gives over 5k pet experience at lower levels.

Like, right now I currently have 14 pets at level 25. Which, most of it was out of necessity. Once you get to Northrend tamers you will need to start mixing your team up more often as they use epic quality pets.

Fjordson

I am really close to resubbing after a couple of years, may even need a scroll of resurrection. Now what to level to 80, my UD priest or my Human Paladin mmm
I'm pretty close to resubbing also. Quit about month after Mists because I wasn't really playing much due to real life stuff and work, but I got a free week of time offer from Blizzard last week and am playing a lot. I think Wow will always be able to pull me back in :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom